Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The year is 1986.

My hobbies include playing in the snow, baking with my mom, and trying to be just like my older sister Kristi.

20101023SnowPic2 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Life is good.

It is the middle of a long winter in Riverview, New Brunswick and we have just been pummelled with a snow storm. I would stay outside all day long, hour after hour, bundled up with layer upon fuzzy layer with just my excited eyes, red nose, and big grin peeking out through my scarves and hat.

Clearly, I was born to be an endurance athlete, don’t you think?

20101023SnowPic22 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Don’t answer that.

The year is now 1992.

20101022Paris 2010 001 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

My hobbies include building the world’s most awesome snowmen, baking cakes in my Easy-Bake Oven, and rocking a wardrobe full of neon clothing and snap bracelets. Life is good.

Despite my love for the great outdoors, there was one small catch.

My mom couldn’t get me to come inside to eat!

‘Just a bit longer, pretty please, with a cherry on top?’ fluttering my eyelashes encrusted with icicles.

It is now 2010.

My hobbies are about the same, in addition to taking too many pictures of my food, writing about my day to day baking high jinks, and running.

20101024IMG 9169 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

I am a vegan and unlike my younger self, I now understand the importance of fuelling properly for endurance activities.

This is the tale of a couple who fuelled a day of hiking with all-natural energy foods.

20101024IMG 8585 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Won’t you join us?

20101023IMG 8358e thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

For the recipes, please see attached PDF document.

20101023IMG 8274 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

In tote, was a delicious lunch brimming with healthy energy foods to fuel our 7 mile hike!

20101023IMG 8272 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101023IMG 8279 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Eric observed, ‘Well at least we know if we get lost we can survive on this food for a month.’

He obviously doesn’t know me too well if he thinks I could make this delicious food last a whole month!

20101023IMG 8325 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

It was time to road trip and see some gorgeous Ontario Fall foliage along the way.

Finally, we arrived!

I had a plan. If I saw a Rattlesnake I was going to throw it a truffle and run like hell.

We searched for the perfect spot.

20101023IMG 8343 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The park was packed with hikers and it was not easy to find a picnic table complete with perfect photography lighting (I joke, I joke).

Finally, it was time to feast…something I had been dreaming about all week long.

20101023IMG 8228 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Our main dish consisted of Protein Power Vegan Chili packed with kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans, walnut burger crumbles, and chunky vegetables.

20101024IMG 8484 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

I had a giggle fit after seeing Eric eat his chili with my teeny tiny spoon! What a sport.

The chili was comforting, chunky, with a bit of a spicy kick.

20101021IMG 7772 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

And was perfect for a chilly Fall day outdoors.

20101023IMG 8246b thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance 20101023IMG 8239 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Alongside, Herbed Garlic Knots.

20101020IMG 7706 thumb1   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101020IMG 7711 thumb2   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101021IMG 7825 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The garlic knots were great on their own, but even better when dipped into the chili.

20101023IMG 8233 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

For a side, I made Stacked Caesar Salads with eggplant bacon and homemade croutons. I thought stacking the salad was fun for a packed meal.

20101024IMG 8441 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Yum!

20101024IMG 8443 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

To wet our whistle, we sipped Pumpkin Spice Lattes made on the stovetop with almond milk, spices, espresso, pumpkin, and vanilla extract.

20101023IMG 8295 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The lattes were comforting, warm, rich, and fragrant with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.

20101023IMG 8305 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

20101024IMG 8559 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

To say I was excited for dessert was a bit of an understatement…

20101022IMG 8174 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

I saw a picture of a Cake in a Jar online and I thought it was a fun idea that would pack well! I put a fun twist on them by making Cake In A Jar Parfaits.

The flavours:

• Butternut Squash Apple Streusel
  • Triple Layer Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake
  • Decadent S’more with homemade graham cracker crumble

20101022IMG 7850 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Damn. Good. Comfort. Food.

20101022IMG 8187 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

My favourite was the Butternut Squash Apple Streusel. The cakes were still warm from the oven and incredibly moist unlike any other ‘normal’ cake I have ever tried.

20101024IMG 8491 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Mmmmm.

After lunch, we were bursting with energy and ready to tackle the trails! We dropped off our cooler in the car and were on our way.

20101024IMG 8619 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

We brought along homemade Raspberry Vanilla & Pumpkin Apple Spice fruit leather.

20101022IMG 8052   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Can you guess what athlete’s superfood is hiding in them?

20101024IMG 8598 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Chia seeds!

