Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Thank you for your good luck wishes this morning. :)

We arrived almost an hour early to the race this morning and we were treated with a gorgeous sunrise along Lakeshore.

20100906IMG 2343 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

It was breathtaking.

Possibly the most gorgeous sunrise I have ever seen!

20100906IMG 2344 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

The lake displayed a rainbow of colours.

20100906IMG 2346 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K 20100906IMG 23462 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K  20100906IMG 2348 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K 20100906IMG 2353 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K  20100906IMG 2361 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K 20100906IMG 2365 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

A great start to the race I would say! :)

20100906IMG 2377 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

At 7:30am, the 10km got underway. I was feeling a bit nervous at the start line! ;)

20100906IMG 2396 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

I was thinking, ‘Hrmm. This one could hurt.’

I was also cold, hence the pants and jacket!

20100906IMG 2400 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

We were off like a herd of turtles!

20100906IMG 2407 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

The first km is always so fun! Fast, fast, fast. Adrenaline x 100.

You say to yourself, ‘I LOVE RUNNING!’ Wheeeeee.

Then the honeymoon period ends and you start to get tired!

I started to get tired around the 3km mark. My pace was fast and I was breathless. I cranked the tunes and decided to run for the ‘5km’ marker. Once I got to the 5km, I knew it was just another 5km and then I would be done.

This is the beauty of a 10km race! It is just two 5km runs.

20100906IMG 2410 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Whohoo I made it.

Eric raced to the 5km spot to meet me! He was so proud of himself for getting there in time to see me. It was cute.

But where was I?

20100906IMG 2415 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

He spotted me! It was so fun to see him at the half-way mark.

20100906IMG 2417 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

I was neck and neck with the woman in front of me and the woman behind me for the entire race (and a few men). We kept picking each other off…falling back, moving ahead, falling back, moving ahead for the entire 10km. It was some friendly competition! I love that about races.

In a race, I always try to find people just ahead of me and make it my goal to stay close to them for the entire race. I ended up passing the woman ahead of me around 9km and the woman behind me (pink) passed me in the last 200 metres! I was like ‘oh no you didn’t!’ but I just didn’t have the strength to pass her again. She came up to me after the race and was so sweet and said ‘thank you for motivating me!’ I said the same to her! :)

My 5km time was around 25:15 mins., which is where I wanted it to be to achieve a negative split in the second half.

20100906IMG 2419 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

I was trying really hard to pace myself and not burn out too soon, although I admit, I was already feeling quite tired by the 5km. Perhaps I was going out too hard, I wondered.

Eric ran with me for about 0.5km along the sidewalk. I was sure he was going to take a horrible spill and smash the SLR. Luckily that did not happen! ;)

Then it was time to part ways so Eric could make it back to the finish line.

Off I went with just 5km to go!

20100906IMG 2425 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

At the 7km marker, I knew I was almost in the home stretch!

‘Just a 3km run left’ I told myself. I was pushing hard and my last 3 kms were fast with a pace of around 4:55-5 min/km (which is around a 7:50-7:55 min/mile).

At the 9km marker I started to lose steam and it was a huge struggle to keep increasing my speed. I told myself ‘you are so much stronger than you think’ to defeat the negative thoughts in my mind.

Finally, the finish line was in sight and I was relieved! I saw the time on the clock and realized that I could make it in under 50 minutes if I booted it hard, so I sprinted hard with all of my might.

20100906IMG 2452 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Once I saw the time on the clock it was GAME ON.

I was all business.

20100906IMG 2462 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

All my tiredness went out the window and it was just me against the clock. I sprinted harder than I think I ever have in a race before with my pace getting up to a 5:16 min/mile.

20100906IMG 2463 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

20100906IMG 2464 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Almost there!!

I was SO out of breath. My lungs were in my throat. I could not breathe.

20100906IMG 2469 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Wheeeeeee!!!

20100906IMG 2471 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

I was so exhausted and out of breath I couldn’t bring myself to smile as I crossed the finish line, but I can assure you I was VERY happy!

I was kind of in a daze for a minute after crossing.

20100906IMG 2474 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

What a rush!

