Twix or Treat Fingers

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 30, 2010

Good morning!

First of all, I want to say a huge THANK YOU for your votes in Project Food Blog Challenge #6. I received ‘Reader’s Choice’ for the last round and I couldn’t be more thankful for your continued support!! :) Challenge #7, is a video of a recipe, and I am equally excited and nervous for this next challenge.

Secondly, did Halloween ever creep up on me this year!

Let me briefly flash back to Halloween 2009

Alex, Krissy, and I were yoga instructors!

IMG_5788_thumb

and Eric was a Yogi Master…

IMG_5859_thumb

bahahhaa. Doesn’t he look overjoyed?

IMG_5777

Now you know me, I am all about decorating for every holiday. Well, sadly, this year I haven’t had time to decorate the house for Halloween!

I think I might have to move straight into Christmas decorations. :) It’s not like Eric and I haven’t been playing Christmas music lately…

I do have a delicious Halloween inspired recipe to share with you today to make up for my lack of Halloween participation this year…

20101029-IMG_9222

Twix or Treat Fingers (Millionaire bars)

Shortbread adapted from Mangio De Sola.

Shortbread Crust:

• 3/4 cup Earth Balance or unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Cascading Caramel

• 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • 6 tbsp Soy Free Earth Balance
  • 2 tsp fleur de sel
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter

Chocolate Ganache:

• 3/4 cup good quality chocolate, chopped
  • 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk (the cream on top of the can)
  • 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F and line a  9 x 9 baking pan with two pieces of parchment paper (one covering each side). Lightly grease parchment paper. Cream the Earth Balance and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and salt. Stir in the flour just until the dough begins to come together in walnut-sized chunks. Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake 20-23 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Do not over bake.

While the shortbread is baking, make your caramel. In a sauce pan, add the Earth Balance and sugar and bring to a boil. Stir well and reduce heat to medium. Stir for a few minutes. Add in the salt, maple syrup, and peanut butter and stir well for another couple minutes. Heat over low until the shortbread has cooled for about 10 minutes. Now pour the caramel over top of the shortbread and spread out quickly until smooth. Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set.

Now make the chocolate ganache by heating the chocolate and coconut milk on low. Stir frequently until smooth. Now add in the maple syrup and stir. Heat on lowest heat setting until the shortbread is out of the freezer.

Remove the shortbread from freezer when the caramel is firm and sit for 5 minutes. Pour on the Ganache and spread covering all sides and corners. Place back into the freezer for about 20-30 minutes or until firm. Remove from freezer and let it sit for about 10 minutes before gently cutting the sides and removing from pan. Slice into ‘fingers’. Makes about 20-26 fingers. Keep in the fridge as the chocolate will get sticky when at room temperature.

I used cake flour for my shortbread because I was out of all-purpose and the result was a very crumbly shortbread. I would not suggest using cake flour!

20101029-IMG_9113

Smooth out your dough.

20101029-IMG_9121

Breathing holes. ;)

20101029-IMG_9123

After baking for about 20-23 minutes and cooling for another 10, pour on the cascading caramel…

20101029-IMG_9134

20101029-IMG_9137 20101029-IMG_9144 20101029-IMG_9151 20101029-IMG_9160

This is fun.

20101029-IMG_9168

Smooth out!

20101029-IMG_9176

That’ll do.

While it sets in the freezer for 30 minutes, make the Ganache.

Now pour onto the firmed up caramel…

20101029-IMG_9181

20101029-IMG_9181-2

Smooth out.

20101029-IMG_9199

Firm in freezer…and then gently remove from pan.

20101029-IMG_9206

Cut into fingers!

20101029-IMG_9218

Do some ‘quality control’ and taste test.

20101029-IMG_9219

While these fingers don’t taste exactly like a Twix bar, I really enjoyed them. Next time I would use all-purpose flour for the shortbread since I had such crumbly results with the cake flour.

20101029-IMG_9243

You might also want to try out these delicious Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups that I made a while back! They are AMAZING and I think they are my favourite.

IMG_8587_thumb

Recipe here.

1) Are you dressing up this year, if so, what will you be? 2) Will you be making any Halloween inspired foods?

I’m off to run some errands and then I have a day of recipe testing for Challenge #7. See you tomorrow for OSG’s 2nd birthday!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 30, 2010 at 9:44 am

I have been desperately looking for that mini wooden pastry roller!! The big one we have doesn’t fit inside pans :).

I may or may not have been playing some Christmas music here and there…

CathyK October 30, 2010 at 9:45 am

happy hallowe’en weekend, angela!
i love that photo of eric from last year – both the beard and the look on his face.
i don’t know what’s more exciting about tomorrow! that it’s hallowe’en or OSG’s 2nd anniversary! congrats on the reader’s choice award – you sooo deserve it!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 30, 2010 at 9:48 am

These bars actually look better than the real thing. Yoga instructors = awesome costume, I already have the gear! I like to do the Cat Woman costume – all-black outfit + high-heeled black boots + cat mask = $5 costume that is so easy.

