Palace of Versailles

I am seriously hooked on this coffee.

20100921-IMG_8304

Green tea, what green tea? ;) Someone save me! No, actually don’t save me. I don’t ever want to be apart from this coffee. I’m sad because I hear that the coffee back at home won’t taste as good as Paris coffee. Is this true!?

What are your favourite brands of coffee to make at home? We do have a brand new coffee maker that we have only used twice for guests before (it was a wedding gift). Perhaps I should dust it off when I get home. ;)

The highlight of breakfast this morning included this VOO Parfait my sister made for herself! I was so proud.

20100921-IMG_8308

My breakfast was similar to my previous days. :) Delicious and filling as always.

Then we were off to Versailles! We walked to the train station. I meant to mention the other day that the Metro (subway) system is just amazing here. It was a piece of cake to navigate once we figured out how the lines worked.

20100921-IMG_8324

We were serenaded on the train

It was charming.

20100921-IMG_8332

That is, until he walked up to each person afterward, stuck out his coin purse, and asked for money. lol.

After about 30 minutes on the train, we made it.

20100921-IMG_8342

If you couldn’t tell, the weather here has been perfect! Sunny every day and around 20-25 Celsius. We couldn’t have asked for more. I heard Paris is typically cloudy and gray, but we haven’t had any clouds the entire stay!

20100921-IMG_8353

20100921-IMG_8345

20100921-IMG_8352

The Palace of Versailles is amazing!

20100921-IMG_8354

20100921-IMG_8380

20100921-IMG_838720100921-IMG_8391

20100921-IMG_8393

20100921-IMG_8394

20100921-IMG_8395

20100921-IMG_8396

Those are some fire logs!!

20100921-IMG_8397

20100921-IMG_8402

20100921-IMG_8410

The gardens were beautiful and went on forever!

20100921-IMG_8413

Afterward, we stopped into Starbucks for a refresher.

20100921-IMG_8415

This is the face you make when you find out that Paris Starbucks don’t make Pumpkin Spiced Lattes! I wonder if pumpkin is not popular in Europe? I haven’t seen any baked goods made out of pumpkin yet.

20100921-IMG_8418

Kristi has a little obsession with Pumpkin Spiced Lattes. ;)

Not long after our stomachs wanted food once again. We stopped in at a nearby restaurant for lunch.

20100921-IMG_8435

We started with Guacamole and chips:

20100921-IMG_8419

My mom had the chicken salad which was humongous and so beautiful! The presentation here is just wonderful.

20100921-IMG_8421

And Kristi had another kind of salad that was equally as beautiful!

20100921-IMG_8422

20100921-IMG_8423

They loved both of them!

20100921-IMG_8424

I decided on a pizza!

20100921-IMG_8428

It had roasted red peppers, artichokes, eggplant, and mushrooms. It was SO delicious!

20100921-IMG_8431

They brought me this pizza oil and it was really good to drizzle on.

20100921-IMG_8425

20100921-IMG_8433

Part II of our day is coming on up. :)

Wednesday is our last full day in Paris and then we depart Thursday morning for home. Six nights goes by so fast!

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 21, 2010

Are you putting cream in your coffee?

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2010

soy milk

3 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 21, 2010

can you imagine how much work it is to take care of those gardens?! oh my goodness, i would die! i feel like i’m in a little fairytale when i read these recaps :)

4 Allison @ Food For Healing September 21, 2010

gah its so beautiful! No pumpkin spice lattes though? what has this world come to!

5 Laura @ Tidbits September 21, 2010

your pictures are stunning!!!! i’ve been drooling over them in every post you make imagining I was there with you ladies.

as for coffee, I’m one who loves my 1 cup of coffee in the morning before work, preceeded by a big mug of green tea for my morning at work. ;) the best of both worlds! I absolutely love all of the President’s Choice coffees – the Great Canadian one is my favourite, but they’re all amazing. (the price is right too!) DO NOT buy Foldgers. I swear it’s like poison! (not literally but you know) My fiance and I bought a big container over a month ago because it was a great price and we regret that purchase every single time we make a new pot. The PC coffee is a million times better.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

6 Jessica September 21, 2010

I used to drink Folger’s at work (mainly out of boredom), because that is what they buy. And it made me nauseous every time I drank it. I didn’t figure it out until the second time I drank it. I will never buy that stuff!

7 suz September 21, 2010

Ditto on the Folgers! No bueno. I prefer Taster’s Choice. lol Actually, my absolute favorite is Caribou Coffee, Espresso blend which I get ground for an automatic coffee maker. I drink it black. Soooo good! ^ ^

8 Sharon September 21, 2010

I actually love folgers… am I missing something. The black silk is wonderful!

9 Crystal September 22, 2010

I love Folgers too! We drink “classic roast” though.

