7 Universal Truths

Good morning!

It’s still raining. And dark. Yuk!

Shortly after my Fluffy White Clouds post last week, I received a wonderful email from a friend who is currently in yoga teacher training. She told me that I might enjoy the 7 axioms/Universal Truths that they were taught in her yoga class.

I loved them so much, I thought I would pass them on to you! I have printed the list and will be placing it on my vision board because I find it so inspirational.

Zuda Yoga Teacher Training – 7 axioms/Universal Truths

1. You are exactly where you are supposed to be
2. Fear and pain are life’s greatest teachers
3. Laughter and play are the keys to the fountain of youth
4. Exercise and rest are the keys to vibrant health
5. Touch and intimacy are basic human needs
6. Everything is impermanent
7. Everything is connected

I love the first one especially- ‘You are exactly where you are supposed to be’.

I think that we can often get caught up in where we think we should be or where we want to be, but to realize that we are exactly where we should be at this very moment in time is very powerful.

To accept where we are at this moment helps remove the guilt that so many of us face every single day. To appreciate the times when we are struggling or having a bad day and to realize that even the moments that seem difficult, upsetting, flawed, or discouraging all have their particular place.

How many times have you been down on yourself because you felt like you should or shouldn’t have done something?

Or that you let someone down?

Or that you ate too much?

Or that you should have found a job by now?

Or that you should have had a baby by the time you hit 30?

Or that you shouldn’t have said something or you should have stood up to someone?

We all have regrets and we all have guilt, but often it helps to take a step back and to release some of the guilt that we all have over our heads.

We all make mistakes. We all have things we struggle with in life. But to realize that where we are right now is where we are supposed to be can be very freeing.

It does not mean that we have to stay in a negative situation; it simply means that everything has a learning purpose in our lives.

I always say that if I didn’t struggle so much with making the wrong career choice,  I would never be where I am today. Sometimes we must go through hard times to really push ourselves and grow!

Lately I have been struggling with motivation. Instead of feeling worse about it, I think it might help to accept it for what it is and then think of ways that might help how I am feeling. I am considering joining a local community gym for a few months to add some new challenges to my routine. I used to LOVE doing body pump and spinning classes in university and I think I might love to add classes back into my life. I am definitely going to look into my options and what is out there for me during the colder months. I am also thinking about signing up for a Fall race since I currently don’t have anything on the horizon.

These 7 Universal Truths help me understand that every day has a place and purpose….even the bad ones.

With this in mind, my pancake fail this morning wasn’t so bad. ;)

20101006-IMG_9092

LOL…this my friends is what we call #pancakefail.

Why is writing #pancakefail so much fun?

I shall return with endorphins in my blood and a recipe success. :)

1 Jessica @ How Sweet October 6, 2010

I love the first one too. I need to write that down and look at it all day today!

2 Freya October 6, 2010

Ditto with you and Jessica – the 1st one is so good to hear!
LOL at the pancakes! What on earth went in those ones!?

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

hahah don’t ask!!!

Coconut flour and molasses. Again, don’t ask. ;)

4 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 6, 2010

This is a great way to start my day. Wherever we are is exactly where we’re meant to be, so it’s best to try to enjoy it, no matter how difficult times may be. Hope you have a wonderful day!

5 Bree October 6, 2010

I just saw the facebook question “what do you think about blogs?” and someone answered:

“People write blogs for one of two reasons: 1) they’re confused 2) they’re passionate”

Haha…and I thought of you. :-D

6 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 6, 2010

I LOVE that first one! I spend SO much time thinking about where I want to be in five years, ten years, etc. I need to focus more on where I am right now, and what I can do while I’m here.

It’s rainy and gross here too :-(

7 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies October 6, 2010

Love those – esp. the first one!!

8 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 6, 2010

“Fear and pain are life’s greatest teachers.” Isn’t that the truth. However, at this point in my sickness, I’d like to skip ahead and learn it from a book, thankyouverymuch. :)

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

((hugs))

10 Dani @ Body By Nature October 6, 2010

Love this list! I’ve printed it off and stuck it to my wall :) So inspiring!!

