It’s Hip To Be Square

It’s not just the people who are polished and well groomed, it’s the trees too!

20100920-IMG_8209

They sculpt many of the trees to make them angular!

20100920-IMG_8215

Eric, get out the hedge trimmer. I have some work to do in our yard when I return.

20100922-IMG_8588

20100920-IMG_8233

20100920-IMG_8205

I got some tea in this awesome tea shop!

20100920-IMG_8221

Smelled so good.

20100920-IMG_8217

20100920-IMG_8223

20100920-IMG_8231

20100920-IMG_8202

I wish I could write that good on my market boards! ;)

20100920-IMG_8188

20100920-IMG_8193

20100920-IMG_8194

20100920-IMG_8195

20100920-IMG_8196

20100920-IMG_8198

20100920-IMG_8199

20100920-IMG_8200

I’ll show you what I bought yesterday at the bottom of this post. ;)

Then it was time for dinner. We ate in the terrace of our hotel. (Note: For those of you asking the hotel name, I will be sharing after the trip).

20100921-IMG_8470

20100921-IMG_8469

Bread + oil & balsamic to start of course! I think I have eaten my weight in bread this week.

20100921-IMG_8455

Yes please!

20100921-IMG_8457

My sister and mom had the filet of sol with cheese risotto.

20100921-IMG_8458

and raw vegetable salad.

20100921-IMG_8459

They loved it.

I had the Wakame vegetable sandwich (without cheese) and it was quite possibly the best sandwich I have ever had. Ok, I say that way too much, but it was damn good.

20100921-IMG_8461

The veggies were sautéed and just succulent. It was also my first time having Wakame which is edible seaweed. I loved it! It was very thin and delicate, not what I was picturing seaweed to appear/taste like!

20100921-IMG_8462

This sandwich was all kinds of epic. The chef in this hotel is ah-mazing.

20100921-IMG_8468

It came with seasoned and lightly oiled parsley…

20100921-IMG_8464

and lovely PURPLE potato chips!!! These went fast.

20100921-IMG_8465

For dessert, we whipped out a bakery purchase from Michel Cluizel, which turned out to be our favourite chocolaterie in Paris. Wait until you see the dark chocolate I stocked up on today!

We bought a selection of the famous Macarons

20100921-IMG_8442

Everyone told us that we must try macarons while in Paris. We got a sample pack and each tried a bite.

20100921-IMG_8443

Lemon, strawberry, pistachio, and chocolate:

20100921-IMG_8449

No, these babies are not vegan (contain egg whites), but as you will see in my next post, there were a few food items on my ‘must try while in Paris hit list’ and these were one of them. I am hoping to make a vegan version some day and I have to know what they are supposed to taste like!

I also had 4 other food items on my hit list that I will be showing you in my next post.

But for now, back to the macarons!

20100921-IMG_8451

Our top two favourites:

• OSGMOM: #1) Chocolate, #2) Strawberry
  • Kristi: #1) Chocolate, #2) Strawberry
  • Me: #1) Chocolate, #2) Strawberry

Can you tell we are related? ;) Chocolate was clearly the crowd favourite. I thought the chocolate tasted delicious, but the macarons were a bit too sweet for my taste. I am really sensitive to sugar now that I bake with such healthy ingredients.

This is the tea that I purchased from Kusmi Tea:

20100921-IMG_8476

If the loose leaf teas taste half as good as they smell, I am in luck!

20100921-IMG_8474

Apparently there is a location in Montreal too!

Coming up…I will be recapping our last day in Paris!

Things got a little creepy…

20100922-IMG_8592

20100922-IMG_8554

[When your balsamic starts looking at you, you have had too much wine.]

20100922-IMG_8541

20100922-IMG_8511

20100922-IMG_8515

20100922-IMG_8567

Apparently there might be a transportation strike here in Paris tomorrow when we are supposed to fly out. With any luck we may just get stuck here forever.

Stay tuned.

1 Jessica @ How Sweet September 22, 2010

Stuck there?! I can’t think of anything better!

2 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin September 22, 2010

My mouth is literally watering over this post. So glad you tried the macaroons even though they are not vegan! I bet you could recreate them with a flax egg super easily!

3 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 22, 2010

i’ll be honest – i’m glad you didn’t eat everything vegan in Paris! you only live once, and i can’t imagine going there without trying everything possible :) thanks for keepin’ it real ;)

4 Sportsgirl September 22, 2010

I love it how all the food and products are arranged so pretty!

