Summer Roast

Hello!

Thanks for sharing your book recommendations this morning as well as your goals of the week.

Hope your week started off great! My day has been intense, but I ploughed through over 11 orders so I feel really good about that! The only downer to the day was that we found out our treadmill needs the engine replaced. The treadmill repairman has already replaced the two rollers (1st outing), the belt (2nd outing), and now it is still ticking so he wants to replace the entire engine! Luckily the parts are covered with Landice treadmills (for life), but the labour is not (only up to 1 year)…and boy is the labour bill racking up! I swear I should have gone to school to be a repair woman.  Or an electrician…we were once charged $200 for an electrician to spend 5 mins. putting in a circuit breaker…

The theme of this week is all about the checklist. If I can complete my checklist this week, I will be one happy camper! I love having something physical on paper to look at. I haven’t done a checklist in a while so it feels good to have one in front of me.

The theme of dinner tonight was to ‘cross off’ a bunch of veggies lurking deep in our crisper…

IMG 1907 thumb1   Summer Roast IMG 1908 thumb1   Summer Roast

We now begin the countdown until the next CSA box. We have just 2 days left until our next one!

We had a huge bunch of asparagus to use up.

IMG 1928 thumb1   Summer Roast

My absolute favourite way to eat asparagus is roasted with sea salt, oil, and black pepper. Classic simplicity.

IMG 2241 thumb   Summer Roast

Easy Roasted Asparagus:

• 1 bunch of asparagus, rinsed and broken at ends
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Sprinkle or two of Sea salt
  • 1 tbsp sunflower oil or oil of your choice

Directions: Rinse asparagus and break off the ends (they will naturally snap at the weak part). Place asparagus onto a baking sheet and drizzle oil over top. Move asparagus all around baking sheet until coated with oil. Sprinkle on sea salt and ground pepper. Roast in the oven at 400F for about 15-20 minutes, flipping once half way through.

IMG 2242 thumb   Summer Roast

I also used up a bunch of red potatoes, green onions, and zucchini in another pan roast!

IMG 2261 thumb   Summer Roast

Maple Infused Red potato, Zucchini, and Green Onion Roast

Ingredients:

• 4-5 small red potatoes
  • 2 zucchini
  • 5 green onion stalks
  • Sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp sunflower oil or oil of choice
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F. Chop veggies and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle oil and maple syrup over top and massage the oil/syrup into the veggies making sure they are all coated. Sprinkle on sea salt and black pepper. Place in oven at 400F for around 1 hour, flipping once half way through. Potatoes should be crisp when ready and green onions will have a crunchy consistency like kale chips!

IMG 2236 thumb   Summer Roast

I put the red potatoes, zucchini, and onion mixture into the oven first (for 45 mins), then during the last 15 minutes of cooking I popped in the asparagus. Timing worked out perfectly!

IMG 2243 thumb   Summer Roast

However I was ROASTING myself while the oven was blasting for an hour! The kitchen got so hot I felt like I was having hot flashes.

This was my first time having maple syrup on roasted veggies and it was killer!!! The hint of sweetness tasted amazing. Try it out you will love it!

IMG 2249 thumb   Summer Roast

With a side of tomato paste, although I didn’t use much of it because I loved the maple flavour of the veggie roast!

IMG 2250 thumb   Summer Roast

The green onions got so crispy and reminded me so much of kale chips!

IMG 2253 thumb   Summer Roast

IMG 2256 thumb   Summer Roast

I love the crispy tops when asparagus are roasted…

IMG 2258 thumb   Summer Roast

I don’t know if I have ever had roasted zucchini before but it tasted incredible. I think the key here was slicing the zucchini very THICK. It shrinks in the oven, so if you leave it on the thick side it will remain a good size and very juicy! I wished I had more of it when I was finished!

IMG 2269 thumb   Summer Roast

IMG 2274 thumb   Summer Roast IMG 2276 thumb   Summer Roast

Dessert, a Dark Chocolate Coffee Mararoon

IMG 2284 thumb   Summer Roast

Eric and I are going to go on a relaxing walk around the neighbourhood (we try to get out every night for about 20 minutes in the summer). We love our summer walks! They are so peaceful and it gives us a chance to unwind from the busy day. Our summers don’t last long so we need to make use of every minute we can!

