Le Potager Du Marais

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 19, 2010

Good evening!

I left you with a teaser about our special dinner out last night. I took my mom and sister out to a restaurant called Le Potager Du Marais. It is supposedly the best vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free friendly restaurant in Paris. Le Potager Du Marais does traditional French Cuisine with a veg-friendly twist! Very fun.

We got all gussied up and hit the town!

20100918-IMG_7677 20100918-IMG_7681-2

To say this place is tiny would not be an understatement. The entire restaurant is just 9-10 feet wide!

20100918-IMG_7730

It has a lot of Paris charm though and is VERY authentic inside. And this charm includes having to move the tables out to get in. It was quite funny.

We started with organic Bordeaux wine and appetizers.

20100918-IMG_7706

The wine was very smooth. Loved it.

All Vegan items were marked with a V.

20100918-IMG_7687

My mom and I split the Puree de pois chiches (hummus) and the pate vegetal aux champignons (mushroom pate).

20100918-IMG_7698

The hummus was amazing and we enjoyed it with fresh bread.

20100918-IMG_7703

The mushroom pate was not good…sort of cold, slimy, and blah tasting.

20100918-IMG_7697

Sis had a vegan broccoli soup which was really good!

20100918-IMG_7700

Then it was time for our main courses..

20100918-IMG_7690

I ordered the Gratin de legumes aux noisettes (vegetable gratin with hazelnuts), my mom the croustillant de quinoa (crusty quinoa burger with tofu and goat cheese), and Kristi the spinach lasagna with goat cheese.

Spinach lasagna:

20100918-IMG_7711

Quinoa burger:

20100918-IMG_7713

My first time eating gratin and it was vegan! It tasted ok, but it was quite bland.

20100918-IMG_7716

It was layered with hazelnuts, potato, carrots, on a bed of pesto.

20100918-IMG_7721

20100918-IMG_7718

The red and white quinoa was really good.

20100918-IMG_7719

Dessert…

20100918-IMG_7691

20100918-IMG_7696

We shared the chocolate creme…

20100918-IMG_7724

and fruit compote with green tea. It tasted like a green tea flavoured applesauce! However, our favourite was of course the chocolate creme, which was by far superior in taste. You couldn’t tell it was vegan at all.

20100918-IMG_7727

All in all, I think Le Potager Du Marais is a wonderful option for vegetarian friendly foods in a sea of dairy, meat, butter, fish, and eggs. The presentation was beautiful and the service was very friendly. Our only complaint was that the food was quite bland (in all 3 meals). It doesn’t compare to the vegetarian restaurants I have tried in Toronto, Florida, or Chicago, but again, I feel that it is at least an option for many!

The battle of sleep rages on!

Last night I did not fall asleep until 3am and the alarm went off at 6am! Ahhh. I don’t know why I am taking this long to adjust to the time change. When Eric and I went on our honeymoon (we departed from Venice) we were back on schedule within 1-1.5 days. This is taking much longer! My mom and sister haven’t been sleeping well either.

I’m hoping tonight is the night I strike gold. ;)

Anyways, breakfast made getting up much easier!!

Granola, raisins, soy milk, oranges, kiwi, almonds, and hazelnuts!

20100919-IMG_7753

So good.

20100919-IMG_7747

A small bowl of sautéed mushrooms:

20100919-IMG_7750

Toast with strawberry jam:

20100919-IMG_7751

Grapefruit juice:

20100919-IMG_7755

Love the free breakfast buffet!

Then we were off for our Champagne Country tasting all-day tour

20100919-IMG_7758

20100919-IMG_7771

20100919-IMG_7785

20100919-IMG_7786

20100919-IMG_7791

Things got a bit wild.

20100919-IMG_7892

20100919-IMG_7859

To be continued… :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] September 19, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Hello, hottie in the red dress. Lookin’ smashing, Miss Ange :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 19, 2010 at 12:49 pm

You three are stunning!

I love that you were able to find a veggie restaurant in Paris!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 19, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Ohhhh such a pretty dinner!! It’s good to know that there are vegan options in a city where food seems to revolve around chicken and butter!! The Moet tour looks wonderful, can’t wait to read more about it…

Kristina @ spabettie September 19, 2010 at 12:53 pm

all of the food looks wonderful… glad you found a place to have more than a SALAD. :)

Gillian September 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I’m so glad you ended up checking out Le Potager du Marais! I went here for my birthday lunch last year :)

christina cadden September 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Looks like a fun time and such a cute restaurant!

