Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

What could be better than French Press Coffee?

20101026IMG 8770 thumb   Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes!

When I made these for our hiking road trip on Sunday, I was really pleased with the outcome. To my surprise, they were really fast to throw together and tasted incredible. I was able able to cut down the sugar and it still tasted amazing.

Pumpkin Spice Lattes

Adapted from The Kitchn.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups almond milk
  • 2 tbsp canned pumpkin or butternut squash (I prefer pumpkin)
  • 1-2 tbsp sugar, to taste (It calls for two, but I found 1 was enough the second time)
  • 1.25 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup freshly brewed espresso OR 2/3 cup strong coffee

Directions: In a saucepan combine milk, pumpkin and sugar and cook on medium heat, stirring,
until steaming. Now bring to a boil and stir in vanilla and spice. You can now transfer to a blender and process for 15 seconds until foamy. If you don’t have a blender, don’t worry- just whisk the mixture really well with a wire whisk. Some of the mixture fell to the bottom of the cup, so blending it might help prevent this. Pour in espresso or coffee. Add on cinnamon or whip cream on top if
desired. Serves 2.

This morning, I used canned butternut squash just to see how it would taste. I also gathered almond milk, vanilla, freshly brewed strong French press coffee (since I don’t have an espresso machine), and spices.

20101026IMG 8703 thumb   Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

I used 3 tbsp of coffee beans and let it steep for about 8-10 minutes.

First you whisk together the 2 cups of almond milk with 2 tbsp of pumpkin.

20101026IMG 8724 thumb   Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

While it is heating, make your coffee or espresso.

20101026IMG 8731 thumb   Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

Add spices and vanilla and bring to a boil.

20101026IMG 8733 thumb   Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

The original recipe says to add in the spices and vanilla after removing from heat, but I prefer to add it in while it is heating so the boil can burn off the alcohol in the vanilla extract.

20101026IMG 8735 thumb   Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

As an optional step you can blend the mixture in your blender for 10 seconds or so to make it frothy. I skipped this step, but I would recommend it as some of the mixture settled on the bottom of the cup. I think a blender might help with this.

As a final step, add in your espresso or coffee and stir.

20101026IMG 8738 thumb   Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

I added on some freshly grated cinnamon.

20101026IMG 8767 thumb   Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

You can also add whipped cream if you wish.

20101026IMG 8779 thumb   Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

It was very warm, comforting, and the perfect treat on a cool Fall day. Today, I tried butternut squash, but I think I preferred the pumpkin. It was a close call. Now granted, this isn’t an authentic latté by any means, but I still loved it. Maybe it should be called a pumpkin spice French press. ;) It was good, whatever you call it!

20101026IMG 8766 thumb   Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes

Are you a specialty coffee fan? What is your favourite drink to order? Do you ever make any at home?

Jazz October 26, 2010

I’m a misto lover (half coffee, half steamed milk), mainly because it’s cheap and tastes like a latte… then I add honey and cinnamon.. perfect!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 26, 2010

I’m more of a black coffee person except for the fall and holiday season. Something about pumpkin and peppermint lattes always call to me. I never thought to make my own until reading blogs. You’ll have to be sure to do a peppermint one in another month or so. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2010

mmm peppermint would be awesome

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 26, 2010

I am definitely trying these – in my never ending effort to try and love coffee.

Amy October 26, 2010

I had no idea you could buy canned butternut squash. Where did you find this?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2010

I got it from my wholesaler

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) October 26, 2010

I’ve found it at Whole Foods!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 26, 2010

Yay!!! I was hoping you’d post this recipe soon! Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2010

My recipes were actually posted in Sunday’s post in a PDF :) (except for the cakes, which are coming soon)

Jazz October 26, 2010

I have been dreaming of those cakes!

Amanda (Eating Up) October 26, 2010

Mmm…who needs Starbucks?! ;-)

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini October 26, 2010

Double shot soya latte with a twist of nutmeg :)

But no caffeine after midday. Ever.

Sara October 26, 2010

There are two specialty drinks that are favourites of mine. Both easy to make at home. One is a tea misto. My favourite is earl grey. Steep tea, add some steamed almond milk and a little bit of vanilla, stir. Delicious. The second is a machiatto. Traditional machiatos are just a strong pour of espresso with a dollop of foamy steamed milk plopped on the top. Delicious taste of a lattee without all the milk, or “milk”. So good.

