Simple Stress Relieving Tips

Good morning!

Surprisingly, I am not sore after the Earthquake run ‘n shake 5 point oh no last night! It must have been all the Polly’s Yoga for runners that I did afterwards. :tongue:

Eric and I also watched The Recruit last night, after deciding that a laid back movie night was much in order!

IMG_0398

Bum + couch = bliss. ‘nough said.

Eric is home today and tomorrow and he doesn’t have to be anywhere near the G20 Summit. I am very happy that I don’t have to worry about him being there!

We also picked up our CSA box last night…

We both agreed we have never seen green onions this big before!!

IMG_0376

IT’S ALIVE!!!

I am officially stock piling Garlic Scapes now! LOL

IMG_0382

Last week, I didn’t have time to make my Easy Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto but this weekend I vow I will make a huge colossal batch and freeze a bunch of pesto. A reader suggested this to me, and I think it is a wonderful idea. I also heard that the garlic scapes can be used as ‘green beans’ in a stir-fry. Just chop them up and throw them in!

Scapes, spinach, mixed lettuce, asparagus…

IMG_0377

Asparagus is almost out of season now. *sniff.

IMG_0379

IMG_0383 IMG_0384

Fluffy lettuce.

IMG_0387

Zucchini…

IMG_0388

Apples with character :biggrin:

IMG_0390

IMG_0394

Mmmmmm, the star of the show!

IMG_0386

When life gives you strawberries, make JAM!

IMG_0409

Last night I whipped up a homemade strawberry jam to use in this morning’s Vegan Overnight Oats.

Easy Homemade Strawberry Jam

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup of strawberries, stems removed and chopped in half
  • Sweetener, to taste (agave, maple syrup, sugar, etc)
  • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds or a bit less (absorbs water)

IMG_0439

Directions: In a bowl mash strawberries with a fork until a jam-like consistency forms. Add a little sweetener to make the strawberries pop. Now stir in 1/2 tbsp or a bit less of chia seeds into the jam and place in fridge overnight or for 1-2 hours until it thickens.

IMG_0416

The strawberry jam was very watery after mashing the strawberries, so I added the chia seeds to absorb the water and to thicken it up. It worked like a charm!!! I am convinced that chia seeds are a pantry essential. They are just so versatile.

The result was fresh, homemade strawberry jam with an antioxidant kick.

IMG_0413

My vegan overnight oats this morning were the carob powder variety with a mashed banana mixed in to marinate overnight. I layered with the strawberry jam. I also put a layer of frozen banana (1/4 of a banana broken up into chunks), 1/4 of a Chi Glo Bar, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tsp shredded coconut, and a cherry strawberry on top!

IMG_0418

IMG_0425

Perfecto.

IMG_0433

IMG_0435

Keep It Simple Stress Relieving Tips

This morning, I read an article called Tips to eliminate stress in your day on the Huffington Post.

Some of the tips offered by Gretchen Rubin include:

• Never let your car’s gas level fall into the "empty" zone.
  • Put your keys away in the same place every day.
  • Turn out the light as soon as you’re sleepy.
  • Walk around the block.
  • Take 10 minutes before bed to tidy up.
  •  If you have to pack a lunch for anyone, get it ready the night before.
  • Make your bed.

I liked this article because it showed very easy and simple ways that we can reduce stress in our lives without feeling like we have to tackle some huge obstacle in front of us. I am especially guilty for letting my car go into the empty gas zone! I also rarely make the bed in the morning. I do however put my keys in the same spot everyday. I would also like to try implementing this 10 minute tidy up trick before bed. I think that would make a big difference in the morning!

Do you do any things on this list? Are you guilty of not doing any of the above like I am? Do you have any SIMPLE ways to reduce stress on a daily basis?

1 Jessica @ How Sweet June 24, 2010

I try to do as many of those things as I can. Keeping the house clean, making the bed, and cleaning up after cooking are simple ways that really keep me sane. Otherwise, those little things tend to stress me after days and days.

2 Krystina (Organically Me) June 24, 2010

That jam looks fantastic!