Sana September 19, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Wow! you and your sister looks so beautiful! I am hoping the wine did the trick for your sleeping problem!

Lindsay (goodiesgalore) September 19, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I just think it’s so lovely that you three are always dressed to the nines. Hot lil’ family you got there sister. Can’t wait to hear about you champagne tour. I once went on a wine tour in Australia using tandem bikes to get fro vineyard to vineyard. Yeah.. things got interesting.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 19, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Those dishes look ingredible! Chocolate creme? Yes please!

Have a wonderful time in champagne Country!

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 19, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Oohh so much good food!! And you girls all look SO stunning!

Tina September 19, 2010 at 12:58 pm

You look fabulous! Sorry the restaurant wasn’t quite as good as you hoped. And I really hope you get some sleep tonight!

Melissa September 19, 2010 at 1:00 pm

What a beautiful family you have! Your pictures are lovely and I’m so happy for you that you get to have this wonderful experience with your mom and sister! Enjoy your champagne tasting… I’ll be jealously awaiting your next post!

Lisa September 19, 2010 at 1:05 pm

All that food looks absolutely amazing!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 19, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Ahhh I am loving following your trip Ange. I can just FEEL the excitement!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Champagne country for all day tasting?! Now THAT is something I want/need to get in on!! I have done plenty of napa & sonoma vineyards, tasting flights, and champagne afternoons, but never in the actual Champagne Region…I am so jealz :)

About the sleep, sorry you’re having such a hard time! That sucks! Maybe the champagne will make you drift off into blissful slumberland :)

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks September 19, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Chocolate Creme! *_*

How I want to go to Europe. Why am I not independently wealthy?

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 19, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Your dress is gorgeous, the color’s fabulous on you!!

I’d definitely love to go to Paris one day..maybe I will and I’ll get to check out all these places!

bitt September 19, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I’m pretty sure that was the veg place I hit up in Paris. Yeah, the US and Canada have far superior vegan food. But at least you got a proper meal, right? Again I would recommend hitting up the BIoCoop or a health food store for some take-out lunch eats.

Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 19, 2010 at 2:04 pm

The 3 of you look so great!
It’s a shame that the food was bland tasting. But let’s be honest, is there anything chocolate CAN’T solve?? :P

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 19, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I’m impressed that you managed to find such a vegetarian and vegan friendly place in Paris. It’s just a shame that the food was a bit disappointing. It still looks like a nice night out though.

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 19, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I said this yesterday, too, but DANG THAT BREAKFAST looks so fab!!! I can’t wait until it is breakfast time tomorrow so I can eat some granola.

Lisa September 19, 2010 at 2:39 pm

So jealous of your trip! You have a beautiful family! =) Glad that you are having such a wonderful time!

Camille September 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

You guys look so much alike!
Glad that your day is going well :)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 19, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I’m thinking you slept better when you went with Eric bc he was with you… I never, ever sleep well when Brian isn’t with me. SO hard to fall asleep.

Can’t wait to see what adventure comes next !

*Andrea* September 19, 2010 at 2:49 pm

sorry about the bland food. :( the champagne sounds like it made up for it!!!

you, your sister and your mom are all sooo gorgeous!!

MoniMeals September 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Well you all sure look fabulous for not the best of sleep. :) At least the chocolate dessert was tasty…Plus the champagne will make up for it, right?

Lin September 19, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Mmmm I love anything with hazelnuts and your breakfast looks amazing! It sucks that the veg gratin was so bland because it looks delicious from the pictures.

Stephanie @ Laugh and Cook September 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Aw! You ladies look gorgeous!

Definitely going to be stopping by Paris during my backpacking trip!

Lisa September 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I love the red dress! It’s gorgeous!!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' September 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm

You ladies look great!! It’s great that you found some nice vegetarian options… my husband and I should have done more research for our trip last year!

I can totally relate to the trouble sleeping– it was almost like clock-work for us– we were awake at 3am almost EVERY night of our honeymoon! I don’t know why we couldn’t adjust! I studied abroad in Italy and didn’t have that problem, so maybe Paris is just “special” like that?!

Bee Goes Bananas September 19, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Wow, what an upscale restaurant! Everything looks so fancy and delicious!

Amber K September 19, 2010 at 3:38 pm

It is so frustrating that some people can’t seem to figure out that cooking vegan/vegetarian doesn’t mean skimping on taste!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 19, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Wow, that fruit compote thing really does just look like applesauce. Your sister’s spinach lasagna looked delicious!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 19, 2010 at 4:21 pm

lady in REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED :) beautiful as usual missy :)

that gratin sounds amazing! i kind of want to make my own version…but super flavorful if possible :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Oh my – what a wonderful restaurant!

