Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 6, 2010

Thank you for your good luck wishes this morning. :)

We arrived almost an hour early to the race this morning and we were treated with a gorgeous sunrise along Lakeshore.

20100906-IMG_2343

It was breathtaking.

Possibly the most gorgeous sunrise I have ever seen!

20100906-IMG_2344

The lake displayed a rainbow of colours.

20100906-IMG_2346 20100906-IMG_2346-2  20100906-IMG_2348 20100906-IMG_2353  20100906-IMG_2361 20100906-IMG_2365

A great start to the race I would say! :)

20100906-IMG_2377

At 7:30am, the 10km got underway. I was feeling a bit nervous at the start line! ;)

20100906-IMG_2396

I was thinking, ‘Hrmm. This one could hurt.’

I was also cold, hence the pants and jacket!

20100906-IMG_2400

We were off like a herd of turtles!

20100906-IMG_2407

The first km is always so fun! Fast, fast, fast. Adrenaline x 100.

You say to yourself, ‘I LOVE RUNNING!’ Wheeeeee.

Then the honeymoon period ends and you start to get tired!

I started to get tired around the 3km mark. My pace was fast and I was breathless. I cranked the tunes and decided to run for the ‘5km’ marker. Once I got to the 5km, I knew it was just another 5km and then I would be done.

This is the beauty of a 10km race! It is just two 5km runs.

20100906-IMG_2410

Whohoo I made it.

Eric raced to the 5km spot to meet me! He was so proud of himself for getting there in time to see me. It was cute.

But where was I?

20100906-IMG_2415

He spotted me! It was so fun to see him at the half-way mark.

20100906-IMG_2417

I was neck and neck with the woman in front of me and the woman behind me for the entire race (and a few men). We kept picking each other off…falling back, moving ahead, falling back, moving ahead for the entire 10km. It was some friendly competition! I love that about races.

In a race, I always try to find people just ahead of me and make it my goal to stay close to them for the entire race. I ended up passing the woman ahead of me around 9km and the woman behind me (pink) passed me in the last 200 metres! I was like ‘oh no you didn’t!’ but I just didn’t have the strength to pass her again. She came up to me after the race and was so sweet and said ‘thank you for motivating me!’ I said the same to her! :)

My 5km time was around 25:15 mins., which is where I wanted it to be to achieve a negative split in the second half.

20100906-IMG_2419

I was trying really hard to pace myself and not burn out too soon, although I admit, I was already feeling quite tired by the 5km. Perhaps I was going out too hard, I wondered.

Eric ran with me for about 0.5km along the sidewalk. I was sure he was going to take a horrible spill and smash the SLR. Luckily that did not happen! ;)

Then it was time to part ways so Eric could make it back to the finish line.

Off I went with just 5km to go!

20100906-IMG_2425

At the 7km marker, I knew I was almost in the home stretch!

‘Just a 3km run left’ I told myself. I was pushing hard and my last 3 kms were fast with a pace of around 4:55-5 min/km (which is around a 7:50-7:55 min/mile).

At the 9km marker I started to lose steam and it was a huge struggle to keep increasing my speed. I told myself ‘you are so much stronger than you think’ to defeat the negative thoughts in my mind.

Finally, the finish line was in sight and I was relieved! I saw the time on the clock and realized that I could make it in under 50 minutes if I booted it hard, so I sprinted hard with all of my might.

20100906-IMG_2452

Once I saw the time on the clock it was GAME ON.

I was all business.

20100906-IMG_2462

All my tiredness went out the window and it was just me against the clock. I sprinted harder than I think I ever have in a race before with my pace getting up to a 5:16 min/mile.

20100906-IMG_2463

20100906-IMG_2464

Almost there!!

I was SO out of breath. My lungs were in my throat. I could not breathe.

20100906-IMG_2469

Wheeeeeee!!!

20100906-IMG_2471

I was so exhausted and out of breath I couldn’t bring myself to smile as I crossed the finish line, but I can assure you I was VERY happy!

I was kind of in a daze for a minute after crossing.

20100906-IMG_2474

What a rush!

20100906-IMG_2475

Here are my Garmin stats:

10krace

The official stats:

• Distance: 10km
  • Chip time: 49:50 mins
  • Avg. Pace: 5 min/km or 7:58 min/mile
  • 3rd place in my division out of 17 women ages (25-29)
  • 19th place out of 201 women overall
  • 81th place out of 364 runners
  • I smashed my 10k PR (56:57) by 7 minutes

This race proves to me what a year of training & proper rest and nutrition can do. One thing is for sure, I never would be able to achieve these athletic accomplishments if I was still struggling with my eating disorder, starving myself, and over-training. My body used to be weak & hungry all the time and now it is strong and healthy and happy. :)

No PR could ever top that feeling.

