Whirlwind Fun

Hello!

We are in LOVE with Chicago!

What a wonderful, beautiful, historic, lively, and fun city.There is so much to do here! We are going to have a lot of fun, I can tell already.

First things first, we almost missed our flight out of Buffalo because there was a long wait at the border crossing.

IMG 1913 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

We were still IN our car driving at 11:25am and our flight left at 12:05!

We crunched on green pepper slices to beat the stress. ;)

IMG 1915 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

It should also be noted that the border officer was highly amused when I told him that I was going to a food blogger conference. He was just tickled pink, he was.

Luckily, we sped through check-in and security check and got there with 5 minutes to spare. Normally we are 2 hours early for flights out of Toronto, so this was a pleasant surprise to get through so quickly.

I packed us a lunch for the flight.

Mine is below (and we shared the veggies):

IMG 1918 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

My lunch contained: A hummus + tomato paste sandwich on Ezekiel bread, chopped veggies, peanut butter, and peanuts.

IMG 1919 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

Mmmm.

IMG 1921 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

CUPCAKE FAIL.

IMG 1917 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

Eric shed a single tear. No, he bawled.

We arrived at our hotel around 1:30pm. It is situated in downtown Chicago right near lakeshore. You couldn’t have a better location. The hotel is very beautiful and historic.

IMG 0012 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

IMG 1940 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

We ate Glo Bars for fuel upon arrival!

IMG 1944 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

Then we met up with Eric’s Irish uncle Charlie! He is the BEST. So nice, so funny, and gosh I can’t get enough of Irish accents. I wish I had one myself.

IMG 1939 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

He has a very exciting career- he does catering for tons of huge events like the OLYMPICS! He is flown all over the world for the events that he caters. I tried to convince him that he needed a vegan planner on his team after he told me what a pain in his butt it is for him to find good vegan recipes. I told him about my blog and he is really excited to check out some recipes.

Eric and I spent the day walking around the city! We always say the best way to get to know a city is to just travel by foot.

IMG 0021 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

IMG 0024 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

IMG 0026 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

IMG 0027 thumb   Whirlwind Fun IMG 0028 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

IMG 0031 thumb   Whirlwind Fun IMG 0067 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

Best. carrot. juice. ever.

IMG 0037 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

I surprised Eric by taking him to Epic Burger!

IMG 0076 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

They are an all organic burger shop.

I got the Portobello mushroom burger (without sauce or cheese) and it was delicious.

IMG 0086 thumb1   Whirlwind Fun

Eric had the Epic burger and he loved it.

IMG 0088 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

The restaurant has a big flatscreen with Tweetdeck on it, and I saw ‘ohsheglows’ mentioned twice on the screen (middle secton if you look closely) when we walked in. It was so random and funny.

IMG 0093 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

Of course I had to Tweet something.

IMG 0104 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

At the end of the night a bunch of us went to a restaurant bar called the Artist’s Cafe. Eric and I got a beer.

IMG 1945 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

IMG 1946 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

We had a great time getting to know one another.

IMG 1949 thumb   Whirlwind Fun

It was a great day! I’ve got a 7am run planned tomorrow morning so I best get myself to bed. :)

Nicole @ yuppieyogini August 12, 2010

Wow…you really know how to prepare for a flight. I’m going to Seattle, WA in a few weeks and need to take notes!

Jen August 13, 2010

So weird…. I was at a running store in a suburb of Chicago and a girl came in that looked like you. That is SO strange you happen to be in Chicago!

Ashley August 13, 2010

Hi lovely lady!!!! Wish I was there!!!! xo Looks like so much fun so far!!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 13, 2010

Eric’s Epic Burger looked nothing less than…epic. Currently googling to see if they have other restaurants…fingers crossed.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 13, 2010

Woww! Amazed that you made the flight!! and that you packed so well…okay, not amazed at that…but it does look delicious! Glad you are having such a great time in Chicago!

Lisa (BBB) August 13, 2010

oooh what a great day! Have fun!

Artemis August 13, 2010

Southwest still serves peanuts on their flights? That surprises me.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 13, 2010

I stayed at the exact SAME hotel when I visited Chicago this year! It’s such a great location for walking around the city!!

Hope you have a great time! :D

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 13, 2010

So many beautiful bloggies!! I so wish I could be there to meet you all. I think I would just die of awesomeness overload.

A huge tweetdeck?!?! That’s probably the greatest thing I’ve ever seen!! You’re so famous. ;)

Wei-Wei August 13, 2010

That tweeting thing is EPIC! And the burgers are epic too. :D I’m glad you got there safely!

Wei-Wei

stevie August 13, 2010

if you have the time visit ootra in naperville, amazing store. the owner is the sweetest most inspirational person i know, tell her stevie sent you. worth it. xo

Brittney August 13, 2010

LOL! That’s me on the Twitter Tweetdeck below you! Epic Burger started following me and I asked if that was a hint that they wanted me to come visit them! So funny! Looks like you’re having a blast and hope to meet you and eat at least one Glo Bar this weekend!

Tina August 13, 2010

Walking around cities definitely is the best way to explore them. One of my favorite things to do while traveling. And how funny that the restaurant has a TweetDeck! Very up and coming of them. Haha!

