Feel The Burn

Brrrr…it looks like Fall has arrived early here in Southern Ontario!

20100909-IMG_2792

Today was dark, chilly, windy, dark and more dark, and leaves on the ground producing.

20100909-IMG_2794

Last night was no different. Eric and I went out for a walk around 9pm we had to bring our jackets it was so windy and chilly out! It could have been Halloween.

Today my mind drifted to thoughts of:

In that order.

Bring back the heat, I protested.

So I did.

In my best Justin voice, I sang, ‘I’m bringing heeee-eeeeat baaaaack.’ and then I fired up the stove and grabbed my favourite curry.

20100909-IMG_2739

The heat shall be had.

20100909-IMG_2755

Quick & Spicy Veggie Chickpea Curry

Adapted from Shape Magazine.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 cup green beans, cut into small pieces
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder (I used Arvinda’s Curry Masala)
  • 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1 large tomato, sliced
  • 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions: In a medium sized skillet add olive oil and turn burner to medium heat. Add chopped onion and ginger and stir. Cook until caramelized, watching carefully, for about 5-10 minutes making sure not to burn. Add chopped beans, carrots, and chickpeas and reduce heat to low-medium. Add curry powder and soy sauce and stir well. Cook about 5-10 minutes until carrots are softened slightly (do not overcook). Add sliced tomatoes and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and serve with brown rice if preferred.

There is nothing quite like the taste of delicious caramelized onions. Mmm.

20100909-IMG_2730

Add in your carrots, green beans, and chicky peas.

20100909-IMG_2732

Finally tomatoes, just to warm them.

20100909-IMG_2742

20100909-IMG_2746

Serve, enjoy, and feel the burn. ;)

20100909-IMG_2748

The good kind of burn.

20100909-IMG_2754

20100909-IMG_2753

Tomorrow, I have a VERY exciting breakfast to show you. Get excited.

The Friday Fun we are going to have will be positively evil. Witch hat and broom optional, but highly recommended.

1 Crystal September 9, 2010

Mmm curry is so delicious! I usually use Patak’s curry paste but now that I know you have such rave reviews about the brand you use, maybe I will give it a try instead. :)

2 Whitney September 9, 2010

It seems like Autumn comes earlier and earlier every year! And while I love the pumpkins and big sweaters, I don’t like the snow that comes after it all! I grew up in New Brunswick but I’m in Houston now. It’s a very strange feeling to look forward to the fall, because it means no hot weather…and I don’t have to worry about the snow!

3 Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 9, 2010

I’m really particular about my curry but this one looks easy enough. I messed up a recipe a long time ago by adding too much curry powder and I’ve shied away ever since. Time to give a try again!

4 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 9, 2010

It seems fall is coming fast – love curries as an antidote. I was actually just daydreaming about going home and making curried lentils.

5 Katie September 9, 2010

It totally felt like Fall today here on long island too! I went for a run in the park, and it was just so gray and breezy out. I don’t think I’m ready for it yet!

Though today was the perfect excuse to drink copious amounts of tea. :)

6 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 9, 2010

You already had a fabulous breakfast with the pizza this week! I can’t wait to see another. :)

7 christina cadden September 9, 2010

I love autumn! The best season ever!

8 Cara Craves... September 9, 2010

It’s funny how quickly the weather can change, eh?
I am still experiencing very humid weather; I am ready for a break!

9 Cara Craves... September 9, 2010

It’s funny how quickly the weather can change, eh?
I am still experiencing very humid weather; I am ready for a break!
Hopefully it will come soon.

10 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 9, 2010

Yum, I love curry. And I love the fall. Everything about it!

Can’t wait to see what breakfast you have to unveil!

11 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 9, 2010

It’s turning into fall here in Boston, too! It was a little brisk today! Not quite ready for the cold weather.

12 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 9, 2010

It’s chilly here too. I’m missing summer already.

13 Char September 9, 2010

Mmm, I definitely want to try this. I also had spice on the brain, which is probably why I made a spicy avocado salad!!!

14 Lauren September 9, 2010

I’m dreading the chilly mornings only because I know that means my Iced Coffee obsession will subside. I’m not ready for hot coffee yet!

