Out Like A Light

Happy Birthday to OSGMOM!!!!

For the record, mom that was not me who called you and hung up this morning after realizing the 2 hour time difference.

I get a little excited at times.

20101027-IMG_9037

Yesterday, I discovered Things To Do When the Power is Out for 5 Hours.

• Take up knitting
  • Have long conversations with your cat
  • Call the hydro company and notify them because…you know…they wouldn’t already know from hundreds of other callers
  • Pace around the house
  • Have a brilliant idea to go to Starbucks and realize your car is stuck in the garage and you can’t get the door to open
  • Bring freshly baked Glo Bars to neighbour down the road because you can’t seal the bars
  • Start to get scared when Eric works late and your house is pitch black and making weird noises
  • Take pictures of pretty candles and pretend not to be scared
  • Realize that there is HUMMUS to be saved in the fridge! Scarf hummus and Multiseed crackers.
  • After 4 hours, survival instincts start to kick in. Go for the sweets in the freezer!

Yesterday started off well. I had a productive morning of work, buzzing through my orders, and then I set out for a run on my lunch break. It was gorgeous, sunny, and crazy windy, but I figured it was nothing I couldn’t handle!

The run:

• Distance: 5:15 miles
  • Time: 43:51
  • Avg pace: 8:31
  • Splits: 8:26, 8:15, 8:31, 8:20, 9:00, 1:17

I thought I might blow away. I was so happy to be home. Instead of feeling energized on this run, I felt a bit drained like I had just run a tough race or something.

In the afternoon, a huge tree fell over onto an electrical wire and it knocked out the power for miles and miles in our area. When it finally came back on 5 hours later, I spent the rest of the night catching up on my work. I was not a happy camper!

Today has to be better…and how could it not be with Pecan Pie Truffles? :)

20101022-IMG_8141-2

I thought I would show you how to make the Pecan Pie Truffles that I featured in my Project Food Blog Challenge #6 post. Also, some of you have been asking where the recipes are from that post. You mean I typed up all those recipes and you didn’t see the PDF link? ahhhhh lol. ;) I linked to them in that post on Sunday (underneath the menu). The only recipes that were not featured are the Cake In A Jar and those recipes will be coming up in in the next week or two. :)

Pecan Pie Truffles

Ingredients:

• 1 cup pecans
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • ¼ cup oats
  • ½ cup pitted dates, packed (approx 11 medjool dates)
  • ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • 3-4 tbsp icing sugar
  • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • ¾ tsp ground cinnamon

Directions: In a food processor, process the pecans and almonds until fine. Now add in the oats, followed by the vanilla, almond extract (optional), icing sugar, and sea salt. Add in the roughly chopped and pitted dates and process until crumbly. Process until crumbly. Do not process long enough for the mixture to get too sticky (like nut butter), but you do want it to be a bit tacky so you can shape the truffles so they will hold together. If mixture is too crumbly, process it a bit longer. You could also add a bit of maple syrup to make it stick together if necessary. You want to work the mixture a bit in your hands to warm it up so you can form a ball with it. Makes about 12-15 truffles.

The truffles are Eric approved! ;)

20101024-IMG_8435

20101028-IMG_9052

Step 1: Add pecans and almonds and process until crumbly.

20101028-IMG_9076

Step 2: Add in oats, spices, sea salt, icing sugar. Process until fine.

20101028-IMG_9085

Step 3: Add in chopped dates and process until it just begins to get sticky.

20101028-IMG_9088

Step 4: Shape into truffles.

I made three varieties…Peanut Butter (and chocolate covered PB!), Pecan Pie, and Brownie Bliss. I adapted the Brownie Bliss from Dreena Burton and then the others I just made up as I went along. The recipes are linked in Sunday’s post.

20101022-IMG_8152b

The best part is shaping the truffles to look like a box of chocolates! They would make a fun holiday gift.

Happy Thursday!

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to your mom!

