Whirlwind Fun

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 12, 2010

Hello!

We are in LOVE with Chicago!

What a wonderful, beautiful, historic, lively, and fun city.There is so much to do here! We are going to have a lot of fun, I can tell already.

First things first, we almost missed our flight out of Buffalo because there was a long wait at the border crossing.

IMG_1913

We were still IN our car driving at 11:25am and our flight left at 12:05!

We crunched on green pepper slices to beat the stress. ;)

IMG_1915

It should also be noted that the border officer was highly amused when I told him that I was going to a food blogger conference. He was just tickled pink, he was.

Luckily, we sped through check-in and security check and got there with 5 minutes to spare. Normally we are 2 hours early for flights out of Toronto, so this was a pleasant surprise to get through so quickly.

I packed us a lunch for the flight.

Mine is below (and we shared the veggies):

IMG_1918

My lunch contained: A hummus + tomato paste sandwich on Ezekiel bread, chopped veggies, peanut butter, and peanuts.

IMG_1919

Mmmm.

IMG_1921

CUPCAKE FAIL.

IMG_1917

Eric shed a single tear. No, he bawled.

We arrived at our hotel around 1:30pm. It is situated in downtown Chicago right near lakeshore. You couldn’t have a better location. The hotel is very beautiful and historic.

IMG_0012

IMG_1940

We ate Glo Bars for fuel upon arrival!

IMG_1944

Then we met up with Eric’s Irish uncle Charlie! He is the BEST. So nice, so funny, and gosh I can’t get enough of Irish accents. I wish I had one myself.

IMG_1939

He has a very exciting career- he does catering for tons of huge events like the OLYMPICS! He is flown all over the world for the events that he caters. I tried to convince him that he needed a vegan planner on his team after he told me what a pain in his butt it is for him to find good vegan recipes. I told him about my blog and he is really excited to check out some recipes.

Eric and I spent the day walking around the city! We always say the best way to get to know a city is to just travel by foot.

IMG_0021

IMG_0024

IMG_0026

IMG_0027 IMG_0028

IMG_0031 IMG_0067

Best. carrot. juice. ever.

IMG_0037

I surprised Eric by taking him to Epic Burger!

IMG_0076

They are an all organic burger shop.

I got the Portobello mushroom burger (without sauce or cheese) and it was delicious.

IMG_0086

Eric had the Epic burger and he loved it.

IMG_0088

The restaurant has a big flatscreen with Tweetdeck on it, and I saw ‘ohsheglows’ mentioned twice on the screen (middle secton if you look closely) when we walked in. It was so random and funny.

IMG_0093

Of course I had to Tweet something.

IMG_0104

At the end of the night a bunch of us went to a restaurant bar called the Artist’s Cafe. Eric and I got a beer.

IMG_1945

IMG_1946

We had a great time getting to know one another.

IMG_1949

It was a great day! I’ve got a 7am run planned tomorrow morning so I best get myself to bed. :)

Nicole @ yuppieyogini August 12, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Wow…you really know how to prepare for a flight. I’m going to Seattle, WA in a few weeks and need to take notes!

Jen August 13, 2010 at 12:13 am

So weird…. I was at a running store in a suburb of Chicago and a girl came in that looked like you. That is SO strange you happen to be in Chicago!

Ashley August 13, 2010 at 12:14 am

Hi lovely lady!!!! Wish I was there!!!! xo Looks like so much fun so far!!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 13, 2010 at 12:34 am

Eric’s Epic Burger looked nothing less than…epic. Currently googling to see if they have other restaurants…fingers crossed.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 13, 2010 at 12:58 am

Woww! Amazed that you made the flight!! and that you packed so well…okay, not amazed at that…but it does look delicious! Glad you are having such a great time in Chicago!

Lisa (BBB) August 13, 2010 at 1:13 am

oooh what a great day! Have fun!

Artemis August 13, 2010 at 1:16 am

Southwest still serves peanuts on their flights? That surprises me.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 13, 2010 at 1:55 am

I stayed at the exact SAME hotel when I visited Chicago this year! It’s such a great location for walking around the city!!

