Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Good morning and Happy Friday!

Did anyone notice the surprise in today’s Daily Food picture? I will be putting some interesting pictures in the Daily Pics that won’t make it on the blog, so keep your eyes peeled. I have also added Daily Pic previews on the right sidebar that will take you to the page.

Also, check out my recipes page when you get a chance. I added a bunch of snazzy pictures for each category!

It is amazing what I can accomplish when Project Food Blog gives us a week extension. ;) I have had a chance to get caught up on a lot of blog related things this week, so it has been nice.

Steve and Joanne are coming over tonight so I thought I would bake up a delicious treat for them. They go crazy for my baked goods and I like to bake them something new whenever we get together. I think Steve is going to bring his new Kinect gaming system, so we will need all the energy we can get! I wonder if these go well with beer…hmm…My mind never stops I tell ya… ;)

20101112IMG 0442 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Chewy, crunchy, delicate, and sweet. Packed with walnuts and dried fruit, these all natural energy bites will have you buzzing along in no time. They can easily be adapted with other dried fruits, nuts, and spices and would be perfect for outdoor Fall and Winter activities.

Adapted from Joy of Baking.

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup whole-grain Kamut flour (or all-purpose, whole wheat, etc)
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup  Sucanat or light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups toasted walnuts (can also use pecans, hazelnuts or almonds), chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
  • 12 Medjool dates (approx 1 cup chopped dates), pits removed and chopped (or figs, and/or prunes)
  • 1 cup dried apricots, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
  • 1 tbsp almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions: Preheat oven to 325F. Line a square pan (8 or 9 inch) with parchment paper across both sides for easy lifting. In a small bowl mix together the flax egg and set aside.

Chop and toast the walnuts for 8-9 minutes at 325F. Remove from oven and set aside. Toasting the nuts really brings out the flavour so you don’t want to skip this step.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the walnuts and dried fruit. Make sure the nuts and dried fruit are all coated with the flour mixture.

Mix the vanilla into the flax egg after it has thickened up after about 10 minutes.

Add the flax egg mixture and the 1 tbsp almond milk to the fruit and nut mixture and mix well. Spread into the pan, pressing with fingers to even it out. I used a pastry roller too.

Bake for about 33-35 minutes at 325For until golden in colour. Remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Now transfer back into the pan and placein freezer to set for 10 minutes. Remove from pan once again and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Now slice the bites up with a sharp knife. Makes 16-20 bites depending on how large you make them. I made them smaller as they are very dense energy wise.

Doesn’t everyone buy Medjool dates by the11 pound box? ;)

20101112IMG 0346 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

I love Medjool dates! They also make great pre-run fuel. I pack a couple of pitted medjool dates with me during my races.

20101112IMG 0350 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

First up, toast your chopped walnuts for 8-9 minutes at 325F.

20101112IMG 0355 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Now mix the flax egg and set it aside so it can gel up!

20101112IMG 0368 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Flax eggs are delightful. After 10 minutes, the ground flax + water mixture turns into this beautiful gel with a consistency just like an egg!

Not only are they a great egg replacer, but flax eggs are also much cheaper than eggs and budget friendly.

Gather up the ingredients…

20101112IMG 0366 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Mix the flour, salt, spices, sugar, and leavening agents together. Then add in the dried fruit and nuts.

20101112IMG 0375 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Mix well so every nut and dried fruit piece is coated with flour.

20101112IMG 0379 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Now add in the flax egg, almond milk, and vanilla (mix together before pouring into bowl)…

20101112IMG 0382 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Spread into a pan and whip out that pastry roller if you have one!

20101112IMG 0383 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Bake for 33-35 mins at 325F.

20101112IMG 0403 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Yummy. The edges will be crispy and delightful, but it will still be chewy on the inside.

Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes and then pop back into the pan and place in the freezer to set for another 10 minutes.

20101112IMG 0395 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Sit at room temperature for 10 minutes and then slice with a very sharp knife.

Be careful my dear readers.

20101112IMG 0409 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

These bites are delicious, but they aren’t worth losing a finger over. ;)

20101112IMG 0408 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

The result?

20 mini energy bites that taste incredible! They are crispy on the outer edges and chewy and crunchy in the middle. The dried fruit and walnuts makes these quite energy dense, so I prefer mini bites when slicing them up.

