Savoury Pumpkin Scones in a Pumpkin Spiced Glaze

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 4, 2010

Happy Birthday Dan The Man!

20100903-IMG_2067

Dan got lots of foodie birthday loot!

20100903-IMG_2066

We had a fun night…just out too late as always. We didn’t get home until 2am. I only had 2 Organic Mill Street brews and I felt like I was hit by a truck this morning when I got up.

Read: Getting old. ;)

I don’t know what it is but whenever I have alcohol in me I toss and turn all night. It can be 1 beer or 5 and I still find my sleep is always disrupted!

Eric was the DD last night so he slept like a baby. ;)

20100903-IMG_2070

Steve and Jesse…they are single and looking for love, ladies. ;)

20100904-IMG_2074

Euchre was played!

20100904-IMG_2075-2

Note: Not my hands.

Eric and I had fun playing with Phoenix, the 85 pound & only 6 month old English Mastiff!

20100904-IMG_2078-2

Soooo…back to feeling hit by a truck this morning…

It was nothing a huge Green Monster and some baking couldn’t fix. ;)

20100904-IMG_2166

I cannot even tell you how much better I felt after this Green Monster. A new lease on life, I had.

It contained = 2 cups kale, 1 cup almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 tbsp Vega chocolate powder, 1 tsp raw maca, 1 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder, ice.

20100904-IMG_2165

Anniversary flowers from the in-laws. :)

20100902-IMG_2070

20100902-IMG_2068

Then it was time to get down to business.

Today’s weather called for some Fall-inspired baking…it was a chilly 14C/57F this morning. The wind was blowing, it was raining, and there were new leaves on the ground. Yup, that would be Fall-like.

20100904-IMG_2168 20100904-IMG_2167

Pumpkin Scones it was. *evil cackle*

These were really easy to make despite the long directions…it only took me about 25 minutes to prep I believe. That includes photography too!

[/print_this]

20100904-IMG_2171

Mix dry ingredients!

20100904-IMG_2173

Cut in 1/2 cup Earth Balance Butter..

20100902-IMG_2009

Note: That is only 1/4 cup pictured above.

20100904-IMG_2179
20100904-IMG_2180
20100904-IMG_2182

until crumbly…

20100904-IMG_2185

Mix wet ingredients (including chia/flax egg)…

20100904-IMG_2186
20100904-IMG_2187

Add wet to dry and form into a ball. Do not overmix the dough!

20100904-IMG_2188

Flour surface…

20100904-IMG_2189

Knead dough a few times and then shape into a circle…

20100904-IMG_2192

I added a tiny splash of almond milk to the dough as it was a bit dry.

With a pizza slicer or a knife cut into 8 triangles..

20100904-IMG_2194

Lay on baking sheet…

20100904-IMG_2195
20100904-IMG_2196

Spread with the Vegan egg wash!

This part is fun…no egg required and it turns out just as nice looking!!!

20100904-IMG_2197

Vegan eggwash (1 tbsp cornstarch and 1/2 cup water mixed and heated for 30 secs.)- that’s it!

A gel forms…then spread each scone lightly with it. It looks gross, but hey, so do raw eggs. ;)

20100904-IMG_2198

Bake 14 minutes at 425F. Note the bottom scones were glazed and the top ones were not.

Glaze = a much prettier scone! I would not skip this step. It also gave the Turbinado sugar something to adhere to.

20100904-IMG_2200

Now spread that pumpkin spiced glaze on and decorate however you wish! I added some walnuts.

20100904-IMG_2210

Mmmmmm…

20100904-IMG_2205

Awesome. I was so happy with how they turned out.

Next time I would probably experiment with adding some chopped pecans and raisins to the scones. That would be wonderful!

20100904-IMG_2206

20100904-IMG_2207

Enjoy with your favourite tea…

20100904-IMG_2201

Mmmmm.

20100904-IMG_2202

Fall you ain’t so bad after all.