As for whole bean coffee, my boyfriend and I love Kicking Horse Coffee. :) I would say the blend that we like best, but it has a swear word in it. ;)

10 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 21, 2010

Oh my goodness. I know I keep saying this, but every one of your posts is making me want to go back to Paris. Versailles is so beautiful! I told my mother (the biggest American Francophile OF ALL TIME, I kid you not) about your posts and she’s been LOVING them too…she even suggested going back in the winter/spring. If I get a trip to Paris out of YOUR trip to Paris, I will be eternally grateful!!

That pizza looks fantastic!! There’s a pizzeria in the Bronx that does authentic Italian pizza with roasted red peppers, tomatoes, artichokes and arugula. No cheese. It’s one of my favorite dishes on earth.

Enjoy your last few days!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2010

I hope you get to go!!

12 LeanneRBF September 21, 2010

It seems like you just got there… and you already must leave?
I bet Eric will be excited to see you!! :)

13 Lisa September 21, 2010

Keep the pictures coming!!! I love them!

14 Tina September 21, 2010

Versailles is such a pretty place. I loved their gardens.

I guess since I can’t be in Paris, I will get excited for actually having pumpkin. And my first pumpkin latte of the season tonight. :)

15 Emmanuelle September 21, 2010

Bonsoir! Unfortunately I have to confirm: pumpkin is not so popular in Europe. Not that we don’t like it, it’s just that, well, we don’t use it a lot, it’s a very North American thing. We mostly use pumpkin in soup or gratins sometimes, but that’s about it. Fall is not such a big deal pumpkin-wise over here ;-)
How long are you staying in Paris?

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2010

Good to know :)

We leave Thursday

17 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 21, 2010

I was about to post the same thing – I grew up in the French part of Switzerland, and the only pumpkin things I knew of was soup and even then that was pretty rare. When I came to the U.S. for college, I was completely in love with all things pumpkin – bread, muffins, you name it :)

18 Emmanuelle September 21, 2010

Exactement Valerie! :-)
I read mostly US and Canadian blogs, and whenever I see “canned pumpkin” in an ingredients list, I cry.
Oh well, we have other tasty things over here :-)

19 Agnieszka September 22, 2010

Pumpkin is getting popular in Europe. It is very traditional veggie for europe but not appreciated. I am living in Amsterdam now and pumpkins are everywhere. I think it depends on place. Poland is famous for pumpkins too. I love pumpkin a lot !!!!

20 Lisa September 21, 2010

I live in Vienna, Austria. Pumpkin Spice Latte is not a regular on the Starbucks menu here. They do have them in fall/halloween though.

I find it really hard to be a vegan in Europe. There are still a lot of prejudices and vegan restaurants are rare. So it’s really interesting to read how you’re handling the situation in Paris.

21 Amélie September 21, 2010

Salut Angela! Tu as l’air de passer un très beau voyage! :)
I just wanted to say that you should perhaps get your camera sensor cleaned when you get back home. The little black dots and squiggly bits you see in the sky of some of your photos is in fact dust on your sensor… It would make for much happier little blue skies on your fantastic photos ! :-)

Amélie

22 Freya September 21, 2010

Such beauuutiful pics and food!!
Yeah, pumpkin is not popular in Europe at all! Neither is peanut butter :( it sucks!

23 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 21, 2010

I think that is the one thing I have never done in Paris and it looks so beautiful. Next time I go, I’ll have to plan a visit to the Palace.

24 Sarah for Real September 21, 2010

Gorgeous! I’m so enjoying your posts these days.

As for coffee, my favorite splurge is Illy brand. (that’s I.L.L.Y… it looks funny in this font, haha). It’s an italian import I think but it’s sooooo good. If you’re used to tea, you might prefer coffee in a french press. You make it about the same as tea and it’s really way better than any coffee pot.

25 Marta September 21, 2010

I second the Illy!! so worth forking out the few extra bucks for it :)

26 Kristin September 21, 2010

Second the French Press. It’s the magic trick for achieving the frothy, creamy, richness in the coffee. It also works fine when the power is out, so long as you can boil water with a nonelectric source. The French Press is in my hurricane survival kit ;-) French Press rules. Another good tip is to buy the coffee beans and grind your coffee fresh each morning. As for kinds of coffees, I like to buy in bulk so I can have a sampling around. Fair Trade, Bold, typically from a latin american country. Sounds like you like the French coffees though. You shouldn’t have any trouble find a good French coffee.

27 suz September 21, 2010

I just read your post – I’m going to get this bc of you. It IS so good. (I’m sort of a coffee freak… hehe)

28 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 21, 2010

My all time most favorite coffee is Peet’s Coffee beans made in a French press. I’ve never had coffee in Paris (oooh la la ;) ), but Peet’s is one of the highest quality aribica beans out there imho. Always look for arabica beans… I’m not knocking it, but coffee that comes pre ground (esp brands like Folger’s, Yuban) will NOT give you the same rich flavor. A purist might say you should grind the beans fresh every time you make it and only use beans that have come from an open container that has been open less than a week (used to work at Starbucks – my favorite job of all time) ;) so glad you are loving coffee! We’ll see if you’re trading in your tea pot when you get home… ?