11 Allison @ Food For Healing October 6, 2010

a race would definitely be good!

poor #pancakefail lol

12 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin October 6, 2010

Wow I love this! Thank you for sharing!

13 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 6, 2010

I’m not usually one for motivational quotes or self-help kind of novels, but these 7 Universal Truths are beautiful. I agree. The first one is the best. It’s just so comforting to think, “I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be.”

14 Emmanuelle October 6, 2010

The first one is exactly what my teacher in yoga teacher training told us too when we started the first weekend. It’s also the first thing she told us. “Some of you might still wonder what they are doing here, of maybe have doubts. Don’t. If you are here today, it’s because you are exactly where you should be”.
It applies to all kinds of circumstances, although sometimes it’s hard to distinguish ;-)

15 Amanda October 6, 2010

Ohhh I’ve seen that sight one too many times before. Blame it on the pan :-P

16 Andrea October 6, 2010

The first one reminds me of my favorite quote, told to me by my mother when I was really struggling: “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are” (Theodore Roosevelt). I loved this post, so very true. Thanks!

17 Lainie October 6, 2010

Hi! I am always reading your blog (almost every day) but today is the first time I am commenting. This post absolutely spoke to me and motivated me. As I read each one of those six points I agreed whole-heartedly with all of them. This was a really great and inspirational things to share with your viewers. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning and giving me a little extra courage/boost throughout my day! :)

18 Krystina October 6, 2010

I love number 4. I think so many people are afraid to rest and enjoy time just being peaceful and relaxed. We always want to either be exercising or doing something productive. Sometimes simply doing nothing is exactly what we need.

19 Heather Dawn October 6, 2010

Love these. I went through yoga teacher training over the summer and it was one of the best things I have ever done! I love the first one and constantly remind myself of this. There are good days and there are bad days. Reminds me that everything happens for a reason, but its all good!
Haha, and sometimes we need those #pancakefails :) You are right, it is fun to write and say!

20 Tonyne @ Unlikely Success Story October 6, 2010

This may have just inspired me to write a blog post I have been putting off. Thank you for posting this, it helps put somethings into perspective for me.

21 Cate October 6, 2010

I love these Universal Truths- thanks for sharing! :) I am going to write them down.

22 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 6, 2010

I love these – and definitely need to post them somewhere. The first is my favourite – for all of the reasons you listed above. I find I’m always trying to get ahead of myself and prepare as much as I can for things coming up, (in fact, for the past 2 weeks, I’ve been mentally a day ahead of myself, and I woke up on Friday thinking it was the weekend. How disappointing!!) but the first truth is a good reminder to stay in the present.
Have a fab day!

23 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 6, 2010

Angela as much as I love your recipes, I found it very comforting to see you have a cooking fail — that I’m not the only one who has food turn out that terribly!

I love the 7 truths: yes, I am who I am supposed to be. I believe that God doesn’t make mistakes and I am who I am for a reason and I need to embrace that!

24 JenATX October 6, 2010

thanks for the motivation! I am trying to not be annoyed with myself for sleeping through my alarm clock and missing that extra hour to read for class :-/ This helps put it into perspective

25 Amanda Davis October 6, 2010

I can’t tell you how much I needed to hear this right now. Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and support!

26 Erin October 6, 2010

Ang – sign up for the Fat Ass Trail Run in Batawa! It’s not far from Pic-towne ;) and it would be great to see you! check out http://www.triandrunsports.com for race details. They have several distances, and it’s a trail run so it’s a nice change of pace. Beware the mud though! There is actually a prize for the person who gets the muddiest :P

27 Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul October 6, 2010

Absolutely love these “truths” and will definitely be sharing them. I also particularly love “everything is impermanent.” All joy and pain will end – so it’s vital to stay centered in the present and experience those emotions now. Thanks for sharing!

