Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The year is 1986.

My hobbies include playing in the snow, baking with my mom, and trying to be just like my older sister Kristi.

20101023-SnowPic2

Life is good.

It is the middle of a long winter in Riverview, New Brunswick and we have just been pummelled with a snow storm. I would stay outside all day long, hour after hour, bundled up with layer upon fuzzy layer with just my excited eyes, red nose, and big grin peeking out through my scarves and hat.

Clearly, I was born to be an endurance athlete, don’t you think?

20101023-SnowPic2-2

Don’t answer that.

The year is now 1992.

20101022-Paris_2010_001

My hobbies include building the world’s most awesome snowmen, baking cakes in my Easy-Bake Oven, and rocking a wardrobe full of neon clothing and snap bracelets. Life is good.

Despite my love for the great outdoors, there was one small catch.

My mom couldn’t get me to come inside to eat!

‘Just a bit longer, pretty please, with a cherry on top?’ fluttering my eyelashes encrusted with icicles.

It is now 2010.

My hobbies are about the same, in addition to taking too many pictures of my food, writing about my day to day baking high jinks, and running.

20101024-IMG_9169

I am a vegan and unlike my younger self, I now understand the importance of fuelling properly for endurance activities.

This is the tale of a couple who fuelled a day of hiking with all-natural energy foods.

20101024-IMG_8585

Won’t you join us?

20101023-IMG_8358e

For the recipes, please see attached PDF document.

20101023-IMG_8274

In tote, was a delicious lunch brimming with healthy energy foods to fuel our 7 mile hike!

20101023-IMG_827220101023-IMG_8279

Eric observed, ‘Well at least we know if we get lost we can survive on this food for a month.’

He obviously doesn’t know me too well if he thinks I could make this delicious food last a whole month!

20101023-IMG_8325

It was time to road trip and see some gorgeous Ontario Fall foliage along the way.

Finally, we arrived!

I had a plan. If I saw a Rattlesnake I was going to throw it a truffle and run like hell.

We searched for the perfect spot.

20101023-IMG_8343

The park was packed with hikers and it was not easy to find a picnic table complete with perfect photography lighting (I joke, I joke).

Finally, it was time to feast…something I had been dreaming about all week long.

20101023-IMG_8228

Our main dish consisted of Protein Power Vegan Chili packed with kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans, walnut burger crumbles, and chunky vegetables.

20101024-IMG_8484

I had a giggle fit after seeing Eric eat his chili with my teeny tiny spoon! What a sport.

The chili was comforting, chunky, with a bit of a spicy kick.

20101021-IMG_7772

And was perfect for a chilly Fall day outdoors.

20101023-IMG_8246b 20101023-IMG_8239

Alongside, Herbed Garlic Knots.

20101020-IMG_770620101020-IMG_771120101021-IMG_7825

The garlic knots were great on their own, but even better when dipped into the chili.

20101023-IMG_8233

For a side, I made Stacked Caesar Salads with eggplant bacon and homemade croutons. I thought stacking the salad was fun for a packed meal.

20101024-IMG_8441

Yum!

20101024-IMG_8443

To wet our whistle, we sipped Pumpkin Spice Lattes made on the stovetop with almond milk, spices, espresso, pumpkin, and vanilla extract.

20101023-IMG_8295

The lattes were comforting, warm, rich, and fragrant with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.

20101023-IMG_8305

20101024-IMG_8559

To say I was excited for dessert was a bit of an understatement…

20101022-IMG_8174

I saw a picture of a Cake in a Jar online and I thought it was a fun idea that would pack well! I put a fun twist on them by making Cake In A Jar Parfaits.

The flavours:

• Butternut Squash Apple Streusel
  • Triple Layer Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake
  • Decadent S’more with homemade graham cracker crumble

20101022-IMG_7850

Damn. Good. Comfort. Food.

20101022-IMG_8187

My favourite was the Butternut Squash Apple Streusel. The cakes were still warm from the oven and incredibly moist unlike any other ‘normal’ cake I have ever tried.

20101024-IMG_8491

Mmmmm.

After lunch, we were bursting with energy and ready to tackle the trails! We dropped off our cooler in the car and were on our way.

20101024-IMG_8619

We brought along homemade Raspberry Vanilla & Pumpkin Apple Spice fruit leather.

20101022-IMG_8052

Can you guess what athlete’s superfood is hiding in them?

20101024-IMG_8598

Chia seeds!

Chia seeds are great for hydration and contain healthy fats, iron, calcium, protein, and antioxidants.

20101024-IMG_8624

I also made a ‘box of truffles’-vegan energy truffles, that is made from dates and nuts.

20101022-IMG_8161

The flavours:

• Chocolate Kissed Peanut Butter
  • Brownie Bliss
  • Pecan Pie Delight

I could not pick a favourite!

20101022-IMG_815520101022-IMG_8141-2

These would make fun and unique Thanksgiving or Christmas gifts, wouldn’t they?

My happy customer inhaled several. ;)

20101024-IMG_8458

And finally, Spiced Apple Pie Chips

20101021-IMG_775420101021-IMG_7763

Cinnamon is not only great for maintaining steady blood sugar levels, but it also contains Iron and Calcium.

20101021-IMG_777020101021-IMG_7811

20101022-IMG_8200

All in all we hiked about 7 miles and had a grand old time, even despite the damp and cool weather!

20101023-IMG_8358

Thanks to the endurance lunch, Eric still had energy to carry me to the car!

20101024-IMG_8579

Life is good. ;)

This is my official entry for Project Food Blog Challenge #6. Voting begins at 9am EST on Monday October 25th. If you enjoyed this post I would greatly appreciate your votes in carrying me into the next round! Click here to vote . Thank you!

