Savoury Pumpkin Scones in a Pumpkin Spiced Glaze

Happy Birthday Dan The Man!

20100903-IMG_2067

Dan got lots of foodie birthday loot!

20100903-IMG_2066

We had a fun night…just out too late as always. We didn’t get home until 2am. I only had 2 Organic Mill Street brews and I felt like I was hit by a truck this morning when I got up.

Read: Getting old. ;)

I don’t know what it is but whenever I have alcohol in me I toss and turn all night. It can be 1 beer or 5 and I still find my sleep is always disrupted!

Eric was the DD last night so he slept like a baby. ;)

20100903-IMG_2070

Steve and Jesse…they are single and looking for love, ladies. ;)

20100904-IMG_2074

Euchre was played!

20100904-IMG_2075-2

Note: Not my hands.

Eric and I had fun playing with Phoenix, the 85 pound & only 6 month old English Mastiff!

20100904-IMG_2078-2

Soooo…back to feeling hit by a truck this morning…

It was nothing a huge Green Monster and some baking couldn’t fix. ;)

20100904-IMG_2166

I cannot even tell you how much better I felt after this Green Monster. A new lease on life, I had.

It contained = 2 cups kale, 1 cup almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 tbsp Vega chocolate powder, 1 tsp raw maca, 1 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder, ice.

20100904-IMG_2165

Anniversary flowers from the in-laws. :)

20100902-IMG_2070

20100902-IMG_2068

Then it was time to get down to business.

Today’s weather called for some Fall-inspired baking…it was a chilly 14C/57F this morning. The wind was blowing, it was raining, and there were new leaves on the ground. Yup, that would be Fall-like.

20100904-IMG_2168 20100904-IMG_2167

Pumpkin Scones it was. *evil cackle*

These were really easy to make despite the long directions…it only took me about 25 minutes to prep I believe. That includes photography too!

[/print_this]

20100904-IMG_2171

Mix dry ingredients!

20100904-IMG_2173

Cut in 1/2 cup Earth Balance Butter..

20100902-IMG_2009

Note: That is only 1/4 cup pictured above.

20100904-IMG_2179
20100904-IMG_2180
20100904-IMG_2182

until crumbly…

20100904-IMG_2185

Mix wet ingredients (including chia/flax egg)…

20100904-IMG_2186
20100904-IMG_2187

Add wet to dry and form into a ball. Do not overmix the dough!

20100904-IMG_2188

Flour surface…

20100904-IMG_2189

Knead dough a few times and then shape into a circle…

20100904-IMG_2192

I added a tiny splash of almond milk to the dough as it was a bit dry.

With a pizza slicer or a knife cut into 8 triangles..

20100904-IMG_2194

Lay on baking sheet…

20100904-IMG_2195
20100904-IMG_2196

Spread with the Vegan egg wash!

This part is fun…no egg required and it turns out just as nice looking!!!

20100904-IMG_2197

Vegan eggwash (1 tbsp cornstarch and 1/2 cup water mixed and heated for 30 secs.)- that’s it!

A gel forms…then spread each scone lightly with it. It looks gross, but hey, so do raw eggs. ;)

20100904-IMG_2198

Bake 14 minutes at 425F. Note the bottom scones were glazed and the top ones were not.

Glaze = a much prettier scone! I would not skip this step. It also gave the Turbinado sugar something to adhere to.

20100904-IMG_2200

Now spread that pumpkin spiced glaze on and decorate however you wish! I added some walnuts.

20100904-IMG_2210

Mmmmmm…

20100904-IMG_2205

Awesome. I was so happy with how they turned out.

Next time I would probably experiment with adding some chopped pecans and raisins to the scones. That would be wonderful!

20100904-IMG_2206

20100904-IMG_2207

Enjoy with your favourite tea…

20100904-IMG_2201

Mmmmm.

20100904-IMG_2202

Fall you ain’t so bad after all.

20100904-IMG_2203

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 4, 2010

Oohh send the single men my way!! PLEASE!!!
LOVE the look of those scones, oh my gosh!They sound and look amazing, perfect for autumn :)

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) September 4, 2010

Mmmm – I love pumpkin scones, I can’t wait to try this recipe!!! The weather is great in Kentucky today but not quite cold enough for pumpkins yet!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 4, 2010

I love pumpkin scones! Those sound incredible Ange.

Kristina @ spabettie September 4, 2010

mmm – YES. scones are my favorite, and these look awesome. I still call pumpkin scones sweet though? :)

good thing you told us those are not your hands… HA ! ;)

looks like a fun night !