Corey - The Runner's Cookie August 13, 2010

Epic Burger looks pretty epic! I wonder if they have any northern locations I could try. Great pics of Chicago – have fun!

JL Goes Vegan August 13, 2010

So great to “attend” HLS through your blog! Enjoy Chicago!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 13, 2010

My husband would be in absolute heaven at Epic Burger.

Tracey August 13, 2010

I absolutely love Chicago! Enjoy the city, you are going to have so much fun!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 13, 2010

How fun, glad you made your flight. Going to the airport and things running smoothly always makes me nervous.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 13, 2010

The tweet dock is cool, i’ve never seen something like that!

Emily @ Run Emily Run August 13, 2010

Gosh, that Tweetdeck is such a good idea. And Chicago is one of the best walking cities I’ve been to! Enjoy it. I miss being able to hop in the car and take weekend trips there.

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly August 13, 2010

Mmmm, mushroom burger! :-)

Any vegans here, I have a question: How comfortable are you eating out at restaurants? This might sound really wacky, but I’m so curious! I’m just vegetarian right now… Things like fried onions, etc, knowing that they’ve used oil instead of butter, or ensuring there’s no dairy put into things. I feel like I’d always be concerned, and that’s no fun. Any thoughts?

Bree August 13, 2010

How the heck did you get all that food past security?? lol

chelsey August 13, 2010

note to self: when flying, follow angela’s cues and pack a lunch.

I am so glad you love Chicago – were you not sweltering walking around all afternoon? It was HOT here yesterday. I barely stepped foot outside. Too humid for my liking! I’ve never been to Epic Burger – guess I should get on that!

Have so much fun here my dear!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 13, 2010

That burger looks good. I’d definitely have to take my husband there if we were in Chicago. He’s like a burger connoisseur.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 13, 2010

Whoa that’s cool that Epic Burger has a tweetdeck screen!

I love Chicago. So beautiful!

jess August 13, 2010

I was in Chicago for Lolla last week and we went here: http://www.vegguide.org/entry/10280 . It’s awesome, and worth a visit. It’s in a gym, but you just walk right into the cafe, and it’s full of vegan food with some delicious gluten-fee options as well. I had a waffle and some dehydrated crackers with nut cheese…and the best soy latte.

: : Christine : : August 13, 2010

Living vicariously through you. Keep those pics coming!!

jess August 13, 2010

Also, and I can’t believe that I forgot to mention this, you HAVE to take a small subway ride out to the Chicago Diner for the best vegan diner food of all time, I think your husband will love it too. I had a vegan reuben with flash greens (ginger+kale=the best thing ever) and my boyfriend had a vegan gyro with sweet potato fries, and we both had cookie dough milkshakes made with Temptation frozen dessert. It was one of the best meals I’ve ever had. It’s within walking distance of Wrigley Field too, and we did the tour there which was excellent.

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerow August 13, 2010

I love how it is all women and then Eric :)

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerow August 13, 2010

I agree with the Chicago Diner comment above. Not exactly “whole foods” but great vegan fare. I wrote a blog entry about it several weeks ago:

Nicole Y. August 13, 2010

Hi Ange!
I hope you have an amazing time in Chicago!!! I wish I were able to come to the HLS, but I can’t! I’m actually MOVING TO CHICAGO at the end of this month to finish art school and I cannot wait!!! It’s a brilliant city! Can’t wait to see your updates!

~Nicole~

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 13, 2010

Great lunch for the plane. It’s always a good idea to think and plan ahead because airplane food tends to suck! LOL

I am sure you guys are going to have such a great time…enjoy!!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 13, 2010

Epic burger, lol. That is a cool name!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 13, 2010

That burger place looks awesome — what makes them “epic”? Just that they are organic?

Have a great time in Chicago! I can’t wait to attend next year!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 13, 2010

Whew! I’m glad you made your life. I would be a nervous wreck!

Veronique @ Hooked on Health August 13, 2010

Chicago looks like a wonderful place! I always wanted to check out the Windy City. Have tons of fun! If I ever go, I MUST check out Epic Burger. That is a very clever name for a burger joint :P

The Wife of a Dairyman August 13, 2010

Gosh it’s been almost 7 years since I’ve flown anywhere and I’ll be flying to Chicago in a couple of weeks for a convention so it’s good to know you can pack your own lunch and carry it on the plane. Not sure what the do’s and donts are these days:) Have a fun time!

Jenn @ So Very Fit August 13, 2010

It sounds like you’re already having such a blast, and it’s barely begun!

And PS, a smooshed cupcake is still a delicious cupcake, I’m sure. :)

OSGMOM August 13, 2010

So happy to hear and see that you are having a Blast in the Windy city! I can tell by the smile on Eric’s face that he really, really likes his Uncle Charlie. How interesting that Uncle Charlie is a big time caterer who needs a Vegan connection ;) Loved that as you walked in to Epic Burger you saw yourself mentioned on the tweetdeck! Looking forward to seeing more photos of this beautiful city. Chicago is on your Mama’s Bucketlist as places to visit — ha ha!

emily August 13, 2010

Have a great time at HLS! If you are ever down in Buffalo for a longer time (not stuck in you car, hopefully!) I would love to meet you.

Page 1 of 212»