28 Courtney October 6, 2010

your post really struck a chord with me, particularly the question “Or that you should have a job by now?” As a recent college grad, and one who never had much experience in rejection/failure academically, it has been a great big slice of humble pie not to find employment right away. But, as number one says, “You are exactly where you are supposed to be.” I found your blog shortly after graduating and it has really provided me with the inspiration and support to start taking better care of my health in a way I couldn’t while I was so busy focusing on school. So maybe this time is what I needed to make some important changes in my personal life before I can go out and lead a successful professional one. Thank you for some really timely advice!

29 rachael October 6, 2010

I totally agree with you about that first truth. I always tell my yoga class, your are exactly where you’re supposed to be, even if it’s not what you may have planned.

30 Lisa October 6, 2010

That first universal truth, always gives me comfort. I think about that all the time, especially when I’m down. It makes me feel better knowing that if I made a mistake or have gone through a hard time, that was supposed to happen for some reason!

31 Tara October 6, 2010

Great Post!!!! I wake up and read your new posts daily with my morning tea/breakfast and they always give me a positive outlook on the day to come (and ideas for supper that coming night!).

Love the 7 universal truths.

I get the winter time blues with working out sometimes too. It is hard to get out there when it’s cold and wet/snowy. What I’ve done in the past is signed up for several “Hypothermic Half Marathons” that take place in February (through the Running Room. There’s probably one happening in Toronto). That really gets me out running all winter and I’ve come to love running in the snow, surprisingly! It’s very refreshing and it feels great once you get warmed up. I actually have come to prefer it over summertime running.

This winter I’ve decided I need a different challenge than running. I’m training for my 6th half marathon now and I am in need of a change. I am going to tackle the p90x program. It sounds tough but I love a challenge! I’d rather pay for that then pay for a gym membership and I get to do it in the comfort of my own home… where it’s toasty and WARM. Knowing I have a set schedule for 3 months and a book telling me what to do is what I love (which is why I keep signing up to do more halfs – I love the training). Maybe you could find a program like this that would keep you close to home but give you something different to do. It would be a great way to document a new exercise challenge for yourself on the blog too.

Have a wonderful day!

32 Wei-Wei October 6, 2010

I’m guessing… a Twitter epiphany about pancake fails and a workout? :D I just love this post. I think what sets you apart from most other bloggers in the “healthy living” genre is your beautiful writing and spirit – it just shines through in everything you post! I love your blog :)

33 Ally October 6, 2010

I’m normally too cynical for this kind of stuff, but I needed this today. I may even print them out and leave them on my desk at work as a reminder. Thanks for this!

34 Therese October 6, 2010

Over the last several years I’ve become a huge believer in that first Universal Truth. We are all the culmination of the choices we’ve made that have led to us being right here, right now, me typing this message to you. In that instance, recognizing that, I feel SO connected to people.

If I didn’t experience what I did while being overweight, I never would have realized what it is I want to do (help others uncover their own potential) and who knows if I’d still be connected to the people that I am. There is no wrong decision, only situations in which to learn from.

35 Jenny Lynn October 6, 2010

Dearest Angela ~ I’ve been a longtime reader and know you are truly inspirational, not only to others, but to yourself. You should be so, so proud!

When I saw this post with the 7 Axioms, I new I had to comment on what I’ve been thinking for awhile now. Have you ever read Eckhart Tolle? I highly recommend you pick up “A New Earth,” as I feel it would be very moving and transformational for you. “Stillness Speaks” is also wonderful. They essentially expand on the truth that you are exactly where you are supposed to be. In every moment. Appreciating the beauty of the now.

Without going into much detail, I too have struggled much throughout my life with weight issues, depression, anxiety, etc. After many years of self-discovery, meditation, exercise, clean eating, and facing both fear and pain head-on, I feel reborn. And the world is so very beautiful.

It’s both exciting and endearing to follow along with you on your journey. As I continue on mine, and you yours ~

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

Thank you so much. :)

37 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious October 6, 2010

I found “A New Earth” excellent, as well as “The Four Agreements”…both life changers for me. they get you digging deeper into your self and helped me understand what was robbing me of joy and needless worrying, suffering.

