Birthday Burgers

Good evening!

Eric thanks you for your birthday wishes! :)

Today has been a whirlwind day! Crazy, crazy, crazy trying to get caught up on work before I leave tomorrow. Just when I thought I was caught up I got an order for 150 Glo Bars! Madness.

I asked Eric what he wanted for his birthday dinner tonight. I said I would make him anything he wanted.

‘A juicy burger’ was his request.

And so it was done like dinner.

IMG 1884 thumb   Birthday Burgers

These are the burgers he picked up at Whole Foods on the weekend.

IMG 1886 thumb   Birthday Burgers

He said it was delicious!

IMG 5942 thumb   Birthday Burgers

I had a Curry Chickpea Burger that I popped out of the freezer. Still lovin’ those in a huge way. They just might be my favourite homemade veggie burger.

Despite the mad house, dishes piled up all over the kitchen, and my still unpacked suitcase, I made Eric birthday cupcakes because I strongly believe that a birthday without flour, sugar, and icing is a crime against all things good and true. He agreed with me. ;)

I made him burger cupcakes! :)

IMG 5901 thumb   Birthday Burgers

IMG 5946 thumb   Birthday Burgers

Birthday Cupcake ‘burgers’ with Secret Green Frosting

Vanilla cupcakes adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World.

Cupcake Ingredients:

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance OR 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350.  Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Whisk the almond milk and vinegar in a mixing cup.  Allow to curdle for a few minutes. Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract.  Sift together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the wet ingredients, mixing until just incorporated and no lumps remain. Taste the batter, it is incredible. Pour into muffin liners and bake for 20-22 minutes.  Cool completely before frosting. Makes 12 cupcakes.

IMG 5910 thumb   Birthday Burgers

Avocado ‘Buttercream’ Frosting

Adapted from Alton Brown.

• Meat from 1 very ripe avocado, pitted
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 3 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions: Peel and pit avocado. Place avocado, lemon juice, and vanilla into a processor (alternatively you can use a stand mixer or hand mixer). Process/mix about 2-3 minutes scraping sides of bowl when necessary. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and process/mix. Store in refrigerator when not using. Apparently it doesn’t turn brown either, although I did not verify this entirely. Use at own risk! ;) makes enough to frost 16-24 cupcakes (I had lots leftover after these 12).

IMG 5906 thumb   Birthday Burgers

The frosting was VERY mild, as in, it wasn’t very sweet. It tasted like a very mild butter cream frosting, with just a hint of lemon and sweetness. I did not detect the avocado in there at all and Eric and my mother-in-law didn’t either! They both really loved the frosting because they didn’t feel sick after eating a cupcake.

The frosting also had a great texture! It was not too slick and it sat well on the cupcakes and didn’t slide around. If I had more time I would have tried piping with it.

IMG 5908 thumb   Birthday Burgers

These would make great St Patty’s Day cupcakes! :)

IMG 5918 thumb   Birthday Burgers

It was fun to eat. :)

IMG 5939 thumb   Birthday Burgers

I told my in laws they could have the leftovers, but Eric seems to think he is bringing them on the plane with him tomorrow. LOL. What a cupcake monster. Security would probably ‘confiscate’ them…

I made 4 varieties: rainbow sprinkles, coconut, cocoa powder, and cacao nibs.

IMG 5920 thumb   Birthday Burgers

All of us thought these were quite tasty. Very light and a great way to use up an avocado!

IMG 5921 thumb   Birthday Burgers

IMG 5950 thumb   Birthday Burgers

Well, I have packages to ship, a suitcase to fill, and dishes to clean. I’ll see you in the windy citaaaay! :)

Alexandria August 11, 2010

Those cupcakes are the cutest! I am going to make them asap! Fly safe!

rachel@closertome.net August 11, 2010

Those are the cutest cupcakes EVER! The icing sounds fabulous, I will for sure be making these at some point.

Emily August 11, 2010

Those cupcakes are soo cute!! Safe travels :)

The Wife of a Dairyman August 11, 2010

What an amazing woman you are! I can’t believe you got all that stuff done today. Way to go!!
Have a great trip. Looking forward to your recap:)

Maissa August 11, 2010

For Eric the cupcake lover: On our way back from France my boyfriend and I took several pastries through security, some with custard and whipped cream fillings and it was fine. I have heard of several people taking cupcakes through security and getting through just fine. Now if security tries to steal them so they can eat them… Well now that is just an abuse of power. :)

To Angela, baker extraordinare: these look fantastic. Can you come to my house and make me cupcakes for my birthday? Please?

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 11, 2010

Cute burger-themed birthday! I would have never thought to use avocado in frosting, but that’s GENIUS! I use avocados all the time in my puddings, so it makes sense that they’d blend right into a frosting, too! And I love the pretty green color!

Hope you have a great trip!! :D

lag August 11, 2010

I’ve noticed you’re a big fan of EPL. What do you think of this article?

Marie August 11, 2010

I love the burger theme! So cute. I can’t wait to try that frosting, what an awesome idea. Safe travels tomorrow!

Shanna, like Banana August 11, 2010

What a cute idea for the cupcakes…my hubby is the same way with treats I bake..he doesn’t like to share!

