Chard Crossed Lovers

We meet again Swiss Chard, we meet again.

IMG 3629 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

You know, being a lover of all things green, it really pains me that Swiss Chard and I didn’t really hit it off.

Sure, I consider myself a happy person most of the time, but this defeat lingers in my mind. It haunts me in my sleep.

IMG 3636 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

Perhaps, the Swiss Chard’s arrival in this week’s CSA is a sign. Perhaps, the battle has been fought, but the war is not over.

IMG 3630 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

Eric took one look at the Chard last night and he said, ‘Well, I guess your lips WILL be touching chard again.’ and he broke into a laughter so evil, I get chills just thinking about it. I took a piece of chard and hit him with it.

IMG 3633 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

For those of you who don’t know me very well, I am a Taurus and I am as stubborn as we are described. I do not accept defeat and I am starting to think that Swiss Chard is a Taurus as well. We are butt heads.

I knew that I couldn’t let Swiss Chard out of my life just yet. It’s bright green, crinkly, and radiant  leaves call out to me for some unfinished business.

So, I did what any girl looking for a Swiss Chard recipe would do and I headed over to Choosing Raw. If you have not visited this website, you really should. Gena is not only a dear friend of mine, but she is a fabulous writer, super helpful, and she whips up some amazing recipes, including Banana Soft Serve. I rest my case.

IMG 3868 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

Raw & Vegan Tuna Salad

Adapted from Gena’s Raw, Vegan Tuna Salad.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked 2 hours
  • 2 pickles, chopped (I didn’t have any)
  • 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped (or celery)
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrot
  • 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tbsp maple syrup OR 1 tbsp pickle juice
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp Herbamare sea salt
  • Freshly Ground Black pepper, to taste
  • Paprika, to garnish

Directions: Place all ingredients into food processor except paprika and cucumber. Pulse until just combined (you want to leave it a tiny bit chunky). Remove from processor and stir in chopped cucumber or celery. Sprinkle with Paprika and another small dusting of Herbamare. Serve in a wrap, on a salad, or with crackers. Serves 4-6.

My mother-in-law got me hooked on this Herbamare a couple years ago and it seriously changed my life.

IMG 3911 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

I had to make some modifications to Gena’s recipe based on what ingredients I had, so it didn’t come out tasting like tuna overly so, but it was still really delicious! Addicting I might say.

IMG 3826 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

I didn’t have pickles or pickle juice, but I tried my best to make a pickle juice by using apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and onion powder. It gave the salad a bit of a bite. I would still recommend using pickles + pickle juice if you can though. I also didn’t have miso.

This raw + vegan tuna salad would be excellent on crackers or on toast. I can’t wait to try it out with different things!

IMG 3859 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

Tonight, I made it into a Swiss Chard wrap.

For help with the wrapping part, I used Gena’s instructions on folding a collard wrap. After washing and drying, I de-veined the stem. Or at least that’s what I told myself I was doing.

IMG 3872 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers IMG 3873 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

Swiss Chard is a bit hard to wrap because the leaves crack very easily, but I managed even though it was a big mess (read: stubborn).

IMG 3879 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

I made two wraps using about 1/4 cup of the tuna salad on each along with chopped veggies.

IMG 3887 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

IMG 3898 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

I actually was really surprised because the Swiss Chard didn’t taste that bad to me this time. It was actually really mild tasting. Perhaps, I like it better raw when the smell doesn’t over power me as much?

IMG 3903 thumb   Chard Crossed Lovers

I have experimented on and off with raw food recipes over the past year and I have enjoyed most of them. I find that summer is a great time to experiment with raw food because you don’t have to turn on the stove and the meals are often refreshing and energizing. I tend to crave more uncooked meals in the summer, which is why you have seen lots of those on the blog lately.

Some of my favourite raw & no-bake recipes:

Tonight’s question- Have you ever experimented with raw food recipes or would you try some out? Did you come across any that you love in particular? Do share! We could all use a little less oven in this heat…or should I say a little less heat in our oven!

Healthy Living Summit charity raffle today until Friday at noon EST!

I am raffling off one HLS ticket for this year’s Healthy Living Summit in Chicago Aug 13-15th! All proceeds go to the Canadian Cancer Society. Donating $10 = 1 ticket entry, donating $20 = 3 ticket entries. I haven’t had that many entries (maybe 10 so far) so your chances of winning aren’t too shabby! Visit my donation page to make your donation: Click here. Thank you and goodluck!

I’m now trying to motivate myself to go on a run after discovering my Shuffle (mp3 player) is broken. It is a sad day. I’m hoping for a miracle.  See you tomorrow morning for a fun Friday surprise.

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle July 22, 2010

HOLY WOW!!!! OMG I am definitely making that soon!!!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 22, 2010

Haha you are and Eric crack me up.