Kristina @ spabettie September 4, 2010

ah… I just re read. ;) the glaze would probably be enough for me… I SO want to make these…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010

lol ;)

I called them savoury because I forgot to add any sugar so they were not sweet at all. But the iced glaze on top was perfect.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 4, 2010

These look delish! I don’t think you’ve ever shared a scone recipe with us!

Eric’s friends are cuties! ;-)

And I know how you feel about alcohol. I had ONE drink last night, and my sleep consisted of tossing and turning all night. I’m not a college student anymore, I guess!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 4, 2010

Thse sound to die for!! YUM!!!!!!!!!!

Merry September 4, 2010

Oooh! Those scones look wonderful!

Anything more than one drink and I’m up all night. This is new to me and it’s proving to be quite the drag!!

Love reading your blog, thanks for so many excellent recipes!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 4, 2010

Omigosh. Those sound deeeelicious! Hope your head is feeling a bit better.

Erin B. @ vegan-a-licious September 4, 2010

Ohhh ummm hollah over here!! The guy in blue is a hottie!! and I’m totally single and very much looking :-) if you feel like being an internet matchmaker, by all means please do!! ;-)

Kate September 4, 2010

Those scones look AMAZING! Can’t wait to try.

Also I adore mastif’s!

Stacie September 4, 2010

Thanks for the yummy recipe..per your usual style :) Keep it up! You two have a good weekend!

Camille September 4, 2010

The scones look incredible!
Thank goodness for fall because I will be chowing down on those big time!

Nicole @ yuppie yogini September 4, 2010

I’m helping my sister start a baking blog and I immediately sent her to OSG for recipes that are guaranteed to be delicious, beautiful, and healthy. I’ve made your carrot cake scuffins and spelt pancakes so far and both have come out perfectly. It’s nice to know that your recipes can be trusted. I get the feeling that many cookbook writers these days write recipes without actually testing them. After multiple recipe flops, I gave up trusting Food Network recipes years ago.

These pumpkin scones look amazing…per usual! :)

Tina September 4, 2010

I never think of using pumpkin in with savory flavors.

And I just went out with friends drinking this past weekend for a bachelorette party. I’m pregnant and so didn’t drink a drop…but still woke up feeling hungover! My body gets hungover from sleep now apparently.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010

I get that sometimes too…I find if I am in bed late, it throws off my entire next day b/c I can’t sleepp in for the life of me!

Cathy @ What Would Cathy Eat? September 4, 2010

Wow, these make me hungry. Wondering if you had tried making them with a heart-health oil rather than Earth Balance. I’m trying to cut down on EB because I’m trying to reduce the amount of Omega-6 fatty acids I eat. Maybe organic canola oil or macadamia nut oil would work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010

I haven’t tried them with oil, but it would be worth a shot.
I also want to try them with a bit of pure maple syrup as I think the flavour goes well with pumpkin.

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 4, 2010

Phoenix is such a cute dog!

Your scones just made me get into a baking mood. I always love all your treats, especially if pumpkin is involved! :)

Tonyne @ Unlikely Success Story September 4, 2010

I am so living in the wrong climate. I would give anything right now to be able to wear a sweatshirt comfortably in the evenings. :) Looks like a good time was had!

Those pumpkin scones look absolutely fantastic! I will have to try them soon. I’m fanatic about anything pumpkin anyway. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010

haha you won’t be saying that when it is -30 here and we are freezing out tails off!
Oh to have the perfect climate…wouldn’t that be nice?

Andrea September 4, 2010

I love love love pumpkin scones! I’ll be making these for sure, yum! :) There’s something about fall that seems perfect for baking- maybe its the multiple options that fall flavours offer, or maybe it’s because turning on the oven doesn’t turn the house into a sauna…

Lana September 4, 2010

I’m a sucker for anything pumpkin and especially scones/muffins. Those look amazing!!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 4, 2010

Fall is definitely in the air! Your scones look amazing, especially with the glaze and toppings! Whenever I make scones they don’t rise! I add the baking powder as the recipe calls for but it still doesn’t rise! UGH! I guess I will just have to keep on trying…

Jennifer September 4, 2010

I bet these are amazing just like everything else on your blog! Can’t wait for our weather here in Boston to cool down so I can enjoy these with a hit cup of chi tea! As always thanks for all you share!