29 Barbara September 21, 2010

Delurking to say that I’ve loved you being here in Europe and on “our” time! It’s always strange to see breakfast posts in the afternoon and dinner posts the next morning since most of the healthy blogs I follow are written by you lovely North Americans. So big thumbs up for that!

Oh and I will agree with Emmanuelle and Lisa. Pumpkin unfortunately isn’t very popular over here. Which is why I’m dying to try a pumpkin spice latte someday!

30 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 21, 2010

I am so glad you are truly enjoying yourself!

31 Lin September 21, 2010

I’m an instant coffee drinker so I can’t give you any coffee tips :-(. I REALLY want to live in the Palace of Versailles though, maybe I’ll just plop my suitcases down in one of the rooms when I’m in Paris lol. We’ll see how quickly I’d be arrested :-P.

32 Melinda September 21, 2010

We went to Versailles too when we were there in July. It was so huge. Were there still big lines now that it is back to school time? We had the museum pass but we still had a long wait to get through security. Glad you are having a nice time and getting good weather.

33 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition September 21, 2010

Paris is such a magical place! I remember walking around with my mouth wide open and in awe. Every building is so grand and beautiful. Love it there. Enjoy!

34 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 21, 2010

How beautiful is that palace!? Can you just imagine victorian era royalty walking around in there?! So elegant and full of history!

35 Carrie @ TV and Dinners September 21, 2010

Oh…your sister’s salad is making my mouth water! It looks like the salads I had when I was traveling in Switzerland. I miss those salads, and no matter what I do cannot recreate them at home. Yum.

36 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 21, 2010

I’m learning all about Versailles in one of my classes! Very fascinating stuff.

I can be of some help on the coffee front! It is true that European coffee is better but us Yankees still have some good brands, lol. Search out Lavazza. It is seriously good coffee. Also, in general try to grind your own beans. That lends to a better tasting cup.

37 Kristi Alyse September 21, 2010

Lavazza is DELICIOUS. Both the coffee and espresso.

38 Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries September 21, 2010

I just can’t believe you’ve never had coffee!! That’s crazy to me!

39 RhodeyGirl September 21, 2010

I know pumpkin is not popular at ALL in Italy, aside from a few small towns. No idea about the other countries.

Random story, but when my parents went to Versailles years ago and had a special private dinner in the palace of versailles! I still remember my mom recounting the story to me on her bed after the trip. It sounded heavenly.

40 erica September 21, 2010

i love it that you’ve entered the world of coffee!!!!
welcome! stay awhile! :)

41 bitt September 21, 2010

Weird I thought the coffee in France was not as good as the stuff at home. I think they use different types of beans. But also I am from Seattle. We have amazing coffee.

Lovely pictures!

42 Wendy @ Seriously Sassy September 21, 2010

I adore Kevin, my Keurig single-cup coffeemaker and my favorite brand to brew is Green Mountain. Yes, I named my Keurig because he is SUCH an integral part of this household. :-)
Your photos are SERIOUSLY making me want to go to PARIS!!!

43 Runeatrepeat September 21, 2010

LOVE travel posts! Glad you’re having a great time :)

44 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 21, 2010

I just KNEW you would love Versailles! I especially loved the picture of the door handle for some reason!

45 Gail September 21, 2010

That’s interesting that pumpkins aren’t big in Europe. I have heard of the Pumpkin Festival in the countryside of France, where there’s all sorts of pumpkins in all shapes, sizes and colors. So maybe it’s more of a country thing. They don’t know what they’re missing out on! Pumpkin bread and Pumpkin pie are the best!!!

46 Seglare September 21, 2010

Beautiful pictures – as always! :) I’m glad to see you’re having such a great time.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the previous posters what comes to pumpkin in Europe – it’s one of the things I really, really miss from the US. There are various pumpkins/squashes in the stores here, but you only find few “ready-made” pumpkin goods (pumpkin puree – not to even mention pumpkin fudge, cookies…). We just have to be creative and make everything from scratch. ;) However, there is something called “gingerbread spice” that is practically the exact same thing as pumpkin spice. I’m not sure how common that is in Central Europe (it might be a North European/Scandinavian thing), but if you find something that has gingerbread spice in it, it might the closest you get to the taste of pumpkin spice. I’m afraid this won’t help with the latte addiction, though! (:

47 cali September 21, 2010

Wow … those photos of Versailles are breathtaking! You are so lucky to be there.

As for coffee, from one Canadian to another, I can tell you to visit Homesense or Winners (Homesense is usually better). They have all sorts of amazing coffee flavours in their kitchen section. Right now I am drinking “Coconut Cream Pie” but I’ve had Butterscotch and Chocolate Caramel Fudge Brownie flavours (and others!) in the past.