38 Cara craves... October 6, 2010

You said it perfectly.
Often times I lose sight of the fact that I need to live in the present and be thankful for the things I have NOW; too often I set my sights on things to come and and think I am missing out on the present. Live in the moment and be thankful for all the small things in life!

39 Shanna, Like Banana October 6, 2010

It’s like you read my mind…I needed those today. I’ve been having a lot of self-judgment on where I’m supposed to, what to do, what (not) to eat, etc. Thank you for this =)

40 Chelsea at Striking Balance October 6, 2010

Oh my gosh, I love those 7 truths. I especially love the first one, as well as the one that says “everything is impermanent”. It is so hard to remind yourself that the position you are in right now won’t last forever. Whether it is good or bad, eventually it could (and probably will) change.

41 Violetta Maria Dima October 6, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 7 truths, I must say every morning when I wake up my first stop is water and my second stop is your web site. Each and every day you fill me with me inspiration and you encourage me to really go for what I want in life. For that I am forever thankful. I curently work in a super corporate job which although pays well is such a drag. I am excited and proud to say that this winter I am going to be training to become a yoga instructor. Im really excited becasue I always wanted to do this I just was always scared to take the risk. Thanks girl friend you have made a huge difference in my life :-)

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

Congrats! That is so inspiring. Thanks for your uplifting comment. :)

43 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 6, 2010

I agree – the first one is super powerful. Just after reading it, I felt like I had a mini epiphany. See – I live so far away from home and each day, I just say to myself, “things will get better when I move back East”. But maybe this is right – maybe I AM where I’m supposed to be for a reason and I should trust that.

I go through workout routines where I am in love with the gym and where I’m not. I think I’ve joined and quit at least 4 in the past few years! Hope it helps with your motivation!

44 Bri October 6, 2010

Angela,
I am so glad you wrote this today because it is so close to my heart. I had a huge meltdown last night and thank god my wonderful boyfriend was there to hold me in his arms and calm me down. I am only 21 years old and feel like im having an early life crisis! HA! Pathetic right? I just feel so stuck at my job and i hate going into work every morning. I am a teller at a credit union and i absolutely don’t like one thing about it. Sitting behind a thick glass talking to people who smell even through the glass is not my thing. I am so passionate about HEALTH, FITNESS, NUTRITION and researching everything about the subject and i cant find motivation to get myself toward the right path because i just feel STUCK. I don’t even know how to explain it but i just feel like life is passing me by so quickly and i am in such a hurry to figure out my career and what really makes me happy that i forget to enjoy the present moment and embrace my times struggling. Your story of how you changed your life around has touched my heart and i cant wait to feel like good and be in the same situation and say goodbye to my current job and hello to something wonderful. I read your blog every single day religiously. I may be a shy reader and not talk much but everyday i learn something new from you and am so happy that i came across your website. Your even bookmarked on my apple computer as part of my daily morning routine of my interernt search while drinking my yerba mate haha!! well have a nice day and thanks again for the great post today.

45 jenna October 6, 2010

this was such a great thing post to start the morning! thanks for sharing.

46 Leanne @ Simplicitlee October 6, 2010

Thank you for relaying this positive message to your readers.

“You are exactly where you are supposed to be” hit me like a ton of bricks.

47 Valerie October 6, 2010

I know I struggle with those universal truths constantly! It’s hard to accept where you are in the present, especially when you feel that you should be farther along on your journey. I totally can relate on the lack of motivation as of late; normally I’m totally driven and goal oriented, but that’s sort of fallen to the wayside over the last month or so. I need to find something to get me motivated again. I hope your gym classes help!

48 hippierunner October 6, 2010

Thanks for this! Sometimes we just need to hear that it’s alright.

49 Camille October 6, 2010

Haha, I bet it was still delicious!

