Twix or Treat Fingers

Good morning!

First of all, I want to say a huge THANK YOU for your votes in Project Food Blog Challenge #6. I received ‘Reader’s Choice’ for the last round and I couldn’t be more thankful for your continued support!! :) Challenge #7, is a video of a recipe, and I am equally excited and nervous for this next challenge.

Secondly, did Halloween ever creep up on me this year!

Let me briefly flash back to Halloween 2009

Alex, Krissy, and I were yoga instructors!

IMG 5788 thumb thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

and Eric was a Yogi Master…

IMG 5859 thumb thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

bahahhaa. Doesn’t he look overjoyed?

IMG 5777 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

Now you know me, I am all about decorating for every holiday. Well, sadly, this year I haven’t had time to decorate the house for Halloween!

I think I might have to move straight into Christmas decorations. :) It’s not like Eric and I haven’t been playing Christmas music lately…

I do have a delicious Halloween inspired recipe to share with you today to make up for my lack of Halloween participation this year…

20101029IMG 9222 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

Twix or Treat Fingers (Millionaire bars)

Shortbread adapted from Mangio De Sola.

Shortbread Crust:

• 3/4 cup Earth Balance or unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Cascading Caramel

• 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • 6 tbsp Soy Free Earth Balance
  • 2 tsp fleur de sel
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter

Chocolate Ganache:

• 3/4 cup good quality chocolate, chopped
  • 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk (the cream on top of the can)
  • 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F and line a  9 x 9 baking pan with two pieces of parchment paper (one covering each side). Lightly grease parchment paper. Cream the Earth Balance and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and salt. Stir in the flour just until the dough begins to come together in walnut-sized chunks. Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake 20-23 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Do not over bake.

While the shortbread is baking, make your caramel. In a sauce pan, add the Earth Balance and sugar and bring to a boil. Stir well and reduce heat to medium. Stir for a few minutes. Add in the salt, maple syrup, and peanut butter and stir well for another couple minutes. Heat over low until the shortbread has cooled for about 10 minutes. Now pour the caramel over top of the shortbread and spread out quickly until smooth. Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set.

Now make the chocolate ganache by heating the chocolate and coconut milk on low. Stir frequently until smooth. Now add in the maple syrup and stir. Heat on lowest heat setting until the shortbread is out of the freezer.

Remove the shortbread from freezer when the caramel is firm and sit for 5 minutes. Pour on the Ganache and spread covering all sides and corners. Place back into the freezer for about 20-30 minutes or until firm. Remove from freezer and let it sit for about 10 minutes before gently cutting the sides and removing from pan. Slice into ‘fingers’. Makes about 20-26 fingers. Keep in the fridge as the chocolate will get sticky when at room temperature.

I used cake flour for my shortbread because I was out of all-purpose and the result was a very crumbly shortbread. I would not suggest using cake flour!

20101029IMG 9113 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

Smooth out your dough.

20101029IMG 9121 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

Breathing holes. ;)

20101029IMG 9123 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

After baking for about 20-23 minutes and cooling for another 10, pour on the cascading caramel…

20101029IMG 9134 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

20101029IMG 9137 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers 20101029IMG 9144 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers 20101029IMG 9151 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers 20101029IMG 9160 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

This is fun.

20101029IMG 9168 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

Smooth out!

20101029IMG 9176 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

That’ll do.

While it sets in the freezer for 30 minutes, make the Ganache.

Now pour onto the firmed up caramel…

20101029IMG 9181 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

20101029IMG 91812 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

Smooth out.

20101029IMG 9199 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

Firm in freezer…and then gently remove from pan.

20101029IMG 9206 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

Cut into fingers!

20101029IMG 9218 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

Do some ‘quality control’ and taste test.

20101029IMG 9219 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

While these fingers don’t taste exactly like a Twix bar, I really enjoyed them. Next time I would use all-purpose flour for the shortbread since I had such crumbly results with the cake flour.

20101029IMG 9243 thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

You might also want to try out these delicious Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups that I made a while back! They are AMAZING and I think they are my favourite.

IMG 8587 thumb thumb   Twix or Treat Fingers

Recipe here.

1) Are you dressing up this year, if so, what will you be? 2) Will you be making any Halloween inspired foods?