Halley (Blunder Construction) September 19, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Looks like you are having a super chic time in France! All of the food looks like something from my dreams, I absolutely must travel there soon. I think Paris is a great honeymoon destination, cliche as it may be.

Danielle September 19, 2010 at 4:47 pm

You have pure photographic talent – able to even make the grapefruit juice look gorgeous!

RhodeyGirl September 19, 2010 at 4:48 pm

On your next vacation you must go to Jordan. Lots of vegan options that everyone eats… stuffed grape leaves, hummus, tabbouleh, stuffed zucchini, fresh pita, etc.

Roanne September 19, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Awww your so pretty, and you take amazing photo’s, looks like you’re having a great time! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm

What a beautiful 3some!!! That restaurant looks amazing! I’m sorry you’re having a hard time adjusting to the time change – that totally stinks!

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 19, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Ooh, looks like a fun evening! I loved the small restaurants in Paris. It seemed the one’s I went to heavily featured couscous.

I even had a restaurant patron ask me why I didn’t have bread on my table! He seemed in shock that I didn’t have any. He quickly changed that though by telling a waiter. Haha. :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 19, 2010 at 6:51 pm

That’s too bad the restaurant wasn’t as good as you had hoped! But it’s nice to at least know that you don’t have to travel across the ocean to eat at the best vegan restaurant. ;)

[email protected] September 19, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Heaven help me, everything looks AMAZING!!! I love authentic, quaint restaurants. Sounds like you’re having a blast in Paris. Pop those bottles, girl! ;)

Jessica (Fit and Clean) September 19, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Even on such little sleep you look so bright eyed! Time change is hard!! Glad you are having such a wonderful time in Paris…can’t wait to see the pictures of the wine tasting! Mmmmm….champagne! My fave!!

laura @ Starloz September 19, 2010 at 7:15 pm

you all look great, even though your on little sleep.

your photography always makes me hungry. awesome!

Wei-Wei September 19, 2010 at 7:43 pm

You look gorgeous, Ange! The restaurant looks very cute ;)

Andrea September 19, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Magnifique! Love the photos, love the things you’ve been up to in the lovely city of Paris, love the look of that food! :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Bummer that it wasn’t super flavorful. I love when a restaurant understands that being vegan or vegetarian can mean having some of the best flavors and not restrictive at all.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 19, 2010 at 8:22 pm

You all look stunning!! I’m sorry to hear that the food was rather bland…however, it certainly was stunning!! …as were all you ladies! Gorgeous!! Cannot wait to hear about your champagne adventures!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I now realize I repeated myself…but you do look gorg! Worth repeating! haha

Danielle September 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Ah, ma belle. Je ne suis pas surpris que vous avez essayé une meilleure alimentation végétalienne. À mon avis, il semble être le contraire de la cuisine française. Je serai heureux de revenir dans quelques années, avec vous bien sûr, pour vérifier si de leurs progrès ;) c’est nécessaire.

As for the champagne tour, I did a similar one while I was in France and it was absolutely divine. I cannot wait to hear the recap. I don’t doubt that you three enjoyed it to the fullest. Bon santé! :)

dep September 19, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Your photos are beautiful – i can live vicarously through them! I noticed the restaurant menu had an English translation beneath the French, is that usual to have a translation in Paris? I might feel a little less scared of going if there were some translations around…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2010 at 1:29 am

It is very common in the touristy areas :)

Deborah (The Food Psychologist) September 19, 2010 at 8:30 pm

What a fabulous trip! And, amazing that you found a vegetarian/vegan restaurant. You should stop by Rue Cler, a pedestrian-only street / outdoor market that has fabulous food shops. Perfect for a spontaneous a la carte lunch!

Nicole @ yuppie yogini September 19, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Your mother and sister are gorgeous…..of course, so are you!

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 19, 2010 at 8:45 pm

What a cool restaurant! Love that you found such an awesome vegan place:) You guys are all beautiful!

Cate September 19, 2010 at 9:01 pm

SO jealous!! It looks fab over there!! Enjoy Every Minute!!!

Andrew Lowry September 19, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I am sorry to read that your meals were bland. Very disappointing for such a country as France. Our vegan experience in Paris was not great either. The guidebook gave us a restaurant that we found was renamed. It was within walking distance (if you like walking) of our hotel (same one you are staying at).
It may be closed now. From http://www.happycow.net/europe/france/paris/
Le Passage Oblige – maybe closed
29 rue Du Bourg Tibourg, Paris, France 75004
0140419503
The one good thing was that we found a small grocery store near it and got some food for back in the hotel room and for outings.