20100906-IMG_2496

I know a lot of you reading this are currently struggling with disordered eating and I want to tell you that the fight for recovery is worth every second.

You never know what you are capable of until you treat your body right.

We got home at 9:30am and I promptly mowed down on a burger. ;)

20100906-IMG_2510

A delicious Lentil-Walnut Burger! I am hooked and already planning my next batch! The garlic and toasted walnuts give this burger a WOW factor.

20100906-IMG_2520

20100906-IMG_2511

20100906-IMG_2500

This gal is off to get some R & R. After 4 hours of sleep, I am pooped! I am more sore from this 10km race than I was for my 3 half marathons…funny how speed work does that!

Enjoy your day.

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life September 6, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Wow, congrats!! What an amazing accomplishment! I bet you’ll be grinning for the rest of the day. :)

And that sunrise looked just breathtaking!

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm

WOW you speed demon!!! Incredible!
Equally incredible sunset pics :) Love them!

Alex September 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm

The guy standing underneath the time clock in the black jacket is my BF! He was timing the race – I told him to keep an eye out for you! ;) Congrats on a great race and a strong finish! :)

Lisa September 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm

wow, what an amazing sunrise. A great way to start the day. Congratulations on the race, you are so motivating and inspirational. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Shayla September 6, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Congratulations! I am so proud of you and I too had a similar “ah-ha” moment as well. I endured an eating disorder for about eight years and this past year I finally just stopped the battle and was done with letting this eating disorder control my life. Through your blog and others, I saw how real women eat and that gave me the strength to do the same. Of course it didn’t happen over night, it took about a year of overcoming obstacles each day but today I am so much happier, healthier, and stronger! I ran my first 4.0 mile race with my husband and I finished 1st in women!! The first thing I thought was, that would have never happened if I was still struggling with my eating disorder and depriving myself and being underweight. No number on the scale could ever give me that feeling of accomplishment and it was another moment that proved to me that I will never go back to that dark place again. Eating healthy and giving your body what it needs is truly such a wonderful feeling, and I thank you and all the other healthy living blogs for proving that – I wouldn’t be where I am today if it weren’t for you all – you truly are an inspiration and thank you for helping me in so many ways ; )

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 6, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Congrats Angela!

Those sunrise photos are absolutely beautiful!

I love your blog because I did/still do struggle with disordered eating and I love seeing you overcome that challenge and live your best life!

Elle @ A Galley Slave September 6, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Lovely sunrise…thanks for sharing.

You did great! What fun… enjoy your rest and the holiday!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe September 6, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Beautiful sunrise!!

Congrats on the race – you deserve to feel so proud!

Marina September 6, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Congrats on your awesome run!
It’s really inspiring to see how you are strong, both physically and mentally.

Maria September 6, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Good for you!! Way to set goals and accomplish them!

Adina September 6, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Congratulations on completing your 10k under 50 min! I can only imagine the rush of emotions you experienced when sprinting those last km’s to accomplish your goal :) Hope the rest of your day is filled with rest and relaxation!

p.s what an awesome sunrise and start to your day!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Amazing!! Look at you go! You glow even while sprinting. Great job, Ange.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl September 6, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Gorgeous sunrise!

Congrats on the great race this morning! I love the high that comes from achieving a goal you’ve set for yourself! :)

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats September 6, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Congratulations on your amazing accomplishments and improvement! I hope to be healthy enough again to be able to compete in the two 5Ks I signed up for later this month/early next month.

katherine September 6, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Awesome race recap and congrats on the PR! Your story is so inspiring.

Kristina @ spabettie September 6, 2010 at 12:34 pm

congrats, Angela – that beautiful smile on your face says it all… you look HAPPY and healthy!

the sunrise shots are great!!

Whitney September 6, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Thanks yet again for the amazing words of support. I have not been “bulimic” for about 6 months, but lets face it, it’s always in my mind. Its hard to not fall back so easily into the pattern of negative thinking and self destruction. I had a particularly tough week and ate a lot and wasnt able to work out like I wanted. I had to stop myself from taking it to far.

Your words are inspirational. Thank You.

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska September 6, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Congrats on a great race. You are such an inspiratin!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 6, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Congrats, Angela!! <3

You did amazing!

traci September 6, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Congrats!!! You are truly an inspiration:)

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 6, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Wow! Great job on the 10k!! And those sunrise shots are gorgeous! That view would certainly perk me up before a race. :-)

Nikki T September 6, 2010 at 12:52 pm

GREAT JOB Angela!!! That time is amazing!
Have a wonderful day of R&R…you deserve it!