20100904-IMG_2203

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 4, 2010 at 11:43 am

Oohh send the single men my way!! PLEASE!!!
LOVE the look of those scones, oh my gosh!They sound and look amazing, perfect for autumn :)

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) September 4, 2010 at 11:47 am

Mmmm – I love pumpkin scones, I can’t wait to try this recipe!!! The weather is great in Kentucky today but not quite cold enough for pumpkins yet!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 4, 2010 at 11:52 am

I love pumpkin scones! Those sound incredible Ange.

Kristina @ spabettie September 4, 2010 at 11:53 am

mmm – YES. scones are my favorite, and these look awesome. I still call pumpkin scones sweet though? :)

good thing you told us those are not your hands… HA ! ;)

looks like a fun night !

Kristina @ spabettie September 4, 2010 at 11:55 am

ah… I just re read. ;) the glaze would probably be enough for me… I SO want to make these…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010 at 11:55 am

lol ;)

I called them savoury because I forgot to add any sugar so they were not sweet at all. But the iced glaze on top was perfect.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 4, 2010 at 11:56 am

These look delish! I don’t think you’ve ever shared a scone recipe with us!

Eric’s friends are cuties! ;-)

And I know how you feel about alcohol. I had ONE drink last night, and my sleep consisted of tossing and turning all night. I’m not a college student anymore, I guess!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 4, 2010 at 11:58 am

Thse sound to die for!! YUM!!!!!!!!!!

Merry September 4, 2010 at 11:59 am

Oooh! Those scones look wonderful!

Anything more than one drink and I’m up all night. This is new to me and it’s proving to be quite the drag!!

Love reading your blog, thanks for so many excellent recipes!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 4, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Omigosh. Those sound deeeelicious! Hope your head is feeling a bit better.

Erin B. @ vegan-a-licious September 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Ohhh ummm hollah over here!! The guy in blue is a hottie!! and I’m totally single and very much looking :-) if you feel like being an internet matchmaker, by all means please do!! ;-)

Kate September 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Those scones look AMAZING! Can’t wait to try.

Also I adore mastif’s!

Stacie September 4, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for the yummy recipe..per your usual style :) Keep it up! You two have a good weekend!

Camille September 4, 2010 at 12:16 pm

The scones look incredible!
Thank goodness for fall because I will be chowing down on those big time!

Nicole @ yuppie yogini September 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I’m helping my sister start a baking blog and I immediately sent her to OSG for recipes that are guaranteed to be delicious, beautiful, and healthy. I’ve made your carrot cake scuffins and spelt pancakes so far and both have come out perfectly. It’s nice to know that your recipes can be trusted. I get the feeling that many cookbook writers these days write recipes without actually testing them. After multiple recipe flops, I gave up trusting Food Network recipes years ago.

These pumpkin scones look amazing…per usual! :)

Tina September 4, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I never think of using pumpkin in with savory flavors.

And I just went out with friends drinking this past weekend for a bachelorette party. I’m pregnant and so didn’t drink a drop…but still woke up feeling hungover! My body gets hungover from sleep now apparently.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I get that sometimes too…I find if I am in bed late, it throws off my entire next day b/c I can’t sleepp in for the life of me!

Cathy @ What Would Cathy Eat? September 4, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Wow, these make me hungry. Wondering if you had tried making them with a heart-health oil rather than Earth Balance. I’m trying to cut down on EB because I’m trying to reduce the amount of Omega-6 fatty acids I eat. Maybe organic canola oil or macadamia nut oil would work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I haven’t tried them with oil, but it would be worth a shot.
I also want to try them with a bit of pure maple syrup as I think the flavour goes well with pumpkin.

[email protected] September 4, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Phoenix is such a cute dog!

Your scones just made me get into a baking mood. I always love all your treats, especially if pumpkin is involved! :)

Tonyne @ Unlikely Success Story September 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I am so living in the wrong climate. I would give anything right now to be able to wear a sweatshirt comfortably in the evenings. :) Looks like a good time was had!

