The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

In Paris, there are lovers on every cobblestone corner, regal weddings parading about locking their love on a chain link fence, and old married couples closing up the shop after a long day of work, interlocking fingers as they walk home.

20100918IMG 7499 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

Love is in the air and cupid strikes when you least expect it to.

Even on a train…

20100921IMG 8332 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

in a cafe…

20100918IMG 7661 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

or on the street.

20100917IMG 7215 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

Cupid can also strike in many different forms.

20100919IMG 7859 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

Of the edible kind.

20100918IMG 7668 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

On our third morning in Paris, my mom, sister, and I were lingering over a delicious breakfast before heading out to explore.

20100920IMG 8071 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

My sister was downright giddy over how delicious her coffee was. We were running on negative 3 hours of sleep (yes you can have negative sleep!) and she was oddly chipper that morning. Surely it couldn’t have been from that 3 mile run before breakfast because I still thanked my lucky stars that I wasn’t going to be operating any heavy machinery anytime soon.

20100920IMG 8074 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

Kristi loved the coffee so much I thought we might just stay in the restaurant all day, watching her order pot after pot of delicious French coffee.

Quite frankly, it was amusing to watch.

With each cup, her eyes lit up a bit more, the conversation became a bit more vivid, and I almost started to forget that I was sleep deprived myself. And the smell of that coffee was downright intoxicating. Illegal in some countries perhaps.

She was jumping circles around me…

20100917IMG 7290 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

While I felt like I was hit by a truck.

20100917IMG 7301 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

‘Ange, you HAVE to try this coffee. It is the best coffee I have ever tasted.’

I was slightly intrigued, but also a bit uninterested at the same time.

I also had visions of nasty, bitter coffee that I tried a couple times in my life. I never tasted any coffee that made me think I was missing out on anything.

Hence, uninterested.

However, I knew it would make her day if I tried her beloved coffee.

‘Sure’, I said with a sly smile, ‘I will try it, but I’m warning you, I am not a Coffee Drinker…’

20100920IMG 8079 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

The coffee mug in front of me was full of piping hot coffee before I could even finish my sentence. She poured in some of my specially ordered soy milk and plunked a golden caramel cube of sugar into the mug, stirring it until just right. She had that look plastered all over her face like defeat was already hers.

I sniffed the air. It surely smelled delicious. Was it possible to get caffeine from the air? I chuckled to myself.

I took my first anxious sip, expecting my lips to quiver with repulsion, but instead I tasted creamy, comforting, and deeply rich coffee embracing each taste bud as it floated by.

There was a slight hint of caramel- a sweet note perhaps- that blended so well with the richness of the coffee I would have told you that someone sampled hundreds of coffee and sugar pairings to get it just right.

I mean, in France, this is someone’s job, right? Or better yet, an entire office building dedicated to workers sampling coffee and sugar pairings? I will pretend that it is just to humour myself.

As I sat there with my mom and sister, I took my first real sip of coffee. My insides tingled as the coffee traveled through my mouth and warmed my stomach like no other. It wasn’t coffee what I had tried years ago, it was an imposter, bitter sludge.

This, before me, was art.

20100921IMG 8304 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

I expected to look down at my coffee and see Van Gogh’s Starry Night swirling away or the Mona Lisa tipping her cup at me with a sly smile.

And this was the day I fell in love with coffee.

20100917IMG 7292 thumb   The Day I Fell In Love With Coffee

[See you for Part II: The French Press, on Tuesday.]

Kristina @ spabettie October 11, 2010

I LOVE that this post about coffee is this late in the evening !! :)

Katie October 11, 2010

Oh how I love coffee!! I posted on coffee just yesterday. Delicious loveliness.

Ella October 11, 2010

i’m glad you discovered a love for coffee! how exacatly does a french press work? we only have a little mini 2 cup coffee maker in my college kitchen.
i’ve been addicted since i was 16 lol -whoever said it stunts your growth was obviously a liar because i’ve grown an added 3 inches since then to reach 5’10..

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2010

I’ll prob show a french press how to on the blog :) VERY easy.

hippierunner October 11, 2010

You are an amazing writer! I wish I could taste the coffee you had for your first time! You make it sound sooo good!

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 11, 2010

i’ve always loved coffee, but tonight i think i fell in love with coffee again…i’ve heard French coffee is magnificent!

Ashley October 11, 2010

This is sooo well written…love the story!!!!!!!!

Beth October 11, 2010

Oh, I love coffee! I didn’t trust people in law school who didn’t drink it. I can’t wait to go to France one day and try the French roast! Look awesome!

Cristina October 11, 2010

Mmm this post makes me want to make a big pot of coffee while I study…but I will settle for some strong Chai tea (it looks the same) ;)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie@hotmail.com) October 11, 2010

Ahhhhhhh coffee, one of life’s simplest, yet greatest pleasures.