5 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 22, 2010

Ahh, french macarons! I’m using them as the favor in my wedding and have been dying to get a great recipe (vegan or not)…if you feature them, then I know I’ll be getting a great recipe :)

6 Dani @ Body By Nature September 22, 2010

Beautiful photos, looks like you are having an amazing trip!

7 Dawn September 22, 2010

Wow, I feel like I just had a little visit to Paris. Those photos are amazing. That food looks delish!! I hope you do get stuck for a couple more days there!! If so, I’m sure you’ll enjoy every moment! hehe

8 Sarah for Real September 22, 2010

I love buying tea when I travel!!! It’s always on my list!

So interested to see what your non-vegan items were and why. You’ve done an amazing job sticking to your guns but not being too restrictive.

9 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 22, 2010

I think macaroons are too sweet too :/ But I’m glad you tried them anyway! Those donuts look soooo delicious, good lord. Hope those are involved in a future post! :)

10 hippierunner September 22, 2010

I kinda hope you do get stuck there forever because I cannot get enough of the gorgeous photos!

11 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 22, 2010

I think it’s great that you’re letting loose just a little for the sake of a once in a lifetime opportunity. That balsamic is creepalicious!

12 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 22, 2010

Haha, yep, everyone AND everything seems to be stylish and well-groomed in Paris! Definitely!

How funny to get a side of parsley like that!

13 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 22, 2010

I am all sorts of fascinated by the idea of a vegan macaron :) I thought they contained butter in addition to egg whites, but come to think of it, that’s probably only in some of the fillings – the macaron cookie part (as opposed to the filling) is like all almond flour and egg whites.

14 stacey-healthylife September 22, 2010

Everything looks so gorgeous there. Hopefully you get stuck and have to stay a little longer. :)

15 Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 22, 2010

Beautiful photo montage!!

16 Jemma September 22, 2010

Those macaroons look perfectly formed and soooo delicious!

17 Bridget September 22, 2010

Look at all that amazing food!!! Lucky ducky :P Yeah, I’m pretty jealous….

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacay!

18 Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) September 22, 2010

Love all the pictures! It looks like you are having a great time :)

19 ¡Yo Soy Liz! September 22, 2010

They gave away big tins of Kusmi tea in the Emmy’s afterparty swag bags this year! I made everyone who didn’t want their tea to give it to me. It’s the “detox” flavor and is so good. Can’t wait to hear what you think of the flavors you got.

20 Lin September 22, 2010

Those macarons look almost too pretty to eat! Since I’ve been cutting down on sweeteners from my life, I’ve also noticed an increased sensitivity towards sweets. I put 1 small packet of splenda in my chia seed pudding and it was already too much.

21 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 22, 2010

Wow, you are really making me want to go to Paris!! Your pictures are amazing and the food all looks so good. I hope you have a safe trip home.

22 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 22, 2010

Omg the LV store. Please tell me you went on a wild shopping spree and got multiple new bags. I would love to live vicariously that way. I havent had a new LV in like 5-6 years. Gosh, I want one, too :)

Not vegan, who cares. As I wrote in my last comment to you, it’s all about when in Rome, doing as the Romans. And I think it’s so awesome that you are trying things, living life, doing things that are once in a life time experiences; and not letting something stand in your way. it’s about the big picture of life, not isolated choices here and there, on an amazing Paris vacay no less, that define us as people, our health, etc…way to go, live it up!!!!

23 Toby September 22, 2010

I’d also be curious to know, generally, how you think it compares cost wise to a vacation to a big city in the US. The reason I ask is that last time I was in Paris I was a student traveling cheaply (it was also 14 years ago), but I’ve been wanting to take another trip to Europe and I’m a bit scared to consider the cost since my standards for travel are SO much higher now. (Traveling as a student was great, but now I like to stay in nice hotels and eat exceptional food.)

24 Ashley Craft September 22, 2010

That tea shop looks like heaven!!! What kind did you get?

25 christina cadden September 22, 2010

Love all the photos!

26 lindsay (goodiesgalore) September 22, 2010

are those donuts in your last picture? i hope you stocked up.

27 Allison @ Food For Healing September 22, 2010

those trees look so cool. Canada needs more of that i think.

I want to eat EVERYTHING in Paris haha, everything you’ve showed looks so amazing, I would seriously just go there just to eat.. ok maybe not entirely lol

I hope your suitcase is full of goodies and you will just buy new clothes when you get home haha

28 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 22, 2010

OK, now I’m hungry. I would love one of those maroons right about now.