McKella September 6, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Great job! You look so happy in these pictures, they’re beautiful!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 6, 2010 at 12:58 pm

YOU ROCK! That made me a little misty!! Great job!!

And that sunset, WOW!! So incredibly beautiful!!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh September 6, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Awesome job!!! What a great accomplishment!!! And what beautiful sunset pictures – those are amazing!!!

VeggieGirl September 6, 2010 at 1:00 pm

MAJOR CONGRATULATIONS, DEAR ANGELA!!!!!!

Therese September 6, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Oh my gosh! Congrats, Angela! You are such a speedy freak! Geez! :)

Roanne September 6, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Congrats Angela! You’re awesome!! :D

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 6, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Awesome job!!!!! You’re a PR queen!!!! Way to go, lovely lady– you really are a shining example of how to live life fully!

Sammy September 6, 2010 at 1:09 pm

WOW that is a seriously amazing time. Congratulations! Looks like you had a great time doing it as well, which makes it even better x

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 6, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Wow! How fun! Gosh you make me want to run races again. 10ks were always my favorite, I’d love to get back into speed more than distance. 3rd Place in your division is no joke! Good job lady;)

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit September 6, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Major props Ange! :D I’m so happy for you and your BLAZING fast time! Isn’t it great knowing what we can do?

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 6, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Congratulations Ange!! What an amazing result and congrats on SMASHING your personal best!! I’m smiling in my liver for you!! :D

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 6, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Oh how I love reading race-racps! You are quite the speed demon and way to smash that PR. Congrats!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 6, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Congrats Ange!! Amazing!

Jessica September 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm

That’s so awesome–made me want to cry! :} My husband and I are training for our first half-marathon in November, and it will be the first time that I’ve ever trained or competed (I used to play bball in college) since my eating disorder struggles in college. I am discovering the joys of a body that responds to hard work–that never happened with my ed–I would just get more and more tired! You have to feel so good and proud of yourself…What you’re doing is amazing. I think using your body to do what God powered it to do is the most amazing healing from an ed. Good job! :)

Tara September 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm

wow that second picture is definitely frame worthy!!! (as well as many of the others of course).

your posts make my day and they are a friendly reminder each and every day of how I want to live my life, you are inspirational! :)

kari September 6, 2010 at 1:22 pm

CONGRATULATIONS ANGELA! YOU ROCk! have a nice day.

Kath September 6, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Congrats on the sub-50!!!!!!!! That’s definitely a someday goal of mine :)

Kristen September 6, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Congrats on the race!! You did great. Maybe I overlooked it in the burger recipe but I didnt see how much garlic the recipe called for? They look so good. I am planning on making them for dinner tonight!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010 at 1:36 pm

3 cloves garlic…im SO glad I didnt skip out on the amount too. SO GOOD!

Melissa September 6, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Such pretty pictures of the sunrise! Love the pictures of the race. So excited to get out for a run now! Congrats on your time woot woot!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 6, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Congrats on the run! I loved the thorough recap. I hope you get plenty of rest today :)

JenATX September 6, 2010 at 1:34 pm

1. way to go! we are all proud of you :)
2. “the fight for recovery is worth every second” i love that, thanks for giving me something positive to think about

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Glad you enjoyed it and thank you! :)

Liza (Health Nutting) September 6, 2010 at 1:36 pm

First of all, congrats on an absolutely amazing run! Wow, good for you. Incredible.
Second, those are some of the most gorgeous pictures I think I’ve ever seen.. ever. WOW! :) I love sunrises– so beautiful and peaceful and wondrous!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 6, 2010 at 1:36 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!! That is such an AMAZING time, you must be so proud of yourself :) It really is amazing how much better we become as a result of proper fueling…I’m just discovering this myself! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

betsy September 6, 2010 at 1:41 pm

So happy for you Angela!! Congrats on the new PR!! You totally deserve a big nap today and I hope you are taking one. I am again training for my 11th 1/2 marathon, so wish me good luck. It has been 5 years since I have run one and I am quite nervous about it. You inspire me and I am sure many others.
Your times are awesome! Thanks for sharing and yes that was a gorgeous sunrise! wow!!

Lucy September 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Wow, congratulations on a great race! Such an inspiring post, thank you Angela!

Devyn September 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Good job! You are honestly SO inspiring.

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Those early morning pics are gorgeous. Do you mind if I have one of them printed to frame for my office? I need a nice reminder of the beauty of the morning when I’m struggling to wake up.

Also congrats on your accomplishment. You are so right that the challenge is worth the outcome!

[email protected] ReshapeYourLife September 6, 2010 at 1:48 pm

That sunrise is BREATHTAKING!

Congratulations on the race that is such an accomplishment!! Good job setting a PR!

callah September 6, 2010 at 1:49 pm

congrats! what an amazing job. you’re an awesome inspiration.
Your sunrise pics are breathtaking!!

