Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 5, 2010

Good morning!

This weekend is our Canadian Thanksgiving, which seems strange to me after the weekend madness, but I am just happy that I am not the one preparing the entire meal this time. ;)

I have been thinking of something that I could bring for my in-laws that would make a fun Thanksgiving hostess gift. I didn’t feel like bringing cookies, pie, or something of that nature, so I put my thinking cap on and surfed the web for ideas.

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks pumpkins.

20101005-IMG_8987

Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

This was super easy to make and quite delicious. I doubled the batch below so I could have some to enjoy myself. This will be fantastic spread onto pancakes, toast, or even layered with Vegan Overnight Oats! The possibilities are endless, and I plan to find them all. ;) Note that I reduced the sugar by 1/3 of a cup as I didn’t want it super sweet. You can adjust the sugar and seasonings to your own taste of course.

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen.

Ingredients:

• 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree, approx. 3 1/2 cups or fresh
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/2-1.5 teaspoons ground ginger (optional, sometimes I omit)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice

Directions:

1. Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil, covered with lid ajar (I prop it with a wooden spoon). Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer, covered with lid ajar, for 35-45 minutes, stirring frequently. Be careful as the mixture bubbles and pops!

2. Remove from heat and let it sit for a few minutes before removing lid. Adjust spices to taste. Stir in lemon juice. Once cool, pumpkin butter can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Makes enough to fill one large mason jar or about 3.5 cups.

Note: Canning is not recommended.

Get your super cute Mason jar and set aside…

20101005-IMG_8965

20101005-IMG_8963

Dump everything into the pot except the fresh lemon juice. Once the mixture is cooked it will be thick and creamy!

20101005-IMG_8970

Allow your pumpkin butter to cool before putting it into your Mason jar.

20101005-IMG_8997 20101005-IMG_9017

Wheeeeeeeee.

20101005-IMG_8998

Now decorate your jar with curly ribbon and a tag…

20101005-IMG_9022

20101005-IMG_9020

Disgustingly cute, I would say.

20101005-IMG_9034

Hmm, what is that white circle on top of the jar?

20101005-IMG_9021

The recipe!

20101005-IMG_9025

And there you have it.

20101005-IMG_9019

A simple and quick hostess gift that can be enjoyed all season long. Just don’t forget to make a batch for yourself! ;)

Freya October 5, 2010 at 8:49 am

If I was small enough to live in a jar, I’d live in that one. That looks SO delicious! What a lovely gift :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 5, 2010 at 8:50 am

what a perfect gift! i think i know what i’m making today :) thanks for the great recipe!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 5, 2010 at 8:51 am

Such a gorgeous presentation! This is one of my favorite parts of Fall!

JenATX October 5, 2010 at 8:52 am

so excited to go grocery shopping today so i can buy a ton of mini pumpkins and spread them about my apartment :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies October 5, 2010 at 8:54 am

Ohh – this would make such a lovely gift!

Ashley October 5, 2010 at 8:55 am

LOVE this. Wow, I didn’t know pumpkin butter was SO easy to make because I know apple butter is quite intensive. Definitely going to make this! :) Love the color too!

Laura @ Tidbits October 5, 2010 at 8:58 am

I just love this! Such a great idea!
I am so excited for Thanksgiving this weekend! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 5, 2010 at 8:58 am

I am so stoked for thanksgiving. This recipe looks pretty awesome! I would love to try it!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 5, 2010 at 8:58 am

What a cute gift! I love how you put the recipe on the top as well. Once I find more pumpkin, I’ll be making this for sure!

Charlie October 5, 2010 at 8:59 am

I’m adding pumpkin to everything these days and this seems delicious! One more pumpkin recipe to make ;).

Estela @ Weekly Bite October 5, 2010 at 9:02 am

I JUST asked on my blog if anyone had a good recipe for homemade pumpkin butter!

Thank You! Thank You!!!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 5, 2010 at 10:52 am

I was totally thinking of you when I read this. Now I want to make this pumpkin butter and your sandwich. Yum!

