In The Food Lab

20100821IMG 0791 thumb1   In The Food Lab

Greetings!

Today turned out to be one of those days, but chickpea salad makes it all better. And dried mangos. Lots and lots of dried mangos.

But first, confession time.

My TJ’s dried mangos are gone.

20100814IMG 6318 thumb1   In The Food Lab

I hid them from myself last Wednesday night when I got home from Chicago and then I couldn’t find them for a full day. I am an old crazy lady who hides her food and forgets where it is, apparently. When I found the beloved hidden mangos on Friday I was so excited I ate the rest of the bag.

And now they are gone…along with a piece of my soul. I tried to blame running 10.5 miles, but let’s be real here, that bag would still be gone run or not. ;)

It’s probably for the better.

20100821IMG 0838 thumb1   In The Food Lab

Summer De-‘lite’ Chickpea Salad

You may recognize this dish from Saturday night’s dinner for six! This chickpea recipe was inspired by the delicious chickpea salad that I consumed mass quantities of at Argo Tea. :) I love when my inspiration comes from my travels.

Ingredients:

• 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 1/2-1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 handful basil, chopped finely
  • 1-2 cloves minced garlic
  • Homemade Balsamic vinaigrette (1/2 tbsp maple syrup, 3 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette, 2 tbsp olive oil, sea salt and pepper to taste)

Directions: In a medium sized bowl combine chickpeas and veggies. In a small bowl combine the balsamic vinaigrette ingredients and mix well. Add the vinaigrette to the veggie/chickpea mixture and stir. Serves up to 6 as a side dish.

20100821IMG 0781 thumb1   In The Food Lab

This chickpea salad is amazing. I had to fight my friend Mary for the leftovers at breakfast on Sunday. ;) It is light, delicious, and ready in a snap. Even the meat & potato eaters loved it.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have to put on my lab coat and goggles and go grab some test tubes in my Food Lab. I have a deadline for a recipe challenge to tend to. I will be telling you all about it shortly! :) I will need your support for this one.

I hope our insurance covers small kitchen explosions because this could get ugly.

Olya August 23, 2010

Oh I didn’t have chickpea salad in…. well, never actually. I have to make this one! It looks so vibrant and colourful. Love your photography.

Camille August 23, 2010

Aww, what a sad day when the mangoes are gone!
I always try and hide food from myself but it never works :)

Lauren M. August 23, 2010

Bahahahaha! So funny about the mangos. Mine are in plain view in my cupboard, but I am doing a good job at portion control. I usually just have one or two pieces in the morning alongside my green monster.

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 23, 2010

I have also hid food from myself — or I ask my husband to hide food for me, but I always end up finding it :)

Once we were cleaning out the basement and J found a bag full of cookies — he said “I hid them so well from you that even I forgot where they were!” :)

Sana August 23, 2010

yes, yes yes!!! I am obsessed with summer chickpea salads!

Chelsea at Striking Balance August 23, 2010

That chickpea salad looks delicious! I will definitely have to try it! Bonus: it looks super easy!

Hiding food from me never works, even if someone else does it for me. I like a challenge- I will not stop until I find it!

Chelsea

Melissa August 23, 2010

That salad looks so good!

I just picked up some of those mangoes while I’m in Chicago for a few days – and may need to get some more tomorrow before I leave. They are so good!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 23, 2010

Recipe developing is one of my favorite things – have fun!

Lisa August 23, 2010

I want to try this salad now. I’m fully in love with chickpeas and am always looking for ways to add them to recipes!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 23, 2010

Oooh…a recipe challenge? Fun! Can’t wait to see what you concoct.

Mary (A Merry Life) August 23, 2010

I always love your chickpea recipes!

Sara August 23, 2010

If you’re up for it, I would definitely be down to do a mail-trade with some Glo bars and a bunch of TJ goodies! ;) I have been dying to try your bars but haven’t made the commitment to buying 10+ of one flavor because I’m ridiculously picky about things (I know, it’s lame) so I’d hate to not like whichever flavor I bought! :P

Kacy August 23, 2010

Ugh, today was totally one of those days. Indeed, chickpeas and dried mango would make it better. I’ll stick with zucchini pasta, ice cream and wine though – since that’s all I’ve got to work with :)

sarah August 23, 2010

looks delicioso!!! Love your summer salads

Amanda @ Sweet and Savory Vegan August 23, 2010

Have you tried checking the bulk bins at Whole Foods for dried mango slices? My boyfriend is obsessed with dried mango and it is usually at the top of our grocery list.

