16 Reasons Why I Love My Body

Today is National Love Your Body Day and I thought it would be a great time to stop and reflect on just how awesome we are!

Here is my list:

1a. My smile and sense of humour because I am dorky, goofy, playful, and I love to joke around…

1b. Laughing til I cry because there are few moments in life when I am truly in the moment like that.

2. My body has no ‘imperfections’, just things that add character and make me unique. Freckles, marks, scars, stretch marks, cellulite, spots, wrinkles, etc. give us character and expression. I think one of the most beautiful things a person can have is laugh lines around their eyes!

3. My body never takes a day off, even when I do!

4. I have 206 beautiful bones and one heck of a sexy skeleton (trust me I’ve seen the X-rays. Meow.)

5. My small intestine is over 20 feet long and it still fits inside my body. Creepy, yet awesome.

6. I have a birth mark on the side of my stomach that is Eric’s favourite spot.

7. A number on the scale does not tell me how awesome my body is! The two aren’t even related.

8. I went from running for just a minute at a time and believing that I just wasn’t a ‘runner’ to running 13.1 miles at a time.

9. If I am injured or sick, my body works fast and furiously to heal itself and doesn’t stop until it is ok. When I am asleep it works the hardest!

10. I have super duper taste buds that give me a passion for food, eating, baking, cooking, etc.

11. My beautiful brain. The source of my passions, my emotions, my laughter, my pain, my creativity, my memories.

12. My body has a wicked ‘gut instinct’ and always whispers to me when it feels something isn’t right.

13. It helped me swim for 750 metres in the open water in just 12:54 minutes. It even kept going when my brain wanted to bail.

14. My body learned to trust me again, after over 10 years of disordered eating. My body allows me to eat normal amounts of food and maintain a healthy weight despite not counting calories, obsessing, or working out too much. It also forgives me when I have a bad day and fall back into old habits.

15. My eyes because they allow me to see beauty in everyday things and capture it with photography.

16. There is a ninja hiding inside of me and I believe I could kick some major butt if required. I also believe I may have had a black belt in a former life.

IMG 8746 thumb   16 Reasons Why I Love My Body

Ok…maybe a yellow belt… ;)

I posed the question on Twitter today asking you all to give me 1 reason why you LOVE your body! :)

Here are some of the replies:

• @katiehamilton, ‘Because it’s just like my dads….my hero.’
  • @ohhealthyday, ‘I love my body because no matter how badly I’ve treated it in the past, it has never let me down.’
  • @imadedinner, ‘I have a smile that makes my students feel at ease.’
  • @blackcatkitchen, ‘I love my body because it adapts to whatever I throw at it, whether it’s 10k training or a weekend food fest with family!’
  • @smittenkitten, ‘I love my body because I had a perfect pregnancy and gave birth to my beautiful, healthy daughter.’
  • @marsGiovani, ‘only got one body, and it functions well (healthy)’
  • @dianabydesign, ‘People pay tons of money to get natural curves like mine.’
  • @Kimberly_FeLix, ‘I love that my body has stood the test of my brutality.. & given me the baby I was told I wouldn’t be able to have.’
  • @Bethegoose, ‘I LOVE my body because it allows me to make everyday an adventure.’
  • @Clarqui, ‘because I can run and jump, spin and move, skip and dance!’
  • @Glorious_Greens, ‘I love my body, because after all the crap I put it through it is still strong & beautiful. It helped me complete 4 1/2 marathons.’
  • @KatieHeddleston, ‘I love my body because it continually surprises me with new capabilities!!’
  • @ThehealthyE, ‘I love my body, because it helped me run a marathon last year!’
  • @sweeton, ‘I love my body because it takes me all over the world to see and do amazing things!’
  • @demagenkigirl, ‘Strong swimmers shoulders! That’s why! Keep me going in the pool.’
  • @dancersteph25, ‘It’s strong and has gotten me through 3 half marathons in 2010 :)’
  • @alysamarsiella, ‘It does things I never in a million years dreamed it could do. And I LOVE my legs and arms. They’re pretty fantastic!’
  • @ItAllChanges, ‘I love my body because it is mine. I’m unique. ‘
  • @lifewithkick, ‘my body carried me through 32 hours on my feet at fsu’s dance marathon!’
  • @runsonsugar, ‘I love my body because it’s strong and forgiving of me while I learn to run.’
  • @jessicavogel, ‘I love my body because it’s strong, beautiful, and perfectly imperfect! ‘
  • @aprilisfabulous, ‘I love my body because it has birthed and nursed two little girls!’
  • @Ryeswmmr, ‘I love my body because it is strong and it gets me where I need to go.’
  • @chasingthenow, ‘I love my body because it makes it possible for me to live a full, healthy life!’
  • @Dana18_Brown, ‘I love body because I am in control of it. I choose what going into it and how I take care of it.’
  • @missfitbliss, ‘I love it because it’s one of the most loyal things I have in life. Takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’
  • @mariesha416, ‘I love my body because it’s MINE and no one else’s. There is not another body in this entire world like mine! :)’
  • @TaraRunning, ‘I love that my runner’s legs can make me run til’ the cows come home on any given day!’
  • @Michellesfood, ‘I love my fair skin! I never want to tan! Plus, I like my muscular legs. Hubs calls them shapely.’
  • @klvanhorn, ‘my strong muscular legs can run a sub-20 minute 5K and 2 marathon finishes.’
  • @Nikirunsinpink, ‘I love my body b/c it gave me my greatest gift: my now 2-month-old baby boy!!’
  • @TastyTherese, ‘I love my body b/c after 27 years of neglect, it continuously surprises me when I push it!’