48 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 21, 2010

No, don’t come home. I’m loving living vicariously through you. I still need to see Notre Dame and the Sacre Coeur. :)

49 Lisa September 21, 2010

oh this brings back so many wonderful memories – it is such a magical place!
Ps – Pumpkin spiced / flavours are not really popular in Australia either!

50 CJ September 21, 2010

I’ve been thinking all day about starting a ‘bring pumpkin spice lattes’ to UK Starbucks petitions…or maybe facebook…

I second whoever said it was nice to have you posting on European time…loved all your travel posts!

– CJ

51 Heather September 21, 2010

I try to drink decaf. Decaf espresso!! Kicking Horse from BC makes the best (it is fair trade and organic!). http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en

Caffinated or not, I make it in a stovetop italian espresso maker, which in my opinion is the best way to go!! Yum!!

52 Coco September 21, 2010

Versailles was absolutely gorgeous, but you got a much better day than I did–it was misty and grey when I went!

53 Gillian September 21, 2010

I have good news for you, French coffee is not as good as some of the coffee we get in North America! The only difference is it is stronger and the cafes will often use the old fashioned espresso machine. However make a strong brew at home in a French press (I recommend any organic dark roast that you can buy bulk) and you are ready to run! Bulldog coffee in Toronto does an AMAZING Americano!

54 Charlie September 21, 2010

Those pictures are gorgeous! I’d love to go to Paris someday :D.

Illy makes great coffee… I mostly use this one at home.

55 Jess @ atasteofconfidence September 21, 2010

It’s so funny you are hooked on coffee already!

56 Tracey September 21, 2010

Paris looks beautiful! I have enjoyed all of the pictures you have taken. It looks like you girls are having so much fun! Have a great final day of the trip :)

57 Vegyogini September 21, 2010

It’s actually really good they didn’t have the pumpkin spice lattes since they’re not vegan: http://veggywood.com/2010/09/17/starbucks-holiday-drinks-not-vegan/ . :)

I’m so happy you’re thoroughly enjoying my home city away from home!

58 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 21, 2010

MMM coffee.. Does Starbucks in Paris taste better than it does here? Or is it the same? I would be really upset about the Pumpkin Spice Latte also..

59 Lori September 21, 2010

Nespresso coffee the best. Look into it. Very popular in Europe.

60 Camille September 21, 2010

Versailles is incredible!

61 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' September 21, 2010

Oh, I loved visiting Versailles! My husband and I wandered those gardens for hours when we were there– and even ate pizza nearby, too! I was really impressed by the pizza in that area!

Coffee in Europe is exceptionally good, but you can make good brewed coffee at home, too! I personally discovered Peet’s coffee (French Roast) when we moved to the West Coast, but I also love getting Starbucks (Italian or French Roast) freshly ground beans, too–> in fact, if you go into a Starbucks store, I just learned that they will grind your coffee especially for your coffee maker’s filter-type! I have a “cone” shaped filter, so it’s nice to know my beans are ground specifically for that! :D

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Paris!! Love your pictures!

62 Andrea September 21, 2010

I think pumpkin is indeed more of a North American fascination… I don’t recall encountering much of it on my various travels elsewhere! Maybe the coffee is just too delicious to mix with flavours like pumpkin? Haha. Beautiful pictures of Versailles- I never got there when I went to Paris, I’d love to see the opulence first hand!

63 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 21, 2010

I found Paris to be stunningly beautiful also. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky during my visit either! Of course, I went in May.

Is Kristi eating a Nicoise salad?

64 Fallon September 21, 2010

Wow hard to believe that Palace of Versailles is real. It is so beautiful!

65 Angela September 21, 2010

I love pumpkin but we only seem to get it in the UK for the month or so around Halloween and never tinned. The whole squash situation is very poor over here. It’s usually butternut squash or nothing. I’d love to try spaghetti squash.
I’m going to try Starbucks tomorrow as they sound yummy. I remember seeing a Christmas one last year (gingerbread??) so there is hope that we might get it.

66 Heidi - Apples Under My Bed September 21, 2010

Oh I LOVE Versaille! What lovely, sunny weather :)
& i dont recall seeing pumpkin used much in France. It is never used in Australia. Occasionally we have pumpkin scones, but that is it!
Heidi xo

67 christina cadden September 21, 2010

Oh, I love all your photos! I have a slight obsession with PSL as well!

68 Lacey September 21, 2010

We have a local bean roaster in Nashville that makes the absolute Best Coffee I have EVER HAD. His name is Drew and he sells Drew’s Brews in Nashville and I believe you can purchase them online. I had given up on finding good coffee until I found Drew’s Brews!
The Italian coffee izze is pretty good too :)

69 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 21, 2010

Pumpkin is really hard to find in Europe. My dad is English, so I’ve spent Thanksgiving over in England before and we had to find a real WHOLE pumpkin and make pureed pumpkin out of it to make pumpkin pie. SO MUCH WORK!