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) October 30, 2010 at 9:49 am

Ohh those look better than twix- especially because I can taste test the whole time I’m making them ;)
I’m dressing up as a flight attendant for Halloween since I already have the clothes for it and don’t want to spend money on a costume! And of course I have already been making lots of Halloween inspired food…pumpkin and squash are slowly taking over every meal…

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 30, 2010 at 9:50 am

I used to love Twix! I haven’t had them in YEARS and these just look so delicious! Happy Halloween!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers October 30, 2010 at 9:50 am

Seeing as Twix are my favorite candy bar and you make the best recipes ever, I think I’ll have to give these a shot!

I totally forgot about Halloween too…so I don’t think I’m dressing up. Unless you count “neighbor who passes out awesome candy” a costume….. ;)

stacey-healthylife October 30, 2010 at 9:51 am

Those look so good. Eric’s pretty lucky getting such amazing things to taste all the time. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 30, 2010 at 10:12 am

Congrats on being reader’s choice once again! You deserved it for sure! I look forward to round 7.

I love these bars — they look incredible!

Yes, Jason is Obi Wan Kenobi and I am Princess Leia — we have 1 party tonight and I can’t wait! I made a Halloween Candy Cookie Pizza for the party and it turned out great.

Maddie October 30, 2010 at 10:14 am

Congrats on reader’s choice! I always love your entries and hope you win :) I love your costumes from last year, especially Eric’s beard haha.
This year I will be going as a lifeguard and am going over to a friend’s house for a get together and making chili and cornbread. Not really halloweenish but still good!

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun October 30, 2010 at 10:15 am

You make this look so easy! [I would probably make such a mess out of these!]

I am dressing up for Halloween this year – a bunch of friends and I are going as gangsters! :-P

Joslyn @ missfitbliss October 30, 2010 at 10:22 am

I love the yoga instructor costumes! So cute:)

Krystina (Organically Me) October 30, 2010 at 10:23 am

YUM!!

Also, HAHA Eric’s yogi master costume is amazing.

Shanna October 30, 2010 at 10:25 am

They look great!

Last night I was a kitty and tonight I am a bee. Haha

Imwaytoobusy October 30, 2010 at 10:34 am

Brilliant! These look amazing!

Erin October 30, 2010 at 10:36 am

I’m leaving it to the last minute but am hopppefully turning myself into a coke bottle! sheer black shirt, black tights, then some sort of black dress or skirt. buying some red fabric, painting the logo on and fastening it around my middle for the label. red accessories and a red pillbox hat for a “lid” !

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious October 30, 2010 at 10:44 am

Congrats!!!
i love twix and those look AMAZING.
were getting together with friends to watch horror movies, i’ve never seen the Shining, but it looks scarey…

Anna October 30, 2010 at 10:44 am

Oh my gosh, I used to bake Millionaire Shortbread with my gran when I was little! It never even occured to me it’d be possible to veganise it! Thank you so much!

Kristina @ spabettie October 30, 2010 at 10:47 am

I made Millionaires Shortbread last night!! SO crazy! :D I am taking it to a party tonight… where Jason and I have VERY easy costumes – he is wearing a camo jacket + black pants, while I wear camo pants and a black top – we are UPPER AND LOWER G.I.s !!

Happy Halloween !

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty October 30, 2010 at 10:50 am

Congrats on moving on to the next round!!!

No halloween for us this year :( We are too busy and too broke!! The joy of being a student!! :)

We might carve pumpkins today… *fingers crossed*

Have a great Halloween!!

Paula October 30, 2010 at 11:09 am

I LOVE dressing up for Halloween! While vintage shopping I found this fabulous 70’s prom dress, sea foam green, complete with butterfly cape and everything! :) I’m going to go full out with the Farah Faucet feathered hair, blue eyeshadow, white platform heels, and to top it all off, a tiara – I’m a 70s prom queen!

YaY I love Halloween! As a kid my favorite candy was reeses peanut butter cups (ok, still is!) I am totally going to make those vegan peanut butter cups

Kathryn Polster October 30, 2010 at 11:13 am

Yum! I do miss a twix now and again.

I will be a mud monster for halloween. I am running my first race: a 5k mud run with military obstacles! yikes!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 30, 2010 at 11:17 am

I am redic. excited for the recipe video !!!!! :D

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 30, 2010 at 11:26 am

Ohhhh these look evil and delicious :) I’m kind of obsessed with Eric’s yogi costume- too funny!!

