Feel The Burn

Brrrr…it looks like Fall has arrived early here in Southern Ontario!

20100909IMG 2792 thumb   Feel The Burn

Today was dark, chilly, windy, dark and more dark, and leaves on the ground producing.

20100909IMG 2794 thumb   Feel The Burn

Last night was no different. Eric and I went out for a walk around 9pm we had to bring our jackets it was so windy and chilly out! It could have been Halloween.

Today my mind drifted to thoughts of:

In that order.

Bring back the heat, I protested.

So I did.

In my best Justin voice, I sang, ‘I’m bringing heeee-eeeeat baaaaack.’ and then I fired up the stove and grabbed my favourite curry.

20100909IMG 2739 thumb   Feel The Burn

The heat shall be had.

20100909IMG 2755 thumb   Feel The Burn

Quick & Spicy Veggie Chickpea Curry

Adapted from Shape Magazine.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 cup green beans, cut into small pieces
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder (I used Arvinda’s Curry Masala)
  • 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1 large tomato, sliced
  • 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions: In a medium sized skillet add olive oil and turn burner to medium heat. Add chopped onion and ginger and stir. Cook until caramelized, watching carefully, for about 5-10 minutes making sure not to burn. Add chopped beans, carrots, and chickpeas and reduce heat to low-medium. Add curry powder and soy sauce and stir well. Cook about 5-10 minutes until carrots are softened slightly (do not overcook). Add sliced tomatoes and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and serve with brown rice if preferred.

There is nothing quite like the taste of delicious caramelized onions. Mmm.

20100909IMG 2730 thumb   Feel The Burn

Add in your carrots, green beans, and chicky peas.

20100909IMG 2732 thumb   Feel The Burn

Finally tomatoes, just to warm them.

20100909IMG 2742 thumb   Feel The Burn

20100909IMG 2746 thumb   Feel The Burn

Serve, enjoy, and feel the burn. ;)

20100909IMG 2748 thumb   Feel The Burn

The good kind of burn.

20100909IMG 2754 thumb   Feel The Burn

20100909IMG 2753 thumb   Feel The Burn

Tomorrow, I have a VERY exciting breakfast to show you. Get excited.

The Friday Fun we are going to have will be positively evil. Witch hat and broom optional, but highly recommended.

Crystal September 9, 2010

Mmm curry is so delicious! I usually use Patak’s curry paste but now that I know you have such rave reviews about the brand you use, maybe I will give it a try instead. :)

Whitney September 9, 2010

It seems like Autumn comes earlier and earlier every year! And while I love the pumpkins and big sweaters, I don’t like the snow that comes after it all! I grew up in New Brunswick but I’m in Houston now. It’s a very strange feeling to look forward to the fall, because it means no hot weather…and I don’t have to worry about the snow!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 9, 2010

I’m really particular about my curry but this one looks easy enough. I messed up a recipe a long time ago by adding too much curry powder and I’ve shied away ever since. Time to give a try again!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 9, 2010

It seems fall is coming fast – love curries as an antidote. I was actually just daydreaming about going home and making curried lentils.

Katie September 9, 2010

It totally felt like Fall today here on long island too! I went for a run in the park, and it was just so gray and breezy out. I don’t think I’m ready for it yet!

Though today was the perfect excuse to drink copious amounts of tea. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 9, 2010

You already had a fabulous breakfast with the pizza this week! I can’t wait to see another. :)

christina cadden September 9, 2010

I love autumn! The best season ever!

Cara Craves... September 9, 2010

It’s funny how quickly the weather can change, eh?
I am still experiencing very humid weather; I am ready for a break!

Cara Craves... September 9, 2010

It’s funny how quickly the weather can change, eh?
I am still experiencing very humid weather; I am ready for a break!
Hopefully it will come soon.

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 9, 2010

Yum, I love curry. And I love the fall. Everything about it!

Can’t wait to see what breakfast you have to unveil!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 9, 2010

It’s turning into fall here in Boston, too! It was a little brisk today! Not quite ready for the cold weather.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 9, 2010

It’s chilly here too. I’m missing summer already.

Char September 9, 2010

Mmm, I definitely want to try this. I also had spice on the brain, which is probably why I made a spicy avocado salad!!!

Lauren September 9, 2010

I’m dreading the chilly mornings only because I know that means my Iced Coffee obsession will subside. I’m not ready for hot coffee yet!

I can’t wait to see breakfast tomorrow.

