Birthday Bro

Good evening!

Steve’s birthday celebration was a great one today.

20101106-IMG_9837

My father-in-law Ken, Steve, and fiancée Joanne. :)

Eric and Margaret.

20101106-IMG_9838

Kids + doggie view ;)

20101106-IMG_9843

Dinner was delicious! Dave and Ewa made us an amazing BBQ feast complete with all the healthy fixins’ in a buffet style spread.

I had a veggie burger with tomato, mushrooms, onion, ketchup, and mustard. Along with sweet potato fries, black bean salad, and a salad with mushrooms, blackberries, banana, red pepper, green onion, cucumber, tomato, etc. I just loaded it all on and it tasted great.

20101106-IMG_9848

I threw together this black bean salad before I came. I always try to bring a vegan dish when I go out to eat somewhere. I really didn’t need it though because they had a huge spread.

The black bean salad contained 3 cups black beans, 1/2 tsp dried parsley, 1/4-1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt, black pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil, and chopped onion. It was simple but tasty!

20101106-IMG_9788

This was the first time I had banana on a salad before….I was feeling downright crazy.

20101106-IMG_9849

Veggie burger side view.

20101106-IMG_9851

Bird’s eye view.

20101106-IMG_9852

I ate everything on my plate and still had room for dessert!

And brewski…

20101106-IMG_9853

I was in my happy place. ;)

20101106-IMG_9863

[Gotta love when the husband takes pictures of me stuffing my face!]

Happy Birthday to you…

20101106-IMG_9873

20101106-IMG_9893

Birthday cupcakes were enjoyed by ALL…if you know what I mean ;)

20101106-IMG_9894

I love that children don’t have negative stereotypes about vegan food and they honestly don’t care. They just know what tastes ‘yummy’!

Steve turned into a 6 year old when he discovered that he got the Kinect gaming system.

20101106-IMG_9896

You can probably tell by my face that I had no idea what the heck it was. I am not up to date on gaming consoles these days…

Beer was greatly enjoyed after 2 weeks of video madness! Actually, Eric and I celebrated with a drink on Friday when we uploaded the final video, only to find out on Saturday that there was a major issue with the volume. We re-uploaded it today so another drink was enjoyed!

20101106-IMG_9898

20101106-IMG_9899

After dinner it was time to play!

20101106-IMG_9903

We all loved the Kinect system and we laughed non-stop for a couple hours.

20101106-IMG_9909

I leaned over to Eric and I said, “Do you ever feel like we are ‘in the future’?”

He agreed. :)

20101106-IMG_9915

Unfortunately no one wanted to race me in the sprinting challenge!

20101106-IMG_9911

My family and I got on the topic of the Project Food Blog video and how the deadline was extended a week. I told them that I was going to post my video tomorrow as planned since my video is already uploaded (but I haven’t made it ‘public’ yet) and everyone thought it was a bad idea to post it a week early. Now I am not sure what to do! While I am very excited and eager to show you the video that has been 2 weeks in the making, I do also see reasons why I should maybe wait. I also spoke with other contestants who are also finished their videos, but have decided to wait to submit the post until the deadline on the 14th just to be on the safe side. Decisions, decisions.

At any rate, I guess I can now use this extra week ‘off’ and have some free time back in my life. :)

Have a great night!

1 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 6, 2010

I’ve never heard about that game either. I thought Kinex was the old toys that you connect together to make crazy contraptions. LOL

And I love how kids eat too. It’s so amazing to see. They enjoy food and truly eat intuitively.

2 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 6, 2010

Hey Angela! I’m so glad you had an amazing day with your family :) And delicious food!

And I have a present for you! Have a look :) http://chefkatelyn.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/im-sooocaught-up/

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

thank you!

4 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 6, 2010

I have no clue what that game is either.
I still can’t get of the project food blog stuff! I think it would be best to wait though. Your biggest fans (us!) know you’ve been working your butt off, we know you didn’t wait to do it. Or maybe you could post tomorrow and always repost next weekend?!

