Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

20100928IMG 3584 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

Two weeks before we got hitched, I made 375 Soft Ginger Cookies.

For some crazy idea unbeknownst to me, I decided that I was going to bake all of our guests delicious wedding favours as a token of our appreciation for their attendance.

How hard could it be, right?

20100928IMG 3577 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

[Is it creepy that I saved two of these favours and I still have them 2 years later!?]

Don’t answer that. ;)

Amazingly, I finished the favours just in the nick of time with special thanks to my ‘Little Elves’ who worked tirelessly wrapping and labelling the cookies…

IMG 8354 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

The girls and I tended to more important things, like getting our hands and feet polished for the big day…

IMG 8405 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

…getting our hair buffed…

IMG 7939 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

And curled into a coif…

IMG 7941 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

…celebrating on the town…

IMG 7658 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

And trying not to get too confused at the wedding rehearsal…

IMG 0496 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

IMG 0502 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

IMG 0486 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

Not long after our entrance into the reception ballroom, I realized that many of our guests had already dug into the cookies and polished off every last crumb! [I swear we didn’t deprive them of appetizers either!]

These were just some darn good cookies.

Our guests went a little crazy over them…

080831 1985b thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

080831 1984 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

As did the boys…

080831 0783 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

080831 2003 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

[However, that could have been the wine talking, I can’t be sure.]

Eric’s Uncle Steve came up to me during the reception and told me something I will never forget:

“Angela, I didn’t think I would ever say this, but these Ginger Cookies are better than my mother’s ginger cookies that I grew up eating my whole life…’

Again, that could have been the wine talking.

All I remember thinking is, ‘Ohhh, yo mama gonna whip yo ass.’

20100928IMG 3585 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

20100928IMG 3569 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

20100928IMG 3573 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

20100928IMG 3570 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

20100928IMG 3572 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

The first batch I made last night turned out ok, but not perfect. They were cracked and not as moist as I wanted them to be…I knew another trial was necessary.

20100928IMG 3597 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

20100928IMG 3590 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

This morning I was back at it at 5:45am, making my second batch!!!

20100929IMG 3600 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

Luckily this batch turned out just right.

20100929IMG 3606 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

I was so smitten by them, I crumbled a ginger cookie on top of my Gingerbread Vegan Overnight Oats!

20100929IMG 3614 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

Outrageous.

20100929IMG 3610 thumb   Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

And now I shall squeeze in a run before I get baking Glo Bars. It is finally not raining outside so I think I might have to hit the great outdoors and bundle up in my warm running clothes. I need some sunshine in a major way.

Have you ever baked or cooked something for a large group of people? What did you make and what was it for?

Jessica @ How Sweet September 29, 2010

I made ginger cookies for the first time last year and we LOVED them! I gotta try yours since they sound like they were a hit!

Nicole @ Yuppie Yogini September 29, 2010

I made chocolate chip cookies for a wedding once, not nearly 375, but 150 or so. Plus, I wasn’t the bride.
These cookies look really good and I’ve wanted to use up my molasses.

maria @ Chasing the Now September 29, 2010

Love reading the story behind these cookies. They look delicious! :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 29, 2010

It’s the best compliment ever when someone tells you they are better than their mothers. Now I need to adjust the recipe for my sugar problems and I’m off to try them :-)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 29, 2010

YUM! i’ll have to try these and see if they’re better ;) but the cookie press looks so fun!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 29, 2010

These sound heavenly. I’ve been stalking all of your recipes lately and they always give me the urge to cook or bake!! Which is awesome, except when it’s 11 pm and I still haven’t done my homework ;) Bookmarked these though!!

I do all the desserts for all our family gatherings each year. Baking for crowd is what I do best!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 29, 2010

Ooh I want to make these! I LOVE ginger cookies :D

Allison @ Food For Healing September 29, 2010

oh man i couldn’t imagine baking THAT many cookies, but at least everyone enjoyed them, then it would be worth it. I love ginger cookies.

