Glimmer of Happiness

Happy Monday!

I was just reading through the new comments on yesterday’s ‘life question’- what a great way to start the week. I am constantly inspired by the journey that you share with me on the blog!

I also appreciated that some of you voiced your honest opinion of the book. Some of you said that you couldn’t get through the book and you didn’t like how the tone/message changed after Italy. I got about 1/3 of the way through the India book last night and I did notice a shift. The tone got more serious and Elizabeth really delved into meditation, yoga and the history behind it. While I did find a couple parts have been slow in India, I found the part about where she struggles with meditation absolutely captivating as I have struggled with meditation and quieting my mind for a long time. I found that I was taking a few notes for myself and I hope to re-visit meditation in my own life (I will blog about it!). It will be interesting to see how my opinion of the book changes as I read through India and Bali. I hope I will enjoy it!

I told you last night that I would be sharing with you this fun raw cookie recipe that I made yesterday! They are so yummy, I hope you will enjoy them as well.

IMG 3159 thumb   Glimmer of Happiness

Raw Energy Cookie Bites

Inspired by That’s Fit.ca’s Raw Seed Cookies.

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup of almonds
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
  • 9 medjool dates, pitted
  • 4-5 dried apricots, chopped
  • 2 tbsp cacao nibs
  • 1/2 tbsp pepita seeds (pumpkin seeds)
  • Pinch or two of sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions: Place pitted dates and almonds into a food processor and process until the mixture is ground up. You can leave a few larger pieces if you prefer. Remove mixture from the processor and place into a medium sized bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with your hands. Form into mini cookies or balls. Makes 8 mini cookies.

Nutritional information (per mini cookie): 136 calories, 4 grams fibre, 5 grams fat, 2 grams protein.

IMG 3160 thumb   Glimmer of Happiness IMG 3165 thumb   Glimmer of Happiness

I am in love with these mini energy cookies! So delicious and packed with so many healthy foods.

IMG 31592 thumb1   Glimmer of Happiness

You can also double the recipe and pop them in the freezer for quick snacks!

IMG 3169 thumb   Glimmer of Happiness

Here is another quote that I loved from Eat Pray Love, page 115. Elizabeth is talking about pleasure and how our society typically feels guilty for pursuing pleasure in our lives. In this quote she speaks to a ‘glimmer of happiness’ that she started to feel after being in a deep depression for a couple years. She was on the path to ‘mending her soul’.

“It was in a bathtub back in New York, reading Italian words aloud from a dictionary, that I first started mending my soul. My life had gone to bits and I was so unrecognizable to myself that I probably couldn’t have picked me out from a police line-up. But I felt a glimmer of happiness when I started studying Italian, and when you sense a faint potentiality for happiness after such dark times you must grab onto the ankles of that happiness and not let go until it drags you face-first out of the dirt- this is not selfishness, but obligation. You were given life; it is your duty (and also your entitlement as a human being) to find something beautiful within life, no matter how slight.

I came to Italy pinched and thin. I did not know yet what I deserved. I still maybe don’t know fully what I deserve. But I do know that I have collected myself of late- through the enjoyment of harmless pleasures- into somebody more intact. The easiest, most fundamentally human way to say it is that I have put on weight. I exist more now than I did four months ago. I will leave Italy noticeably bigger than when I arrived here. And I will leave with the hope and the expansion of one person- the magnification of one life- is indeed an act of worth in this world. Even if that life, just this one time, happens to be nobody’s but my own.”

I thought that was one of the more powerful quotes in the book so far. I absolutely loved this quote ‘you must grab onto the ankles of that happiness and not let go until it drags you face-first out of the dirt’ it gave me such a great visual and helped me understand her sentiment. I also agree that sometimes happiness comes from the little things in life. I think many of us get overwhelmed by assuming that we need to do all of these huge and crazy changes to be happy, but sometimes happiness comes from a small decision to just pursue something that you enjoy- even if it has no practical purpose.

For me, my glimmer of happiness was starting Oh She Glows. On October 31, 2008, I started Oh She Glows. It was one of the most difficult times of my life and I was struggling with my career and graduate school. I was depressed and I cried in bed so many nights. The blog was my glimmer of hope each day- a distraction from the unhappiness that I felt with my career choice. It was something so simple as writing a few words each day and hoping for that connection with others to help guide me though.

