Palace of Versailles

I am seriously hooked on this coffee.

20100921IMG 8304 thumb   Palace of Versailles

Green tea, what green tea? ;) Someone save me! No, actually don’t save me. I don’t ever want to be apart from this coffee. I’m sad because I hear that the coffee back at home won’t taste as good as Paris coffee. Is this true!?

What are your favourite brands of coffee to make at home? We do have a brand new coffee maker that we have only used twice for guests before (it was a wedding gift). Perhaps I should dust it off when I get home. ;)

The highlight of breakfast this morning included this VOO Parfait my sister made for herself! I was so proud.

20100921IMG 8308 thumb   Palace of Versailles

My breakfast was similar to my previous days. :) Delicious and filling as always.

Then we were off to Versailles! We walked to the train station. I meant to mention the other day that the Metro (subway) system is just amazing here. It was a piece of cake to navigate once we figured out how the lines worked.

20100921IMG 8324 thumb   Palace of Versailles

We were serenaded on the train

It was charming.

20100921IMG 8332 thumb   Palace of Versailles

That is, until he walked up to each person afterward, stuck out his coin purse, and asked for money. lol.

After about 30 minutes on the train, we made it.

20100921IMG 8342 thumb   Palace of Versailles

If you couldn’t tell, the weather here has been perfect! Sunny every day and around 20-25 Celsius. We couldn’t have asked for more. I heard Paris is typically cloudy and gray, but we haven’t had any clouds the entire stay!

20100921IMG 8353 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8345 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8352 thumb   Palace of Versailles

The Palace of Versailles is amazing!

20100921IMG 8354 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8358 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8359 thumb   Palace of Versailles

Ohhh yea.

20100921IMG 8363 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8365 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8366 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8369 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8371 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8377 thumb   Palace of Versailles 20100921IMG 8379 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8380 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8387 thumb   Palace of Versailles20100921IMG 8391 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8393 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8394 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8395 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8396 thumb   Palace of Versailles

Those are some fire logs!!

20100921IMG 8397 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8402 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8410 thumb   Palace of Versailles

The gardens were beautiful and went on forever!

20100921IMG 8413 thumb   Palace of Versailles

Afterward, we stopped into Starbucks for a refresher.

20100921IMG 8415 thumb   Palace of Versailles

This is the face you make when you find out that Paris Starbucks don’t make Pumpkin Spiced Lattes! I wonder if pumpkin is not popular in Europe? I haven’t seen any baked goods made out of pumpkin yet.

20100921IMG 8418 thumb   Palace of Versailles

Kristi has a little obsession with Pumpkin Spiced Lattes. ;)

Not long after our stomachs wanted food once again. We stopped in at a nearby restaurant for lunch.

20100921IMG 8435 thumb   Palace of Versailles

We started with Guacamole and chips:

20100921IMG 8419 thumb   Palace of Versailles

My mom had the chicken salad which was humongous and so beautiful! The presentation here is just wonderful.

20100921IMG 8421 thumb   Palace of Versailles

And Kristi had another kind of salad that was equally as beautiful!

20100921IMG 8422 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8423 thumb   Palace of Versailles

They loved both of them!

20100921IMG 8424 thumb   Palace of Versailles

I decided on a pizza!

20100921IMG 8428 thumb   Palace of Versailles

It had roasted red peppers, artichokes, eggplant, and mushrooms. It was SO delicious!

20100921IMG 8431 thumb   Palace of Versailles

They brought me this pizza oil and it was really good to drizzle on.

20100921IMG 8425 thumb   Palace of Versailles

20100921IMG 8433 thumb   Palace of Versailles

Part II of our day is coming on up. :)

Wednesday is our last full day in Paris and then we depart Thursday morning for home. Six nights goes by so fast!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 21, 2010

Are you putting cream in your coffee?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2010

soy milk

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 21, 2010

can you imagine how much work it is to take care of those gardens?! oh my goodness, i would die! i feel like i’m in a little fairytale when i read these recaps :)

Allison @ Food For Healing September 21, 2010

gah its so beautiful! No pumpkin spice lattes though? what has this world come to!

