Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Good morning!

Surprisingly, I am not sore after the Earthquake run ‘n shake 5 point oh no last night! It must have been all the Polly’s Yoga for runners that I did afterwards. :tongue:

Eric and I also watched The Recruit last night, after deciding that a laid back movie night was much in order!

IMG 0398 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Bum + couch = bliss. ‘nough said.

Eric is home today and tomorrow and he doesn’t have to be anywhere near the G20 Summit. I am very happy that I don’t have to worry about him being there!

We also picked up our CSA box last night…

We both agreed we have never seen green onions this big before!!

IMG 0376 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

IT’S ALIVE!!!

I am officially stock piling Garlic Scapes now! LOL

IMG 0382 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Last week, I didn’t have time to make my Easy Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto but this weekend I vow I will make a huge colossal batch and freeze a bunch of pesto. A reader suggested this to me, and I think it is a wonderful idea. I also heard that the garlic scapes can be used as ‘green beans’ in a stir-fry. Just chop them up and throw them in!

Scapes, spinach, mixed lettuce, asparagus…

IMG 0377 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Asparagus is almost out of season now. *sniff.

IMG 0379 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

IMG 0383 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips IMG 0384 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Fluffy lettuce.

IMG 0387 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Zucchini…

IMG 0388 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Apples with character :biggrin:

IMG 0390 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

IMG 0394 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Mmmmmm, the star of the show!

IMG 0386 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

When life gives you strawberries, make JAM!

IMG 0409 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Last night I whipped up a homemade strawberry jam to use in this morning’s Vegan Overnight Oats.

Easy Homemade Strawberry Jam

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup of strawberries, stems removed and chopped in half
  • Sweetener, to taste (agave, maple syrup, sugar, etc)
  • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds or a bit less (absorbs water)

IMG 0439 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Directions: In a bowl mash strawberries with a fork until a jam-like consistency forms. Add a little sweetener to make the strawberries pop. Now stir in 1/2 tbsp or a bit less of chia seeds into the jam and place in fridge overnight or for 1-2 hours until it thickens.

IMG 0416 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

The strawberry jam was very watery after mashing the strawberries, so I added the chia seeds to absorb the water and to thicken it up. It worked like a charm!!! I am convinced that chia seeds are a pantry essential. They are just so versatile.

The result was fresh, homemade strawberry jam with an antioxidant kick.

IMG 0413 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

My vegan overnight oats this morning were the carob powder variety with a mashed banana mixed in to marinate overnight. I layered with the strawberry jam. I also put a layer of frozen banana (1/4 of a banana broken up into chunks), 1/4 of a Chi Glo Bar, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tsp shredded coconut, and a cherry strawberry on top!

IMG 0418 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

IMG 0425 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Perfecto.

IMG 0433 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

IMG 0435 thumb   Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Keep It Simple Stress Relieving Tips

This morning, I read an article called Tips to eliminate stress in your day on the Huffington Post.

Some of the tips offered by Gretchen Rubin include:

• Never let your car’s gas level fall into the "empty" zone.
  • Put your keys away in the same place every day.
  • Turn out the light as soon as you’re sleepy.
  • Walk around the block.
  • Take 10 minutes before bed to tidy up.
  •  If you have to pack a lunch for anyone, get it ready the night before.
  • Make your bed.

I liked this article because it showed very easy and simple ways that we can reduce stress in our lives without feeling like we have to tackle some huge obstacle in front of us. I am especially guilty for letting my car go into the empty gas zone! I also rarely make the bed in the morning. I do however put my keys in the same spot everyday. I would also like to try implementing this 10 minute tidy up trick before bed. I think that would make a big difference in the morning!

Do you do any things on this list? Are you guilty of not doing any of the above like I am? Do you have any SIMPLE ways to reduce stress on a daily basis?

Jessica @ How Sweet June 24, 2010

I try to do as many of those things as I can. Keeping the house clean, making the bed, and cleaning up after cooking are simple ways that really keep me sane. Otherwise, those little things tend to stress me after days and days.