I always ask for chard at the veggie juice bar. Not sure why…I just like saying shaaaaaard. I don’t mind the flavor but I think I’m just a lover of all veggie flavors. I’ve been putting kale in my smoothies this week and I love it.

Erin July 22, 2010

The chard wraps look delicious! I bought the cookbook Raw Food Revolution back in March to try some new recipes for a cleanse, and I really love the Liquid Gold Dressing recipe. It’s an odd flavor combo at first glance, but so good.

Pam July 22, 2010

Cute post about your relationship with chard.

I’ve found chard to be one of the mildest raw greens to put in smoothies, especially with cacao. I’m not a fan of cooked greens, though.

I love mock tuna! I have a recipe on my blog when I did a Gabriel Cousens trial, and it was strangely addicting! I wrapped it in nori sheets. I definitely want to try Gena’s version! I’m craving it all over again. I’m glad you decided to try it because it got me interested in it again.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

im going to put chard in my GM tomorrow!

Stacy (Little Blue Hen) July 23, 2010

It’s better with lacinato kale, but works with chard, too. Remove thick stems, roll leaves tightly into a cigar shape and slice into thin ribbons. Toss with the zest and juice of one lemon (or two small ones) and drizzle with olive oil. Cover and let stand at room temperature for an hour. Serve topped with grated pecorino romano cheese, nutritional yeast, or even sesame seeds. So good!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 23, 2010

Usually the raw foods that are supposed to taste like something else…like cheese sauce or something else usually don’t taste that great. But I love a good raw salad.

Jodye July 23, 2010

I was definitely not a fan of chard the first time I tried it, either, but it did grow on me. This looks like a great way to use chard, and the tuna salad looks especially delicious! Have you ever tried a garbanzo bean based tuna salad?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

No I havent but that sounds interesting!

Amelia July 23, 2010

Swiss chard is one of my favorite vegetables ever! You can do so much with it. I wish I had recipes to share in my blog, but by the time I started, chard season had come and gone. Did you get all green/white chard or did you happen to get any rainbow chard as well? A few ways I enjoy chard: thinly sliced in ribbons as a base for salad (instead of lettuce), finely shredded and sauteed down alongside caramelized onions and roasted garlic on a pizza (SO GOOD!), used as a wrap for all kinds of veggies, tofu, tacos, etc. Enjoy your CSA!

vegetablevalhalla July 23, 2010

I too find I like chard better raw. One day I was desperate and hungry and wrapped a piece of tofu in some nori, then in a chard leaf and dipped it in a sauce made of Bragg’s, tahini and grated ginger. It was amazing! I was shocked.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 23, 2010

I’ve never had chard before, but those wraps look so good I may have to give it a try. Usually I’ll use romaine when I do a lettuce wrap.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 23, 2010

I really awnt to try out a raw food dish! I think I want to try it out at a restaurant first though because I’d most likely butcher the recipe on my first try. ;)

Beth July 23, 2010

I entered! I hope I win! :-D

I am actually running the Chicago Half Marathon on 9-12-10 for the American Cancer Society. If you’d like, check out my page! http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=17217269&pg=personal&fr_id=27330

My donations aren’t nearly as impressive as yours, but I still hope to make a difference!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Every amount helps! Goodluck!

Therese July 23, 2010

So glad you’re getting to like swiss chard, I admit to LOVING swiss chard. I saute it up with a bit of lemon juice, garlic and salt and could eat a whole bunch of it if I could!

I’ve recently been starting to experiment with raw food and my boyfriend just bought me a dehydrator for my birthday so I’m PSYCHED (yes, psyched) to start using it for some more raw recipes!

Liz July 23, 2010

Hi Angela!

I love Gina’s raw food site and read it pretty much every day for inspiration. I’m not on a raw diet, but I have treid a few meals and find I always feel extra “springy” after indulging in one of her recipes! Instead of feeling like settling into the couch, raw dinner makes me feel like running another lap!!!
There is one recipe on her website for “raw middle eastern rice” made with cauliflower. You also wrap this “rice” in chard leaves. It is AWESOME. As a side note – The raisins in the rice are what **makes** it!
As for wrapping, I find it’s much easier to take the largest leaves and cut out the vein altogether, cutting the “soft” part of the leaf into palm sized sections (Say, divinding each side of a large leaf into two peices). Then I serve it up with the “rice” (or other filling) in a bowl and the torn up leaves on a plate to the side. I use the leaves sort of like injera when you are eating Ethiopian food – As a utensil to scoop up smaller spoonfuls of the filling. Easier than trying to create a burrito style wrap!!!
YUMMY!