1 Charlotte October 24, 2010

Ah you are incredible! Thank you for putting your heart and soul into all this to deliver us magnificent posts, recipes, and pictures!

2 Melissa October 24, 2010

Angela, you’ve outdone yourself on this challenge! Decadent S’more with homemade graham cracker crumble Cake-in-a-jar?! Everything that you’ve made looks decadent and delicious to say the very least. It looks like you and Eric had a wonderful time on your scenic journey! You’ve undoubtedly got another one of my votes…

3 Courtney October 24, 2010

So impressive Angela! It all looks absolutely incredible.

Job well done!

4 Little Bookworm October 24, 2010

Angela this post is absolutely amazing! I am definitely going to be trying some of the recipes. Good luck for this round! :)

5 Sarah October 24, 2010

Wow Angela… I need to get the recipes for these asap! they look amazingly delicious!!

6 Chelsey (Cookteen) October 24, 2010

Looks like an AMAZING meal!! I love the post and hope you win! You never disappoint…
With love and cupcakes,
Cookteen

7 grocery goddess jen October 24, 2010

Awesome adventure, Angela! That chili looks soooo good, and so do the cakes in a jar and truffles!

8 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 24, 2010

My jaw has dropped. So many amazing things happening in the post for me to comment on…so obviously you have my vote. And obviously, Eric is one very lucky husband :)

9 Dawn October 24, 2010

What a fun post! I loved it. So cute seeing your hubby with that tiny spoon, I had a little giggle at that too! Don’t you love Ontario in the fall, so pretty! I would love to try to make those truffles. They look very decadent!

10 Megan (Running Foodie) October 24, 2010

Seriously, Angela, you are unbelievable! I’ve seen a LOT of really great PFB entries, but none are ever as detailed and beautiful as yours! I really hope you win :)

11 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 24, 2010

Angela I loved this — so much better than just a handful of granola bars for a hike! I loved seeing Eric eat with the tiny spoon — how hilarious!!! He is such a good sport.

Well done on a fabulous post!

12 Jaya October 24, 2010

Contest aside, this is one of the best posts I have ever seen/read here. Gorgeous shots. The fruit leathers photo (aerial view) is absolutely outstanding. Most importantly, you enjoyed it all with the one you love! Thank you for sharing! Everything looks so outstanding!

13 Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels October 24, 2010

This looks like the perfect Sunday ever! And that food! To die!

14 Meredith (Pursuing Balance: Diary of a Dietetic Intern) October 24, 2010

You two are so cute together! Beautiful post — the photos had my mouth watering for sure! Thank you for sharing.

15 Kelsey H October 24, 2010

every single post i think “how can it get any better?” but they seriously keep getting better every week. you seriously outdid yourself…again! where can i find the recipes? maybe later this week;)

16 stacey-healthylife October 24, 2010

How fun, everything looks so delicious and creative. I love the mason jar cakes, great idea. I really hope you win the contest.

17 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 24, 2010

oh my Angela – you are such a TALENTED lady! I love everything about this post – the food, the photos and the energy!!!

18 Caitlin (EatFeats) October 24, 2010

How sweet is your husband?! You two are such a cute couple!

And, of course, outstanding work. You are still my cooking hero!

19 bitt October 24, 2010

Great work! Cheering you on. I really really hope you win.

20 Bree October 24, 2010

Amazing post, Angela! I am drooling. Can’t wait to see the recipes for cake parfaits in a jar and I think I may make some of those truffles tonight and surprise my husband!

21 Michelle October 24, 2010

Angela, this is my favorite post you have ever written! The pictures are gorgeous, the food looks delicious, and your personality really comes through. Good work!!!

22 Maddie October 24, 2010

Angela, I love this post. You are amazing and have gone above and beyond for all of the challenges! All of the recipes look delicious and cake in a jar? YUM! You have my vote and I really hope you win project food blog! You deserve it :D

23 Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 24, 2010

Great job my dear!!! I love the cakes in a jar… I’ll have to make those using my extra jars from Challenge 6 over here :)

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

haha I saw that you used Mason jars too….loved it. Aren’t they great?

25 Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 24, 2010

YES! Awesome! And the best part: all the lids fit all the jars, and they work for drinks AND food :)

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

I’m pretty much in love with Mason jars.
Ive decided that I want my entire kitchen to be stocked with them in every cupboard holding everything from rice to chia seeds to dried beans and apple chips. ;)

27 Jill October 24, 2010

Angela,
I have been following your blog for a few months now, and I haven’t commented before…I have tried several of your recipes and I love them all!
You are unreal! This is amazing and you are incredibly talented!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Thanks for your nice comment!

29 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) October 24, 2010

You did it again! All of these Foodbuzz Challenges posts are incredible, Angela! Well done. Love the pics (particularly the black and white, with the one parfait in color). Glad I could help provide a link for the fruit leather.

Did you like the raspberry-vanilla one??

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Yes they were yummy! Thank you again for the link :) I had been searching forever to find a recipe. I can’t wait to experiment with different fruit!

31 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 24, 2010

Your creativity for all the challenges has been amazing!! I love this- especially the chocolates and the cakes in a jar!!

32 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 24, 2010

Another great post…you are doing so well!

33 Ashley October 24, 2010

I’m floored. Honestly. This looks like it took a month to put together. I can’t get over it! The photos are completely incredible and the food just looks beyond outstanding. I’m at a loss for words…such an inspiration. xo

34 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 24, 2010

Amazing again! Voting tomorrow!