70 amanda September 21, 2010

love gevalia breakfast blend. its so smooth. its mail order but worth it.

71 Paige @ Running Around Normal September 21, 2010

How BEAUTIFUL!!! Bummer on the no pumpkin spice lattes though, heh :)

72 stacey-healthylife September 21, 2010

That is a whole lot of gold.

73 Melanie September 21, 2010

I was just in Paris again back in April and I love it! I’m so glad you’re enjoying your time there. It’s one of my favorite places in the world.

Funny as I totally recognize that Starbucks you were at near Versailles! I also went there on our trip. :-)

Enjoy the rest of your time there!

74 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 21, 2010

Versailles is so gorgeous. I heard it’s too big to fit in one picture. Of course with today’s panoramic cameras..I guess it could happen! :P

It must have been nice to have such wonderful music on the train even though he did beg for money affterward. It reminds me of when my family visited San Francisco..there was a really good guitar player that set up next to the line for the trolleys and after he played a few songs he would go up to each person and ask for money. It was kind of intrusive..

75 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 21, 2010

I’ve been dying to visit the Palace of Versailles since learning about it in one of my classes last year. It’s so gorgeous!

76 Brooke September 21, 2010

I’m right there with Kristi…obsession with Pumpkin Spice Lattes! I haven’t tried the ones from Starbucks yet (::blush::), but I’ve been making a Pumpkin Spice Coffee at home and it’s LOVELY!

These pictures are just breathtaking!!! The one of the gold gates…holy gorgeous!! :-) Glad to see you guys are having a great time! Travel safe!

77 Jessica (Fit and Clean) September 21, 2010

Wow, you are coming home already? Time is sure flying! The Europeans probably think they’re too good for pumpkin, LOL

78 Rebecca September 21, 2010

Your photos are beautiful.

I personally don’t like just coffee, my favourites are Mocha or Vanilla Lattes. I don’t drink alot of coffee I prefer to have Hot Chocolates, which I am having right now :-)

79 Kim (Eat and Be) September 21, 2010

I have been loving your posts! After living for Europe (Malta) with my in-laws from April-June, a lot of your experiences are really making me miss it!
First up: I use Lavazza Espresso (can buy at Superstore in Canada) to make a soy-almond-cinnamon-honey latte each morning. (3/4 cup soy milk, 1/4 cup almond milk, 2 Tbsp. honey and a lot of cinnamon, along with a big shot of Espresso made from my stovetop espresso maker). Love it!
And? The pizza oil is the bomb in France. I was in the south of France and loved it so much that I now have my own bottle of it on my countertop here in Calgary. I think it is just extra virgin olive oil w/ red peppers, no?
Anywya, have a great rest of your trip!

80 Laura @ Starloz September 21, 2010

angela, step away from the coffee. it’s an incredibly bad habit. think of your heart.

guess what, australia doesnt get pumpkin spice latte’s either. sadness!

81 Viviane September 21, 2010

Thank you for sharing your Versailles pictures, I would LOVE to go one day!!
I think you even caught sight of a UFO in those pictures… LOL!!!!!

82 Annie (Delicious Wellness) September 21, 2010

When I lived in France, I told my host mom I wanted to bake a pumpkin pie to celebrate Thanksgiving, and she made the weirdest face… “Pumpkin?!” hahaha

83 betsy September 21, 2010

I have a Bodum French Press and make coffee everyday in it. Starbucks Morning Joe usually. I LOVE coffee and glad you do too now.
Paris is wonderful! Love your pics. Makes me want to go back. Enjoy your time with your family there :)

84 Lianne September 21, 2010

aaaaaaw i love paris!!! it looks so beautiful over there :) the versailles is crazy right?? when i visited, i couldn’t believe how huge it was!

85 Wei-Wei September 21, 2010

And I was JUST studying the French Revolution in History class… look at the golden gates of the Palace! They’re amazing!

86 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 21, 2010

It’s true…Parisian coffee is in a class all its own. However, I’m still obsessed with coffee….even the lesser versions found in the States ;-). haha Versailles looks amazinnng. That is one place I have always wanted to experience.

87 Danielle September 21, 2010

I’m always amazed at elaborate paintings on ceilings – it’s hard enough to paint such pictures on a canvas, let alone on a ceiling!

88 rachel September 21, 2010

beautiful photos, love those buildings and all the columns! enjoy your last day! i would be so sad leaving paris!

89 Krystina September 21, 2010

I’m so impressed by the variety of food you’ve been able to find! It all looks fab.