LizLivingVegan October 26, 2010

I love specialty coffee drinks, but I rarely buy them because they’re so expensive! But recipes like this mean I can make some at home!!! :) I’m definitely going to try this.

Preena Chauhan October 26, 2010

Chai spice + pumpkin is always a nice pairing. I’m going to try your delicious Pumpkin Latte with the Chai spices!

Lexi October 26, 2010

I tried a recipe similar to this one, and it works wonderfully. Thanks for sharing. Do you press the plunger down when you make coffee or is it just like this in the picture? It always helps me control the bits of coffee that try to escape when pouring. Have a lovely Tuesday

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2010

ha after I took the pic I realized it wasn’t pressed down, so yes I did afterwards :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 26, 2010

This looks delicious — I don’t drink “fancy” coffee drinks too often, but once in a while they are a great treat.

My favorite is the white chocolate mocha — I haven’t been able to master it at home (haven’t tried too many times to be honest).

monicanelsonfitness October 26, 2010

Wow! See you never let us down! I will be making this and my husband will be super pumped as well!

monicanelsonfitness October 26, 2010

Yes I make speciality coffee drinks at home and my favorite are white chocolate and milk chocolate mochas and at Starbucks Fall Lattes-Pumkin Spice (no kidding! right just like the rest of the world)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 26, 2010

yum! i have been watching to try Mama Pea’s version…this one looks great too though!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers October 26, 2010

Yum!!! My favorite drink to order is a Cinnamon Dolce Latte ;)

I usually make Hazelnut lattes at home because I have hazelnut syrup…next time I’m doing cinnamon!

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow October 26, 2010

I tried Momma Pea’s version as well a few weeks ago and I have to say- this has been a weekly staple ever since! For some reason flavored coffees aren’t my favorite which is why I like creating my own flavor. :) So delish!

My favorite drink to order is a cafe au lait with whole milk. No skim. I like the creamy real deal!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 26, 2010

Yummm! I’m not a huge coffee connoisseur, but I do like flavoured coffees – especially when they involve lots of vanilla and cinnamon. Oh and pumpkin – obviously!

Rhea (Greek Feaster) October 26, 2010

Obviously I could be (very!) wrong about this, but I always thought that heat killed vanilla flavors, too. I wait to add vanilla until after I’ve cooked things like oatmeal over heat.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2010

I think it does a bit, but I can’t stand the alcohol taste. I have been wanting to get some alcohol free vanilla. Anyone tried it before?

Rhea (Greek Feaster) October 26, 2010

You could use vanilla beans, but that could get expensive ;)

Leah October 26, 2010

I got pure vanilla in Mexico and it was AMAZING. And you don’t have to use nearly as much of it because the flavor is so intense so a little bottle goes a long way!

Jess - The Domestic Vegan November 1, 2010

I’ve tried alcohol-free vanilla from the brand Simply Organic, and it was great! Truthfully, I couldn’t taste a difference between that & the regular Nielsen-Massey that I buy, but I liked that it didn’t have alcohol in it, or any sugar.

I have been making pumpkin spice lattes lately, too! So yum.

Mrs. Muffins October 26, 2010

Oh, thank you! I’ve been trying to perfect my recipe but every time, it’s just not right so I’ll have to try yours!

Happy National Pumpkin Day!!!

Leah October 26, 2010

I’m a lover of soy misto’s. This time of year, I add a pump of pumpkin spice. I love this recipe! I’m going to try it this weekend!

Susan October 26, 2010

I made this recently and it is delicious!!!! I cannot justify going to the coffee shop for this anymore!

I have been into chai alot lately – something about the winter does that to me! :) Great pics!

Emily October 26, 2010

I’m so glad that I just restocked my pumpkin stash. You make it so much easier than I would have imagined with your step by step instructions – thanks!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 26, 2010

I miss coffee. I switched to tea a long while back and ever since I just can’t stomach coffee anymore, too acidic I guess. Love the flavor though, maybe if I make it weak enough I can try something delicious-sounding like this latte!

