Fellini

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 21, 2010

Good morning!

Last night we headed out to an Italian restaurant called Fellini that my sister’s friend told her is a ‘must visit’ whenever she is in Paris. This place is rated one of the top restaurants in the city and we were eager to try it out!

20100921-fellini

[image source]

It is a gorgeous restaurant! Warm, inviting, cozy.

20100920-IMG_8237

20100920-IMG_8238

20100920-IMG_8236

20100920-IMG_8240

20100920-IMG_8244

We munched on some breadsticks…

20100920-IMG_8239

The wine flowed and flowed.

20100920-IMG_8247

The restaurant staff all made their way to our table at some point. They were friendly, accommodating, and warm. Our server even entertained my French with a smile. ;)

Everything is made fresh, from the pasta to the tomato sauce.

They even brought out a huge plate of Porcini mushrooms to show us!

20100920-IMG_8246

We also had bread with oil and balsamic

20100920-IMG_8252

For our appetizer, we had the Artichoke with fresh mint and garlic:

20100920-IMG_8254

It was out of this world delicious.

I asked the server about dishes and I was surprised to find out that I could choose from about 10 different pasta options!

For my main, I got the thin fresh pasta with tomato and basil sauce.

20100920-IMG_8260

Oh dear me. Words cannot describe my friends. It was hands down the best Italian meal I have ever tasted. You know how I said I am not a huge pasta fan? Well, apparently I have been eating the wrong Italian food!!

20100920-IMG_8259

When the server put my plate down in front of me, the aroma of basil filled the air. It was mouth watering to say the least.

My sister has the thin fresh pasta with Porcini mushrooms in a garlic and olive oil sauce. I couldn’t decide which one I liked better! It was outstanding.

20100920-IMG_8257

My mom had the spinach and ricotta cheese fresh ravioli.

20100920-IMG_8258

My sis and mom both said it was delicious.

For dessert, biscotti and dark chocolate!

20100920-IMG_8263

20100920-IMG_8264

After lingering over delicious wine & conversation for a while, we headed over to a wine and jazz bar that the servers told us about. It was a miracle we found it, hobbling along in our high heels on the cobblestone roads! When we got there we were told that it was full and we couldn’t get in. We made our way back to the hotel and had our own festivities with the Champagne that my sister bought for us.

20100920-IMG_8267

20100920-IMG_8270

Time to pop the bottle!

20100920-IMG_827320100920-IMG_8285 20100920-IMG_828620100920-IMG_8287

Wheeee.

20100920-IMG_8288 20100920-IMG_8299

Delicious.

20100920-IMG_8301

We exclaimed, ‘Our best night in Paris!’

This morning we are off to Versailles. But first, coffee. ;)

alexa @ Sohdalex September 21, 2010 at 1:57 am

Looks like you are having an amazing time! I thought those same pasta thoughts the first time I ever tried freshly made pasta. It literally is a life changing experience. It has been awesome following someone traveling in the same area as me. ;)

Kristina @ spabettie September 21, 2010 at 1:59 am

oooh… porcinis are my favorite… it all looks fabulous, and you are all so pretty, once again! :)

looks like a really fun night!

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 21, 2010 at 2:08 am

You guys all look so stunning!
I’m not a pasta fan either..but then I’ve only been to cheap chain Italians – I need to go to a proper one too!
Have a great day :)

Rita @ The Giggly Bits September 21, 2010 at 2:09 am

That restaurant looks incredible, the stone walls are beautiful. As a not huge pasta fan either that must be good. You could almost smell it through the page, really, yum.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 21, 2010 at 2:22 am

I love Moet! I love Moet White Star, Moet Nectar, you name it, never met any Moet I don’t like. Or champagne for that matter. I would be in heaven going to the Champagne vineyards and tasting flights with you! omg!!

“Yum. I have no idea if these were vegan or not. My vegan sensors were drowned in wine. “—THAT is such a GREAT attitude! I am 99% vegan. I don’t freak out or send veggies back that may have been coated with a tiny bit of butter. I dont eat or seek out cheese or anything, but there’s a point where accepting that trace dairy may have entered the picture, well, who cares. I know some vegans who do; I just don’t!

