Homemade Salt & Vinegar Chips

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 30, 2010

Greetings!

Today has been a busy one getting ready for the market tomorrow. Tomorrow is our last market day and then we are taking some time off from the market so we can have some free weekends this summer. We are looking forward to it!

I also snuck in a quick run today. I had a little run in with a scary animal…a coyote! It was only about 15 feet ahead of me and it stopped and looked at me for the longest time. Then it just left and disappeared into the woods. Never know what you are going to see out here!

The run:

• Distance: 4 miles
  • Time: 33:56
  • Avg pace: 8:29

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 8:45 (started off way too fast!)
  • Mile 2: 8:36
  • Mile 3: 8:39
  • Mile 4: 7:56 (rocked it!)

I have the race bug in a big way lately…specifically the 5k race bug! I have never run a 5k before and I am dying to run one soon. I’d like to find one for the 3rd or 4th week of August.

Dinner blew my mind. That Martha did it again!

IMG_4915

Homemade Salt & Vinegar Chips (and S & V green beans!)

Salt & Vinegar fans rejoice! These S & V chips are a delicious and healthier alternative to the S & V potato chips I used to love as a kid. I also recommend trying the S & V green beans that I added to the recipe- they were hands down the best tasting green beans I have ever had! If you don’t want to bake these, you can grill them on the BBQ too.

Adapted from Martha Stewart and 101 Cookbooks.

Ingredients:

• Approx 4 cups (or more) white vinegar
  • 4-5 medium potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
  • 1-1.5 tsp coarse sea salt
  • Very small sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 handfuls fresh green beans, trimmed

Directions: Wash and slice up the potatoes into 1/4 inch rounds. Place in a medium sized pot. Wash and trim green beans and place in the same pot. Pour vinegar into pot until all the potatoes and green beans are covered by the vinegar. Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit in pot for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take a greased baking sheet and lay the potato rounds (not green beans yet!) flat on the sheet. Drizzle oil and mix with hands. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 425F. After 30 minutes of baking, flip carefully and then take the green beans and place on the baking sheet. Drizzle oil and sprinkle more salt. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, watching carefully not to burn the potatoes or beans. Serve with ketchup and more sea salt if preferred. Enjoy!

The cooking process…

Slice the taters!

IMG_4860

I used a mixture of red and new potatoes.

IMG_4863

Into the pot ‘o vinegar!!!

IMG_4869

I thought it was worth a shot to see if the green beans would work as well so I tossed them in too.

IMG_4877

Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes over medium. Remove from heat and let sit for 30 minutes.

I could not stop eating the green beans straight from the pot of vinegar…they are so addicting!!

After baking for 35 minutes at 425F:

IMG_4878

Flip and add green beans and cook for another 10-15 mins:

IMG_4885

Oh dear me.

IMG_4891

Words cannot describe my joy.

IMG_4894

I had it with a side of tomato paste.

IMG_4887

This S & V idea is genius. Thank you Martha!

Eric is not a S & V fan and he loved these chips.

IMG_4898

Of course all kinds of ideas are flooding my mind now. I wonder what other veggies could be made like this? The possibilities are endless!

IMG_4900

The beans were so good.

IMG_4901

IMG_4907

I can’t wait to try these on the BBQ next time…yum!

IMG_4914

Well, I guess I better hit the hay as it is late, late, late. My goal is to get up and do 5 minutes of smiling meditation when my alarm goes off tomorrow morning. I’m sure that will go over swimmingly. lol.

Sleep tight!

Ashley July 30, 2010 at 10:48 pm

oh man oh man. Chris is going to LOVE this!!! Good luck at the market tomorrow! xo

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 30, 2010 at 10:57 pm

What I love about coyotes is that they are more afraid of you than you are of them. It’s cougars and bears you have to look out for. Very cool animal sighting though.

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey July 30, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I made these the other night, too! The whole house reeked of vinegar for the next two days, heh. :P I grilled mine with a grilling pan on the stove-top, but I bet oven-baked would be excellent too!

Ange July 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Wow – those look amazing!!!

You should come run the Chocolate 5k Race in Port Dalhousie!! It’s on Aug 29th and it is the best….there’s chocolate at every station and the route is beautiful!!