Those pumpkin scones look absolutely fantastic! I will have to try them soon. I’m fanatic about anything pumpkin anyway. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010 at 12:50 pm

haha you won’t be saying that when it is -30 here and we are freezing out tails off!
Oh to have the perfect climate…wouldn’t that be nice?

Andrea September 4, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I love love love pumpkin scones! I’ll be making these for sure, yum! :) There’s something about fall that seems perfect for baking- maybe its the multiple options that fall flavours offer, or maybe it’s because turning on the oven doesn’t turn the house into a sauna…

Lana September 4, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I’m a sucker for anything pumpkin and especially scones/muffins. Those look amazing!!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 4, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Fall is definitely in the air! Your scones look amazing, especially with the glaze and toppings! Whenever I make scones they don’t rise! I add the baking powder as the recipe calls for but it still doesn’t rise! UGH! I guess I will just have to keep on trying…

Jennifer September 4, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I bet these are amazing just like everything else on your blog! Can’t wait for our weather here in Boston to cool down so I can enjoy these with a hit cup of chi tea! As always thanks for all you share!

Alex September 4, 2010 at 12:58 pm

The pumpkin scones look fantastic! I do have a question for you, Angela, or for any other readers- what’s the best tea/healthy drink for energy? I’m a senior in college writing a philosophy thesis (and trying not to go back to my former 6 cups minimum of coffee a day habit). Any suggestions from anyone would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I prefer Jap. Sencha green tea :)

Julia September 4, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Mmmmmm… to the scones and steve and jessie ;)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 4, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I laughed so hard at “note: not my hands” :) You are too funny.

The scones look great, I agree that raisins or chopped pecans would make them even better!

Have a great weekend!

[email protected] September 4, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I wish I would of had your scone instead of my Starbucks one, I’d probably feel a little less guilty :) These look soo yummy!!!

Where store do you do most of your grocery shopping at?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Now that we have a CSA with Plan B farms I would have to go with that! We rarely go to the grocery store anymore and I buy things like nut butter and almond milk etc from a wholesaler.

allison September 4, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Those scones look so good!!! Its about 90 degrees here in florida and i wanted to wait till it feels like fall to start using fall flavors but i might make an exception for these scones and make them pronto!!

Kate September 4, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Baking these pronto!!! It’s a perfect autumn day today and I’m so excited for pumpkin to start popping up everywhere :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 4, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Alcohol combined with staying out late always makes me feel icky in the morning, and I’m only 22!

Devon September 4, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Angela, why do you torture me with pumpkin recipes?! We STILL can’t get it around here…won’t be able to for a month or so. So with a sigh I bookmark yet another amazing-looking pumpkin recipe from you, and hope the pumpkin truck comes sooner than forecasted…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

I hope you get some soon, that would be awful!

lisa September 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm

these look delicious, and beautiful too!! I love pumpkin :)

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe September 4, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I have been craving pumpkin for days, and our grocery store still does not have it! This scone recipe is pure torture…they look so good:)

tasha - the clean eating mama September 4, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Hey Ange! I just wanted to let you know I featured this recipe on my blog – it looks amazing!

tasha - the clean eating mama September 4, 2010 at 2:12 pm

here is the link http://www.thecleaneatingmama.com/2010/09/weekend-treats.html

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

thank you!

faith @ gracefulfitness September 4, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I hear you about the booze-induced tossing and turning except for me it is with wine and liquor but beer makes me sleep deep. Unfortunately wine is my favorite! It just makes me stick to one glass or less so I guess that’s o.k.
I bought a beautiful pumpkin at the farmer’s market today and will turn it into those gorgeous scones. Thanks!

Amber K September 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Alcohol disrupts my sleep as well. But I gotta love a good green monster!

My husband and I went out on a date last night, we were gone for what felt like hours of fun, but were home by 9:30. I was ready to CRASH. Most definitely getting old, lol. I guess 27 (me) and 30 (him) is old!