3 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 24, 2010

Making your bed is soooo important. It makes your bedroom feel like a luxury suite rather than a teenager’s room.
It makes you feel relaxed and indulgent to climb into a cool, crisp, tightly made bed!

4 Kate June 24, 2010

This is an awesome recipe (from a science blogger – but the woman knows her food) for freezable pesto.
Scroll down a bit for the recipe (and hilarious comments). The gist is that you can (1) add water to the recipe in place of some oil to help it freeze, and (2) freeze it in an ice cube tray (dedicated to garlicky etc. things) for easy thawing (3) don’t add cheese/nutritional yeast before freezing . I love that pesto!

5 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 24, 2010

i LOVE the brilliant red color in those oats from the jam! holy heaven in my mouth :) i love having a clean house to relax in…i don’t clean enough, but when i do and wake up the next day it’s so amazing to just sit back and enjoy it!

6 Nikki T June 24, 2010

Your VOO look amazing this morning!!

I do most of those simple stress reducing things…but the one I NEED to work on is the gas in the empty zone…I’m guilty of letting the gas light come on before I stop at the fuel station and it makes my Husband furious!!
No one’s perfect… ;)

7 AngelaOSG June 24, 2010

hahaha Eric gets so mad at me too!!! And then I make him fill it up. lmaooooo

8 Ilana June 24, 2010

Martha Stewart always suggests making your bed first thing when you get up in the morning – because if the bed is made it tends to make you want to make the rest of the room neat to match. Strange but true.

9 Colette June 24, 2010

Hi Angela – love your blog! Quick tip with the green onions… if you just use the green part, you can put the white, root part of the onion in a cup of water and they will regrow! No kidding. Try it!

10 AngelaOSG June 24, 2010

No way! This would pretty much make my life if it works. Will try it. Any size glass will do?

11 Colette June 24, 2010

Doesn’t really matter what type of glass. The first time I did it I litterally took one of my small drinking glasses, put an inch or so of water in it, plopped in the onion, and voila – green onions in just a day or two!

If you’re more adventurous, you could plant them outside in the garden.

Here’s a link to show I’m not crazy! http://www.cookthink.com/reference/1472/How_to_re-grow_green_onions

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2010

This excites me to NO END!!! haha thanks!

13 Carrie @ TV and Dinners June 24, 2010

Does your CSA share come all washed and grouped and pretty like that? I’m so jealous — I spend a ton of time cleaning mine up each week. Still, the fresh veggies are worth it. :)

I totally agree with the stress-relieving tip of making your bed each morning. I started it a few years ago out of necessity when I got an apartment where you can see my bedroom from the front door, and I love it! It only takes 3 minutes and it just puts you in a whole different mind state to have a clean, tidy-looking room before you tackle the day.

14 AngelaOSG June 24, 2010

You can’t tell from the pictures, but the veggies have lots of dirt on them. It is a lot more cleaning indeed, but worth it because I dont feel like I have to clean off any pesticides. Peace of mind I guess.

15 Kirsten June 24, 2010

I love seeing what you get in your CSA each week. So far I’m getting a lot of the same items as you – I had gigantic spring onions last week too! Crazy how big and how good they were. I’ve been making these green stir-frys for a couple of weeks now and even my meat loving other half declares them delicious. :)

16 Maria June 24, 2010

The things I do to help relieve stress include working up a sweat at the gym, Bikram yoga, and just being around my friends!

Angela – your CSA produce looks amazing. You’ve inspired me to look for farms in the area that I can get my own!

Maria
kaleandcupcakes.wordpress.com

17 AngelaOSG June 24, 2010

Enjoy! :) I only wish I started it sooner.

18 ally June 24, 2010

I am totally guilty of the gas thing too… and the not tidying thing. I’m also guilty of not doing laundry until the absolute last minute and I’m running around trying to get ready for work unable to find underwear…lol. But it’s totally true, taking a bit of time to do these little things can really make a difference! I hate coming home from work to a messy kitchen because I didn’t clean it the night before. The one thing I started doing that has helped is washing my lunch containers in the kitchen at work instead of bringing them home dirty… one less thing to worry about!