Laura @ Tidbits September 21, 2010

your pictures are stunning!!!! i’ve been drooling over them in every post you make imagining I was there with you ladies.

as for coffee, I’m one who loves my 1 cup of coffee in the morning before work, preceeded by a big mug of green tea for my morning at work. ;) the best of both worlds! I absolutely love all of the President’s Choice coffees – the Great Canadian one is my favourite, but they’re all amazing. (the price is right too!) DO NOT buy Foldgers. I swear it’s like poison! (not literally but you know) My fiance and I bought a big container over a month ago because it was a great price and we regret that purchase every single time we make a new pot. The PC coffee is a million times better.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Jessica September 21, 2010

I used to drink Folger’s at work (mainly out of boredom), because that is what they buy. And it made me nauseous every time I drank it. I didn’t figure it out until the second time I drank it. I will never buy that stuff!

suz September 21, 2010

Ditto on the Folgers! No bueno. I prefer Taster’s Choice. lol Actually, my absolute favorite is Caribou Coffee, Espresso blend which I get ground for an automatic coffee maker. I drink it black. Soooo good! ^ ^

Sharon September 21, 2010

I actually love folgers… am I missing something. The black silk is wonderful!

Crystal September 22, 2010

I love Folgers too! We drink “classic roast” though.

As for whole bean coffee, my boyfriend and I love Kicking Horse Coffee. :) I would say the blend that we like best, but it has a swear word in it. ;)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 21, 2010

Oh my goodness. I know I keep saying this, but every one of your posts is making me want to go back to Paris. Versailles is so beautiful! I told my mother (the biggest American Francophile OF ALL TIME, I kid you not) about your posts and she’s been LOVING them too…she even suggested going back in the winter/spring. If I get a trip to Paris out of YOUR trip to Paris, I will be eternally grateful!!

That pizza looks fantastic!! There’s a pizzeria in the Bronx that does authentic Italian pizza with roasted red peppers, tomatoes, artichokes and arugula. No cheese. It’s one of my favorite dishes on earth.

Enjoy your last few days!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2010

I hope you get to go!!

LeanneRBF September 21, 2010

It seems like you just got there… and you already must leave?
I bet Eric will be excited to see you!! :)

Lisa September 21, 2010

Keep the pictures coming!!! I love them!

Tina September 21, 2010

Versailles is such a pretty place. I loved their gardens.

I guess since I can’t be in Paris, I will get excited for actually having pumpkin. And my first pumpkin latte of the season tonight. :)

Emmanuelle September 21, 2010

Bonsoir! Unfortunately I have to confirm: pumpkin is not so popular in Europe. Not that we don’t like it, it’s just that, well, we don’t use it a lot, it’s a very North American thing. We mostly use pumpkin in soup or gratins sometimes, but that’s about it. Fall is not such a big deal pumpkin-wise over here ;-)
How long are you staying in Paris?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2010

Good to know :)

We leave Thursday

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 21, 2010

I was about to post the same thing – I grew up in the French part of Switzerland, and the only pumpkin things I knew of was soup and even then that was pretty rare. When I came to the U.S. for college, I was completely in love with all things pumpkin – bread, muffins, you name it :)

Emmanuelle September 21, 2010

Exactement Valerie! :-)
I read mostly US and Canadian blogs, and whenever I see “canned pumpkin” in an ingredients list, I cry.
Oh well, we have other tasty things over here :-)

Agnieszka September 22, 2010

Pumpkin is getting popular in Europe. It is very traditional veggie for europe but not appreciated. I am living in Amsterdam now and pumpkins are everywhere. I think it depends on place. Poland is famous for pumpkins too. I love pumpkin a lot !!!!

Lisa September 21, 2010

I live in Vienna, Austria. Pumpkin Spice Latte is not a regular on the Starbucks menu here. They do have them in fall/halloween though.

I find it really hard to be a vegan in Europe. There are still a lot of prejudices and vegan restaurants are rare. So it’s really interesting to read how you’re handling the situation in Paris.