Little did I know that something as simple as writing a blog would have been the thing that gave me the courage, confidence, and desire to seek out happiness, not just for a few moments every day, but for my entire day. Sometimes, these little glimmers of happiness can be the seeds for amazing change and transformation in our lives.

I also loved her analogy about ‘putting on weight’. When Elizabeth went through her divorce she lost about 25-30 pounds and was skeletal. Putting on weight was not just a representation that she was getting healthier, but it was a metaphor for the growth that was happening on the inside of her as well. I thought it was so interesting because so many women denote weight gain with a negative emotion or loss of control, but sometimes weight gain represents a time in your life when you are enjoying the pleasures of life and just…happy.

I appreciate hearing your own thoughts on this quote…Do you have any ‘glimmers of hope’ in your life right now? Have you ever experienced any small pleasurable activity that got you though a difficult time, like the blog did for me? Are there things in your life that you could do to create these small bits of happiness in your day?

L July 19, 2010

I’m struggling to find my glimmer of hope, and trying not to give up. If I do have a glimmer of hope, it’s knowing that such beautiful, kind, intelligent and happy people like yourself were once engulfed by the dark depression monster, too. You give me hope…

Stefani July 19, 2010

L-

Sometimes hope is all we have. I don’t know what you’re going through, but there are always people around who have been in similar situations who have found the light at the end of the tunnel. It’s not easy when it only looks like a flame on a candle, but I think eventually the light gets bigger. I struggle with good and bad days and it just helps to know that people care about me, whether they’re friends, family, or strangers.

L July 19, 2010

Stefani -

Thanks for your supportive words. My biggest struggle is having the courage to neglect keeping up with what society deems I should be and start realizing my own passions and “glimmers of happiness.” I find flickers of your “candle flame” right before I get tossed out into long hours of work, commute, and other daily monotonous tasks.

But, what I need to keep reiterating to myself — is how many fabulous people such as yourself, Angela and many of the other ladies following this blog have been there or are there. We can pull through together. There is so much this life can offer — and I look forward to the day I’m brave enough to let myself enjoy it.

Thanks, again, for your caring thoughts.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Hi L and Stefani, thank you both for sharing and being so supportive of one another! It really made me happy to see these encouraging comments. L, I wish you all the best with your own discovery. Just chip away at it one day at a time.

Gypsy July 19, 2010

I love when happiness surprises us. Last night my fiance and I were thrown a surprise engagement party. It’s such an amazing feeling to know how much your friends love and support you. We felt so shocked that they came together like that and planned the whole thing – something to honor us. In a way we felt a little embarrassed – isn’t that funny?

Lizzie July 19, 2010

I love this comment. One of the funniest wedding stories I ever heard was from my boss. A good friend invited him to a party he and his girlfriend were having and insisted that he come. The night of the party he decided he was too tired and would rather hang out on the couch. Turns out the surprise was on all of the guests – the couple were actually getting married at the party! His friend still gives him heaps about it to this day. What a fun surprise for you guys and how great that you have family and friends who would do something like that.

Jaya July 19, 2010

Angela, great question! Honestly, hope has come to be a permanent fixture in my mind and life, ever since I undertook the difficult and necessary work of learning to love myself. I know it sounds corny, but hope is much more tangible and sustainable when it comes from within (as opposed to seeking it out in exogenous forms). Sometimes reading books and hearing songs seems to get the hope flowing – so to speak – but I consider hope as essential an ingredient to healthy living as good food or clean water. I can’t wait to read some more of the responses!

Gail July 19, 2010

I LOVE your comment! It is so true, you have to really get deep down inside yourself and accept and love who you are. There is never going to be the perfect you (thinner, more successful, etc) those things are superficial and really will not bring you happiness. I’ve had to struggle with this myself, and I’ve had to really work at accepting who I am today.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

I couldn’t agree more. Thank you for sharing!

Drake July 19, 2010

I started to find my glimmer of hope about a year ago. My parents divorced just before I left for university, and I spiraled into a depression for my first two years of school that I only realize the extent of now that I’m out of it. I was apathetic, angry, stressed, sad, and much heavier than I wanted to be.