That expression, when in Rome, do as the Romans. Well, I think you’re doing an awesome job of staying true to your vegan path but also not going so totally and completely overboard that you’re missing out on great pasta noodles or bread. Let’s face it, they have butter or dairy in them. And really, if you’re not intolerant or allergic, who cares :)

I’m sure many vegans will disagree but I am here to support you living large and in charge, on your trip!

Kathryn September 22, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Agreed, vegan is a lifestyle for sure, but it shouldn’t prohibit you from living! I love to see you doing the best you can, hasseling a few chefs, and experiencing Paris. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Sportsgirl September 21, 2010 at 3:12 am

Wow! Wish I was there, the food, wine and bubbles look amazing!

Janessa September 21, 2010 at 3:13 am

Oh My Goodness! Those glasses of wine are huge! They look like what I’d pour myself at home when I’m about to get my toasty on, not what a reasonable restaurant would pour.

I’m going there tomorrow.
:D
(I wish!)

Wei-Wei September 21, 2010 at 3:27 am

What an amazing, amazing dinner! Looks like a night of wonderful fun!

Joslyn @missfitbliss September 21, 2010 at 3:40 am

This is such fun to indulge my inner insomniac! So cool that you posted at around 4am Philly time. The first time I tasted freshly made pasta was at an Italian restaurant in Switzerland. I’m pretty sure I cried.

Orla September 21, 2010 at 3:43 am

I LOVE Versailles – it’s one of my favourite places I’ve ever visited. You’re going to love it :)

Make sure you guys hit up the supermarkets for biscuits (cookies) and chocolate before you leave, especially things like Lindt Creme Brulee. Chocolate on your side of the pond ain’t a patch on our European goodies ;)

Obviously the patisseries and boulangeries are vegan, but tell me your mom and sister have experienced the joy of a freshly baked almond croissant!!! I was in Paris for a few days this summer, and I swear I gained 3lbs just as a result of my almond croissant habit.

Orla September 21, 2010 at 3:44 am

AREN’T vegan!! Obviously…lol

Katey @ Bonne Santé September 21, 2010 at 3:48 am

Your Paris posts are fantastic – it’s making me want to run right out, grab my dear mother and go for a girls own adventure in gay (and infinitely tasty, be the looks!) Par-eeeeee!
P.s what a beautiful family you have :)

Laura @ Starloz September 21, 2010 at 3:55 am

i really need to go to italy because i’m not an italian fan, unless i make it myself.

Jocelyn @ Enthusiastic Runner September 21, 2010 at 4:09 am

It looks like you are having a great time in Paris! I’m jealous!

JL Goes Vegan September 21, 2010 at 4:10 am

What a meal! What a great night! LOL at your “need” for coffee ;)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 21, 2010 at 5:32 am

Another fabulous meal. I would never be coming home!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 21, 2010 at 5:36 am

Yum yum yum, you make me want to go to Paris so badly,
All that dark chocolate and coffee, looks like vegans really can “survive” in paris! You make it look so appealing :P

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 21, 2010 at 6:00 am

Do you not LOVE how seriously the french take their food? Honestly – it made me almost cry to see that food because they appreciate it so much.. and well, I miss Paris like a foodie misses her chocolate fix.

You will absolutely adore Versailles. It is gorgeous… wait until you see the gardens – you will be in awe. It is beautiful!

Cailin @ Stir Crazy September 21, 2010 at 6:05 am

My mouth is watering just looking at that food! Sounds like you’re enjoying every little moment of your amazing trip. I love reading about it!

Lisa September 21, 2010 at 6:33 am

All that food looks so fresh! So jealous.

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow September 21, 2010 at 6:40 am

I am so nostalgic for PARIS!!! I was there in July on my honeymoon. It is one of my favorite places in the world!!!

A word on the pasta: we aren’t huge pasta fans either but they do something very very special in Europe with the food. I think it is sprinkled with some kind of fairy dust that makes you fall in love with it. Especially the pasta! :)

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 21, 2010 at 6:43 am

Oh Versailles!! I can’t wait for that post!!