I can’t wait to see breakfast tomorrow.

15 Claudia September 9, 2010

Question about canned chickpeas: is it normal for there to be a black residue at the top of the can when you open it up? I just opened up a can tonight and I assume it’s normal but wondering if you’ve ever noticed that? It was an a can of organic chickpeas if it makes a difference.

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2010

I haven’t experienced that before, but I would contact the company and report it

17 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 9, 2010

A breakfast surprise? I still can’t get over the breakfast pizza (which I made tonight and can’t wait to try!)

It is definitely fall in Minnesota as well! I love it!

18 Marie @ ReciPeas & Musings September 9, 2010

Ohhh bring on the cold! Sorry Angela! I can’t wait for it to get chilly. Not that I love frigid weather, I just love NOT 100*F and humid weather. Oh Canada, I should just move there! I’m totally okay with you bringin’ the heat, though… that chickpea curry looks beautiful and delicious.

19 Tina September 9, 2010

I don’t quite know how you can outdo the breakfast pizza but I’m excited. :D

20 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 9, 2010

I’m actually very jealous that you’re having fall-like weather. Here in DC we’re still sweating.

21 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 9, 2010

That dinner looks yummy and EASY. That is now added to my must try list :)

Now my interest is peaked for Friday!

22 Chelsea at Striking Balance September 9, 2010

It is getting chilly where I am too!

Your dinner looks great, might be too hot for me though!! Can’t wait to see the breakfast recipe :)

23 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 9, 2010

I so SO wish I lived where you do! I’d KILL for a relief from this heat!

24 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/s September 9, 2010

I was thinking about Halloween today. The weather was giving me that feeling that it’s just around the corner.

25 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 9, 2010

Whaaat?!?! I can’t believe it’s jacket weather there! Please send the cooler air this way, down to Atlanta. ;) Can’t wait to see tomorrow’s breakfast!

26 Lisa September 9, 2010

I love chilly weather-its not that chilly where I live so I am very jealous! Looking foward to hearing about your breakfast tommorow! =)

27 Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 9, 2010

Fall hasn’t reached us in the midwest but it was stormy today and in the sixties this morning so I sort of was able to feel it happen! Makes me want pumpkin pie!

28 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 9, 2010

I’m sorry you’re not looking forward to the cold! I for one, can’t wait for these 90* days to end!! :P

29 Allyson September 9, 2010

I saw this recipe in SHAPE and had plans to make it tonight too (im in California so just starting dinner). RANDOM! I just pulled out of my ingredients and noticed that my green beans are moldy. YUCK! I going to add some mushrooms instead and see if it turns out. If not my husband will be taking me out to sushi :)

30 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 9, 2010

Haha glad to see that others dream about pizza, too!

31 Michelle September 9, 2010

This looks really fantastic! I’ve definitely been wanting heat lately too, so I’ll for sure be giving your recipe a try soon. Anything simple & curry has me sold! :)

32 Dara September 9, 2010

Mmmm, delicious sounding (and looking!) as per usual. I just made a batch of pumpkin scones (I added raisins that were soaked overnight in water – it plumps them up beautifully), and they are my new favourite scone! Unfortunately, I burned my arm while taking them out of the oven. To console myself I decided to surf the internet, and checked your blog. I had a quiet laugh when I saw the title to this post :)

33 Erin September 9, 2010

I wish every day was as gorgeous as today–mid 70s F, sunny with blue skies, a light breeze, zero humidity. I managed to sneak out of the office for 15 minute walk mid-afternoon because it was just too lovely to be stuck at my desk. ;)

34 Camille September 9, 2010

I love your last 2 pictures with the weathered looking table. Gorgeous! Those are the kind of settings that are just “average” to the naked eye, but beautiful when you put a camera to them :)

35 Charlie September 9, 2010

I stumbled across that recipe on Shape magazine’s website a couple of times while looking for recipes but never ended up making eat. Your version looks delicious! I love when a meal is that colorful, it usually means it is yummy and healthy!

36 Bee Goes Bananas September 9, 2010

I know, I feel like I should be planning for Thanksgiving already. So cold! I can’t wait to hear your breakfast surprise!