Alex September 4, 2010

The pumpkin scones look fantastic! I do have a question for you, Angela, or for any other readers- what’s the best tea/healthy drink for energy? I’m a senior in college writing a philosophy thesis (and trying not to go back to my former 6 cups minimum of coffee a day habit). Any suggestions from anyone would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010

I prefer Jap. Sencha green tea :)

Julia September 4, 2010

Mmmmmm… to the scones and steve and jessie ;)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 4, 2010

I laughed so hard at “note: not my hands” :) You are too funny.

The scones look great, I agree that raisins or chopped pecans would make them even better!

Have a great weekend!

steoh@stephsbitebybite September 4, 2010

I wish I would of had your scone instead of my Starbucks one, I’d probably feel a little less guilty :) These look soo yummy!!!

Where store do you do most of your grocery shopping at?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010

Now that we have a CSA with Plan B farms I would have to go with that! We rarely go to the grocery store anymore and I buy things like nut butter and almond milk etc from a wholesaler.

allison September 4, 2010

Those scones look so good!!! Its about 90 degrees here in florida and i wanted to wait till it feels like fall to start using fall flavors but i might make an exception for these scones and make them pronto!!

Kate September 4, 2010

Baking these pronto!!! It’s a perfect autumn day today and I’m so excited for pumpkin to start popping up everywhere :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 4, 2010

Alcohol combined with staying out late always makes me feel icky in the morning, and I’m only 22!

Devon September 4, 2010

Angela, why do you torture me with pumpkin recipes?! We STILL can’t get it around here…won’t be able to for a month or so. So with a sigh I bookmark yet another amazing-looking pumpkin recipe from you, and hope the pumpkin truck comes sooner than forecasted…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010

I hope you get some soon, that would be awful!

lisa September 4, 2010

these look delicious, and beautiful too!! I love pumpkin :)

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe September 4, 2010

I have been craving pumpkin for days, and our grocery store still does not have it! This scone recipe is pure torture…they look so good:)

tasha - the clean eating mama September 4, 2010

Hey Ange! I just wanted to let you know I featured this recipe on my blog – it looks amazing!

tasha - the clean eating mama September 4, 2010
Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010

thank you!

faith @ gracefulfitness September 4, 2010

I hear you about the booze-induced tossing and turning except for me it is with wine and liquor but beer makes me sleep deep. Unfortunately wine is my favorite! It just makes me stick to one glass or less so I guess that’s o.k.
I bought a beautiful pumpkin at the farmer’s market today and will turn it into those gorgeous scones. Thanks!

Amber K September 4, 2010

Alcohol disrupts my sleep as well. But I gotta love a good green monster!

My husband and I went out on a date last night, we were gone for what felt like hours of fun, but were home by 9:30. I was ready to CRASH. Most definitely getting old, lol. I guess 27 (me) and 30 (him) is old!

Becky Sams September 4, 2010

Angela- these look fantastic. I so want to make them and will save the recipe, but I can’t find pumpkin in Ohio STILL ! The last time I found some , a few months ago, I found organic and paid $4 a can ! Now I can’t even find that. :( Do you have any idea how much sugar and or/maple syrup you would use to make these sweet? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010

The original recipes used 7 tbsp sugar, which is almost 1/2 cup. You could probably get away with 1/4 cup.

lindsay (goodiesgalore) September 4, 2010

my dear god…

katie September 4, 2010

Hi!!
I have probably already commented this at one point, but I just wanted to say it again! I strive to be more like you, in the way that, you have gotten a healthy relationship with food, and exercise. I read your blog every morning before work and it has helped me not obsess over food as much. I still obsess a bit, but not as crazy as before! :)

So! Thanks!!!
I still have to get my butt up to Oakville to get some of you bars!
Have a great long wknd!:)

Jenny@ The Healthy Teenager, a teenager with a healthy twist on life :) September 4, 2010

Those look soooo yummy!!! We don’t get canned pumpkin here in New Zealand :( Do you know how I could use REAL fresh pumpkin to make these?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010

there is a tutorial over at vegan yum yum :)

Michal September 4, 2010

What is the tool you used to cut in the Earth Balance? I have such a hard time with that step in recipes and I’ve never seen this tool before.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010

It is a pastry cutter :) Very handy when making pie crusts too

Jillian@ ReshapeYourLife September 4, 2010

I think I need to start baking more… those look delicious!

I can never find the earth balance you use! I can only find the Soy Garden kind, not the soy-less. I may have to make the trip to “the big city” to find some. :)

Page 1 of 3123»