Seglare October 30, 2010 at 11:30 am

Happy Halloween Weekend – and upcoming blogiversary! :)

Unfortunately, this year I’m spending Halloween in Europe, where it’s not celebrated that much. I’m not attending any parties as I’m traveling, but I did get the chance to help out with baking some (almost) vegan Halloween treats to a party for some kids. ;)

The fingers look great – and so do the peanut butter cups!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 30, 2010 at 11:41 am

Totally time to break out the Christmas music! I’m not a huge fan of Halloween at all – dressing up makes me uncomfortable. I usually like to skip it and move on to Thanksgiving, though I’m pretty sure I need to make these bars between now and then!

Leanne @ Simplicitlee October 30, 2010 at 11:51 am

I have never been more excited about a recipe (other then toblerone fudge) then I am right now. I’m going to round up these ingredients and make this recipe for Christmas to give as part of my gifts. :) I can’t wait to experiment!

Camille October 30, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Oh my gosh, epic. I love Twix but I am completely aware of their reputation as one of the least healthy candies (not like any candies are really healthy). I will be eating your version asap!

Amber K October 30, 2010 at 12:07 pm

No and no. But I will be trick-or-treating with my nieces and nephews!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 30, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Those look really good! I don’t know if I’m dressing up for Halloween – I’m not really a Halloween kind of person. Christmas though? Bring on the decor!

Danielle October 30, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I won’t be dressing up this Halloween, but I’ll be making a seasonal dish: penne with pumpkin sauce…

Stefanie October 30, 2010 at 12:29 pm

No costum for me this year. The last time I dressed up was 12+ years ago. Those little PB cups are almost too cute to eat. Happy Halloween (early).

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 30, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I’m going as a synchronized swimming coach – for practice tomorrow :). For Halloween-inspired treats, I *just* finished two kinds of vegan pumpkin truffles. DELISH. Posting the recipe tomorrow.

Moni'sMeals October 30, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I remember your Yoga costume from last year. :) So cute and comfy (most important!)

I am not dressing up this year, I had a big Pumpkin Carving Party to make up for it!

I love making homemade “twix” bars. They are easier than they ever look too. Yours look very delish and I like the twist of salt. :)

Happy Halloween!
and CONGRATS on going through…yippee!

ps. I am so ready for Christmas too. :)

christina cadden October 30, 2010 at 1:29 pm

mm, that dessert looks so good!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined October 30, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Yummy! This post takes me back to the many, many caramel slices of my childhood. Mmmmm!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 30, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Best.Recipe.Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omg just yesterday I posted about my love of HWeen candy…the ones as a kid I deemed “good” or duds and that were “bad”. Twix bars were definitely high!! on the list of GOOD candy! And this recreation..oh I want these, now!

I have made and veganized homemade Reese’s PB Cups and York Peppermint Patties but nothing like a Twix b/c it can be hard to get vegan caramel to get the right consistency…but oh my, I could JUST eat your caramel recipe with a spoon…in fact I may go try that :)

Love the yoga teacher costumes/idea…and Eric. Priceless.. LOL

Jenny October 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Those look really good! I always love your adaptions especially for the ganache!

Dee October 30, 2010 at 3:26 pm

OH MY GOSH! yum, yum, yum!

Rebecca October 30, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Those bars look awesome, Twix is my favourite, what is fleur
de sel? We dont really celebrate Halloween in Australia, but I hope you have a great Halloween

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) October 30, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Yum yum, looks good! Oh my gosh, it’s only your 2nd anniversary tomorrow? It seems like you’ve been around for longer than that; I feel like I’ve been following you for years! That’s very exciting! :D
And congrats on getting through to the next round, and especially on getting Reader’s Choice! You definitely deserved it! :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) October 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Those look so tasty! I’m not dressing up as anything…but I might be making pumpkin muffins, haha.

Charlie October 30, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Those bars look delicious! Do you think I could use maple syrup instead of brown rice syrup in the caramel? I’ve never used brown rice syrup (never found it anywhere), so I have no idea what to use instead.

Charlie November 1, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Finally found brown rice syrup (two days after saying I can’t found it, they decide to add it as a new product at my grocery store :P). Definitely going to make those bars!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm

This are like a recipe for bars that I make, except I use oats in the crust part. Chocolate + caramel is to die for! :D

GFree_Miel October 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Love the yoga themed Halloween! I’m dressing up as a pirate this year (a sad fail after last year’s Edward Cullen costume). I have no Halloween themed recipes but my friend’s mom made us all of these treats last weekend, which I shared here: Summer Blog Project: http://www.glutenfreebiesbymiel.com/?p=84

I love your Twix or Treat fingers! They look so yummy. I can’t wait to make them gluten free!

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 30, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Oh Yum!! Quality control is the best!!!