Claudia September 9, 2010

Question about canned chickpeas: is it normal for there to be a black residue at the top of the can when you open it up? I just opened up a can tonight and I assume it’s normal but wondering if you’ve ever noticed that? It was an a can of organic chickpeas if it makes a difference.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2010

I haven’t experienced that before, but I would contact the company and report it

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 9, 2010

A breakfast surprise? I still can’t get over the breakfast pizza (which I made tonight and can’t wait to try!)

It is definitely fall in Minnesota as well! I love it!

Marie @ ReciPeas & Musings September 9, 2010

Ohhh bring on the cold! Sorry Angela! I can’t wait for it to get chilly. Not that I love frigid weather, I just love NOT 100*F and humid weather. Oh Canada, I should just move there! I’m totally okay with you bringin’ the heat, though… that chickpea curry looks beautiful and delicious.

Tina September 9, 2010

I don’t quite know how you can outdo the breakfast pizza but I’m excited. :D

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 9, 2010

I’m actually very jealous that you’re having fall-like weather. Here in DC we’re still sweating.

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 9, 2010

That dinner looks yummy and EASY. That is now added to my must try list :)

Now my interest is peaked for Friday!

Chelsea at Striking Balance September 9, 2010

It is getting chilly where I am too!

Your dinner looks great, might be too hot for me though!! Can’t wait to see the breakfast recipe :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 9, 2010

I so SO wish I lived where you do! I’d KILL for a relief from this heat!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/s September 9, 2010

I was thinking about Halloween today. The weather was giving me that feeling that it’s just around the corner.

Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 9, 2010

Whaaat?!?! I can’t believe it’s jacket weather there! Please send the cooler air this way, down to Atlanta. ;) Can’t wait to see tomorrow’s breakfast!

Lisa September 9, 2010

I love chilly weather-its not that chilly where I live so I am very jealous! Looking foward to hearing about your breakfast tommorow! =)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 9, 2010

Fall hasn’t reached us in the midwest but it was stormy today and in the sixties this morning so I sort of was able to feel it happen! Makes me want pumpkin pie!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 9, 2010

I’m sorry you’re not looking forward to the cold! I for one, can’t wait for these 90* days to end!! :P

Allyson September 9, 2010

I saw this recipe in SHAPE and had plans to make it tonight too (im in California so just starting dinner). RANDOM! I just pulled out of my ingredients and noticed that my green beans are moldy. YUCK! I going to add some mushrooms instead and see if it turns out. If not my husband will be taking me out to sushi :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 9, 2010

Haha glad to see that others dream about pizza, too!

Michelle September 9, 2010

This looks really fantastic! I’ve definitely been wanting heat lately too, so I’ll for sure be giving your recipe a try soon. Anything simple & curry has me sold! :)

Dara September 9, 2010

Mmmm, delicious sounding (and looking!) as per usual. I just made a batch of pumpkin scones (I added raisins that were soaked overnight in water – it plumps them up beautifully), and they are my new favourite scone! Unfortunately, I burned my arm while taking them out of the oven. To console myself I decided to surf the internet, and checked your blog. I had a quiet laugh when I saw the title to this post :)

Erin September 9, 2010

I wish every day was as gorgeous as today–mid 70s F, sunny with blue skies, a light breeze, zero humidity. I managed to sneak out of the office for 15 minute walk mid-afternoon because it was just too lovely to be stuck at my desk. ;)

Camille September 9, 2010

I love your last 2 pictures with the weathered looking table. Gorgeous! Those are the kind of settings that are just “average” to the naked eye, but beautiful when you put a camera to them :)

Charlie September 9, 2010

I stumbled across that recipe on Shape magazine’s website a couple of times while looking for recipes but never ended up making eat. Your version looks delicious! I love when a meal is that colorful, it usually means it is yummy and healthy!

Bee Goes Bananas September 9, 2010

I know, I feel like I should be planning for Thanksgiving already. So cold! I can’t wait to hear your breakfast surprise!

Chelsey September 9, 2010

mmm I love me some spicy curry!!! Fall’ish weather is right around the cornere here too! I can’t wait!

Ellen@FirednFabulous September 9, 2010

I love chickpeas and flavorful dishes—this is perfect! Looks so fresh, too.

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 9, 2010

I’m with ya – I’m not ready for the heat to be gone yet!
Your dinner looks deliciously spicy!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans September 9, 2010

I missed the heat today too. I was sporting socks pants regular shirt and a sweater , just around the house!

However it is perfect workout outside weather!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 9, 2010

i’m jealous about the fall weather there! it was 90 today and all i could think was “i can’t wait til i have to wear jeans and a jacket!”

Page 1 of 212»