Look Out, Here I Come

20100829-IMG_1603

Hiking was fun!

Lots of great look-out points and spots to rest our weary legs. We were spoiled with a 30C hot and sunny day today. We have to make use of all of these last warm days that we can.

Being a goof ball in my No Meat Athlete tee!

20100829-IMG_1547 20100829-IMG_1559

20100829-IMG_1586

20100829-IMG_1587 20100829-IMG_1590

20100829-IMG_1591  20100829-IMG_1595

Love this pic!

20100829-IMG_1607

20100829-IMG_1616 20100829-IMG_1623

This was another favourite picture. :)

20100829-IMG_1642

For dinner we wanted something light and summery. We were in luck because we had a whole crisper full of CSA veggies to eat up.

20100829-IMG_1487 20100829-IMG_1494

20100829-IMG_1496

Eggplants are so fun. :) I was very excited to get one in last week’s CSA.

20100829-IMG_1497

I used to not like eggplant too! Another recent conquest in the past 2 years.

20100829-IMG_1498

20100829-IMG_1502

20100829-IMG_1503

20100829-IMG_1504

20100829-IMG_1507

20100829-IMG_1536

Chewy Eggplant Chips

Inspired by VegWeb.

Ingredients:

• 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4” rounds
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2-1 tsp Sea salt
  • Ground black pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • Herbs/spices of your choice (I used fresh rosemary)

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F and grab two baking sheets and line with foil. Cut eggplant into rounds. Top with olive oil and seasonings and mix all around coating both sides. Cook for about 14 minutes on each side, watching closely. They turn into chewy chips- not hard or crunchy. They were great for rolling up like a burrito (see below).

These were pretty good, although a bit bland unless I loaded them up! I would suggest using other spices to spice them up a little. :)

20100829-IMG_1541

We also made yellow tomato salsa and guacamole.

20100829-IMG_1513

20100829-IMG_1472

So sweet it hurts.

20100829-IMG_1481

20100829-IMG_1519

Yellow Tomato Pico De Gallo/Salsa

Inspired by Pioneer Woman.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups yellow tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 cocktail tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • Handful Cilantro, chopped
  • 1/2 lemon juice
  • squirt of lime juice
  • pinch sea salt
  • black pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp olive oil

Directions: Chop all ingredients and mix well.

20100829-IMG_1520

For the guacamole I just smashed 2 avocados, added a big scoop of the above salsa, and lots of sea salt to taste.

And…..mix!

20100829-IMG_1522

20100829-IMG_1530

We had it with black bean chips and chewy eggplant chips…

20100829-IMG_1533

It was a very refreshing and light dinner.

20100829-IMG_1542

I’m off to finish some laundry and then kick up my feet for a couple hours.

I will see you tomorrow morning for a fun Monday Morning breakfast. Clue: It looks sorta like a cupcake but is much healthier and made with fruit. Any guesses?

Callie August 29, 2010

I’m still an eggplant hater! Those chips are making me want to give it another try. You always inspire me to eat my veggies! :)

Hannah August 29, 2010

I love your tee shirt!!! It is so cute!!!
MMM that salsa will be a great way to use up the zillions of cherry tomatoes in our garden!!!

Kristina @ spabettie August 29, 2010

I have one of those shirts, but CANNOT FIND IT ! :( so sad..

I love eggplant, I may have to try this (Jason hates the texture… crunchy may work!!) ;)

Kerri August 29, 2010

Oh my goodness, I love eggplant! Never thought to slice them thin and make “chips” – I’ll have to try this. And your guac and salsa? They look incredible. Yum.

Charity Froggenhall August 29, 2010

Your salsa is so pretty! What a fabulous picture!

I love eggplant, especially grilled. MMMMM!

Meghan@travelwinedine August 29, 2010

Great way to make eggplant! I always have a hard time thinking of ideas for it. Your hike makes me SO excited for my weekend in the country next weekend!

Megan August 29, 2010

LOVING the salsa!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad August 29, 2010

I LOVE eggplant. Unfortunately Stephen can’t stand it. Eggplant parmigiana is an old favorite of mine!

Katelyn August 29, 2010

I will have to try those eggplant chips next time I have one! Such a great idea to fill them with guac and salsa :)

I can’t think of what it could possibly be! Maybe a fruit tart?

Heather August 29, 2010

looks like a fun hike! so beautiful!

Heidi August 29, 2010

Love your pictures! Looks like a great place to hike. My guess for breakfast is an energizing fruity muffin. I’m looking to shake up my breakfast foods, so I cant wait to see what it is.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 29, 2010

Cute shirt! Where’d you find it? And eggplant’s my absolute favorite. I love the min fry form..can’t wait to try them as chips! :D

Gypsy August 29, 2010

my guess is a muffin! :)

Tina August 29, 2010

I wish my husband liked eggplant more. He’ll eat as a mock eggplant parm (probably because I cover his with cheese) but not much else. Those “chips” stuffed look really awesome.

