It’s Hip To Be Square

It’s not just the people who are polished and well groomed, it’s the trees too!

20100920IMG 8209 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

They sculpt many of the trees to make them angular!

20100920IMG 8215 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

Eric, get out the hedge trimmer. I have some work to do in our yard when I return.

20100922IMG 8588 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8233 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8205 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

I got some tea in this awesome tea shop!

20100920IMG 8221 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

Smelled so good.

20100920IMG 8217 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8223 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8231 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8202 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

I wish I could write that good on my market boards! ;)

20100920IMG 8188 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8193 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8194 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8195 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8196 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8198 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8199 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100920IMG 8200 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

I’ll show you what I bought yesterday at the bottom of this post. ;)

Then it was time for dinner. We ate in the terrace of our hotel. (Note: For those of you asking the hotel name, I will be sharing after the trip).

20100921IMG 8470 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100921IMG 8469 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

Bread + oil & balsamic to start of course! I think I have eaten my weight in bread this week.

20100921IMG 8455 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

Yes please!

20100921IMG 8457 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

My sister and mom had the filet of sol with cheese risotto.

20100921IMG 8458 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

and raw vegetable salad.

20100921IMG 8459 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

They loved it.

I had the Wakame vegetable sandwich (without cheese) and it was quite possibly the best sandwich I have ever had. Ok, I say that way too much, but it was damn good.

20100921IMG 8461 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

The veggies were sautéed and just succulent. It was also my first time having Wakame which is edible seaweed. I loved it! It was very thin and delicate, not what I was picturing seaweed to appear/taste like!

20100921IMG 8462 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

This sandwich was all kinds of epic. The chef in this hotel is ah-mazing.

20100921IMG 8468 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

It came with seasoned and lightly oiled parsley…

20100921IMG 8464 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

and lovely PURPLE potato chips!!! These went fast.

20100921IMG 8465 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

For dessert, we whipped out a bakery purchase from Michel Cluizel, which turned out to be our favourite chocolaterie in Paris. Wait until you see the dark chocolate I stocked up on today!

We bought a selection of the famous Macarons

20100921IMG 8442 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

Everyone told us that we must try macarons while in Paris. We got a sample pack and each tried a bite.

20100921IMG 8443 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

Lemon, strawberry, pistachio, and chocolate:

20100921IMG 8449 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

No, these babies are not vegan (contain egg whites), but as you will see in my next post, there were a few food items on my ‘must try while in Paris hit list’ and these were one of them. I am hoping to make a vegan version some day and I have to know what they are supposed to taste like!

I also had 4 other food items on my hit list that I will be showing you in my next post.

But for now, back to the macarons!

20100921IMG 8451 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

Our top two favourites:

• OSGMOM: #1) Chocolate, #2) Strawberry
  • Kristi: #1) Chocolate, #2) Strawberry
  • Me: #1) Chocolate, #2) Strawberry

Can you tell we are related? ;) Chocolate was clearly the crowd favourite. I thought the chocolate tasted delicious, but the macarons were a bit too sweet for my taste. I am really sensitive to sugar now that I bake with such healthy ingredients.

This is the tea that I purchased from Kusmi Tea:

20100921IMG 8476 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

If the loose leaf teas taste half as good as they smell, I am in luck!

20100921IMG 8474 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

Apparently there is a location in Montreal too!

Coming up…I will be recapping our last day in Paris!

Things got a little creepy…

20100922IMG 8592 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100922IMG 8554 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

[When your balsamic starts looking at you, you have had too much wine.]

20100922IMG 8541 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100922IMG 8511 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100922IMG 8515 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

20100922IMG 8567 thumb   It’s Hip To Be Square

Apparently there might be a transportation strike here in Paris tomorrow when we are supposed to fly out. With any luck we may just get stuck here forever.

Stay tuned.

Jessica @ How Sweet September 22, 2010

Stuck there?! I can’t think of anything better!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin September 22, 2010

My mouth is literally watering over this post. So glad you tried the macaroons even though they are not vegan! I bet you could recreate them with a flax egg super easily!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 22, 2010

i’ll be honest – i’m glad you didn’t eat everything vegan in Paris! you only live once, and i can’t imagine going there without trying everything possible :) thanks for keepin’ it real ;)

Sportsgirl September 22, 2010

I love it how all the food and products are arranged so pretty!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 22, 2010

Ahh, french macarons! I’m using them as the favor in my wedding and have been dying to get a great recipe (vegan or not)…if you feature them, then I know I’ll be getting a great recipe :)

Dani @ Body By Nature September 22, 2010

Beautiful photos, looks like you are having an amazing trip!

Dawn September 22, 2010

Wow, I feel like I just had a little visit to Paris. Those photos are amazing. That food looks delish!! I hope you do get stuck for a couple more days there!! If so, I’m sure you’ll enjoy every moment! hehe

Sarah for Real September 22, 2010

I love buying tea when I travel!!! It’s always on my list!

So interested to see what your non-vegan items were and why. You’ve done an amazing job sticking to your guns but not being too restrictive.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 22, 2010

I think macaroons are too sweet too :/ But I’m glad you tried them anyway! Those donuts look soooo delicious, good lord. Hope those are involved in a future post! :)

hippierunner September 22, 2010

I kinda hope you do get stuck there forever because I cannot get enough of the gorgeous photos!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 22, 2010

I think it’s great that you’re letting loose just a little for the sake of a once in a lifetime opportunity. That balsamic is creepalicious!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 22, 2010

Haha, yep, everyone AND everything seems to be stylish and well-groomed in Paris! Definitely!

