My Heart Beets For You

IMG 3220 thumb   My Heart Beets For You

Good evening! I hope you have had a good start to your week. Another amazing bunch of comments on this morning’s post. So many awesome thoughts, ideas, inspirations, and stories. Thank you for sharing!

My day has flown by and I got quite a bit crossed off the list. All day long I had to fight the urge to ditch all my work and go read, lol. However, I use the book as a ‘treat’ at the end of a work day. I am really looking forward to reading before bed tonight, cuddled up on the couch with Eric and Sketchie!

I also noticed an increase in my energy today after having such a relaxing and rejuvenating day yesterday. I decided this will have to become a Sunday tradition!

Speaking of energy…

IMG 3219 thumb   My Heart Beets For You

It may be no secret that I did not enjoy beets until my 26th year when I started juicing with them. I learned to love the taste of beets in a juice and I have had a beet juice at least once a week for the past few months. It is simply delicious!

IMG 1930 thumb1   My Heart Beets For You

One thing I never got over was eating beets whole.

I still have bad memories of the canned beets my dad used to try to get me to eat at Thanksgiving. He would open the can and the beets would come out looking just like a can, complete with little ring imprints around this beet puree mold. Horrifying I tell you. If you have been there, you feel my pain. Ever since my childhood I have crossed beets off my ‘must learn to enjoy’ list. My dad still eats canned beets to this day and I always quietly chuckle to myself whenever we have a holiday meal together and I see the canned beets come out! To this day, he is the only person who dares to touch the canned beets. Bless his heart.

However, I now appreciate a couple things:

1) Canned beets are not the same as fresh beets

2) My tastes are growing and adapting over the years

These days, I have a desire to experiment more with my diet so I figured why not take the plunge and prepare some fresh beets? Who knows, I might actually enjoy them!

IMG 3239 thumb   My Heart Beets For You

Beet, Apple, and Orange Salad in a Homemade Raspberry Vinaigrette

Adapted from Vegetarian.about.com.

Ingredients:

• 3 fresh beets
  • 1 orange, peeled and cut into segments
  • 2 apples, sliced
  • 1 tbsp sunflower seeds, for garnish
  • Salad greens (spinach, romaine, etc.)
  • Homemade Raspberry Vinaigrette (see below)
  • Shredded coconut, for garnish
  • Fresh Raspberries, for garnish

Directions: Rinse beets and cut off ends. Toss beets in a medium sized pot filled half way with water. Turn burner heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes until beets are soft. While the beets are cooking, chop apple and peel and chop orange. Remove any seeds from orange. Remove beets from heat and drain. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Once cool, thinly slice the beets. Add the apple, orange, and beets to a medium sized bowl and mix. Make the Homemade Raspberry Vinaigrette (see below) and then pour over this mixture mixing it very well. Serve over top your choice of greens and sprinkle with sunflower seeds, fresh raspberries, and coconut. Serves 2.

IMG 3214 thumb   My Heart Beets For You

Homemade Raspberry Vinaigrette

Ingredients:

• 2 tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider for the sweeter taste)
  • 1 tbsp cold-pressed sunflower oil (or your choice of oil, EVOO works well)
  • 7-8 fresh raspberries, mashed with fork
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup

Directions: Mix. [That was easy!]

IMG 3215 thumb   My Heart Beets For You

I loved this homemade raspberry vinaigrette…so easy!

A gorgeous, bright and colourful summer salad appeared before my eyes…

IMG 3235 thumb   My Heart Beets For You

I was just smitten by how beautiful it was. It was love at first sight.

IMG 3240 thumb   My Heart Beets For You

…and love at first bite!

I actually surprised myself and I loved this beet salad! I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel about eating cooked beets, but I loved them. They definitely exceeded my expectations.

IMG 3232 thumb   My Heart Beets For You

The one thing I still haven’t gotten over is the smell of beets, specifically the smell of cooked beets, but I am sure I will get used to it over time. I think I need to slowly disentangle my bad memories of canned beets from the fresh ones.

Dessert was a new take on my Frosty No-Bake Glo Cakes!

IMG 3269 thumb   My Heart Beets For You

I will be sharing the recipe with you tomorrow morning, so hang tight! They were deelish and frosty. Mmmm me oh my.

Eric is taking me out on a date tonight. He won’t tell me where we are going but he said to make sure I have air in my tires, my bike tires that is. haha. I’ll bring along the camera and show you some pictures tomorrow morning! Have a great night.

tanyasdaily July 19, 2010

I like beets,esp when they are cold…..and color is so pretty!

Kara @ MyWellnest July 19, 2010

I’m tempted to try beets in juice as your juice always looks amazing!!!