Luckily my power stayed in tact yesterday in spite of the CRAZY winds.

2 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 28, 2010

The brownie bliss ones sound amazing! heck, so do the peanut butter.
Happy birthday to your mom! :)

3 Bridget October 28, 2010

Those are the cutest little truffles! I could go for the peanut butter one right about now!

4 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 28, 2010

Those truffles are so adorable :)

I get so scared when the power goes out too — I don’t know what to do so I just sit on the couch wrapped in a blanket.

I’m glad you didn’t blow away on your run! It has been super windy here too!

5 Becca October 28, 2010

Oh how I wish you were my neighbour! As I am too far away from anyone who makes such yummy treats, I’m going to have to learn to make them myself, aren’t I?

Happy birthday to OSGMom!

6 Melanie @ I Dream of Tahini October 28, 2010

These look so good! I think I’m going to attempt for bringing to Christmas Dinner with me, and maybe box up a set for each family to take home.

I didn’t get to make the crackers last night. I realized after work before bed is not enough time when the flax needs to soak an hour and it was at least an hour on each side. Will do that this weekend.

I did however make the Butter Apple Struesel Oat Squares. When I got to the kitchen this morning, there is only a tiny bit left. That must mean hubby and son loved them!!! I doubt there will be any left when I get home from work tonight. Glad I got a square after dinner last night – super yummy!

7 monicanelsonfitness October 28, 2010

I am so inspried to make truffles now, Especially for the holidays. Wow.

I can’t believe the power went out! You managed it well. Funny about trying to go to Starbucks and than you could not even get the garage to open. (See it would make sense now to me if the pic of you with snow-from yesterday was current, because of a storm, hahaha!)
I seem to always stock my fridge jam packed…than the power goes out, geesh ;) It is a curse!

Happy bday to your MOM!

8 Marina October 28, 2010

These truffles look like they were made in a pretty awesome chocolate factory!
Need to make some a.s.a.p!

9 shannon (the daily balance) October 28, 2010

angela these are such a great idea! I love your idea of making them into holiday gifts!

10 Allison @ Food for Healing October 28, 2010

5 hours is forever when you have stuff to get done! I wish we could of had a snow day here yesterday, i could have used the break

11 Amanda (Eating Up) October 28, 2010

Such great food photography as always! I’m obsessed with your blog!

12 Alina (Duty Free Foodie) October 28, 2010

That’s too bad about the power. But thank goodness the chocolate was saved! Do your conversations with your cat include multiple observations of his perfection, like mine do?

13 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 28, 2010

I love truffles. I had serious difficulty deciding between truffles or fudge this past weekend when at the candy shop we visit once a year in this cute little town.

All the things you found to do when the power was out sound great.

14 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe October 28, 2010

Happy Birthday OSG mom! I always get a little overly zealous on birthdays as well:)

I was wondering how you made the truffles – they look so professional! Thanks for the recipe.

15 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 28, 2010

Haha you have very luck neighbors!! I love those candles, so pretty :)

16 Nichole October 28, 2010

Those truffles look fabulous and can’t wait to make them!

17 Dawn October 28, 2010

I will be making those truffles before the holidays! So much fun, and so yummy! :)

And, since you went running yesterday in all that wind, I must get my bootay off this chair and get out there. I’ve been hemming and hawing about it since 9.30, I’m just going to go and get it over with!!

Here I go!

ps. Happy Birthday to your Mom!

18 Katie October 28, 2010

Happy Birthday OSGMOM!!! :)

I absolutely love reading your posts. You do such a wonderful job transitioning throughout the entire post. And take such beautiful pictures. Your table looks absolutely amazing with all of the candles/lighting.

19 Maxine October 28, 2010

I love the photo at the top with the table arrangement! I do not usually like decorations, trinkets, etc. but this one is very nice. I may need to copy it :)

20 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 28, 2010

I would have totally called my mom no matter the time difference as well! Oh well, she was =going to get up eventually, right?