29 Lisa @ sweetsandskinnyjeans.blogspot.com September 22, 2010

Ugh so jealous! Looks so good! =)

30 Lisa September 22, 2010

“Bummer” you might get stuck in Paris forever. ;) I was sooo happy when my flight home from London was canceled. I got 3 extra days! Woot!

31 LeanneRBF September 22, 2010

If I love one thing in this world, it’s bread. (apart from my fiance of course… awkward…) ;)

Those pictures of bread & balsamic look lovely.

Have a fabulous last night in Paris!

32 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life September 22, 2010

Such pretty little cookies must have been hard to eat! I would have guessed I liked chocolate as #1 and pistachio as #2. But if there were vanilla, it would have been #1. :)

Can’t wait to see what else you tried! Have a safe trip home.

33 Lisa September 22, 2010

Seriously – everything looks amazing! And you have really captured the magic that is Paris through your photos!

34 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 22, 2010

It probably wouldn’t be too bad to be stuck in PARIS!

35 Amber K September 22, 2010

While I never want your vacation to end for you, I can’t wait, because I have been curious about the name of the hotel as well! But I’m glad you are waiting until you’re gone to share it!

36 Tina September 22, 2010

It seriously all looks so heavenly! Although the square trees area bit odd to me.

37 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 22, 2010

I’m with Heather..I’m glad to see you ate things you wanted whether they were vegan or not! These Paris posts have been absolutely fabulous :)

38 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 22, 2010

I like that you ate the macaroon while in Paris. It makes you real :)

My sisters and I have similar tastes too — so I’m not surprised you, your sister and mom all had the same favorites!

39 Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 22, 2010

Paris looks so fun! That sandwich looks amazing…so do the macaroons! :-P

40 Kathryn September 22, 2010

There is an amazing tea that has the flavors of macaroons coconut, pistachio, chocolate. I’ve only found it in this tiny shop in my area and it is purchased and brought over from Paris. Even the brewing instructions are in French. It comes from a tea room in Paris – The Odor
If you have time check it out – this tea is incredible!

Thanks for taking the time to blog while you are in Paris and share your adventures with us. It is just lovely.

41 Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 22, 2010

Your photography rocks! You’re really capturing the “Feeling” of Paris, I love it!

42 Wei-Wei September 22, 2010

I love how you actually make time to blog! And I admire you for honouring your desires and eating macarons – because they’re AMAZING. Yeah.

43 Diana Par-Due September 22, 2010

I love all the photos! My sister just moved back to the states from Paris and seeing all the neat little places that city has to offer makes me want to go!

44 Leah September 22, 2010

WOW…everything you guys are eating SERIOUSLY looks amazing. I am so glad you are enjoying France!

45 Ashley September 22, 2010

Uhhh yes…those dolls are slightly creepy!! Love the color of the macaroons. I am suuuuper sensitive to sweet things now too! Glad you had fun trying them though. I hope you get stuck at least for a few more days!! :)

46 rachel September 22, 2010

thank you for sharing so much of paris with us. i loved seeing the food and atmosphere, it’s all so dreamy!

47 Janessa September 22, 2010

“When your balsamic starts looking at you, you have had too much wine.”

Ha!

Great post, am loving seeing all the vegan food options in France!

48 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 22, 2010

When I read your post title I could hear the song in my head ;P

Your pictures today are really, really georgous friend :D Nice work. Dinner looks great.

Louis V **SWOON**

49 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 22, 2010

Ohh – getting stuck in Paris..that is something I would not be upset about! haha All of the food looks absolutely incredible!!

50 Lauren September 22, 2010

Your blog is beautiful! I love all of the pictures & the header. :)

Lauren
Lrstewart0711.blogspot.com

51 Viviane September 22, 2010

I can’t believe you had a Wakame sandwich in Paris! Seaweed seams so… un-Paris like, LOL! I’ll definitely take note of your hotel’s name, it looks amazing.

YES, we have a Kusmi Tea boutique in Montreal! The next time I cross the border to Ontario I’ll smuggle in some for you if you want :)

52 alexe @ soyaetchocolat.com September 23, 2010

I’m in for a road trip to Ontario! ;)

53 Jennifer Huntley September 22, 2010

As a teacher, I know the secret to a beautiful chalkboard – chalkboard markers!! They are incredible. If you let them dry a few minutes, you can’t wipe them off. Instead, you wash the writing off with a damp cloth. This is great so you don’t have to worry about smudging while in transport and if you want to keep some items from week to week there is no problem. Also, they come in incredible colours. They are expensive, but worth it. My principal gave us each ONE this year and they are like gold.

