Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 29, 2010

20100928-IMG_3584

Two weeks before we got hitched, I made 375 Soft Ginger Cookies.

For some crazy idea unbeknownst to me, I decided that I was going to bake all of our guests delicious wedding favours as a token of our appreciation for their attendance.

How hard could it be, right?

20100928-IMG_3577

[Is it creepy that I saved two of these favours and I still have them 2 years later!?]

Don’t answer that. ;)

Amazingly, I finished the favours just in the nick of time with special thanks to my ‘Little Elves’ who worked tirelessly wrapping and labelling the cookies…

IMG_8354

The girls and I tended to more important things, like getting our hands and feet polished for the big day…

IMG_8405

…getting our hair buffed…

IMG_7939

And curled into a coif…

IMG_7941

…celebrating on the town…

IMG_7658

And trying not to get too confused at the wedding rehearsal…

IMG_0496

IMG_0502

IMG_0486

Not long after our entrance into the reception ballroom, I realized that many of our guests had already dug into the cookies and polished off every last crumb! [I swear we didn’t deprive them of appetizers either!]

These were just some darn good cookies.

Our guests went a little crazy over them…

080831_1985b

080831_1984

As did the boys…

080831_0783

080831_2003

[However, that could have been the wine talking, I can’t be sure.]

Eric’s Uncle Steve came up to me during the reception and told me something I will never forget:

“Angela, I didn’t think I would ever say this, but these Ginger Cookies are better than my mother’s ginger cookies that I grew up eating my whole life…’

Again, that could have been the wine talking.

All I remember thinking is, ‘Ohhh, yo mama gonna whip yo ass.’

20100928-IMG_3585

20100928-IMG_3569

20100928-IMG_3573

20100928-IMG_3570

20100928-IMG_3572

The first batch I made last night turned out ok, but not perfect. They were cracked and not as moist as I wanted them to be…I knew another trial was necessary.

20100928-IMG_3597

20100928-IMG_3590

This morning I was back at it at 5:45am, making my second batch!!!

20100929-IMG_3600

Luckily this batch turned out just right.

20100929-IMG_3606

I was so smitten by them, I crumbled a ginger cookie on top of my Gingerbread Vegan Overnight Oats!

20100929-IMG_3614

Outrageous.

20100929-IMG_3610

And now I shall squeeze in a run before I get baking Glo Bars. It is finally not raining outside so I think I might have to hit the great outdoors and bundle up in my warm running clothes. I need some sunshine in a major way.

Have you ever baked or cooked something for a large group of people? What did you make and what was it for?

Jessica @ How Sweet September 29, 2010 at 7:45 am

I made ginger cookies for the first time last year and we LOVED them! I gotta try yours since they sound like they were a hit!

Nicole @ Yuppie Yogini September 29, 2010 at 7:46 am

I made chocolate chip cookies for a wedding once, not nearly 375, but 150 or so. Plus, I wasn’t the bride.
These cookies look really good and I’ve wanted to use up my molasses.

maria @ Chasing the Now September 29, 2010 at 7:47 am

Love reading the story behind these cookies. They look delicious! :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 29, 2010 at 7:47 am

It’s the best compliment ever when someone tells you they are better than their mothers. Now I need to adjust the recipe for my sugar problems and I’m off to try them :-)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 29, 2010 at 7:51 am

YUM! i’ll have to try these and see if they’re better ;) but the cookie press looks so fun!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 29, 2010 at 7:51 am

These sound heavenly. I’ve been stalking all of your recipes lately and they always give me the urge to cook or bake!! Which is awesome, except when it’s 11 pm and I still haven’t done my homework ;) Bookmarked these though!!

I do all the desserts for all our family gatherings each year. Baking for crowd is what I do best!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 29, 2010 at 7:52 am

Ooh I want to make these! I LOVE ginger cookies :D

Allison @ Food For Healing September 29, 2010 at 7:54 am

oh man i couldn’t imagine baking THAT many cookies, but at least everyone enjoyed them, then it would be worth it. I love ginger cookies.