Also, that chickpea salad has me salivating! :-)

Jen August 23, 2010

Oh my WORD! That chickpea salad looks amazing!!!! Oddly enough, I just tried chickpeas for the first time today! Roasted with cumin, pepper, garlic and spicy season-all! I LOVED them and will definitely be making this salad sometime soon!!!!!! Can’t wait to learn what you’re cooking up now!

Tina August 23, 2010

I’ve never exactly hid food from myself, but I will place things I don’t want to devour on a lower shelf in the fridge or behind things in the pantry so they aren’t glaring me in the face. During my bad binging time I did have to have my husband hide certain things from me.

Marisa @ Loser for Life August 23, 2010

Chickpea salad is one of my favorite dishes! I love the idea of your balsamic vinaigrette! I will have to try it!

Wei-Wei August 23, 2010

Oh, gosh. The mysterious disappearance of the dried mangoes… I think we’ll have to get on this case! I’m going to cook chickpeas later tonight to make hummus. Yum!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 23, 2010

Mmmmm, chickpea salad is SO quintessentially summery! Yum!

Nicole @ yuppie yogini August 23, 2010

Excited to hear about the recipe contest….who can beat you??!

Erin August 23, 2010

You just can’t go wrong with chickpeas!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 23, 2010

I love how simple the recipe is.

Cynthia (It All Changes) August 23, 2010

Dried mango doesn’t stand a chance in my house. I only buy it for road trips so I don’t have eat junk at rest stops.

Lauren August 23, 2010

Haha you are so adorable. I can just imagine how lost you must have been not knowing where the mango slices were hidden. I remember feeling like this when my mom would hide our Easter candy every year. I would get SOOO excited to finally see it on Easter morning, that I usually ended up eating it all before church and then would be miserably ill for the rest of the day. ;) Next time I am at TJ’s I’ll try to remember to snag a bag for you! ;)

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward August 23, 2010

Your comment about the insurance made me crack up! Good luck in the kitchen :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 23, 2010

hahaha I love the TJ’s mango story! That’s hilarious :)

Cara August 23, 2010

Good luck you crazy food scientist you!

Nour August 23, 2010

I’ve never made chickpea salad before, although I’ve grabbed it on the go a few times! I think I’m going to have to be inspired by your recipe and make some for lunch tomorrow!

As for the mangoes, you can get those very same ones at the Bulk Barn (at least in my area you can) – they are all natural and they are generally in the bin right next to the “sulphured and sweetened” mangoes.

Hannah August 23, 2010

The Salad looks fantastic!!! thanks so much for sharing all your recipes

meghan August 23, 2010

i work right across from a trader joe’s and i live right across from one. i shop there all the time. i never discovered their mangoes until you told us about them. i’ve gone through 3 bags already angela!!! what have you done to me?? lol. best things ever.

kari August 23, 2010

hi Angela, the chickpea salad will be my next project to make because i love those chickpeas;-) i wanted to tell you that i made the lentil rice casserole and it was so delicious! it was very easy to put together. have a fun evening!

Katelyn August 23, 2010

I can’t wait to hear about your recipe challenge!! Good luck on whatever it is :)
The chickpea salad looks delish, I’ll be trying something like it later this week for sure!

MarathonVal August 23, 2010

1) I told you at Trader Joe’s that I wasn’t going to buy any because I have no willpower around those dried pieces of glorious mango… now you know what I mean ;)
2) 1.5 c. of chickpeas would NEVER serve 6 people in my household!! I have been known to eat 2 cans of chickpeas on my own, in one sitting.

Ok, so maybe portion control isn’t my forte, but there are worse things to eat too much of then dried mangos and chickpeas :)

The Wife of a Dairyman August 23, 2010

Gosh, I’m going to try that chick pea salad. It looks so good. So does your homemade dressing…yum!

Ana August 23, 2010

I love mangoes too!! Grew up eating then juicy and ripe, right from the tree back in Brazil!
Those TJ’s dried mangoes are so delicious!
I will trade you some mangoes for a glow bar Angela,want to do that??
I would be more than happy to send you some mangoes, just let me know!
Ana

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 23, 2010

i bet that salad is amazing, but all i could think when i was reading this is “boy, i freaking love red onions”…is that weird? i love them!

Chelsey August 23, 2010

That looks really good – I need to make balsamic with maple syrup! I’m sure it holds everything together better!

Brittany August 23, 2010

I just polished off a package of TJ’s dried mango this week as well – and I didn’t run 10.5 miles! It’s ridiculously addicting.

It looks as though this chickpea salad might be addicting as well – so pretty!

Liza (Health Nutting) August 23, 2010

I LOVE those TJ’s mangos too :0) so addicting!

Page 1 of 212»