My Favourite Food In Paris

Oh boy, do I love the East to West time zone travel much more than West to East!

East to West is always a piece of cake. I love that I automatically get up super early in the morning. This morning I awoke after a solid 7 hours of sleep at 5am. It was the most sleep I have had in about a week and a half and it felt wonderful.

I made some amazing Kusmi Almond green tea and then I washed all the floors in the house and did laundry all before 7am! There is no better feeling in the world than a productive early morning.

I am going to try my best to stay on this early rising schedule because I love getting up early in the morning. I am my most productive in the early morning (as long as I can get to bed at a good time!) and I hope to stick to this schedule. Remember my Early Rising Challenge from a while back?

After cleaning, I opened my Gmail inbox for the first time in a week and almost shed a tear. I also printed my Glo Bar orders. It is going to take me at least a week to get caught up on things! I might have to whip out the coffee machine much earlier than planned. ;)

But for this post, back to lovely, delicious, Paris.

How I miss thee. You stole a piece of my heart.

20100922-IMG_8486

We came across Paul Bakery while in a shopping mall called Les Quatre Temps buying some gifts and souvenirs. There was a HUGE line up wrapping around the entire bakery. We knew it must be amazing.

Item #4: Croissant

[For items 1-3 see this post]

20100922-IMG_8494

You didn’t think I could go to Paris and not try a croissant did you? ;)

My mom, sister, and I were so excited we couldn’t contain ourselves.

They are a work of art.

20100922-IMG_8495

If you are familiar with the process of baking croissants, they require many, many hours and many, many steps to make them. The outcome is spectacular though.

It was light, airy, flakey, and buttery. I took a bite and the croissant just melted on my tongue.

It was a moment I will remember forever.

20100922-IMG_8507

The croissant was my favourite food item that I tried while in Paris by a landslide! Nothing could come close to it. My goal is to make a delicious vegan croissant some day. :)

Item #5: Strawberry Tart

20100922-IMG_8505

20100922-IMG_8502

The tart had a layer of vanilla custard on the bottom. I was never a huge fan of custard when I was young, so I was hesitant to try it. However, it was definitely the best custard I have ever tasted. The tart wasn’t my favourite dessert by any means, but it was still quite good.

I think it was OSGMOM’s favourite dessert of the entire trip! She is a huge custard fan. :)

20100922-IMG_8506

For the main part of my lunch, I was absolutely delighted when I saw a huge Lentil salad and Tabbouleh Salad. The Lentil salad and juice below were from a cafe called Soup and Juice.

My body was so, so, so happy to see some vegan protein. I almost cried with joy…haha.

20100922-IMG_8500

I devoured both of them.

My mom and sister had mini and large baguette ham and/or cheese sandwiches and they really loved them.

20100922-IMG_8501

I also bought a carrot juice. It felt so good to drink fresh juice!

20100922-IMG_8511

In my next post I will be recapping our last night in Paris as well as showing you some of the souvenirs and things I brought home!

Enjoy your day. :) I am off to play the catch up game.

Page 2 of 2«12
Elli @ 16 and Losing It September 25, 2010

wow a croissant in paris, how could anything be better?! I am dying to go to France! That tart looks pretty darn gorgeous too!

Rachel (@Smile Out Loud) September 24, 2010

Hey Angela! I love carrot juice, too! I just got my first juicer and juiced a batch of carrot juice tonight :) Question for you: Do you do anything special with all the extra carrot pulp? It seems like there is so much of it!

Have a great night :D

Carlee September 24, 2010

wow! All that food and pastery looks devine! I would go to Paris just for the food I think. It looks like you had a fantastic time.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 24, 2010

I adore croissants! I’m sure the ones I get from Loblaws don’t even rate on the same scale as the ones from Paris. :P

bitt September 24, 2010

both times i went to paris i was gluten-free. i can’t do gluten at all. but it kept it easier to be vegan since anything i wanted wasn’t gluten-free anyhow. i ate so many croissants as a child i have the memory of them ingrained in my head forever. i always got the chocolate. now i can still eat chocolate thank god. i doubt there will ever be a gluten-free vegan croissant recipe. probably impossible

Emily September 24, 2010

Looks incredible. There’s something sacreds about a real french croissant. The strawberry tart looks great too.

