Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

If you would like to wow your guests with an unusual side dish at your next holiday dinner…

This one is for you!

20101110IMG 0267 thumb   Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

There is nothing I love more than taking classic dishes and shaking them up a little.

Before we get to this beautiful dish…two quick things:

1) Daily Pictures are up. [My excitement got the best of me and I posted them at 12:01 am. Is that nerdy or what?]

2) I am organizing and updating my recipes page.

Hallelujah! Can you hear the angels singing? I sure can.

I fell off the recipe-updating wagon for about 2-3 months, but I hope to get caught up by my 53rd birthday with any luck.

Ok, ok my 50th birthday. So demanding.

Tonight, I updated, organized, and alphabetized my Breads, Cakes/cupcakes/pies, Cookies, Muffins, Raw foods/No Bake, and Other categories!

It is incredible how long the list is getting.

It is also incredible that I remember how to alphabetize.

Or spell alphabetize for that matter.

I still have to update my Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, and Appetizer categories though. That will be a massive undertaking. I will need a Green Monster to my right and a glass of wine to my left for that one.

I have also added my Project Food Blog posts at the top of my recipes page. If you are looking for any of the recipes I have made for PFB, that is where they are hiding!

Whew. There is hope for me yet.

Tonight, I whipped up a delicious holiday-inspired side dish that will have heads turning, tongues wagging, and drool dripping.

20101110IMG 0243 thumb   Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

Or people might look at your dish and run like hell. I really can’t guarantee anything here.

Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

Pumpkin mashed potatoes…with SPINACH! Such a crazy, yet lovely flavour combination. I fell in love with these potatoes as did Eric. The flavours of the pumpkin, garlic, sea salt, and spinach really go lovely with the potatoes.

Adapted from Cake, Batter, Bowl.

Ingredients:

• 7 red potatoes, scrubbed & chopped (or Yukon Gold variety)
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1.5 cups pumpkin puree, to taste
  • Two handfuls spinach, stems removed & chopped
  • 1/2 cup Almond milk
  • 2 tbsp Earth Balance or butter
  • 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt, or more to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Paprika, for garnish

Directions: Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and boil potatoes for 18 to 22 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and place in a very large bowl. Meanwhile, heat olive oil over low heat in a skillet and sauté garlic for about 1 minute. be careful not to burn it like I did! Drain and mash potato chunks in the large bowl with a fork. Mix in pumpkin puree, spinach, almond milk, Earth Balance/butter, black pepper, and salt. Makes 5-7 servings.

*Best served immediately- the potatoes tend to get a bit watery (from the pumpkin) if they are put in the fridge.

Recipe note: This is the last pumpkin recipe I am making for a while!!!

Gather the troops!

20101110IMG 0248 thumb   Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

Cook, drain, and admire the beauty of zee taters.

20101110IMG 0255 thumb   Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

Also, admire the beauty of your tired hand-me-down pots and pot holders.

20101110IMG 0256 thumb   Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

New things are over rated.

Now magic happens….

A beautiful unison of two things I never thought I would see together: Pumpkin and Potatoes.

20101110IMG 0258 thumb   Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

Isn’t that just lovely?

Add in your salt, pepper, spinach, almond milk, and [hopefully not burned] garlic and give that arm a workout.

20101110IMG 0265 thumb   Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

Sprinkle with Paprika if you dare.

20101110IMG 0266 thumb   Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

It adds a little flare.

20101110IMG 0267 thumb   Garlic Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

Uh oh, the poet in me is coming out.

I best get myself to bed.

Speaking of sleep, I have been having the craziest dreams lately….and many nightmares about random things! Many of them involve people chasing me or trying to hurt me. I even had a few dreams about Project Food Blog this past week. One of them was that I went to submit my video this coming Sunday and Foodbuzz told me that I handed it in a week late and was disqualified. I tried to show them that my video was uploaded on November 7th, but they didn’t care. Then my head was chopped off.

Ok, that last part didn’t happen, but it could have!

I can go for weeks without remembering any significant dreams and then all of a sudden I have a slew of strange dreams and nightmares all at once and random people popping up from my past. Sometimes I ‘see’ people in my dreams and I think to myself, ‘Where the hell did you come from!?’

Do you remember your dreams much or give much thought to them? Do you think that they mean anything or are they just a product of random thoughts swirling through your mind?

Little Aspects November 11, 2010

I’m constantly dreaming about school (I’m a teacher). Most of them involve being in front of the class completely unprepared and I wake up in a cold sweat!!

Pumpkin mashed potatoes looks yummo!

Lauren November 11, 2010

Me too! For the first few weeks of teaching, I consistently dreamed about being late to work and showing up unprepared (i.e. without tests, quizzes, lesson plans, etc.). The principal was so disappointed in me. Sad, but it makes me feel less insane to know that other people have these dreams of anxiety!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day November 11, 2010

I use to love to try and interpret my dreams, so I’d try to remember to write them down, but it never happened. What I did realize was that I would have nightmares when I was stressed. Dreams are like a stress call for me – I know I need to take it easy when they occur.