Chia seeds are great for hydration and contain healthy fats, iron, calcium, protein, and antioxidants.

20101024IMG 8624 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

I also made a ‘box of truffles’-vegan energy truffles, that is- made from dates and nuts.

20101022IMG 8161 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The flavours:

• Chocolate Kissed Peanut Butter
  • Brownie Bliss
  • Pecan Pie Delight

I could not pick a favourite!

20101022IMG 8155 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101022IMG 81412 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

These would make fun and unique Thanksgiving or Christmas gifts, wouldn’t they?

My happy customer inhaled several. ;)

20101024IMG 8458 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

And finally, Spiced Apple Pie Chips

20101021IMG 7754 thumb1   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101021IMG 7763 thumb1   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Cinnamon is not only great for maintaining steady blood sugar levels, but it also contains Iron and Calcium.

20101021IMG 7770 thumb1   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101021IMG 7811 thumb1   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

20101022IMG 8200 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

All in all we hiked about 7 miles and had a grand old time, even despite the damp and cool weather!

20101023IMG 8358 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Thanks to the endurance lunch, Eric still had energy to carry me to the car!

20101024IMG 8579 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Life is good. ;)

This is my official entry for Project Food Blog Challenge #6. Voting begins at 9am EST on Monday October 25th. If you enjoyed this post I would greatly appreciate your votes in carrying me into the next round! Click here to vote . Thank you!

Charlotte October 24, 2010

Ah you are incredible! Thank you for putting your heart and soul into all this to deliver us magnificent posts, recipes, and pictures!

Melissa October 24, 2010

Angela, you’ve outdone yourself on this challenge! Decadent S’more with homemade graham cracker crumble Cake-in-a-jar?! Everything that you’ve made looks decadent and delicious to say the very least. It looks like you and Eric had a wonderful time on your scenic journey! You’ve undoubtedly got another one of my votes…

Courtney October 24, 2010

So impressive Angela! It all looks absolutely incredible.

Job well done!

Little Bookworm October 24, 2010

Angela this post is absolutely amazing! I am definitely going to be trying some of the recipes. Good luck for this round! :)

Sarah October 24, 2010

Wow Angela… I need to get the recipes for these asap! they look amazingly delicious!!

Chelsey (Cookteen) October 24, 2010

Looks like an AMAZING meal!! I love the post and hope you win! You never disappoint…
With love and cupcakes,
Cookteen

grocery goddess jen October 24, 2010

Awesome adventure, Angela! That chili looks soooo good, and so do the cakes in a jar and truffles!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 24, 2010

My jaw has dropped. So many amazing things happening in the post for me to comment on…so obviously you have my vote. And obviously, Eric is one very lucky husband :)

Dawn October 24, 2010

What a fun post! I loved it. So cute seeing your hubby with that tiny spoon, I had a little giggle at that too! Don’t you love Ontario in the fall, so pretty! I would love to try to make those truffles. They look very decadent!

Megan (Running Foodie) October 24, 2010

Seriously, Angela, you are unbelievable! I’ve seen a LOT of really great PFB entries, but none are ever as detailed and beautiful as yours! I really hope you win :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 24, 2010

Angela I loved this — so much better than just a handful of granola bars for a hike! I loved seeing Eric eat with the tiny spoon — how hilarious!!! He is such a good sport.

Well done on a fabulous post!

Jaya October 24, 2010

Contest aside, this is one of the best posts I have ever seen/read here. Gorgeous shots. The fruit leathers photo (aerial view) is absolutely outstanding. Most importantly, you enjoyed it all with the one you love! Thank you for sharing! Everything looks so outstanding!

Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels October 24, 2010

This looks like the perfect Sunday ever! And that food! To die!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance: Diary of a Dietetic Intern) October 24, 2010

You two are so cute together! Beautiful post — the photos had my mouth watering for sure! Thank you for sharing.

Kelsey H October 24, 2010

every single post i think “how can it get any better?” but they seriously keep getting better every week. you seriously outdid yourself…again! where can i find the recipes? maybe later this week;)

stacey-healthylife October 24, 2010

How fun, everything looks so delicious and creative. I love the mason jar cakes, great idea. I really hope you win the contest.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 24, 2010

oh my Angela – you are such a TALENTED lady! I love everything about this post – the food, the photos and the energy!!!

Caitlin (EatFeats) October 24, 2010

How sweet is your husband?! You two are such a cute couple!

And, of course, outstanding work. You are still my cooking hero!

bitt October 24, 2010

Great work! Cheering you on. I really really hope you win.