35 Marci October 24, 2010

Wow that is a beautiful picnic! So impressive! And those leaves are just gorgeous too!

36 Whitney October 24, 2010

Amazing. I can’t think of anything else to say. Everyone has stolen my comments! You should be so proud. Just to make a post like this… seriously unreal! Congrats :D

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Thanks for your comments and support! :)

38 Erin October 24, 2010

Holy Crap!!! that looks amazing!!! I must replicate this at once! I just need to find myself a companion to chow down the meal with Lol
How do you come up with these amazing ideas/recipes!? I’d love to know where you draw your inspiration from and how you know what amount of each ingredient to put into your baking items so they come out a success.

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

lol…I guess and I have some flops to go with the guessing!

40 kelsey @ un-american in france October 24, 2010

I loved this post! It looks like a delicious lunch!! My mom was born in Ontario (Fort Eerie) and I’ve always wanted to visit. Seeing your photos definitely bumps it up on my list! I wish I had the time to cook as much as you do! Although, right now I’d just like to have a better equipped kitchen than my French apartment has to offer. Miam miam! (That’s yum yum in French!)

41 Jess October 24, 2010

Um wow—I loved everything about this! Can’t wait to try all the recipes : )

42 Ashley October 24, 2010

Wow! That is so awesome. How do you vote? I will confess I haven’t voted for anything yet. (thought you had to be a member of something) But I would like to vote for yours — so cool!

43 Caitlin October 24, 2010
44 Ashley October 24, 2010

Cool thanks! I’m on it!

45 kelli October 24, 2010

love this!! this post is amazing and looks like you put your heart and soul into it!!! The chili looks delicious and cute salads :) Love the cake in a jar idea. Also wow eric looks slimmer than ever and is glowing!! Did you hike with the bag of empty jars?!

46 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair October 24, 2010

Wow. That is all I have to say because I’m seriously floored by your cooking, photography and story-telling talents. You totally deserve to win this competition!

47 Caitlin October 24, 2010

Angela, I did not know you grew up in New Brunswick. I went on a cruise this summer and stopped in Saint John for a day and it was such a charming little town!
Also, that picture of Eric is just adorable. He seems like such a sport posing for your picture with that teeny tiny spoon!! hehe
Lastly, you are just so darn creative. :)

48 Lisa October 24, 2010

You are so incredible Angela. I am so jealous of you!!

49 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe October 24, 2010

Love this post Angela! I honestly cannot choose which of yours I’ve liked best – they are all so unique and wonderful. I especially love the salad on a stick – so creative!

You look beautiful in these pics btw:) Good luck!!

50 Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats October 24, 2010

Those cakes in a jar look fantastic!

51 Nicole (Picky Nicky) October 24, 2010

All I can say is that the world could use several more Angela’s :)

52 Kat October 24, 2010

Wow-what a great post! The food looks delicious!

53 MarathonVal October 24, 2010

This looks amazing Angela! I think this would have taken me about 3 months to put together. The best of luck with voting!

54 Sara October 24, 2010

Seriously you outdo yourself every time! Great job, again!! :D

55 lindsay (goodiesgalore) October 24, 2010

eric is one lucky man.

56 Angie October 24, 2010

AMAZING post! I’m guessing you’ll win reader’s choice again. I wish I could be as creative with food as you are.. sigh. You’re a healthy foodie inspiration. Thank you!

57 Stephanie @ Laugh and Cook October 24, 2010

what an awesome post!!! :D I really want a bite of those chocolate candies!

58 Sarah October 24, 2010

To say you outdid yourself would be an understatement!

I absolutely love how this post (and so many others) are just oozing with your enthusiasm and excitement. It’s contagious! I’m off to try your spiced apple chips…

59 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition October 24, 2010

I have never been so excited to read a post! EAch food you made looked better and better. What an amazing journey you’ve been on- and I see it in your smile. You do glow now! And you guys are adorable together : )

60 Heather October 24, 2010

OMG, the truffles!!! Are the recipes for them on your site and I’m just overlooking the link? Must make them now. Now! Or soon. Please post the recipes or help my inattentive self find where they are.

61 carly October 24, 2010

THIS IS AN AMAZING POST!!! Angela, you put so much thought and creativity into your posts– not to mention culinary talent. I don’t think I’ve ever left a comment before but whenever I need cooking inspiration I visit your blog. Thank you for all your hard work, and best of luck with the project food blog competition :)

62 Allison October 24, 2010

Looks so delicious!!!!! I’m rooting (and voting!) for you to win!!!!!

63 Stacie October 24, 2010

I feel like a broken record, but if you really like the record why stop playing it right? What do I mean? Below is a repeat of things I’ve said before, but feel it deserves repeating!
–You will get my one and only vote tomorrow
–Thank you for the awesome recipes in a pdf file! Really?! This can’t be real! People will pay good money for that!
–Thank you for sharing all your hard work with us.
–You and Eric are so cute together!!!
–Thank you for being an insipration for all of us and kudos to your for following your heart in life and career!

Can’t wait to vote for you tomorrow :) You are the best!!

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Stacie you rock! Thanks for putting a big smile on my face.

65 Leah @ Why Deprive? October 24, 2010

Wow! Everything looks so amazing, and I love all the scenery shots!

66 Balanced Healthy Life October 24, 2010

You did such an amazing job on this! I can’t believe you have enough time to cook, bake and prepare such an awesome meal!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Thank you!
As for finding time, my posting frequency has gone down since the start of this challenge…lol. Something had to give I guess! I figure if it is hopefully better quality it is worth it, right?

68 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 24, 2010

Such delicious food on a hike? I never would have imagined!

