Home Is Where The Food Is

Good Day!

I wanted to show you a few of my purchases from Paris…

A cookie press!

20100923IMG 8614 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

I’m sensing vegan ginger cookies on the horizon! ;)

I also got a print of the Eiffel tower.

20100924IMG 8620 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

Sad story: My sister bought my mom and I each a gorgeous oil painting in Paris and we forgot them on our tour bus and no one turned them in. :( Major doh.

I also got a couple small prints and postcards. I am going to put one on my Vision Board.

20100924IMG 8622 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

and COFFEE ONLY Paris mugs!!!

20100923IMG 8617 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

Whenever you see these Paris mugs on my blog, you will know I am drinking COFFEE!!! ;)

[P.S.- I’m working on the coffee thing. Our coffee maker intimidates me….]

20100923IMG 8615 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

I bought a lot of this…

20100923IMG 8607 thumb1   Home Is Where The Food Is

I also bought gifts for family.

Home Is Where The Food Is:

When I return from a trip there are usually a handful of foods that I am dying to eat upon my return. I find for every trip, the list of foods I am craving differs depending on what I ate and also what I didn’t have access to while I was away.

So what was the first thing I ate when I got back from Paris?

A green monster?

Vegan overnight oats?

Nope!

The Ultimate Oatmeal Raisin Walnut Cookie, of course. ;)

20100911IMG 2878 thumb1   Home Is Where The Food Is

Sixty seconds after being home one of these was in my mouth.

I made Eric a batch before I left and he saved me one!

Ok, ok, he didn’t technically save me one; he didn’t know any were left and then I spotted it and nabbed it!

I leave no cookie undetected, my friends.

It was STILL moist and fresh after an entire week in Tupperware! It must be those walnuts adding a ton of moisture. This is my favourite cookie recipe yet.

After my cookie attack, I made Pumpkin Pie Vegan Overnight Oats with pure maple syrup! I was craving them all week.

20100924IMG 8628 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

Then I made a huge chickpea salad. Oh how I missed my little chickies.

20100923IMG 8603 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

Then I spent time with Sketchie! He was stuck to me like glue all night.

20100924IMG 8683 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

But that could have been because I was luring him with cat treats…I’ll just pretend he missed me…

After dinner, I headed to the grocery store to stock up on fruit!

20100924IMG 8637 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

Bananas, grapefruit, oranges, lemons, ginger, apples, etc.

When I get back from a trip, the first thing do is make sure that healthy foods are on hand. Luckily the fridge is overflowing with vegetables from our CSA so I didn’t have to buy many veggies.

I have also had plenty of these Pumpkin Pie Monsters.

20100926IMG 3430 thumb1   Home Is Where The Food Is

Today, I spotted Gena’s Butternut Squash Smoothie that I am dying to try with my leftover 2 pounds of b’nut squash. I’ll have to try it this week!

And a square of this each night…I am trying to make it last, but it is hard.

20100923IMG 8607 thumb1   Home Is Where The Food Is

My sis and I deemed this the best dark chocolate we have ever tasted. It is 85%, but I swear to you it tastes like 40-50%. Incroyable!

I’ve also been enjoying my Ezekiel toast with avocado, pepper, sea salt, and tomato paste.

20100924IMG 8663 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

And bananas and almond butter with cacao nibs:

20100924IMG 8670 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

Maple Butternut squash and apple casserole:

20100924IMG 8732 thumb1   Home Is Where The Food Is

Strawberry & Glonola Spinach Salad:

20100925IMG 3249 thumb1   Home Is Where The Food Is

And of course Tartes Aux Fraises!

20100925IMG 3353 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

Mmmmmmm!!!!

20100925IMG 3373 thumb1   Home Is Where The Food Is

These tarts are a must make. If you leave them in the fridge overnight the tart shell gets all soft and moist from the strawberries and the strawberry flavours infuse the crust. A dream I tell you.