Amélie September 21, 2010

Salut Angela! Tu as l’air de passer un très beau voyage! :)
I just wanted to say that you should perhaps get your camera sensor cleaned when you get back home. The little black dots and squiggly bits you see in the sky of some of your photos is in fact dust on your sensor… It would make for much happier little blue skies on your fantastic photos ! :-)

Amélie

Freya September 21, 2010

Such beauuutiful pics and food!!
Yeah, pumpkin is not popular in Europe at all! Neither is peanut butter :( it sucks!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 21, 2010

I think that is the one thing I have never done in Paris and it looks so beautiful. Next time I go, I’ll have to plan a visit to the Palace.

Sarah for Real September 21, 2010

Gorgeous! I’m so enjoying your posts these days.

As for coffee, my favorite splurge is Illy brand. (that’s I.L.L.Y… it looks funny in this font, haha). It’s an italian import I think but it’s sooooo good. If you’re used to tea, you might prefer coffee in a french press. You make it about the same as tea and it’s really way better than any coffee pot.

Marta September 21, 2010

I second the Illy!! so worth forking out the few extra bucks for it :)

Kristin September 21, 2010

Second the French Press. It’s the magic trick for achieving the frothy, creamy, richness in the coffee. It also works fine when the power is out, so long as you can boil water with a nonelectric source. The French Press is in my hurricane survival kit ;-) French Press rules. Another good tip is to buy the coffee beans and grind your coffee fresh each morning. As for kinds of coffees, I like to buy in bulk so I can have a sampling around. Fair Trade, Bold, typically from a latin american country. Sounds like you like the French coffees though. You shouldn’t have any trouble find a good French coffee.

suz September 21, 2010

I just read your post – I’m going to get this bc of you. It IS so good. (I’m sort of a coffee freak… hehe)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 21, 2010

My all time most favorite coffee is Peet’s Coffee beans made in a French press. I’ve never had coffee in Paris (oooh la la ;) ), but Peet’s is one of the highest quality aribica beans out there imho. Always look for arabica beans… I’m not knocking it, but coffee that comes pre ground (esp brands like Folger’s, Yuban) will NOT give you the same rich flavor. A purist might say you should grind the beans fresh every time you make it and only use beans that have come from an open container that has been open less than a week (used to work at Starbucks – my favorite job of all time) ;) so glad you are loving coffee! We’ll see if you’re trading in your tea pot when you get home… ?

Barbara September 21, 2010

Delurking to say that I’ve loved you being here in Europe and on “our” time! It’s always strange to see breakfast posts in the afternoon and dinner posts the next morning since most of the healthy blogs I follow are written by you lovely North Americans. So big thumbs up for that!

Oh and I will agree with Emmanuelle and Lisa. Pumpkin unfortunately isn’t very popular over here. Which is why I’m dying to try a pumpkin spice latte someday!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 21, 2010

I am so glad you are truly enjoying yourself!

Lin September 21, 2010

I’m an instant coffee drinker so I can’t give you any coffee tips :-(. I REALLY want to live in the Palace of Versailles though, maybe I’ll just plop my suitcases down in one of the rooms when I’m in Paris lol. We’ll see how quickly I’d be arrested :-P.

Melinda September 21, 2010

We went to Versailles too when we were there in July. It was so huge. Were there still big lines now that it is back to school time? We had the museum pass but we still had a long wait to get through security. Glad you are having a nice time and getting good weather.

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition September 21, 2010

Paris is such a magical place! I remember walking around with my mouth wide open and in awe. Every building is so grand and beautiful. Love it there. Enjoy!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 21, 2010

How beautiful is that palace!? Can you just imagine victorian era royalty walking around in there?! So elegant and full of history!

Carrie @ TV and Dinners September 21, 2010

Oh…your sister’s salad is making my mouth water! It looks like the salads I had when I was traveling in Switzerland. I miss those salads, and no matter what I do cannot recreate them at home. Yum.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 21, 2010

I’m learning all about Versailles in one of my classes! Very fascinating stuff.

I can be of some help on the coffee front! It is true that European coffee is better but us Yankees still have some good brands, lol. Search out Lavazza. It is seriously good coffee. Also, in general try to grind your own beans. That lends to a better tasting cup.