BTW I can see where you get your good looks from, your Mother is quite beautiful. Is she single? Oh wait I am no longer single having remarried so no going there (chuckle). I am still envious of your trip and I look forward to more blog posts (where you find the time and energy to travel and blog amazes me).

Shanna, like Banana September 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Well the food *looked* spectacular! I like a lot of flavor too though…

I’m guessing you were in Epernay? My hubby and I stayed at a B&B there and loved the champagne region :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm

That food looks incredible, and you have the most BEAUTIFUL family – you are all gorgeous!

Mama Pea September 20, 2010 at 12:22 am

Finally! More than salads and dessert! Though you and I both know we could do better ;)

Dee September 20, 2010 at 12:36 am

Totally agree with Jolene above! :) I love the updates! Keep ’em coming!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2010 at 1:29 am

thanks everyone! xo

Janessa September 20, 2010 at 2:32 am

What a gorgeous family! I bet you ladies are turning all sorts of heads in Paris.

As a lover of all things bubbly, I can’t wait to read part two!

Ellani September 20, 2010 at 4:06 am

Is your hotel providing the soy milk or did you buy it there? My husband is taking me to Paris in the spring and, as a vegan, these questions are on my mind!

Sportsgirl September 20, 2010 at 4:54 am

So pretty in your dresses!!

Dawn Linklater September 20, 2010 at 7:25 am

Love the pics – so glad you’re having a wonderful time. Looks like so much fun!! Mmmm…champagne!!!!!
See if you can pick up some melatonin to help regulate your sleeping – I take it with me when I travel and it always helps, without any nasty side effects. Good Luck!! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 20, 2010 at 7:54 am

Sorry to hear the food wasn’t as great as you hoped it would be, but the restaurant still looks really cute! And you ladies look gorgeous in your dresses. I hope your head isn’t too sore this morning after the champagne testing! :)

[email protected] September 20, 2010 at 7:56 am

It seems like the vegetarian/vegan thing hasn’t spread across a lot of Europe, at least not the way it has in North America.
Champagne tasting tour?? One word comes to mind: headaceh. Uck. Hope you all had fun though!

[email protected] September 20, 2010 at 8:02 am

What an amazing time!!! A champagne tasting tour just seems so much fun!! I LOVE champagne

Lauren @ 40Apples September 20, 2010 at 8:12 am

Wow that meal looks amazing (despite blandness) – I definitely never saw anything like that while I was living in Paris!! (then again, I wasn’t veg at that point!)

Looks like such fun!

MJ September 20, 2010 at 8:13 am

Glad you found a Vegan friendly place. Sorry to hear the food was a little bland, but at least it wasn’t another salad. Chocolate creme? Yes please!

Pictures look amazing! You, your mom and your sister are all beautiful. Enjoy the wine/champagne tasting.

Bethester September 20, 2010 at 8:48 am

Angela, what is the name of your hotel? Next time I am in Paris I want to stay there!!

Veroniqued @ Hooked on Health September 20, 2010 at 10:00 am

Oh wow that looks amazing!
I woudl love to do a vineyards tour in France… LOVE!
I’m glad to see you are enjoying yourself in France and that you are taking lots and lots of photos :D

Cherie September 20, 2010 at 11:19 am

The restaurant sounds divine! I’m adding it as a must visit for my trip to Paris. And you ladies look beautiful!

Melinda September 20, 2010 at 11:19 am

Looks like a fantastic meal. i think I wanted to eat there when we were in Paris over the summer but the time just flew by and there was no time. I wish we got to do Champagne country tour, but we didn’t. We only had a few days to see everything. Glad you are having a nice trip.

Carissa @ Fit To Indulge September 20, 2010 at 11:29 am

What a beautiful trip. It looks like you ladies are ahving a blast and eating well. Always important ;) Enjoy!

linda burke April 22, 2018 at 2:02 pm

hi,
going to paris this summer and searching for vegan eateries.
Found le potager de Marais and came across your review.
i think i may try it, as it has been on my paris food list for a while.
Wish i could find an online menu though.

i follow your blogs.
Thanks.
linda

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2018 at 6:49 am

Hey Linda, Have a great trip! You may find this Happy Cow link helpful for vegan restaurants in Paris :) https://www.happycow.net/europe/france/paris/