5 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day November 6, 2010

Wow. My fiance is all about games, but I haven’t heard of this one. Looks like fun though!

As much as I want to see your video, I suggest waiting too. You don’t want it to get left behind because you posted it early. And I want you to win – so anything to help that!

6 kell November 6, 2010

just wanted to say that i will be voting for you no matter when you post the video . . . you’re the best!

7 stacey-healthylife November 6, 2010

Have a good night also. Looks like a great evening. I would wait to post so it’s closer to the voting time.

8 Bec November 6, 2010

I think it is best to wait to post. You never know who will be looking and possibly stealing ideas etc. Perhaps not in a deliberate or vindictive way but your video could inspire others… You have worked so hard on this contest. Please give your self every possible advantage and possibility to advance to the next round and win. Good luck girlie!

P.S. You look sooooooooo happy!

9 Mandiee November 6, 2010

I was really looking forward to your video tomorrow but I guess I will just have to wait. However, good things are worth waiting for so at least I will have something to look forward to all week now :). I know it is going to be amazing! I hope that this “free time” will give your some time to relax and enjoy the lovely fall. (Although I should mention that I also secretly hope it means you will be posting more, too hehe :D. I miss seeing your breakfast/lunch/dinner posts and all the yummyness you eat. You are an inspiration, my dear!) Happy birthday to Steve!

Have a lovely day!
xox

10 Rebecca November 6, 2010

I have never heard of that game either.
I would wait and post.
When I cook something that is vegetarian or vegan, I never tell people that is what they are eating, I wait until they have tried it and then I tell them, because some people have negative views when it comes to food, so sometimes I think its best not to tell. :-)

11 Shauna November 6, 2010

I love banana on a salad! Try it with a balsamic, dijon, maple, and cinnamon dressing, with some pecans or walnuts, possibly some goat cheese. Yum!

12 Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly November 6, 2010

I’m with Tina on the K’nex! That’s all I could think of until I saw the photos.

Life really does feel super futuristic sometimes… I’m grateful for all the positive strides I’ve gotten to see during my time, though!

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 6, 2010

I’m not sure why the video deadline was pushed back, but if I were in your position, I would probably wait to post. I would be excited to get it over with, but I think for the sake of YOUR video, you should wait. You wouldn’t want anyone to be inspired from your ideas (although I’m sure no one would do this!)

14 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 6, 2010

Hmmm. I’d wait until the deadline to post yours — either way I’m sure it is fabulous, but this way you have a bit of time to relax with it and make sure it is spectacular :)

Enjoy your week “off” of Foodbuzz stuff!

15 Wei-Wei November 6, 2010

You really HAVE been really busy! I have a feeling that the video is going to be really, really epic, if you’ve put that much work into it. I do think that you should wait a while before posting, though; don’t wait too long otherwise you might run into issues again! Make it public maybe about a day early before the deadline.

16 Elle November 6, 2010

Glad you had so much fun… and your BIL looks so much more grown up without the CAP!

Kinnect is a gas!

17 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 6, 2010

I’ve never heard of that gaming system but it looks fun. I love the picture took of you in “your happy place.” Too funny :)

18 Jenny November 6, 2010

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! That’s probably a good idea to wait so then when it comes voting time, you want to be fresh in people’s minds:)

19 Krystina (Basil & Wine) November 6, 2010

That sounds like such a wonderful day spent with family. :)

20 Katheryn November 6, 2010

I know nothing about gaming systems either.

As far as the video, I will vote for you regardless, but I think you should wait a week. I wouldn’t want you to get behind in the voting.

21 Ida November 6, 2010

Love the photo of the chocolate-covered hand!
I would wait to post, though I am excited to see what you did.

22 Rika November 7, 2010

I would looove to see your video tomorrow but I also suggest waiting too!