Tonight, I also need to book flights and hotel for the Healthy Living Summit conference in Chicago. I am excited because I have heard that Chicago is an amazing, historic, and beautiful city and I can’t wait to explore it. Eric is going to join me as well (but he won’t be attending the conference). Anyone here from Chicago or been there before? What are the great sights to check out? Nice places to run? Restaurants? Anyone else attending the HLS?

Have a lovely evening and I will see you in the morning!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 12, 2010

I love summer walks too! My husband gets home pretty late but we always try to walk when we can. There is nothing like incredible summer smells and watching kids playing outside. ;)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine July 12, 2010

I love just straight veggies for dinner once in awhile, especially when they’re so excellently prepared! Love the maple syrup idea, it sounds absolutely mouthwatering!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 12, 2010

Love roasted zuchinni…do you know you can STUFF your zuchinni and cook it on the grill. Oh yes, yes you can! =)

I lived near Chicago for nearly 22 years of my life and it’s one of my favorite cities. For the best possible view, go to the Signature Lounge in the Hancock Bldg on Michigan Ave. It’s on the 97th floor and has 360 degree views. Champagne and strawberries will make the view even better ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Wow it sounds incredible thanks!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 13, 2010

I also recommend the Signature Lounge!!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 12, 2010

What a wonderful meal :) I love asparagus. Actually, it was the chosen ingredient from my Mystery Box last week and I made an asparagus risotto! My only complaint was that there were no leftovers!

Kath July 12, 2010

Gorgeous photos!!

Laura D July 12, 2010

The Chicago Diner is a vegan/vegetarian diner in Chicago…amazingly good! We had to wait some time for a table, but it was completely worth it. I would highly reccomend!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

thanks!

Leanne July 12, 2010

Random roasted veggie tray is my go to meal for organic co-op leftovers. Thanks for the maple syrup idea, sounds delicious!

Kristina July 12, 2010

I *SO* wish I was going to HLS… I have an important wedding that weekend. hopefully next year…

I LOVE roasted asparagus, probably my favorite! I roast veggies all the time, and love it… I totally forgot about maple syrup (right now I have none)… that is delicious, I had it at a restaurant and did it once after that.

We LOVE to walk in the evening… (Basil Pup loves it too!) we have a great trail along our property, where we meet other dogs and friendly people, and our far off neighbors :)

Cindy July 12, 2010

I work and live in the Chicago-land area. If you want fresh fish and an awesome staff the place to go is Shaw’s Crab House’s Blue Crab Lounge (to the right when you walk in) on Hubbard and Wabash. We go there all the time and the staff is truly amazing.

Get a run in along the Lake – I always suggest running South because it stays a little further away from the Drive. For normal touristy things go to the signature room on the 95th for drinks and enjoy the view (top of the Hancock tower at North Michigan Avenue), check out Navy Pier, visit the Parks, especially Grant Millennium (South Michigan Ave.), if you want to check out some raw food go to the French Market located in the train station (Canal and Randolph). Stroll down Michigan Avenue and shop at the huge Macy’s on State Street.

Just a few ideas!

Laura July 12, 2010

Since you’re sometimes in a bind trying to eat up all your CSA veggies, have you ever thought about freezing some? I once did a Google search about the proper way to freeze different types of vegetables (how long to blanch, type of container to freeze it in, etc.) and it was pretty helpful. Obviously some of the produce wouldn’t freeze well, but I’m sure it could prolong the life of some veggies so you can enjoy them in the fall or winter!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

I’ve thought about it…I think I would be more likely to make a huge batch of something and then freeze it for quick meals. Just need to find the time!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) July 12, 2010

The weather here had been so cool, I planned a dinner that involved the oven and now its 80* outside! I can’t win ;P

Sarah July 12, 2010

I’m sure you knew this already, but check out Porter for your flight!! They’re having a seat sale that’s over today, and when I booked mine they were around $100 each, each way.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Thanks were going to fly out of Buffalo :) its about $200 cheaper

Courtney @ Three Months July 12, 2010

I absolutely love roasted asparagus – it reminds me of spring & summer!

Danielle July 12, 2010

Those roasted veggies sound awesome!