Becky Sams September 4, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Angela- these look fantastic. I so want to make them and will save the recipe, but I can’t find pumpkin in Ohio STILL ! The last time I found some , a few months ago, I found organic and paid $4 a can ! Now I can’t even find that. :( Do you have any idea how much sugar and or/maple syrup you would use to make these sweet? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010 at 8:01 pm

The original recipes used 7 tbsp sugar, which is almost 1/2 cup. You could probably get away with 1/4 cup.

lindsay (goodiesgalore) September 4, 2010 at 2:40 pm

my dear god…

katie September 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Hi!!
I have probably already commented this at one point, but I just wanted to say it again! I strive to be more like you, in the way that, you have gotten a healthy relationship with food, and exercise. I read your blog every morning before work and it has helped me not obsess over food as much. I still obsess a bit, but not as crazy as before! :)

So! Thanks!!!
I still have to get my butt up to Oakville to get some of you bars!
Have a great long wknd!:)

[email protected] The Healthy Teenager, a teenager with a healthy twist on life :) September 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Those look soooo yummy!!! We don’t get canned pumpkin here in New Zealand :( Do you know how I could use REAL fresh pumpkin to make these?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm

there is a tutorial over at vegan yum yum :)

Michal September 4, 2010 at 3:14 pm

What is the tool you used to cut in the Earth Balance? I have such a hard time with that step in recipes and I’ve never seen this tool before.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010 at 8:03 pm

It is a pastry cutter :) Very handy when making pie crusts too

[email protected] ReshapeYourLife September 4, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I think I need to start baking more… those look delicious!

I can never find the earth balance you use! I can only find the Soy Garden kind, not the soy-less. I may have to make the trip to “the big city” to find some. :)

Katie September 4, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Yum! I LOVE pumpkin. Wish the bakery where I worked made pumpkin scones – looks like I’ll just have to try these!

Alaina - The Jogging Concierge September 4, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Ooooh, those look so good! I looove scones. I now have my breakfasts for the month of October :-)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 4, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Oh. Wow. AND I will be making those very soon…

[email protected] September 4, 2010 at 4:24 pm

OMG those scones look amazing! I love the starbucks ones, but these look even better and better for you too! Thanks so much for this recipe :)

Traci September 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe! Unfortunately due to the drought this summer canned pumpkin can not be found anywhere :( Your recipes rock though not one has failed me yet:)

Tay September 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I noticed that the morning AFTER I drink I toss and turn! I’ll wake up at 6 or 7 to pee or whatever. And then I can’t fall back asleep for the life of me! Must be something with that dang alcohol…
Um WOW to your recipe! Since they’re savoury, are they at all sweet? I personally like sweet stuff ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I would add sugar if you want them sweet…the original recipe called for 7 tbsp!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm

OH MY! Those scones look DIVINE!! I heart pumpkin scones and wish I could have a bite. The glaze looks finger lickin good ;)

MoniMeals September 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Just Brilliant on those scones. I want one!
I also have had a hard time with drinking any alcohol lately, (even if it is 1 or 4 )but I get to feel the love regardless. Know you aren’t alone! :)

Morgan Feld September 4, 2010 at 5:47 pm

So jealous of your weather! It’s over twice as hot here– 120 degrees!

But I can’t wait to try those scones.. I can pretend it’s fall :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 4, 2010 at 6:24 pm

alcohol is known to make people toss and turn, I think it’s b/c your body and liver is working on detoxing and purifying your body while really it should be focused on sleeping! And yes, it totally impacts the quality of sleep you get. I find the same thing!

The scones look great and happy 2nd anniversary…lovely flowers :)

Jessie September 4, 2010 at 6:29 pm

In addition to being a vegetarian and blog-reader, I’m a med student and huge nerd. That said, alcohol’s sedative properties tend to make one fall asleep faster, but something that isn’t perfectly understood about how alcohol interacts with norepinephrine and serotonin also decreases your time in REM sleep after drinking… meaning your tossing and turning is most def related to alcohol’s effects on your bod.
Gorgeous scones, btw!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I remember this from a sensation & perception class in psychology…although you put it so much better than I would have. ;) I also usually take longer to fall asleep when I drink minimally. What is up with that?

