Le Potager Du Marais

Good evening!

I left you with a teaser about our special dinner out last night. I took my mom and sister out to a restaurant called Le Potager Du Marais. It is supposedly the best vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free friendly restaurant in Paris. Le Potager Du Marais does traditional French Cuisine with a veg-friendly twist! Very fun.

We got all gussied up and hit the town!

20100918-IMG_7677 20100918-IMG_7681-2

To say this place is tiny would not be an understatement. The entire restaurant is just 9-10 feet wide!

20100918-IMG_7730

It has a lot of Paris charm though and is VERY authentic inside. And this charm includes having to move the tables out to get in. It was quite funny.

We started with organic Bordeaux wine and appetizers.

20100918-IMG_7706

The wine was very smooth. Loved it.

All Vegan items were marked with a V.

20100918-IMG_7687

My mom and I split the Puree de pois chiches (hummus) and the pate vegetal aux champignons (mushroom pate).

20100918-IMG_7698

The hummus was amazing and we enjoyed it with fresh bread.

20100918-IMG_7703

The mushroom pate was not good…sort of cold, slimy, and blah tasting.

20100918-IMG_7697

Sis had a vegan broccoli soup which was really good!

20100918-IMG_7700

Then it was time for our main courses..

20100918-IMG_7690

I ordered the Gratin de legumes aux noisettes (vegetable gratin with hazelnuts), my mom the croustillant de quinoa (crusty quinoa burger with tofu and goat cheese), and Kristi the spinach lasagna with goat cheese.

Spinach lasagna:

20100918-IMG_7711

Quinoa burger:

20100918-IMG_7713

My first time eating gratin and it was vegan! It tasted ok, but it was quite bland.

20100918-IMG_7716

It was layered with hazelnuts, potato, carrots, on a bed of pesto.

20100918-IMG_7721

20100918-IMG_7718

The red and white quinoa was really good.

20100918-IMG_7719

Dessert…

20100918-IMG_7691

20100918-IMG_7696

We shared the chocolate creme…

20100918-IMG_7724

and fruit compote with green tea. It tasted like a green tea flavoured applesauce! However, our favourite was of course the chocolate creme, which was by far superior in taste. You couldn’t tell it was vegan at all.

20100918-IMG_7727

All in all, I think Le Potager Du Marais is a wonderful option for vegetarian friendly foods in a sea of dairy, meat, butter, fish, and eggs. The presentation was beautiful and the service was very friendly. Our only complaint was that the food was quite bland (in all 3 meals). It doesn’t compare to the vegetarian restaurants I have tried in Toronto, Florida, or Chicago, but again, I feel that it is at least an option for many!

The battle of sleep rages on!

Last night I did not fall asleep until 3am and the alarm went off at 6am! Ahhh. I don’t know why I am taking this long to adjust to the time change. When Eric and I went on our honeymoon (we departed from Venice) we were back on schedule within 1-1.5 days. This is taking much longer! My mom and sister haven’t been sleeping well either.

I’m hoping tonight is the night I strike gold. ;)

Anyways, breakfast made getting up much easier!!

Granola, raisins, soy milk, oranges, kiwi, almonds, and hazelnuts!

20100919-IMG_7753

So good.

20100919-IMG_7747

A small bowl of sautéed mushrooms:

20100919-IMG_7750

Toast with strawberry jam:

20100919-IMG_7751

Grapefruit juice:

20100919-IMG_7755

Love the free breakfast buffet!

Then we were off for our Champagne Country tasting all-day tour

20100919-IMG_7758

20100919-IMG_7771

20100919-IMG_7785

20100919-IMG_7786

20100919-IMG_7791

Things got a bit wild.

20100919-IMG_7892

20100919-IMG_7859

To be continued… :)

Page 2 of 2«12
Carissa @ Fit To Indulge September 20, 2010

What a beautiful trip. It looks like you ladies are ahving a blast and eating well. Always important ;) Enjoy!

Melinda September 20, 2010

Looks like a fantastic meal. i think I wanted to eat there when we were in Paris over the summer but the time just flew by and there was no time. I wish we got to do Champagne country tour, but we didn’t. We only had a few days to see everything. Glad you are having a nice trip.

Cherie September 20, 2010

The restaurant sounds divine! I’m adding it as a must visit for my trip to Paris. And you ladies look beautiful!

Veroniqued @ Hooked on Health September 20, 2010

Oh wow that looks amazing!
I woudl love to do a vineyards tour in France… LOVE!
I’m glad to see you are enjoying yourself in France and that you are taking lots and lots of photos :D

Bethester September 20, 2010

Angela, what is the name of your hotel? Next time I am in Paris I want to stay there!!

MJ September 20, 2010

Glad you found a Vegan friendly place. Sorry to hear the food was a little bland, but at least it wasn’t another salad. Chocolate creme? Yes please!

Pictures look amazing! You, your mom and your sister are all beautiful. Enjoy the wine/champagne tasting.

Lauren @ 40Apples September 20, 2010

Wow that meal looks amazing (despite blandness) – I definitely never saw anything like that while I was living in Paris!! (then again, I wasn’t veg at that point!)