90 amie September 21, 2010

coffee will never be as good as coffee in paris or anywhere in belgium!! you’re spoiled for life now!! although, i have to say that i found a super dark roast coffee at the little market down the road from me that i just tried this morning and it was AMAZING. the trick is to buy whole beans and grind them yourself every time you make a pot. yum!

pumpkin is NOT popular in europe at all! i lived in london for a year and couldn’t find canned pumpkin at all for canadian thanksgiving or christmas, heartbreaking!! and all the english people i explained pumpkin pie to thought i was totally crazy! the idea of pumpkin being sweet instead of savory was totally foreign to them!

91 Valerie September 21, 2010

I am in LOVE with Paris. :) Versailles is gorgeous… It’s so hard to imagine that someone actually lived there once, in such opulence. Great pictures!

92 Danielle September 21, 2010

Your pictures are fantastic! Paris looks beautiful!

The best coffee I’ve ever had was kicking horse. As a bonus it is fair trade and organic. I had this coffee almost 2 years ago when I still needed to put sugar in my coffee. We were at a cottage and didn’t have any sugar so I had to go without. It was such a wondercoffee that I didn’t need any sugar at all! Still my all time favourite. I would buy it but I’m a poor student and it is kind of pricey :( lol. I have seen it at many grocery stores in Ontario.

93 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 21, 2010

WOW that is so incredible to me because I was obsessed with Marie Antoinette as a child… yes, I was a strange one.

94 Larinna @ iheartspandex.com September 21, 2010

Thanks for bring Paris to us! I’m loving these photos. Any suggestions on some Paris goodies you enjoyed that are sold stateside?

Enjoy your trip! I’m wishing I was there with my mom and sis!

95 Amanda@thegrainsofparadise September 21, 2010

Wow! Wow! Wow! So beautiful!! Never been to Europe….so far from moi! Love the pics!
Aloha,
A

96 Peggy September 21, 2010

Ahh isn’t Versailles incredible? Feels like a peek into another time. Did you see the gardens?! I almost thought those were better than the palace itself. I want to move in…

97 Lauren September 21, 2010

I’ve heard bad things about Paris but you are putting those rumors to rest, it looks absolutely breathtaking! As does the food :)

98 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life September 21, 2010

Oh, so beautiful! Stunning to think people used to live there. I hope you’re having an amazing time!

99 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 22, 2010

the pictures are gorgeous, what a trip!

and all european coffee is phenomenal, and it pales in comparison to anything we can get in N. America I think!

i have to chuckle as I really dont like starbucks, i think their coffee is wayyyyy over rated. It was good like 10 yrs ago but something happened. I think it was a blessing in disguise she coudlnt get a pumpkin latte, just means more room for REAL coffee while still on this amazing paris adventure! :)

100 Marie-Sophie September 22, 2010

Yes, the European coffee tends to be a lot better than American or Canadian coffee (sorry guys!) – that’s why Starbucks is so successful over there and not really successful over here!
I live in Germany and here you can get decent (up to really good!) coffee at every bakery.

Just do a little research when you come back on where to get really really good coffee from (your sister will have some precious advice, I’m sure :-)) and then invest a little … totally worth it!

Don’t know if they allow you to take some coffee over – but you really should ask the people at your hotel what coffee they’re using and take a bag home with you :-) !

101 Sportsgirl September 22, 2010

Oh my, I would love a slice of that pizza!! Yummy!

102 Sportsgirl September 22, 2010

PS.
I don’t think pumpkin is popular outside of North America. We don’t have pumpkin spice lattes down under either! Pumpkin baked goods aren’t popular here either. I hadn’t even heard of using pumpkin in baked goods until I read it on the internet!

103 Laura September 22, 2010

Oh this is making me laugh. You’ve found coffee and are flying headlong into the love affair so many of us are trying to end! However, yes, it’s a wonderful and delicious thing. I’d guess nothing will ever taste like your first coffee love in Paris, but if I were you I’d buy whole beans from your local health food store. The Equal Exchange brand is usually what we see here in the US, but usually whatever they have at the health food store is organic and fair trade. Not only is coffee a highly sprayed crop, but somehow the organic stuff just tastes better to me. I agree, grind your own and get a french press or a simple drip like a chemex. If you heat the soymilk it will be just like cafe au lait!

104 MJ September 22, 2010

Your pictures are amazing indeed. Glad you and your sister and mom are enjoying your trip and found some good food in the process.

As for coffee, I like Timothy’s World Coffee (needs a Keurig machine as they are K-cups and make individual cups of coffee or tea). Starbucks is good too. But for when I make a pot at home it’s Maxwell House Dark Rich Roast. I too am not a fan of Foldgers.