Krystina (Organically Me) June 24, 2010

That jam looks fantastic!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 24, 2010

Making your bed is soooo important. It makes your bedroom feel like a luxury suite rather than a teenager’s room.
It makes you feel relaxed and indulgent to climb into a cool, crisp, tightly made bed!

Kate June 24, 2010

This is an awesome recipe (from a science blogger – but the woman knows her food) for freezable pesto.
Scroll down a bit for the recipe (and hilarious comments). The gist is that you can (1) add water to the recipe in place of some oil to help it freeze, and (2) freeze it in an ice cube tray (dedicated to garlicky etc. things) for easy thawing (3) don’t add cheese/nutritional yeast before freezing . I love that pesto!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 24, 2010

i LOVE the brilliant red color in those oats from the jam! holy heaven in my mouth :) i love having a clean house to relax in…i don’t clean enough, but when i do and wake up the next day it’s so amazing to just sit back and enjoy it!

Nikki T June 24, 2010

Your VOO look amazing this morning!!

I do most of those simple stress reducing things…but the one I NEED to work on is the gas in the empty zone…I’m guilty of letting the gas light come on before I stop at the fuel station and it makes my Husband furious!!
No one’s perfect… ;)

AngelaOSG June 24, 2010

hahaha Eric gets so mad at me too!!! And then I make him fill it up. lmaooooo

Ilana June 24, 2010

Martha Stewart always suggests making your bed first thing when you get up in the morning – because if the bed is made it tends to make you want to make the rest of the room neat to match. Strange but true.

Colette June 24, 2010

Hi Angela – love your blog! Quick tip with the green onions… if you just use the green part, you can put the white, root part of the onion in a cup of water and they will regrow! No kidding. Try it!

AngelaOSG June 24, 2010

No way! This would pretty much make my life if it works. Will try it. Any size glass will do?

Colette June 24, 2010

Doesn’t really matter what type of glass. The first time I did it I litterally took one of my small drinking glasses, put an inch or so of water in it, plopped in the onion, and voila – green onions in just a day or two!

If you’re more adventurous, you could plant them outside in the garden.

Here’s a link to show I’m not crazy! http://www.cookthink.com/reference/1472/How_to_re-grow_green_onions

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2010

This excites me to NO END!!! haha thanks!

Carrie @ TV and Dinners June 24, 2010

Does your CSA share come all washed and grouped and pretty like that? I’m so jealous — I spend a ton of time cleaning mine up each week. Still, the fresh veggies are worth it. :)

I totally agree with the stress-relieving tip of making your bed each morning. I started it a few years ago out of necessity when I got an apartment where you can see my bedroom from the front door, and I love it! It only takes 3 minutes and it just puts you in a whole different mind state to have a clean, tidy-looking room before you tackle the day.

AngelaOSG June 24, 2010

You can’t tell from the pictures, but the veggies have lots of dirt on them. It is a lot more cleaning indeed, but worth it because I dont feel like I have to clean off any pesticides. Peace of mind I guess.

Kirsten June 24, 2010

I love seeing what you get in your CSA each week. So far I’m getting a lot of the same items as you – I had gigantic spring onions last week too! Crazy how big and how good they were. I’ve been making these green stir-frys for a couple of weeks now and even my meat loving other half declares them delicious. :)

Maria June 24, 2010

The things I do to help relieve stress include working up a sweat at the gym, Bikram yoga, and just being around my friends!

Angela – your CSA produce looks amazing. You’ve inspired me to look for farms in the area that I can get my own!

Maria
kaleandcupcakes.wordpress.com

AngelaOSG June 24, 2010

Enjoy! :) I only wish I started it sooner.

ally June 24, 2010

I am totally guilty of the gas thing too… and the not tidying thing. I’m also guilty of not doing laundry until the absolute last minute and I’m running around trying to get ready for work unable to find underwear…lol. But it’s totally true, taking a bit of time to do these little things can really make a difference! I hate coming home from work to a messy kitchen because I didn’t clean it the night before. The one thing I started doing that has helped is washing my lunch containers in the kitchen at work instead of bringing them home dirty… one less thing to worry about!