Gillian Young September 29, 2010 at 7:55 am

These look amazing, I’ll have to try your recipe! I cooked for 80 people one summer for a dinner party at Douglas Copland’s house! We had pounds of herbs for a tabouleh, meatballs in every oven…it was madness but so fun!

Kristy @ KristyRuns September 29, 2010 at 7:55 am

Oh, these cookies will definitely be making an appearance at my house this holiday season! ;)

The only thing I’ve made for a big crowd is lasagna…super easy and great for tons of people!

Tina September 29, 2010 at 7:55 am

I love ginger snaps, but prefer soft cookies so these sound perfect.

And all the wedding pictures are great!

melissa @ the delicate place September 29, 2010 at 7:56 am

i love all things ginger and those look divine! bravo for taking that on before your wedding! you crazy! ;) i once had to bake all the cookies for a fundraising bakesale i organized. i spent 6am-10pm on a sunday packaging, mixing, baking all the cookies in my dorm kitchen because all the people supposed to help bailed! it was rough but the sale was a huge success! we sold out in 2 hrs!

coco September 29, 2010 at 7:58 am

those ginger snaps look fantastic!!!
beautiful pics as usual.

Angela, I have a question. Where do you get ideas of wrapping baked goodies for gift? I’ve been searching online to see tutorials about how to wrap homemade goodies for gift and i couldn’t find anything useful. How do you wrap it?
Thanks! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010 at 8:09 am

I believe we cut 12 inch squares of clear cellophane, gathered all sides and tied with curly ribbon (the label was already threaded onto the ribbon before this). Then we took scissors and curled the ends.

Christine September 29, 2010 at 7:59 am

Hmm, I did a Christmas dinner for 21 last year. I made all vegetarian sides and a butternut squash lasagna and I even stuck the (already cooked) spiral ham in the oven for those in the family that eat meat.

Not for a lot of people but I cooked elaborate 5 course vegetarian meals for my family of 5 all throughout high school.

I even did Thanksgiving dinner when I was 18 right after my mother was diagnosed with cancer and we decided not to make the trip in to see the rest of the family. Again, I went all vegetarian including a walnut/onion/mushroom loaf as the main course–but also cooked a small turkey breast so the rest of the family could at least get their taste of turkey. (FYI – she is *almost* at 3 years cancer free–so– happy ending)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010 at 8:07 am

Great story!!!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 29, 2010 at 8:01 am

It’s so fun to see your passion come through baking and blogging about it;) And such fun wedding pictures. Every time I get to the bottom of your posts I’m grinning from ear to ear!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) September 29, 2010 at 8:02 am

I love ginger cookies and the fact that you made them for the wedding! Homemade wedding gifts are so special. Last year my husband and I canned a TON of jars of homemade apple butter to give as favors at our wedding. It was stressful but worth every moment!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 29, 2010 at 8:02 am

I once baked a giant cookie for an old boyfriend on our anniversary…he laughed at me and told me it was silly. I’m glad we’re not together anymore. haha However, I ate it – and it WAS delicious. These ginger cookies sound amaaazing! Must try!

elena September 29, 2010 at 8:05 am

These sound and looks SOOOOOOOOO good! Will have to try this weekend.

Alex @ La Beauté September 29, 2010 at 8:05 am

Two years ago I was a bridesmaid in my cousin’s wedding. I made 12 dozen chocolate chip oatmeal pumpkin cookies as wedding favors for the out of town guests…they are the perfect autumn cookie!

Tami September 29, 2010 at 8:07 am

my mom made 17 cakes for the centerpieces at our wedding. Each table had their own cake to eat whenever they wanted and it was fabulous! Everyone knew my love of cake and they were happy to eat cake whenever they wanted. those cookies look great!

Ange @ Health & Swellbeing September 29, 2010 at 8:08 am

Ahh – such a sweet post!! I love this recipe and can’t wait to make them closer to the Holidays!