Happy Thanksgiving Angela!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) October 11, 2010

Hehe, I love this. I first fell in love with coffee a long time ago, believe it or not, I actually asked for a cappuccino machine for my birthday when I was three. That is not at all exaggerated or a joke! :)

Krystina October 11, 2010

I love coffee a little too much. I drink at least 2 cups a day!

claire October 11, 2010

I love french press coffee..so happy you fell in love too.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA October 11, 2010

That is exactly how I feel about coffee. I love it and it really makes me happy.

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 11, 2010

I wish I felt this way about coffee. It just makes my insides turn topsy-turvy.

Moni'sMeals October 11, 2010

I am happy you have joined the club! Coffee is a must for me. hehe :)

Allison October 11, 2010

OH mannnnn, be still my heart!

On my tombstone, I want it to read, “She was a girl who loved her coffee.”

Niki October 11, 2010

What a cute story! Such a fun way to change up and give a variety to posts. I was looking through your pictures and noticed a couple looked really similar to the ones I took while in Paris. I guess you are sure to find locks and men playing music all around the city. http://muddyfootsteps.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/paris-france/ . That’s the link to the post of my related pictures. Fun post of yours to read. Thanks

steph October 11, 2010

i absolutely love love love that picture of you jumping on the bed

Lana October 12, 2010

I can’t wait to hear more! I got hooked on coffee this past summer because everyone at work drank it. I ran out last week and completely forgot to get some at the store this weekend. Its become a morning ritual to have 1 cup and I was so sad this morning when I opened up an empty coffee can. Chia tea came to the rescue though :)

Hope October 12, 2010

Gorgeous story about the start of a love affair!
I too was once put off by horrid brown bitter sludge…but once I found the right kind of coffee, well, you better not get in my way in the mornings lol :)

Kelli October 12, 2010

Even though it’s now 11pm, I’m ready for it to be morning again so I can have that wonderful first cup of coffee ! How does the coffee that you’ve made since being home compare – have you been able to replicate that wonderful flavor? If you have, please pass on the info… even my french press coffee isn’t as great as I imagine it could be !

Freya October 12, 2010

I’ve been a lifelong coffee hater – til about a month ago, when I had a soya cappuccino at a Starbucks – now I’m addicted! But ONLY to soya cappuccinos from Starbucks – i can’t deal with the regular stuff :P

Cara October 12, 2010

A good cup of coffee can do a lot of good!

Wei-Wei October 12, 2010

I love coffee. The aroma is just amazing. And I don’t seem to have caffeine reliance… ;)

Christine October 12, 2010

That was beautiful! So poetic. It’s time for my cup today!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 12, 2010

I wish I loved coffee. I’ve always wanted to like it!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 12, 2010

Very cute! I hope your french press didn’t make sludgy coffee! It’s been known to happen in my world…

Jen October 12, 2010

Those pics of you and your sis are too cute!

alexe @ soyaetchocolat.com October 12, 2010

I experienced the exact same thing with my first cappuccino in Italy! Lol, so funny! I’m hooked now! Unfortunately, it is not the same with soy milk, I’m afraid…

lindsay (goodiesgalore) October 12, 2010

well it’s about damn time sister!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) October 12, 2010

I’m a coffe lover too! The only thing that worries me are those rumours about caffeine stunting your growth, luckily I’ve grown to be 5’9 anyway! Maybe I’m supposed to be taller…?
Haha, anyway, I like mine with soy milk too. I actually can’t stand coffee with cream. You should try coffee with flavoured soy milks, vanilla is really good!

Jes (@ Self Motivation) October 12, 2010

Coffee sounds divine right now! Wonderful post!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 12, 2010

I LOVE coffee…and the coffee in France is SO good– deep, dark, and strong!!!! I’ve never had coffee as good in America, sadly.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 12, 2010

I can’t wait to hear more about the French Press — I love GOOD coffee, but most of the stuff I make at home just isn’t very good! Maybe I need a FP :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 12, 2010

hehehe i’ve said it before, but i love those photos of you guys jumping on the beds!! i wasn’t a coffee drinker until summer of last year, but i love the stuff now! :D

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 12, 2010

Coffee’s an acquired taste, that’s for sure. I used to think I hated it because the only kind I tried was Starbucks. Then I realized I just hated Starbucks’ coffee. Their lattes are fine, but coffee? Ick. When I tasted my first cup from somewhere else it was like a revelation.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 12, 2010

I’m not much of a coffee drinker either, but I’ve never had it in France, despite all my trips there! Sounds like I need to add it to my to-do list for next time I’m there. I love how creatively you wrote this!

Abby October 12, 2010

This was cruel, Ang!! Totally cruel! FOR YEARS, I’ve had a cup of coffee every single morning… I loved it. But this summer it started making me sick.. like “Oh my gosh I need to throw up” kind of sick, and I knew that I HAD to stop drinking it. This post makes me HURT for coffee. But I’m glad that you’re enjoying it even if I can’t!

jenna October 12, 2010

this was such a fun post! :) i love coffee too!! amazing and life changing! hahahaha.

Jamie @ Food in Real Life October 12, 2010

As a coffee pusher myself, this makes me very very happy! I’m completely obsessed with coffee (good coffee) and it’s hard for me to understand people that don’t like it! :)

Page 1 of 212»