Sabina September 6, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Way to go, Angela! Great time, great race.

Thanks so much for posting that this achievement was because of rest, training, and proper nutrition. :-)

Tina September 6, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Congrats! Beating a PR by 7 mins is quite impressive.

Sana September 6, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Not to mention you recovered from an injury ( last year?) You are so inspiring because anything is possible when you make healthy choices!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) September 6, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Those pictures from the lakefront are absolutely breathtaking! Moments like that make me grateful to belong in such a beautiful, awe-inspiring universe (that comment made me feel like a total hippie, but I sincerely mean that.)

Fabulous job on the race and many congrats to you! Your accomplishment this morning is quite inspiring.

Also, that burger? Perfection.

Jessica September 6, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Congrats on the 10km!!! That is so awesome!

Kim September 6, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Awesome job Angela! The sunrise was a perfect way to start the day! You are living proof that proper training is the best way to succeed. I have always been an all or nothing kind of a gal and have completed races with little or no training. But distance races definitely require some extra effort. I love that you exceeded your goals. Very inspirational!

Eric did a fantabulous job as photo shoot director. Being an athletic supporter and photographer is difficult work and I should know with an active family. :)

Joyce September 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Congratulations! You are inspiring!!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 6, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Congratulations – and I am so glad you talked about how this race was possible because of treating yourself well. Go you!!

Faith @ lovelyascharged September 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Congrats, Angela, on the amazing stats! That’s a lot of grit to sprint all-out like that towards the end…I know my body would not have been very happy! KUDOS!!!

Alicia September 6, 2010 at 2:28 pm

good on ya, girl!
Inspiring and encouraging as always! Well done!

Fae September 6, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Wow, congrats on a great race!!! I’m sure you’re just glowing right now!!

Kara @ MyWellnest September 6, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous sunrise!
Sounds like a great race, congrats!!!

Camille September 6, 2010 at 2:41 pm

That is an incredible time! You kicked some ass, girl!
Congrats!

Meredith September 6, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Congrats, Angela! Thank you for discussing how this race was possible because of how you treat your body. Your blog has recently inspired me to get help for my eating disorder.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I’m so happy to hear this, goodluck with your recovery!

Larinna September 6, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Great job and congrats on the race! I love the lululemon jacket youre wearing! How did it perform while you were running?

-Larinna
iheartspandex.com

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010 at 3:10 pm

It was great! My only qualm was the pull strings bothered me a bit, so in retrospect I would have tucked them in somehow :)

Amber September 6, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for inspiring change in all of us! I’m bursting with pride for you! Congratulations on your awesome-ness!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 6, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Wow! You have increased your speed SO much. You truly are a healthy inspiration.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 6, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Congratulations! What a great race! You make me so excited to race again once I have this baby! Thanks for the inspiration.

Nicole September 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Wow! Those sunrise photos are so beautiful. The colors are amazing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010 at 3:09 pm

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Emmanuelle September 6, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Congratulations! You are so inspiring!
And these sunrise photos are so beautiful, great way to start a race :-)

Mama Pea September 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm

WHOO HOOOO! Your time was phenomenal! You should be very proud of yourself. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Robin September 6, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Congratulations on a great race. And a very nice way to remind us to take care of ourselves! You are an inspiration!

Katelyn September 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Awe, congratulations!! That is such a great time, and I know, because I just ran my first 5K and it is not nearly close to your 5K split :)

It is such an amazing and inspiring thing that you’ve come so far – it’s hard to get as far as you have, truly. It takes so much inner strength and perseverance to conquer an eating disorder and become healthful. Props to you, girl! :)

Leah @ Simply Fabulous September 6, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Is that a LuLu shape jacket? LOVE the colour! What’s the sizing like? Do they run big, small, just right?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Hmm Im trying to remember the name of it now…it’s def. not a shape jacket. Some type of track jacket. Let me see if I can find it on their site

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010 at 4:18 pm

its a ‘fireside jacket’ :) Comes in tons of colours!
Sizing is pretty much the same as their hoodies I think.

[email protected] Bean to Runner Bean September 6, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Wow wow wow what an awesome post! i dont know where to start – amazing gorgeous sun rise! what a perfect way to start te race huh! your race recap was really great, gripped me right through! what a perfect race you did and well done you for beating the disorder and getting to this stage you deserve a medal!!

Lizzie September 6, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Congrats!! That’s an amazing time – isn’t it cool what out bodies (and minds!) can do when we’re up against the clock? :) Though I have to say I was kind of surprised at the attire – was it really that cold? Guess I am still in summer mode :) Gorgeous sunrise signals a beautiful run!!