Sarah for Real June 24, 2010

I’m totally the worst with the gas thing. I only drive 3 miles to work so I can let it get reeeeally low.

I love the idea of tidying up for 10 minutes each day. Sometimes I tell myself to put away 25 things. It can be anything lying around in any room. Usually it takes 2 minutes and I end up counting 50 things to put away!

Nicole June 24, 2010

I would have to say that making sure the check book is balanced regularly helps me with stress. My husband and I share an account so its good to know where we both stand.

Therese June 24, 2010

LOVE the jam! Thanks for the easy and wonderful recipe!!!

I’ve started implementing a lot of those tricks lately due to the fact that I get so busy with both work and school. I ALWAYS make the bed, it just makes me feel like I’m in control, even if it’s not the best bed-making job. My keys have their spot on the magnetic key holder right beside the door and my most recent addition to conquering stress is the dishes! For almost two weeks now I’ve managed to make sure the dishwasher is empty as SOON as it’s cooled down and to constantly make sure that the dirty dishes go in right away and whatever needs to be washed, gets washed immediately. The longer we leave it, the more stressed I get! It’s been working like a charm and feels GREAT to come home after a 14 hour day and not have to worry about dishes!

claire June 24, 2010

I want to make some jam now! That looks great Angela!

Some of those tips are things that I didn’t do before I was dating my current boyfriend…like just turning out the light as soon as we are sleepy and not letting my gas too low. I always try to clean up a little before bed and put my keys in the same place but the making my bed doesn’t happen on days when I have to be on set at say 5-9am. I always do on the weekend though or if I have a late call time.

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 24, 2010

I love all those tips :) I suffer from stress a lot, so I think they’ll be helpful! Walking definetly helps though. That, and a good run!
LOVE those oats btw – one of the most beautiful yet!

Nicole June 24, 2010

P.S. the jam looks fantastic!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 24, 2010

That jam is so pretty!!!! So vibrant!

Sigh…asparagus season is so short but sweet.

Kelly June 24, 2010

I do all of those things besides tidy up and make my bed :) I am just not a ‘tidy’ person, haha! I should probably try that though.. because for as messy as I am.. I can’t stand a mess!!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 24, 2010

That is the prettiest vegan overnight oats yet!

I have CSA-envy :)

Amber K June 24, 2010

You make me wish my body could digest chia seeds pretty much daily! That looks so pretty and tasty.

Great stress relieving tips!!

Kim June 24, 2010

That jam looks wonderful. Strawberries are out of season here already, but the blackberries and black raspberries are coming on strong! I bet it will work with all those type fruits.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 24, 2010

I’m always losing my keys. haha Major stress there. I keep telling myself to put em in the same spot but I never do.

Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 24, 2010

I don’t know why, but making my bed is SUCH a stress reliever! I do it every morning. I think it’s because my room is tiny so when the bed is made the whole thing looks so much cleaner!

Julie @SavvyEats June 24, 2010

I LOVE the color of the jam layered with your oats. So gorgeous!

We’ve hung little hooks next to both the front and back doors for our keys. That way we always know where they are!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete June 24, 2010

I’m guilty for the gas going to empty before I fill it up. I actually wait until the light goes on. That is really bad! I’m the queen of procrastination, and I know that I would probably be a lot less stressed if I just planned ahead of time once in a while! Thanks for the great tips!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana June 24, 2010

Lay out your clothes the night before..or better yet, plan all your outfits on a Sunday and even iron them. Yes that sounds OCD, but it makes the mornings a breeze!

Please send me copious amounts of your strawberry jam :)

Veggielady4life June 24, 2010

Just want to say… your breakfast is especially gorgeous this morning. As far as simple stress-relievers… I always try to clean the kitchen after I cook. I don’t like leaving dishes piled up… it’s easier to clean in small bursts than one big session.