Joy September 29, 2010 at 8:10 am

What a coincidence! I have recently fallen in love with your blog, but for my wedding last December, I baked ginger cookies as favors for my guests, too. Just a few months later, I was diagnosed with celiac, so now I have to figure out how to make them gluten free… you’ve reminded me of that need! Better get experimenting…

tara September 29, 2010 at 8:11 am

Those look delicious. I am surprised you don’t LOVE running in the rain. I DO!! I live on the east coast of Canada so we get our fair share of rain too. It’s honestly one of my favourite times to run (unless I am doing a real loooong run… then it gets old. quick.). The snow is a close second for me… so maybe I am just a little nutty! You should try it out a few times, you may just love it :)

RhodeyGirl September 29, 2010 at 8:14 am

I love the story behind this post. :)

Lisa September 29, 2010 at 8:16 am

Those look so good! I don’t even like ginger cookies, and I would NOT MIND eating those Haha! =) You must have been so tired after baking all those girl! Its a good thing you had your family to help!

faith @ gracefulfitness September 29, 2010 at 8:16 am

Last August I cooked (with many helpers) the dinner for my sister’s wedding with 300 attendees! But wait, not only did I cook, I also harvested. The green beans, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, pesto basil, and salad fixins’ came out of my dad’s garden! I still can’t believe we pulled that one off…

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 29, 2010 at 8:17 am

I love all of your wedding photos!! The cookies look so so good. I have a recipe for ginger-ish type cookies that I make at Christmas time, and I’ve made them in very large batches before. They always turn out really well (unless I happen to get distracted and forget about them in the oven!) and are fun to decorate. :)

Little Bookworm September 29, 2010 at 8:19 am

Those cookies sound amazing. Definitely bookmarking the recipe! :)

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats September 29, 2010 at 8:20 am

Those cookies look amazing! And you are so brave to have taken on such a grand task for your own wedding as bake all your own favors. It looked like you had quite the crowd to bake for, too! I probably would only consider doing that if there was a short guest list.

Julie September 29, 2010 at 8:20 am

what do you suggest using in place of the earth balance & ground chia/flax? im looking to make these today

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010 at 8:45 am

Non vegan subs:

Earth balance = butter

Chia/flax egg = egg

Not sure about vegan subs. Perhaps an egg replacer and vegan margarine.

lisasfoods September 29, 2010 at 8:28 am

What wonderful wedding favors. I love to receive homemade gifts, especially food! I haven’t done much baking for large groups of people, but have been toying with the idea of baking granola for my holiday gifts this year. Still figuring out the best recipe.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 29, 2010 at 8:32 am

Mmmm! I love ginger cookies.

I made 6 batches of cookies to sell for the CIBC Run for the Cure findraiser my team was having. By batch 2 I wanted to own a bakery but by batch 5 I had changed my mind!! :)

Jess September 29, 2010 at 8:32 am

that’s amazing you made so many cookies for your own wedding!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 29, 2010 at 8:36 am

I’ve baked 12 dozen cookies for my local police department — I had interned there for college and I wanted to say thank you. Lets just say the officers/staff could EAT so I had to make a ton. it was fun though — I just stayed up super late the night before baking them fresh.

My mom baked the dessert for our wedding — hundreds and hundreds of lemon cream cheese bars. They are my absolute favorite treat ever and she made them all for us! Yum.

Alana September 29, 2010 at 8:38 am

I am totally making those cookies. They look delish!

Kath Younger September 29, 2010 at 8:39 am

I absolutely LOVE those kind of cookies, and the way you crumbled them on top of your oats – OMG – I need that!

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 29, 2010 at 8:42 am

The most I ever made was a pasta salad for 8, haha. Can’t say I’ve ever had to cook for more; kind of intimidated by it.

Those ginger cookies however look absolutely scrumptious. :-P

Karen September 29, 2010 at 8:54 am

Wow! this is an inspiring wedding story =) I was soo busy the last week before my wedding! I admire you for taking the time to make homemade favors! These look delicious, and I really like your blog! Where is your bakery located, or is it all online? Have a great day!