Jessie September 5, 2010 at 9:34 am

No idea! I’ll let you know if I find out anything… I think we have sleep lectures in just a couple of weeks. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 4, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Mmmm those look fabulous!! I can’t wait until Libbys starts stocking their pumpkin again! Well, fingers crossed that they do..

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Ange, those look delicious! I just bought 3 cans of pumpkin today… there are MAJOR pumpkin plans in the works for next week! :)

It looks like you guys had a really fun night. I’m the same way as you – doesn’t matter how much booze I drink, it always ends up having an effect on my sleep. I’m only 22 – this does not bode well for my later years!!

Becki September 4, 2010 at 7:51 pm

pumpkin scones are my favourite vegan treat to make! i use the recipe from veganomicon. soo delicious! working at starbucks makes me sad at this time of year :( so far i’ve had to make vegan pumpkin scones and muffins to keep me from feeling deprived at work!

i like cute, single boys!! and you and i live so close…hmmmm…? ;)

Heather September 4, 2010 at 7:51 pm

pumpkin? did you say pumpkin? YUM! cant wait to try this!

Cara Craves... September 4, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Genius!
They look so delicious…they sorta look like the ones you can get at Starbucks, but I am
quite certain that your would be much better.

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Yay for pumpkins and fall! Another amazing looking recipe! How am I supposed to keep up with all of them??! :)

Ginger September 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Pumpkin is definitely in the air …love this time of year! I attempted pumpkin biscotti’s pretty turned out pretty good …I have left over pumpkin so going to try scone’s tomorrow :)

I was gonna give up on hope that there were any single man left in Ontario :) let alone handsome ones :) send them north of the city ;)

Lizzie September 4, 2010 at 8:52 pm

That dog! LOVE!! So cute – I just love big dogs. Also, I’m not sure how old you are, but if you’re not 34 then you’re young!!! :) Actually, we’re all fabulously young – at least that’s what I keep telling all my friends :)

Brittany September 4, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Pumpkin ANYTHING and I am there! I love eating pumpkin at anytime, but I especially like it when fall starts to roll in – makes me think about thanksgiving and family!

Ohhh cute boys! Hook me up ;) lol

@Ginger – hahah no single ones left in my corner of Ontario either

Gree September 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Oh my, these look totally pumpkin-licious! I love fall and all the harvest foodie themes, and while I never eat those pumpkin scones from Starbucks I often ogle them. Now I can eat them!

Noelle September 4, 2010 at 10:34 pm

These DO look EVIL! I am going to have to make these pretty soon. NOte to self, buy some pumpkin tomorrow after church.

GFree_Miel September 4, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Those pumpkin scones look amazing! And that green monster would have come in handy the morning after my twenty-first birthday!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 4, 2010 at 11:32 pm

wow oh wow – these look better than ones you would buy in the shops!!!

Maria Schade September 4, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Oh how I would lurve some chilly weather right now. Guam’s idea of cooler temps is a freeeeeezing 85 =).
Those scones look delish and I would love to make some, but even canned pumpkin is seasonal here and I can’t get my hands on it until Oct! I will def be using that recipe then though.

Kate September 5, 2010 at 12:01 am

Hi Ange, love your blog but I was wondering about something. I’m trying to eat like you because in my mind it’s how i was meant to. And I have the same exact binge problem like you had, and I’m trying to “let go”. Are there any foods that are not vegan that you will always lets yourself have when you crave it? Or are you strict about being vegan and find a substitute for everything? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 5, 2010 at 8:33 am

Hi Kate,

For me, it was a very gradual transition toward veganism and I think because I did this, I did not feel deprived of foods. I went from a meat eater to a vegetarian to a vegan over at least a couple years. For a long time, I was eating vegetarian, but very rarely dairy. This was my way of testing the waters out to see if I could like it without any animals products.
I had cravings for cheese and ice cream for the first 4 months, but I don’t crave it anymore. It has amazed me how my body has started craving other foods now, almost forgetting about my previous diet. I actually prefer the foods I eat now and I think my body does too. Occasionally I will still get a craving for ice cream or eggs, but I find it is fairly easy for me now to find something else I enjoy. It does take time though and is why I suggest taking a very gradual approach to a vegan diet. It worked for me anyways and I didn’t feel that ‘all or none’ cutoff point, but I decided when I was ready instead based on my ‘practice’.