Bree October 24, 2010

Amazing post, Angela! I am drooling. Can’t wait to see the recipes for cake parfaits in a jar and I think I may make some of those truffles tonight and surprise my husband!

Michelle October 24, 2010

Angela, this is my favorite post you have ever written! The pictures are gorgeous, the food looks delicious, and your personality really comes through. Good work!!!

Maddie October 24, 2010

Angela, I love this post. You are amazing and have gone above and beyond for all of the challenges! All of the recipes look delicious and cake in a jar? YUM! You have my vote and I really hope you win project food blog! You deserve it :D

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 24, 2010

Great job my dear!!! I love the cakes in a jar… I’ll have to make those using my extra jars from Challenge 6 over here :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

haha I saw that you used Mason jars too….loved it. Aren’t they great?

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 24, 2010

YES! Awesome! And the best part: all the lids fit all the jars, and they work for drinks AND food :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

I’m pretty much in love with Mason jars.
Ive decided that I want my entire kitchen to be stocked with them in every cupboard holding everything from rice to chia seeds to dried beans and apple chips. ;)

Jill October 24, 2010

Angela,
I have been following your blog for a few months now, and I haven’t commented before…I have tried several of your recipes and I love them all!
You are unreal! This is amazing and you are incredibly talented!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Thanks for your nice comment!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) October 24, 2010

You did it again! All of these Foodbuzz Challenges posts are incredible, Angela! Well done. Love the pics (particularly the black and white, with the one parfait in color). Glad I could help provide a link for the fruit leather.

Did you like the raspberry-vanilla one??

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Yes they were yummy! Thank you again for the link :) I had been searching forever to find a recipe. I can’t wait to experiment with different fruit!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 24, 2010

Your creativity for all the challenges has been amazing!! I love this- especially the chocolates and the cakes in a jar!!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 24, 2010

Another great post…you are doing so well!

Ashley October 24, 2010

I’m floored. Honestly. This looks like it took a month to put together. I can’t get over it! The photos are completely incredible and the food just looks beyond outstanding. I’m at a loss for words…such an inspiration. xo

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 24, 2010

Amazing again! Voting tomorrow!

Marci October 24, 2010

Wow that is a beautiful picnic! So impressive! And those leaves are just gorgeous too!

Whitney October 24, 2010

Amazing. I can’t think of anything else to say. Everyone has stolen my comments! You should be so proud. Just to make a post like this… seriously unreal! Congrats :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Thanks for your comments and support! :)

Erin October 24, 2010

Holy Crap!!! that looks amazing!!! I must replicate this at once! I just need to find myself a companion to chow down the meal with Lol
How do you come up with these amazing ideas/recipes!? I’d love to know where you draw your inspiration from and how you know what amount of each ingredient to put into your baking items so they come out a success.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

lol…I guess and I have some flops to go with the guessing!

kelsey @ un-american in france October 24, 2010

I loved this post! It looks like a delicious lunch!! My mom was born in Ontario (Fort Eerie) and I’ve always wanted to visit. Seeing your photos definitely bumps it up on my list! I wish I had the time to cook as much as you do! Although, right now I’d just like to have a better equipped kitchen than my French apartment has to offer. Miam miam! (That’s yum yum in French!)

Jess October 24, 2010

Um wow—I loved everything about this! Can’t wait to try all the recipes : )

Ashley October 24, 2010

Wow! That is so awesome. How do you vote? I will confess I haven’t voted for anything yet. (thought you had to be a member of something) But I would like to vote for yours — so cool!

Caitlin October 24, 2010
Ashley October 24, 2010

Cool thanks! I’m on it!

kelli October 24, 2010

love this!! this post is amazing and looks like you put your heart and soul into it!!! The chili looks delicious and cute salads :) Love the cake in a jar idea. Also wow eric looks slimmer than ever and is glowing!! Did you hike with the bag of empty jars?!

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair October 24, 2010

Wow. That is all I have to say because I’m seriously floored by your cooking, photography and story-telling talents. You totally deserve to win this competition!

Caitlin October 24, 2010

Angela, I did not know you grew up in New Brunswick. I went on a cruise this summer and stopped in Saint John for a day and it was such a charming little town!
Also, that picture of Eric is just adorable. He seems like such a sport posing for your picture with that teeny tiny spoon!! hehe
Lastly, you are just so darn creative. :)

Lisa October 24, 2010

You are so incredible Angela. I am so jealous of you!!

Page 1 of 612345»...Last »