Jen @ Canoe of Life September 29, 2010 at 8:56 am

Those cookies look so yummy, I can’t believe you were already baking at 5:45am!

I made fudge for the 150 people that attended my wedding. I made four kinds and gave each guest a total of 8 pieces. I wouldn’t have been able to finish it all with all the help of my ‘elves’ either. It was totally worth the effort!

Janelle September 29, 2010 at 8:59 am

Those ginger cookies look SO much better than the boxed kind I made a few weeks ago! I finally got some molasses yesterday so I just made plans to bake those beauties today : ) perfect timing on this post for me. I love all your Fall inspired recipes, and were finally getting some fall weather in North Carolina. I’m ready to celebrate w/ some baking!

Chelsea at Striking Balance September 29, 2010 at 9:05 am

Yum! Ginger cookies are one of my favourite cookies, especially around Christmas time. So delicious.

I’ve never made anything for that large of a group of people. However, every Christmas I spend days on end baking about 10-12 different treats (cookies, squares, etc) and make treat platters for close family and friends. :)

stacey-healthylife September 29, 2010 at 9:09 am

That’s a great story. Those cookies look so good and I love the new cookie press.

Katie September 29, 2010 at 9:11 am

Cutest post ever!!!!!!! :)

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) September 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

Gingerbread cookies are my faaaaaavourite. I’m always looking for new recipes to try. My mom’s friend makes *the best* gingerbread cookies and I begged her to give me the recipe – only I wish she hadn’t because the list was pretty scary. I am definitely going to give these a try — including the part where I crumble some in my breakfast!! :D

Camille September 29, 2010 at 9:16 am

I don’t think I have ever had ginger cookies! I have some sort of mental aversion to ginger…

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 29, 2010 at 9:19 am

Hmm, I’m getting married next year and I haven’t found any favors that I like yet. I think I may have just found a winner :) Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

[email protected] September 29, 2010 at 9:28 am

Awesome.
I had a similar inspiration for my wedding- I made the cake! It was a 3-tier, the whole she-bang. 14 inch, 10 inch and six inch layers. It was a fun project for me- and my now-husband helped me a lot in the prep work!

OSGMOM September 29, 2010 at 9:32 am

It’s not creepy to save wedding favours. I still have your wedding Ginger cookies in our freezer as a keepsake. I think it’s the trait of being sentimental. Loved this post & pics which brought a big smile to my face — such nice memories of your day!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 29, 2010 at 9:36 am

I made baskets of sweets for all most of my relatives last year at Christmas. In them were: lemon ricotta cookies, mocha fudge, peppermint biscotti, peppermint bark, and sugar cookies with royal icing. I don’t know if you can tell-but I am super proud of them, haha. It was a lot of fun but A LOT of work. STill looking forward to doing it this year, though :D

Ginger cookies look amazing, by the way. They might be making an appearance in this year’s Christmas basket!!

Lin September 29, 2010 at 9:36 am

Giving cookies as wedding favors is such a great idea! I would have probably given up after making 50 and given the rest of my guests chips ahoy :-P. (If I were feeling generous they’d get pepperidge farm ones lol)

Wei-Wei September 29, 2010 at 9:37 am

Amaaaaaazing. I just have to get myself some ground ginger and try these!

Jemma @ Celeryandcupcakes.wordpress.com September 29, 2010 at 9:42 am

Gingerbread cookies are so yummy and yours look devine! I recently made a huge batch of coconut cupcake, which went down well with the family. The recipe is below…

I love your blog by the way, so many tasty recipes!

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious September 29, 2010 at 9:46 am

your ginger cookies look tasty. i just made these too!! i’m addicted to the chewy, spicy goodness. great idea putting it on VOO. wish i could but my batch is gone already…..