Hope you have a great time! :D

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 13, 2010 at 2:48 am

So many beautiful bloggies!! I so wish I could be there to meet you all. I think I would just die of awesomeness overload.

A huge tweetdeck?!?! That’s probably the greatest thing I’ve ever seen!! You’re so famous. ;)

Wei-Wei August 13, 2010 at 3:22 am

That tweeting thing is EPIC! And the burgers are epic too. :D I’m glad you got there safely!

Wei-Wei

stevie August 13, 2010 at 3:39 am

if you have the time visit ootra in naperville, amazing store. the owner is the sweetest most inspirational person i know, tell her stevie sent you. worth it. xo

Brittney August 13, 2010 at 4:48 am

LOL! That’s me on the Twitter Tweetdeck below you! Epic Burger started following me and I asked if that was a hint that they wanted me to come visit them! So funny! Looks like you’re having a blast and hope to meet you and eat at least one Glo Bar this weekend!

Tina August 13, 2010 at 5:03 am

Walking around cities definitely is the best way to explore them. One of my favorite things to do while traveling. And how funny that the restaurant has a TweetDeck! Very up and coming of them. Haha!

Corey - The Runner's Cookie August 13, 2010 at 5:14 am

Epic Burger looks pretty epic! I wonder if they have any northern locations I could try. Great pics of Chicago – have fun!

JL Goes Vegan August 13, 2010 at 5:35 am

So great to “attend” HLS through your blog! Enjoy Chicago!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 13, 2010 at 5:35 am

My husband would be in absolute heaven at Epic Burger.

Tracey August 13, 2010 at 5:54 am

I absolutely love Chicago! Enjoy the city, you are going to have so much fun!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 13, 2010 at 6:16 am

How fun, glad you made your flight. Going to the airport and things running smoothly always makes me nervous.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 13, 2010 at 6:39 am

The tweet dock is cool, i’ve never seen something like that!

Emily @ Run Emily Run August 13, 2010 at 6:41 am

Gosh, that Tweetdeck is such a good idea. And Chicago is one of the best walking cities I’ve been to! Enjoy it. I miss being able to hop in the car and take weekend trips there.

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly August 13, 2010 at 6:43 am

Mmmm, mushroom burger! :-)

Any vegans here, I have a question: How comfortable are you eating out at restaurants? This might sound really wacky, but I’m so curious! I’m just vegetarian right now… Things like fried onions, etc, knowing that they’ve used oil instead of butter, or ensuring there’s no dairy put into things. I feel like I’d always be concerned, and that’s no fun. Any thoughts?

Bree August 13, 2010 at 6:50 am

How the heck did you get all that food past security?? lol

chelsey August 13, 2010 at 6:55 am

note to self: when flying, follow angela’s cues and pack a lunch.

I am so glad you love Chicago – were you not sweltering walking around all afternoon? It was HOT here yesterday. I barely stepped foot outside. Too humid for my liking! I’ve never been to Epic Burger – guess I should get on that!

Have so much fun here my dear!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 13, 2010 at 7:06 am

That burger looks good. I’d definitely have to take my husband there if we were in Chicago. He’s like a burger connoisseur.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 13, 2010 at 7:18 am

Whoa that’s cool that Epic Burger has a tweetdeck screen!

I love Chicago. So beautiful!

jess August 13, 2010 at 7:36 am

I was in Chicago for Lolla last week and we went here: http://www.vegguide.org/entry/10280 . It’s awesome, and worth a visit. It’s in a gym, but you just walk right into the cafe, and it’s full of vegan food with some delicious gluten-fee options as well. I had a waffle and some dehydrated crackers with nut cheese…and the best soy latte.

: : Christine : : August 13, 2010 at 7:41 am

Living vicariously through you. Keep those pics coming!!

jess August 13, 2010 at 7:46 am

Also, and I can’t believe that I forgot to mention this, you HAVE to take a small subway ride out to the Chicago Diner for the best vegan diner food of all time, I think your husband will love it too. I had a vegan reuben with flash greens (ginger+kale=the best thing ever) and my boyfriend had a vegan gyro with sweet potato fries, and we both had cookie dough milkshakes made with Temptation frozen dessert. It was one of the best meals I’ve ever had. It’s within walking distance of Wrigley Field too, and we did the tour there which was excellent.