Liz September 6, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Wow congrats!

I was there actually, and I ran my first half! I probably would’ve seen you but I missed the half start by 15 minutes because I waited at the 2k start line instead :S When I realized my mistake, I went to the start up but they were already taking down the chip timer sensor! I was so sad, but my brother encouraged me to run on while he timed and drove next to me THE ENTIRE TIME. I love him so much for supporting me so! I ran it in 1:52 and couldn’t be happier! :D

And I completely agree how the sunrise was breathtaking! It almost made me forget how cold it was.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Wow I can’t believe that happened to you! Good for you for keeping on and rocking the half regardless!! :)

Heather September 6, 2010 at 3:47 pm

great job! what a fast time!
I love sprinting at the end.

Miranda @ MirandasJeans September 6, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Wow that’s awesome. Congrats on the new PR! And those sunrise pictures are amazing!

Leah September 6, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Amazing Race and beautiful photos.

Great job… I really need to do some speed training….

Emily September 6, 2010 at 4:03 pm

congrats on your run, first of all! second, i’m interested in what you use to track your mileage? i’m sure you’ve talked about it before, but i’m new to your blog…but very much enjoying it. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I use a Garmin Forerunner 305. PURE LOVE.

Emma September 6, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Wow Angela, congratulations! I love reading your posts so much- your “glow” is certainly infectious. I’m one of those readers struggling with committing to getting healthy again and free from an eating disorder but you really are an inspiration. I used to run cross-country but haven’t been able to for 3 years now and I’m desperate to be able to run again. Seeing how strong, beautiful and happy you are without an eating disorder is certainly helping me :) Thank you again. xxx

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Thank you for your comment :) I wish you all the best with everything!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm

A sub 50min 10km??? CONGRATS!!! What a wonderful and well deserved reward for all your hard work. You should be so very very proud of yourself!!!
Ps – “We were off like a herd of turtles” >> hehe this made me giggle!

Little Bookworm September 6, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Congrats on the race, and those sunrise photos are amazing! :)

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ September 6, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Great job. Those pictures are so good. Amazing sunrise.

schmei September 6, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Wow! I can’t imagine running 10K that fast. My last 8K was 59 minutes… I truly am a member of the turtle herd. :-)

Congratulations on the PR, and thanks for being so inspiring!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 6, 2010 at 4:37 pm

hurray! way to go with the race…awesome time :)

Jo @JAGSfitnessblog.com September 6, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Wow Angela, so fast! Well done, I really enjoyed your recap :)

Jen September 6, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Congrats on the race!!! What a great way to end the long weekend…and I love that the ribbon colours are Ti-Cat gold & black…very appropriate since we smashed the Argos today, lol. Oskie-wee-wee!!! Enjoy the rest of the long weekend!

Callie September 6, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Awesome race! You inspire me to get running again. :)

Robyn September 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Congrats on your PR! What an amazing accomplishment! Also loved the mention of your huge victory over disordered eating — an even bigger achievement that opens so many doors for you and your healthy life.

Major, major congratulations, Angela!

Sava September 6, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Wow congratulations!
It is always exciting, and not to mention inspiring, to hear how people achieve their goals :)

Anyways, good job! You totally earned that delicious-looking burger :P

Sara September 6, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Wow, great run!
Reading your blog always adds a little more fight to my recovery. Thanks for your inspirational words.

thefruitpersuit (Sabine) September 7, 2010 at 7:19 am

agreed :)

Marcia September 6, 2010 at 5:26 pm

You should be proud! That’s an awesome time. I miss running. I did two 1/2 marathons, a 10-mile race, and part of a marathon in the last year, then I got injured. I switched to triathlon training, but still the body needs a break from running. Which makes me sad. I need the stress relief.

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul September 6, 2010 at 5:27 pm

What an amazing accomplishment! I loved that you were able to document the race step-by-step. Made me feel like I was there, and I absolutely love the excitement and adrenaline of race day. Congrats on a great race and a great year of taking care of yourself!

muva 02 September 6, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Hi Angela, WELL DONE excellent time, I’ve only ran a 10K once and
my time was 59 mins, not sure when the next one is, don’t think I
could beat ur time, I started running almost a yr ago so maybe if
I keep putting in the work… who knows.
Well done again, love your posts :-)

Elli @ 16 and Losing It September 6, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I’m so glad your race went so well! I had a 5 mile race today and also did awesome! I feel the same way about eating, 2 years ago I did not eat well enough and was certainly not in shape enough to run one mile let alone 5! All the struggle to lose the weight and eat healthy is totally worth the feeling of my body working hard and well.

Anne September 6, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Oh wow, those sunrise pics are amazing! Congrats on a GREAT race!!!