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 29, 2010 at 9:50 am

Wow what an impressive job to take on pre wedding! your cookies look and sound amazing! Perfect fall cookie :)

Shanna, like Banana September 29, 2010 at 9:51 am

I loved the story you paired with this recipe and the photos! Made me smile.

Making a good ginger cookie is no small feat. I think ginger and molasses cookies are the hardest to bake..major kudos to you =)

jenna September 29, 2010 at 9:53 am

these look soo good! do you know if blackstrap molasses goes bad? i’ve had some for a very long time and i’m not sure if it’s even good anymore.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries September 29, 2010 at 10:01 am

I LOVE ginger cookies. I’ll have to keep these in mind as the holidays approach. Thanks, Angela!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston September 29, 2010 at 10:02 am

My wedding was in my home town in Pennsylvania… there we have a tradition of a “cookie table” at our wedding. I lived at home the month before the wedding and was able to bake and freeze / bake and freeze / and so on until the wedding day! I madeeee hundreds and hundreds and golly maybe 10 different types?

Jessica September 29, 2010 at 10:04 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made some ginger cookies recently and they were awful! I think that I may have messed them up, but I am scared to use that recipe again.

Nic September 29, 2010 at 10:26 am

Yep, my husband and I throw a Christmas party every year for our friends. It’s never been anywhere near the number of people at your wedding, but when you are used to cooking for two, cooking for a group of 20 can get intense!

BTW- those cookies look pretty unbelieveably good :)

Emily September 29, 2010 at 10:28 am

These look and sound wonderful! I love the idea of baking favors for a wedding, even if it is crazy amounts of work. My mom, aunt, grandmother, and I have a tradition of baking Christmas cookies every year for all our friends and family. We each bring the ingredients for a different kind of cookie and work together to make big batches and them plate them up to give out as gifts, so fun! I love that this is a vegan recipe and am definitely excited to try it this year instead of our non-vegan molasses cookies :)

Gillian Young September 29, 2010 at 10:31 am

Do you think coconut oil would work in place of earth balance?

JL Goes Vegan September 29, 2010 at 10:32 am

What a wonderful memory! (and gift to your friends and family) Thanks for making it vegan and sharing it with us! :)

Kathryn September 29, 2010 at 10:38 am

I bet you didn’t know the way to my heart is through my stomach and the golden ticket is a ginger cookie. There is a coffee shop here in CA that has huge soft ginger cookies and they tease me every time I go in for coffee or tea. I’ve tried a few recipies but nothing comes close…these look pretty close. I’ll be baking this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing this, really you have no idea how you made my day!

Ali September 29, 2010 at 10:48 am

Cute Post!!!! I have never made anything for over 40 or so people. I think I would get anxiety :(

Sarah September 29, 2010 at 10:48 am

I made oreo truffles for a friend’s wedding favors. I didn’t really have a place to put them, so I was doing them the night before- AFTER the rehearsal dinner. Not a good plan!

Theresa OBrien September 29, 2010 at 11:02 am

Ginger cookies are my favorite! I will definitely be making these! I love this post, it was so cleverly written :) Also…who is the guy holding Eric up in the wedding photo, all the way to the right…he is so cute! ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010 at 11:04 am

haha that is Eric’s brother…he just got engaged! ;)

Paige @ RAN September 29, 2010 at 11:18 am

Those pictures are classic. I am sure they were amazing, and what a clever – and appropriate gift!

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 29, 2010 at 11:22 am

Aw how sweet! I made vegan ginger cookies once, and my mom loved them, so I may have to try these for her as well!

[email protected] September 29, 2010 at 11:41 am

Your breakfast bowl LOOKS outrageous. Those ginger cookies must have been dang good, looking at how everyone at your wedding went crazy over them :D

I’ve made frosted pumpkin cookies for a large Christmas dinner before. Everyone loved them! It’s always a great feeling when your dish is a hit.