I love the wide variety of replies that I received. :)

Tell me, why is your body awesome?

Steph@stephsbitebybite October 20, 2010

My body is awesome because it can run 13.1 mile in 1:59:01 without stopping!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 20, 2010

I love my body because it is strong and can get my through anything. I love how strong I feel when it comes to doing things that AREN’T working out.

This entire post just brightened my day. I love reading the positivity.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 20, 2010

You are certainly a beautiful person! I love that you say you have no imperfections. What a great approach to have because we are all made unique and that makes us wonderful. :)

Jill October 20, 2010

I love my body because it brought me to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro!

Kristina @ spabettie October 20, 2010

my body has flown off MANY ski jumps and FAST in ski races !! even WON a few. It has done “back scratchers” and “daffys” – and THOSE are fun!!

It has run across many tennis courts, and my arms have awesome definition to show it.

right now it is getting strong again, after injuries, and hopefully will let me feel that awesome runners high again…

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 20, 2010

What a wonderful list!!! I love my body because it has taken me through some of the most amazing – yet challenging – races and events!

Rosey Rebecca October 20, 2010

I love my body because it went through surgery on Monday, and I’m feeling strong today. :-)

Jenny October 20, 2010

I love this! I love my body because it is what I was blessed with. I have two working legs and arms, and I can move. Not everyone is blessed to move.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 20, 2010

This post makes me so happy!! I love mine because it has hugged, kissed, traveled, cycled, walked, run, swam, hiked, flown (on a plane.. haha!) and done many other things, and it makes me ME!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 20, 2010

My body is awesome because it is MINE!!!

It can do so much and it has stuck with me my whole life :)

melissa roby October 20, 2010

During pregnancy I fell in love with my body…..after giving birth….I fell even more in love with it…

Jenny October 20, 2010

I love my body because it made my two beautiful children possible!!!!

Natalia - a side of simple October 20, 2010

Great post!
I love my body because I am a child of God, made in His own image. :)

Amy October 20, 2010

Aweome, great post.
I love my body cause its strong, perfect in its own way, and one of a kind.

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing October 20, 2010

Ok, first of all, LOL at #4! hahahaha!

I love so much about my body… and I love that I can keep finding things to love about it! I am grateful!

claire October 20, 2010

love this! I love my body because it lets me work all day on my feet with lots of energy.

Mel October 20, 2010

A reason I love my body and a reason for everyone to love theirs; Your body holds your precious soul safely, it may take a bashing and abuse it may grow old, tired, ugly and often break but your spirit remains eterally young, beautiful and glorious. And when our bodies appear to flaw and fail, our spirit shines out and reveals the real beauty lurking within. Sowhen we look at ourselves or others at a body thats had a hard life, we can remember what it is fighting to protect. :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 20, 2010

“My body never takes a day off, even when I do”. I love this one! It’s amazing to think that our bodies are constantly working, always improving itself and keeping us alive. What a beautiful thought from a beautiful lady :)

Karen Beth October 20, 2010

I love my body because it held up through reconstructive back surgery at age 18 and open heart surgery at age 32. It could have easily given up either time but it didn’t.

Christan October 20, 2010

I love this post! Trust me i’ve seen the xrays.. meow.. LMAO

Julie Grice October 20, 2010

I used to dislike the fact that I couldn’t wear tall boots, and then I realized it is because of my calf muscles. Now, I love my muscular legs–they allowed me to bike over 200 miles in 6 days two weeks ago!