Jae September 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Holy Cow! What a run! Congratulations :)
When i read this post, I almost started to cry. It’s one of your best, I think :D

Maddie September 6, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Congrats on your race and getting a new PR! The sunrise pictures are so pretty and those burgers look really good :) I will have to make them soon!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 6, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Woohoo!! Congratulations! I remember doing the same thing for the little 5Ks I ran in..I’d always pick someone ahead of me and say “just catch up to them” It made the race seem more fun with little mini goals and what not. :)

It how sweet of Eric to meet you half way!

Emily September 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm

hi. i just wanted to leave you a note to tell you i really love your blog. i came across it some time ago and favorite-d it. i read regularly and love your life goals as well as your positive attitude. congratulations on your 10k. i ran my first marathon this year and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle for myself and my little family just like you. i keep two blogs, one for my little family and the other for my “nutritious recipes” at http://mynutritiousdish.blogspot.com. neither of which i try to get “out there” … telling you only so you have a face with the comment (if you care). thanks for writing. i really enjoy it!

Melissa September 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm

You are such an inspiration! Congratulations! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 6, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Congrats on the race. You finished with a killer time! :) And you are so right about treating your body properly! I feel so much stronger during my workouts now that I’m fueling myself with enough food. You’ve been such an inspiration!

Tiffany September 6, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Thank you for being you and inspiring so many! You have taught me so much. I have recently fallen in love with running and you have inspired me to love myself and be myself. I struggled with bulimia for a long time and have just this year learned to make peace with my body and love myself. You are inspirational!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks September 6, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Wow! Reading this post made me really happy. I just ran my very first 5K race yesterday–a feat I never thought I could ever achieve…and I sit here reading your post thinking: I could totally do a 10K!

Congrats on your race…and those sunrise pics are amazing!!!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope September 6, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Beautiful Sunrise photos!! And you totally kicked some 10k-ass!!! You rock. Such an inspiration. I hope someday to be able to run fast.

dragonfly180 September 6, 2010 at 6:20 pm

congrats on a great run and a PR! you are speedy! :o) the sunrise pics are gorgeous. thanks for sharing.

Danielle September 6, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Wow! For me, just starting to run – this is very inspiring! Yay for you – for sticking to your training program and powering through. :)

Also, absolutely gorgeous sunrise photos! I’m sure there will be people downloading these as a desktop wallpaper.

Carolyn September 6, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Congratulations, Angela!!! I am SO proud of you! And you are so inspiring: So strong, so lovely, and so talented. I am lucky to have found your blog.

Keep running and glowing!

~Carolyn

Crystal September 6, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Congrats Angela!! 10km is a long distance to run, but beating your PR must have felt so good! You are so motivating for the rest of us. :)

PS I think we are on the same dinner-brain wavelength because tonight I turned to my boyfriend and said “I want a burger tonight with avocado on it. I think that would be tasty tasty.” :D

Cara Craves... September 6, 2010 at 6:48 pm

What a feat!
Congrats!
You should be very proud of yourself.

Kristin September 6, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Wow! What an amazing race! The picture of you with the medal is my favorite. Way to go!

Kristy September 6, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Congrats on a great race, the pics were amazing and so inspiring! I know that will be me one day crossing a finish line! :)

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly September 6, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Wow. Those sunset pictures were breathtaking even through the computer. Such an amazing mix of colors, and those tree silhouettes! Congrats on your personal victory. It sounds like such a happy, exhilarating day you had. :-) You are such a little online ray of sunshine for me. And your fruity VOO from last night looked oh so good.

The Healthy Apple September 6, 2010 at 7:21 pm

What a beautiful sunset … Congrats on your race; what an amazing accomplishment…I’m so happy for you! Happy Labor Day!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 6, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Woohoo! Congrats!!! That is AMAZING!

Halley (Blunder Construction) September 6, 2010 at 7:24 pm

The race is ALWAYS worth it if you get to take a home a medal! Nice job! Also, those sunset photos are unreal.

JanetM September 6, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Delurking to say CONGRATS! You are such an inspiration. I enjoy so many of your recipes (and I am not even vegetarian much less vegan!) and your healthful lifestyle. Keep up the good work!

Kris September 6, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Way to go!!!! :-)

Bridget September 6, 2010 at 7:40 pm

The colours of the sunrise are so intense and beautiful. Wow!

You pushed hard in that race and did an incredible job!!! You can tell by all these comments that your readers are so proud of you :) You amaze me more and more with every post Ange

christina cadden September 6, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Congrats that is awesome!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy September 6, 2010 at 8:08 pm

NICE job! You go, girl!!!!!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 6, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Whoo hoo!! Congrats on that PR! :)

Those pictures of the sunrise are beautiful. You should frame one and put it in your office!