I love italian food so this whole post makes me hungry! Looks delicious!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 21, 2010 at 6:50 am

Such a fabulous night! It’s cool the brought out the mushrooms..but any particular reason for doing so? Just to show you how fresh it all was? :P Well, it was nice of them! lol

Love the biscotti, too! My mom worked with someone who always kept a jar of them on her desk and I would always steal one when we went to their house! Yum! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 21, 2010 at 6:55 am

I really love your attitude about eating vegan while in Paris. You’re sticking to your convictions and making the best choices you can, without freaking out about a little butter or anything else. Sometimes you just can’t control the situation as well as you’d like, and it’s easier to just roll with the punches and ENJOY yourself than to fuss over food and make it a problem during vacation!! The entire meal looks fabulous. Oooooh I want to go to Paris. HLS next year, perhaps? Wouldn’t that be a dream?

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 21, 2010 at 7:10 am

Wow – that pasta looks absolutely incredible!!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 21, 2010 at 7:14 am

I love how you’re not being uptight about food. A trip to Paris isn’t an everyday thing (or, um, every year) so might as well enjoy it to the fullest.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 21, 2010 at 7:22 am

Woooow all that food looks so so good, even the artichokes, which aren’t usually an attractive vegetable in my opinion! Enjoy your day today – wish I was there! :)

RhodeyGirl September 21, 2010 at 7:30 am

The meal sounds magnificent.

Enjoy your time at Versailles!!!!

stacey-healthylife September 21, 2010 at 7:47 am

Looks like you are having so much fun, live it up.

Jess @ MTL Veggie September 21, 2010 at 7:50 am

That pasta looks plain amazing!!
Versailles was one of my favorite sites when I went to Paris. Some people will call it tacky, due to M. Louis’s love for um, opulence, but I plain loved it for that reason. It is so ostentatious that you can’t help but love it! Have a great time :)

Emily September 21, 2010 at 7:51 am

Looks delicious and absolutely wonderful!! The servings of the glasses of wine are just my style, right to the brim :)

jenna September 21, 2010 at 7:59 am

how amazing! that pasta it breath taking. it looks so fresh and wonderful.

Im glad you all had such a wonderful night. I can’t wait to read your adventures at versailles.

yummiee cupcake September 21, 2010 at 8:04 am

the desserts look so yummiee (:

hmm i haven’t had pasta for awhile. looking at it makes me crave for it!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 21, 2010 at 8:07 am

Versailles is beautiful. Enjoy!

Andrea September 21, 2010 at 8:17 am

What a fantastic looking meal! I’m so enjoying following your Paris posts… it all looks so divine :)

[email protected] Food Loving Polar Bear September 21, 2010 at 8:23 am

I love the atmosphere in French restaurants. I wish we had something like that here, but the Finns do not take food as seriously as French. Sadly!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 21, 2010 at 8:25 am

Looks like you ladies are having an amazing time! I am loving this little glimpse into Paris :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 21, 2010 at 8:27 am

That pasta sounds delicious! Boxed/dried pasta does not even COMPETE with fresh pasta!

faith @ gracefulfitness September 21, 2010 at 8:27 am

wow, those are my kind of wine pours!
I am not a big pasta fan either but once in a while I will try a fresh one that blows me away, it’s a different food than the hard stuff!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 21, 2010 at 8:31 am

I’m not the biggest fan of pasta when I make it myself either, but good dinners at Italian restaurants always change my mind!

Bee Goes Bananas September 21, 2010 at 8:45 am

I love the atmosphere of that restaurant and your dress suits the occassion perfectly. You look stunning!

Therese September 21, 2010 at 8:48 am

Nothing beats fresh pasta! YUM!

And glad to see the French know how to pour a REAL glass of wine! LOL Those are filled to the brim!!!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey September 21, 2010 at 8:59 am

Aw, it sounds like you’re having so much fun, Angela. Have a great time!

Shanna, Like Banana September 21, 2010 at 9:03 am

Oh such fun! There is nothing like truly good pasta. While I was in Italy, I kept saying that over and over again.