I totally support your decision to save the humms in the fridge! A bloggers gotta do what a bloggers gotta do!

21 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 28, 2010

Those look delicious! I can’t believe you guys had a power cut and we didn’t – the weather didn’t even get that bad! I was going to suggest that you could have come to visit me and take advantage of my electricity, but I figured your car might have been stuck in the garage and I was right! Hopefully the lights stay on for you today!

22 Heather (Heather's Dish) October 28, 2010

oh my word pecan pie truffle?!?! yes please!

23 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA October 28, 2010

Those look delicious and beautiful!

And the only thing I can ever think of to do when the power is out is read.

24 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 28, 2010

These look SO DELICIOUS and SO TASTY. I did see the PDF in the first post, and already have decided to make the PB truffles once I carve out enough room to keep them in my freezer!!

25 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! October 28, 2010

Happy birthday to your mom…and to me! Lolz

The truffles would make a great holiday gift for the health fiends in my life!

26 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life October 28, 2010

The “have long conversations with your cat” comment made me laugh… I’m glad I’m not the only one who talks to their pets, although it might be weirder for me to talk to my dog with him being deaf and all… lol

27 Ashley Craft October 28, 2010

I love your pecan pie truffles Angela!!! They definitely would make a perfect holiday gift!

P.S. I enjoyed reading about your afternoon without power… I am sure I would have the same idea to drive somewhere, before realizing that obviously there isn’t any power to the garage door! It’s amazing how much we depend on electricity. In a strange way, I actually enjoy (short) periods of time without it… I feel like time slows down and I am forced to so something relaxing. :)

28 Gail October 28, 2010

Yum!

29 Sunshine [at] The Culinary Vampire October 28, 2010

I love your photos!

2 questions about the truffles:

1. What’s the texture of the non chocolate covered ones? Mainly, are they a little on the softer or harder side?
2. Is there any specific reason you added almond to the mix and not all pecans? I’m allergic to almonds and I would just use all pecans unless there was a reason not to.

Thanks!

30 Dawn (HealthySDLiving) October 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to your momma!
The truffles look incredible! :)

31 Veganzone October 28, 2010

My birthday is coming up, will definitely make myself some of your truffles! From me to me :)

32 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 28, 2010

Power outages…not a fan b/c they always come so…unexpectedly but sounds like you made the most of it!

Oh, the truffles…NICE!!! DELISH!!! I will take a whole box please :)

Happy Bday to your mama!

And your running splits and times…I said it the other day, but you are FAST! I had no idea you were such a lil speed demon. Way to go girlie :)

33 Taylor October 28, 2010

Hi Angela! I’ve never commented on your blog before, but I read it every day and I think you are truly inspirational. Thank you for being a breath of fresh air!

34 Hope October 28, 2010

You make these look so easy! As soon as I get a new food processor (I blew mine up!) I shall be attempting these!
Whenever the power goes out I too think of great things to do, all of which usually involve power in some form lol oh how much we rely on it!

35 Hope October 28, 2010

Oh and happy birthday to OSG mom!

36 Paige is Running Around Normal October 28, 2010

Oh dear! Your power must have been out for quite some time. I HATE it when the power is out. Especially if it’s dark outside.
And I think if anything can make a day better, it’s pecan truffles ;)

37 Shanna October 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to miss talented Angela’s Mom!

38 Halley (Blunder Construction) October 28, 2010

I love your list for power outages. So funny, I think my inner dialogue would be along the same lines. Being bored immediately, thinking up brilliant ideas, and then quickly realizing they won’t work. :) Car stuck in the garage, priceless!

39 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 28, 2010

I FREAK when the power goes out!!! Sad how much of our lives are connected to electricity/technology.

40 Amber K October 28, 2010

Those look SOOOO good! Yummy.