Gillian Young September 29, 2010

These look amazing, I’ll have to try your recipe! I cooked for 80 people one summer for a dinner party at Douglas Copland’s house! We had pounds of herbs for a tabouleh, meatballs in every oven…it was madness but so fun!

Kristy @ KristyRuns September 29, 2010

Oh, these cookies will definitely be making an appearance at my house this holiday season! ;)

The only thing I’ve made for a big crowd is lasagna…super easy and great for tons of people!

Tina September 29, 2010

I love ginger snaps, but prefer soft cookies so these sound perfect.

And all the wedding pictures are great!

melissa @ the delicate place September 29, 2010

i love all things ginger and those look divine! bravo for taking that on before your wedding! you crazy! ;) i once had to bake all the cookies for a fundraising bakesale i organized. i spent 6am-10pm on a sunday packaging, mixing, baking all the cookies in my dorm kitchen because all the people supposed to help bailed! it was rough but the sale was a huge success! we sold out in 2 hrs!

coco September 29, 2010

those ginger snaps look fantastic!!!
beautiful pics as usual.

Angela, I have a question. Where do you get ideas of wrapping baked goodies for gift? I’ve been searching online to see tutorials about how to wrap homemade goodies for gift and i couldn’t find anything useful. How do you wrap it?
Thanks! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010

I believe we cut 12 inch squares of clear cellophane, gathered all sides and tied with curly ribbon (the label was already threaded onto the ribbon before this). Then we took scissors and curled the ends.

Christine September 29, 2010

Hmm, I did a Christmas dinner for 21 last year. I made all vegetarian sides and a butternut squash lasagna and I even stuck the (already cooked) spiral ham in the oven for those in the family that eat meat.

Not for a lot of people but I cooked elaborate 5 course vegetarian meals for my family of 5 all throughout high school.

I even did Thanksgiving dinner when I was 18 right after my mother was diagnosed with cancer and we decided not to make the trip in to see the rest of the family. Again, I went all vegetarian including a walnut/onion/mushroom loaf as the main course–but also cooked a small turkey breast so the rest of the family could at least get their taste of turkey. (FYI – she is *almost* at 3 years cancer free–so– happy ending)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010

Great story!!!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 29, 2010

It’s so fun to see your passion come through baking and blogging about it;) And such fun wedding pictures. Every time I get to the bottom of your posts I’m grinning from ear to ear!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) September 29, 2010

I love ginger cookies and the fact that you made them for the wedding! Homemade wedding gifts are so special. Last year my husband and I canned a TON of jars of homemade apple butter to give as favors at our wedding. It was stressful but worth every moment!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 29, 2010

I once baked a giant cookie for an old boyfriend on our anniversary…he laughed at me and told me it was silly. I’m glad we’re not together anymore. haha However, I ate it – and it WAS delicious. These ginger cookies sound amaaazing! Must try!

elena September 29, 2010

These sound and looks SOOOOOOOOO good! Will have to try this weekend.

Alex @ La Beauté September 29, 2010

Two years ago I was a bridesmaid in my cousin’s wedding. I made 12 dozen chocolate chip oatmeal pumpkin cookies as wedding favors for the out of town guests…they are the perfect autumn cookie!

Tami September 29, 2010

my mom made 17 cakes for the centerpieces at our wedding. Each table had their own cake to eat whenever they wanted and it was fabulous! Everyone knew my love of cake and they were happy to eat cake whenever they wanted. those cookies look great!

Ange @ Health & Swellbeing September 29, 2010

Ahh – such a sweet post!! I love this recipe and can’t wait to make them closer to the Holidays!