105 MJ September 22, 2010

ok I forgot, the absolute best coffe I’ve had to date comes from the Dominican Republic. I so need to go back and get another bag of coffee beans. (I have a grinder and I use a French Press too) Never been to Europe or Paris, but I’m sure if you ask your friends/family for suggestions you can find something you like. Try going to some of those “brand name” coffee websites and see if you can get a free sample or a coupon to try it for the first time. Great way to taste-test and see what you like without putting up a fortune. (if you don’t like it and someone you know does, hand it off to them)

106 Little Aspects September 22, 2010

Coffee is the best! If you’re going to start brewing coffee at home – please buy Fairtrade coffee!! :)

PS – in Australia, we don’t use pumpkin in baked goods either – we make it into soup or roast it! (or, as I did tonight, roast it and put it into a salad with rocket or baby spinach and pecan nuts, drizzle with olive oil and caramelised balsamic vinegar :)

107 Chase @ The Chase Project September 22, 2010

I am loving these Paris recaps! It makes me want to go to Paris with my mom and sisters! =)

108 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 22, 2010

WHAT, no PSLs?? Tragic! I think the Versailles photos make up for it though. It looks beautiful! My next trip might just have to be to France… ;)

109 Megan @ Sweet On... September 22, 2010

The whole year I lived in Germany I didn’t see pumpkin ANYTHING, including during trips to Sweden, Portugal, Amsterdam, and Paris. At Thanksgiving I scoured all the stores and ended up having to buy an actual pumpkin, roast it, and mash the insides just to make pumpkin cookies. I guess it’s just not a thing!

110 Marie-Sophie September 22, 2010

:-D Yes, that’s true … not a bit of canned pumpkin in sight in Germany!! Makes me very sad when pumpkin season starts in the US & Canada and you guys make the loveliest looking meals and I just cannot make them!! (well, or I had to go and roast a whole pumpkin … might actually have to do it this year ;-))

111 brandi September 22, 2010

Okay, my husband and I are GOOD coffee fiends – we don’t drink crappy coffee, so here are our best tips to have perfect coffee at home.

– Buy GOOD coffee to begin with. Good quality (see what brands they might offer in stores there), freshly roasted if you can find it at coffee shops near your home.
– GRIND the beans right before you make it. Freshly ground coffee makes SUCH a difference.
– Use either a french press or coffee syphon to make the coffee. We love our french press, but we honestly haven’t used it once since December when we got our coffee syphon. It’s so fun to use and it makes amazing coffee!

112 jenna September 22, 2010

those salads look so wonderful! I can’t believe your time there is almost over! did you go to the eiffel tower?

113 Bee Goes Bananas September 22, 2010

I went to Latin America this summer and got hooked on their coffee. It’s funny how coffee can taste so different from place to place. I loved it so much I bought several bags of grounds and beans to take home and enjoy later.

114 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 22, 2010

I can’t believe your trip is almost over! It seems like you just left!

115 Jazz September 22, 2010

Mooo hoo ahha, welcome to the world of coffee addiction/love. I like the french press as well – as long as you grind the beans as you go and get yourself some high quality beans…. right now I have the Starbucks anniversary blend which I like..

116 Sue September 22, 2010

Hi Angela,
so nice to see how you are enjoying your trip!
Just for you info: pumpkin IS kind of popular here in Germany, but only in savory dished. You won’t find any sweet baked goods with pumpkin in them. We also don’t have canned pumpkin over here (*sob*) and fresh pumpkin is very seasonal, you can only find it during fall and winter. But I honestly LOVE pumpkin soup! I have to make it again asap!
Gingerbread spice sounds like a good alternative to pumpkin spice, though. I think Starbucks had some Gingerbread Latte last winter.

117 Keri September 22, 2010

FYI about pumpkin:
Pumpkin is not usually eaten in Europe. My mother in law spent a year in England. She said she tried to find pumpkin once and everyone she asked replied that people don’t eat pumpkin, pigs eat pumpkin. Since it’s a type of squash, it’s native to southwestern North America and was only introduced to Europe after the Europeans settled North America.

118 Amber K September 22, 2010

I hate coffee, so personally I think it all tastes disgusting! Then again, I never tried it when I was in Europe.

119 Cathy Breit September 22, 2010

looks like you’ve gotten plenty of coffee suggestions, but to add my to cents:
**True coffee connosseiurs do not consider French coffee to be that superior! Maybe its the atmosphere :)
**Second, and most importantly: coffee is only as good as how freshly roasted the beans are and how freshly ground they are when you prepare your coffee.
**In my mind it is entirely possible to make a far superior cup of coffee at home than anywhere in public, but jsut like cooking or baking, making coffee (good coffee) is an art!
**Make it strong enough!
**Use a French press. Makes for incredible aroma, body, and froth!
**If you add milk (or soymilk) pour it into your cup FIRST, heat it up a bit, and THEN pour in your coffee= maximum froth and creaminess :)’
**Try different region’s coffees and find the one that suits your fancy. Columbian, Guatamalan, Costa Rican, Indian, Kenyan, etc. Also bear in mind that the type of roast that is given to each particular bean will affect the final outcome (light, dark, French, Full-city etc.)