50 Michelle @ IronDivas October 6, 2010

I love Everything is connected… I think that goes right along with the first one, you are exactly where you are supposed to be. Every event in your life has been connected up until this point at this very moment. I believe that you will never be granted more until you can learn to be grateful and accept what you have now.

51 Heather (Heather's Dish) October 6, 2010

i really like and dislike the first one…i love knowing that there’s a reason as to why i am where i am right now, but what if i don’t LIKE where i am right now? that’s kind of hard to swallow…unless the reason i am here right now is to drive me crazy enough to take a massive leap of faith :)

52 Sarah for Real October 6, 2010

ACK! Stop the presses! Are you using a metal spatula in a non-stick skillet???

You’ll ruin your pan and scrape up carcinogenic bits of tephlon into your food. Gasp! I shudder.

On a more positive note, I do love that first saying myself as well. It’s very calming. I might put that note up in my house!

53 GFree_Miel October 6, 2010

I love all of these universal truths but that first one is really a good one. I’ve always been unsure of where I’m supposed to be. What friends should I keep and which people should I stay away from? The past couple years have been extremely eye opening though and I feel now more than ever that I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be. It’s just taken me a while to get there. And after I graduate I’ll go through the same process again. But keeping that in mind is really helpful.

54 Paige @ Running Around Normal October 6, 2010

Ooh, thansk for posting these! Copying and pasting them somewhere I can see them often. Love it:)
Hope you find your way out of the rut soon! A community gym sounds like a great idea!

55 Emily @ SunnyBeans October 6, 2010

This is my first time commenting, although I’ve been reading your blog for awhile now. The 7 Universal Truths are so inspirational. While I love love love all of them, my favorite is probably number four. When I went through my weight loss journey a couple of years ago, I woke up and realized that I had to take care of my body first. And taking care of my body meant that it needed exercise and it needed sleep. Making sure that I had some exercise and plenty of sleep everyday made me so happy with my life and I was able to really turn my life around. I learned how to make myself happy for me, just by making sure I moved a little bit each day, and had plenty of sleep at night.

I think I’m going to write these down and make a cute poster or something out of them. They are so inspirational, and I want to be reminded of them everyday!

56 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 6, 2010

Love those seven universal truths! I had heard them somewhere else (a speech actually) and they really hit home for me. My favorite is everything is connected. Wonderful post!

57 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. October 6, 2010

This is EXACTLY what I needed this morning…thanks! :)

58 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 6, 2010

I need to keep #1 in mind the most. I sometimes get so caught up in wanting to work toward future goals and dreams that I forget to live in the moment and make the most of each day. Because that is what will ultimately get you to a fulfilling end.

59 Charlie October 6, 2010

I love those universal truths! I have to find some place to put them… I’m having a rough week and reading this made me feel better!

60 Kathryn October 6, 2010

My favorite today, because they change every day, is everything is impermanent. I usually come to that one when I’m holding chair pose in class.

xoxo
Kathryn

61 Mel October 6, 2010

I also love the first one…I’d like to add: You are exactly WHO you are supposed to be, perfect as you are, not broken. It helps dealing with feelings of constantly wanting to fix oneself. Can you tell I’m reading Women, food and God? :) Anyway, these are themes I am pondering on for myself…have a good one!

62 larinna @ iheartspandex.com October 6, 2010

Angela,
These 7 truths were a great read! Everyone morning when I get to work, I always read your blog within the first 5 mins!! It always seems to get my day going on the right foot and reminds that one day I’ll be doing what I love too! Thanks for the daily inspiration!

63 Alexa @The Girl In Chucks October 6, 2010

I’m glad someone knew where I was supposed to be. I’m always confused on the point.

I love you for your #pancakefail.

If I counted all of the times I #pancakefailed, I would need to remove my shoes.

Well, at least one of them.

64 Stacy R. October 6, 2010

I LOVE the 7 universal truths and find myself referring to them when I’m having a rough day.

Really random question, but does your friend live in Sacramento? A close friend of mine is doing the Zuda teacher training in Sacramento and I practice there from time to time (that could make for a really small world) but didn’t realize it might be in other places as well.

