Blogfeast

I deemed this conference should be called Blogfeast because of all the amazing food I have been eating! :)

The Healthy Living Summit conference today was a great time. Major props to all of the organizers, speakers, and attendees. Everything was so well organized and well done. I left inspired by so many amazing women! Also a big thank you to Amazing Grass who sponsored a portion of my trip to the conference. Keep your eyes peeled for a special promo code on Amazing Grass and Glo Bars coming up soon!

Morning group shot:

20100814-IMG_6248

20100814-IMG_6249

20100814-IMG_6250

Sabrina, is basically a domestic goddess.

20100814-IMG_6253

20100814-IMG_6254

I love Anne P’s t-shirt!

20100814-IMG_6255

The line-up for lunch was HUGE, so we passed the time by finding out if our forearm was really equal to the size of our foot.

20100814-IMG_6258

I looked at my long forearm and said no way. I was wrong! ;)

Getting closer…mmmmmm. So close yet so far away.

20100814-IMG_6259

20100814-IMG_6260

20100814-IMG_6261

20100814-IMG_6262

I piled my plate as high as humanly possible. Just when I thought I couldn’t fit anymore food on it, I added another scoop of the chickpea salad. lol.

20100814-IMG_6266

Dear me.

20100814-IMG_6264

I had roasted veggies, quinoa salad, chickpea salad, fruit salad, salad-salad (lol)…all mixed together and truly an epic lunch.

20100814-IMG_6267

I ate every bite and then went back and got more chickpeas.

20100814-IMG_6269

20100814-IMG_6270

After lunch I met up with Eric and we went out for lunch (for him!) and then we explored the city. He got a wrap at Freshii and he loved it.

I had an apple for dessert!

20100814-IMG_6271 20100814-IMG_6272

Fun fact when I travel: You will rarely ever see me without food in my purse! I always have a Glo Bar and apple as emergency stash.

20100814-IMG_6280

20100814-IMG_6281 20100814-IMG_6284

20100814-IMG_6293

20100814-IMG_6305

20100814-IMG_6306

The sessions at the conference were so well done. I hear that they will be posting the videos of all the sessions online and PowerPoint, so I will link to it when I see it on their website. I took a ton of notes to share with you and I just read some over and they make NO SENSE at all. Note fail. ;)

20100814-IMG_6307

My favourite line of the entire conference said by Rebecca in the sports nutrition session (LOVED her!!!!!)

20100814-IMG_6330

I love that quote. I should add it to my quotes page because it really means a lot to me. She works with a lot of athletes suffering from eating disorders and her talk was just so moving.

Canadian Bloggers!! All from Toronto. :)

20100814-IMG_6310

Miranda, Callie, Sarah, Susan. So fun.

I also promised to show you the lovely foodie goodies I bought yesterday!

First up, Trader Joe’s! My first time setting foot in the store and it did not disappoint. :)

20100814-IMG_6315

I was told I must buy this sunflower seed butter! I was hesitant because I tried making it before and it was so bitter, but this one has a bit of sugar in it. ;) I knew I forgot something!

20100814-IMG_6316

This chocolate rocks my world.

20100814-IMG_6317

Oh dear me. Seriously. I can’t.

20100814-IMG_6318

I was told these mangos were the best because not only are they dried mangos, but they are chewy and not too tough. They were quite possibly the best dried fruit I have ever had in my life. I hid the bags.

Carrot ginger bran muffins.

20100814-IMG_6321

Eric didn’t care for this muffin, but I thought it was good. He thought it was too dense.

I loved the muffin ‘lip’ here!

20100814-IMG_6326

I also was given vegan macaroons from Gina and Val! I am saving them for a special moment. ;)

20100814-IMG_6328

And finally, the chocolate I purchased at Vosges!

20100814-IMG_6329

Tonight I organized a meet-up at Karyn’s on Green. We have the upstairs lounge booked off. I can’t wait for more delicious food (I think this is all I have been saying since in Chicago!!!) and new friends. My goal tonight is to get to bed at a reasonable hour and stop acting like I am 19 again. ;) Have a great night!

1 Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle August 14, 2010

Looks like you are having a great time!!! I love your gray shirt and leggings outfit!!!!!

2 Joslyn @ missfitbliss.com August 14, 2010

I’m with Salah – cute outfit! Enjoy Chicago it’s such a great city!