120 Cathy Breit September 22, 2010

I should also note that it is best to buy from a company that regularly(ideally it is DAILY) roasts their own beans on site. Where I live (about an hour from Minneapolis) there are several good coffee shops that roast their own, but if you happen to be a ways from any, your best bet would likely be to order from a company that does this. Trust me, the quality is worth it!

121 melissa @ the delicate place September 22, 2010

gahh i’m so jealous! i went to paris this march and stayed for 8 days. i loved every second, it might be my fave city in the world! enjoy your last days! i took pics of my eats/adventures too in paris, check it out if you have some time :) all my days are listed here: http://thedelicateplace.wordpress.com/?s=paris

122 Cynthia September 22, 2010

Your pictures are making me reminisce about my honeymoon 2 years ago. Versailles was such a beautiful place. I loved Paris so much. Glad you are having fun!

123 Violet September 22, 2010

Wow, the Palace is amazing! So awesome to see all your wonderful photos, thank you. I loved the pointed doorknob. BTW, I believe pumpkin is a New World food and not indigenous to Europe, therefore not offered at Starbucks! They don’t know what they are missing. :-) Continue having so much fun, happy travels!

124 Bree September 22, 2010

I am by no means a coffee connoisseur, but I do really like Dunkin Donuts original/medium roast. We don’t have Dunkin stores here, but you can find the coffee in stores. We also buy most of our whole bean coffee from Costco and I just today opened a new bag of a new-to-me brand called First Colony. It is organic and fair trade and I really liked it! If I remember right, you have Costco there?

125 Maya September 22, 2010

I lived in French speaking Belgium last year, and unfortunately, pumpkin isn’t very popular in France. They mainly use pumpkin in savory dishes/soups, not for sweet uses. My host mom was quite surprised when I told her of all the uses for pumpkin in the states! Glad you have such beautiful weather in Paris!

126 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 22, 2010

can you imagine getting married there!!!! if they let me id probably die before i said ” I DO” … just the vast beauty and trying to take it all in, would be enough to kill a person lol

xoxo <3

127 Leah @ Why Deprive? September 22, 2010

Im surprised about the pumpkin spice lattes. Theyre such a hit here.

Those pictures are amazing. Everything is so intricate – we just dont have that kind of thing around here.

128 Kristin P September 22, 2010

I was just in Paris for the first time earlier in the summer and I LOVED it!! I went to Versaille too and it was amazing. I rented a bike to explore the gardens. You MUST take your dairy -eating fam to get Berthillon ice cream on Ile de St Luis! AMAZING. I loved the salted caramel. And I can tell you from recent experience, no, the coffee here is def not as good!! I went looking for eurpean coffee places when I got back to NYC.
also if you are interested- I took a Fat Tire Bike Tour in Paris and that was really fun. Enjoy :)

129 Natalia - a side of simple September 22, 2010

This is bringing back such wonderful memories of my visit to Paris. So happy you are enjoying yourself, Angela!

130 Laura September 22, 2010

I’m English and we don’t put pumkin in anything… The only time we really use it is to carve halloween faces! I tend to use butternut squash and sweet potato as much as you guys would use pumpkin. Although saying that, I don’t think strabucks do a butternut squash latte! Would like to give it a go though as it does look yummy. x

131 Miranda @ MirandasJeans September 22, 2010

OMG Versaille. My heart honest to goodness started to flutter. If only life were a perpetual vacation I would be in Paris/Europe all the time.

I think I am resolving from your trip that I will return to Paris/France (to explore more) before 10 years is up since my first trip. That leaves me with just over 7 years to go.

132 Sean @ Learn Fitness September 22, 2010

Awesome pics … keep them coming. If your looking for good coffee when you return check out Intelligencia and their website. You can order their beans online and they are truly amazing … a bunch of people at the HLS tried it from their cafes in Chicago and loved it as well.

133 Faith @ lovelyascharged September 23, 2010

Oh man, between the candy shop and the Louis Vuitton my wallet would be SCREWED!

134 Laura September 24, 2010

Agreeing with the many previous posters that pumpkin is purely thought of as a vegetable in Europe, and is served in savoury dishes only. I live in the UK, and set out a canadian thanksgiving buffet last year…but all my British friends ate the pumpkin pie for the main course, thinking pumpkin=savoury veg, not pumpkin=dessert!
And personally, I really like Tim Hortons coffee.

135 Natasha September 24, 2010

I understand the disappointment that is Starbucks Paris. Heck I deal with it all the time. I miss Gingerbread lattes too. They had them in the UK, and really Paris isn’t THAT far away. They didn’t have pumpkin spice in the UK either, and I am so eager to taste it after all I’ve heard about it xxx

136 Monique@She's Going The Distance September 24, 2010

Ohh when I lived in Nice I only found a few Starbucks the entire time. Lyon around Christmas had pumpkin spice lattes and also peppermint. I think Geneva was pretty similar. However, I never once had a Starbucks in Europe. It was like 7 Euros at the time for a tall, which back then was close to $12 USD!!!