Saralinn September 24, 2010

I LOVE Paul…I’ve actually only been to the ones in London, but I saw them while I was in Paris. They have this amazing sandwich that was so simple – I think maybe a couple slices of hardboiled egg, a basil dressing, lettuce, tomato (good for the non-meat eaters!). And their cafe viennese…oh I could go on…

stacey-healthylife September 24, 2010

You just had to have a croissant and I’m glad it was amazing. A chocolate one would have been even better. :)

Kara September 24, 2010

I really hope you tried the chocolate croissant! (‘Pain au chocolat’) – I lived an hour north of Paris for 5 months and all over France I knew I could get an amazing pastry just by muttering these three words. Either way, croissants are beautiful.

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 24, 2010

Dang it best list ever. I want to go to France and eat nothing but bread. I am gluten intolerant, but I’d make the sacrifice.

Leanne September 24, 2010

I went to Paris over Thanksgiving holiday in 2007 and ended up being sick the whole trip. Oh how I ache to go back after seeing your posts. I am so happy for you and your family enjoying the trip. I may need to start planning a return trip.

Cassandra September 24, 2010

My friend recently went to Paris and she loved it!, she said everything is so fresh and organic that if I went I would never want to come back. Glad you got to enjoy the amazing food there :)

Natalia - a side of simple September 24, 2010

I’m allergic to gluten but when I was in Paris I did NOT care at all. I devoured crepes, croissants, and other such delectables to my hearts content. My body could die later, but my soul had to live!

bitt September 24, 2010

you are lucky you could do that. if i had eaten gluten i would have ruined the rest of my trip. i’m that allergic to it.

Stefanie September 24, 2010

If you google vegan croissants you will get a couple of recipes. I’m sure they won’t compare to the ones from paris but it should cure the craving. I’m trying to convince myself the hard work will be worth it in the end but I have not made them yet.

amie September 24, 2010

awww, im sad you had your croissant at paul! its just an overpriced chain bakery that’s found all over europe, not really special enough for your first croissant in paris! oh well, glad you still enjoyed it!

Andrea September 24, 2010

Wow that croissant looks like the best ever- I love croissants anywhere so Parisian croissant is just that much better! It all looks amazing, how wonderful to be able to experience another culture’s cuisine :)

The Peanut Butter Addict September 24, 2010

Was that croissant very big? I remember when I went to Paris the croissants we had were so cute and small compared to the huge ones you can find here! But this was more than 10 years ago so maybe they grew in size there by now :P

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2010

They had mini ones and reg sized ones :)

CathyK September 24, 2010

welcome home, angela! thanks so much for sharing your paris trip with us…i have never been and i loved seeing your perspective!
yes, yes! aim to keep on the 5 a.m. wakeup! i was on a 5 a.m. wakeup schedule from january til july and LOVED how much i got done in a day. sadly, ever since my july vacation, i cannot get up that early – and i really miss it! for some reason i just can’t wake myself up now at that time!
my brother travels a lot and says east-west is sooo much easier, too!
will you let us know how eric got along while you were gone?! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2010

haha will try to. He might post :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 24, 2010

I would loovee to try one of their croissants. Geez, if I love Walmart’s croissants I can only imagine how one of Paris’ would taste!!

debby September 24, 2010

Did you try Pierre herme macarons? they are soooo delicious…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2010

No I didn’t but I did try Michel Cluizel macarons. Chocolate and strawberry were my top two!

Amanda September 24, 2010

I would be very interested in a vegan crossiant recipe. It seems like it would be impossible to make a crossiant without butter!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2010

There is Earth Balance butter which cooks and bakes very similar to butter. I’m hoping it works as a sub!

Lisa September 24, 2010

My mouth is watering at that little tart dessert! SOOO good!!!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 24, 2010

Nothing beats a true croissant. Absolutely amazing…and you’re so right – melt in your mouth.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 24, 2010

Nothing beats a real Parisian croissants. All of the American imitations are just that- imitations!! Glad you had a wonderful end to your trip, welcome home!