3 Nicole - yuppieyogini August 14, 2010

Oh no…not TJs sunbutter. That stuff is dangerous! Consider yourself warned.

4 Gail August 15, 2010

When I saw that picture I thought to myself “I’ve never heard of sunflower butter. I bet that’s good!” I’m going to have to look for it at the store.

5 Lauren M. August 14, 2010

I work at Trader Joes in southern california and I always enjoy seeing different products. The east and west coast stores don’t always carry the same things. I’ve had all of those, but those muffins are new to me. We have some similar muffins but I would love to try that flavor. Good buys!!

6 Cynthia (It All Changes) August 14, 2010

I love all the vegan food options they had. That would have been my plate.

I can’t wait to hear what you learned but so fun to see that quote. That is something we all need to learn :-)

7 AngelaOSG August 14, 2010

Yup I will be talking about the sessions soon! :) It will be fun to share what I learned and have some good discussions on the blog.

8 Ella @ The Princess and the P August 14, 2010

Anne’s shirt is hilarious! And that muffin looks so good… glad I’m on my way to dinner otherwise I might have to go bake some.. mmm!!

9 Beth @ Will Run for Books August 14, 2010

Oh my gosh my picture is in your blog!!! I feel so famous! (and with Anne to boot!)

And you found Watertower! Hooray!

If you want to get together before you guys leave, let me know! :-D

10 AngelaOSG August 14, 2010

yes for sure…tweet me about tonight! :)

11 Beth @ Will Run for Books August 14, 2010

Tweeted! I need more than 140 characters right now so I’m posting here too. Hopefully we can get together next week before you go – lunch at Argo Tea, perhaps?

Also I just had the Glo Bar – AMAZING. How about you send me glo bars, I send you Trader Joe’s…sound like a deal? ;-)

12 AngelaOSG August 15, 2010

That sounds awesome! Hopefully we can work it out. So glad you enjoyed the Glo Bar :) Im def. up for a TJ + Glo bar trade, lol.

13 The Wife of a Dairyman August 14, 2010

Mmmmm…everything looks so good! Looking forward to hearing bout the classes you attended:)

14 Misti August 14, 2010

It’s been a few months but since I am done hiking the Appalachian Trail, it’s time to get back into eating well….so back to your blog! It’s really hard to pull myselfaway from eating anything and everything and having no guilt since I was hiking 10 hour a day.

Green monster’s here I come!

15 Daniel August 14, 2010

Wow, videos and powerpoints on the site? I’m really looking forward to whenever they post that and you link that, it’s very nice for those of us who didn’t get to go.

Looks like the food spread is amazing – really glad you got to enjoy a lot of it! And I just love how dried mango is chewy and delicious.

16 Nancy August 14, 2010

I’m glad everyone is having so much fuuuuuuun! I’m living vicariously through everyone’s blogs at HLS! I may have to go next year ;)

17 Whitney August 14, 2010

It looks like you guys are having so much fun!

18 Cynthia August 14, 2010

Absolutely LOVE that quote. I am going to add it among my favorites!

Also, I had no idea there was sunflower seed butter. I can’t have any kind of nuts (or nut butter right now), but I can have seeds. Maybe I should make a trip to Trader Joe’s and check that out. :)

19 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 14, 2010

That is too funny about the foot/forearm thing! :-)

20 Bridget August 14, 2010

The last time I bought sunflower seed butter it was gone in a week! That stuff is dangerous!

21 AngelaOSG August 14, 2010

UH OHHHHH hehe. That will so be me

22 Heidi August 14, 2010

If you think the dried mango is good, the chili spiced dried mango slices are OFF THE HOOK! They’re oddly delicious and take a bit to get used to, but I’m addicted!! They are so delish :)

23 Lindsay August 14, 2010

That quote kinda sucker-punched me…I need to post that on my mirror. Thank you for sharing that!

24 Laura (Starloz) August 14, 2010

I cant believe how beautiful Chicago is. Fantastic photographs

25 Kennedy August 14, 2010

Looks like you’re having a fabulous time!! I’m excited to see video/PowerPoint from HLS… like so many others I’m living vicariously through you! And how awesome that you’ve found other Toronto bloggers there.