20100906IMG 2475 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Here are my Garmin stats:

10krace thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

The official stats:

• Distance: 10km
  • Chip time: 49:50 mins
  • Avg. Pace: 5 min/km or 7:58 min/mile
  • 3rd place in my division out of 17 women ages (25-29)
  • 19th place out of 201 women overall
  • 81th place out of 364 runners
  • I smashed my 10k PR (56:57) by 7 minutes

This race proves to me what a year of training & proper rest and nutrition can do. One thing is for sure, I never would be able to achieve these athletic accomplishments if I was still struggling with my eating disorder, starving myself, and over-training. My body used to be weak & hungry all the time and now it is strong and healthy and happy. :)

No PR could ever top that feeling.

20100906IMG 2496 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

I know a lot of you reading this are currently struggling with disordered eating and I want to tell you that the fight for recovery is worth every second.

You never know what you are capable of until you treat your body right.

We got home at 9:30am and I promptly mowed down on a burger. ;)

20100906IMG 2510 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

A delicious Lentil-Walnut Burger! I am hooked and already planning my next batch! The garlic and toasted walnuts give this burger a WOW factor.

20100906IMG 2520 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

20100906IMG 2511 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

20100906IMG 2500 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

This gal is off to get some R & R. After 4 hours of sleep, I am pooped! I am more sore from this 10km race than I was for my 3 half marathons…funny how speed work does that!

Enjoy your day.

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life September 6, 2010

Wow, congrats!! What an amazing accomplishment! I bet you’ll be grinning for the rest of the day. :)

And that sunrise looked just breathtaking!

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 6, 2010

WOW you speed demon!!! Incredible!
Equally incredible sunset pics :) Love them!

Alex September 6, 2010

The guy standing underneath the time clock in the black jacket is my BF! He was timing the race – I told him to keep an eye out for you! ;) Congrats on a great race and a strong finish! :)

Lisa September 6, 2010

wow, what an amazing sunrise. A great way to start the day. Congratulations on the race, you are so motivating and inspirational. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Shayla September 6, 2010

Congratulations! I am so proud of you and I too had a similar “ah-ha” moment as well. I endured an eating disorder for about eight years and this past year I finally just stopped the battle and was done with letting this eating disorder control my life. Through your blog and others, I saw how real women eat and that gave me the strength to do the same. Of course it didn’t happen over night, it took about a year of overcoming obstacles each day but today I am so much happier, healthier, and stronger! I ran my first 4.0 mile race with my husband and I finished 1st in women!! The first thing I thought was, that would have never happened if I was still struggling with my eating disorder and depriving myself and being underweight. No number on the scale could ever give me that feeling of accomplishment and it was another moment that proved to me that I will never go back to that dark place again. Eating healthy and giving your body what it needs is truly such a wonderful feeling, and I thank you and all the other healthy living blogs for proving that – I wouldn’t be where I am today if it weren’t for you all – you truly are an inspiration and thank you for helping me in so many ways ; )

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 6, 2010

Congrats Angela!

Those sunrise photos are absolutely beautiful!

I love your blog because I did/still do struggle with disordered eating and I love seeing you overcome that challenge and live your best life!

Elle @ A Galley Slave September 6, 2010

Lovely sunrise…thanks for sharing.

You did great! What fun… enjoy your rest and the holiday!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe September 6, 2010

Beautiful sunrise!!

Congrats on the race – you deserve to feel so proud!

Marina September 6, 2010

Congrats on your awesome run!
It’s really inspiring to see how you are strong, both physically and mentally.

Maria September 6, 2010

Good for you!! Way to set goals and accomplish them!

Adina September 6, 2010

Congratulations on completing your 10k under 50 min! I can only imagine the rush of emotions you experienced when sprinting those last km’s to accomplish your goal :) Hope the rest of your day is filled with rest and relaxation!

p.s what an awesome sunrise and start to your day!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 6, 2010

Amazing!! Look at you go! You glow even while sprinting. Great job, Ange.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl September 6, 2010

Gorgeous sunrise!