Crystal September 29, 2010 at 11:42 am

Oh thank you for sharing!! In a past post you asked us what food we we love veganized and I answered gingersnap cookies. :) I will be trying these out for sure!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 29, 2010 at 11:49 am

The gingerbread cookies look amazing!!! I love gingerbread cookies, totally reminds me of my childhood with my grandma and baking together!

I love that they’re vegan and therefore I could just eat the dough raw. nothing like an ooey gooey cooking in my book :)

The flour is regular flour; I wonder how they’d come out if I tried to use a GF flour. I normally just wing it with a blend of GF flours, ground oats for oat flour, or almond flour but in these, I can see where white flour would really be best as you mentioned….so I guess I will just have to try them and see, huh!

I cant believe as the BRIDE with all the bridal stress, you made these for your guests?!! Omg!!! you’re amazing!

christine April 22, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Just tried this recipe with namaste brand GF flour and it worked out very well…they were delicious! My son is on a top 8 allergy free elimination diet so I used some quinoa milk in place of the nut milk for the flax egg as well.

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 29, 2010 at 11:50 am

Wow, it must have taken you ages to bake homemade wedding favours! It must have been nice to make them again and remember your big day. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm

You sure were ambitious! I thought about being the baker for our wedding favors, then realized a donation was so much easier!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA September 29, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I made hundreds of cookies for Christmas last year, and I just made them when I had time and froze them. I made 10 types of cookies and gave assortments to everyone I wanted to give a gift to. They were a big hit.

rachael September 29, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Such a cute post! Thanks for the recipe!

[email protected] knackfornutrition September 29, 2010 at 12:23 pm

You’re wedding pictures are great! I love that you called getting your hair done “buffed.” In the south (I’m from Arkansas), we call it “poofing” and it is a serious talent!

Ashley September 29, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Angela,

HILARIOUS!! That’s MY dad with the crazy face! LOL.
I have been following your blog for some time now and absolutely LOVE it.
OSG mom and my mom are good friends out here in Calgary!

Thanks for posting that pic, it made my day :)
-Ashley

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm

So nice to hear from you!! We’ll have to get together when I am out that way :)

Ashley September 29, 2010 at 6:16 pm

For sure!! I’d love to finally meet you :)
We have a boatload in common!

Erica Vore September 29, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I baked cookies for my mom’s wedding in 2008. She was having a Southwestern/cowboy theme for her reception so I made cactus sugar cookies. When I does I swore I would NEVER bake another cookie again!!!

katy September 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm

These look delicious! Have you ever tried making a harder version more like a gingersnap? Growing up we always stocked up on gingersnaps in the fall to dunk in milk :) It might be fun to try to recreate them.

I’m sure you hear this a lot, but I just wanted to let you know that I’ve been following your blog for awhile now and although I’ve never posted, I absolutely love it! You have been a big inspiration in my journey to a healthy lifestyle, and I just wanted to say thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm

aww thank you!

Gingersnaps would be fun too! I assume it might require rolling a less sticky dough to make them thin and using a cooking cutter perhaps?

theHealthyapron September 29, 2010 at 12:43 pm

What a great memory no? I loved looking at all your photos! Our 1 year anniversary is coming up on the 10th and I am getting so nostalgic! I decided to make buckeyes the day before my wedding (500 to be exact) and it was NUTS! We spent literally ELEVEN hours mixing, dipping, rolling, packaging, and tying. BUT, in the end, it was ALL worth it! Everyone loved them and I also saved a couple favors. Gross but I’m a keepsake kind of gal! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm

im glad im not the only one who kept the favours! haha they ‘keep’ surprisingly well…IE: They dont grow mold, just get hard ;)

robert zavarella September 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm

well it might of made ashlets day!!!!!! But all in good fun it was a great day for Linda and I, You might have posted me touching my toes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm

haha so glad you liked it!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm

My word those seem delicious. Gingersnaps are one of my favorite cookies so I have no doubt these are incredible. I’ve only baked for a semi-large crowd and in that case it’s a huge case of a bunch of different type of cookies. They never fail. :P

Amber K September 29, 2010 at 1:24 pm

WOW! You are amazing! I have never done a huge baking project like that. Especially before a big event like my own wedding! They look and sound fantastic.