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

I think so!

66 Kathryn October 6, 2010

I do!

67 Stacy R. October 6, 2010

Wow, such a small world! I’m friends with Candace!!

68 Kathryn October 6, 2010

Everything is connected! Just sayin’!

69 CathyK October 6, 2010

This post is like reading a daily meditation, angela – that’s how meaningful it is. and the seven truths really make me miss practising yoga! i, too, am going to print them out. i think they’d make a great centrepiece on a visualization board.
i, too, started off in the WRONG CAREER for me (french teacher, grades 9-11) but boy, i learned so much from my schooling and teaching. these siutations just make you a stronger person, and we acquire empathy, too.
go join the gym! i think you’d have fun over the winter!

70 Bridget October 6, 2010

I know that feeling – I’ve had many pancake fails in my day haha! Especially with coconut flour. Sigh…

71 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious October 6, 2010

i have never heard the 7 truths…i love them, so true and what fantastic “life” reminders…i will definitely be hanging that in my home. thanks for sharing.

72 Amber K October 6, 2010

Aww sad pancake! Thanks for sharing those universal truths. I feel like I need to tattoo that first one on me!

73 Felicia October 6, 2010

I had a serious pancake fail this morning too! i haven’t posted about it yet, but it actually turned out be a success by becoming “pumpkin mousse”. strange, but veryyy delicious :)

74 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 6, 2010

I have definitely had baking fails in my day – a pancake fail to be exact!

75 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com October 6, 2010

I MADE YOUR PUMPKIN GINGERBREAD WITH SPICED BUTTERCREAM FROSTING!!!!!
check it out here http://www.snackingsquirrel.com/2010/10/vegan-pumpkin-gingerbread.html

OMG- LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!

76 Jen October 6, 2010

Thank you again for a great post! I myself have been struggling with fertility issues, including a recent miscarraige, while friends are getting pregnant and having babies. Just turing 30, I have put myself on a timeline that I should have a baby by now…and reading this today made me realize that maybe now is not that time…yet.

Jen

77 Cath October 6, 2010

This is exactly what I needed to hear today. It’s as if you read my mind! I’m feeling frustrated today about “where I am” and this helps immensely. I’ve been reading your blog frequently in the last month or so, and I just wanted to tell you I love it. You have a great attitude, and aren’t afraid to reveal slip-ups, like the pancakefail or the stumble outside (hope you are ok!), while still maintaining positivity. THANK YOU!

78 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life October 6, 2010

Thank you, I love this! I carry so much guilt around and it is something I struggle with every day. When I think about how much time I feel bad for not doing what I ‘should’ do or for choosing to do something I enjoy, I start to feel even more guilty! Taking each moment for what it is would be very helpful. Thanks for giving me something to think about!

79 Lauren M. October 6, 2010

This really moved me. Thanks so much for sharing.

I would like to add one more universal truth
8. The Gingerbread Soft Serve really does taste just like a gingerbread cookie.

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

hahaha I concur!!!

81 Jennifer October 6, 2010

I love this quote, it really motivates me – hopefully will do the same for you:
“Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a lion or gazelle – when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.” – Anonymous

82 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 6, 2010

After teaching yoga for 10 years, I love the truths she/you posted! And I would add, to live in the now; to let go of the past and not worry about the future. Do the now. Live the now. And not worry about the rest.

I think it’s great you’re going to join a gym possibly. Keeping things FRESH is the name of the game. Our bodies and lives are always in flux, nothing is ever the same so what worked last month may not work NOW. Our job is to find what’s gonna work today, now, and sounds like you’re right on track.

Pancake fail…I love that you posted it…we dont all whip up vegan thanksgiving parties and make it look soooooo easy and fabulous as you did. Even you had a ‘cake fail. I admit to tons of fails!!

haha!

83 Moni's Meals October 6, 2010

I love the 7 Universal Truths. Thanks for the great reminder and yes, that first one it the golden one! :)

84 Laurab @ foodsnobstl October 6, 2010

Thanks for sharing your cooking fails. Sometimes I think I am ther only one still burning muffins or unable to flip pancakes.