Hope October 20, 2010

This is awesome – your post made me smile :)
I love my body because it proves to me every single day, how amazing and unique it really is. I mistreated it, abused it and hated it in the past, and yet it bounced back strong and healthy.

Tiffany @ Eat, Run, Write, Love October 20, 2010

I love that my body is so forgiving, even when I treated it so bad for so long, I have achieved and now maintain a healthy weight. I also how amazing my body is for giving me two beautiful daughters and enabling me to run and do yoga. :)

Moni'sMeals October 20, 2010

Again, posts like this is why WE LOVE YA!

I work with a lot of different clients with all different body types. But what keeps me humble is when I work with clients with diabilities or muscle or bone imbalances or injuries were they are “limited” and it really makes you think how lucky we ALL are to just hop out of bed in the moring. I remind myself that every morning actually and it really has changed my life. ;)

I love my body because it never lets me down, I get back what I put in. I give thanks to it, It works, it is healthy, it is strong, and it loves me and I love it. :) If it talks back, I LISTEN!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf October 20, 2010

I love that you say you have no “imperfections.” I think so many people say that they love and appreciate their body the way it is, but in some way still calling it “imperfect” ( “beautifully imperfect” or “beautiful despite imperfection”) is still in some roundabout way admitting that you believe these differences are flaws. Thank you for the wonderful insight!

Freya October 20, 2010

Ok, I have to bookmark this post – your 16 reasons have just given me one giant big lift :) THANK YOU!

Kate@andwhenshesays October 20, 2010

*love* it!

I love my body because it still trusts me…even if I have given it reason not to. I love it because it’s giving me another chance to prove just how much I love and appreciate it.

Lisa October 20, 2010

I love my body because I can swim fast and for a long time! Having a healthy, muscular body does that!

brianna October 20, 2010

i love my body because it is healthy, forgiving, and dependable! i also love what you said about your eyes….i love that my eyes allow me to see, and also to change the way i see…..

Sassy Molassy October 20, 2010

Such a great post. I do love the fact that even when we are resting, our bods are work, work, working away. Thanks for the reminder.

I love that my body tells me what my brain always knows and ultimately tells me sometimes more about what’s happening metaphorically in my life than physically. Like when I’m running it ragged and stressing out about everything, my body starts aching or a sore throat shows up reminding me that I need to slow the heck down and relax once in a while.

Olya October 20, 2010

Thank you for the post, Angela! It just reminded me yet again why I should ignore naughty thoughts of dieting etc etc

I love my body because like a true friend it has stayed with me through good and bad (even when I was the one who was insulting my true friend).

I love my brain too because it proves me that with enough patient and perseverance I can understand things that sometimes seem to be out of the scope of my natural abilities.

Bridget October 20, 2010

I love these posts! So inspiring! Thank you for sharing it with us :)

I love my body because it knows what it wants and is able to communicate it with us in so many ways. When we listen to it , that is what makes us healthy, not ignoring it.

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 20, 2010

I love my body because it’s all mine and perfectly unique!

Shanna, Like Banana October 20, 2010

I love my body cuz it allows me to dress it up, especially with fab shoes!

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 20, 2010

i love my body because it’s the house of my beautiful soul :)

Lili October 20, 2010

This is amazing, Angela! We should all celebrate our ” uniqueness” -First time commenting here. Love your blog :)

Mrs. Muffins October 20, 2010

Honestly, I could come up with a lot of reasons why I don’t think my body is awesome but all it takes is one look at my daugter to remember the one reason all those others don’t matter.

My body is awesome because it went through 40 weeks of pregnancy, growing little fingers and toes inside my belly, gave birth just as nature intended and nursed my baby for seven months.

I’m in tears because it’s really hard to let go of the negativity sometimes. I’ve struggled with eating disorders since I was ten years old but being a positive role model for my daughter is so much more important than what size my jeans are. Happy Love Your Body Day!!! xx

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 20, 2010

I love my body because it’s the only one I get so I might as well not waste time wishing it was something else.

Krystina (Organically Me) October 20, 2010

I love my body because it can do anything. I lost 200lbs and my body transformation helped save my life.

AGS October 20, 2010

I love that my body, mind, and emotions are beautifully intertwined; and growth in one area, translates to growth in others. Each year, I feel/understand/learn/do things I didn’t the year before.

Page 1 of 3123»