Jennifer July 23, 2010

I’ve been experimenting with raw recipes for the past few months. I really love the ones that Ani Phyo creates.
Two favorites are
Pad Thai Noodles in Almond Kaffir Sauce from her book Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen
and
Tomato Chili with Taco Nut Meat from her new book Ani’s Raw Food Essentials
Here’s a YouTube video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m9PNr_iGE

Fanta July 23, 2010

I’ll be right over to eat! ha ha Your food always looks so amazing :)

Steph (@ mediterraneanmiss) July 23, 2010

Congrats on her mix-a-lot!! What a great name, and what a velvetty GM! I can’t wait to see what you do with her <3
As far as the green beans go, I love to steam them, then toss them with sweet onion in a white balsamic vin. dressing with EVOO for light summer bite. It's sososo good: http://www.mediterraneanmiss.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Green-Bean-Salad.jpg

Kristin July 23, 2010

Hi Angela,
Earlier this spring at my local grocery store they were handing out samples of this recipe using swiss chard. It was REALLY good but I have yet to replicate it!

Swiss Chard and Quina Pilaf
1/2 T olive oil
1/2 small onion diced
1 t minced garlic
1 C uncooked quinoa rinsed
1/2 C cooked lentils
1 C chopped fresh mushrooms
2 C vegetable broth
3 C chopped swiss chard greens
6 oz bag of dried cranberries
1/2 C poppy seed dressing (I’m guessing this was store bought)

Heat oil in a large pot over med. heat. Stir in onion and garlic, saute for 5 min. until onion is tender. Mix in quinoa, lentils, mushrooms, and broth. Cover and simmer 20 min; remove from heat. Gently mix chard into pot; cover and let stand 5 min or until chard is wilted. Stir in cranberries and dressing. Chill at least one hour to allow flavors to blend.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

thanks for the recipe!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 23, 2010

Oooooh your new baby is GORGEOUS!!!! I’m happy to see someone that loves kitchen gadgets as much as I do. (Although I can’t say that I have many in the Vitamix price range!!) I see many delicious green monsters and other blended goods in your future!

As far as recipe experiments go, most of the recipes on my blog were experiments! It sounds nerdy, but for fun I like to find recipes, ‘clean’ them up, then test em out. I’m proud to report there haven’t been too many disasters so far!

Catiboo July 23, 2010

Ok I love raw food. I don’t have a dehydrator so I can’t make anything dehydrated. *Tear*. Anyways, I can’t wait to try the tune wrap. Yummy. But here is my favorite raw recipe by Ani Phyo, enjoy!
TOMATO CHILI

3 cup tomatoes, chop
1 cup red bell pepper, chop
1/4 cup celery, chop
1/4 cup yellow onion, chop
1/3 cup mushroom, chop
1/3 c corn kernels
1 teaspoon garlic, mince
1 – 2 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
1 teaspoon cumin, powder
3/4 teaspoon oregano, fresh or dry
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, toss to mix well.

Place half of your mixture into your food processor or blender and puree. Scoop back into bowl with mixture and toss to mix well.

NUT MEAT TOPPING

1 cup walnuts
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin, powder
2 teaspoons coriander, powder
1 teaspoon bragg’s or nama shoyu, or 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
Place all ingredients into your food processor, and process into small pieces.

To serve, scoop raw Tomato Chili into bowls. Top with Taco Nut Meat. Enjoy.

Tomato Chili will keep for 1-2 days in fridge. Taco Nut Meat will keep for a week or more.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

thank you!

Amber K July 23, 2010

I have tried collard green wraps at a raw food restaurant and they were AMAZING! I tried to make it at home and it was the bitterest thing I ever put into my mouth. I have no clue what I did wrong, but I’d love to try it again sometime.

rachel July 23, 2010

that looks fantastic! must try it sometime

Katie July 28, 2010

That looks amazing! Definitely will be trying this soon!

Janine November 22, 2012

Here’s another chard recipe for you…
I’m usually not the biggest fan of it myself, but I planted way too much this past summer so I’ve tried lots of recipes. This soup is one of my favourites for sure!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 19, 2013

These wraps look amazing, I have to make these!
And I love chard too! I love all the greens–haven’t met a leafy green I dislike yet, I even like the totally bitter ones
I make a version of those Green Monster shakes with them (sort of) and I also make enormous salads out of them, topped with vegan dressing, vegan parmesan and vegan feta (I buy vegan parm/feta from Whole Foods, haven’t made my own yet]

Emily - It comes naturally June 10, 2013

I found this recipe when I was looking for chard-inspiration. I didn’t use chard leaves, but I did use it for inspiration making mock tuna – yummy. Check it out here http://itcomesnaturallyblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/mock-tuna-vegan-gluten-free/

Jana December 12, 2013

My box had some red chard in it today. I made this using pickle relish (that’s what I had). It was tasty. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2«12