Chickpea Pizza…

20100926IMG 3408 thumb   Home Is Where The Food Is

1.5 cups chickpeas + 1/3 cup pizza sauce + parsley + Sea salt + Ground pepper = Amazing and quick addition to any lunch.

And over-baked buttery Glonola apples

20100926IMG 3406 thumb1   Home Is Where The Food Is

Awww, It’s good to be home. :)

After you return from a trip, what is the first thing you usually eat when you get home? What foods are you craving like mad?

After my Paris trip I was craving pumpkin, nut butter, VOO, Green Monsters, chickpeas, toast + avocado, and strawberry tarts.

And yes, mass quantities of chocolate. But that goes without saying…

See you tomorrow morning for a savoury tart recipe and the one thing I really struggled with since being back home. Hint: It wasn’t a loss of appetite! bahaha.

Kristina @ spabettie September 27, 2010

I am usually craving FRESH VEG because try as I might, I cannot get enough on vacation… ever!

That Michel Cluizel IS The Best… serious. I know. :D

AdrienneCarolyn September 27, 2010

I always crave greens! Big salads!! Also bananas and peanut butter and my weird protein pancake concoctions….stuff I never get on holiday….I basically crave healthy fresh whole foods…not alcohol, bread, and cheese which are my vacation staples haha…

Heather (Faces of Beauty) September 27, 2010

k, i am going to say it: i’m not a cat person. at all. they kind of scare me.

that being said, i kind of want to steal sketchie and snuggle him :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2010

haha! I used to be scared of cats too before we got Sketchie. I was NOT a cat person. It’s funny how owning one can change all of that.
Sketchie will cuddle you for cat treats. ;)

Tina September 27, 2010

Food is always what I most look forward to as well when getting home from a trip.

I think it depends on where I go for what I want right away. Usually whatever I couldn’t easily have when gone.

Lin September 27, 2010

The first thing I reach for when I get home is usually a tall glass of ice cold water. I always find myself dehydrated. I’ve never seen a cookie press like that before, how does it work? I’m used to seeing the ones with a tube or barrel where you can fill cookie dough or other types of batters.

Lisa September 27, 2010

I’ve never heard of a cookie press before! What a cool gadget!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 27, 2010

I really crave fresh veggie juices from my juicer when I’m away.

Looks like you’ve been eating like a queen since you got back!

S September 27, 2010

How funny, we purchased the exact same print of the Eiffel Tower on our honeymoon 2 years ago! It’s a gorgeous print, enjoy it! Reading about your adventures makes me want to go back now!

cynthia September 27, 2010

first comment from a new reader! i love this post & seeing all of the first foods you made when back. i have to speak to your comment about wanting to drink coffee but being intimidated by the coffee machine: get a melitta filter coffee brewer (https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+008&Cat=) they cost about $3, make better coffee than most brewers, and are sooo not intimidating at all! you just set this filter on your coffee mug and pour the hot water right over the coffee sitting in the filter there. in the seattle coffee world its called the “pour-over” method, and i do it at home daily. highly recommended if you can pick up one of these melitta’s :)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA September 27, 2010

All I want when I get home from a vacation is a huge green salad and fruit salad.

steph@stephsbitebybite September 27, 2010

I think if I could make pumpkin pie overnight oats like you do I would be craving that too!

kalin September 27, 2010

i always want smoothies! full of greens.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 27, 2010

I always crave fresh foods like fruits and (some) veggies!

Krystina September 27, 2010

Vegan ginger cookies? Be still, my heart!

Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful September 27, 2010

What beautiful pics of all your food. It just inspires me so much more to eat clean and healthy. I’m jealous of your Paris trip! And your tartes look INCREDIBLE!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) September 27, 2010

So many good eats – I agree, that is the nice part of being home. I haven’t had any chickpeas in a while (very unusual for me) – now I think I want that chickpea pizza! yum!

Freya September 27, 2010

Blimey girl, you have the best food EVER on your blog! I want every single thing :)
I always just crave fresh fruit and veg as soon as I get home from a trip – nothing beats it!!