I hate it when the power goes out! I go a little nutty wondering what in the world people did before being attached to the internet. ;) lol

41 Amari @ Eat Chic October 28, 2010

I love it when the power goes out! It brings people together when you are forced to step away from the computer and television for a few hours and just enjoy each others company! :) I also love that number one on your list was take up knitting; I’ve been knitting for almost 10 years and find that it is the perfect fall and winter hobby! Nothing ends the night better then relaxing on the couch with a hot cup of tea and some knitting!

42 Sassy Molassy October 28, 2010

Angela, your food always looks beyond amazing, but these seriously take the cake, thus far. And that candle photo is gorgeous. Sometimes I secretly wish the wind would knock our power out for hours so I’m just forced to sit and read or dream by candlelight.

43 Allison October 28, 2010

Those truffles look amazing! Sorry about the power outage! We had a similar situation here yesterday and today with really high winds causing all kinds of damage!

44 Allison October 28, 2010

Oops, meant to say that that the high winds were where else but the The Windy City, Chicago!

45 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 28, 2010

Those truffles are just adorable-and I bet delicious, too!!

46 Charlie October 28, 2010

One time when I was about 9-10 years old we the power was out for 2 weeks! There was a storm during the night and a tree fell on our transformer. Since there we were only two houses with no electricity, it wasn’t a priority!

47 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 28, 2010

They are the most gorgeous truffles I have ever seen!!!

48 stacey-healthylife October 28, 2010

5 hrs would drive me crazy and I have been there before. I also started thinking about my precious food in the fridge.

49 carol October 28, 2010

Hi do you use golden or whole grain flaxseeds in your crackers? what can I use instead of the pepito seeds?

50 OSGMOM October 28, 2010

Thanks to everyone for the Happy Birthday good wishes and Happy Birthday to Robyn who shares the same birthday :) I wish I had some of those truffles right now.

51 Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010

These are so cute! What a great gift to give out as well!

52 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 28, 2010

it’s true, you’ll do so many things you never thought about when the power’s out! Except I think my favorite will always be shadow puppets :P

53 Camille October 28, 2010

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!
I am making those asap!

54 e m l October 28, 2010

Holy crap! You seriously made those?! Perfect holiday gift…however, they would never make it past my hands unfortunately – I’ve have them scarfed down in two bites!

55 Kris | iheartwellness.com October 28, 2010

Ummmm I think I will take a boat load of the peanut butter truffle please ;) Mmmm these look freaking fantastic and my mouth is watering over here….seriously ;)

Happy Thursday Doll!

xxoo

56 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to your Momma!! :D

And WOW!! :O Those truffles look to DIE for!!!

57 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 28, 2010

This post makes me miss my food processor! :(

58 Cynthia October 28, 2010

Those truffles look awesome . . . and so easy! Happy Birthday to your blog. :)

59 Cara Craves... October 28, 2010

Do you actually knit?
I love knitting scarves in the winter..they are really the only thing I have mastered!
It is quite a relaxing activity… until you start dropping stitches and want to pull your hair out!

60 Melissa @ I Never Imagined October 28, 2010

How dreadful for you to have to eat the hummus and the sweets in the freezer! Thank goodness you were home at the time! :)
Happy birthday to your mom! Is it birthday season right now or what!?

61 Meaghen October 28, 2010

The picture of Eric with the truffle is so cute! He looks so excited about it.

Your power was out for 5 hours? That sucks. We had a lot of wind here, but no power outages.

62 Wei-Wei October 28, 2010

Those truffles look absolutely delicious! And happy birthday to OSGMOM! :D

63 Katie October 28, 2010

I know you’ve mentioned it before, but where did you get those candle holders from? They are gorgeous! And I sent a link to my husband of your post yesterday….my DREAM is to have a backyard like yours someday! Gorgeous!

64 Sünne October 29, 2010

Oooooh, truffles!
Are you going to post the cake-in-a-jar-parfait recipes? I couldn’t keep my eyes from the pictures of them in your last Project Food Blog-post! Hope you’ll win the competition – you’d absolutely deserve it!

Sünne