Felicia October 26, 2010

ive made it with chocolate almond milk and whipped it frothy in the vita mix, sooo good!

Alexa@Living La Vida Pura October 26, 2010

I like to make pumpkin spice syrup (basically water, sugar, pumpkin and spices) and then mix with espresso and hot (or steamed) milk. I’ve always found that you have to run the syrup through a piece of cheesecloth or else there are little gritty pieces of spice in it; Ange, did you manage to avoid the grit in your recipe? Maybe my spices just aren’t ground fine enough.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2010

A cheesecloth would work well. I found that some of the pumpkin and spices fell to the bottom of the cup. Perhaps blending it in a blender would help with this?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2010

thinking about it more…a cheesecloth might not allow the pumpkin to go through. Hmm. Not sure!

Allison @ Food for Healing October 26, 2010

I have an espresso machine at home, i make a variety of things, London Fog, Chai lattes, Decaf vanilla lattes, you name it! but not Pumpkin Spice lattes as of yet.

how would you suppose one would go about making a pumpkin spice latte with the espresso machine? I love steaming my milk with the wand, just not sure of what to add

mrsdmk October 30, 2013

speaking of pumpkin lattes made with machines anyone know if they sell Kcups that are puimpkin latte?

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 26, 2010

I’m a black coffee drinker, but when I get frisky I get a soy latte from Starbucks:) SOO yummy

Teresa October 26, 2010

I was so excited when I saw this recipe when you originally posted it! My husband has been asking me to make him some at home since he usually buys his pumpkin spice coffee on the road. We loved it!

Heather October 26, 2010

This recipe looks super simple and delicious! Thanks for posting!

One thing – did you forget to press your french press before pouring? LOL

Leanne @ Simplicitlee October 26, 2010

I like iced coffees and peppermint hot chocolate. Mmmmmm.

Madeleine October 26, 2010

That’s it! I’m trying this TOMORROW. During the summer months, I always have a pitcher of homemade iced coffee in the fridge, but now that autumn is upon us here in Los Angeles (as chilly as that can be), I use my French Press daily with a little almond milk and cinnamon instead of sugar/sweetener. It’s heaven!

Tracey October 26, 2010

Yum! I used to be an every day coffee drinker and a frequent visitor to Starbucks. I have cut back on my caffeine quite a bit over the past year and now only splurge on coffee drinks once a week. However, ever since Fall hit I am craving lattes alllllll the time! I’ll have to try your version to save me some money :)

Coco October 26, 2010

i have worked as a barista for the past 5 years, so i know my coffee drinks! :-) and this also means i’ve had time to discover new favorite flavor combos. i usually drink my morning coffee black, but when i want a little afternoon pick-me-up, i’ll make a latte with soy milk, espresso, and chocolate mint flavor shot! a popular item in my coffee shop is a green tea chai latte with a caramel flavor shot and a drizzle of honey. yummy! oh, and pumpkin spice ANYTHING is a popular fall item.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 26, 2010

This sounds AWESOME! I’m not a fan of the unnatural tasting Starbuck’s pumpkin spice latte. This seems like a great alternative to try!!

Maria @ runningcupcake October 26, 2010

I dont like coffee (although I love the smell) but what I do love is tea- Chai tea is the best- its the cinnamon flavour that makes it so good!

Agnieszka October 26, 2010

I am drinking grain coffee and i am really excited to try this pumpkin coffee late it has to be hillariously great.

Lauren October 26, 2010

I am definitely an every-morning-coffee-drinker, but I almost always make it at home. I tend to prefer a simple French Pressed cup with a bit of skim milk, but I’ve become obsessed with all of the amazing pumpkin spice latte recipes that have hit the blogosphere this season! I most recently made a pumpkin spice syrup, that is stored in the fridge and can be added to either hot or cold coffee for an instant latte :).

Krystina (Organically Me) October 26, 2010

Oh my, these look great!

Alicia @culinarybliss October 26, 2010

I *must* have foam in my lattes, so I’ve discovered that you can put hot milk into a jar and shake it for a while and you’ll get foam!

Wei-Wei October 26, 2010

Oh, gosh, you just keep outdoing yourself!

Page 1 of 212»