TheHealthyApron September 21, 2010 at 9:18 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE reading about your trip! I cannot wait to travelt o Europe one day and experience all there is from other cultures! Sounds like an amazing pasta experience! I can’t even begin to imagine!

Caitlin September 21, 2010 at 9:21 am

Oh wow-your pictures are amazing. I am definitely living vicariously through you at this time! I look forward to the rest of your vacation posts!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 21, 2010 at 9:37 am

oh Italian food, how i love thee! this sounds so amazing…i’m going to try (key word TRY) to recreate these at home!

Amber K September 21, 2010 at 9:42 am

The pasta looks so decadent. Nothing like the real deal!

Leanne @ Radiant Balanced & Fit September 21, 2010 at 9:47 am

What great pics Ang!

Kelly Michelle September 21, 2010 at 9:48 am

wow I love France and love that you are sharing your journey with us. That meal looks amazing and the champagne even better ( I LOVE CHAMPAGNE). I think it’s great you are staying vegan but relaxing it just enough to enjoy the truly important thing which is the experience and time with your mom and sister. A few years from now it really won’t matter if you accidentally had a few bites of non vegan food but it would matter if stressing over the fact took away from the amazing time you are having with your family.

Allison September 21, 2010 at 9:48 am

I am greatly enjoying all of your photographs and your stories. I am excited to see your pictures from Versailles. I have a love for Versailles though I haven’t been there yet.

Chelsea at Striking Balance September 21, 2010 at 9:55 am

Glad you are having such a good time in Paris, you deserved a break! Loving following your trip!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 21, 2010 at 10:00 am

What a fabulous trip!

Angela you, your mom and sister are so beautiful!

I’ve heard that fresh pasta is so unbelievably delicious, I hope to try it one day!

Camille September 21, 2010 at 10:29 am

What an incredible night!
Those are the kinds of nights that I live for :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? September 21, 2010 at 11:01 am

Wow – that pasta looks amazing! Im sitting here drooling on my keyboard a little. :)

I LOVE how high they filled your wine glasses. That would have made my night!

Bridget September 21, 2010 at 11:09 am

Omigosh I was just going to make a remark about those massive wine glasses hehe. That’s major! Hope you enjoyed the wine :)

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks September 21, 2010 at 11:15 am

Your best Italian food was in France. My best Chinese food was in Japan.

Traveling is funny.

Allison @ Food For Healing September 21, 2010 at 11:51 am

looks so amazing, i so want to just go to Paris for supper haha

Leah September 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Love your sister’s dress!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmm, I adore pasta. It is probably my favourite food ever! The mushroom one sounds SO good to me!

Dee September 21, 2010 at 1:02 pm

omg – your dishes look divine!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous September 21, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Looks like you are having such a wonderful time!

MoniMeals September 21, 2010 at 3:55 pm

amazing pics! you can always get back to green tea, enjoy that coffee for now. :)

Isaline September 21, 2010 at 4:39 pm

“I wonder if pumpkin is not popular in Europe? I haven’t seen any baked goods made out of pumpkin yet.”
No, it is not popular in France at all. I spent the first 18 years of my life there and I have never ever eaten anything with pumpkin. Actually, I think my first memory of eating pumpkin (I am not even talking of dessert) must have been 4 years ago in the US. My roommate had made a pumpkin soup. It took me another 2 years to try pumpkin in a dessert. Lol, I remember being very skeptical about the famous Thanksgiving pumpkin pie for so long. That’s because I had always taught of pumpkin as a vegetable. My boyfriend who is American forced me try the famous pie about a year ago. I have the same conflict with carrots in dessert. I have never been able to go beyond a bite of carrot cake. After living 7 years in the US, I learned to appreciate pumpkin a lot, but still not the pie. hey, les gout et les couleurs… Every winter, I make pumpkin lasagna (my invention) and it’s delicious. I always tell my mom back in Paris about it, and she thinks it is madness. This year, I’ll spend Christmas season with the family in France for the first time in years, and it’s definitely on the menu. Well, if I am able to buy a pumpkin somewhere.

Gina September 21, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I’m living vicariously through you right now! Can’t wait to get to Europe :)

Alyne September 22, 2010 at 10:43 pm