Freya September 27, 2010

Oh – and my gosh, I want your cat more than the food; he is STUNNING!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 27, 2010

oh my – I LOVE all the things you purchased in France :)

Ashley Craft September 27, 2010

Sketchie is so adorable!! And no worries… I entice my cat with treat too. Healthy ones, of course. ;)

Ashley Craft September 27, 2010

Sketchie is so adorable!! And no worries… I entice my cat with treats too. Healthy ones, of course. ;)

Shanna, like Banana September 27, 2010

I totally crave big salads and tons of oatmeal. They are my two favorites.

Well I also crave Mexi food because no one makes it as good as in NorCal (or in my kitchen…ha!)

Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 27, 2010

SMOOTHIES FOR SURE :) You just can’t BUY smoothies exactly the way you like them… There’s nothing like home made!

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 27, 2010

After our vacation the thing I craved most was crock pot chili. I had some in the fridge to heat up which was great and it is on our menu for this week :-)

Gail September 27, 2010

Oh my goodness, what a cute little kitty! I love how his forepaw are curled over. So precious! I miss my kitties :0(

Chelsea at Striking Balance September 27, 2010

Your food always make me so hungry! I still have to try that tomato paste and avocado on toast combo. It looks so good everytime you have it, but I’m yet to try it!

Dee September 27, 2010

oh my, my my! This post will so be noted. Look at all this loveliness! ;)

RhodeyGirl September 27, 2010

I always crave the most random individual foods when I get home from a trip. Arugula, or avocado, or a specific type of walnut, etc. So weird.

I love this type of post. And I voted for your tarts!

Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com September 27, 2010

Oh hey I have been craving garbanzos and tomato sauce. And I was like where did I even get the idea for that from?? It must be from your blog! It truly is a delicious taste combo though. The flavor of the garbanzos just compliments the tomato so well! Yum yum.

Erin September 27, 2010

My first meal home after a year in Korea was Lebanese food — hummus was impossible to find over there! After that was a Mexican feast. It’s hard to find good Mexican food overseas.

grocery goddess jen September 27, 2010

Like everyone else – I miss vegetables! I never seem to get enough on vacation.

Tiffany @ Eat, Run, Write, Love September 27, 2010

Home is definitely where the food is! I always miss certain foods when I am gone away. Lately it has been banana soft serve and peanut butter with apple butter on toasted ezekiel bread. I have that nearly everyday and when I am away, boy do I miss it. I also love Kale Chips, am I weird are do I have a sister out there?

Jess September 27, 2010

salads!

Allison @ Food For Healing September 27, 2010

i’m starving! i shouldn’t look at your blog before i have made supper, now i am dying

Julie @ Hotlegs Runner September 27, 2010

my goodness, those pictures made me hungry! haha!

welcome home! Paris is truly a beautiful city. I wish to go back there with my loved one someday =)
I’m your latest follower, by the way =) I love you blog!

Kiersten September 27, 2010

The first foods I eat when I come home from a trip are oatmeal and copious amounts of nut butter

Michelle @ IronDivas September 27, 2010

Those tarts definitely look like a must make! I am having a major sweet craving at the moment, and those tarts are teasing me… That strawberry salad also looks amazingly good.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 27, 2010

Awwww – Sketchie missssed you!

Jennifer September 27, 2010

If your automatic coffeemaker is too intimidating, you can always try using a French Press. Of course, you will need to have your own coffee grinder to use it so if you don’t already have at least a grinder, it’s a bit more of an investment (though not too much!).
French press coffee is really good! Another thing I would suggest is making sure you get good quality coffee. I drank Folgers for so long and when I finally made the switch to the good stuff, I never looked back!

Brittany September 27, 2010

I always crave lots of fresh fruit! I like to slice up a big fresh fruit salad with some lime juice squeezed over the top! yummoooooo :)

Page 1 of 3123»