Kristi Alyse September 21, 2010

Lavazza is DELICIOUS. Both the coffee and espresso.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries September 21, 2010

I just can’t believe you’ve never had coffee!! That’s crazy to me!

RhodeyGirl September 21, 2010

I know pumpkin is not popular at ALL in Italy, aside from a few small towns. No idea about the other countries.

Random story, but when my parents went to Versailles years ago and had a special private dinner in the palace of versailles! I still remember my mom recounting the story to me on her bed after the trip. It sounded heavenly.

erica September 21, 2010

i love it that you’ve entered the world of coffee!!!!
welcome! stay awhile! :)

bitt September 21, 2010

Weird I thought the coffee in France was not as good as the stuff at home. I think they use different types of beans. But also I am from Seattle. We have amazing coffee.

Lovely pictures!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy September 21, 2010

I adore Kevin, my Keurig single-cup coffeemaker and my favorite brand to brew is Green Mountain. Yes, I named my Keurig because he is SUCH an integral part of this household. :-)
Your photos are SERIOUSLY making me want to go to PARIS!!!

Runeatrepeat September 21, 2010

LOVE travel posts! Glad you’re having a great time :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 21, 2010

I just KNEW you would love Versailles! I especially loved the picture of the door handle for some reason!

Gail September 21, 2010

That’s interesting that pumpkins aren’t big in Europe. I have heard of the Pumpkin Festival in the countryside of France, where there’s all sorts of pumpkins in all shapes, sizes and colors. So maybe it’s more of a country thing. They don’t know what they’re missing out on! Pumpkin bread and Pumpkin pie are the best!!!

Seglare September 21, 2010

Beautiful pictures – as always! :) I’m glad to see you’re having such a great time.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the previous posters what comes to pumpkin in Europe – it’s one of the things I really, really miss from the US. There are various pumpkins/squashes in the stores here, but you only find few “ready-made” pumpkin goods (pumpkin puree – not to even mention pumpkin fudge, cookies…). We just have to be creative and make everything from scratch. ;) However, there is something called “gingerbread spice” that is practically the exact same thing as pumpkin spice. I’m not sure how common that is in Central Europe (it might be a North European/Scandinavian thing), but if you find something that has gingerbread spice in it, it might the closest you get to the taste of pumpkin spice. I’m afraid this won’t help with the latte addiction, though! (:

cali September 21, 2010

Wow … those photos of Versailles are breathtaking! You are so lucky to be there.

As for coffee, from one Canadian to another, I can tell you to visit Homesense or Winners (Homesense is usually better). They have all sorts of amazing coffee flavours in their kitchen section. Right now I am drinking “Coconut Cream Pie” but I’ve had Butterscotch and Chocolate Caramel Fudge Brownie flavours (and others!) in the past.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 21, 2010

No, don’t come home. I’m loving living vicariously through you. I still need to see Notre Dame and the Sacre Coeur. :)

Lisa September 21, 2010

oh this brings back so many wonderful memories – it is such a magical place!
Ps – Pumpkin spiced / flavours are not really popular in Australia either!

CJ September 21, 2010

I’ve been thinking all day about starting a ‘bring pumpkin spice lattes’ to UK Starbucks petitions…or maybe facebook…

I second whoever said it was nice to have you posting on European time…loved all your travel posts!

- CJ

Heather September 21, 2010

I try to drink decaf. Decaf espresso!! Kicking Horse from BC makes the best (it is fair trade and organic!). http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en

Caffinated or not, I make it in a stovetop italian espresso maker, which in my opinion is the best way to go!! Yum!!

Coco September 21, 2010

Versailles was absolutely gorgeous, but you got a much better day than I did–it was misty and grey when I went!

Gillian September 21, 2010

I have good news for you, French coffee is not as good as some of the coffee we get in North America! The only difference is it is stronger and the cafes will often use the old fashioned espresso machine. However make a strong brew at home in a French press (I recommend any organic dark roast that you can buy bulk) and you are ready to run! Bulldog coffee in Toronto does an AMAZING Americano!

Charlie September 21, 2010

Those pictures are gorgeous! I’d love to go to Paris someday :D.

Illy makes great coffee… I mostly use this one at home.

Page 1 of 3123»