beetred @ thisweekseats September 5, 2010 at 1:28 am

wow, yum!! the scones look good too ;)

Wei-Wei September 5, 2010 at 4:06 am

What do you mean, ain’t so bad? I LOVE FALL!

Desi @ The Palate Peacemaker September 5, 2010 at 6:26 am

Angelaaaaaa! I am obsessed with all things pumpkin and these are no exception! I’ve make pumpkin scones before, but I’ve never used that vegan egg wash trick! I love it! Can’t wait to try it myself. You’re right, it definitely makes them look even prettier. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 5, 2010 at 7:22 am

Mmm these scones are making me so excited for fall! It definitely feels like it this weekend. :D

Laura (spokesnoats) September 5, 2010 at 7:23 am

These look incredible. I like how you’ve topped them all differently.

Jessie September 5, 2010 at 7:42 am

I make the original recipe all the time with pumpkins from the garden. LOVE THEM! Can’t wait to try your changes to make them a healthier treat for the kids to bring for snack at school!

Kiersten September 5, 2010 at 9:17 am

Those sound delish! I have never tried a pumpkin scone before. I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am that it’s almost pumpkin season!

Tracey September 5, 2010 at 1:12 pm

These scones sound so good! I am craving everything pumpkin right now due to this weather :)

Danielle September 5, 2010 at 8:59 pm

These scones are currently in the oven and the scent is to die for. I cannot wait to taste them!

Southern Elle September 6, 2010 at 6:48 am

These look delicious. As soon as I can find a pumpkin I’ll be making something similar!

Jenn September 7, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I just HAD to tell you that I made these on Labor day morning. My boyfriend refuses to eat all the Vegan things I make. So when I made these I didn’t say anything and let the smell and me taking a bite of mine speak for itself. He instantly complained of where was his serving! haha He devoured it AND took 3 pieces to work to share with his buddies.

These scones are the most amazing thing I have ever tasted! Thanks so much for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Glad you all enjoyed them!!!

Tina @ The Shakespearean Tomato September 9, 2010 at 9:27 am

Oh…my…goodness…

These just look TOO amazing! Flavorwise they remind me of the pumpkin/sweet potato muffins I make, but that icing just totally makes it! I think I am trying these next time instead of a batch of muffins. Maybe toss in some dried orange scented cranberries!

BTW – Anyone who can’t find canned pumpkin right now because of the pumpkin rot last year, if you bake sweet potatoes, peel the skins off and mash the meat up it makes a GREAT substitution in recipes!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) September 12, 2010 at 8:45 am

Thanks for posting this! I LOVE Starbucks pumpkin scones, and since I’m vegan this has been a yearly “cheat” for me — now I don’t have to cheat anymore! Looking forward to making these :)

Geneviève September 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Oh. My. Goodness…
There are TO DIE FOR!!!
I just ate 1.5 and that other half will be consumed after this comment!!!
Thank you sooooo much for sharing this recipe! I will be making this again and again and again for family and friends!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance: Diary of a Dietetic Intern) October 8, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I just baked these! I will post them on my blog soon :)

Lauren October 24, 2010 at 11:42 am

I just baked these and they turned out amazing. Before I baked them my boyfriend told me he didn’t like scones. Umm…he’s already eaten two!

Anna December 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I started to make these Christmas morning and realized halfway through that I was out of pumpkin!!! I improvised with bananas – it turned out great too!

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:19 pm

What would be a good substitute for spelt flour in this? CANNOT wait to make ’em! XX

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:19 pm

PS. The guy on the right in the blue is adorable… BUT I live in Atlanta, so…