Joy September 29, 2010

What a coincidence! I have recently fallen in love with your blog, but for my wedding last December, I baked ginger cookies as favors for my guests, too. Just a few months later, I was diagnosed with celiac, so now I have to figure out how to make them gluten free… you’ve reminded me of that need! Better get experimenting…

tara September 29, 2010

Those look delicious. I am surprised you don’t LOVE running in the rain. I DO!! I live on the east coast of Canada so we get our fair share of rain too. It’s honestly one of my favourite times to run (unless I am doing a real loooong run… then it gets old. quick.). The snow is a close second for me… so maybe I am just a little nutty! You should try it out a few times, you may just love it :)

RhodeyGirl September 29, 2010

I love the story behind this post. :)

Lisa September 29, 2010

Those look so good! I don’t even like ginger cookies, and I would NOT MIND eating those Haha! =) You must have been so tired after baking all those girl! Its a good thing you had your family to help!

faith @ gracefulfitness September 29, 2010

Last August I cooked (with many helpers) the dinner for my sister’s wedding with 300 attendees! But wait, not only did I cook, I also harvested. The green beans, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, pesto basil, and salad fixins’ came out of my dad’s garden! I still can’t believe we pulled that one off…

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 29, 2010

I love all of your wedding photos!! The cookies look so so good. I have a recipe for ginger-ish type cookies that I make at Christmas time, and I’ve made them in very large batches before. They always turn out really well (unless I happen to get distracted and forget about them in the oven!) and are fun to decorate. :)

Little Bookworm September 29, 2010

Those cookies sound amazing. Definitely bookmarking the recipe! :)

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats September 29, 2010

Those cookies look amazing! And you are so brave to have taken on such a grand task for your own wedding as bake all your own favors. It looked like you had quite the crowd to bake for, too! I probably would only consider doing that if there was a short guest list.

Julie September 29, 2010

what do you suggest using in place of the earth balance & ground chia/flax? im looking to make these today

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010

Non vegan subs:

Earth balance = butter

Chia/flax egg = egg

Not sure about vegan subs. Perhaps an egg replacer and vegan margarine.

lisasfoods September 29, 2010

What wonderful wedding favors. I love to receive homemade gifts, especially food! I haven’t done much baking for large groups of people, but have been toying with the idea of baking granola for my holiday gifts this year. Still figuring out the best recipe.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 29, 2010

Mmmm! I love ginger cookies.

I made 6 batches of cookies to sell for the CIBC Run for the Cure findraiser my team was having. By batch 2 I wanted to own a bakery but by batch 5 I had changed my mind!! :)

Jess September 29, 2010

that’s amazing you made so many cookies for your own wedding!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 29, 2010

I’ve baked 12 dozen cookies for my local police department — I had interned there for college and I wanted to say thank you. Lets just say the officers/staff could EAT so I had to make a ton. it was fun though — I just stayed up super late the night before baking them fresh.

My mom baked the dessert for our wedding — hundreds and hundreds of lemon cream cheese bars. They are my absolute favorite treat ever and she made them all for us! Yum.

Alana September 29, 2010

I am totally making those cookies. They look delish!

Kath Younger September 29, 2010

I absolutely LOVE those kind of cookies, and the way you crumbled them on top of your oats – OMG – I need that!

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 29, 2010

The most I ever made was a pasta salad for 8, haha. Can’t say I’ve ever had to cook for more; kind of intimidated by it.

Those ginger cookies however look absolutely scrumptious. :-P

Karen September 29, 2010

Wow! this is an inspiring wedding story =) I was soo busy the last week before my wedding! I admire you for taking the time to make homemade favors! These look delicious, and I really like your blog! Where is your bakery located, or is it all online? Have a great day!

Jen @ Canoe of Life September 29, 2010

Those cookies look so yummy, I can’t believe you were already baking at 5:45am!

I made fudge for the 150 people that attended my wedding. I made four kinds and gave each guest a total of 8 pieces. I wouldn’t have been able to finish it all with all the help of my ‘elves’ either. It was totally worth the effort!

Janelle September 29, 2010

Those ginger cookies look SO much better than the boxed kind I made a few weeks ago! I finally got some molasses yesterday so I just made plans to bake those beauties today : ) perfect timing on this post for me. I love all your Fall inspired recipes, and were finally getting some fall weather in North Carolina. I’m ready to celebrate w/ some baking!

Page 1 of 3123»