This post is perfect, Angela- you have my vote! :)

69 Lindsay October 24, 2010

Wow this looks like an amazing picnic. I never get to go on picnics anymore because I work weekends and I dont have anyone to go picnicing with during the week, but I will most definitely be trying these recipes out during the week at home!! :)

70 Vanessa October 24, 2010

Congrats on another adorable and yum-inspiring post! I’ll continue to vote for your delicious and healthy eats :o)

71 Therese October 24, 2010

I absolutely LOVE this post (and not just because my house currently smells like apple pie as I have apple crisps in the dehydrator…)! You’ll definitely be another reader favourite here! I want to go on a hike with you!!!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

enjoy those apple chips! Im obsessed with them.

73 Hope October 24, 2010

Wow, this is out of this world!! Soooo many new ideas for me to try!!

Totally gets my vote!

74 laura October 24, 2010

cake in a jar! –sounds fantastic ;)
beautiful pictures, ahhh i cant believe its almost winter.

75 AnneWF October 24, 2010

What a wonderful post. This is my favorite post to date. The new layout of photos, the writing, the subject, the whole kit and kaboodle. Thank you for the smiles and the great foods. I want the recipes please. You have my vote too!

76 Halley (Blunder Construction) October 24, 2010

CIAJ + a box of chocolates?!? Unprecedented! There are so many fine details packed into each and every dish, and your presentation of each is so fabulous. It’s inspiring and mouth-watering all at once!

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

CIAJ…haha love that. and thank you for your kind comments :)

78 Janae Jacobs October 24, 2010

WOW!! Those garlic knots look soooo good. I am also pretty sure I could eat those energy truffles for the rest of my life and be content:) Beautiful pictures! I am voting for you!

79 Leah @ L4L October 24, 2010

Angela, I love this. I loved seeing you incorporate the recipes from the past week! You’ve got this in the bag! Errr…. cooler!

80 Gina October 24, 2010

Your posts are nothing short of amazing! You definitely deserve to win this competition! I’ll be voting for you tomorrow :)

81 iga@thedelishdish October 24, 2010

what a creative picnic!! i love the ceasar bites…so cute!

82 Kyla October 24, 2010

Wow! Everything looks incredible! And you’re right, life is good :)

83 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 24, 2010

Very impressive post! I loved the pictures – they are incredible!

84 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 24, 2010

You totally deserve to win project food blog! Your posts continue to impress and amaze! I want to go on a hike with you and eat this delicious feast.

85 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 24, 2010

Truly magazine-worthy photos, AND awesome food! Can’t wait for these recipes, they look great!

86 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 24, 2010

lovelovelove this post!
seriously.
talk about vegan food lovin’ :)

87 Bridget October 24, 2010

Ange you are killing me! This is AMAZING! Just when i think you’ve done your best post you blow me away with your next post.

You deserve a standing ovation for this one :)

88 Danielle October 24, 2010

Absolutely amazing, as usual!! I seriously look forward to every one of your blog posts (especially the PFB ones) and I have never seen someone with such passion and attention to detail!

89 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 24, 2010

Wow, you totally outdid yourself this time! I hope you win!

This post really makes me miss our GTA hiking trails! There isn’t anywhere quite as good here in London.

90 Andi Murray October 24, 2010

All I can say is, WOW!

You are amazing..!!!

91 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing October 24, 2010

You did all that AND went on a 7 mile hike?! You are a TROOPER!
Those desserts-in-a-jar are going on my “to bake” list!

92 Ida October 24, 2010

Your creativity in the kitchen blows me away! I love all the fall colors too.

93 Gree October 24, 2010

That looks like such a delicious lunch, you outdid yourself! I love the fruit leather, the colors are beautiful. I would go on a hike with you guys any day!

94 Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey October 24, 2010

Oh my gosh, Angela! You are a beast–in the absolute best way possible. I don’t know how you do it. You’re amazing.

95 Maya October 24, 2010

HOLY EFFING *#!$. That was a little crude, but what I’m trying to say is that your spread looks absolutely gorgeous. Kudos, Angela!

I can’t wait for the cake parfait in a glass recipe. PERFECT for picnics!

96 Babs October 24, 2010

Wow. Everything looks so incredible. Can I picnic with you ;)

I showed my fiance the pictures and he thought you were a model, so if the blogger/baker thing doesn’t work out at least you know you have a solid backup :)

97 Faith @ lovelyascharged October 24, 2010

Ange, I LOVE that idea of the stacked salads – it’s so much more portable and SO much more fun! I seriously think that may be my lunch tomorrow!!!

98 Bec October 24, 2010

Wow! Angela, this post is awesome! I used to follow many blogs but over time they have become boring but yours just keeps getting better and better. The amount of effort you put into everything that you do is inspiring and it makes me want to beat my disordered eating/thinking and be a better person. I hope that you know what a positive effect you have on people.

I have been following your progress in the competition but have not voted as I have not registered but after this entry I will be. I hope that you win. I wish you every success.

And finally… It is lovely to see through your blog just how much Eric loves you to pieces! So happy that you found each other because it seems like you were made for one another.

Bec

99 Kris October 24, 2010

This comment makes my heart smile! It is so nice to see that other people can truly be happy for someone! :-)

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Wow thank you so much, your comments means the world to me :)

101 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life October 24, 2010

Wow! I don’t think you’re going to have any trouble advancing to the next round. You’ve definitely got my vote!

102 Paige @Running Around Normal October 24, 2010

Holy crap – this post is amazing!! Angela you are so very talented! Great writing, great ideas, and great FOOD!! And great fun ;)

103 Camille October 24, 2010

What a perfect meal and a perfect day!
I’m go glad you have made it this far!

