For Now, Multiseed Crackers

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 27, 2010

In what seems to be a blink of an eye, most of the leaves in the backyard have now fallen to the ground…

20101027-IMG_9185

It is a sad day.

I dream of happier, carefree days, in mid-September…

20101008-IMG_5376

For now, we rake.

For hours and days on end, we rake until the blisters are so bad and our backs ache so much, we feel like we need to hibernate all winter until we realize that soon we will be shovelling snow, which is much worse.

IMG_7837

It’s ok though, I am an Endurance Athlete, remember? ;)

For now, Sketchie gets his Halloween haunt on.

IMG_04645

Because soon he will hibernate for the Winter…

IMG_7852

When we finally come inside we shall enjoy Multiseed crackers, only because they are the perfect vehicle for hummus…

20101027-IMG_8944

…and hummus is my comfort food.

20101027-IMG_8938

Easy Multiseed Crackers

I call these the ‘plain janes’ of seed crackers; they are so simple and you can dress them up any way you want them, playing around with different herbs and spices. I think they are the perfect vehicle for hummus or other flavourful dips like guacamole and they are strangely addicting, even if the flax seeds stick to my teeth!

Adapted from here.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup flax seeds, soaked in 1 cup water for 1 hour
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 2-3 tbsp pepita seeds
  • Sea salt, lots and lots of sea salt, to taste (1 tsp?)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Herbs of your liking (I used 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning)

Directions: Mix 1 cup of flax in a bowl with about 1 cup of water. Stir well and let it sit for about 1 hour. In that time, the flax will ‘gel’ up and will have absorbed most of the water. It will be thick. Preheat oven to about 150F or use a dehydrator. Stir in the rest of the seeds and your desired herbs and spread the mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet or dehydrator sheet. Sprinkle with lots of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake in the oven for about 50-70 minutes on each side (estimate only) until the desired crispness is achieved. I used a dehydrator and I dehydrated them for about 90 minutes on each side at 115F.

20101027-IMG_8953

I was so amazed at how easy these were to make!

You simply soak some flax seeds until they gel up, then add the rest of the seeds, herbs, and seasonings, and then bake, flipping once, until firm.

20101027-IMG_8973

They are oddly addicting and so satisfying with their nutty and salty flavour and chewy texture. Two thumbs up!

For now, work calls me. Have a great day!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 27, 2010 at 9:42 am

I think the “crunch” of these would be super satisfying. The look delish.

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 27, 2010 at 9:42 am

Oh my gosh, you are a genius! I was looking for a wheat-free hummus dipping vehicle and those look amazing!

Lily's Health Pad October 27, 2010 at 9:48 am

Wow, those look so easy! And they’re crazy nutritious! I love the sweet pic of Mr. Sketchie. I don’t think he gets enough blog time these days. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 9:52 am

he told me this AM he wasn’t pleased with his exposure as of late.

Katy @ A Healthy Shot of Life October 27, 2010 at 9:48 am

Those crackers look awesome, I can’t wait to try them! I’m sick of Mary’s crackers (& the price)… these will be a good replacement! And I can’t wait for the snow ;-)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 27, 2010 at 9:51 am

I love crispy crunchy crackers like this — they look really good!

Sketchie is too freaking cute :)

We had a bit of snow in MN this morning — it melted already, but I guess northern MN got a few inches! I was hoping we’d make it through October without snow…

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 27, 2010 at 9:51 am

these sound perfect! and oh if only hummus were my comfort food too… :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 9:51 am

yes they are strangely addicting. I was not expecting that at all!

Amanda October 27, 2010 at 9:54 am

They sound interesting. I would like to make crackers but I think my mind is gearing up for a more “traditional” cracker. I am missing the leaves in NY as well. It was 70* yesterday, but felt weird without leaves on the trees. This weather is messing with me :)

Leanne @ Simplicitlee October 27, 2010 at 9:59 am

Those crackers look delicious & easy to make!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 27, 2010 at 10:00 am

wow, i would have never thought those would stick together in cracker form!! i love seedy crackers – so much more interesting than plain ones. could do with some right now in fact… ;)

Allison @ Food for Healing October 27, 2010 at 10:01 am

that snowy picture looks like what Sask got yesterday!

Charlie October 27, 2010 at 10:01 am

Those look delicious! :D

[email protected] October 27, 2010 at 10:10 am

These look fabulous!!

