7 Universal Truths

Good morning!

It’s still raining. And dark. Yuk!

Shortly after my Fluffy White Clouds post last week, I received a wonderful email from a friend who is currently in yoga teacher training. She told me that I might enjoy the 7 axioms/Universal Truths that they were taught in her yoga class.

I loved them so much, I thought I would pass them on to you! I have printed the list and will be placing it on my vision board because I find it so inspirational.

Zuda Yoga Teacher Training – 7 axioms/Universal Truths

1. You are exactly where you are supposed to be
2. Fear and pain are life’s greatest teachers
3. Laughter and play are the keys to the fountain of youth
4. Exercise and rest are the keys to vibrant health
5. Touch and intimacy are basic human needs
6. Everything is impermanent
7. Everything is connected

I love the first one especially- ‘You are exactly where you are supposed to be’.

I think that we can often get caught up in where we think we should be or where we want to be, but to realize that we are exactly where we should be at this very moment in time is very powerful.

To accept where we are at this moment helps remove the guilt that so many of us face every single day. To appreciate the times when we are struggling or having a bad day and to realize that even the moments that seem difficult, upsetting, flawed, or discouraging all have their particular place.

How many times have you been down on yourself because you felt like you should or shouldn’t have done something?

Or that you let someone down?

Or that you ate too much?

Or that you should have found a job by now?

Or that you should have had a baby by the time you hit 30?

Or that you shouldn’t have said something or you should have stood up to someone?

We all have regrets and we all have guilt, but often it helps to take a step back and to release some of the guilt that we all have over our heads.

We all make mistakes. We all have things we struggle with in life. But to realize that where we are right now is where we are supposed to be can be very freeing.

It does not mean that we have to stay in a negative situation; it simply means that everything has a learning purpose in our lives.

I always say that if I didn’t struggle so much with making the wrong career choice,  I would never be where I am today. Sometimes we must go through hard times to really push ourselves and grow!

Lately I have been struggling with motivation. Instead of feeling worse about it, I think it might help to accept it for what it is and then think of ways that might help how I am feeling. I am considering joining a local community gym for a few months to add some new challenges to my routine. I used to LOVE doing body pump and spinning classes in university and I think I might love to add classes back into my life. I am definitely going to look into my options and what is out there for me during the colder months. I am also thinking about signing up for a Fall race since I currently don’t have anything on the horizon.

These 7 Universal Truths help me understand that every day has a place and purpose….even the bad ones.

With this in mind, my pancake fail this morning wasn’t so bad. ;)

20101006IMG 9092 thumb   7 Universal Truths

LOL…this my friends is what we call #pancakefail.

Why is writing #pancakefail so much fun?

I shall return with endorphins in my blood and a recipe success. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet October 6, 2010

I love the first one too. I need to write that down and look at it all day today!

Freya October 6, 2010

Ditto with you and Jessica – the 1st one is so good to hear!
LOL at the pancakes! What on earth went in those ones!?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

hahah don’t ask!!!

Coconut flour and molasses. Again, don’t ask. ;)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 6, 2010

This is a great way to start my day. Wherever we are is exactly where we’re meant to be, so it’s best to try to enjoy it, no matter how difficult times may be. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Bree October 6, 2010

I just saw the facebook question “what do you think about blogs?” and someone answered:

“People write blogs for one of two reasons: 1) they’re confused 2) they’re passionate”

Haha…and I thought of you. :-D

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 6, 2010

I LOVE that first one! I spend SO much time thinking about where I want to be in five years, ten years, etc. I need to focus more on where I am right now, and what I can do while I’m here.

It’s rainy and gross here too :-(

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies October 6, 2010

Love those – esp. the first one!!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 6, 2010

“Fear and pain are life’s greatest teachers.” Isn’t that the truth. However, at this point in my sickness, I’d like to skip ahead and learn it from a book, thankyouverymuch. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

((hugs))

Dani @ Body By Nature October 6, 2010

Love this list! I’ve printed it off and stuck it to my wall :) So inspiring!!

Allison @ Food For Healing October 6, 2010

a race would definitely be good!

poor #pancakefail lol

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin October 6, 2010

Wow I love this! Thank you for sharing!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 6, 2010

I’m not usually one for motivational quotes or self-help kind of novels, but these 7 Universal Truths are beautiful. I agree. The first one is the best. It’s just so comforting to think, “I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be.”

Emmanuelle October 6, 2010

The first one is exactly what my teacher in yoga teacher training told us too when we started the first weekend. It’s also the first thing she told us. “Some of you might still wonder what they are doing here, of maybe have doubts. Don’t. If you are here today, it’s because you are exactly where you should be”.
It applies to all kinds of circumstances, although sometimes it’s hard to distinguish ;-)

Amanda October 6, 2010

Ohhh I’ve seen that sight one too many times before. Blame it on the pan :-P

Andrea October 6, 2010

The first one reminds me of my favorite quote, told to me by my mother when I was really struggling: “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are” (Theodore Roosevelt). I loved this post, so very true. Thanks!