Ashley Craft October 5, 2010 at 9:04 am

What a great idea!! I’ve been searching for cute, simple, (yummy!), & meaningful gift ideas… this is perfect! :)

melissa @ the delicate place October 5, 2010 at 9:04 am

mmmm i love pumpkin buttaaaa! had no idea it was so easy to make! i would probably drink that jar lol

Rachel (tea and chocolate) October 5, 2010 at 9:04 am

Oh wow I didn’t know how easy it was to make pumpkin butter! Will be making this.

Amanda October 5, 2010 at 9:04 am

A simple hostess gift, yes. A way to not have to buy store bought pumpkin butter, also yes. Thank you! :-)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats October 5, 2010 at 9:05 am

what a great idea!

Hilary October 5, 2010 at 9:13 am

I’ve been wanting to make pumpkin butter for ooooh about 2 years now. Maybe this will be THE year :) Thanks for reminding me about it!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) October 5, 2010 at 9:15 am

What an adorable idea!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) October 5, 2010 at 9:16 am

OHMIGOSH ANGE… I CAN COMMENT AGAIN!!! Yay!

So to finish my comment… that punkin butter looks delicious, please save me some ;)
Actually, I should probably make my own because I would love to give some out to my hostess/family this thanksgiving! Awesome idea!

xoxo
Kris

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2010 at 11:07 am

Ahhhhhh!!!!
What do you think happened?? That is so weird!! Im so happy to see your comments :)

Abby October 5, 2010 at 9:17 am

How long do you think this would this last in the fridge?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2010 at 11:05 am

Im not certain but Smitten Kitchen offers a way to preserve it on her original post that I linked to. :)

“To preserve: Spoon hot pumpkin mixture into hot jars, filling to within 1/4 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.”

cortney September 7, 2013 at 12:38 am

Another way to can them is just put the pumpkin in really hot put the lid on and cover with a towel and they will seal themselves that’s how we do it at home. Sometimes a couple won’t seal but we just take it off and try again or just throw those in the fridge to use first

Michelle November 12, 2013 at 3:15 am

This method of canning is extremely dangerous! I have been judging canned goods at county fairs for 16 years and I am only telling you this out of concern. Please, please do not use this method to can anything! The chance of making a person sick is much higher! As a side note, pumpkin butter is not considered a safe product to “can”. It is safe in the refrigerator or freezer. As a side note, responding to a previous comment, changing the amount of sugar, spices, or acid (lemon juice for example) in any recipe that you will be “canning” (hot water bath or pressure canner) is not a safe practice. The sugar content as well as the acidity of the product is measured precisely in recipes and changing that could end up making a person sick.

jackie October 12, 2015 at 9:45 am

How long can I store in fridge?

Chelsea at Striking Balance October 5, 2010 at 9:26 am

Yum! I’ve always wanted to try pumpkin butter. What better time than now when I have a recipe I can make on my own rather than pay an arm and leg for it at Whole Foods :)Thanks!

Shanna, Like Banana October 5, 2010 at 9:26 am

This idea is beyond adorable and would make really cute table settings if you used smaller mason jars on Thanksgiving Day..so cute and creative!

It really does look phonenomenal too =)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 5, 2010 at 9:35 am

Oh my goodness, this would make SUCH a cute hostess present! Love it!

Marie-Sophie October 5, 2010 at 9:41 am

Lovely gift!! I will have to make pumpkin puree (no canned pumpkin in Germany, no Sir :-( ) and just give it out to people – as we don’t have Thanksgiving here I’ll be celebrating my own little feast! :-)

Oh, and I bet it would also work with the recipe stuck to the bottom – then your lid would be all shiny and beautiful! ;-)

Gillian October 5, 2010 at 9:41 am

I almost bought some pumpkin butter in Ohio and then I declared “I’ll make it myself!” I’ve been wanting to make this forever but have been to intimidated…so thank you!!! Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 5, 2010 at 9:43 am

I’m a huge fan of TJ’s Pumpkin Butter, but it is a bit sweet (a little goes a long way) – what a fantastic , homemade alternative! Your photos just gave me the warm fuzzies.

Farrah October 5, 2010 at 9:50 am

You must be a mind reader! Just this morning I was hoping you had a pumpkin butter recipe in your repertoire. I can’t wait to try this!

Leanne @ Simplicitlee October 5, 2010 at 9:51 am

Is Sucanat a replacement for sugar? If so, where do you get it in Canada?