I think that in the way that putting on weight helped Elizabeth, taking off weight helped me. I learned how to let go of all of the negativity, pain, and anger I was loading myself down with while at the same time I was literally removing weight from myself. About a year and a half ago, at the beginning of my third year at university, I think something just clicked for me. I realized that I was selling myself short, and that I was the only person in control of my future. I was lucky enough to have amazing people in my life who gave me unending support and encouragement, but it wasn’t until I claimed happiness for myself that any real changes were made. Once I made the shift, weight started coming off, my grades went up with my spirits, and I started feeling light again, both literally and figuratively.

I just graduated from university in June, and although I’m taking a detour at home to take my GRE’s and apply to grad school, I’ve never felt happier or more in control of my future. It’s so great to read blogs like yours – you’re so inspiring and it’s wonderful to hear how others have successfully claimed their lives. Thank you for sharing yourself with us!

Lauren M. July 19, 2010

I feel like we are in a book club now because I am at just about the same spot in the book as you are. I just read this part two days ago. I really loved reading through Italy and I didn’t think I would be able to connect much with India and Bali, but so far India has been really moving to me and many of the things she shares are things that I have felt or have been feeling. This quote really touched me and I truly understand her feelings here. I think my glimmer of hope is my little one bedroom studio guesthouse that I’m living in. I know it sounds odd, but I love it because it’s mine. It’s where I can escape to after a rough day. I can be alone or I can have a friend over. I can cook all night long and not disturb anyone. I can play loud music and dance around for no one to see but myself. But the best part of it is that, when I don’t want to be alone, my family and friends are only a few miles away, and they are my other glimmer of happiness.

Camille July 19, 2010

My glimmer of hope right now is that I am moving next month. I have lived in San Diego my entire life (minus one year away at school) and I have never liked it. My boyfriend and I decided we were ready to get out of here so I did some research and am now transferring to a school in Oregon. We are leaving at the end of August and it seems that everything is just leading up to the day where we leave!
For small amounts of hope and happiness in my day, I look to my kitten. Yep, I am a crazy cat lady! She is about 3 1/2 months old and so full of love and happiness. It makes me so happy to have her snuggle up against me, I can really feel the love and devotion. She is the first pet I have ever raised from a baby and it is so much more rewarding than I could have ever imagined! She does as much for me as I do for her.

Stefani July 19, 2010

Never underestimate the power of pets! Somedays the only thing that keeps me going is knowing I get to come home to 3 hairy little creatures that love me no matter what I look like and can’t wait to stick their little doggie tongues up my nose!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Animals are pure joy and love to me as well.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 19, 2010

Yes, the book does shift through the 3 sections and because Italy was so “fun” we want to hold onto that, but this book is about her life and the transformations so inevitably the moods and tones will ebb and flow like a tide. There is still humor, but more contemplation. Bali has a whole different voice yet. You’ll get annoyed with her, love her, respect her, get frustrated with her and tell her to go back to Italy. But in the end, the book becomes a gift. A gift to you to be all of those things she goes through and all of the things that make you unique on your own journey with various moods and tones.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Wow what an awesome comment! You summed it up so well. Thanks :)

Therese July 19, 2010

I’ve struggled with meditation myself and was really upset when I came to realize that I wouldn’t be able to stay with the Zen Centre I had been frequenting due to time constraints. Going to the Centre every week, I was taught so much about quieting the mind and honouring the present. I think people get too preoccupied with “not doing it right” but no one, absolutely no one, can quiet their mind right off the bat. It’s just like any other exercise, consistency and practice are the way to go. Be diligent in practice and after a while, although you will still have to work to quiet the mind, you’ll be able to quiet it for longer and longer periods of time.

I think being in the kitchen is my glimmer of hope. I never thought I’d say that and even now, when it popped into my head, it surprised me but it’s true. I don’t HAVE to cook the meals I do, I can just as easily make quick meals that take no thought but I enjoy the time I have in the kitchen. When I have a few extra hours to myself (so rare these days) I immediately figure out what I want to make in the kitchen. I may not be the world’s greatest cook/baker but I love making food from scratch. It offers me time to create, to make something that others enjoy as well as myself and to unwind. It consistently reminds me that there *is* time to do something so simple as cook a meal and make it amazing.