Psychology is so fascinating to me :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) November 11, 2010

I love seeing savory ways to prepare canned pumpkin. The color of this dish makes me think it tastes like mashed sweet potatoes…but bettttter??

Ameena November 11, 2010

I remember my nightmares way easier than my dreams but I definitely get Deja vu all the time! I hear that means my life is on track though which is kind of cool…

Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat November 11, 2010

Those potatoes are so pretty! Most of my dreams surprisingly enough involve FOOD!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher November 11, 2010

Earlier this year, soon after we broke up, I dream about my ex-boyfriend-ish–eh, I’ll just call him “boy I loved”–kissing his new woman. Turns out he did have a new woman: his “bitchy” (his words not mine) roommate. My dreams are often painfully real.

Ashley November 11, 2010

I think the last set of crazy dreams I had were during the whole year before our wedding. Every problem you could ever think of leading up to a wedding I dreamed about. I typically don’t remember my dreams and can’t remember the last time I had a scary one. I’m sure I will tonight though..haha. This dish looks so different and is super pretty!!!

jodye @ 'scend food November 11, 2010

What a gorgeous color! I love adding spinach to potato dishes, and in fact have done so almost every day this week! I can imagine how lovely pumpkin would be in this dish, and garlic, yum! A for your question… I remember my dreams for about 10 minutes after I wake up, and then promptly forget them unless they are very odd or unusual. I always wish I remembered them though, then I could decide whether they are just random thoughts or actually mean something.

maria November 11, 2010

Are all the recipes you publish in your posts on the recipes page? It would be extremely helpful if that was the case, as I often find myself drooling over some recipe you have published a while back, but can’t for the life of me remember when you posted it :) Harebrained, yes I am…

And about dreams. I like to think they are just the mind doing a bit of cleaning. I am not sure that the events in them as such have to mean anything, but I certainly think that they are born out of something that has been on your mind, perhaps troubling you.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA November 11, 2010

Wow, how did you ever think of putting pumpkin puree in mashed potatoes? I eat a very similar recipe very often (usually with kale instead of spinach) but I never thought of adding pumpkin!

I have lots of weird dreams and I usually don’t try and interpret them. I did wonder about a recent dream theme, though – I kept having dreams about watching space shuttles fall out of the sky. It was awful.

But the last couple nights my dreams have been much better – I keep dreaming about Luke Pasqualino! Look him up and you’ll see why (he’s on actor on Skins, a British TV show).

Steph November 11, 2010

I always mix pumpkin or carrots with my mashed potato but never with spinach! Yum!

P.s I’m getting the sense you LOVE pumpkin!

Wei-Wei November 11, 2010

I almost never have dreams, at least I never remember them! I did have one significant one recently, though… it was strange. And all my dreams seem to happen in some busy, futuristic, industrial-looking mall. It’s weird.

Laura November 11, 2010

I have the exact same thing: long periods of not remembering a thing followed by a period of really vivid but totally crazy dreams. For me it is related to being very busy in my head all day. When that starts to wear off, the crazy dreams begin. So I think it is just a way of the brain to process all input now that it finally starts to get some rest. I always recognize a lot of things from real life that show up and not even the main events of my life but the small almost insignifcant things.
Oh, and the dish looks yummie! Got to make it.

alexa @ Sohdalex November 11, 2010

mmmmm. These look great! I think the combo is a winner for sure ;)

Rachel November 11, 2010

Don’t get me wrong, girl…. I DO love all the pumpkin stuff. But do you make anything without pumpkin or butternut squash anymore? ;-)

I am in the process of learning how to be a lucid dreamer, so it’s funny that you would post about dreams tonight! So far, it hasn’t been working…but this is only my 3rd night of trying so hopefully I will make some progress.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2010

hahah the reason I have had so many pumpkin recipes lately is because I have been searching for pumpkin ideas for Challenge #8 in PFB…which is to feature pumpkin as an ingredient!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 11, 2010

Oh I love pumpkin mash especially with sweet potatoes. This looks great!!!

Traci November 11, 2010

I have the craziest dreams most of the time and yes there are people that pop into them and it does make you go hmmmmm!As far as those mashed potatos….they will be in my belly very soon :) Yummmy

Emily November 11, 2010

Oh my god, I literally just woke up all distraught and crying because I had a dream that my mom had something wrong with her ovaries and died! :( I usually can’t remember my dreams so this was scary. What did I do to make myself feel better? Well, after texting her and making some coffee I came to Oh She Glows, only to find out that I’m not the only one having crazy nightmares! :D

PS. I am LOVING all the pumpkin and autumn flair. I’m so jealous that I can’t just run to a kitchen to test all the recipes (thank you university dorms). So, I have just been stockpiling recipes to make when I go home for Thanksgiving.

Cara Craves... November 11, 2010

Hello beautiful potatoes!
I love you already and I haven’t even tasted you!

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun November 11, 2010

You think up the BEST flavor combos! Yum!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 11, 2010

I have been having weird dreams lately too. In fact, I just had one about my grandma. Kinda creeping me out.

Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 11, 2010

I actually love love love dreams, I remember mine every night! This actually annoys the hell out of my friends ;)
I really believe that they mean something, usually it’s not straightforward but if you really think about your dreams you’ll realize that they represent how you’re feeling. Hmm, maybe it’s too early in the morning for me to be explaining things… :P
Anyway, have a great day!
Enjoy those mashed potatoes :) They look lovely!

CathyK November 11, 2010

i TOTALLY believe that dreams or nightmares have meaning: our subconscious is trying to process what is on our minds during the day. when i get stressed out, i still have teaching nightmares…and i haven’t taught in 12 years! it’s very funny sometimes WHO pops up in a dream, and you’re like, whaaaaat??!
way to go on organizing the recipes! thanks so much! there are several from the past few months i really want to try so now i can hit that page instead of searching through your posts (although i would do that since your recipes are THAT divine!)

Menden November 11, 2010

That dish looks delish!! Perfect for the holidays. :)

I’ve been having weird dreams, too! About people that are no longer in my life…it’s strange. I guess it must mean that there’s something left unanswered about that relationship?

I definitely like to think that dreams mean something, rather than just being a combination of random thoughts and images!

stacey-healthylife November 11, 2010

That is so unique and sounds delicious, love the color combo’s.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 11, 2010

I have been having horribly vivid dreams lately, but then like 5 minutes after I wake up, I can’t remember them! Oh well…. this could possibly be one of my favorite dishes you have ever prepared. I need to make it immediately!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad November 11, 2010

My dreams are just a random swirl in my head. No way they mean anything!

I am going to have to try this dish! I need something to bring to Thanksgiving dinner at the “in-laws.” There is going to be nothing healthy there, so I need to bring a few things I’d want to eat!

Dee November 11, 2010

oh my gosh! this looks amazing! :P

I love, love, love the Daily Pics section! What a neat idea!

Meredith Lilly November 11, 2010

Wine and a green monster. Breakfast of champions.

I had vivid dreams as a child, but it’s very rare that I remember my dreams now. When I do have strange dreams I usually blame caffeine. Deep, eh?

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 11, 2010

I have had some strange dreams — the only one that I really remember is one that I have had a few times: I am running up (what seems like) endless flights of stairs and there is a large gorilla chasing me. I have woken up from this dream and fallen back asleep only to be back “in” this dream! It is sto strange.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 11, 2010

Ohhh that looks like such a wonderful combination of tastes!! I need to bring some vegan dishes to Thanksgiving dinner (otherwise I won’t be eating, because my family will ensure that there is not only dairy but MEAT in everything from the green beans to the mashed potatoes), and I’d love to bring this…

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 11, 2010

YUM! I am so using this at Thanksgiving :) Healthier and would definitely be way tastier than plain ol’ potatoes. I love your recipes! It’s like being in a candy shop of healthy vegan food.

faith @ gracefulfitness November 11, 2010

Yum, I love this idea! What an excellent way to pack in more of a nutritional and flavor punch!

jenna November 11, 2010

i have a five year old that hasn’t slept through a night since she was born…..i’m too tired to have dreams! :) lol
i love love love this recipe! i can’t wait to try it! mashed potatoes are my ultimate comfort food.

Faith @ lovelyascharged November 11, 2010

Oh gosh, I certainly cant take my dreams too seriously because I have very possibly the strangest ones ever! One time I was a hooker in the lost city of Atlantis and people were trying to kill me and in another I decided to open up a Chinese restaurant in a cardboard box on the side of the road. Some very strange things go on inside this head of mine when I’m unconscious! And um…ONLY when I’m unconscious, of course.

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 11, 2010

oh my word these look heavenly! i have always been pretty good about remembering my dreams, but they usually are unrelated to real life, so i don’t give much thought to them!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 11, 2010

I’m not surprised that you’ve been dreaming about PFB! The mashed potatos look great. I don’t normally eat potatos (unless they’re sweet potato) at all because I just find them boring. Spinach and pumpkin sound like a great way to liven them up and boost the nutrition profile at the same time.
I’ve had a few crazy dreams lately. Some have been a bit scary but others have been awesome – like when I dreamed that I met Caitlin (HTP)!! :D

Dawn November 11, 2010

I used to dream that my teeth were falling out! I would have that dream all the time, thankfully I haven’t had it for a while now! :)

I love the looks of that mashed potato/spinach/pumpkin combo. I will definitely give it a try.

Thanks again for your blog, I look forward to it every day :)

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life November 11, 2010

I definitely believe dreams mean something. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve dreamed something and it happened! Of course, I’ve had plenty of nonsense dreams as well ;) But I think the dreams that seem more nonsense than anything mean something too…usually an abstract view into our emotions/life.

Check out http://www.dreammoods.com sometime. I’m sure you could find some information on your strange dreams!

Camille November 11, 2010

Thank you so much for the great holiday recipes. I will be cooking for just 2 this year and I am trying to find a nice variety of things that are easy, delicious and healthy. This seems to fit the bill!

Page 1 of 3123»