Kristina June 24, 2010

if I’m stressed out and have time, I take a bath, even if it’s a short one! At work, even a 5 minute chair massage is a HUGE benefit to me :)

I clean dishes AS I cook if possible… entertaining I try to make as much ahead of time so I can enjoy…

that strawberry jam sounds DELICIOUS… and looks SO PRETTY in your oats!

Callie June 24, 2010

Those fruits and veggies look so good. :)
Working out in the morning always seems to make me feel better. It just gets it out of the way and makes me feel energetic the rest of the day.

Sweetie Queen Elbi @ bees n ink June 24, 2010

I love that you get such a variety in your CSA basket. And those apples!! Here is the states, our apples are all GMO globes of scariness!! When I was in Canada a couple of years ago, I was struck by the naturalness of your produce.

Organic rocks… and CSAs are even better!

Saffity June 24, 2010

For me, I don’t drive so I don’t have to worry about gas, I always put my wallet in my purse in the same place. I don’t really walk around the block, but I walk during my lunch a bit. I don’t take 10 minutes to tidy up, which means my place is a disaster right now. I do go to sleep when I’m sleepy (sometimes as early as 9:30) except on weekends when I’m usually up late. I have roommates so I have to prepare my breakfast and lunch the night before so I can just grab it without waking them by making stuff (which is why VOO is so good for me). And I never ever make my bed.

Maybe I should start doing the “nots” a bit more as I do tend to be a very stressed individual.

Carolyn (mealsandmiles.wordpress.com) June 24, 2010

Hi Angela!
I thought you would get a kick out of this:

Too funny! Glad everyone is safe after the quake!

Janet June 24, 2010

I do all of the “de-stressers” 99% of the time. The other 1% reminds me of why I do it the 99%! I can’t tell you the last time (even year) my bed wasn’t made! It really does make a diff! My 12 year old daughter is even “seeing the light” and commented today about how good it feels to come home to a tidy room! (No comment on the 16 year old son! :-))

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 24, 2010

Well last night I sure demonstrated an unhelthy way of dealing with dress – a bottle of red win – lol.

I almost always pack my work lunch the night before.

I like to let my car get to the empty mark where the light comes on just to see how my driving is, If I need to lighten up on the gas peddle to get some better milage out of my car. But my gas light comes on with 50mks left (i pushed it once to where I had no markers (digital gas gauge) I was empty empty) lol.

Lindsay June 24, 2010

It’s official…I’m moving in! Your VOO always look SO.GOOD!!! I should try someday…

Sarah June 24, 2010

That jam looks AMAZING!! I will definitely be trying that tomorrow morning in my oats! How do you come up with all of these ideas?!

This is really sad to admit, but out of those ten things, I only do one of them: packing lunch the night before. I guess I have a lot to work on, but I can see how all of those things would take away some little stressful events throughout the day.

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous June 24, 2010

My car almost always goes into the empty zone before I full up. Sometimes I get so stressed trying to find a gas station!!

I always put my keys in the same place every day….my purse which is a succubus vortex of evil and once something goes in, it never comes out!

I always sleep with the light on (or at least the tv). The boyfriend turns it off when he comes to bed.

I try to walk my puppy as often as possible but I need to do better.

I try to tidy up a little bit everyday. Last night I was a machine and mopped the floors and vaccuumed. We are going out of town today and I have to leave my home PRISTINE so when I come back the only thing I have to deal with is unpacking.

I usually pack lunch the night before.

I make the bed most days. If my boyfriend is still in bed when I leave for work it doesn’t get done. Ha.

Heidi June 24, 2010

I always put my keys in the same place and normally make the bed. It’s amazing how much cleaner the bedroom looks when the bed is made. I try to do a lot of the other things, and I’m always feel calmer and less stressed when I do.

Page 1 of 3123»