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 30, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I’m dressing up as a classic nutcracker! Had most of the costume already, too…so proud!
And I’d love to bake treats, but I’m visiting my BF so the pre-made twix and snickers have had to do. TOooooo bad:(

Meaghen October 30, 2010 at 7:09 pm

My mom made millionarie bars last year for Christmas and I really enjoyed them!!

Congrats on making it to the next round of Project Food Blog!

Cyclist Kate October 30, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Oh my gosh! There aren’t too many sweets recipes I see anymore that really grab me and say, “you HAVE to make these!” but these did…so delish! Will definitely be making a batch soon.

I don’t really do Halloween anymore…really, we just turn off the lights, watch a movie, and hope nobody knocks on our door. Such Halloween scrooges, we are!

Paige @Running Around Normal October 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Those sound amazing! And twix is hands down one of my favorite candy bars. It’s the only one I haven’t been able to keep my hand out of from our trick or treat bags :)

Ashley @ Taste For Healthy October 30, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Angela, you are a baking genius!! I can’t wait to make these! Happy early Halloween!!!

Kristy October 30, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Those looks simply amazing! :)

Cara Craves... October 30, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Those treats looks divine!

My husband and I went as Alice and the Mad Hatter!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy October 30, 2010 at 9:34 pm

OH my gosh, those look sooooooooo frightfully YUMMO!!! I bet they’d be amazing if you used peanut or almond butter in place of the caramel, too. Oh I’m dying here…..!

Wei-Wei October 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I don’t remember what a Twix bar tastes like, the last time I had one was so many years ago! But… wow. It sounds awesome. Happy halloweeeeeen! :D (Cannot WAIT to see your PFB #7!!!)

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 30, 2010 at 11:20 pm

congrats on the win!
was totally pulling for ya.

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear October 31, 2010 at 3:42 am

Delicious looking fingers!

We don’t celebrate Halloween here like you do so no dressing up for me since there were no Halloween parties :D

Shannen October 31, 2010 at 7:45 am

angela, did anyone ever tell you how much you look like (a prettier) anna paquin from true blood? you should totally dress up as sookie ;)

Sara October 31, 2010 at 9:50 am

I’m going to be a Hogwarts wizard! Well, a witch technically. It’s a homemade costume, but I’m really excited! :D

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 31, 2010 at 11:19 am

They look just like Twix bars! Last night I was a punk rocker. My boyfriend was Indiana Jones (for the 4th year in a row…)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 31, 2010 at 5:10 pm

These look soooooooooooo good!

blair October 31, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I too suffered from disordered eating in the past. But about 6 months ago I decided enough was enough and I was going to learn to eat healthy, whole foods, with a sprinkling of cookies and cupcakes in there too. I wouldn’t say I’m 100% yet, but I know reading blogs like yours have helped tremendously. I love trying out your recipes! (I just made your perfect oatmeal raisin cookies last week and everyone I had try them LOVED them. And they had no idea they were vegan!)

Camille November 1, 2010 at 9:37 am

Happy 2nd Birthday! I love twix bars, I can not wait to try this recipe.

Camille @ La Bella Vita November 1, 2010 at 9:39 am

I dressed up as Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany’s. It was classic, comfortable, easy, and inexpensive!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' November 1, 2010 at 10:54 am

Those bars look delicious! I love Twix, but I love finding “healthier” versions!! I actually made some Chocolate Almond Butter Cups this weekend for Halloween, and I don’t miss the traditional Reese’s at all!

I threw together a June “Cleaver” costume this year– zombie style. I’m not usually as excited about Halloween costumes as my husband, but I felt pretty good about mine this year!

And I may be already listening to some Christmas music, too… it’s totally acceptable now that Halloween’s over, right?! ;)

Lisa November 1, 2010 at 11:35 am

Oh man, those look so good! I ate way too much candy yesterday so I will try to avoid any baking for awhile. This might have to be Xmas treat…

k8 November 1, 2010 at 11:53 am

I was Julia Child. She was six foot tall, just like ME!

sara @ busy vegan mama November 2, 2010 at 8:27 am

those look awesome! my husband loves twix AND shortbread so i’ll have to make this treat for him! love your yoga instructor costumes! i didn’t dress up, just dressed up my little ones and took them on their first trick-or-treat!

Sarah November 2, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Do you think these can be frozen? I need to make some desserts in advance for an event I am helping to host.

Hmm I’m not really sure on this question, possibly! Generally I find I can freeze most things I make…heh

Amandah November 6, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Yummmmmm!! And yay, lululemon! I work there! I was Snooki during the day on Halloween, and Katy Perry at night, haha.

snenny September 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I made this today, and I swear it was like a religious experience. Dear sweet sweet mercy. Thank you.