How funny to get a side of parsley like that!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 22, 2010

I am all sorts of fascinated by the idea of a vegan macaron :) I thought they contained butter in addition to egg whites, but come to think of it, that’s probably only in some of the fillings – the macaron cookie part (as opposed to the filling) is like all almond flour and egg whites.

stacey-healthylife September 22, 2010

Everything looks so gorgeous there. Hopefully you get stuck and have to stay a little longer. :)

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 22, 2010

Beautiful photo montage!!

Jemma September 22, 2010

Those macaroons look perfectly formed and soooo delicious!

Bridget September 22, 2010

Look at all that amazing food!!! Lucky ducky :P Yeah, I’m pretty jealous….

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacay!

Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) September 22, 2010

Love all the pictures! It looks like you are having a great time :)

¡Yo Soy Liz! September 22, 2010

They gave away big tins of Kusmi tea in the Emmy’s afterparty swag bags this year! I made everyone who didn’t want their tea to give it to me. It’s the “detox” flavor and is so good. Can’t wait to hear what you think of the flavors you got.

Lin September 22, 2010

Those macarons look almost too pretty to eat! Since I’ve been cutting down on sweeteners from my life, I’ve also noticed an increased sensitivity towards sweets. I put 1 small packet of splenda in my chia seed pudding and it was already too much.

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 22, 2010

Wow, you are really making me want to go to Paris!! Your pictures are amazing and the food all looks so good. I hope you have a safe trip home.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 22, 2010

Omg the LV store. Please tell me you went on a wild shopping spree and got multiple new bags. I would love to live vicariously that way. I havent had a new LV in like 5-6 years. Gosh, I want one, too :)

Not vegan, who cares. As I wrote in my last comment to you, it’s all about when in Rome, doing as the Romans. And I think it’s so awesome that you are trying things, living life, doing things that are once in a life time experiences; and not letting something stand in your way. it’s about the big picture of life, not isolated choices here and there, on an amazing Paris vacay no less, that define us as people, our health, etc…way to go, live it up!!!!

Toby September 22, 2010

I’d also be curious to know, generally, how you think it compares cost wise to a vacation to a big city in the US. The reason I ask is that last time I was in Paris I was a student traveling cheaply (it was also 14 years ago), but I’ve been wanting to take another trip to Europe and I’m a bit scared to consider the cost since my standards for travel are SO much higher now. (Traveling as a student was great, but now I like to stay in nice hotels and eat exceptional food.)

Ashley Craft September 22, 2010

That tea shop looks like heaven!!! What kind did you get?

christina cadden September 22, 2010

Love all the photos!

lindsay (goodiesgalore) September 22, 2010

are those donuts in your last picture? i hope you stocked up.

Allison @ Food For Healing September 22, 2010

those trees look so cool. Canada needs more of that i think.

I want to eat EVERYTHING in Paris haha, everything you’ve showed looks so amazing, I would seriously just go there just to eat.. ok maybe not entirely lol

I hope your suitcase is full of goodies and you will just buy new clothes when you get home haha

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 22, 2010

OK, now I’m hungry. I would love one of those maroons right about now.

Lisa @ sweetsandskinnyjeans.blogspot.com September 22, 2010

Ugh so jealous! Looks so good! =)

Lisa September 22, 2010

“Bummer” you might get stuck in Paris forever. ;) I was sooo happy when my flight home from London was canceled. I got 3 extra days! Woot!

LeanneRBF September 22, 2010

If I love one thing in this world, it’s bread. (apart from my fiance of course… awkward…) ;)

Those pictures of bread & balsamic look lovely.

Have a fabulous last night in Paris!

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life September 22, 2010

Such pretty little cookies must have been hard to eat! I would have guessed I liked chocolate as #1 and pistachio as #2. But if there were vanilla, it would have been #1. :)

Can’t wait to see what else you tried! Have a safe trip home.

Lisa September 22, 2010

Seriously – everything looks amazing! And you have really captured the magic that is Paris through your photos!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 22, 2010

It probably wouldn’t be too bad to be stuck in PARIS!

Amber K September 22, 2010

While I never want your vacation to end for you, I can’t wait, because I have been curious about the name of the hotel as well! But I’m glad you are waiting until you’re gone to share it!

Tina September 22, 2010

It seriously all looks so heavenly! Although the square trees area bit odd to me.

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 22, 2010

I’m with Heather..I’m glad to see you ate things you wanted whether they were vegan or not! These Paris posts have been absolutely fabulous :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 22, 2010

I like that you ate the macaroon while in Paris. It makes you real :)

My sisters and I have similar tastes too — so I’m not surprised you, your sister and mom all had the same favorites!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 22, 2010

Paris looks so fun! That sandwich looks amazing…so do the macaroons! :-P

Kathryn September 22, 2010

There is an amazing tea that has the flavors of macaroons coconut, pistachio, chocolate. I’ve only found it in this tiny shop in my area and it is purchased and brought over from Paris. Even the brewing instructions are in French. It comes from a tea room in Paris – The Odor
If you have time check it out – this tea is incredible!

Thanks for taking the time to blog while you are in Paris and share your adventures with us. It is just lovely.

Page 1 of 3123»