23 Bridget November 7, 2010

I think the general concensus from the comments seems to be to wait to post the video, and I agree. Whatever you decide, I’m for sure voting for my favourite blogger (ie: you!)

24 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 7, 2010

Yes, even though I had said earlier today that I thought it was pretty bogus that the deadline got extended even tho you were done under deadline and timely; you are totally right about just keeping it all to yourself til the big moment when everyone reveals. Better safe…than risk getting copied :)

Can I just say what a gorgeous couple you two make :) Seriously, you are! Probably b/c you’re having so much fun and living life to the fullest with each other :) Happy Bday to him!

25 Marie-Sophie November 7, 2010

That is a really beautiful picture of Eric and the kid!! You two are going to have gorgeous children :-) !

26 Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 7, 2010

I’ve eaten some pretty crazy combinations before… I’m talking peanut butter and mustard in my sandwich or apple butter on chickpeas but I’ve never had bananas on my salad :) You go girl!!

27 Keri November 7, 2010

Aww looks like a blast of a weekend! happy birthday to your brother :) and I have no idea what that game is either! Must be a boy thing…

28 Betty November 7, 2010

What a nice evening. :)

I am glad your family suggested waiting on the video!
It lets me know they are looking out for you. :)
I couldn’t agree more.

29 Christine November 7, 2010

Angela,
I LOVE your blog! I am so glad that you are waiting to post your video. You are so creative, I would hate for someone to copy what you have done. I can’t wait to see it, but I know it will be worth the wait.

30 Meredith Lilly November 7, 2010

Love the creative photos of the kids! I think it’s important to protect them from too much internet exposure.

31 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 7, 2010

You are still going to post during this ‘week off’, though, right?
Your “happy place” photo = awesome.
Also, I just got an iPhone a couple of weeks ago and I feel like I am in the future All. The. Time.
I am not sure how I feel about that.

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

hehe yes I will still post this week. ;)

33 Lisa November 7, 2010

Looks like such a wonderful releaxing weekend!

34 AGS November 7, 2010

Weekends with family are sometimes so very rejuvenating. A very nice celebration!

35 christina cadden November 7, 2010

Looks like so much fun!

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

Thanks for your input everyone!

37 melissa @ the delicate place November 7, 2010

what a fun party! enjoy your free time :) looking forward to your next FB project entry!!

38 lisasfoods November 7, 2010

Sounds like a great birthday event, and love the sound of adding sliced bananas to a salad.

Enjoy your week of doing your own thing, and can’t wait to see your video, whenever you decide to post it.

39 Caitlin November 7, 2010

i would wait – don’t give competitors an edge!

40 Marie November 7, 2010

Even tho I can’t wait to see your video, I agree you should wait. People can be «inspired» by what you do and suddenly, your ideas doesn’t seem so unique.
You should give yourself every chance you have to win. You are a strong competitor!

41 Becki November 7, 2010

I can’t wait to see what you came up with for PFB, but I’m sure it will be worth the wait!

I want to make those cupcakes this week. They look so delicious! My best friend called me the other said saying “I’m eating a vegan orange cream cupcake and it’s making me think of you” and I told her that I would outdo that cupcake and we could eat it together….now I have to make yours!

p.s. Is Eric’s bro single? Cuz he’s pretty good to look at! ;)

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

haha nope he just got engaged! ;)

43 Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 7, 2010

Is that the new remoteless game system?? They’re getting more and more advanced theses days, it’s incredible!!

44 Lizzie November 7, 2010

Angela – I saw these first few pics and my immediate reaction was: your future sister in law looks a lot like Penelope Cruz!! She is gorgeous! Also, I need to slow down the speed reading a bit. I saw your caption under the photo of banana in the salad and thought it said ‘queasy’ instead of crazy. I wondered why the tone of your writing was so enthused about being queasy :) Glad you had a fun evening!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2010

yes she is gorgeous!!

46 Camille November 7, 2010

Glad you enjoyed yourself!
It looks like a wonderful family time!