This looks tasty! & I love the personal touch of the “Happy Thanksgiving” note on the mason jar.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 5, 2010 at 9:51 am

I love giving gifts in jars — and this pumpkin butter looks delicious!

I hate giving STUFF to people for gifts (unless there is something they asked for) — only because we all have so much stuff that I like to give things people can use up: food, alcohol (!), concert tickets or cash!

Wei-Wei October 5, 2010 at 9:59 am

This looks AMAZINGLY delicious! I’ve never had pumpkin butter before, believe it or not. I wonder if I could make sweet potato butter…

Amber K October 5, 2010 at 10:09 am

Ahh…I forgot it is earlier in Canada! I was thinking, what’s with all of the Thanksgiving stuff? lol

Kaye S. October 5, 2010 at 10:14 am

Awesome idea. Just what I was looking for..Is there a way to seal the jar so that it can be stored in the cupboard until ready to use? Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe.

gayle bartosh October 13, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Why can’t I can it?

Michelle November 12, 2013 at 3:22 am

There is a link that states why this product should not be canned.

:) Happy Fall!!

AGS October 5, 2010 at 10:19 am

Thanks for the recipe. I purchased some pumpkin butter this Sunday, and it was cloyingly sweet (more so than another brand I purchased last year). As is typical for me, I immediately thought, “I could make this better from scratch.” Behold: your perfectly time post. It made me smile. And it made me hungry, too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2010 at 11:06 am

Glad the timing was good :) Enjoy making it, its fun!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 5, 2010 at 10:20 am

Love it! I would love to try to make pumpkin butter starting with a pumpkin – however, using canned pumpkin would be much quicker.

Jemma @ Celeryandcupcakes.wordpress.com October 5, 2010 at 10:29 am

That pumpkin butter looks amazing! I’ve tried pumpkin seen butter before but not butter made from the actually pumpkin flesh. Thank you for the recipe! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 5, 2010 at 10:30 am

What a great idea! I love it!

Jenny- About a Girl Finding her Healthy October 5, 2010 at 10:33 am

I am a huge fan of pumpkin and will definitely be making this and adding it to my fall recipes, thank you! :-) As usual, you come up with (adapt) the best recipes!

Halley (Blunder Construction) October 5, 2010 at 10:34 am

BEAUTIFUL. You are going to make all the other seasons jealous! Your autumn recipes are completely gorgeous and delicious.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 5, 2010 at 10:46 am

I’m a tad jealous this weekend’s your Thanksgiving..you think it’d be alright for me to celebrate over here with you guys? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2010 at 11:06 am

Why of course!

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 5, 2010 at 10:49 am

That is too stinking cute!! I love the ribbon and recipe idea!

Katie October 5, 2010 at 11:04 am

I have been making homemade pumpkin butter for years, using a very similar recipe. If you want to go all out, you can make it with real pumpkin, either roasted (which is the best, but takes a lot more time) or boiled. i’ve even used the cheap carving pumpkins. It has such great flavor! I make HUGE batches and freeze them.

Sonia October 5, 2010 at 11:12 am

Perfect timing. I was going to look for a pumpkin butter recipe today! Been drooling over pumpkin and apple butters for a while now. Can’t wait to give this one a try! :)

Babs October 5, 2010 at 11:34 am

Such a thoughtful and easy idea. I love DIY projects :)

Jennifer R October 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

Love, love, LOVE this idea — I’ve made rhubarb butter and never even thought of pumpkin butter. I will probably just use an apple (put in my vitamix with some pumpkin) and then transfer to a pan to cook with the spices. Great idea for a hostess gift, or even teacher gifts! Thanks (our Thanksgiving in US isn’t until November, so I still have some time).

Brittney October 5, 2010 at 11:50 am

I absolutely love that idea! You’re so creative!

Faith @ lovelyascharged October 5, 2010 at 11:57 am

What an awesome hostess gift! My boyfriend’s parents are always feeding me, so I was hoping to make them some homemade goodies as a thank-you basket @ Thanksgiving…this will definitely be going in there! What did you serve it on? I’m thinking toast or maybe crackers?

Chere October 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm

When I was growing up we ate it on plain bread or made peanut butter and pumpkin jam sandwiches – yummy!

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 5, 2010 at 11:59 am

Love it! Just might have to do this for co workers and friends.
Is it too heavy to ship reasonably??