gail July 19, 2010

I’ve just started picking meditation back up and what a difference I feel! I agree, there’s no “right way” to meditate and it takes a lot of practice. I can only do it for about 4 minutes and then I get antsy. There are days where I’ll attempt it and my mind keeps wandering to what I have to do that day. But even if I only meditate for a minute, it seems to make a world of difference. I found too that when I do start getting into the swing of things, I can ease my mind down in a stressful situation. This is sort of weird, but if I’m stressed at work, the only quiet place is the restroom, so I go in a stall and just sit quietly for about a minute with my eyes closed and focus on my breathing (hopefully there’s no smell in there!). It really helps center me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

I used to escape the the bathroom or sometimes the stairwell at work for a moment to myself. Im glad I am not the only one!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 19, 2010

The cookies look so good! Do they taste like only dates? I don’t mind dates but I hate that Larabars only really taste that way…to me at least. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

They do taste a lot like dates!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 19, 2010

i’m totally making my own glimmers of hope right now, but it’s coming right along! i would say that finally being able to write again has been huge for me. that and learning to love my camera. those things make me happy and excited about the future, which is something i lost for a while there!

also, if you don’t have chia seeds could you sub flax seeds instead?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Oh yes I am sure you could!

AGS July 19, 2010

Most of my “glimmers of happiness” come from flying (flight lessons). After each lesson, I feel rejuvenated, excited, tired (in a good way), proud. . . but the effort required to maintain lessons in the course of a hectic life schedule is tremendous. I have to remind myself over and over of my personal goals, loves, and interests – else the pace of the rest of my life overwhelms the brief exuberant moments.

Charlie July 19, 2010

I find that hen going through a rough time, it can be really hard to have hope that things will get better. But just one small good thing can make you see that the future can be better.

When I got kicked out of my house in October (my mother had a new alcoholic boyfriend and changes a lot), it was very difficult for me to find some way to be happy. I think it takes time to adapt to a new situation, but it is always possible to find some good aspects to a new situation. I was actually more depressed living with two alcoholic parents than by my own and I see that now. And I still have hope that the future will be better for her too.

AGS July 19, 2010

I’m sorry to hear of this difficult situation you are in. I hope that you are able to find bits of happiness — and of wholeness — as you move forward! Hugs.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

I too am sorry to hear of what you are going through, my heart goes out to you and I hope that things improve for you. Keep the faith!

Amanda July 19, 2010

I’ve been reading your blog for the past month and I just want to say what an inspiration you have been to me. I have been struggling with many of the same health issues you struggled with and it’s been refreshing to read you stories of how you turned things around. I am just at the start of my journey to live a healthier and happier lifestyle and your stories give me such strength so thank you!

Cecilia July 19, 2010

I have had a very difficult spring and early summer where both of my parent have been diagnosed with illnesses, but for once I didn’t keep all of this to myself like I usually do, I shared it with my friends and was met with such an outpouring of love and support that it almost makes it hard to breathe when I think about it, because it really took me by surprised how much love there was set aside for me. And if all of that love exists for me, then think about how much love there must be in the entire world? That, right there, is a glimmer of hope for me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

That is a great way of looking at it. It reminds me of a quote from the EPL book where Elizabeth comments that she was technically ‘alone’ on New Years Eve (in India) for the first time in her life, but she certainly did not feel alone being surrounded by all of the ‘strangers’ at the Ashram.

Rhea (Greek Feaster) July 19, 2010

Thanks for sharing the excerpts from EPL- I had no interest in reading it, previously, but I think I’ll check it out now!
Also, those energy bites are right up my alley. I would make them into a sammich with nut butter in the middle! Can’t wait to try ‘em

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

mmm nut butter I didnt think to add that!

Brie @ Brie Fit July 19, 2010

I’m struggling right now, too. My glimmer of happiness is knowing I’ll be able to go home in two weeks. We live far away from my family and friends, and I’m so lonely where we live now. We’ll hopefully be moving back for good in a year or two, but I try to hold on to the little things–emails from friends, trying to recreate foods I love–to pull me through.

I have this vision right now of us, two years from now, buying a home close to family and friends, getting another dog, maybe trying for a baby–and I’m so anxious to get to that point, it’s hard to enjoy what I have now. I don’t really have a solution, I just try to grasp whatever I can that makes me happy these days and hang on for dear life. Thank God I have a wonderful husband and animals that make me smile!

Anya July 19, 2010

What a great quote. You’ve been posting so many inspirational things lately, thanks a lot! They really put many minimal “problems” into a greater perspective.