Here’s a link:

Chandra July 30, 2010 at 11:21 pm

LMAO.. you kill me. swimmingly?!! How do you think this stuff up?!
Wish I was visiting the market tomorrow.. Good luck!

Courtney (Delightful Devours) July 30, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Yum! Love the Martha!
I can;t wait to try out the smiling meditation too.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 30, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Growing up, I never knew what the fuss was with S&V chips. I tried them a couple times and wasn’t too impressed. THEN it all hit me one day. I fell in LOVE. The tang, the bite, the crunch. Mmmmm! These sound incredible, Ange!

Jessica @ Rawtumn July 30, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Mmm those looks divine! That last mile of yours is amazing, great job! Good luck with your search for a 5K within the next few weeks. I’m sure there must be at least one somewhere close by!

Jessica @ Running From Cupcakes July 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Mmmmm those look so good!!!

The Wife of a Dairyman July 31, 2010 at 12:15 am

Oh my gosh! Those chips look delishious!! I wonder if okra would do well in salt and vinegar?
Have you tried that?

Jenny July 31, 2010 at 12:27 am

YUM! Thanks for this recipe!

Camille July 31, 2010 at 12:32 am

5ks are so much fun! Since you don’t have to pace yourself as much it feels much more competitive!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 31, 2010 at 1:46 am

It’s crazy that one can cook something in boiling/simmering VINEGAR?! Wow! As a high raw uncook, and I have said I am raw by default most of the time…heat and ovens tend to scare me b/c something can always boil or bubble over or make a total mess LOL anyway was a genius way to cook these! I pretty much need to get over my fear of boiling vats of hot liquid and try these…as you said, the possibilities are endless for other veggies to cook this way!

Have a great weekend, Angela!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 31, 2010 at 2:27 am

I would never ever think to boil potatoes in a whole pot full of vinegar!! Craziness! But I am definitely going to have to try this. Yum.

Have fun with your smile meditation. :) I struggle to sit and meditate also. I love how you said you didn’t feel the pressure to quite your thoughts. That seems like a meditation that I could do!!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 31, 2010 at 2:50 am

oOh wow wow! LOVE this recipe!! I can’t wait to try it :D

Chase (TheChaseProject) July 31, 2010 at 4:20 am

I love salt & vinegar! I will have to give these a try!

Lauren July 31, 2010 at 6:26 am

Just starred this recipe in google reader and will most definitely have to try them in the near future!

Wei-Wei July 31, 2010 at 6:29 am

Wonderful bokeh in that second-last photo! These sound soooooo good. I love salt and vinegar! Two of my favourite flavours ;)

Wei-Wei

Carla July 31, 2010 at 6:47 am

I love S & V chips!…I haven’t had any in years though. Cooking them like that is ingenious!!…and I must try. My fiance absolutely, positively HATES the smell of vinegar…probably won’t get to make them until he goes out of town or something:(

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 31, 2010 at 6:51 am

What a great idea, the potatoes look awesome.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 31, 2010 at 7:14 am

Oooh those look so good! I think I might have to try it on butternut squash!

AdrienneCarolyn July 31, 2010 at 7:33 am

I made the 101 Cookbooks version the other night too! They were so so so yummy!! I made a spicy vegan aoli for dipping too. I ate an obscene amount of potatoes haha :-)

Megan July 31, 2010 at 7:35 am

These S & V chips look amazing! I might have to make them for my grandma’s birthday tomorrow because I know she would love them.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 31, 2010 at 7:36 am

I always put salt and vinegar on my fries, and they are my favorite chips too!

haya July 31, 2010 at 8:06 am

i think there’s a 5K run at sunnybrook park on the last saturday of august

i’m signed up for the 10.

Devon July 31, 2010 at 8:11 am

YUM! These look great! My husband hates salt and vinegar, though–he says he won’t kiss me if I eat those chips. Maybe I’ll just make some for myself!

Michelle July 31, 2010 at 8:14 am

Wow…these look and sound delish! Thanks for the recipe.

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life July 31, 2010 at 8:14 am

I’m running the TO Women’s 5k on August 28th at Sunnybrook Park!