19 Sarah for Real June 24, 2010

I’m totally the worst with the gas thing. I only drive 3 miles to work so I can let it get reeeeally low.

I love the idea of tidying up for 10 minutes each day. Sometimes I tell myself to put away 25 things. It can be anything lying around in any room. Usually it takes 2 minutes and I end up counting 50 things to put away!

20 Nicole June 24, 2010

I would have to say that making sure the check book is balanced regularly helps me with stress. My husband and I share an account so its good to know where we both stand.

21 Therese June 24, 2010

LOVE the jam! Thanks for the easy and wonderful recipe!!!

I’ve started implementing a lot of those tricks lately due to the fact that I get so busy with both work and school. I ALWAYS make the bed, it just makes me feel like I’m in control, even if it’s not the best bed-making job. My keys have their spot on the magnetic key holder right beside the door and my most recent addition to conquering stress is the dishes! For almost two weeks now I’ve managed to make sure the dishwasher is empty as SOON as it’s cooled down and to constantly make sure that the dirty dishes go in right away and whatever needs to be washed, gets washed immediately. The longer we leave it, the more stressed I get! It’s been working like a charm and feels GREAT to come home after a 14 hour day and not have to worry about dishes!

22 claire June 24, 2010

I want to make some jam now! That looks great Angela!

Some of those tips are things that I didn’t do before I was dating my current boyfriend…like just turning out the light as soon as we are sleepy and not letting my gas too low. I always try to clean up a little before bed and put my keys in the same place but the making my bed doesn’t happen on days when I have to be on set at say 5-9am. I always do on the weekend though or if I have a late call time.

23 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 24, 2010

I love all those tips :) I suffer from stress a lot, so I think they’ll be helpful! Walking definetly helps though. That, and a good run!
LOVE those oats btw – one of the most beautiful yet!

24 Nicole June 24, 2010

P.S. the jam looks fantastic!

25 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 24, 2010

That jam is so pretty!!!! So vibrant!

Sigh…asparagus season is so short but sweet.

26 Kelly June 24, 2010

I do all of those things besides tidy up and make my bed :) I am just not a ‘tidy’ person, haha! I should probably try that though.. because for as messy as I am.. I can’t stand a mess!!

27 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 24, 2010

That is the prettiest vegan overnight oats yet!

I have CSA-envy :)

28 Amber K June 24, 2010

You make me wish my body could digest chia seeds pretty much daily! That looks so pretty and tasty.

Great stress relieving tips!!

29 Kim June 24, 2010

That jam looks wonderful. Strawberries are out of season here already, but the blackberries and black raspberries are coming on strong! I bet it will work with all those type fruits.

30 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 24, 2010

I’m always losing my keys. haha Major stress there. I keep telling myself to put em in the same spot but I never do.

31 Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 24, 2010

I don’t know why, but making my bed is SUCH a stress reliever! I do it every morning. I think it’s because my room is tiny so when the bed is made the whole thing looks so much cleaner!

32 Julie @SavvyEats June 24, 2010

I LOVE the color of the jam layered with your oats. So gorgeous!

We’ve hung little hooks next to both the front and back doors for our keys. That way we always know where they are!

33 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete June 24, 2010

I’m guilty for the gas going to empty before I fill it up. I actually wait until the light goes on. That is really bad! I’m the queen of procrastination, and I know that I would probably be a lot less stressed if I just planned ahead of time once in a while! Thanks for the great tips!

34 Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana June 24, 2010

Lay out your clothes the night before..or better yet, plan all your outfits on a Sunday and even iron them. Yes that sounds OCD, but it makes the mornings a breeze!

Please send me copious amounts of your strawberry jam :)

35 Veggielady4life June 24, 2010

Just want to say… your breakfast is especially gorgeous this morning. As far as simple stress-relievers… I always try to clean the kitchen after I cook. I don’t like leaving dishes piled up… it’s easier to clean in small bursts than one big session.

36 Kristina June 24, 2010

if I’m stressed out and have time, I take a bath, even if it’s a short one! At work, even a 5 minute chair massage is a HUGE benefit to me :)

I clean dishes AS I cook if possible… entertaining I try to make as much ahead of time so I can enjoy…

that strawberry jam sounds DELICIOUS… and looks SO PRETTY in your oats!