26 janna @ janna's keeping it real August 14, 2010

WOW! i’m stoked to see the video/powerpoints! how nice that those will be shared!

You are just adorable. Love the scarf! =0)

27 Camille August 14, 2010

That’s quite the haul you have there!
I’m loving all the updates from HLS! Keep them coming!

28 Jessica August 14, 2010

TAKE ME TO TRADER JOE’S NOWWWW!!

I adore adore adore and almost always have to have their dried mangoes, sunflower seed butter and dark chocolate stocked :) Plus, those everything crackers are my faaave!

29 Bethany @ More Fruit Please August 14, 2010

I just checked the forearm-to-foot thing… GASP!!! My forearm looks WAY bigger, but surprisingly, it’s the same size as my foot. P.S. LOVE the scarf!!

30 Laurie August 14, 2010

Oh, come on! I love that you are acting like you are 19.
Great pictures.

31 Maya August 14, 2010

Fun fact about me…I almost always have food in my purse! Hope you have a great dinner tonight!

32 Shanna August 14, 2010

I have had all those Trader Joes eats at one time! So glad you get to experience what I think is the best grocery store =)

33 Gypsy August 14, 2010

I had a funny vision of everyone at all the tables taking a picture of their plates before eating!!

I love the Trader Joes high fiber muffins – they usually have 2 varieties – blueberry and apple cranberry – so good and only 80 cals each :)

34 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) August 14, 2010

I love Chicago! Looks like a BLAST! My band played their a few years back. I wish we had Trader Joe’s in Canada. I live in Vancouver…no such luck:( At least we have a Whole Foods now:)

35 Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) August 14, 2010

Trust me, as a Texan, my mind was BLOWN the moment I stepped into TJ’s. The Blueberry Bran muffins are really good too. I REALLY want to try their new spiced apples. Oh! You should snag their mango chutney! It’s awwwwesome.

36 kari August 14, 2010

Hello Angela, its awesome you are having fun and eating delicious meals in that beautiful city of Chicago! you look so beautiful and always glowing. i made the pumpkin oatmeal pie cookies tonight and they taste so delicious! Im enjoying cooking some of your recipes posted in your blog! Have a safe and memorable time in Chicago.

37 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 14, 2010

Seriously – TJ’s is just the most amazing place – evahhh. I wish mine were bigger…it’s about the size of a shoe box but I’m grateful for all the goodies they cram in there!! (No 2 buck chuck though!) I LOVE that quote though. LOVE it!!

38 Miranda @ MirandasJeans August 14, 2010

OMG lol what am I doing in the last picture of us Toronto bloggers?! I look like I’m puffing out my chest lol.

39 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 14, 2010

Vegan macaroons sound really good. You will have to let us know how they were. I do the same thing about carrying emergency snacks, it’s a must.

40 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 15, 2010

I LOVE TJ’s. I’m a devot Trader Joe-er haha. The sunflower seed butter is really great on a tortilla rolled up with a banana. Its a very easy breakfast.

41 Lin August 15, 2010

Haha I’m the crazy place setting girl who is in the pic with Sabrina. I’m glad I got to meet you briefly at the cocktail party on Friday! I finally tried a glow bar today and it’s amazzzing!!!! I am addicted and want more!

42 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 15, 2010

Aren’t the mango slices amazing?!!?? AND the SSB??

Silly, Eric! The best part about those muffins are that they are dense :).

43 JL Goes Vegan August 15, 2010

I love that quote too. It’s taken me many (many) years to come to that same conclusion. Skinny is NOT my goal. Living a long, healthy life is.

Don’t you LOVE TJ’s?! The sunlfower seed butter is one of my staples ;)

44 Julia August 15, 2010

That forearm-foot-thing is creepy….. ;-)

You’re not the only one having emergency snacks with you on a trip. I always – no matter where I go – have at least an apple with me. When I go on vacation I even take 2 or 3 boxes of cereal bars with me. I mean, you never know if you can get cereal bars in a foreign country – I don’t wanna take any risks in that department :-D

45 Emily @ Run Emily Run August 15, 2010

Those are the best mangoes for sure. I wish TJ’s carried unsweetened and unsulfered dried papaya too. Both are like candy to me!