104 Julia October 24, 2010

Wow, these recipes look fabulous. I’ve made a bunch of your dishes recently as I’ve found myself leaning more and more towards vegan cuisine. I hope a cookbook is in the future!!

105 Katy @ a shot of life October 24, 2010

What a great post! Looks like you had a fun day and the food looks delish :) You’ve got my vote!

106 Kris October 24, 2010

WOWZERSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are amazing! It is obvious you put your heart and soul into everything you do and this is no exception! You deserve Reader’s Choice all the way! You’ve got my vote, hands down! Way to go! :-)

107 Whitney October 24, 2010

Love the post Angela! I didn’t know you grew up in Riverview?! How long were you there for? I grew up in Moncton, although I’m now living in Houston. I love blogs because they make the world a smaller place :)

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

I lived there from birth until 4 yrs and then again for 6 years during middle school and highschool :)

109 Olya October 24, 2010

Oh boy. I don’t know any words in english to praise your amazing creativity. Wait… I know some words in russian:
Это творение искусства! (rough translation: this is a creation of art!) :)

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Whoa love that!

111 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots October 24, 2010

You are seriously amazing. This post makes me so incredibly happy. You deserve to win this competition because you are obviously SO passionate about every challenge.

I want to be like you when I grow up (actually, I think I’m older than you, but you get the idea :)).

112 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

haha thank you for the smile :)

113 Felicia October 24, 2010

amazing post with beautiful photography! love it! recently did a 9 mile hike through the mountains here in upstate NY and i can’t get enough of the beautiful fall colors!

114 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats October 24, 2010

You are totally rocking entry after entry. Go you :)

115 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 24, 2010

oh.my.WORD!! this post in itself is worth $10,000. i can’t believe your talent, creativity, and patience — A-mazing!!

116 Menden October 24, 2010

Looks like an amazing happy day full of amazing delicious eats! Great job on this post…and best of luck to you! You and your hubby are just the cutest. You look like you have so much fun together! :)

117 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 24, 2010

Ho. Ly. Crap. This is AMAZING!!!! Everything looks absolutely gorgeous. I can’t even decide which part of your lunch I’d want to try first. You’ve totally outdone yourself Ange – again!! Fantastic job! :D

118 Moni'sMeals October 24, 2010

No way! That was truly amazing. That it the perfect day too if you ask me. I hope you win, job well done!
Thanks for making this such a great post for all of us to see. :)

119 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 24, 2010

Oh picnics are so much fun! I love your pictures. The two of you loo like you’re having a blast. Love that last picture of the two of you!

120 Toronto Girl West October 24, 2010

You’re definitely giving this contest a run for it’s money!!!

Lovely.

Simply lovely. :)

121 Jae October 24, 2010

You’ve outdone yourself.
How Angela How?
I drooled just looking at that spread.
You should legit open up a globakeryrestaurant.
I’d go to Canada from New Orleans for your spread. No lie :)

122 Ashley October 24, 2010

I love the Cake in a Jar Parfaits!!!

123 Courtney October 24, 2010

My goodness Angela! soo cute!! how did you make those pumpkin spice lattes? YUM!

124 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston October 24, 2010

I love the presentation of all your food.. plus the menu was fantastic along with the scenery!

125 Shanna October 24, 2010

You are beautiful inside and out!

126 Wendy October 24, 2010

I love your lunch meal! Could you make a nut-free version? :)

127 Meaghen October 24, 2010

You defintely went way above and beyond for this challenge! Everything looks amazing. You put so much effort into all these challenges! The pictures are amazinng! I consider myself very luck to live in Ontario!! We have some beautiful scenaries!

128 Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) October 24, 2010

Angela- you never cease to amaze me with your delicious, well thought out, and extremely detailed PFB entries! I want to make every single recipe in this post! Yet another job very well done, you’ve got my vote for sure :)

129 Emily October 24, 2010

Phenomenal job Ange!! This post and menu is incredible!! Beautiful photography, too :) Good luck!!

130 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 24, 2010

Decadent S’more with homemade graham cracker crumble
The fruit leather
The Vegan Truffles…

Omg.

But you. The pics of you! There is one of you biting into something…oh you look so sassy and gorgeous. LOVE IT!!

131 Brittany October 24, 2010

You are so creative!! Where did you find your mini spoons?? They are adorable!

132 Ravenous Rowie October 24, 2010

Beautiful pics! That was such a feast! Good luck with the contest!

133 Michelle October 24, 2010

I am completely and utterly in love with your blog, and not just because you are a fellow Canadian. We are on opposite sides of the country and I must say that I have just started following your blog religiously for the past week and wish that we were much closer (and that’s not because you have just given me my newfound favourite Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe). I am crossing my fingers for you in the Project Food Blog contest!

134 Allie (Nutty FlexitALLIEan) October 24, 2010

Girl you really stepped it up with this challenge! I literally want to make every recipe on the menu. Brilliant! :-)

135 erica October 24, 2010

whoa…not only do you make a fabulous picnic….the presentation and photography are amazing!!! i don’t know how you do it!!!

and i love that last picture of you and eric…reminds me of edward and bella running through the woods…(twlight nerd alert!)

136 Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly October 24, 2010

Your day looks like a storybook!! I love getting to see the behind-the-scenes setup shots, too. :-)

137 Bertha October 24, 2010

oh my goodness, angela! thank you so much for your generosity!!! im from the philippines and im on my semestral break right now so im headed for the beach in a few days. the truffles, spiced apple chips and fruit leather will surely be packed with the rest of my beach essentials. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :)

138 Wei-Wei October 24, 2010

I am just blown away. You’re just too amazing.

