Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Good morning!

This weekend is our Canadian Thanksgiving, which seems strange to me after the weekend madness, but I am just happy that I am not the one preparing the entire meal this time. ;)

I have been thinking of something that I could bring for my in-laws that would make a fun Thanksgiving hostess gift. I didn’t feel like bringing cookies, pie, or something of that nature, so I put my thinking cap on and surfed the web for ideas.

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks pumpkins.

20101005IMG 8987 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

This was super easy to make and quite delicious. I doubled the batch below so I could have some to enjoy myself. This will be fantastic spread onto pancakes, toast, or even layered with Vegan Overnight Oats! The possibilities are endless, and I plan to find them all. ;) Note that I reduced the sugar by 1/3 of a cup as I didn’t want it super sweet. You can adjust the sugar and seasonings to your own taste of course.

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen.

Ingredients:

• 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree, approx. 3 1/2 cups or fresh
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/2-1.5 teaspoons ground ginger (optional, sometimes I omit)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice

Directions:

1. Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil, covered with lid ajar (I prop it with a wooden spoon). Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer, covered with lid ajar, for 35-45 minutes, stirring frequently. Be careful as the mixture bubbles and pops!

2. Remove from heat and let it sit for a few minutes before removing lid. Adjust spices to taste. Stir in lemon juice. Once cool, pumpkin butter can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Makes enough to fill one large mason jar or about 3.5 cups.

Note: Canning is not recommended.

Get your super cute Mason jar and set aside…

20101005IMG 8965 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

20101005IMG 8963 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Dump everything into the pot except the fresh lemon juice. Once the mixture is cooked it will be thick and creamy!

20101005IMG 8970 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Allow your pumpkin butter to cool before putting it into your Mason jar.

20101005IMG 8997 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter 20101005IMG 9017 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Wheeeeeeeee.

20101005IMG 8998 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Now decorate your jar with curly ribbon and a tag…

20101005IMG 9022 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

20101005IMG 9020 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Disgustingly cute, I would say.

20101005IMG 9034 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Hmm, what is that white circle on top of the jar?

20101005IMG 9021 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

The recipe!

20101005IMG 9025 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

And there you have it.

20101005IMG 9019 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

A simple and quick hostess gift that can be enjoyed all season long. Just don’t forget to make a batch for yourself! ;)

Freya October 5, 2010

If I was small enough to live in a jar, I’d live in that one. That looks SO delicious! What a lovely gift :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 5, 2010

what a perfect gift! i think i know what i’m making today :) thanks for the great recipe!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 5, 2010

Such a gorgeous presentation! This is one of my favorite parts of Fall!

JenATX October 5, 2010

so excited to go grocery shopping today so i can buy a ton of mini pumpkins and spread them about my apartment :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies October 5, 2010

Ohh – this would make such a lovely gift!

Ashley October 5, 2010

LOVE this. Wow, I didn’t know pumpkin butter was SO easy to make because I know apple butter is quite intensive. Definitely going to make this! :) Love the color too!

Laura @ Tidbits October 5, 2010

I just love this! Such a great idea!
I am so excited for Thanksgiving this weekend! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 5, 2010

I am so stoked for thanksgiving. This recipe looks pretty awesome! I would love to try it!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 5, 2010

What a cute gift! I love how you put the recipe on the top as well. Once I find more pumpkin, I’ll be making this for sure!

Charlie October 5, 2010

I’m adding pumpkin to everything these days and this seems delicious! One more pumpkin recipe to make ;).

Estela @ Weekly Bite October 5, 2010

I JUST asked on my blog if anyone had a good recipe for homemade pumpkin butter!

Thank You! Thank You!!!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 5, 2010

I was totally thinking of you when I read this. Now I want to make this pumpkin butter and your sandwich. Yum!

Ashley Craft October 5, 2010

What a great idea!! I’ve been searching for cute, simple, (yummy!), & meaningful gift ideas… this is perfect! :)

melissa @ the delicate place October 5, 2010

mmmm i love pumpkin buttaaaa! had no idea it was so easy to make! i would probably drink that jar lol

Rachel (tea and chocolate) October 5, 2010

Oh wow I didn’t know how easy it was to make pumpkin butter! Will be making this.

Amanda October 5, 2010

A simple hostess gift, yes. A way to not have to buy store bought pumpkin butter, also yes. Thank you! :-)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats October 5, 2010

what a great idea!

Hilary October 5, 2010

I’ve been wanting to make pumpkin butter for ooooh about 2 years now. Maybe this will be THE year :) Thanks for reminding me about it!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) October 5, 2010

What an adorable idea!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) October 5, 2010

OHMIGOSH ANGE… I CAN COMMENT AGAIN!!! Yay!