Tina July 19, 2010

I haven’t been able to bring myself to eat fresh beets yet either because of childhood canned beet trauma. They certainly do look good and so fresh though.

Kathryn July 19, 2010

I’ve always hated beets too, until I started juicing them. My tastes have changed so much since being vegan and healthy (I never liked brussels or peas but now I love them!). I have been too afraid to try them unjuiced still. I sure do love the color of beet juice and they are so pretty I WANT to love them!

Beautiful salad!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

My tastes have totally changed too!

Rachael July 19, 2010

I’ve a weird one – loved beets since I was a baby. My mom has many a fun, embarrasing story about the bowel movements that resulted, which she loves to pull out in front of my partner.
Still love them today – last summer i went through a beets phase where I ate my weight in simple salads – raw beets, cilantro, greens and apple cider vinegar every single day.
Enjoy your date!

Stacie July 19, 2010

You two enjoy your date! How cute on a weeknight :) I’m sure your pics (and Eric’s) will be fab.
Tootles,
Stacie

Courtney (delightful devours) July 19, 2010

Those no-bake Glo Cakes look amazing! I will be waiting with anticipation for this recipe! I always find your recipes to exceed my expectations (especially your peanut butter swirl pancakes! Loved those!)

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! July 19, 2010

I feel you on the new found beet love. They just have to be prepared properly (and not from a can!).

Paula July 19, 2010

Love the blog title :). I smiled goofily to myself at my desk when I read it.

Ariane July 19, 2010

i made my first beet juice today! your juice pictures always look so gorgeous, and i finally worked up the courage to try it out. yum! thanks for the motivation! : )

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 19, 2010

I had a similar beet phobia when I was a child that I wrote about last Wednesday (I decided to give the veggie another chance by roasting a few in the oven… the result was pretty dece.) I wouldn’t go as far as to say I love them, but I’d definitely eat them if they were served to me.

Have fun on your date! So cute! I can’t wait to see the photos. :)

sarah July 19, 2010

That is an aswesome title, I love it!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 19, 2010

That dressing looks delish! I always use your better than bottled balsamic – so I can’t wait to try this!

Stefanie July 19, 2010

I never thought I would like beets until I tried them about a year ago. They are best when freshly roasted. The beet greens are good too. That salad looks great. Now i’m craving beets. Have a great night :)

p.s. Sketchie is such a cute cate. He reminds me of my cat at my parents house. It sounds like he has the same personality traits as Sketchie too.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 19, 2010

LOL – I LOVE canned beets! I don’t even need to warm them up … cold out of the can is good for me!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 19, 2010

I am SO excited for the recipe :)

Kerry July 19, 2010

My Mom eats canned beets too. My sister and I hated them so much, that we used to take all the cans from the pantry whenever there was a canned food drive at school. (Clearly, we didn’t grasp the concept of charity, trying to give the beets to those who needed help – we’ve grown since then.)

This year, I finally tried roasting fresh beets, and loved them. I have had 3 beet recipes on my blog in 2010. My Mom is shocked, but happy. My sister has not yet been converted, but I am working on it. :) Have a great date night.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

hahah love that

erica July 19, 2010

i love canned beets! hahaha. :)
have fun on your date night! can’t wait to see what he had planned!

Erin July 19, 2010

I have to admit that beets totally gross me out. I’ve had them a couple of times (only canned) and the flavor totally puts me off. Plus I can’t help but think of Dwight from ‘The Office.’ ;)

Emily July 19, 2010

This salad looks absolutely PHENOMENAL! I must replicate it soon, I also am glad you showed a new way to cook beets, I always thought it was canned or roasting them for hours!

Also been loving your talks about Eat, Pray, Love. That is one of my favorite books of all time, I cannot wait to hear what you think when you finish! It really inspired me one year of my life when I went through a big roller coaster with many of the same themes as Elizabeth. I related to her time in Italy, eating to soothe ones soul. I was first introduced to yoga that year and found such an awakening with the practice. And the love part, I will let you get to in the book but I was so grateful and inspired for having read it. Enjoy the rest and thanks for the great posts lately!!

Peggy July 19, 2010

I LOOVE beets. We had fresh cooked beets on the salad bar in college, and I went through a phase my senior year when I ate so many my pee turned pink! And, a funny beet story. One day I was loading up my salad with my beloved beets when an older man in line behind me (an alum, maybe?) told me “My mom always said that beets make you beautiful. I guess she was right!” I was so flattered I wanted to hug him. But instead I just ate even more beets. :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 19, 2010

I have seen beets so much in the blogworld lately! The salad looked delicious, though! As did those glo-cakes!!!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 19, 2010

These might be some new favorite foodie pictures! I heart beets — what a creative title, too : )

Enjoy your night <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

Thank you :) I might have to print one of the photos out!