37 Chelsey September 9, 2010

mmm I love me some spicy curry!!! Fall’ish weather is right around the cornere here too! I can’t wait!

38 Ellen@FirednFabulous September 9, 2010

I love chickpeas and flavorful dishes—this is perfect! Looks so fresh, too.

39 Paige @ Running Around Normal September 9, 2010

I’m with ya – I’m not ready for the heat to be gone yet!
Your dinner looks deliciously spicy!

40 Miranda @ MirandasJeans September 9, 2010

I missed the heat today too. I was sporting socks pants regular shirt and a sweater , just around the house!

However it is perfect workout outside weather!

41 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 9, 2010

i’m jealous about the fall weather there! it was 90 today and all i could think was “i can’t wait til i have to wear jeans and a jacket!”

42 Wei-Wei September 9, 2010

I agree – there’s almost nothing better. I love just cutting onions into strips and cooking it down with soy sauce and a sweet Japanese vinegar called mirin. It’s sooo good.

43 Alexandria@BellaVita September 9, 2010

Oh how I long for cold fall weather! I’m jealous: )

44 Jacquelynn September 9, 2010

Oh the fall is creeping in… I am so excited because I found kabocha squash (my fave) at whole foods today! I love winter squash!

45 Mallory @ Untie the Ribbons September 9, 2010

What ever happened to summer? It was pretty weak here in Seattle and now it is already feeling like fall/winter weather – boohoohoo:(

46 kate September 9, 2010

Caramelized onions make any meal more delicious.

47 Lindsay September 10, 2010

Fall has arrived here, too, in North Dakota. Unfortunately, my heat only comes on when the landlord decides it does, and it so happens that that time is Oct. 1, no matter what. It’s already getting into the 30s some nights. Lots of bundling!

48 JL Goes Vegan September 10, 2010

Great curry recipe! ‘Tis the season :)

49 Melanie September 10, 2010

Points of note on this blog:

1. Everyone should think of Mr. T. for at least 10 minutes a day. He is awesome.

2. More Sketchie!!!

3. I had that Justin T. song stuck in my head all day yesterday b/c I heard it on the radio on the way to work.

4. If I don’t see the gingerbread VOO soon, I will lose my mind.

50 RJ September 10, 2010

spooked by the Mr T link! Today is my brother’s 30th birthday. He is having a fancy dress party tomorrow..and he is going as Mr T! As a child he LOOOVVVEED The A team and even had a Mr T doll. It features highly in family photos from the ages of 4-5 for him!

51 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 10, 2010

It’s supposed to get back into the 20s next week, but this weekend is going to be cold!

52 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 10, 2010

Now that I’m back at my apartment at school, I’ve realized how perfect your recipes are for students! They use ingredients that I actually have and they’re fairly quick to make. I will definitely be looking through all of your recipes for my meals this year! :D

53 Jenny September 10, 2010

You must try using that matcha green tea in baking! I made a couple batches of cookies with it years ago, and if you get the measurements just right, it is AMAZING!!
And now I am intrigued to try molasses…I’ve feared it since my grade school pioneer days made me eat it straight! My poor 8 year old mind was scarred.

54 MoniMeals September 10, 2010

Oh Molasses! how do we love you .:) Great b-fast and thanks for the blog lists. I have a barley, molasses-granola recipe (that after getting motivated with your pics) I will be making this weekend. :) We still do not have canned Pumpkin at the stores yet…;(

55 Amber K September 10, 2010

I just wish the season changes weren’t so abrupt here! I wish they would slowly transition, but nope! One day it was 80, the next 60.

56 Cassandra September 10, 2010

I didn’t realize molasses had that much good stuff in it for you!, I think I may now have to start experimenting with that in my food. :)

57 Kemi September 10, 2010

This looks so amazing! I love curry and chickpeas I will be trying this out this weekend!

58 Sana September 10, 2010

Burn baby burn!
I do love Fall, it is just awesome for taking walks and long cool runs!

59 Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey September 11, 2010

You are too cute, Angela. That curry sounds fabulous!

60 Dee September 15, 2010

oh gosh, I love this post. I laughed out loud so many times.

Girrlll, I’ve gotta tell ya – I’ve evernoted every single post you’ve post so far. So many good recipes galore! :)