Have fun in one of my fave cities!!!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please August 11, 2010

Oh, I’m so glad to see you use the avocado frosting recipe from Alton Brown. I’ve come across it before, but it just seemed to strange. Glad to hear that it’s good. Happy Birthday to Eric!!!!

Nicole - yuppie yogini August 11, 2010

Those burger cupcakes are SO cute. I made mini vegan cupcakes for my boyfriends bday.

Whitney August 11, 2010

Cutest cupcakes ever! Avocados have been popping up everywhere in desserts lately!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 11, 2010

hahaha those burger cupcakes are so cute!!! :D Waayyy better than any ole meat burger ;)

Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 11, 2010

I’m feeling you on the busy! At least you got around to making a homemade dinner (and probably the cutest cupcakes I have ever seen!)

Vanessa August 11, 2010

Those cupcakes are so cute! You’ve inspired me to try avocado frosting! Too bad you can’t dye it pink to make it more pleasing to the eye! =)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 11, 2010

What a cool birthday for Eric! I would LOVE not getting sick after eating a cupcake.

Tyrah August 11, 2010

avocado buttercream frosting…genius!!!
I’ve made your salt n vinegar potatoes and healthy blueberry cake recently..yum, yum, yum!
Thanks so much, love your blog =)
fun travels!

Valerie August 11, 2010

Those cupcakes are adorable! Sounds like a wonderful birthday : )

Camille August 11, 2010

Looks like a great b-day!
Have a safe flight!

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 11, 2010

I can’t believe how cute those are! You are ridiculous ;-)

Casey Thomas August 11, 2010

Oh yum! Those cupcakes look so cute!
I love “lemon pudding” which is essentially a version of the avo frosting. I have it for dessert at least once every week! I use stevia instead of sugar and often add some lemon zest. It’s wonderful with lime too…like key lime pie!

Casey

Wei-Wei August 11, 2010

You really are a baking genius. I’ve seen avocado pound cake, but never avocado frosting!

Wei-Wei

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 11, 2010

Aaaww, those burger cupcakes are adorable!!!! And a bacon burger?? I need to try this. lol

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 11, 2010

So so cute! You are so creative in the kitchen!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 11, 2010

I love that you snuck avocado into the cupcakes!! :) I assume it’s just like chocolate pudding made with avocados, you can’t taste the avo at all! It just makes it super creamy and yummy. It’s cool that everyone tried them, people usually run away when I tell them avocado is in anything sweet I make haha.

Lauren @ Fun, Fit, and Fabulous! August 11, 2010

You should rename your blog the adventures of Wonder Woman!! Those cupcakes are too cute for words!!

Vegan by Valerie August 11, 2010

Hahaha… every time I make avocado frosting I eat them all in one day because I’m worried that it will go brown! Shucks, now I have no excuse and will have to eat one at a time and store the rest, like normal people ;)

Lisa (BBB) August 11, 2010

ooooh what unique cupcakes! Great job Angela!

Rachel (@Smile Out Loud) August 11, 2010

Your cupcakes look so delicious, Ange! I never imagined cupcakes and avocados together, but leave it to you to do so, and fabulously well, I might add :D I want to make some of these cupcakes right now…

Have tons of fun in Chicago! I hope you tell us all about it :D

p.s. Happy birthday, Eric!

Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 11, 2010

love love love these cupcakes. creations like this of yours are why i love your blog! green = good, even on a cupcake :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 11, 2010

i LOVE those cupcake burgers! what a fun idea!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 12, 2010

cute cupcakes!

Fly safely – can’t wait to see you in Chicago!

Adina August 12, 2010

Angela you’re so creative! I never would’ve thought I would have even thought or considered making a dessert with avocados but I may just have to make some of my own cupcakes after seeing your amazing cupcakes! You truly have a talent for baking :D and I’m glad that Eric finally had his burger craving fulfilled! I hope you both have a safe and great trip to Chicago :)

Sana August 12, 2010

Oh my goodness!!!!! Happy B-day Eric!!!! I can’t wait to meet you at HLS!

Bridget August 12, 2010

What I wouldn’t do for one of those cupcakes…..sigh :) They looks delicious!

Have an amazing time in Chicago. I’m sure it will be a blast!!!!

Julia August 12, 2010

WOW!!!!! First, I thought you made something like french macaroons. And I was wondering how you would have made those (considering that you use egg whites for the macarons)……
Your cupcakes look really yummy and so cute – I love cute looking food. This is why I could spent hours in an confectionery – just looking, of course ;-)
Speaking of confectioneries: There are some great ones in Paris like Hédiard or Ladurée. Definitely worth a visit!!!

Have a safe trip to Chicago!!!

Marina August 12, 2010

Adorable burger cupcakes!
I am intrigued with the avocado cream, I really want to try and make some cake with avocado!

JL Goes Vegan August 12, 2010

Wow, you outdid yourself on those burger cupcakes!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 12, 2010

Those cupcakes are too adorable!

Tina August 12, 2010

Those birthday burger cupcakes are adorable. And as always, sound like such a great recipe.

Have a safe trip and get some R&R from the crazy 150 glow bars order!

Page 1 of 212»