Nichole October 27, 2010 at 10:17 am

Hummus is always my comfort food too

kathleen October 27, 2010 at 10:21 am

thanks for the recipe. i just got a dehydrator. i must try it as my dehydrator’s mesh screens arrive.

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow October 27, 2010 at 10:22 am

You’ve just brought Mary’s Crack-ers into my home but homemade! Saving me money but encouraging my ever present obsession. :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

The leaves still aren’t gone down here, though they always tend to fall in a matter of days as well. Those crackers look delicious though!!

Lauren M. October 27, 2010 at 10:40 am

Brr so cold! I woke up so excited to make a pumpkin spice latte this morning only to find my pumpkin had gotten moldy. No fear, though, I broke out the molasses and made a gingerbread latte instead. Deeeelish!

In other news…I’M GOING TO PARIS TODAY! I want to yell it to everyone I see.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:22 pm

have a great trip!!!

Gingerbread latte sounds awesome!

grocery goddess jen October 27, 2010 at 10:42 am

Wow, I am DEFINITELY going to try that! I’ve been experimenting with making crackers lately, and that looks easy enough.

Love the pic of Sketchie!

monicanelsonfitness October 27, 2010 at 10:56 am

Wonderful Fall pics! Snow already!!!

You and your crackers! YUMMMMM… I have to try them. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:22 pm

no that pic was from last winter! lol

monicanelsonfitness October 27, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Angela~ I know, right when I hit “commet” I realized what I said.. Doh! I only thought it could of been snow because you mentioned a storm the other day and the fact that some of my friends in other places are in snow-like conditions. Silly Me. :)

Hey, Raking is a great workout as you know, just keep thinking about the toning of the arms!

Megan (Braise The Roof) October 27, 2010 at 11:16 am

Your crackers look great! When you flipped them did you break them into pieces to make it easier or could you flip the whole sheet?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I just flipped the whole sheet :) Just wait til it firms up quite a bit but of course if it does break it’s not a big deal cuz you break them anyways!

Roanne October 27, 2010 at 11:23 am

What?! They sound too easy! haha can’t wait to try them! oh and good question from Megan, did you break them so they’d be easier to flip?

Camille October 27, 2010 at 11:25 am

Those crackers look so cool!
We still have leaves on our trees, but they are falling off pretty quickly!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 27, 2010 at 11:27 am

Every time I try to convince my Fiance to move to Canada or back east, I just show him your photos. I *think* it starting to work :)

I’m such a cracker-holic. I truly have an endless pit when it comes to them.

Melanie @ I Dream of Tahini October 27, 2010 at 11:55 am

Yesterday all I could think about was how I could find a Clean Eating, vegan cracker recipe that I could use for hummus, and the like. I remembered that I saw your cracker recipe recently, but the flour and the earth balance still made me dream for a cleaner version that I could somehow convince myself that it was “HEALTHY”, lol. I eat the Mary’s got crackers a lot, but hey – they are still processed and I want to make my own.

Now I see this and I’m so excited because A. It fits the bill, and B. I have all the ingredients!!!!!!

I’m so making these tonight along with a batch of hummus. Thank you :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm

you will LOVE these crackers. they are the definition of wholesome and satisfying! but they do need hummus. I think. heh

Emily October 27, 2010 at 11:57 am

The seed crackers are fun! I love that hummus is your comfort food :) Are you a make your own hummus or buy your hummus person? What’s your favorite kind??

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm

haha I *WANT* to be a make your own hummus kinda girl, but time is not on my side lately, so I buy Fontaine Sante brand. Absolutely incredible and the best hummus I have ever tried. You can get it at costco, or you could at one point anyways. I now buy it in bulk from a wholesaler.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm
JenATX October 27, 2010 at 11:57 am

so seedy! these would be perfect for dipping into my mom’s tuna salad (that is my comfort food, i guess it reminds me of being a kid)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious October 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm

these look awesome!! i’m definitely going to get a dehydrator….all your recipes look so yummy and healthy!!

Melissa October 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I make a similar version of these crackers in my dehydrator, but I add sundried tomatoes to the mixture, which gives them a great flavor.

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 27, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh!! What’s up with that cat’s eyes?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:19 pm

he’s a creeeeepy one. that is all.

jenna October 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

yum, these really do look addicting! sketchie is the cutest he looks so soft.