Lisa October 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm

You always have the best ideas! =)

Aly October 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm

That looks delicious! One of my favorite fall treats is apple butter, it goes well on everything. So I am eager to try the pumpkin version!

faith @ gracefulfitness October 5, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I have been meaning to make pumpkin butter for over a month, great reminder and inspiration! thanks!

Kiersten October 5, 2010 at 12:20 pm

This looks great Angela! I tried pumpkin butter for the first time last year and loved it, but haven’t been able to find a vegan one since then (they all seem to contain honey). I guess I’ll just have to make my own!

Moni's Meals October 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Spectacular! what a great idea. ;)

Chase @ The Chase Project October 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Angela, I LOVE your recipes! I can’t wait to try this! Thanks for another awesome idea!!

[email protected] October 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm

This is an amazing hostess gift! I need to try out this recipe. I would put pumpkin butter on EVERYTHING!

Lana October 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm

What a fabulous idea!!! I need to make this for my parents when I go home for Thanks Giving Break!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 5, 2010 at 12:48 pm

cloves are a LOVE of mine..I mean, I adore the way they smell! I can only imagine how amazing your house smelled after the pumpkin + sugar + cloves mixture was brewing…WOW. Delish!! And you’re so right this would knock the socks off anyone and would make a STELLAR hostess gift.

The only thing I wonder about is the lemon juice? I love things pretty sweet so I think I would take it easy on the lemon juice I think….but I should probably just trust your recipe and do as you say and use half a lemon’s juice, huh :)

Nichole @ Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion October 5, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Amazing! What a cute idea. I think this is something I can get everyone around my house to enjoy. :)

Kathryn October 5, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Hey Ange – when do you add the lemon juice. I have a bunch of frozen home made pumpkin puree in my freezer, hoping to give it a go to see if it comes out with what is in the freezer!

JL Goes Vegan October 5, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Looks easy and delicious. My two favorite things!

Rachel October 5, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Please be sure your readers know that home canning of pumpkin butter is NOT considered safe. See http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/pumpkin_butter.html Pumpkin is low acid, and therefore can support the growth of botulism. Instead, homemade pumpkin butter should always be refrigerated or frozen.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Wow I didn’t know that. Thanks for the helpful info. I have removed Smitten Ktchen’s instructions on preserving.

Kate November 5, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Just FYI: it grows Clostridium botulinum, NOT botulism. Botulism is the disease, Clostridium is the bacteria. If you’re going to inform people do so knowledgeably. And just about anything can grow bacteria if left unrefrigerated.

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 5, 2010 at 1:58 pm

This looks amazing! Did you process your jars in a hot water bath? I don’t have one, but this recipe makes me want to go buy one! You can never have too many fall flavors! : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2010 at 2:13 pm

The jars were sanitized in the dishwasher, however I will be putting it in the fridge.

Jenny October 5, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I’m so glad you just posted this because my sister and I are making some this weekend, now we have a recipe to use!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl October 5, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Super cute! For some reason, I had in my mind that making pumpkin butter would be some huge, drawn out process…you make it look simple enough that even I could give it a decent shot! ;)

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy October 5, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Ahhh! LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea! Thanks, as ALWAYS, for the disgustingly cute idea, Angela!!

Lisa October 5, 2010 at 4:29 pm

What a wonderful idea!! Do you have some recommended ways to use the butter? I would love to hear them!

Robin October 5, 2010 at 5:05 pm

A perfect dip for gingersnaps!

Camille October 5, 2010 at 5:39 pm

What a cute and delicious idea!
I will have to remember that one this year!

stacey-healthylife October 5, 2010 at 5:50 pm

That’s a great gift. I love things in a jar.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 5, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Yay now I can finally try pumpkin butter! How long do you think this will last in the fridge? Whenever I open a can of pumpkin it tends to go bad within a week or two.

rachel October 5, 2010 at 7:35 pm

what an awesome idea for a gift. i can’t see myself giving any of this away though ;)

Kirsten @ Cooking in Japan October 5, 2010 at 11:54 pm

This looks like an excellent gift to make for myself :-)
I make mine with orange juice (recipe on my blog ‘kabocha jam) but I must try apple juice.
Have you tried making it using kabocha squash? Amazing.