I think it is very important to see happiness and joy in even the slightest of things. I often let go of my worries even while I walk to work (the irony) and listen to the trees’ rustle and tweeting birds. Cooking also helps me mend my soul when things aren’t going right or I’m not feeling well–it’s like I’m taking the time to create little bits of nutrition for myself so I can nourish my body. Maybe I should try and have more moments like this, only with myself, just to let go of everything and *be*.

Ilana July 19, 2010

I haven’t read the book yet and I’m worried I’m not going to like it because I’m not really the kind of person who loves “popular” books, I’m more a classic literature nerd, but I am enjoying your impressions. That section you posted resonates with me as well. I’ve dealt with depression my entire life and in recent years it’s become so bad that I literally could not ever be happy in my own environment – I always needed to get out, chase new things and new adventures (you know, wanderlust), and every time I came back home I would crash and burn and be lower than before. The worst was this past September; I’d just returned from spending 7 weeks in Thailand and I felt completely at a loss, rootless, directionless… A few weeks into this period of lethargy I decided to go to a Pilates class for my first time and I fell in love. Most days it was the absolute best part of my day, and I started going 4 or 5 days a week. Everything else was just miserable. Eventually I started to fall more and more in love with Pilates and realized it was a direction I absolutely would love to go with my life, and that changed everything. I felt like I woke up. My life was SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT, and only because I would go to Pilates every day because it made me feel good. It’s only been about four or five months since that revelation but I feel like a completely different person from who I used to be.

As far as meditation, I think different people meditate differently. Some people really respond well to deep relaxation and calm, others (like me) find zen in absolute chaos and noise. I do my best ‘meditation’ when I’m surrounded by noise and people, or when I’m in the kitchen baking. I don’t think meditation always has to be “sitting silently and delving deep into the mind.

Elli @ 16 and Losing It July 19, 2010

I love that quote! I haven’t Read Eat Pray Love but after reading that passage I really want to.

For me my “glimmers of happiness” are cooking and exercising. They may not be all that original but they make me happy. When I’m in the kitchen and I make something I cam totally from my head not a recipe. In the kitchen you follow your own rules, if you don’t lie cilantro you just leave it out, if you think some lemon juice would brighten up your dish you put it in. Its your dish, you kitchen, you stomach, and your tongue and that’s all that matters. And I love making something and then seeing the happiness it brings my mom (my only tester) when she eats it and cannot stop telling me how good it is!

Exercise is different but the same in many ways too. Its not always as joyful as cooking. Sometimes I’m hot, or tired, or I just feel lazy, but the fact that I normally still get myself up and go for my run or go to kickboxing despite how I am feeling makes me proud. And there is nothing like the feeling of an amazing workout. The kind that wipes away all the stress of whatever else happened that day or whatever could happen. When you feel like you could fly because your body feel powerful and strong. That feeling is definitely a feeling that nothing can replace. Or when you finish a particularly hard workout and are amazed at hoe much farther you pushed yourself than you even thought possible. Exercise has taught me so much about my body and myself and the confidence it has brought me is irreplaceable, and makes me so happy.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 19, 2010

The weight gain really depends on the person. A different woman may gain 25-30lb of weight during her divorce because of stress eating. In that case, her weight gain would be just as unhealthy as Elizabeth’s weight loss.

Susan July 19, 2010

I just finished reading Eat, Pray, Love!!! I’m loving the discussion going on here around it. I’m in a transitional stage of discovery myself, so the book particularly spoke to me.

I think my “glimmer of hope” was quitting my job. I was so depressed last fall living in Fredericton that I cried daily, couldn’t sleep, and started looking into counselling. Talking to my mom one evening, she told me to pick an end date for my job and follow through. The next day I gave my notice to my boss, and my life has improved daily ever since. Last night I sat around with a group of amazing people in a friend’s backyard here in Toronto and I couldn’t help but smile. My life is the complete opposite now from what it used to be and I finally feel like I’m ME again. I think moving to Toronto was one of the best decisions I’ve made :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

I love this comment..thank you for sharing your story! I am so happy that you had the courage to turn things around (and very happy to have you nearby!)

Therese July 19, 2010

Stick with it… Bali is fun and light again! All three sections are amazing for different reasons.