54 Kristina @ spabettie September 22, 2010

I *LOVE* wakame… one of my favorite sushi places does a great wakame salad and a wakame roll… such amazing flavor!

fingers crossed that you get stuck in Paris!! :D

safe travels home…

55 Laura @ Starloz September 22, 2010

ohhhhhh, im so glad you tried macarons. they are fanastically delicious!

56 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 22, 2010

There’s not much of a better place to be stuck in if it happens! All the food looks so incredible. I’ve never tried a macaron but have always wanted to! I love how colorful they are :P

57 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 22, 2010

I ate my weight in bread while I was Ireland.. something about European bread :)

58 Amanda @ livehealthyish.com September 22, 2010

I love your pics! Great place to be stuck!

59 Corrie September 22, 2010

I just started reading your blog and I love it. The first blog I saw was about Paris, and I was super excited. I’m going to France next fall to au pair and your wonderful pictures made me want to go even more. Those macarons look so good! Sadly, I have never had one. Hopefully next September I’ll be munching on French food every day. Hope there’s lots of good running trails in France:)

60 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 22, 2010

Those macaroons are looking fabulous!!!

I hope you don’t get stuck there, buuut it could be fun!

61 Chelsea at Striking Balance September 22, 2010

Oh my gosh all these pictures are making me drool! Thanks for sharing everything with us!

62 Michele September 22, 2010

The last time I was in Paris there was a transportation strike, too. It helps to book a cab ASAP and if the cancel it (which they likely will) go out into the street with your suitcases and try to find a taxi.

63 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 22, 2010

I LOVE macaroons. They are so pretty and delicious!

Those trees are so silly and funny looking haha.

64 Charlie September 22, 2010

I love macaroons! There is a boutique that makes them here in Montreal and they are incredible. They use many “unusual” ingredients (like lavender and sambucus!). My favorites are caramel/Fleur de Sel!
There is a Kusmi Tea store in Montreal but I haven’t tried their products yet. I’ll wait until you tell us if it is good ;).

65 Lana September 22, 2010

If you get stuck there, you have to keep posting all the amazing pictures! It feels like I’m there – a virtual-vacation!!

66 tara September 22, 2010

have you gone to david’s tea yet (in canada)? it reminds me of that tea store you went to. if you haven’t discovered it you need to as soon as you get back to Canada. They started in Montreal and they are all over the east coast where I am from.. also in toronto etc.

67 Kareen September 22, 2010

Hi Angela, your pictures are absolutely fantastic!
You seemed to have had a great time with your Mom and sister.

Yes there is a Kusmi Tea right here on St.Denis street in Montreal. I live about 5 minutes away from that store. I hope you’ll come visit Montreal soon!!
But first, you’ll have to make it back… Being “stuck” in Paris wouldn’t be half bad, right!?
Have a good rest of your trip!

68 Camille September 22, 2010

So many beautiful photos!
I plan to put macaroons on my next “to make” list@

69 Sava September 23, 2010

Hahahahaha.

“When your balsamic starts looking at you, you have had too much wine”

That made my night :)

70 Kristy September 23, 2010

I hope this is what heaven looks like :-)

71 Jeannette September 23, 2010

I can’t wait to hear where you have been staying, that terrace looks absolutely gorgeous!

72 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 23, 2010

I am, at the moment, drinking Kusmi Tea’s Prince Wladimir Tea

It’s glorious.

73 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 23, 2010

I bet all that fresh bread with oil and balsamic is fabulous! That’s one of my favourite ways to start a meal!

74 Neen @ broad Bean to Runner Bean September 23, 2010

OMG looks like your having an awesome time in paris! i’d love to go back!

75 Moni'sMeals September 23, 2010

OMG, you did it again, those photos are outrageous! Sign me up asap.
So glad you had a good time and that you tried some good food, with no labels on yourself!
I think you need one more weeek, right :) I can use a good bottle of balsamic in less than a week easy!

76 Shanna, like Banana September 23, 2010

So fun to see all the sights and eats. And excellent ending with a decadent donut. I recall Paris having some absolutely fabulous donuts and I wish I would have indulged more.