Congrats on the great race this morning! I love the high that comes from achieving a goal you’ve set for yourself! :)

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats September 6, 2010

Congratulations on your amazing accomplishments and improvement! I hope to be healthy enough again to be able to compete in the two 5Ks I signed up for later this month/early next month.

katherine September 6, 2010

Awesome race recap and congrats on the PR! Your story is so inspiring.

Kristina @ spabettie September 6, 2010

congrats, Angela – that beautiful smile on your face says it all… you look HAPPY and healthy!

the sunrise shots are great!!

Whitney September 6, 2010

Thanks yet again for the amazing words of support. I have not been “bulimic” for about 6 months, but lets face it, it’s always in my mind. Its hard to not fall back so easily into the pattern of negative thinking and self destruction. I had a particularly tough week and ate a lot and wasnt able to work out like I wanted. I had to stop myself from taking it to far.

Your words are inspirational. Thank You.

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska September 6, 2010

Congrats on a great race. You are such an inspiratin!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 6, 2010

Congrats, Angela!! <3

You did amazing!

traci September 6, 2010

Congrats!!! You are truly an inspiration:)

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 6, 2010

Wow! Great job on the 10k!! And those sunrise shots are gorgeous! That view would certainly perk me up before a race. :-)

Nikki T September 6, 2010

GREAT JOB Angela!!! That time is amazing!
Have a wonderful day of R&R…you deserve it!

McKella September 6, 2010

Great job! You look so happy in these pictures, they’re beautiful!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 6, 2010

YOU ROCK! That made me a little misty!! Great job!!

And that sunset, WOW!! So incredibly beautiful!!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh September 6, 2010

Awesome job!!! What a great accomplishment!!! And what beautiful sunset pictures – those are amazing!!!

VeggieGirl September 6, 2010

MAJOR CONGRATULATIONS, DEAR ANGELA!!!!!!

Therese September 6, 2010

Oh my gosh! Congrats, Angela! You are such a speedy freak! Geez! :)

Roanne September 6, 2010

Congrats Angela! You’re awesome!! :D

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 6, 2010

Awesome job!!!!! You’re a PR queen!!!! Way to go, lovely lady– you really are a shining example of how to live life fully!

Sammy September 6, 2010

WOW that is a seriously amazing time. Congratulations! Looks like you had a great time doing it as well, which makes it even better x

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 6, 2010

Wow! How fun! Gosh you make me want to run races again. 10ks were always my favorite, I’d love to get back into speed more than distance. 3rd Place in your division is no joke! Good job lady;)

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit September 6, 2010

Major props Ange! :D I’m so happy for you and your BLAZING fast time! Isn’t it great knowing what we can do?

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 6, 2010

Congratulations Ange!! What an amazing result and congrats on SMASHING your personal best!! I’m smiling in my liver for you!! :D

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 6, 2010

Oh how I love reading race-racps! You are quite the speed demon and way to smash that PR. Congrats!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 6, 2010

Congrats Ange!! Amazing!

Jessica September 6, 2010

That’s so awesome–made me want to cry! :} My husband and I are training for our first half-marathon in November, and it will be the first time that I’ve ever trained or competed (I used to play bball in college) since my eating disorder struggles in college. I am discovering the joys of a body that responds to hard work–that never happened with my ed–I would just get more and more tired! You have to feel so good and proud of yourself…What you’re doing is amazing. I think using your body to do what God powered it to do is the most amazing healing from an ed. Good job! :)

Tara September 6, 2010

wow that second picture is definitely frame worthy!!! (as well as many of the others of course).

your posts make my day and they are a friendly reminder each and every day of how I want to live my life, you are inspirational! :)

kari September 6, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS ANGELA! YOU ROCk! have a nice day.

Kath September 6, 2010

Congrats on the sub-50!!!!!!!! That’s definitely a someday goal of mine :)

Kristen September 6, 2010

Congrats on the race!! You did great. Maybe I overlooked it in the burger recipe but I didnt see how much garlic the recipe called for? They look so good. I am planning on making them for dinner tonight!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

3 cloves garlic…im SO glad I didnt skip out on the amount too. SO GOOD!

Page 1 of 512345»