46 Kelly August 15, 2010

Looks like you girls (and Eric!) are really having a lot of fun, I wish I was there! Don’t you wish you could take Trader Joes back with you…I LOVE that place so much. Interestingly though I am not a fan of their mango, it has some weird taste to me- I always buy mine at Whole Foods but I want to love it because OF COURSE it’s cheaper haha. Boo.

47 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 15, 2010

I’m not really a fan of sunflower seed butter with sweet things,but it tastes amazing if you mix it with soy sauce and lime juice and use that as a stir fry sauce! And I’m sure you’ll come up with some other great uses for it. ;)

48 Kristy August 15, 2010

Looks like you had a great time, that plate of food looked delicious!!! I love Trader Joe’s, the mango slices are delicious, I definitely don’t get there enough! ;)

49 amy August 15, 2010

I love that quote by Rebecca. gosh, I would have loved to have listened to her speak. Thats the mantra I’ve been focusing on through my struggles. I’m going to post that somewhere I can see it everyday.

50 Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 15, 2010

So much fun! I love all the tasty looking food. I’d say a dense muffin is better than than a cakey one! The lip makes it all the better.

51 eat move love August 15, 2010

I had no idea you were behind the GLO bars! Duh! ;)

I know you said you moved from the city to a smaller place – how do you find that? Are what is your job/profession??

52 Maria runningcupcake August 15, 2010

Wow the sunflower seed butter sounds amazing- I love sunflower seeds- love it when they are in nice seedy bread. You seem to have a massive range of things in the US that we dont get here in the UK.
Ah well, will have to load up my suitcase next time I travel!

53 Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 15, 2010

I always find it amazing just how ravenous I get when I attend conferences. I’m not sure if it’s all the sitting and listening and networking and walking, or if it’s that they always have amazing spreads and I want to eat it all! The food at HLS, not surprisingly, looks delicious!

54 Amber K August 15, 2010

My appetite is cranked up for all of the sitting around that occurs in things like that. I have no idea why, but at least the food at the HLS looks AMAZING! And healthy!

55 Laurie August 15, 2010

Trader Joe’s = HEAVEN! And I don’t have one either. It’s like playtime when I get to go in. My boyfriend gives me a time limit, haha! He knows I could live in there. Anyhoo, I just wanted to say that you are such an adorable person and I really appreciate your honesty and postitive personality in the blogsphere! :) Have fun at HLS!

56 Gail August 15, 2010

I miss Chicago! My sister used to live there and I’d visit her. When she said she was moving back, I told her “Where am I going to go on vacation now?” I love that city! Have fun!

57 brianne http://beautythroughbalance.wordpress.com August 15, 2010

1) your outfit in the picture with the apple is adorable! 2) That quote made my day. That is exactly what I have been trying to do in my life right now so seeing it in quote form was perfect. and 3) I am going to have to get those mango slices immediately! I love mangos and your description of them was enough to make me crave them for the rest of the day haha. How did the sunflower butter taste?

58 Carrie S. August 15, 2010

Angela, it was lovely to meet you this morning! On the train ride home I did think of a few downtown restaurants that I really like if you’re looking for a few places to round out your Chicago dining experiences: Ben Pao (good Chinese food, great drinks, schwanky atmosphere); Rock Bottom (good beer and soft pretzel appetizers); Sweetwater (really close to the hotel, good salads and pretzel apps (I really like pretzels:)), and if Eric’s jonesing for steak at any point, the Kinzie Chop House is great (though I’m not sure how they would be w/ vegan or veg options). Enjoy the rest of your stay (and your upcoming deep-dish experience)!

59 holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 15, 2010

LOL at “notes fail” — it made me think of the notes I took in college. Even when the material was still fresh in my mind I had no idea what I was writing! haha.

Great lunch — I love when everything can be mixed together into one big feast.

60 Hillary August 15, 2010

That chocolate is some of my favorite — let me know if you ever want more, I’d be happy to send some to you :)

61 Amy Botta August 15, 2010

Have you tried the dried mango slices at the bulk barn? They have ones that have no sugar in them and are just mango and they totally rock my world!

62 suki August 16, 2010

The forearm/foot ratio random fact is hilarious, isn’t it? :)

63 RhodeyGirl August 16, 2010

You’re SO gorgeous!

It was so nice to meet you in person! I hope to see you again soon!!

Thanks for the super sweet shout out!

64 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 16, 2010

Way to represent Canada ladies!