85 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 6, 2010

We learned another one in karate yesterday. It’s kind of related to the “fear and pain are the greatest teachers”..but so is anger. Whenever you get angry at someone/something..you learn what your limits are. So sensei said whenever you get angry, you should thank the person for teaching you a lesson. :P

86 melissa October 6, 2010

#1 is huge for me too!!! I feel I’m always so worried about getting to the finish line that I don’t enjoy the journey…This is going to be printed out and put everywhere:)
thank you for sharing!!

87 Anne October 6, 2010

Your posts always make me stop and think about the big picture. I am completely guilty of getting so caught up in the past or what the future will bring that I forget to embrace the present. So, thank you, Angela. I hope you have a wonderful day!

88 Miranda October 6, 2010

Ok so I confess I am a complete lurker!! I read your site everyday but this is my first time commenting :) I loved this mornings post. We are having some financial troubles right now and i know it will work out (its always does) and the first truth hit me hard!! We really are EXACTLY where we are suppose to be RIGHT now!! Thank you for posting this!! Instead of focusing on what we don’t have ($$) I am going to focus on what we DO have and what is positive in our lives!! We struggled to get pregnant for 4 long years and we are 17 weeks this Friday!!! In the grand scheme of things THIS is what counts not that we are having to tighten up the purse strings for a few months. Thanks again Angela!!!

89 Kathryn October 6, 2010

remember everything is impermanent too!!!

90 Nichole @ Flirting w/ Food Fitness & Fashion October 6, 2010

Love those 7 axioms/Universal Truths- something I have to remember is #1 as well – a good phrase to remember that is for sure.

I really like your idea of a vision board. I think I need to do something similiar to that!

91 Jenny October 6, 2010

I love that. I agree completely, be content with where you are because it serves a purpose to where you’ll be. : )

92 thefruitpersuit (Sabine) October 6, 2010

Hahaha oh my… and I thought I was bad at making (normal) pancakes! My friend was surprised that all my pancakes always get ruined and yet I spend so much time in the kitch baking and cooking :p.

ps I retract my earlier statement; I do not like the ‘possibly related topics’. Keeps me reading for hours…

93 bonnie October 6, 2010

wow i love those truths! especially the first one! i often look to people i admire for guidance and inspiration and get frustrated when i can’t reach the peak of where i want to be. but i have to realize, that even my mentors put in their time. success and goals don’t happen overnight. but i think when i make a goal, i automatically believe i should accomplish it as soon as possible or its a failed dream.
thanks for posting!! so powerful to remember these ideas!

94 jaime October 6, 2010

I just love your blog! You really help me glow with your words of encouragement! Thanks.

95 Emily October 6, 2010

Loved this post and list!! My favorite (and they all are pretty close) for today was Exercise and rest are the keys to vibrant health. It put me in such a great mindset for my yoga class today (first in weeks!!). I think that we do need both exercise and rest in our lives to be vibrant, balanced, and healthy :) Thanks Angela!

96 TheHealthyApron October 6, 2010

This is the exact post I needed to hear today. Thank you so much for such positive messages! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I DO have to remember that I need to relish in each and every day, good or bad, and realize that every day is there for a reason. :) Live and learn!…and then get Luvs (hahaha remember that commercial?)

97 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA October 6, 2010

I love it when you share pictures of your failed recipes! It definitely makes me feel better hahah

98 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 6, 2010

SO powerful! This post just made me feel better about being extra hungry/snacky this week (did I need the pretzels I just stole from the office jar?? ;)

99 Natalia - a side of simple October 6, 2010

What a great list! I find it very comforting and inspiring. Thank you!

100 Tiffany @ Eat, Run, Write, Love October 6, 2010

I love this! Just what I needed to hear! I have been feeling sick and haven’t been able to exercise, then I get really down on myself. I forget that our bodies also need rest. That is what I am going to do today. Thanks for this post.