Lainie October 6, 2010

Hi! I am always reading your blog (almost every day) but today is the first time I am commenting. This post absolutely spoke to me and motivated me. As I read each one of those six points I agreed whole-heartedly with all of them. This was a really great and inspirational things to share with your viewers. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning and giving me a little extra courage/boost throughout my day! :)

Krystina October 6, 2010

I love number 4. I think so many people are afraid to rest and enjoy time just being peaceful and relaxed. We always want to either be exercising or doing something productive. Sometimes simply doing nothing is exactly what we need.

Heather Dawn October 6, 2010

Love these. I went through yoga teacher training over the summer and it was one of the best things I have ever done! I love the first one and constantly remind myself of this. There are good days and there are bad days. Reminds me that everything happens for a reason, but its all good!
Haha, and sometimes we need those #pancakefails :) You are right, it is fun to write and say!

Tonyne @ Unlikely Success Story October 6, 2010

This may have just inspired me to write a blog post I have been putting off. Thank you for posting this, it helps put somethings into perspective for me.

Cate October 6, 2010

I love these Universal Truths- thanks for sharing! :) I am going to write them down.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 6, 2010

I love these – and definitely need to post them somewhere. The first is my favourite – for all of the reasons you listed above. I find I’m always trying to get ahead of myself and prepare as much as I can for things coming up, (in fact, for the past 2 weeks, I’ve been mentally a day ahead of myself, and I woke up on Friday thinking it was the weekend. How disappointing!!) but the first truth is a good reminder to stay in the present.
Have a fab day!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 6, 2010

Angela as much as I love your recipes, I found it very comforting to see you have a cooking fail — that I’m not the only one who has food turn out that terribly!

I love the 7 truths: yes, I am who I am supposed to be. I believe that God doesn’t make mistakes and I am who I am for a reason and I need to embrace that!

JenATX October 6, 2010

thanks for the motivation! I am trying to not be annoyed with myself for sleeping through my alarm clock and missing that extra hour to read for class :-/ This helps put it into perspective

Amanda Davis October 6, 2010

I can’t tell you how much I needed to hear this right now. Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and support!

Erin October 6, 2010

Ang – sign up for the Fat Ass Trail Run in Batawa! It’s not far from Pic-towne ;) and it would be great to see you! check out http://www.triandrunsports.com for race details. They have several distances, and it’s a trail run so it’s a nice change of pace. Beware the mud though! There is actually a prize for the person who gets the muddiest :P

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul October 6, 2010

Absolutely love these “truths” and will definitely be sharing them. I also particularly love “everything is impermanent.” All joy and pain will end – so it’s vital to stay centered in the present and experience those emotions now. Thanks for sharing!

Courtney October 6, 2010

your post really struck a chord with me, particularly the question “Or that you should have a job by now?” As a recent college grad, and one who never had much experience in rejection/failure academically, it has been a great big slice of humble pie not to find employment right away. But, as number one says, “You are exactly where you are supposed to be.” I found your blog shortly after graduating and it has really provided me with the inspiration and support to start taking better care of my health in a way I couldn’t while I was so busy focusing on school. So maybe this time is what I needed to make some important changes in my personal life before I can go out and lead a successful professional one. Thank you for some really timely advice!

rachael October 6, 2010

I totally agree with you about that first truth. I always tell my yoga class, your are exactly where you’re supposed to be, even if it’s not what you may have planned.

Lisa October 6, 2010

That first universal truth, always gives me comfort. I think about that all the time, especially when I’m down. It makes me feel better knowing that if I made a mistake or have gone through a hard time, that was supposed to happen for some reason!

Tara October 6, 2010

Great Post!!!! I wake up and read your new posts daily with my morning tea/breakfast and they always give me a positive outlook on the day to come (and ideas for supper that coming night!).

Love the 7 universal truths.

I get the winter time blues with working out sometimes too. It is hard to get out there when it’s cold and wet/snowy. What I’ve done in the past is signed up for several “Hypothermic Half Marathons” that take place in February (through the Running Room. There’s probably one happening in Toronto). That really gets me out running all winter and I’ve come to love running in the snow, surprisingly! It’s very refreshing and it feels great once you get warmed up. I actually have come to prefer it over summertime running.

This winter I’ve decided I need a different challenge than running. I’m training for my 6th half marathon now and I am in need of a change. I am going to tackle the p90x program. It sounds tough but I love a challenge! I’d rather pay for that then pay for a gym membership and I get to do it in the comfort of my own home… where it’s toasty and WARM. Knowing I have a set schedule for 3 months and a book telling me what to do is what I love (which is why I keep signing up to do more halfs – I love the training). Maybe you could find a program like this that would keep you close to home but give you something different to do. It would be a great way to document a new exercise challenge for yourself on the blog too.

Have a wonderful day!