47 Amber K November 7, 2010

Ok, I was with you until I see banana on a salad! But that’s because I despise fruit on salad. Fruit of any kind does not belong with lettuce!

I think it’s a bummer to have to wait for ALL of the videos, but I do think you should wait and post with everyone else. I don’t want you to get lost in the mix!

48 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 7, 2010

Haha that’s what my face looks like when I’m eating a good meal too. ;)

I can’t wait to see your video, even if we have to wait an extra week. It sounds like you put so much work into it, so I’m sure it’ll be epic!!

49 Audrey November 7, 2010

I kind of thought that you had a good ‘tactic’ with releasing your video early, because people would see it, realize how awesome it was, and vote for it without having the competition of the other blogger’s entries. But I guess it could work the other way, too. That is, if they decide to wait until the rest are posted and then forget about yours.

50 Tania November 7, 2010

Please wait before posting your entry. You don’t want anyone changing their video after seeing yours. I just hope that someone “important” out there is actually paying attention to this FB challenge and the fact that you are kicking it’s ass. I do however, just think it’s a matter of time…. :) good luck!

51 Megan (Braise The Roof) November 7, 2010

So frustrating about the extended deadline- I feel for you! I think it’s hilarious that no one wanted to race you in the game- they know you’re quick!

52 Rachel R. November 7, 2010

Looks like you guys had LOTS of fun! I love the picture of the little guy hidding under the rocking horse…adorable! Mmmm, your cupcakes make me want to have an unbirthday party for myself!

53 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 7, 2010

Looks like a very fun day!! I haven’t a clue what Kinect is either, but I’m glad he liked his gift!! And that’s so true about little kids having no stereotypes toward vegan food. I think it will be nice in a few years to see more of that, since being vegan/vegetarian is becoming more popular.

54 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 7, 2010

Seems like you had a great day! That’s what I love about kids too- no preconcieved judgements about things! And haha I love the picture of you looking so confused about the gaming system! :D
Shame, I was really looking forward to seeing your video today! But I guess my excitement will just have to hold over for a week longer! :P I do see the logic in waiting to post though, so I think you made the right decision.

55 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 7, 2010

The veggie burger looks delicious! I love your site and your photos are amazing. :)

56 Sarah November 7, 2010

Hi, Angela! The birthday gtg looks like it was a great time:).
You know, I really hope you win the Food Buzz Challenge. You are so talented and such an inspiration!

57 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 7, 2010

oh my – what a wonderfully amazing day indeed!

58 Kasey November 7, 2010

Looks like a great time with the family :)

My hubby wants a Kinect so bad ! He almost went buy one this weekend.

59 Helen November 7, 2010

very cool that your bro got kinect! my husband works at microsoft so we got to try it a few weeks ago and think it’s a blast…amazing to be controller free!

60 katie November 7, 2010

you are beautiful! Just wanted to say :)

61 Allison O'Mara (Girl in her kitchen) November 8, 2010

My husband picked up a Kinect! It is so much fun, especially the dancing!

62 Lynn Soon November 8, 2010

Angela – What your favorite bread to eat sandwiches/veggie burgers on?! That plate of food looks so yummy!

63 Sonia November 8, 2010

I just played Kinect last night!! Kinect is basically like Wii Sports/Fitness/etc but without remotes! It’s the new add on to the xBox 360 where you can do lots of fitness/dance/outdoorsy games. Basically the camera in front of you records your moves and has the avatar on screen copy your exact moves. It’s fun seeing the photos of you mid jump or mid run. And it definitely got my heart rate up.

Our mascots were the same as yours! My husband and I were on the blue shark team and beat my friends (the red one eyeball thing). We played until the neighbors downstairs pounded on their ceiling. Whoops. Granted we didn’t as healthy and yummy as the foods on the post but we had a great time.

64 Sara November 8, 2010

Aww he looks just like Eric!! I love seeing people’s families for that :) Looks like you guys had a real nice time!