Paije September 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Aaahh I have like super drool face right now! I am just OBSESSED (in a non creepy way) with your cookies and just finished eating all of the chocolate chip ones last night! I looove ginger cookies so I’ll def have to make these!

Veronique @ Hooked on Health September 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Aw your cookies look delicious and your wedding looks like it was so much fun!!
I’ve decided to make a Walnut Torte for Easter one year, for the entire family (it was like 45 people or so)… It was CRAZY! It wasn’t as big of a number as what you had, but when making a difficult dessert like a walnut torte, it was time consuming and very stressful. Needless to say, it turned out beautifully :)

Brittney September 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm

My family has a “spice cookie” recipe that is sort of like these. They are my Dad’s absolute favorite. The one thing I don’t like about that recipe is that it calls for quite a bit of Crisco, and Crisco kind of grosses me out. I might try yours as an alternative and see if they pass the “Dad test”. Sounds like they would!

[email protected] September 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Holy cow, those cookies look DIVINE! I’d totally be the person to bust into them right away :) I don’t mess around when it comes to cookies!

Julie September 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I once made over 1000 cookies (chocolate chip, oatmeal, and peanut butter) for a Christmas party at work. I baked cookies nearly non-stop for 2 days straight! And it’s not something I would do again.

Amari @ Eat Chic September 29, 2010 at 3:32 pm

These cookies look so yummy! Autumn is the perfect time to make ginger cookies! I’ve never had to bake anything for a large group, but it looks like you pulled it off with ease!

sassy molassy September 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Oh my lord…you have no idea how obsessed I am with ginger molasses cookies. I will be making these this week during my marathon taper since I don’t have much running to do! Thank YOU!

Bridget September 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I can not wait to try these! Thank you for perfecting them :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 29, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I love your wedding pics! Everyone looks like they’re having so much fun (or that may just be the wine talking ;))!

Also I adore ginger cookies! You can bet I’ll be making these sometime this fall!

Sava September 29, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I’ve never cooked anything for more than a few people,
but I can imagine how crazy that must be!

Cara Craves... September 29, 2010 at 6:46 pm

I also baked cookies as my wedding favors and for my sister’s as well.
For my wedding I made choc. chip oatmeal spice and peanut butter, for my sister’s
I made gingerbread snowflakes. Hard work, but totally worth it.

Susie September 29, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I made 150 4 oz. jars of apple butter for my sisters fall wedding!!

Laura September 29, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I love ginger cookies! Yum!!!! Too bad about the wheat flour not working, but ginger cookies are worth it!

I made a huge challah bread for my friend Kristen’s wedding. She used it in the ceremony, then we passed it around for everyone to share…literally broke bread together. The funny thing was, her ceremony was on the beach and the seagulls liked the look of the bread. They kept circling closer and closer!

Ashley September 30, 2010 at 12:49 am

These sound really similar to a recipe for molasses cookies that has been in our family for years. My dad and I make + ship them out to family, every Christmas. YUM!!!! Love your underlined suggestion about not using wwf :)

The Healthy Hostess September 30, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I had the same crazy idea! I made little wedding cake cookies for each guest and put them in a little clear box. 1 cookie cake x 240 guests x 6 cookies per cake = a CRAZY amount of cookies!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 30, 2010 at 10:35 pm

The most I have ever baked was probably for about 60 people. I made cake pops!

Ashley October 27, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I just wanted to say… these ginger cookies have been such a hit… with my family, my friends, and even my significant other!!! (And he is not usually a fan of anything “vegan!”) He actually said last night “You should make those ginger cookies again!” :)

emily April 23, 2012 at 6:53 pm

i have made these 3 times now! they are sooooooooo good, i added carob chips too which was really great. thank you for a wonderful recipe.