139 Jess October 24, 2010

what a beautiful day:-) i love the salad on a stick idea!

140 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Thanks everyone for your comments! :)

For those of you interested, the recipes are here: http://ohsheglows.com/docs/roadtrip.pdf

(I linked in the post but it is easy to miss)

141 maya @ finding balance in tokyo October 25, 2010

Wow.. you did an amazing job! I’ve made truffles similar to yours, but your presentation of them is amazing! It really looks like a box of specialty truffles. I’ll have to try that next time. :D

142 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie@hotmail.com) October 25, 2010

I seriously don’t know how you find the time to be so creative, and to make such delicious looking goodies!!! You are AMAZING, and I admire you.

143 Amy October 25, 2010

You are just amazing.Your food looks heavenly. I do have to ask though…how do you keep every leaf on the path from sticking to Lululemon bottoms (I’m guessing that’s what you are wearing or have worn on a hike)?? I can’t make it from my house to my car without half a cat’s fur, every leaf, burr and grass trimming stuck to the bottom of the pants. I know you can’t use fabric softener on luon and so I’m “stuck” (pun intended) with pants that magnetize crap of all sorts within a half mile radius. I’m a Lulu lover and I just have to know. Is it just me that has this issue? Thanks!!

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

I had burs all over my pants, but I didnt see any leaves!

145 Amanda October 25, 2010

So cute! I think you outdid yourself! (Is that possible??) All that food is making me hungry : )

146 Mi-An Dela Cruz October 25, 2010

I’m always reading your blogs but never commented, but after seeing this post, a comment was necessary! Simply to say, WOWWWW!! amazing!!! everything LOOKED delicious!!! I can’t even pick my favorite, but if i had to, IF i had to…probably the box truffles!!!

147 Casey Thomas October 25, 2010

WOW Angela! This is all so amazing. You are such an incredibly creative woman. Great job!!!

Can you be my personal chef?! :)

I give my raw date/dried fruit and nut/seed treats to my friends and family all the time for gifts…love the idea of making ti look like a chocolate box!

Casey

148 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

hehe sure ;) It was really fun making them into a box of truffles/chocolates. Maybe I am just a dork like that!? lol

149 skinny latte October 25, 2010

Angela, if you don’t win this competition there’s something wrong….you are streets ahead!! Always inspiring, always innovative and original, and always fun to read! Keep up the great work! :)

150 Anna October 25, 2010

Oh gosh, Angela, I just want to BE you. So excited over getting the recipes for the cake-in-a-jar parfaits, and I’m definitely going to make those truffles (all three kinds!) in the near future. Love all these pictures too, the fruit leathers photograph is a stunner!

151 Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 25, 2010

AMAZING job! I am so impressed and all your food looked incredibly tasty.

152 Tinka October 25, 2010

Amazing Angela!
Out of all the amazing posts so far this is definitely the coolest for the Foodbuzz contest.
x

153 Cara Craves... October 25, 2010

Amazing!

I was checking out some recipes on Canadian Living and saw that your blog got posted
as one of the top in Canada (I have to agree! Though they could have expanded it to North America, I think!)
I continue to love reading your blog each day. Thanks for sharing!

154 Beth @ 990 Square October 25, 2010

I want to go on that nature hike!

155 Kristy October 25, 2010

You NEVER disappoint! Amazing!

156 jenna October 25, 2010

you are wonderwoman in the kitchen!!! if anyone should have a vegan cookbook it should be YOU! :) everything looks stunning!

157 Heidi - Apples Under My Bed October 25, 2010

I adored every little inch of this post. Especially the fruit straps! I must try your cake in a jar idea. You are such a creative, inspiring cook, Angela! Thank you :)
Heidi xo

158 Steph October 25, 2010

Everything looks amazing! Of course I am most intrigued by the cakes in a jar! Cant wait for those recipes :)

159 Jenny October 25, 2010

This is so cute! I love it and all of the food looked amazing! Good luck:)

160 Erin October 25, 2010

wow I love fruit leather and that which you made looks AMAZING!!!

161 Kirsten October 25, 2010

Love your post! You are so creative and I’m looking forward to some of the recipes out! You have my vote!!

162 Kristy October 25, 2010

Wow, what a great post everything looks delish! Beautiful pics and I love the pic of your hubby with the tiny spoon, too funny! :)

163 Laurab @ foodsnobstl October 25, 2010

You are brillant! Everything about this is amazing and inspiring!

164 jaime October 25, 2010

You are one step away from being in a magazine! I enjoy reading your post each morning. Awesome stuff!

165 Sonya October 25, 2010

Thank you for such a delicious post! I love eating in a way that reduces meat and animal fat and your recipes are perfect. One question since I’m gluten-sensitive, what type of flour can I substitute in the Herbed Garlic Knots? Who knew you could eat so well as a Vegan?! Thank you.

166 Sonya October 25, 2010

Oh, and I cannot wait for the Cake in a Jar recipes. My hubby and I are going to Orlando, FL soon via automobile and bringing along some of the food you’ve shared will be wonderful. Thank you.

167 aubrey @ italktofood October 25, 2010

I can not believe how incredibly beautiful this is. You are so creative! You truley deserve to win this. And those cake in a jar parfaits look amazing.

168 Janiek @ abrandnewchange October 25, 2010

This post made me very hungry!!! :O

169 rachael (peace, kale, and yoga) October 25, 2010

What an amazing picnic! Your food looks delicious and your pictures are beautiful! Not to mention that last picture of you and Eric proves that you may just be the cutest couple ever:)

170 Ashley October 25, 2010

I can’t wait to make everything on you Vegan Endurance Lunch menu! For some reason, I can’t see the Walnut Burger recipe. Is this the same thing as your Lentil Walnut Burgers?