I’m off to run some errands and then I have a day of recipe testing for Challenge #7. See you tomorrow for OSG’s 2nd birthday!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 30, 2010

I have been desperately looking for that mini wooden pastry roller!! The big one we have doesn’t fit inside pans :).

I may or may not have been playing some Christmas music here and there…

CathyK October 30, 2010

happy hallowe’en weekend, angela!
i love that photo of eric from last year – both the beard and the look on his face.
i don’t know what’s more exciting about tomorrow! that it’s hallowe’en or OSG’s 2nd anniversary! congrats on the reader’s choice award – you sooo deserve it!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 30, 2010

These bars actually look better than the real thing. Yoga instructors = awesome costume, I already have the gear! I like to do the Cat Woman costume – all-black outfit + high-heeled black boots + cat mask = $5 costume that is so easy.

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) October 30, 2010

Ohh those look better than twix- especially because I can taste test the whole time I’m making them ;)
I’m dressing up as a flight attendant for Halloween since I already have the clothes for it and don’t want to spend money on a costume! And of course I have already been making lots of Halloween inspired food…pumpkin and squash are slowly taking over every meal…

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 30, 2010

I used to love Twix! I haven’t had them in YEARS and these just look so delicious! Happy Halloween!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers October 30, 2010

Seeing as Twix are my favorite candy bar and you make the best recipes ever, I think I’ll have to give these a shot!

I totally forgot about Halloween too…so I don’t think I’m dressing up. Unless you count “neighbor who passes out awesome candy” a costume….. ;)

stacey-healthylife October 30, 2010

Those look so good. Eric’s pretty lucky getting such amazing things to taste all the time. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 30, 2010

Congrats on being reader’s choice once again! You deserved it for sure! I look forward to round 7.

I love these bars — they look incredible!

Yes, Jason is Obi Wan Kenobi and I am Princess Leia — we have 1 party tonight and I can’t wait! I made a Halloween Candy Cookie Pizza for the party and it turned out great.

Maddie October 30, 2010

Congrats on reader’s choice! I always love your entries and hope you win :) I love your costumes from last year, especially Eric’s beard haha.
This year I will be going as a lifeguard and am going over to a friend’s house for a get together and making chili and cornbread. Not really halloweenish but still good!

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun October 30, 2010

You make this look so easy! [I would probably make such a mess out of these!]

I am dressing up for Halloween this year – a bunch of friends and I are going as gangsters! :-P

Joslyn @ missfitbliss October 30, 2010

I love the yoga instructor costumes! So cute:)

Krystina (Organically Me) October 30, 2010

YUM!!

Also, HAHA Eric’s yogi master costume is amazing.

Shanna October 30, 2010

They look great!

Last night I was a kitty and tonight I am a bee. Haha

Imwaytoobusy October 30, 2010

Brilliant! These look amazing!

Erin October 30, 2010

I’m leaving it to the last minute but am hopppefully turning myself into a coke bottle! sheer black shirt, black tights, then some sort of black dress or skirt. buying some red fabric, painting the logo on and fastening it around my middle for the label. red accessories and a red pillbox hat for a “lid” !

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious October 30, 2010

Congrats!!!
i love twix and those look AMAZING.
were getting together with friends to watch horror movies, i’ve never seen the Shining, but it looks scarey…

Anna October 30, 2010

Oh my gosh, I used to bake Millionaire Shortbread with my gran when I was little! It never even occured to me it’d be possible to veganise it! Thank you so much!

Kristina @ spabettie October 30, 2010

I made Millionaires Shortbread last night!! SO crazy! :D I am taking it to a party tonight… where Jason and I have VERY easy costumes – he is wearing a camo jacket + black pants, while I wear camo pants and a black top – we are UPPER AND LOWER G.I.s !!

Happy Halloween !

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty October 30, 2010

Congrats on moving on to the next round!!!

No halloween for us this year :( We are too busy and too broke!! The joy of being a student!! :)

We might carve pumpkins today… *fingers crossed*

Have a great Halloween!!

Paula October 30, 2010

I LOVE dressing up for Halloween! While vintage shopping I found this fabulous 70′s prom dress, sea foam green, complete with butterfly cape and everything! :) I’m going to go full out with the Farah Faucet feathered hair, blue eyeshadow, white platform heels, and to top it all off, a tiara – I’m a 70s prom queen!