Looks like such fun!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle September 20, 2010

What an amazing time!!! A champagne tasting tour just seems so much fun!! I LOVE champagne

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 20, 2010

It seems like the vegetarian/vegan thing hasn’t spread across a lot of Europe, at least not the way it has in North America.
Champagne tasting tour?? One word comes to mind: headaceh. Uck. Hope you all had fun though!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 20, 2010

Sorry to hear the food wasn’t as great as you hoped it would be, but the restaurant still looks really cute! And you ladies look gorgeous in your dresses. I hope your head isn’t too sore this morning after the champagne testing! :)

Dawn Linklater September 20, 2010

Love the pics – so glad you’re having a wonderful time. Looks like so much fun!! Mmmm…champagne!!!!!
See if you can pick up some melatonin to help regulate your sleeping – I take it with me when I travel and it always helps, without any nasty side effects. Good Luck!! :)

Sportsgirl September 20, 2010

So pretty in your dresses!!

Ellani September 20, 2010

Is your hotel providing the soy milk or did you buy it there? My husband is taking me to Paris in the spring and, as a vegan, these questions are on my mind!

Janessa September 20, 2010

What a gorgeous family! I bet you ladies are turning all sorts of heads in Paris.

As a lover of all things bubbly, I can’t wait to read part two!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2010

thanks everyone! xo

Dee September 20, 2010

Totally agree with Jolene above! :) I love the updates! Keep ’em coming!

Mama Pea September 20, 2010

Finally! More than salads and dessert! Though you and I both know we could do better ;)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 19, 2010

That food looks incredible, and you have the most BEAUTIFUL family – you are all gorgeous!

Shanna, like Banana September 19, 2010

Well the food *looked* spectacular! I like a lot of flavor too though…

I’m guessing you were in Epernay? My hubby and I stayed at a B&B there and loved the champagne region :)

Andrew Lowry September 19, 2010

I am sorry to read that your meals were bland. Very disappointing for such a country as France. Our vegan experience in Paris was not great either. The guidebook gave us a restaurant that we found was renamed. It was within walking distance (if you like walking) of our hotel (same one you are staying at).
It may be closed now. From http://www.happycow.net/europe/france/paris/
Le Passage Oblige – maybe closed
29 rue Du Bourg Tibourg, Paris, France 75004
0140419503
The one good thing was that we found a small grocery store near it and got some food for back in the hotel room and for outings.

BTW I can see where you get your good looks from, your Mother is quite beautiful. Is she single? Oh wait I am no longer single having remarried so no going there (chuckle). I am still envious of your trip and I look forward to more blog posts (where you find the time and energy to travel and blog amazes me).

Cate September 19, 2010

SO jealous!! It looks fab over there!! Enjoy Every Minute!!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 19, 2010

What a cool restaurant! Love that you found such an awesome vegan place:) You guys are all beautiful!

Nicole @ yuppie yogini September 19, 2010

Your mother and sister are gorgeous…..of course, so are you!

Deborah (The Food Psychologist) September 19, 2010

What a fabulous trip! And, amazing that you found a vegetarian/vegan restaurant. You should stop by Rue Cler, a pedestrian-only street / outdoor market that has fabulous food shops. Perfect for a spontaneous a la carte lunch!

dep September 19, 2010

Your photos are beautiful – i can live vicarously through them! I noticed the restaurant menu had an English translation beneath the French, is that usual to have a translation in Paris? I might feel a little less scared of going if there were some translations around…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2010

It is very common in the touristy areas :)

Danielle September 19, 2010

Ah, ma belle. Je ne suis pas surpris que vous avez essayé une meilleure alimentation végétalienne. À mon avis, il semble être le contraire de la cuisine française. Je serai heureux de revenir dans quelques années, avec vous bien sûr, pour vérifier si de leurs progrès ;) c’est nécessaire.

As for the champagne tour, I did a similar one while I was in France and it was absolutely divine. I cannot wait to hear the recap. I don’t doubt that you three enjoyed it to the fullest. Bon santé! :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 19, 2010

You all look stunning!! I’m sorry to hear that the food was rather bland…however, it certainly was stunning!! …as were all you ladies! Gorgeous!! Cannot wait to hear about your champagne adventures!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 19, 2010

I now realize I repeated myself…but you do look gorg! Worth repeating! haha

Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 19, 2010

Bummer that it wasn’t super flavorful. I love when a restaurant understands that being vegan or vegetarian can mean having some of the best flavors and not restrictive at all.

Andrea September 19, 2010

Magnifique! Love the photos, love the things you’ve been up to in the lovely city of Paris, love the look of that food! :)

Wei-Wei September 19, 2010

You look gorgeous, Ange! The restaurant looks very cute ;)

laura @ Starloz September 19, 2010

you all look great, even though your on little sleep.

your photography always makes me hungry. awesome!

Jessica (Fit and Clean) September 19, 2010

Even on such little sleep you look so bright eyed! Time change is hard!! Glad you are having such a wonderful time in Paris…can’t wait to see the pictures of the wine tasting! Mmmmm….champagne! My fave!!

Ellen@FirednFabulous September 19, 2010

Heaven help me, everything looks AMAZING!!! I love authentic, quaint restaurants. Sounds like you’re having a blast in Paris. Pop those bottles, girl! ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 19, 2010

That’s too bad the restaurant wasn’t as good as you had hoped! But it’s nice to at least know that you don’t have to travel across the ocean to eat at the best vegan restaurant. ;)

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 19, 2010

Ooh, looks like a fun evening! I loved the small restaurants in Paris. It seemed the one’s I went to heavily featured couscous.

I even had a restaurant patron ask me why I didn’t have bread on my table! He seemed in shock that I didn’t have any. He quickly changed that though by telling a waiter. Haha. :-)