77 Paula September 23, 2010

OMG Kusmi Tea! I totally forgot they were based in Paris – I’ve always ordered over the internet. I hope one of those tins you bought is Prince Vladimir Tea, it is THE BEST, my absolute favorite :)

I can’t believe I forgot to try the macaroons when I was in Paris, I’ve never had ones like that. Do they kind of taste like those little crispy meringues?

78 Exmodel September 23, 2010

One word lady: jealous.

79 Kelly Michelle September 23, 2010

LOL there is a strike in France like everyday. When I lived there for 4 months I think every single profession went on strike at least once and the teachers a few times and the transportation people at least once a week (either airline or bus or metro) it was ridiculous. When I read you say that I burst out laughing. I think everyone I have ever met that went to France has some kind of story about a strike or potential strike.

80 bonnie September 23, 2010

i just literally found your blog today! i just needed to post because i just came back from paris two weeks ago and when i saw your pic of the square trees, i said “those look familiar.” then i saw the street and the LV store, i took pics of the SAME THINGS when we were there. and, even crazier, i know the hotel you’re at… we stayed there too! it’s right next to a park, right? so funny! can’t wait to catch up on your posts. have a great rest of your trip!!

81 Dani September 23, 2010

Mmmmm…. macarons! I only tried these for the first time a couple weeks ago and am IN LOVE!!! They’re so pretty and delicate :)

I tried your recipe for high protein chocolate pumpkin pudding, amazingggg! Thanks for sharing :):):)

82 Jessica@tastyandtrim September 23, 2010

I absolutely love all of your pictures. Reading this post let me pretend as if I was in Paris for a few minutes…and then I stopped daydreaming and realized I was still in Chicago :) All of the food looks heavenly. I am so glad you got your hands on some delicious vegan fare. Being stuck in Paris doesn’t sound too bad to me ;)

83 Charmaine September 23, 2010

The tea reminds me of teaopia…I hope it’s as good, if not better!

84 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 23, 2010

haha, love the balsamic face!

Oh-and all that tea!!! I want some!!

85 Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) September 23, 2010

Those macarons look fantastic…would you believe that I’ve never in my life had one. Must change that….STAT!

86 Lea @ Healthy coconut September 23, 2010

Paris looks so clean on your pictures Angela but it’s not always that way when I see Paris in the movies. I’m glad you are enjoying your time, I hope to go to Paris someday.

I agree about being sensitive to sugar. I am very sensitive to sugar high these days since I bake now with maple sugar and agave.

87 Miranda September 23, 2010

Thank you so much for blogging about your time in Paris. The pictures of both the food and the scenery are gorgeous. And the bread OY the bread! Makes my tummy growl :)

88 Toronto Girl West September 23, 2010

I’ve been so busy saying goodbye to my Blogger blog and starting a Wordpress one, I hadn’t checked my Google Reader in a while. Somehow, I managed to forget that you were still in Paris.

How lovely it was to be greeted by pictures of your absolutely fabulous trip to Paris. I’m thrilled to see the three of it are enjoying it so much!

PS: I’m part of your blog roll. Any chance you would mind updating the link now that I’ve changed my blog. I used to write at “To be the Whole Package.”

89 Heather September 23, 2010

everything is so beautiful!!! thanks for sharing

90 Andrew Lowry September 23, 2010

I am continuing to enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing. The three of us now want to go back to Paris now. This time we will eat in the hotel. BTW I am glad that I did not mention the hotel name as you want to keep that private for now. All of your European fans would be flocking over to it for autographs. :)

I hope you have an uneventful flight (the best type iMHO) back to Canada.

91 Dominique October 3, 2010

Just catching up on your posts…I’m behind on blogging and blog-reading ;) I’m loving your recap of Paris. I’ve been there a couple of times and am dying to go back with the BF. I’m hoping for next year–for our 10-year anniversary.

Kusmi does have a shop in Montreal. The BF and I were there during Labour Day weekend. The woman at the store gave us a sample of a green tea (I think Detox?) and it was fantastic. I ended up getting a chai tea (perfect for fall/winter) and BF got a smoked tea.

Macarons are one of my fave treats but they are way too sweet. I think anyone who has adjusted to a healthier diet with less refined sugar will find them too sweet. I find that the chocolate versions aren’t as sweet as other flavours though. Toronto has a plethora of shops selling macarons now but I can’t wait to see your vegan version!