I’m going to the HLS too! I can’t wait :)

Cara July 12, 2010

Your asparagus is gorgeous!

MarathonVal July 12, 2010

Where to start….. I LOVE Chicago and I find it to be an excellent ‘healthy living city’, if you know where to look, that is!

Karyn’s on Green, Karyn’s Raw, Karyn’s Cooked, and the Chicago Diner are all great vegan restaurants. And of course, you have Trader Joe’s and numerous Whole Foods locations!

I live just off Michigan Ave AND

Vanessa July 12, 2010

I am a Chicago suburb dweller, and I love going to the city as much as possible! I would say that going to see a live show at The Vic or The Riveria is quite the experience, but hard to plan if no bands or musicians you know will be playing during your stay :/

As for food, you MUST MUST eat at The Chicago Diner (seriously…must!) They have the best vegan food I have ever had, and always have splurges as well as raw and healthful items. Another great restaurant is Karyn’s Raw or Karyn’s Cooked – both delicious.

Of course, you must see Millennium Park, The Bean (touristy to the max, but mentionable), and shop :o)

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston July 12, 2010

My husband and I like to go on walks around the neighborhood as well. I’ve been to Chicago and it’s definitely an awesome place to visit. I would go in the John Hancock building (a little shorter than the Sears Tower) but has a more amazing view and an awesome restaurant up stairs. Running in the city is apparently really fun… that’s what our friend said when we visited!

MarathonVal July 12, 2010

…..ooops didn’t mean to send that previous comment so soon…

Meant to say that I love running up Michigan Ave to people watch the tourists and to enjoy the river, beautiful flowers and architecture. And you definitely have to run along the lakefront!

Lori July 12, 2010

Sorry if this has been answered a lot before. I havent been reading for long. Is your Glo Bakery the same thing as your home kitchen or is it somewhere different?

Thanks!

Sarah July 12, 2010

I ADORE asparagus :)

I’d never would have thought to use maple syrup to marinade veggies in maple syrup…such a clever idea.

Have a wonderful evening stroll with the hubbie!!

Simi Botic July 12, 2010

I love your blog – thank you for all your wonderful posts! When you’re in Chicago, you should definitely try and eat at Karyn’s on Green (a wonderful vegan place!). Don’t leave w/out trying the steak fries! Some other great vegan places: Karyn’s Cooked and Chicago Diner. For some yummy vegan cupcakes try Molly’s and Swirlz. Running on the lake early in the morning is so wonderful! For a great view, grab a drink at the top of the Hancock. For an eco friendly hotel, check out Felix. Enjoy your trip!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 12, 2010

I love love love roasted potatoes! those look amazing :)

Caitlin July 12, 2010

I was vacationing in Chicago last month and totally fell in love with an Italian restaurant called Quartino. There’s also a nice sandwich place near there called Eleaven. If you’re an area called Wicker Park at all you can check out a nice little place called Ear Wax (awful name but great vegetarian breakfasts).

The Chicago Cultural Centre right downtown has two absolutely astoundingly beautiful stained glass domes (and it’s totally free to see them!) And as tourist-y as it is Millennium park is pretty fun.

Also highly recommend one of the Chicago Architecture Foundation river cruises if you have the time. It’s especially cool if you’re into the history of Chicago.

Have fun!

Sandra July 12, 2010

Try Sepia in Chicago – I adore it there! They were filming a move there last week but should be open again now. It is in the West Loop and really amazing. Similarly Avec or Blackbird are also amazing. Or if you want Mexican hit up Topolobampo or Frontera (Rick Bayless restuarants). If you are looking for recommendations online – try to get into the neighborhoods and out of the Loop. Wicker Park and Bucktown have AMAZING food. So does the West Loop (and Greek Town is close to the West Loop for amazing Greek food). For brunch on Saturday or Sunday you need to be up EARLY to avoid lines but try Feast in Wicker Park, Orange in Lincoln Park (my FAVORITE with frushi – fruit sushi) or Ann Sathers.

Leslie July 12, 2010

I live north of Chicago. I second the Chicago Diner for you…check out their website.
Also not mentioned yet is the top of the Willis Tower (formerly known as Sears Tower). They have these glass ledges that were recently built out from the building..totally cool. The French Market is also a good place to pick up fresh fruit. One of the vendors is also RAW a raw food restaurant. There are many farmer’s markets during the summer…Thursday morning is at Daley Plaza.