20101112IMG 0404 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

Of course, you can experiment with all kinds of mix-ins! If you adapt the recipe, leave a comment and share with others. :)

20101112IMG 0413 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

You can even wrap them up for a beautiful gift for the holidays!

20101112IMG 0429 thumb   Fruit and Nut Energy Bites

I wrapped these up with a small piece of parchment (about 1.5 times the length and the same width of a bite) and then wrapped with a ribbon. Portable and cute.

I am excited for this weekend because I finally get to show you my PFB video on Sunday that I have been sitting on for a whole week. :)

Have a GREAT start to your weekend.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 12, 2010

Anything that comes in “bites” just means you get to eat double.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 12, 2010

I just looked for a “like” button for this comment. Ha!

Rhea (Greek Feaster) November 12, 2010

YUM. I will definitely be making these this weekend. I unearthed a massive stockpile of nuts in my freezer (yes, I am a squirrel) and I’ll sub in a mix for the walnuts here!
I can’t WAIT for your PFB video to premiere. I think we are more excited than you are! :P

Fallon November 12, 2010

I love the recipe page! I like the pictures for each new category, so cute!

I haven’t had medjool dates in forever! I should invest in an 11 pound box as well =P

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks November 12, 2010

Wow the wrapping on your energy bars is absolutely adorable, Angela. And I love dates too — they’re a great pick-me-up snack when I’m running to class and I have to put off my lunch by a couple hours. Dates have saved me from many a midday slump!

Kacy November 12, 2010

They look so pretty all wrapped up! I bet they’d go nice with an oatmeal stout or another dark, substantial beer :)

Ashley November 12, 2010

Is it strange that I want your cooling rack? And I love your bright plastic mixing spoons…ohhh nerdy foodie alert! ;) Looks like a winner of a recipe to me and the new globar looks OUTstanding!!

jenna November 12, 2010

this recipe sounds awesome!

I just bought my first box of parchment paper….i’m seriously in love! i’m cant believe i have been missing out on it for so long.

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 12, 2010

That would be so good to take to work!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 12, 2010

I love the way you wrapped them! So cute. :)

lisa @ early morning run November 12, 2010

these look and sound delicious. I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to limit myself to just one though! Thanks for the recipe and detailed pictures – definitely a huge help!

Allison @ Food for Healing November 12, 2010

my bf would LOVE these, he loves dates, it would be a total hit in our place if i made something like this.

sarah November 12, 2010

I’m making this 4 a picnic at the beach!!!

Jazz November 12, 2010

This is more for the pumpkin post, but now that you love coffee, you should try pumpkin latte oatmeal in the morning, just sub some coffee for some of the water.. it’s fantastic!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2010

YUM!!!

Stacie November 12, 2010

Are you able to add a few more links under your “Recent Posts” section? I love your daily picture(s), but it eats up a lot of space under your recent posts and then I can’t tell if I missed one of your lovely posts….I would HATE to have that happen. ;) No worries if you can’t….I will still love your blog just a much!! tee hee….

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2010

That is a great idea! Ive actually been looking for a widget that removes the daily pics from the new posts list…will keep working on it. If all else fails I will make the list longer for you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2010

I have expanded the recent posts list :)

Stacie November 12, 2010

Yeah!!! Thanks so much :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2010

np! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2010

its working now!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 12, 2010

Love these!

Steph@stephsbitebybite November 12, 2010

These look so delish! I could use about ten of those right now :) My energy is quickly taking a dive

Megan @ The Daily Sweat November 12, 2010

These look tasty! Do you know the nutritional stats on them?

Whitney "To Live and Diet in L.A." November 23, 2010

These bars are sooo good! I lowered the calorie count on mine by replacing the sugar with Truvia (O cals). I also used 3/4 almonds and 3/4 walnuts and instead of cherries, used prunes. Made like this, with a serving size of 16, I estimated they are about 108 calories each.

Maria November 12, 2010

I saw a double sided pastry roller at HomeGoods the other day and thought of you! I turned to my fiance and said, “Oh! I know what this is! I saw it on a blog!” :P

Faith @ lovelyascharged November 12, 2010

Oh man, I am loving all these ideas for homemade goodies that I can give as Christmas gifts! Yep, I’m gonna be “that girl” this year!