Halley July 19, 2010

My glimmer of happiness started when I found your blog! It has inspired me so much to pursue a healthful lifestyle that I love! Now, I have been enlightened to an entire blogging-learning community dedicated to doing the best for ourselves and our bodies- with an emphasis on my most favorite thing: FOOD! Everyday is an exciting challenge to learn more and do the best I can to keep moving forward. I am thankful for what you have shared with us all along your journey, and for the extra spark that it has lit for mine.

Aww thanks!

Danica July 19, 2010

I LOVE how every time I read your site, you have a way of inspiring me :) Thanks for that!

Now those cookies ~ WOW! They look completely amazing ~ I LOVE how you can see all the healthy goodies in them….YUM! Must try :)

Have an awesome day A!

Astrid July 19, 2010

My glimmer of happiness is painting and seeing what appears on the canvas. It reminds me that I am strong enough to create beauty in my life. Cooking and baking bring me happiness as well. Studying yoga is also giving me passion back in my life in a physical way. I appreciate my body and my mind at the same time. I hope that one day I can truly find balance in my life and stop feeling so miserable about certain things!

Jessica @ Give Away One Thing A Day July 19, 2010

My “glimmer of hope” right now is a blog I have just started with the goal of “living lighter, one day at a time” — by giving away one item every day, both on the blog and to charity.

Much like how you felt when you started OSG, I have become so unhappy with my life and need something positive to look forward to. I hope that through the act of giving away something every single day that I will be reminded of what is truly important in life — not “things,” but people, experiences, and memories.

We’ll see where this journey takes me!

Laura (B Foxy Fitness) July 19, 2010

Hi There! I’m new to your blog, but I love it already! Such positivity and inspiration in this little slice of the web! :)

My “glimmer of hope” is teaching. Whether it’s teaching group fitness or teaching public speaking to college freshman, the ability to share knowledge and challenge others to see, feel, or think differently about something is so compelling and rewarding. Seeing that “ah-ha” moment on someone’s face is the highlight of my day. In return, my students and group fitness participants also challenge and inspire me in so many different ways. I’ll never be fabulously rich or famous being a teacher, but I go to work everyday knowing that I will definitely make a difference.

Like yourself, blogging has also become a glimmer of hope for me. Being able to express myself freely and creatively, and also having the privilege to connect with so many other inspirational people through their blogs is an empowering experience. I’m slowly re-discovering the creativity in me that was suppressed through the 100-page academic grad school papers I wrote for two years, and I’m loving every minute. Thank you for this post–and awesome question! I can’t wait to read more on your blog!

Jessica @ Jessica Balances July 19, 2010

I love that you are reading Eat, Pray, Love – I read it a little over a year ago and it seriously changed my life. I think it’s an AMAZING book, regardless of where you find yourself in life. I happened to read it while I was recovering from a terrible breakup and it helped me to realize that life DOES go on… Ultimately, I found hope and inspiration in Elizabeth’s story. :)

Jennifer July 19, 2010

Thank YOU for being a glimmer for me everyday! Each day I pick up a new recipe or a new tip or just one new ingredient for my GM. I just hope you know you give that glimmer to so many of us each day! (and I’m lovin my Breville!!)

Pam July 19, 2010

Thanks so much for sharing the truth about the emotional struggles you’ve been through with your career, etc. That in itself gives me a glimmer of hope. I got a degree in psychology, but in retrospect it wasn’t “me,” and I never did use it. I’ve been a mom for 15 years, and struggle with so many issues of self-worth. I’m trying to overcome the feeling that my worth is measured by the money I bring in. I can’t seem to shake that. I am experimenting with a blog, and finding my voice, and breaking out of the insecurities of allowing myself to be me. So that is my little glimmer of hope at the moment. I enjoy going back to read your earlier entries, and seeing how much you’ve grown, and it makes me realize what is possible on this journey.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Pam I can relate to this a lot too ” I’m trying to overcome the feeling that my worth is measured by the money I bring in.”
I decided my entire university career based on what title I would have afterwards and how much money I would make. I even researched the top paying psychology fields and wanted to do the highest paying one! Now that I look back on it, it is silly. When you are happy, you will find a way to make the money come in some form or another. When you are depressed, no amount of money matters.

Maissa July 19, 2010

I have to say the India section of eat, pray, love was one of my favorites. I thought it was really where she got all the work done. It isn’t as playful because what she had to go through wasn’t playful. Italy freed her and India healed her, or at least thats how I saw it. To everyone out there struggling with the India bit, i say stick through it because what she manages to overcome and find within herselfmis truly inspiring.