Mae October 6, 2010 at 1:21 am

Thanks for the recipe – I just made it, and it’s amazing! I’ll be serving it later with biscuits, but I just want to eat it now with a spoon! It’s so good, and a definite must-make for fall.

Allison O'Mara (Girl in her kitchen) October 6, 2010 at 6:09 am

Thanks for the recipe! I am going to make this for friends/family as a fall treat! :)

Felicia October 6, 2010 at 11:47 am

super cute! love this idea, i think i’m going to steal it :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie October 6, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Perfect!!! I have tons of pumpkin puree that I need to use but have run out of baked goods and oatmeal uses for it! I’m definitely going to make this.

Anjelica @ Simple Sweet Southern October 7, 2010 at 10:39 am

This is so exciting and makes me eager for our Thanksgiving festivities next month. I have already been trying to plan out what special gift I can bring to my family this year, now that I am newly married and this looks like the perfect idea. Thanks so much for sharing! All of your recipes look delicious and make me want to run to my kitchen and bake my way through your blog.

Kat October 8, 2010 at 9:20 am

So delicious! I just made a batch and stirred it into my oatmeal. I used half maple sugar, half brown sugar but I don’t think I would do it that way again as there isn’t much of a maple flavour.

Therese October 8, 2010 at 10:00 am

This looks amazing!! You have totally inspired me. I was wracking my brains trying to think of something to bring to my inlaws as a hostess present when we visit them in Chicago in a couple of weeks.

Question: Do you think this would be shelf stable?? Like would it survive the plain trip in a carryon/checked bag? Thanks in advance!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I don’t think it would be shelf stable for long…

Amanda Factor October 8, 2010 at 10:28 am

Hi Angela,

My name is Amanda Factor, and I am the online editor of Bunchland.com. I’d love to include this recipe in today’s newsletter and on our website, as we want to give our audience some pumpkin recipes. Please let me know if I can use this recipe and maybe some of your photos (credited, of course, with a link to your site). Thanks so much.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Just emailed you :)

AdrienneCarolyn October 9, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Umm..I just made this and had to practice SERIOUS SELF CONTROL in order to not eat the entire batch out of the pot….wow…better than pie! I was supposed to make pasta for dinner but that’s been kiboshed…oats and pumpkin butter for dinner whee!!!

Jenny October 9, 2010 at 5:01 pm

making this recipe, right now! can’t wait :) yum, thanks for sharing!

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 9, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I just made this and it seriously is addicitng! It is so good!

Sara October 9, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I JUST made a batch … however, it turned brown. Possibly from the dark spices and brown sugar?? Either way, it is DELICIOUS, especially over icecream!! Mmmmm!!

Thank you so much for the awesome recipe!!

Christabel October 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Thank you SO much for this recipe! I made this morning and spread it on a gluten free dutch baby with toasted pecans and it was DELICIOUS.

Your blog is a constant inspiration. Thanks to you I’ve stopped weighing myself and am so much happier. (the world hasn’t ended and my clothes still fit!) :)

Ann October 10, 2010 at 1:40 pm

This looks SO good – can’t wait to try it!

Jeanette October 10, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Beautiful pictures. Will definitely make this simple and tasty looking recipe.

Allison October 26, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I’m starting to think you post too much. I check my blog list multiple times a day and yet I somehow missed this post! I came here through a blog that I got to through another blog and I am so glad I did. I was just contemplating making pumpkin butter. By the way, just a little FYI, you rule in the kitchen! Can I come work for you? I’d work for pumpkin butter…

Amy Jones July 19, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I CANNOT wait to make this receipe this fall!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’m looking forward to making it again too! One of the best things about fall….yum

brandy July 21, 2012 at 8:11 pm

how many jars does this recipe make?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hi Brandy, It makes about 3.5 cups (I think it filled one large mason jar for me)

Nina August 9, 2012 at 11:02 pm

LooKs very yummy! But how is pumpkin butter served? Is it more or a dip or does It act like a nut butter?? Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2012 at 7:55 am

I love it on toast or in oatmeal…I tend to use it as a breakfast food. I also have a recipe or two that Ive used it in (squares)

Amanda August 10, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I love pumkin butter. I like to heat up mine on the stove to be nice and warm…then i pour it over some vanilla icecream. Very yummy.