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerow August 13, 2010 at 7:58 am

I love how it is all women and then Eric :)

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerow August 13, 2010 at 8:00 am

I agree with the Chicago Diner comment above. Not exactly “whole foods” but great vegan fare. I wrote a blog entry about it several weeks ago:

Nicole Y. August 13, 2010 at 8:17 am

Hi Ange!
I hope you have an amazing time in Chicago!!! I wish I were able to come to the HLS, but I can’t! I’m actually MOVING TO CHICAGO at the end of this month to finish art school and I cannot wait!!! It’s a brilliant city! Can’t wait to see your updates!

~Nicole~

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 13, 2010 at 8:18 am

Great lunch for the plane. It’s always a good idea to think and plan ahead because airplane food tends to suck! LOL

I am sure you guys are going to have such a great time…enjoy!!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 13, 2010 at 8:20 am

Epic burger, lol. That is a cool name!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 13, 2010 at 8:32 am

That burger place looks awesome — what makes them “epic”? Just that they are organic?

Have a great time in Chicago! I can’t wait to attend next year!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 13, 2010 at 8:42 am

Whew! I’m glad you made your life. I would be a nervous wreck!

Veronique @ Hooked on Health August 13, 2010 at 8:51 am

Chicago looks like a wonderful place! I always wanted to check out the Windy City. Have tons of fun! If I ever go, I MUST check out Epic Burger. That is a very clever name for a burger joint :P

The Wife of a Dairyman August 13, 2010 at 8:58 am

Gosh it’s been almost 7 years since I’ve flown anywhere and I’ll be flying to Chicago in a couple of weeks for a convention so it’s good to know you can pack your own lunch and carry it on the plane. Not sure what the do’s and donts are these days:) Have a fun time!

Jenn @ So Very Fit August 13, 2010 at 9:06 am

It sounds like you’re already having such a blast, and it’s barely begun!

And PS, a smooshed cupcake is still a delicious cupcake, I’m sure. :)

OSGMOM August 13, 2010 at 9:07 am

So happy to hear and see that you are having a Blast in the Windy city! I can tell by the smile on Eric’s face that he really, really likes his Uncle Charlie. How interesting that Uncle Charlie is a big time caterer who needs a Vegan connection ;) Loved that as you walked in to Epic Burger you saw yourself mentioned on the tweetdeck! Looking forward to seeing more photos of this beautiful city. Chicago is on your Mama’s Bucketlist as places to visit — ha ha!

emily August 13, 2010 at 9:07 am

Have a great time at HLS! If you are ever down in Buffalo for a longer time (not stuck in you car, hopefully!) I would love to meet you.

Nikita Solis August 13, 2010 at 9:15 am

Chicago can be a fun city, but be glad you are not there in the winter! The last winter I lived there it neared 30 below (F) with the wind chill. Too cold! I love seeing al these pictures though they bring back memories! My husband proposed to me in front of the Buckingham fountain you photographed! Has anyone suggested that you visit the Chicago Diner yet? Its kind of a veggie classic around there.
Have you ever been to Portland, OR? Thats where I live now and I looooove it here! Super vegetarian/vegan friendly and just a really hip city. Bonus: mild weather!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 13, 2010 at 9:23 am

what a fun time! i would love that burger right about now…and yes, it’s only 8:30am. so what? :)

hope you have a fabulous day!

Jacquelyn August 13, 2010 at 9:26 am

This is probably my first time commenting but when I saw the photos I had to!
I stayed in the very same hotel when I went with my family to Chicago a couple of years ago. Perfect location, I might add!
It’s also kind of fun when I look at the other blogs I follow and see how they got to Chicago and where they are.

Callie August 13, 2010 at 10:02 am

Sounds like fun!
I would have freaked out about almost not making the flight if I were you. haha. Glad you made it on time. :)

Tracey August 13, 2010 at 10:04 am

So glad you liked Epic Burger. I’ve never been disappointed by a burger from the place.