Charlie November 12, 2010

Those bites look delicious! I love the daily pics idea!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 12, 2010

I love how dense these are!! Definitely packed full of good energy-producing goodies. Love that they’re quick to make, too!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 12, 2010

These look great for a burst of energy…or a sweet tooth satisfaction :-)

Krystina (Basil & Wine) November 12, 2010

How cute are those? I love the way you packaged them.

Katy @ A Healthy Shot November 12, 2010

Ok, nerdy comment: I love that you post pictures of all of the ingredients pre measured!! And these bars have me drooling on my desk, as do most of your recipes ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2010

I enjoy the ingredient shots too :) We can be nerds together!

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow November 12, 2010

Love the parchment and ribbon wrapping! I can’t tell but is that parchment lavender in color? If so where did u find that?!?’ love the presentation ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2010

Nope it is just regular parchment…must be the lighting!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 12, 2010

Aww so cute! I actually saw an ad this morning at the gym on TV for Kinect (the first one I’ve ever noticed in my life) and thought of you immediately!! Hope you have fun tonight!

Lindsey@ Enjoying Healthy Foods November 12, 2010

Those look amazing! Thank you for sharing!!!

Wei-Wei November 12, 2010

Can’t wait to see your video – and I’m enjoying these step-by-step posts more than ever! Keep it up :D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 12, 2010

love the ribbon and parchment…oh, beyond gourment professional looking!!

Great recipe, of course! :)

“Doesn’t everyone buy Medjool dates by the11 pound box?”–
Actually there are women I know who are high raw vegans with big families and they buy an amazon or an azure standard order of like 50 pounds at a time. I kid you not. I won’t link drop but there is a blogger (former) who’s shown pics of what she orders to feed a family of 7 (all high raw vegan) and what the quantity of food looks like for a month (she orders much of it) and the raw dates, raw nuts, it’s dizzying…in the 50-100 pound range!!

So 11 lbs, that’s nothing :)

Camille November 12, 2010

I have been looking for a great energy bar recipe that this seems like the one!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman November 12, 2010

These look great. And I love the whole Martha Stewart vibe your blog has had these past couple of months. That wrapping is adorable.

Stefanie November 12, 2010

Those look like a nice energy boost in a bite. They are cute how you wrapped them up. Have fun playing your games. :)

Lauren November 12, 2010

Do you think it would be possible to somehow connect the daily photo page to your RSS feed so that it shows up in reader? Not to cause you a headache or anything, but it sure would be nifty…

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2010

I was thinking about that, but I was afraid of overwhelming goodle reader with all the posts…

Katie November 12, 2010

Hi Angela,

I have a question about your breakfast cakes. Are they meant to be eaten hot out of the oven, at room temperature, or cold out of the fridge? Thanks and I can’t wait to make them!

Traci November 12, 2010

These look so yummy, cute and energetic all wrapped into one :) I just signed up for my first half marathon in April and these look like perfect little snacks!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) November 12, 2010

These are adorable, just bookmarked this page. You are giving me really great Christmas gift ideas because my financial situation right now is not as good as it was last year. I guess thats what I get for going for my Masters! Can I just come live up there near you because I think we would get along great :)

Sue November 12, 2010

I can’t keep up with you! You post one recipe that I have to try and I’m in the middle of that… and then you post another. These are already baked, cooled and cut, sitting on my countertop. I even just finished eating one. :) And I can attest, they are delish. Of course, I added a half cup of chopped dark chocolate because you really can’t go wrong. Don’t think they made them too sweet at all. Just the perfect amount.

Your leftover chili and pumpkin mashed potatoes in my fridge. These on the counter. Damn, girl, get a cookbook going, for real.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2010

haha thanks for the smile!
Glad you like them…chocolate is a great idea and Eric would approve I’m sure

stacey-healthylife November 12, 2010

Everything you make turns out so tasty and so pretty.

Caroline @ NaturallyCare.blogspot.com November 12, 2010

Yummmm can’t wait to make those!! I just started my blog today… and don’t be surprised if you see me trying out some of your recipes! Thanks for inspiring me :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] November 12, 2010

These sound so good! I just need to buy some dried fruit and I’ll be able to make them!

Page 1 of 212»