Amanda O. August 29, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I just wanted to let you know how much I love and use this recipe! I love it with yogurt, granola, and a little maple syrup! I bake with it as an oil replacement, I’ve given it as gifts to my gluten-free vegan organic foodie friends (like me! I’d love a gift of something delicious and homemade that I could eat and I didn’t have to make myself!

I’ve made it with fresh ginger (my favorite), apple juice, apple cider, sucanat, brown sugar, turbinado sugar, my brother-in-law’s honey, and local maple syrup. I don’t think I could pick a favorite!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

fresh ginger sounds incredible! Thanks for letting me know. I cant wait to make it again soon…maybe this time with a fresh pumpkin pie squash?

M.C. September 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

A friend directed me to this recipe. It is so good! It is really delicious in oatmeal.

brianna September 12, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Yum! This sounds so good.

Julia September 13, 2012 at 9:14 pm

What a great gift idea! I can’t wait to try this recipe out and give it to some of my friends as a gift. Thanks for sharing!
Julia

Shannon September 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Found your recipe on pinterest. I just made it and it’s cooling now. It’s delicious!!! I’m afraid there won’t be any left to put in the jar because hubby and I keep tasting it. Thanks for the great recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2012 at 9:06 am

Enjoy Shannon!

lanette September 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm

THANK YOU for the “Canning not recommended” disclaimer. I wish more bloggers would be so diligent!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I’m generally a big worry wart so I like to err on the side of caution.

DENISE JACKSON September 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Thank You for the recipe. This is the perfect time of the year for this pumpkin butter. Every year I make pumpkin bread and freeze it to eat all year. And I give alot of it away as presents too for the holidays. So this will be something else I can try. It’s quite comical every year right after Holloween. All the punpkins get throwed out on the curb for the trash man but I always try to beat him to them. Last year one family threw out six lg. pumpkins. I was in pumpkin heaven. I took them all home and baked them done and pureed the meat in my processor and then put them in freezer bags. So when I want to make fresh pumpkin bread I just pull out a freezer bag full of pureed pumpkin and get to baking. So Happy baking and cooking girls.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm

haha love that!

Sara September 28, 2012 at 11:20 am

Quick question..can you put the mixture into a crock pot instead of cooking it stovetop? If so, about how long would you recommend or is it just until the desired consistency? Thanks!

singlelady September 28, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I made this recipe for two of my teachers who wrote me letters of recommendation as a thank you, and they LOVED IT! It is seriously so good. Not to mention, my entire house smelled like fall :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012 at 8:17 am

aw so glad to hear that!!

Carole Ann Spear October 1, 2012 at 1:05 am

I just want to thank you for adding the amount of fresh pumpkin that you need if you want to use it instead of canned. So many recipes don’t do that. Also for the warning not to can it as written. Great info, can’t wait to try it.

Angie October 21, 2012 at 10:16 pm

This may be a stupid question but is there actually no butter in this?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012 at 8:59 am

Nope, I know the name is deceiving!

Donna Hathaway October 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Am gonna try this for sure. Always looking for different thing to do with pumpkins. YUMMY

Deirdre October 29, 2012 at 3:49 am

Just made my first pumpkin butter, thanks for the recipe. Mine turned out quite lumpy cause of the type of pumpkin I used to I attacked it with a hand blender! I’ve never had pumpkin butter so don’t know what it’s supposed to taste like but I may be in love. Mixed some into pancake batter (non-vegan, sorry!) and they turned out great!

Diane November 1, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Oh my this is a fantastic recipe. I use this on oatmeal, over yogurt, make pumpkin spice lattes with it and even in homemade granola bars and smoothies. I keep it in the smaller mason jars and freeze them. They thaw perfectly in the fridge and I always have a supply on hand!

Kathy O. November 4, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Can you freeze it after you put in jars? I freeze all my other jellies, so I don’t have to worry about them sealing.

Mara November 9, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I love this recipe. The only thing I changed is that I substituted coconut sugar for the refined sugar so that recipe would be low glycemic. I put it on pumpkin pancakes and it is off the hook!

Bev Barreto November 12, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Thanks for the recipe. i have made it before and absolutely love it.