I am currently in the mddlemof am fairly major lufentransition, the I graduated university with an arts degree, now what dilemma. It is scary, and it has me a bit panicked, but my glimmer if hope is that I have everything else I want in my life. Anwonderful boyfriend, a city I consider home, I have my running, dedicatinvto health, and love for food. Direction will come,eventually, I just have to let it unfold. As Steve Jobs (CEO of apple) famously said, ‘you can only connect the dots backwards, not forwards.’ so I guess my final glimmer is the knowledge that someday I will look back on this time and understand how everything I did took me somewhere new.

Massa July 19, 2010

Whoops the first sentence of the second paragraph is supposed to read: i am currently in the middle of a fairly major life transition.

Stefani July 19, 2010

LOL. So, that wasn’t German for something? :-)

Maissa July 19, 2010

Haha, no. It’s just my inability to properly use my iPad keyboard. I always hit m instead of the space key.

Fallon July 19, 2010

MMM Now I have to try these cookies!!! I just posted on my blog about your in a jiffy curry chickpea burgers. They were delicious!

christina cadden July 19, 2010

I will have to try that cookie recipe. It looks so good!

Mellissa July 19, 2010

Love the discussion but did not love the book! The movie should be interesting to see.

My glimmer of hope- A calendar always helps me. It sounds strange but even in my most stressful times having events on the calendar that I know I will enjoy help me get through them. During grad school it was trips and now it is trips and food events!

Ashley July 19, 2010

This is perfect. I quit my miserable job last week after being bullied and abused simply for doing my job and doing it well. I have no other job prospects, and I’m writing this from the couch in my parents’ house.
However, you know what? I’m feeling better. I put on my running shoes for the first time in 9 months and suffered through two long miles, part of which involved me bawling my eyes out. I baked this morning. I got accepted into a school to completely change my career. I withdrew from the grad program I was accepted to in December. I’m going to do what I feel I was meant to do, so help me.
I don’t know. Maybe I’ve just flipped out from all the stress, but for the first time in my life I have no plans, and I feel like I’m right where I should be. And so I guess my ‘glimmer of happiness’ is having a feeling of hope and possibility once again.

Stefani July 19, 2010

Congratulations! That was a big decision. I would love to do the same thing if I had the means.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Wow this comment gave me chills…chills of happiness for you. :) Way to go! You will never regret following your heart.

Ashley July 19, 2010

Thanks you guys! I still can’t believe I quit, but I already feel like myself again. I read your history and saw that you made a major change, and reading your blog makes me feel better about a (sometimes) scary time. However, I figure if I’m going to run myself into the ground working, I might as well be doing something I love!

Charlotte July 19, 2010

Baking is something that always brings a smile to my face. When times are tough baking or cooking with my husband seems to make everything better. Right now I have a glimmer of hope of finally getting to open a coffee shop bakery which I have been dreaming about doing for 8 years. Luckily my husband is pushing me through my fears so I no longer can find a reason to put of what makes me happy.

Alyssa @ bride to be fit July 19, 2010

When I was going through a tough time in my life, the one thing that gave me that glitter of happiness was a hug from my 3 year old niece. It just made my heart come alive again! :)

Awww love that!

Michal July 19, 2010

This was hard for me to read and think about because I’m still struggling to find sustainable glimmers. Even when I find something outside to be a glimmer, it’s very easy to start resenting the time I’m in the stressful environment unable to be out doing those things – like cooking, or running+yoga, or escaping into a book. So I’ve tried to find glimmers inside the stressful environment – things to laugh at, small achievements to look forward to – but I know it’s not a sustainable situation.

Kris July 19, 2010

I find all the discussion and comments interesting. I just plain did not enjoy the book. I liked the Italy section the best, having traveled there (and thoroughly enjoyed the food), but the rest of the book just did not resonate with me. And, if I only saw a glimmer of happiness each day, that wouldn’t be enough. I wake up every morning looking forward to what the day will bring. I just try to appreciate the many blessings I have, because I know I don’t struggle nearly as much people struggling with poverty, disease, hunger, etc. Every day I am very fortunate.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 19, 2010

Spending time with my friends and family are my glimmers of hope. When things are tough it is comforting to know that there are people who really love you and would do anything for you. Simply being with them is often enough to pull me out of any funks.

Page 1 of 3123»