Thanks!

171 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

oh, hmm I will have to check on that link!
Yes it is my lentil walnut burgers. I had some in the freezer and simply defrosted them and mixed the crumbles in! It is not necessary but it was kinda fun.

172 Nour October 25, 2010

Rattlesnake point is one of mine and the boy’s favorite places!! We frequent for a nice afternoon picnic!!

I can’t wait to make those apple chips! Everything is awesome – you have my vote!

173 CathyK October 25, 2010

two thumbs up, yet again, angela!
content, photography, recipes, fun factor…i would have to give you A+ in all of those categories!
rattlesnake point is our favourite hiking spot, too!
thanks for the wonderful read, and BEST WISHES in the competition!

174 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

it’s so much fun there isn’t it?

175 Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 25, 2010

wonderful as always :)

176 LizLivingVegan October 25, 2010

Wow, what an amazing spread of food! Eric is a lucky guy to get to eat such a tasty picnic ;) I’m going to have to bookmark this page, so next time someone says “You’re a vegan? You probably don’t get enough protein!” this meal would keep ANYONE fueled for the day!!!

177 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

haha awesome!

178 Amelia from Z Tasty Life October 25, 2010

it all looks so cosy and comforting. Lovely fall day!

179 Preena Chauhan October 25, 2010

So creative Angela, especially your energy truffle box. Will place my vote!

180 Becki October 25, 2010

You are amazing!! I don’t know how you do it all but you do!

181 skinnyrunner October 25, 2010

i want to go hiking with you! just for the food.
you should be a professional chef, that is one amazing, portable meal!

182 monicanelsonfitness October 25, 2010

I looked at this again, I just love it!

183 may October 25, 2010

You deserve a vote from me!! Well done,Angela!=)

184 stephanie from toronto October 25, 2010

Just one word… Wow!!

185 Sheree' October 25, 2010

Angela,
I think I’m going to “borrow’ a couple of your recipes, I love the stacked salads. These would be a great appetizer for a party. Love the desserts in a jar, so cute and easy to pack and go. I have to say that you and Eric make a stunning couple and he has really changed in looks in the past few months. He shares that same healthy glow that you are so famous for!!! Love that you are living life and having fun together!

186 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 25, 2010

You were SUCH a cute kid! Also, I really like the pictures of you and Eric in the foggy forest :)
And the meal looks amazing, even to an omnivore such as myself. Major swoon for the chili and cake in a jar!

187 Mary Heppenstall October 25, 2010

Congrats Angela, your blog is so inspiring in so many ways!

188 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life October 25, 2010

Oh my gosh, I don’t know how you do all of this! That post alone would take me days…and all of the cooking would take me months! And yet you still have a smile on your face and energy for a 7 mile hike – so inspiring!

Thank you for doing what you love and sharing it with all of us. Your enthusiasm and love for life is contangious!

189 Jenny October 25, 2010

Oh my god!
I just want you to follow me around and cater my life.

190 Amber K October 25, 2010

I LOVE this! I can’t even fully express in words how yummy that all looks. I am going to dig through your recipes now. :)

191 Melissa October 25, 2010

This is amazing!! I would love eat everything you featured in this post! Your photos are perfect, looks like quite the perfect day!

192 Margaret October 25, 2010

Angela… Truly amazing again…….

I knew I should have tailed you in my car when you left for your picnic on Sunday.
No wonder Eric took time out from his renovations, which also look amazing.

Great Food. Great Pictures. Great Couple

193 Heather October 25, 2010

You are SO amazing. Seriously girl. Wow.

ps…hubby looks GREAT! Looks like his lifestyle changes are agreeing with him! I have managed to get my hubby on some better habits too!

194 Gypsy October 25, 2010

So that’s what you were doing all weekend!
Everyone has said it already – but AMAZING and YUMMY and can’t wait to try everything.
Especially the cake in a jar. I was just telling my fiance I’m not much of a cake person, more of an ice cream and cookie gal, but it looks like this cake might change that!
Good Luck on the contest!!!!

195 Judy October 25, 2010

Great entry! Looks delicious. Just voted for you:)

196 Kathryn October 25, 2010

Wow wow wow! It’s got my vote!

197 Bekah @ runtrackmind October 25, 2010

What a fun and delicious time you must have had! Everything from the scenery to the food looked fabulous.

198 Amanda October 25, 2010

Absolutely incredible! You are such an inspiration. Can’t wait to see the cake recipes!

199 Errign October 25, 2010

You are just incredible!

200 Lea @ Healthy Coconut October 25, 2010

I love all your Foodbuzz entries but I think this is my favorite one because of all the different delicious food you made + the fall foliage + ROMANCE :)

I’m planning my wedding, so I’m surrounded with romantic pictures as part of the planning and I get goosebumps every time I hear of a romantic story or small wedding details that is just so thoughtful. I got goosebumps reading this post, you two are such cute couple and I know it probably wasn’t intended to be a romantic post but to me it was :) What a lovely post to read on a Monday morning.

201 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

Thank you so much, what a nice thing to say! :) How is your wedding planning going?

202 Amy October 25, 2010

WOW…this is so awesome. And your skin is so flawlessly pretty!

203 Betsy October 25, 2010

Awesome work to you as well, Angela!! Just beautiful, really… I didn’t want the post to end!

204 Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear October 25, 2010

You’re amazing!!!! what a spread and those truffles stole my heart!