Valerie Waters September 6, 2010 at 8:13 pm

What a beautiful day! There are so many rewards for getting up early. There are also rewards for effort. I wish everyone knew that the joy is in doing the work and getting on the other side. You can NOT possibly have that much fun sleeping in!
Great job!
Valerie

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston September 6, 2010 at 8:31 pm

1) That sunrise is gorgeous!
2) Great job on the race!!!!
3) Out of all the “big name bloggers” you are one of my most favorite :)

xox
Katie

rachel September 6, 2010 at 8:49 pm

what a beautiful sunset <3 congrats on the race! and i couldn't agree more, treating your body well is so very worth it.

Mac September 6, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Wow you really had a great sunrise to wake up to! The recap of the race was great, I felt like I was there cheering you on ;)

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 6, 2010 at 8:50 pm

You are a speed DEMON Ange!! Nice job:) How cute of Eric to really get into the role of the photographer. Great race recap as always!

[email protected] September 6, 2010 at 8:53 pm

What a beautiful sunrise! Your time was amazing, you should be incredibly proud of yourself :)

Andrea September 6, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Congrats on an amazing race :) Gorgeous pictures of the sunrise, too!

Hayley September 6, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Happy Labour Day!! CONGRATS on the great race. Angela you are not only a motivation to those behind you in the race you are a motivator for us all. Thank you!! I am so happy that you were able to focus on a healthy lifestyle and it paid of!! 7 minutes off your time is awesome and coming 81st out of 364 runners!!! You deserve a HUGE WOOOO HOOOO!!!

Amy September 6, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Wow – you are so inspiring! Great job on your run!

Sarina September 6, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Congratulations! Your commitment to your own well-being is paying dividends!

Kate September 6, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Congrats Angela! I’m so proud. I’m not a runner myself but it’s inspiring to read about your achievements and you make me feel like even I could train to run a 10k if I wanted to give it a shot :) That’s pretty cool, I must say.

Jill Will Run September 6, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Thank you for your post and the wonderful words about recovery. I’ve been lingering in a state of “almost” recovered for about a year now… and the big thing that has been keeping me restricting is FEAR. I’m afraid that life won’t actually be any better. I’m afraid that I won’t be any better at doing anything. I’m just afraid of so many things. My treatment team promises me that things will be better if I just keep pushing… but sometimes it is helpful to receive those reminders from other sources too. So once again, thank you!

Wei-Wei September 6, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I loved that tidbit you added about disordered eating – such an inspiration. I hope I can be fit and FAST like you soon! ;)

Katheryn September 6, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Congratulations on the race! Your time was fantastic!

Elizabeth September 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Angela, you’ve gotten so many comments already! but just wanted to say congrats on a great race. That’s a really impressive time! So so awesome…I am happy for you :-) best–Eliz

Kristy September 6, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I have such a weak spot for burgers and avacado…

[email protected] September 6, 2010 at 10:40 pm

CONGRATS, sounds like you had a FABULOUS race! I’m so happy for you!. You’re an inspiration every day… or should I say every post :D

As always, thank you for sharing your journey with us.

P.S. Your burger and avocado slices look DELISH :)

Mallory @ Untie the Ribbons September 6, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Congratulations! I am super impressed with your time. I’m working up to running just a 5k right now, but hope to continue on to a 10k. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 6, 2010 at 11:26 pm

WOW Angela!!!!! You totally kicked BUTT!!!! I am impressed!!

Also, those first few pictures are absolutely breathtaking.

lynn September 6, 2010 at 11:39 pm

congratulations. That was amazing. as was that beautiful sunrise, thanks for sharing. I am encouraged to keep going. I have been attempting to run for months now and just can’t seem to build up any endurance… not sure what is holding me back, i get to the 15 minute mark and that is it!!! I am thinking maybe a running clinic or couple of sessions with a trainer may help me over the hurdle here… either way… when I see the pride in your face and the challange to beat your own times it makes me hang in there and just keep going… my goal is to do 5 ks but man… i’m still at 1.13!!! oh well… I have lots of time so I am just going to keep at it…
again… congrats and to the hubby too for not falling with the SLR!!! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm

You can do it Lynn!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 7, 2010 at 1:38 am

congratulations!!!!!!! you’re truly GLOWING in that last picture!

way to rock your race! 10k’s are my fave distance and race to run, love them, as clearly you do too :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm

thanks love!

Sara September 7, 2010 at 3:03 am

Wow. Could anyone NOT be inspired after reading this! =D
You definitely make me want to fight ever harder to get healthy, and ultimately, happy.
Hope I can crack that 10k myself one day! Maybe not too far from now… =)

Sportsgirl September 7, 2010 at 3:13 am

Congratulations Angela! Awesome work!