Baltic Maid November 14, 2012 at 2:01 am

Thank you so much for this lovely recipe. I tried it the other day and it was delicious. It was my first time trying pumpkin butter and I love it! Thanks again!

kendra November 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Thank you for posting this!!!! i fell in love with pumpkin butter last year…but refuse to pay the 8.00 i paid for a small jar!
this was so easy to put together..i dont have clove so i just omited the nutmeg and used pumpkin pie spice in place of those two. and added a little extra brown sugar..
it made waaaaay more than i had expected it too!! it was nice and thick too!! will for sure be making this again!

sharon turner January 2, 2013 at 12:19 pm

what is shelf life of pumpkin butter once in mason jar?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Ive kept mine in the fridge for over 1 month. enjoy!

meemawcrochets July 8, 2013 at 8:55 am

lovely hostess gift:) what are nutritional values such as carb count etc?

Sarah August 15, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Can’t wait to try but the lemon juice listed in the recipe is never used so why is it listed?

Barbara October 5, 2013 at 7:44 pm

How do you keep the pumpkin butter pumpkin color instead of brown? It taste great. Love this for holidays.

Kali October 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I just made this, and while it is absolutely delicious, mine looks nothing like yours!! It is VERY dark and not thick and creamy like yours! I know it didn’t burn and I even tried to cook it a little longer with the lid off in hopes it would thicken up but it didn’t. Not sure what I did wrong but even if it’s not as pretty as yours it’s still very yummy!!!

lonny November 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm

This looks yummy ! I live a couple states away from my family and wanted to contribute to their thanksgiving feast in some cute way and this is perfect ! But I have some questions . . Does it need to be refrigerated or is it safe to over night ship ? What do you put pumpkin butter on ? Bread , crackers ?? Thanks much !

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Yes I recommend refrigerating it for sure. You can use it on so many things…graham crackers, pancakes, oatmeal, parfaits, on top of quick bread, toast, etc

Samantha November 19, 2013 at 8:57 am

Hi! I just made this pumpkin butter. It is so amazing! I could barley get it into the jars without eating it!
I have been reading your blog for about a month now. I found it on accident but it was truly a blessing. I have been suffering from disordered eating. I try to stay in control of my eating but I end up going back to old eating habits. You have given me inspiration and motivation to kick this ED in the butt! I read your story and I’m so proud of you! You are a true, real life role model for lots of people. Thank you so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2013 at 9:00 am

Hey Samantha, Thanks for your kind words! So glad to hear you are getting on a healthier path. I’m glad the pumpkin butter was a hit too!

Gloria November 26, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Just finished making the pumpkin butter. Used only half the brown sugar. I find the sweetness of the apple juice and 1/2 cup of brown sugar is perfect for us. Thank you so much for this recipe. As soon as it cools I will place in smaller jars with your beautiful idea of attaching a pumpkin tab and give it to my daughters for thanksgiving.

Chelle July 17, 2014 at 6:57 am

I’m excited to try this recipe! I’ve tried others, but I this one looks quite good. :-) For those wondering you absolutely can use a crockpot. Five hours on low, stirring several times. My crockpot runs hot so doesn’t take that long. You want the butter thick enough to stick to a spoon upside down. It freezes nicely, use within six months. So happy to find this blog!!!

Julie August 30, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Stupid question …. What can I use it for? On toast? Muffins?

Etain September 29, 2014 at 11:33 am

I don’t know if someone has all ready asked this but could I use coconut sugar or would you suggest to just use brown sugar. I just happen to have a bag of coconut sugar and thought to ask. Thank you!

Kimberly Morrow October 21, 2014 at 11:56 am

A friend & I are going to make this for gifts & I’m curious how long it lasts before going bad? I want to do it in advance of course, but don’t want it to go bad, lol…

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Hey Kimberly, I think it usually lasts in my fridge for a few weeks or so (in an air tight container or jar). Hope this helps!

mouse October 25, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Cloves of what … garlic ?

Sandy December 31, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Can this be frozen and saved for later?

Rita Foust October 1, 2015 at 9:40 am

Can this be frozen?

Judy November 30, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Could I use honey instead of the sugar?

Eden Passante November 2, 2016 at 8:45 pm

What a great way to use left over pumpkin this holiday season! I would put this on everything!!