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas July 31, 2010 at 8:22 am

Oooh…this is fun! I love S&V chips, but they always make my mouth feel weird and get all peely after I eat them. I’ll have to try your recipe!!

[email protected] July 31, 2010 at 8:40 am

Those look SO good! I’m not big on potato chips, but homemade ones are always delicious.

Michelle July 31, 2010 at 8:48 am

Wow! My husband and I love, love salt & vinegar chips. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 31, 2010 at 8:52 am

Wow a coyote as a running partner..never heard of that before. :P And this recipe looks awesome! Bookmarked!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete July 31, 2010 at 8:57 am

Have fun at your last market!

I’ve ran into little foxes before on my running trail — they are usually 10-15 feet away and they are always looking the other way. To be honest the animals are the least of my worries, I get more scared when I see a human being on my trail!

rachel July 31, 2010 at 9:41 am

yum! i have to try that sometime :)

tanyaDailyProductReviews July 31, 2010 at 9:52 am

enjoy your last day

Kaley July 31, 2010 at 10:06 am

Hope you’re doing amazingly today!

The salt and vinegar idea makes my mouth water. What IS it about that combo? Mmmm. Thanks for the great ideas.

Sasha July 31, 2010 at 10:14 am

Looks divine. Potato in any form would be!
Did you trash the white vinegar you boiled the veggies in?
Just wondering if they’d be re-usable at all…?
(Sorry, I can be a cheapskate! ;) )

Kayley July 31, 2010 at 10:29 am

Those look to die for! I can’t help but imagine what your kitchen must have smelled like though. I remember when my mom used to clean out the coffee pot once a month with vineger and I’d have to find excuses to leave the house to keep from smelling it. Maybe I should try these and hopefully get over my disgust of the vinegar smell!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun July 31, 2010 at 10:30 am

I am addicted to salt and vinegar chips – once I start I can’t stop eating them! Thanks for the healthy alternitive! :-D

Callie July 31, 2010 at 10:37 am

I love salt and vinegar chips. :)
Nice run.

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 31, 2010 at 10:41 am

Those chips look SO good and easy to make. I actually have a potato sitting around. I think I’ll make em tonight! :)

Btw, I made your carrot scuffins a few days ago (they were gone within likw 2.5 days ;) ), and they were so good! Definitely a recipe I’ll be saving and using over and over. :) Thank you!

lindsay (goodiesgalore) July 31, 2010 at 10:47 am

I hate to cook but will do anything for a healthy salt and vinegar chip. These look like heaven on a baking sheet. I used to pound those chips like it was nobodies business. Nothing to brag about, I know. THanks for passing this along.

Bridget July 31, 2010 at 11:00 am

I’m not a big fan of potatoes, but when I eat them, they gotta be crispy! These salt and vinegar chips would certainly fit the bill! Thanks for the idea :)

Amber K July 31, 2010 at 11:11 am

I have never liked salt and vinegar chips, but they look really tasty! I wonder if I could make my own sour cream & onion chips!

Tonyne @ Unlikely Success Story July 31, 2010 at 11:12 am

Holy yumminess. I will be making these very, very soon.

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul July 31, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’ve done half marathons and other races, but never run a 5k. I’m doing one in October in Baltimore and it’s the first time I’m really running for speed (rather than to just finish). It’s a whole different experience to be training for a 5k.

And the chips look delish!!! Defnitely will have to try them.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 31, 2010 at 11:28 am

I was never a big fan of S&V chips. But if there was a sour cream and onion version of those potatoes, I would be ALL over those. ;)

Melinda July 31, 2010 at 11:42 am

These look wonderful. Salt and Vinegar is my fave flavor for chips.

Shelby July 31, 2010 at 11:54 am

Living in the moment and just enjoying everything is awesome!!!!!

Great article on mindfulness :)

I love love love all your reciepes!!! Thanks for making food healthy and delicious

nic - the auspicious squirrel July 31, 2010 at 12:10 pm

When you mentioned what you were going to do with those potatoes in a previous post, I clicked on the link and said, “oh, yeah”…. so I bought some potatoes the next time I went to the grocery store…

Now that I have seen your beautiful pictures, I’m so glad I did… I will be making those tonight! :D

nic - the auspicious squirrel August 1, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I made these, they were great! I posted pictures of them! :)

Lisa July 31, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Love the SV idea! I’m making the beans tonight (and the potatoes as soon as I buy some!).