Casey Lorraine September 7, 2010 at 4:24 am

Congratulations on your awesome run Angela, and love the self empowerment it brings too!

Those avocado slices have me drooling!

Seglare September 7, 2010 at 5:10 am

Congratulations!!! What a great job!

I love your pictures of the sunrise – what an amazing sight it must have been. :)

Starla September 7, 2010 at 5:41 am

So inspiring!

faith @ gracefulfitness September 7, 2010 at 5:50 am

You chopped over 7 minutes off your PR! That’s awesome! I am very impressed. And I am motivated to set my PR goal a little bit higher for my October 10k. Congrats and nice work!

[email protected] September 7, 2010 at 6:47 am

Congrats on your run!

I always love looking at your pics, they’re so beautiful!

MB September 7, 2010 at 7:06 am

Congrats on a great race. You inspire me to want to run. I absolutely LOVE the sunrise photos.

thefruitpersuit (Sabine) September 7, 2010 at 7:18 am

Wow and wow! Love that sunrise and congrats on your PR!

Leanne @ Radiant, Balanced & Fit September 7, 2010 at 7:47 am

Congrats Angela! I’m so pumped for my 10km after seeing your results! You did awesome!!

The sunrise pictures are gorgeous!

Fanta September 7, 2010 at 8:00 am

Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment :)

Violet September 7, 2010 at 10:00 am

Congrats on running your race, Angela! I didn’t run yesterday, but I did do a marathon houseclean! That’s how I celebrated my Labour Day, with labour. I too made roasted squash soup yesterday and it turned out so good. I used butternut and although I usually add apple, I only add one! But this time I used one small yam instead; it is sweet and adds an even deeper colour. I spice it with onion, sometimes garlic, and 1/4 tsp. each of ginger, allspice, curry and nutmeg. Adjust to your own liking; sometimes really curried is nice. I also usually add cashew “cream” at the end: 1/2 cup of raw cashews blended thoroughly with about the same amount of water. I hunted in the fridge and had no raw cashews, and it was still good. Oh, and I like mine blended silky smooth with an immersion blender. Gotta have one of those. With a nice chewy bread or homemade cornmeal muffin, dinner is served.

Jessica September 7, 2010 at 10:34 am

Congratulations on the race!
I heartily agree with you that the first km is the best one. Nothing compares to the adrenaline rush and you feel like you are flying!

Amber K September 7, 2010 at 11:39 am

This is a really inspiration blog. Congratulations on your amazing race!

Chase @ The Chase Project September 7, 2010 at 11:39 am

Way to go!! That’s amazing. You should be very proud of yourself!

Sami September 7, 2010 at 12:36 pm

way to go, doll! hope your labor day weekend was wonderful! thanks for sharing in the beautiful sunset!! xo.

liz September 7, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Awesome time, good for you!

Lisa September 7, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Good for you!!! It looks like a great run, too!

Pam Cakes September 7, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I am inspired! Thank you

Karli September 8, 2010 at 9:19 am

WOOO HOO!! You did awesome and you look fabulous! I did my 1st 10K back in April, and I did NOT look nearly as gorgeous as you at the end. The sunrise pics are beautiful!

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com September 8, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Great job on the race! Love the sunset pictures- gorgeous!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm

thank you everyone! xo

Ingunn September 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Congratulations!!

10k sounds like the perfect race distance; a half marathon seems too unattainable for me right now, but a 5k would stress me out. Thanks for the inspiration, signing up for a race might be just what I need to keep exercising through the dreary winter!

Christan September 9, 2010 at 4:03 pm

So inspiring! It makes me want to start running again really badly!

Anabela September 9, 2010 at 10:00 pm

OMG….you passed me on that race….LOL And that is me in black standing next to you at the start line…..too funny!
Great time, congrats!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010 at 8:46 am

That is too funny! Small world eh? ;) Congrats on your race and goodluck with your half!

Amykinz September 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Your post brought me to tears, Angela… from the breathtaking sunset to the motivational words at the end. I, too, fought an eating disorder for years. You are my current inspiration. :) In high school, I used to run a 5K almost everyday on my lunch break. I’m a looooong way from high school. I’ve developed PCOS and Endometriosis, which both keep me from losing weight and keeping it off, as well as extreme tiredness ALL THE TIME. Since switching to eating how you eat, my energy has been crazily increased! Thank you! I really want to get back into running, but don’t know where to even start. What would you recommend? And how are you tracking your stats? I need goals to beat, like you have.

krissy November 4, 2010 at 12:45 pm

i know, this comment is late, but AWESOME about the PR! We have the same PR!! It felt AMAZING!!
=D