So to finish my comment… that punkin butter looks delicious, please save me some ;)
Actually, I should probably make my own because I would love to give some out to my hostess/family this thanksgiving! Awesome idea!

xoxo
Kris

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2010

Ahhhhhh!!!!
What do you think happened?? That is so weird!! Im so happy to see your comments :)

Abby October 5, 2010

How long do you think this would this last in the fridge?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2010

Im not certain but Smitten Kitchen offers a way to preserve it on her original post that I linked to. :)

“To preserve: Spoon hot pumpkin mixture into hot jars, filling to within 1/4 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.”

cortney September 7, 2013

Another way to can them is just put the pumpkin in really hot put the lid on and cover with a towel and they will seal themselves that’s how we do it at home. Sometimes a couple won’t seal but we just take it off and try again or just throw those in the fridge to use first

Michelle November 12, 2013

This method of canning is extremely dangerous! I have been judging canned goods at county fairs for 16 years and I am only telling you this out of concern. Please, please do not use this method to can anything! The chance of making a person sick is much higher! As a side note, pumpkin butter is not considered a safe product to “can”. It is safe in the refrigerator or freezer. As a side note, responding to a previous comment, changing the amount of sugar, spices, or acid (lemon juice for example) in any recipe that you will be “canning” (hot water bath or pressure canner) is not a safe practice. The sugar content as well as the acidity of the product is measured precisely in recipes and changing that could end up making a person sick.

Chelsea at Striking Balance October 5, 2010

Yum! I’ve always wanted to try pumpkin butter. What better time than now when I have a recipe I can make on my own rather than pay an arm and leg for it at Whole Foods :)Thanks!

Shanna, Like Banana October 5, 2010

This idea is beyond adorable and would make really cute table settings if you used smaller mason jars on Thanksgiving Day..so cute and creative!

It really does look phonenomenal too =)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 5, 2010

Oh my goodness, this would make SUCH a cute hostess present! Love it!

Marie-Sophie October 5, 2010

Lovely gift!! I will have to make pumpkin puree (no canned pumpkin in Germany, no Sir :-( ) and just give it out to people – as we don’t have Thanksgiving here I’ll be celebrating my own little feast! :-)

Oh, and I bet it would also work with the recipe stuck to the bottom – then your lid would be all shiny and beautiful! ;-)

Gillian October 5, 2010

I almost bought some pumpkin butter in Ohio and then I declared “I’ll make it myself!” I’ve been wanting to make this forever but have been to intimidated…so thank you!!! Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 5, 2010

I’m a huge fan of TJ’s Pumpkin Butter, but it is a bit sweet (a little goes a long way) – what a fantastic , homemade alternative! Your photos just gave me the warm fuzzies.

Farrah October 5, 2010

You must be a mind reader! Just this morning I was hoping you had a pumpkin butter recipe in your repertoire. I can’t wait to try this!

Leanne @ Simplicitlee October 5, 2010

Is Sucanat a replacement for sugar? If so, where do you get it in Canada?

This looks tasty! & I love the personal touch of the “Happy Thanksgiving” note on the mason jar.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 5, 2010

I love giving gifts in jars — and this pumpkin butter looks delicious!

I hate giving STUFF to people for gifts (unless there is something they asked for) — only because we all have so much stuff that I like to give things people can use up: food, alcohol (!), concert tickets or cash!

Wei-Wei October 5, 2010

This looks AMAZINGLY delicious! I’ve never had pumpkin butter before, believe it or not. I wonder if I could make sweet potato butter…

Amber K October 5, 2010

Ahh…I forgot it is earlier in Canada! I was thinking, what’s with all of the Thanksgiving stuff? lol

Kaye S. October 5, 2010

Awesome idea. Just what I was looking for..Is there a way to seal the jar so that it can be stored in the cupboard until ready to use? Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe.

gayle bartosh October 13, 2013

Why can’t I can it?

Michelle November 12, 2013

There is a link that states why this product should not be canned.

:) Happy Fall!!

AGS October 5, 2010

Thanks for the recipe. I purchased some pumpkin butter this Sunday, and it was cloyingly sweet (more so than another brand I purchased last year). As is typical for me, I immediately thought, “I could make this better from scratch.” Behold: your perfectly time post. It made me smile. And it made me hungry, too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2010

Glad the timing was good :) Enjoy making it, its fun!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 5, 2010

Love it! I would love to try to make pumpkin butter starting with a pumpkin – however, using canned pumpkin would be much quicker.

Jemma @ Celeryandcupcakes.wordpress.com October 5, 2010

That pumpkin butter looks amazing! I’ve tried pumpkin seen butter before but not butter made from the actually pumpkin flesh. Thank you for the recipe! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 5, 2010

What a great idea! I love it!

Jenny- About a Girl Finding her Healthy October 5, 2010

I am a huge fan of pumpkin and will definitely be making this and adding it to my fall recipes, thank you! :-) As usual, you come up with (adapt) the best recipes!

Halley (Blunder Construction) October 5, 2010

BEAUTIFUL. You are going to make all the other seasons jealous! Your autumn recipes are completely gorgeous and delicious.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 5, 2010

I’m a tad jealous this weekend’s your Thanksgiving..you think it’d be alright for me to celebrate over here with you guys? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2010

Why of course!

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 5, 2010

That is too stinking cute!! I love the ribbon and recipe idea!

Page 1 of 41234»