Hope October 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Hehe Sketchie is so so cute! Love scary eyes sketchie!

Em October 27, 2010 at 1:39 pm

You’re a genius! I’m no vegan but I’ve tried a lot of your recipes and they’re all amazing and you make it so easy to do. These kinds of crackers are big where I grew up, I just never knew how to make them. Thank you so much for posting this! You’re AMAZING, seriously! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:19 pm

thank you!

Silvia October 27, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Yum! This looks good — must try those crackers! Beautiful cat that you have!

[email protected] October 27, 2010 at 1:59 pm

OY shoveling snow! That is one thing I don’t miss about living in a house, instead of a NY apartment. My mom used to make me and my brother go out there in the freezing cold weather with 2 giant shovels. Not fun.

I love the uneven broken shapes of the crackers. The ingredients are amazing too.

Meaghen October 27, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I too was thinking Sketchie hasn’t been getting much exposure on the blog lately!

I think the crazy wind yeserday is what did the leaves in. On my walk to work this morning ever sidewalk was just covered in leaves! Fall is just too short!

LizLivingVegan October 27, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Wow these look really good! And pretty simple to make! I’ll have to get some sunflower seeds so I can try these :)

Nadine October 27, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I really like your blog! Never tried humus, but I really will.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

mmmm! i love s.i.m.p.l.e!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm

These look so good! Any cracker loaded with sesame seeds is good in my book.

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe October 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Haha! I have to admit, Sketchie looks pretty creepy.

I totally agree about hummus being a comfort food. I just bought like 4 cans of chick peas this morning so I can make a big batch. I definitely want to make these crackers. Probably so much cheaper than buying healthy crackers too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:18 pm

he is a total creeper, especially near halloween!

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition October 27, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Sigh. I miss nature! Living in NYC is amazing but I didn’t even get to see the leaves change colors this year :(

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 27, 2010 at 3:51 pm

oooh these sound wonderful!!! What a great way to use seeds!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm

A really different way to eat seeds…such a great idea!

kaila October 27, 2010 at 4:13 pm

wow these are totally like homemade marys crackers!!!!! must try!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 27, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Awwwe Sketchie :)

The crackers look awesome! I was expecting a mostly dough/some seeds cracker but dang!! When you said “multiseed”, you really meant it! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:18 pm

haha yea its seed and nothing but!

Tiffany October 27, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Haha! I love that pic of Sketchie! Those crackers look great too, good job!

stacey-healthylife October 27, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I love anything that aids in eating some hummus.

Halie Colbourne October 27, 2010 at 5:22 pm

These look delicious!!! I can’t wait to give this and your other Fall recipes a try! Ps what kind of camera do you have?? Your pictures are so crystal clear!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Thank you!

Canon 30D

Lens: Canon macro 1.4 50 mm

Stacey October 27, 2010 at 5:26 pm

These look so delicious. I can’t wait to try them. Any idea how much it makes?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I would say roughly 30 pieces?

Shanna, Like Banana October 27, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I’m in love with Sketchie.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:17 pm

he has a pretty big crush on you!

Balanced Healthy Life October 27, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I’m def. printing and adding this recipe to my collection. I love how easy it looks! I want to make them for a girls get-together this weekend! Hummus is my comfort food too!

Balanced Healthy Life October 27, 2010 at 6:48 pm

chelsey October 27, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Those look amazing! What would you suggest using if one does not have a dehydrator (jumps up and down raising hand)?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:16 pm

OVEN :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 27, 2010 at 9:35 pm

hehe I got that far – I meant same temp & cook time?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:16 pm

OVEN :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 7:17 pm

oops that was weird it posted twice without me finishing!

i also wanted to say its in the directions :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 9:39 pm

The directions say 150F and 50-70 mins per side for the oven :)

Felicia October 27, 2010 at 7:05 pm

i am def making these! so simple ! and so glad dehydrator isn’t needed :)

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed October 27, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Oh yum! These look great. Do you think they’d work with dukkah as the spice? Or would that be overkill… :)
Heidi xo

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2010 at 9:39 pm

im not sure Ive never heard of dukkah

Wei-Wei October 27, 2010 at 7:54 pm

These look amazing! Aren’t they crumbly at all? How well do they hold up against dipping and scooping up HUMMUS (note major food group capitalisation)?