Wei-Wei October 6, 2010

I’m guessing… a Twitter epiphany about pancake fails and a workout? :D I just love this post. I think what sets you apart from most other bloggers in the “healthy living” genre is your beautiful writing and spirit – it just shines through in everything you post! I love your blog :)

Ally October 6, 2010

I’m normally too cynical for this kind of stuff, but I needed this today. I may even print them out and leave them on my desk at work as a reminder. Thanks for this!

Therese October 6, 2010

Over the last several years I’ve become a huge believer in that first Universal Truth. We are all the culmination of the choices we’ve made that have led to us being right here, right now, me typing this message to you. In that instance, recognizing that, I feel SO connected to people.

If I didn’t experience what I did while being overweight, I never would have realized what it is I want to do (help others uncover their own potential) and who knows if I’d still be connected to the people that I am. There is no wrong decision, only situations in which to learn from.

Jenny Lynn October 6, 2010

Dearest Angela ~ I’ve been a longtime reader and know you are truly inspirational, not only to others, but to yourself. You should be so, so proud!

When I saw this post with the 7 Axioms, I new I had to comment on what I’ve been thinking for awhile now. Have you ever read Eckhart Tolle? I highly recommend you pick up “A New Earth,” as I feel it would be very moving and transformational for you. “Stillness Speaks” is also wonderful. They essentially expand on the truth that you are exactly where you are supposed to be. In every moment. Appreciating the beauty of the now.

Without going into much detail, I too have struggled much throughout my life with weight issues, depression, anxiety, etc. After many years of self-discovery, meditation, exercise, clean eating, and facing both fear and pain head-on, I feel reborn. And the world is so very beautiful.

It’s both exciting and endearing to follow along with you on your journey. As I continue on mine, and you yours ~

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

Thank you so much. :)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious October 6, 2010

I found “A New Earth” excellent, as well as “The Four Agreements”…both life changers for me. they get you digging deeper into your self and helped me understand what was robbing me of joy and needless worrying, suffering.

Cara craves... October 6, 2010

You said it perfectly.
Often times I lose sight of the fact that I need to live in the present and be thankful for the things I have NOW; too often I set my sights on things to come and and think I am missing out on the present. Live in the moment and be thankful for all the small things in life!

Shanna, Like Banana October 6, 2010

It’s like you read my mind…I needed those today. I’ve been having a lot of self-judgment on where I’m supposed to, what to do, what (not) to eat, etc. Thank you for this =)

Chelsea at Striking Balance October 6, 2010

Oh my gosh, I love those 7 truths. I especially love the first one, as well as the one that says “everything is impermanent”. It is so hard to remind yourself that the position you are in right now won’t last forever. Whether it is good or bad, eventually it could (and probably will) change.

Violetta Maria Dima October 6, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 7 truths, I must say every morning when I wake up my first stop is water and my second stop is your web site. Each and every day you fill me with me inspiration and you encourage me to really go for what I want in life. For that I am forever thankful. I curently work in a super corporate job which although pays well is such a drag. I am excited and proud to say that this winter I am going to be training to become a yoga instructor. Im really excited becasue I always wanted to do this I just was always scared to take the risk. Thanks girl friend you have made a huge difference in my life :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

Congrats! That is so inspiring. Thanks for your uplifting comment. :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 6, 2010

I agree – the first one is super powerful. Just after reading it, I felt like I had a mini epiphany. See – I live so far away from home and each day, I just say to myself, “things will get better when I move back East”. But maybe this is right – maybe I AM where I’m supposed to be for a reason and I should trust that.

I go through workout routines where I am in love with the gym and where I’m not. I think I’ve joined and quit at least 4 in the past few years! Hope it helps with your motivation!

Bri October 6, 2010

Angela,
I am so glad you wrote this today because it is so close to my heart. I had a huge meltdown last night and thank god my wonderful boyfriend was there to hold me in his arms and calm me down. I am only 21 years old and feel like im having an early life crisis! HA! Pathetic right? I just feel so stuck at my job and i hate going into work every morning. I am a teller at a credit union and i absolutely don’t like one thing about it. Sitting behind a thick glass talking to people who smell even through the glass is not my thing. I am so passionate about HEALTH, FITNESS, NUTRITION and researching everything about the subject and i cant find motivation to get myself toward the right path because i just feel STUCK. I don’t even know how to explain it but i just feel like life is passing me by so quickly and i am in such a hurry to figure out my career and what really makes me happy that i forget to enjoy the present moment and embrace my times struggling. Your story of how you changed your life around has touched my heart and i cant wait to feel like good and be in the same situation and say goodbye to my current job and hello to something wonderful. I read your blog every single day religiously. I may be a shy reader and not talk much but everyday i learn something new from you and am so happy that i came across your website. Your even bookmarked on my apple computer as part of my daily morning routine of my interernt search while drinking my yerba mate haha!! well have a nice day and thanks again for the great post today.

jenna October 6, 2010

this was such a great thing post to start the morning! thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 3123»