Crystal (Bye Bye Fat Pants) August 29, 2010

Hey Angela, would it be possible for you to tell me where abouts you went hiking? My fiance and I love hiking and I would LOVE to take him there for our anniversary!

Bridget August 29, 2010

Beautiful pictures Ange :)

Looks like a cupcake? Hmmmm……muffins perhaps? I’ll have to wait and see!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 29, 2010

The picture with the sun shining through is gorgeous!
Love the light and summery dinner. The salsa + guac combo looks fantastic.

Hilary August 29, 2010

Quick random question! I love that shirt, but the site says the wicking ones run small. Did you find that to be the case? I don’t want to order a size up and have it be huge!

Danielle August 29, 2010

It’s a burrito-themed week! With a dessert burrito (the apple spice) and an eggplant burrito! I keep thinking about those apple pie burritos – looking forward to the dawn of full-blown apple season here in PA – I think I’ll be making some dessert apple pie burritos! Thanks for the great ideas :)

Chelsey August 29, 2010

What a fun weekend!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 29, 2010

Are you making a tar? Not sure going to have to wait for that one. I do love those pictures of the hike.

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 29, 2010

I have prepared eggplant once and hated it! These might be worth a try. And I love how you used them like little tacos :)

Those little tomatoes may be the cutest things I have ever seen!

RhodeyGirl August 29, 2010

I love how thin you cut the eggplant! It looks awesome!!!!

eatmovelove August 29, 2010

I have given up on eggplant – I kept buying it and throwing it out…tried grilling it and frying it with other vegetables before – but it tasted bland…and bitter almost. Pungent. Meh. Were not meant to be I suppose. Doctored up with cheese and salsa – sure I can eat it…but I can eat anything with those ingredients anyways! :)

Erin August 29, 2010

What a pretty day to be out and about. I’m excited to do some more hiking this fall when it’s not quite as steamy here. ;)

Dana in KC August 29, 2010

Eggplant is wonderful steamed, then sauced. I got the technique from a Chinese cookbook. Tastes stir-fried but without the oil. This id off-topic but I had to share it. I made your chewy gluten free crackers today then promptly dropped some on the floor. Unwilling to throw out my yummy crackers I rinsed the dropped ones and put them back in the oven. OMG they crisped up and taste just like Mary’s gone crackers.

Dana in KC August 29, 2010

*is* not id.

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 29, 2010

Now i”m totally craving guacamole – just might have to go make some!

I love the hiking pics. I would kill for great hiking trails here!

Emily August 29, 2010

Your hike looks like it was so gorgeous! You guys are so lucky to live near such beautiful places to hike, run, ride and swim :)

Emily August 29, 2010

I just have to say that I am really enjoying your blog. I love the recipes you come up wth using the eggplant as little burritos for the guacamole is totally something I would do (and prob will now), though I would get funny looks from my husband for doing it! Your photography is beautiful too! I can’t wait to find out what you make for breakfast!

Rhea (Greek Feaster) August 29, 2010

Love the pictures! Very Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Andrea August 29, 2010

Beautiful pictures- I went on a hike yesterday, it’s just the perfect weather for hiking right now! Love it.

kaila August 29, 2010

you’re making muffins!?!?!?!?!

Jean@RoastedRootsPumpkinSpice August 29, 2010

That salsa looks so refreshing and delicious! Think I’ll be making guacamole tomorrow night. :)

Cara August 29, 2010

Looks like a beautiful hike; where did you go?

Christine August 29, 2010

I find I am hit or miss with eggplant…some time it is bland and has funny texture, other times it is perfectly awesome.

I know my farmers market baby yellow tomatoes have been as sweet as candy–look like your are too! We just keep a bowl of them on the counter for munching on, like you would grapes or something!

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life August 29, 2010

Eggplant is one of those things I wished I liked….maybe I just haven’t had it the ‘right’ way yet??

Looks like a fun day! I’m super excited for Fall weather. Can’t wait to go hiking!

GFree_Miel August 29, 2010

That salsa looks great! There’s something so summer about your salsa. It’s so bright and colorful. You’re right. We do have to appreciate the remaining days of heat before summer turns to autumn which will eventually turn to a cold, cold winter.

What a cute shirt! If I didn’t eat meat and was anything close to being an athlete, I would so have that shirt. Haha!

Wei-Wei August 29, 2010

Your breakfast sounds veeeeeeeery interesting… the fact that you’re telling us now means that it could be overnight? Hmm. I’m not sure. Those eggplant chips sound AMAZING. Could you make them with any other veggies?

sarah August 29, 2010

i only started eating egg plants this year. I had never had egg plants since i was born. I thought my family was allergic to them and mum never bought them before lol.

Page 1 of 212»