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 27, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I make seeds only crackers, too! I find that in raw vegan cooking/uncooking that nuts like cashews and almonds are overused and I wanted to do a cracker that was seeds only, so I did about 6 mos or so ago…and have been loving it!

I also made mine more sweet, i.e. used agave/maple with cinnamon and sugar but it can be adapted to be savory.

I am way more a sweets girl than a salt girl :)

Love your recipe!

Jenny October 27, 2010 at 8:52 pm

These look great for on the road snacks..yum! I love crunchy crackers.

LM October 27, 2010 at 9:10 pm

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. A cracker-less cracker!
Thank you!

Sandra De Freitas October 27, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Finally a cracker I can eat (I’ve got a ton of food intolerances). These crackers are in my oven now!!! Thank you for posting directions for those of us who don’t own a dehydrator!

You are the best! Some days I just want to eat your blog!

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska October 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Your seed crackers look yummy AND satisfying! I love the idea!

Carla @ Will Run for Health October 27, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Those crackers look like they would go amazing with a raspberry/chia seed pudding and some white wine. I could see that being a great spread before a holiday cocktail party. As always, your food makes me drool. :)

Erin October 27, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Absolutely gorgeous pictures! I love the one with the glowing eyes with Sketchie :)

Rebecca October 27, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Your crackers look great, I buy Marys Gone Crackers, but, since I live in Australia I pay around $8.95 for a box, which is abit of money for a box of crackers, I am going to have a go at making these, it will prove to be cheaper.
I guess I will not say then that it is a beautiful sunny day in Melbourne today as we head into Summer.

Casey Thomas October 27, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Delicious! I adore raw (dehydrated) seed crackers…so tasty and much lighter than grain and nut based crackers. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Lana October 28, 2010 at 2:06 am

Wow! that is easy!! Looks delicious!!!

Steph in Dubai October 28, 2010 at 6:31 am

I love sketchie!!! Please put more pics of him on the blog… he is so adorable!!

carol October 28, 2010 at 7:48 am

Hi fo yuou use golden or regular whole flax seeds? What can I substitute for the pepita seeds?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 28, 2010 at 8:12 am

Ahh don’t remind me that winter is coming! I’m so not ready for those months of cold. :P

Faith October 28, 2010 at 8:42 am

Wow, do these look amazing, Angela! I think it would be fun to make a sweet version, maybe with a little cinnamon! Delicious!

jamie @ jamelafamela October 28, 2010 at 9:14 am

hummus is a comfort food of mine as well- and those crackers look like Mary’s! Yum!

Katherine October 28, 2010 at 9:50 am

Thanks for these Angela! I made these last night, and followed your recipe exactly. I seasoned mine with dried oregano, garlic powder and black pepper and they are awesome!!! They did take longer than 70 minutes to harden (I would actually say double that, in a 170 degree oven) but other than that, the recipe was spot on! I am so happy to have found an inexpensive, and wheat free cracker. Thanks!

Katherine October 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

Oops! I just saw that you said 50-70 mins PER SIDE. In that case, the recipe is perfect as written :)

Katherine October 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

Ok, I’m totally being a stalker right now, but I also wanted to add in that I cut mine with a pizza wheel before they were 100% hard, so they came out in perfect, cracker-shaped squares. Can you tell I’m instantly obsessed with these? OK, that is all.

Gail October 28, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I always smile when you post Sketchie’s picture because he’s so darn cute!

I love, love, love your Halloween picture of Sketchie, and your capture. It made me laugh and remember my kitties :0)

Melissa @ I Never Imagined October 28, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Oh nooo! Your tree picture nearly made me cry! I’m mourning the loss of the leaves in my neighbourhood, too. Most of them are still there, for now… But only just :( I’m glad you followed up with some cute (and funny) kitty pics hehe

thefruitpersuit (Sabine) October 30, 2010 at 6:15 am

Hey Angela, I wanted to make these but I can’t decide if ground flax seeds would work, or if I need to make them with whole flax? thanks!

Sondi October 31, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I just took these out of the oven and they are unbelievably good. Mine were a bit crumbly – lots of flax seeds fell off. I’ve still got plenty of solid crackers left, though. Did that happen to you too?

Lauren Guerrieri November 1, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I’ve got these cooking in the oven as I type this! Do you have any favorite hummus recipes that you recommend, Angela?

I have one on my recipes page that is good!