Callie July 19, 2010

I’ve always been scared of beets. My family also used to buy the canned ones. I hated how they tasted and I haven’t tried another beet since then. That salad looks so good, maybe I’d like fresh beets better?

Lizzie July 19, 2010

Your beet story is my story – it wasn’t until i was with a gal pal in NYC and we stumbled across this funky little restaurant that I was able to overcome my fear of beets. My mum used to boil them and the stench was unbelievable! But this little place had a beet and goat cheese salad that looked able to overcome those smelly obstacles . . . and it was really good. I have been admiring your beet juices – so much color!! Hope you had a fun evening. We went for an Angela inspired walk, but had to kick it up a notch as there was a storm coming in, so no frozen yogurt stop (there was a line out the door, and while it’s good, it’s not “rainsoaked’ good :)). So maybe some best chocolate pudding you’ll ever have is in order! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

hah that’s cute!

Gypsy July 19, 2010

I’ve been thinking about those Frosty No-Bake Glo Cakes since you first posted! That’s it – I’m making them tonight!!

I didn’t like beets either growing up – of course they were canned – one of my strongest memories from pre-school was sitting at the lunch table with beets looming on my plate. We weren’t allowed to leave until we ate them :/
But I love beets now – especially cold beets in a salad with nuts and goat cheese :) yummy

bitt July 19, 2010

beet juice started giving me a sore throat, this has happened to a few others. it hurts so i quit them. i am kind of off of beets raw but like them roasted or pickled. they are great for the liver.

thanks for the raw cookie recipe this morning!

Rowie July 19, 2010

What a beautiful salad!!! I have never been a fan of beets, they smell and taste like dirt to me. Recently a woman who works at the bakery with me made a citrus marinated beet salad, kinda almost pickled…and it was actually good! Now the rude comments fly whenever i’m caught eating it at work, caught “red handed” with my fingers in the salad bowl!

Lynda July 19, 2010

I was just having dinner with my friends last week and the topic of beets came up…my friend said that she couldn’t stand the taste of beets because they tasted like dirt! I’ve never had them and now I’m afraid :) I know I don’t like dirt.

Charlie July 19, 2010

I actually always loved beets! When I was a child, I was so HAPPY when we had some! My mother prepared cooked beets with a little butter on them and it was really good!
That salad looks absolutely delicious :)

Jackie July 19, 2010

I feel your pain with the beets. I’m still not able to eat them but I do LOVE them juicing them. Growing up I couldn’t stomach asparagus either. Mom used to serve canned asparagus, yes that’s right I said canned asparagus. It was foul tasting mush. Now that I’m all grown up and have experienced fresh asparagus I can’t get enough. Would you believe to this day my parents have not had fresh asparagus.

Mallory July 19, 2010

Can you share what kind of juicer you use? Do you like it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

It is a Breville Fountain Elite. It works just ‘OK’…it has a really hard time with beets, for example.

Lauren July 19, 2010

I have to agree, there is a distinct difference between fresh beets and canned! I just wish they weren’t such a pain to prepare. ;)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 19, 2010

Oh wow glo cakes, you look so good.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 19, 2010

I love beets, but didn’t start eating them until I was about 27 or 28 I think. We’re just late bloomers that’s all.

Roasted beets, turnips, celery root, and parsnips with rosemary and chevre cheese is awesome!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 19, 2010

I still don’t like beets! I really wish I did though.

Lisa @ BBB July 19, 2010

My oh my – such a gorgeous looking salad!!!!
have fun tonight!

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 19, 2010

That salad looks divine! I love beets.

Pure2Raw Twins July 19, 2010

I agree canned beets are not the same as fresh ;) Glad you are starting to like beets, they are one of my favorites!

Daniel July 19, 2010

Canned beets are almost an entirely different vegetable in my opinion haha!
I think beets are probably one of my most favorite veggies and near the top of the ones I love to roast (only behind squash!).

Your salad photos are spectacular too, really captures all of the vibrant colors. :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

thank you!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA July 19, 2010

That looks good, and I’d definitely like to eat more beets. I’d never tried them until last year and as it is I think they’re OK – I’ll eat them, but I’ve only made them once myself.

I’ve never heard of canned beets. Is that a Canadian thing?

I used to babysit two kids ages 2 and 4 and they loooooved beets. Their mom would get out a jar of pickled beets and they would shriek for joy, “Beets! Beets!” and then we would spend an hour eating them. I thought it was hilarious, but their mom always acted really excited about beets and so the kids felt it, too.

kaila July 19, 2010

I, like you, just started loving beets like last year! i love them in juices and especially in salads. I make a mean beet salad with kalamata olives, red onion, sliced apples, beets (obvi. lol), and homemade balsamic dressing! yum!

Page 1 of 212»