YaY I love Halloween! As a kid my favorite candy was reeses peanut butter cups (ok, still is!) I am totally going to make those vegan peanut butter cups

Kathryn Polster October 30, 2010

Yum! I do miss a twix now and again.

I will be a mud monster for halloween. I am running my first race: a 5k mud run with military obstacles! yikes!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 30, 2010

I am redic. excited for the recipe video !!!!! :D

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 30, 2010

Ohhhh these look evil and delicious :) I’m kind of obsessed with Eric’s yogi costume- too funny!!

Seglare October 30, 2010

Happy Halloween Weekend – and upcoming blogiversary! :)

Unfortunately, this year I’m spending Halloween in Europe, where it’s not celebrated that much. I’m not attending any parties as I’m traveling, but I did get the chance to help out with baking some (almost) vegan Halloween treats to a party for some kids. ;)

The fingers look great – and so do the peanut butter cups!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 30, 2010

Totally time to break out the Christmas music! I’m not a huge fan of Halloween at all – dressing up makes me uncomfortable. I usually like to skip it and move on to Thanksgiving, though I’m pretty sure I need to make these bars between now and then!

Leanne @ Simplicitlee October 30, 2010

I have never been more excited about a recipe (other then toblerone fudge) then I am right now. I’m going to round up these ingredients and make this recipe for Christmas to give as part of my gifts. :) I can’t wait to experiment!

Camille October 30, 2010

Oh my gosh, epic. I love Twix but I am completely aware of their reputation as one of the least healthy candies (not like any candies are really healthy). I will be eating your version asap!

Amber K October 30, 2010

No and no. But I will be trick-or-treating with my nieces and nephews!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 30, 2010

Those look really good! I don’t know if I’m dressing up for Halloween – I’m not really a Halloween kind of person. Christmas though? Bring on the decor!

Danielle October 30, 2010

I won’t be dressing up this Halloween, but I’ll be making a seasonal dish: penne with pumpkin sauce…

Stefanie October 30, 2010

No costum for me this year. The last time I dressed up was 12+ years ago. Those little PB cups are almost too cute to eat. Happy Halloween (early).

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 30, 2010

I’m going as a synchronized swimming coach – for practice tomorrow :). For Halloween-inspired treats, I *just* finished two kinds of vegan pumpkin truffles. DELISH. Posting the recipe tomorrow.

Moni'sMeals October 30, 2010

I remember your Yoga costume from last year. :) So cute and comfy (most important!)

I am not dressing up this year, I had a big Pumpkin Carving Party to make up for it!

I love making homemade “twix” bars. They are easier than they ever look too. Yours look very delish and I like the twist of salt. :)

Happy Halloween!
and CONGRATS on going through…yippee!

ps. I am so ready for Christmas too. :)

christina cadden October 30, 2010

mm, that dessert looks so good!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined October 30, 2010

Yummy! This post takes me back to the many, many caramel slices of my childhood. Mmmmm!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 30, 2010

Best.Recipe.Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omg just yesterday I posted about my love of HWeen candy…the ones as a kid I deemed “good” or duds and that were “bad”. Twix bars were definitely high!! on the list of GOOD candy! And this recreation..oh I want these, now!

I have made and veganized homemade Reese’s PB Cups and York Peppermint Patties but nothing like a Twix b/c it can be hard to get vegan caramel to get the right consistency…but oh my, I could JUST eat your caramel recipe with a spoon…in fact I may go try that :)

Love the yoga teacher costumes/idea…and Eric. Priceless.. LOL

Jenny October 30, 2010

Those look really good! I always love your adaptions especially for the ganache!

Dee October 30, 2010

OH MY GOSH! yum, yum, yum!

Rebecca October 30, 2010

Those bars look awesome, Twix is my favourite, what is fleur
de sel? We dont really celebrate Halloween in Australia, but I hope you have a great Halloween

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) October 30, 2010

Yum yum, looks good! Oh my gosh, it’s only your 2nd anniversary tomorrow? It seems like you’ve been around for longer than that; I feel like I’ve been following you for years! That’s very exciting! :D
And congrats on getting through to the next round, and especially on getting Reader’s Choice! You definitely deserved it! :)

Page 1 of 212»