205 Lisa~Korean American Mommy October 25, 2010

This is just amazing! I love the menu, the location, the photos…well done! Voted.

206 Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries October 25, 2010

You are so incredible. Wow. I’m in awe, honestly!!

207 Caroline October 25, 2010

MUST. MAKE. CAKE. INAJAR.

I die for cake, but it has to be moist. I usually nuke mine for 30 secs to make the icing all melty, and then mix it all together to make a delicious ooey gooey concoction.

Ugh, now I’m drooling.

Anyway, not only are your photos beautiful, your dishes look divine. An inspiration you are! Especially to those just starting out (ahem, me). Love love love your blog–good luck in PFB!!

208 sippitysup October 25, 2010

Again I am stunned by the beautiful food and the overwhelming love that pours out of you. GREG

209 Whitney October 25, 2010

I love this post. If I could vote more than once I would have. Truly gets you in the Fall spirit :) Can’t wait to try the Decadent S’more with homemade graham cracker crumble. Looks yummy.

210 Ritika October 25, 2010

This is the first time I’ve commented and it won’t be the last! From the first picture I could tell this was going to be a heartwarming post. Thanks for inspiring us all, Angela! You’ve gone such a long way and bring so much fun, beauty, and joy. I just voted for you on Food Buzz. Good luck! :)

211 Krysta October 25, 2010

Ok that picnic lunch looks amazing! And that photo of Eric with the little spoon is hilarious!

212 Rachel Randolph October 25, 2010

Angela, you never cease to amaze me! If you don’t win this whole challenge I will be floored. You and Eric are such a cute couple. Your adventures inspire me to get out and do more fun activities with my handsome hubby, too.

213 Ingunn October 25, 2010

Holy mackerel, look at those fall colors!!

Excellent post – I definitely have to try the energy truffles; I always end up eating Larabars on hikes and then I get annoyed because I should just make them myself. :o)

214 Pure2raw twins October 25, 2010

WOW!! This post..Angela, your words, pictures are so moving and beautiful!
The cakes in a jar?? Now that is something I must try. What a perfect travel companion ; )

215 Dee October 25, 2010

WOW! I’m so impressed! The food you made looks unbelievably amazing! You certainly have a gift Angela!

ps. I loved seeing the lovely pictures! :)

216 Allison October 25, 2010

You are seriously awesome, great job!!! :-)

217 Nikki October 25, 2010

The contest should end now. You should just win!

218 Kristen October 25, 2010

That looks amazingly yummy. The cake in a jar thing is really interesting and looks yummy.

219 Becky October 25, 2010

I just want to say thank you! Your website is awsome! I really can’t wait to see the recipes for your cake in a jar! They look delicious. Yesterday was the first day I was on your website, and I can’t get off of it! I am going to be having your banana split over night oats. i really can’t wait to try them. I have tried eating raw, and I do like it, but I am loving your recipes, so I maybe switching to vegan! You are an inspiration! Thank you so much for this website. I will let you know how much I loved the banana split tomorrow!

One more thing, I am a runner like you and was wondering if you have tried the five finger toe shoes? i really want to try them.

You are awesome!

220 Susan October 25, 2010

Riverview represent ;)

221 Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen October 26, 2010

Everything about your picnic looks amazing. Nothing like chili to energize you for a long hike. And chocolates to finish the day? I’m jealous.

222 Beverly October 26, 2010

Do you have any of the recipes for what you made? I’d love to try some of the things… the parfaits, the apple chips, etc.

223 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2010

Yup I linked to the recipes in PDF format right under the menu. :) The cake recipes will be coming up in a couple weeks.

224 Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 27, 2010

What a fantastic meal!! I loved the writing too — You have a vote from me!

For my entry, I wanted to create a road trip and picnic for my boyfriend, who had recently given me a “do over” of one of my childhood memories. I decided to give him his own “do over” — a special birthday picnic with a heart-themed meal. Come see if you’d like :)

225 Mariko October 27, 2010

Cute throwback pictures.
I am excited about those desserts in the glass jars. I’m waiting patiently for you to post those ones. My friend just asked me if I had any good new vegan recipes…

226 Joie de vivre October 27, 2010

Hooray for healthy living blogs! I love the idea of your power packed lunch. This is my first time on your site, found it though Foodbuzz! You have my vote.

227 Veronica October 27, 2010

I know I’m a little late…but I just had to tell you how much I loved your entry! Everything looked amazing! You def. get my vote! Oh, and the pic of Eric with the tiny spoon was priceless : ) Good Luck this round

228 Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse October 28, 2010

I’d never voted for any posts before but this one prompted me to… the food looks absolutely delicious but what a great post overall; photography, words, everything… good luck in the competition but don’t think you need it! :-)

229 Les October 30, 2010

Wow! This looks amazing! Can’t wait to make it! You are very inspiring and I enjoy reading your blog and seeing your pics
Just wondering where you got the containers for the chilli and the latte’s? and how long do the truffles last before they go bad?
Peace, Les!

230 Kelly@rahraw October 30, 2010

Wow, what an amazing blog you have!!! My mouth literally (okay, not really, but almost) dropped to the floor when I saw your picnic lunch pictures! I would way more enjoy seeing your creations/reading about your food discoveries than watch boring Martha on t.v. haha!

By the way, I adore your spoons – where did you get them if you can remember? My family makes fun of me for using baby spoons, but I like using them anyways :)

231 Christine November 8, 2010

I just wanted to say you nailed it on this post. Congrats!!!

232 amber-dawn May 20, 2012

looked like the best day ever! do we get the recipes for these?

233 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2012

yup I linked to them in the post :)

234 amber-dawn May 21, 2012