I would stop at a Walgreen’s drug store. They sell the CTA unlimited 1 day or 3 day pass there. That way you can explore a lot and save some money without having to walk everywhere. Don’t worry, you’ll get plenty of exercise, but it’s nice to hop on the “El” train for a break and cheaper than taking a cab. If you will be here on a Thursday night, the Art Institute is free from 5-8 p.m. Many people have commented that their favorite tour in Chicago is the architecture boat tours on the Chicago River. They also have a website. (Chicago Architecture Foundation)

Hottix sells available last minute tickets to almost every theatre in the city…you might be able to catch a late night show or matinee cheap. (hottix.org)

People in Chicago are friendly, so don’t be afraid to ask for help finding stuff.

Ashley July 12, 2010

Why hello there. It’s not very nice of you to taunt me with that delicious veggie dinner and not invite a girl over to help eat it! ;) Wish we could have dinner dates weekly!!! I love roasted zucch!!

laura July 12, 2010

im going to HLS!!

i cant wait to meet you! any chance you’ll be selling your bakery products? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Looking forward to meeting you as well :)
I wont be selling the bars BUT I will be donating bars in the swag bags!

Julie @SavvyEats July 12, 2010

I’m going to HLS, too! Can’t wait to meet you!

Leslie July 12, 2010

Yes…I agree about getting out of the Loop for food. The neighborhoods are great, and you can get their with your CTA pass! Also, you would think that restaurants in the Loop would be open on weekends, but MANY are not! It’s more of a Monday-Friday food place. So, double check hours before you head out somewhere.

Laura (Starloz) July 12, 2010

I cant even begin to describe how perfect your pictures are today. im inspired to continue saving money so I can get my Nikon DSLR. oh boy

The maple roasted veggies sounds delicious.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Thnaks! :)

Ashley July 12, 2010

Chicago is so much fun! The architecture boat tour on the river would be my top recommendation for something fun to do. Walking/running/biking along Lake Michigan is also a must and there are beaches on the lake so you could do a little swimming too. You can take bike tours of the city too which is a fun and different way to see the sights and explore.

Can’t help you out in the food department though – when I go to Chicago I’m all about the Chicago-style pizza and the hotdogs (not so healthy and definitely not vegan!).

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 12, 2010

I love roasted asparagus. It’s also really good with a squeeze of lemon.

Katie July 12, 2010

You MUST go to Karyn’s on Green. I saw that a bunch of people already recommended it…and with good reason!!! It’s phenomenal.

Another must go to is this adorable place called Orange. It’s a contemporary, funky little restaurant that serves brunch. Their specialty is frushi, which is fruit sushi!! It’s wonderful!

For a little sweet treat, stop by Molly’s Cupcakes on the north side. So delicious with vegan options as well!

Have fun in my gorgeous city…you’ll fall in love with it:)

bitt July 12, 2010

I love roasted veggies. You are making me very hungry today. I thought I should tell you I was inspired by your cute pictures of cherry soft serve with your oats and posted about it today on my blog. Stole the cherry-on-top idea from you for sure. :-)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 12, 2010

Oh maple syrup roasted veggies sounds great! Man, I can’t believe you get more CSA food in two days. I don’t think I could keep up. That’s a lot of food for two people!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

lol I know and its only a half share…and I probably eat enough for 2 ppl as it is! haha

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies July 12, 2010

I looove roasted veggies – esp asparagus…it’s a totally different flavor!

Kristin (Salty Tooth) July 12, 2010

Love, love asparagus. Especially roasted.

Kristy July 12, 2010

Great post tonight! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that dinner you made…. i frequently make things like that all summer long- roasted zucchini is one of my FAVOURITES!

Great job on making the TO DO list…. I LOVE LIST MAKING and I have made a GIGANTIC one this week- as i leave July 19 for a trip and have a lot to do- here’s hoping i get it all done :)

Lauren July 12, 2010

Mmm I just bought some asparagus today and I’m totally going to try it roasted up like this!

Page 1 of 3123»