101 stacey-healthylife October 6, 2010

I agree that you may just need a little change and a little challenge. The motivation will come back. Fitness is a part of your life, so it’s okay if you take sometime off. Since you will be exercising for the rest of your life, I think you deserve it.

102 Claire @ Low Impact Fashionista October 6, 2010

Hahah I love how you always keep it real and post your little failures along with your HUGE successes (still not over how amazing your vegan thanksgiving looked!)

103 betsy October 6, 2010

Thanks for sharing those Angela. I really needed to read those today. I think I will print them and put them on our fridge. Those are for moments we we need a little ” lifting up”.
Have a great evening :)

104 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 6, 2010

“You are exactly where you are supposed to be ” >>>> Oh my! My yoga teacher read this out during the meditation section of a class a few months ago and they were the EXACT words I needed to hear. It has now become a little mantra of mine!

105 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 6, 2010

It’s nice to see that even you Angela encounter some cooking disasters :)

106 Annie@stronghealthyfit October 6, 2010

Love the truths. Thanks for sharing!

107 Hope @ One Healthy Hope October 6, 2010

Thanks for posting this list. When I read it in bed from my iPhone this morning I immediately identified with the first truth: ‘You are exactly where you are supposed to be’.
Am in the process of trying to recover from a badly broken toe, which means I have not been able to do any of my usual beloved exercise = super intense guilt! So instead of being all “woe is me” and feeling guilty, I have found new ways of working different parts of my body and I have enjoyed the change…my body has also enjoyed the rest.
You are exactly where you are supposed to be – yep, I am.

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

I wish you a speedy recovery! xo

109 Katie October 6, 2010

Changing up your routine is such a great idea! I was feeling very meh about 8 months ago, and changed things up. Now, I never do the same thing for more than a month, which is about when I start to get bored.

I don’t know if you have Girls on the Run in Canada, but it is a great organization that works with 5-8th grade girls. I just signed up to be a running buddy in this fall’s 5K. It’s my 4th season, and I love it! Great motivation too.

110 Joanna October 6, 2010

These are so true. True true TRUE. Thank you for posting this list. It summarizes all of the wisdom I like to try to focus on in my life.

111 Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex October 6, 2010

GREAT post!

112 maria @ Chasing the Now October 6, 2010

Really enjoyed this post. I believe all of those truths are right on. Especially the one about being exactly what you are supposed to be. I like to say, “In the end everything will work out. If it isn’t working out, it’s not the end!”

113 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 6, 2010

I’ve never heard of these before, but they’re such lovely thoughts! I actually really like the last one. Lately I’ve been really trying to feel connected everything, like to myself, to others, and to nature. It makes me feel really at peace to feel so much a part of the world!

114 Alyson @ Your Nourished Life Blog October 6, 2010

This beautiful post couldn’t have come at a better time.. I’ve been struggling lately with feeling like I’m not living up to expectations or letting myself/others down, also searching for my workout mojo. The 1st one is something one of my favorite yoga teachers talks about a lot and it really strikes home with me. I think all of them are things we generally know, but sometimes forget and need that little reminder. Thanks Angela!

115 Allison October 7, 2010

Thank you.

116 nancylicious October 7, 2010

i love the 7 truths so much. thanks so much for sharing!

117 Amanda October 7, 2010

Angela I adore your blog! I found this blog entry particularity inspirational – and I think I will make an inspiration board myself! I’m going through a hard time now since I was laid-off and stuck in a terribly boring temp job, but using the mantra of “I am exactly where I’m supposed to be” is rather liberating. Thanks again!

118 kate October 7, 2010

Hi Angela and everyone- just wanted to add a good read to this topic. It’s a book that utterly changed my life: “Loving What Is” by Byron Katie. It’s about realizing that when we struggle with “What is”, we suffer. When we go to “I should…” or “He should..” and basically decide we know what “should be” in our lives and even for others, we get ourselves into a terrible mess. It’s powerful and freeing to let go and love what is.