So funny that you were able to see my tweet on the screen. I think it is a cool concept to have live tweets showing in the place!

Valerie August 13, 2010 at 10:13 am

Gorgeous pictures! I’m originally from Chicago but I haven’t visited there since I was six or seven… so it’s definitely been a while! That Epic Burger looks amazing. If I ever go back, that’s definitely something I will have to hit up. I loved their Tweetdeck… that’s so cool!

Also, very cool about Eric’s uncle. Maybe they’ll serve GloBars at the next Olympics!

Have a good run and enjoy Chicago!

Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 13, 2010 at 10:16 am

Haha! How cute! A tweet board!
(Is it bad I kind of want one in my house?)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 13, 2010 at 10:21 am

That tweet board’s so cool!!! hahaha and I would have never guess “epic burger” would be an all organic burger shop- it seems like it’d be a huge burger chain or something serving regular, inhumane burgers lol

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 13, 2010 at 10:22 am

So, I nearly freaked out when I saw you went to Epic Burger!! I’m from Chicago and one of my best friends lives right across the street from there! I’ve never tried it but hearing about that mushroom burger makes me think that I have to go there very soon :D

Have fun this weekend!

Shanna, like Banana August 13, 2010 at 10:32 am

I lived in Chicago for 4 years and I still adore this city. It is so fabulous in so many ways. Make sure to soak it all in.

Never saw Epic burger though and I’d love to try it!

Alexa @ Sohdalex August 13, 2010 at 10:34 am

Chicago looks beautiful! I have been wanting to check that place out forever. Not a bad day ;) Two thumbs up for carrot juice and portobello burger. I now have a hankering for one!

jamie @ jamelafamela August 13, 2010 at 10:48 am

Hi Angela! I don’t know if I’ve ever commented on your blog, but I figure now’s a good time since I live in Chicago and it’s so cool to see you in front of the Fountain and touring my city! Anyway, where is that carrot juice from!??! I need that NOW!

Also I went to Epic Burger last week! Got the same thing! YUM!

I wish I signed up for the Summit earlier—maybe I’ll see ya around!!!!

Sara August 13, 2010 at 11:05 am

Aww it’s so fun to see you all in Chicago! (I lived there for 9 years myself!) I hope you have fuuuun!!! :D

Lisa August 13, 2010 at 11:11 am

Canada is a gorgeous country. I’ve done some traveling through BC and Alberta and loved it! So scenic!

Amber K August 13, 2010 at 11:21 am

I am so jealous by some of these blogs I’m reading where you can bring food from home on the airplane! If we could bring food and drink into the airport here, it would have made eating healthy while traveling SOOO much easier!

Julie @ Wearing Mascara August 13, 2010 at 11:40 am

That’s so cool that Epic Burger had Tweetdeck! So 2010 :-) Glad you guys are having fun!

[email protected] August 13, 2010 at 11:52 am

Wow you are lucky to be in CHicago- such a lovely city . Went there fo the first time at the end of last summer and LOVED it! So much to see.
I love the fact the guy found it so funny your reason for travelling!

Jillian August 13, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Wow, Chicago seems great! I was wondering if you have any ideas for school lunches? Something that is easy and quick to make but still healthy…it’s hard to find something like that to bring to school. Your blog has helped me so much. You have so many amazing recipes! Thanks!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 13, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Eep that sounds like such a time crunch! I’m glad you made your flight. :D It looks like you guys are having a blast!

Lindsay McAlester August 13, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I just recently found your blog. Since I have been stalking…um reading your blog I have thought your recipes looked yummy. I tried the Vegan Squash, Zucchini and Black Beean Enchiladas on my family this week. I CANNOT stop thinking about how fantastic they turned out! I will tell you my 3 1/2 year old little girl LOVED them! We do not eat soley vegan, although I tend to stay on the vegetarian side of life. :) My kids never miss meat unless Dad is around. Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting out such a great information highway of healthy living tips, recipes and just plain postive attitude!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 16, 2010 at 10:49 am

Mmmm, Epic Burger looks good!!!!