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 31, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Those chips looks amazing!!

Lindsay July 31, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I have to say, I tried a different spin on your smiling meditation. I had an early training run today. When the miles were getting harder, I would just start smiling and it actually made the pain tolerable :) I probably looked a little crazy, but who cares at that time of day! Plus the fact that I was focused on making it home to make those spelt carob blueberrie pancakes from yesterday! Super yummy!!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life July 31, 2010 at 1:57 pm

That is crazy about the coyote! Were you scared??

Stephanie July 31, 2010 at 2:19 pm

These chips are in the oven right this minute! I am excited for them! Went to the farmers market after seeing this post, and had to buy potatoes and green beans!

Rhea (Greek Feaster) July 31, 2010 at 3:27 pm

WHOA!!! What a coincidence, because I experimented with chip-making tonight, too :D
I’ll definitely try your recipe.
I spiralized 2 CSA potaters and made one batch S+V and one batch BBQ.
S+V was apple cider vinegar, smoked salt and pepper.
BBQ was smoked paprika, smoked salt, cumin, brown sugar and pepper.
Baked both on an olive-oiled pan in the oven.
Now my brain is humming with all of the cool flavor combinations there are to try! Post more if you make ’em!

Angela @ a healthy fit July 31, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I am going to the store tomorrow and buying a potato so I can make these!

Kris | iheartwellness.com July 31, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Ooooo no you didn’t. I think I could eat potato chips everyday! Thank you for making some healthy ones for us ;)

xxoo

Marge July 31, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I made those last weekend on the grill and they were fantastic!! Martha knows her stuff :)

Marla July 31, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Angela,
I love s & v and will have to try this soon-sounds amazing.

Ssorry to be scary,but I think it is important for you to know that an 18 yr old Ontario songwriter was KILLED by a coyote this year(Oct 2009) in Cape Breton while hiking a popular trail.The coyote attacked her and she was found by a couple who scared off the coyote and she was flown to Halifax yet tragically did not survive (you can hear her beautiful songs on her website www.taylormitchell.ca

A tragic tale but unfortunately one I feel you should be aware of. Between animals and people I suggest you don’t run alone in the area you live in. That is just my personal concern.
Take care and thank you for your sunny personality and very lovely blog-you are a talented and creative chef and I think you and your husband seem like such a sweet match.Wishing you both the very best and sorry for such a shocking email.

Cyndi @ Weightless Life July 31, 2010 at 6:59 pm

The chips look amazing! I am definitely going to make these. Thanks for sharing.

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 31, 2010 at 7:20 pm

WOWZA. seriously this sounds SO GOOD i can’t even stand it! delicious!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 31, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Have a great final farmer’s market day!!! That is good you are taking some weekends off :-)

I just love Martha!

Kathi August 1, 2010 at 7:14 am

Angela,

I made these last night for along with “in a jiffy spelt veggie burger”. They turned out perfectly! Both myself and my husband love him of course he ate his with a big beef hamburger. I am trying to convert him. Ha ha!

I made a dip yesterday for my snack that you might want to check out. When I was making it I thought of you.

Claire August 1, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Angie,

I’ve learned my lesson. I have to write down the recipe right when I read on your posts! I’ve been looking for your balsamic vinegar green been recipe. Can’t find it. Could you please send it to me? So sorry. Lesson learned!

AngelaOSG August 2, 2010 at 6:59 am

Hey it is now updated on my recipes page under dinner :)

Rose August 1, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Made the chips & green beans to have with Perch for dinner tonight. SO GOOD! My husband is British, and a big fan of salt & vinegar chips. He loved these! Thanks for posting the recipe. :)

AngelaOSG August 2, 2010 at 6:59 am

happy to hear that!

Simplehiccup September 12, 2013 at 10:06 am

The green beans were amazing and addictive. My husband said they tasted delicious and wishes I had made more. What a win! Thanks for the great recipe!

Bita January 7, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Funny I baked sliced potatoes and made green beans tonight too! Sans the vinegar though… something was missing – will try these the salt and vinegar way next time! – Bita