Diana August 14, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Wow they are awesome. Just made them today and they taste beyond my expectations. Thank you so much for the recipe.

Melissa Campbell September 1, 2013 at 4:46 pm

hi, Angela,

I was just wondering what kind of all-purpose flour you use in place of whole wheat all-purpose flour? is there a certain type or brand you would recommend? :)

Julie September 6, 2013 at 4:50 pm

My big baking projects always seem to revolve around the kids and school events. Since it seems I’m the only woman in Israel who has ever heard of basic holiday cookie dough (for making shaped and then iced snowmen, trees, pumpkins etc at the holidays), this is my go to recipe. Of course, having grown up in the States and not in a Jewish family may have something to do with my customs being different from the other mothers here ;-). The important thing is that the kids in school all think I’m the most fabulous baker in the world for bringing frosted dinosaur cookies to school (or frosted hearts, or frosted stars of David, etc). The fact that these cookies are soooo easy to make is neither here nor there in the world of being a hero in kids’ eyes ;-).

Sara September 7, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I love this idea for wedding favors! May I ask about how much it cost you to make them? We’re putting together our wedding budget now, but I have no idea how to budget for bulk-cookie making :-P

Katherine September 25, 2013 at 12:31 am

I have all the ingredients and want to make these for my boyfriend.
Is it really 1 teaspoon flax for the flax egg? (not tablespoon?)
Thanks!!

Adriana Guzman December 11, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Just made these with spelt flour instead of all-purpose, and they came out great!

Lihan May 7, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Hi Angela

I just found your blog today!! I’m planning to make your pumpkin chia dessert with these cookies and wanted to know how sweet the cookies were and would it be possible to leave out the sugar and if so, would leaving out all of it be ok or just some and use a replacement.
Thanks

Sarah December 21, 2014 at 9:53 pm

So easy and so yum! My go-to-recipe for edible gifts or to bring a bowl of goodies to a party. Speaking of, better get baking for tonight

Ekko February 24, 2015 at 7:13 am

Angela – Seriously the BEST Ginger Cookies EVER! I made these this past weekend. I only modified 3 things, The Earth Balance Butter, Ginger, Flour

Notes on mods: The 1/2 c Earth balance made it 1/4c (and added 1/4c Coconut oil)
I actually ran out of Ginger Powder only had about 3/4tsp (used 2 tsp of FRESH Ginger along with the little bit of powder I had)
The Flour = I used a combination since you stated the whole wheat flour made them tough, and typically if I do have a regular kind of flour thats the one I have. SO I used a combination (1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour, 1c Oat Flour, 1c White flour) I actually still had just a bit of white flour left yay.

I will say my cookies came out a lighter color that what yours appear to have and I know I put in the Blackstrap Molasses thats always my favorite – I remember licking the jar!

Christine April 22, 2017 at 1:31 pm

My son is top 8 allergy free right now so I used GF flour (Namaste brand) and also quinoa milk in place of nut milk. I also didn’t own a cookie press so I pressed them with the back of a round glass bottom by running it under hot water every now and again before pressing so as not to stick. They came out so well that my husband who is not on a restricted diet ate 1/2 the batch. Will definitely be making them again. Thanks for the recipe! I’ve posted it on an allergy free site I use and explained what I did to accommodate. :)

Lisa December 18, 2017 at 7:49 pm

I discovered these last year, my tummy isn’t really a fan of eggs and dairy so I tend to search for vegan dessert recipes. These are super yummy! This year I tried it with a GF 1-to-1 baking flour sub (and a few other minor substitutions since I didn’t have quite all of the ingredients. i.e. little less molasses and use brown sugar and some water instead of maple syrup.) Anyway the taste was fine but the texture seems a bit grainy. Still pretty soft and probably super enjoyable for GF eaters.
Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2017 at 8:38 am

Hey Lisa,
I also find that GF mixes can be a bit grainy. I’m glad they still worked out okay even with the swaps! If you find a GF flour that you find works really well I’d love to hear about it. Happy baking! :)