37 Callie June 24, 2010

Those fruits and veggies look so good. :)
Working out in the morning always seems to make me feel better. It just gets it out of the way and makes me feel energetic the rest of the day.

38 Sweetie Queen Elbi @ bees n ink June 24, 2010

I love that you get such a variety in your CSA basket. And those apples!! Here is the states, our apples are all GMO globes of scariness!! When I was in Canada a couple of years ago, I was struck by the naturalness of your produce.

Organic rocks… and CSAs are even better!

39 Saffity June 24, 2010

For me, I don’t drive so I don’t have to worry about gas, I always put my wallet in my purse in the same place. I don’t really walk around the block, but I walk during my lunch a bit. I don’t take 10 minutes to tidy up, which means my place is a disaster right now. I do go to sleep when I’m sleepy (sometimes as early as 9:30) except on weekends when I’m usually up late. I have roommates so I have to prepare my breakfast and lunch the night before so I can just grab it without waking them by making stuff (which is why VOO is so good for me). And I never ever make my bed.

Maybe I should start doing the “nots” a bit more as I do tend to be a very stressed individual.

40 Carolyn (mealsandmiles.wordpress.com) June 24, 2010

Hi Angela!
I thought you would get a kick out of this:

Too funny! Glad everyone is safe after the quake!

41 Janet June 24, 2010

I do all of the “de-stressers” 99% of the time. The other 1% reminds me of why I do it the 99%! I can’t tell you the last time (even year) my bed wasn’t made! It really does make a diff! My 12 year old daughter is even “seeing the light” and commented today about how good it feels to come home to a tidy room! (No comment on the 16 year old son! :-))

42 Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 24, 2010

Well last night I sure demonstrated an unhelthy way of dealing with dress – a bottle of red win – lol.

I almost always pack my work lunch the night before.

I like to let my car get to the empty mark where the light comes on just to see how my driving is, If I need to lighten up on the gas peddle to get some better milage out of my car. But my gas light comes on with 50mks left (i pushed it once to where I had no markers (digital gas gauge) I was empty empty) lol.

43 Lindsay June 24, 2010

It’s official…I’m moving in! Your VOO always look SO.GOOD!!! I should try someday…

44 Sarah June 24, 2010

That jam looks AMAZING!! I will definitely be trying that tomorrow morning in my oats! How do you come up with all of these ideas?!

This is really sad to admit, but out of those ten things, I only do one of them: packing lunch the night before. I guess I have a lot to work on, but I can see how all of those things would take away some little stressful events throughout the day.

45 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous June 24, 2010

My car almost always goes into the empty zone before I full up. Sometimes I get so stressed trying to find a gas station!!

I always put my keys in the same place every day….my purse which is a succubus vortex of evil and once something goes in, it never comes out!

I always sleep with the light on (or at least the tv). The boyfriend turns it off when he comes to bed.

I try to walk my puppy as often as possible but I need to do better.

I try to tidy up a little bit everyday. Last night I was a machine and mopped the floors and vaccuumed. We are going out of town today and I have to leave my home PRISTINE so when I come back the only thing I have to deal with is unpacking.

I usually pack lunch the night before.

I make the bed most days. If my boyfriend is still in bed when I leave for work it doesn’t get done. Ha.

46 Heidi June 24, 2010

I always put my keys in the same place and normally make the bed. It’s amazing how much cleaner the bedroom looks when the bed is made. I try to do a lot of the other things, and I’m always feel calmer and less stressed when I do.

47 Sara June 24, 2010

* Never let your car’s gas level fall into the “empty” zone.
>Sadly, I pretty much always let my car’s gas level go below the “empty” zone!
* Put your keys away in the same place every day.
>I always out my keys in the same place and make sure they are visible!
* Turn out the light as soon as you’re sleepy.
>Whenever I’m sleepy I turn off the light. If I feel like reading, I use a small night light so the room is still nice and dark.
* Walk around the block.
>Nope, sometimes I do but I usually go for a run or swim instead.
* Take 10 minutes before bed to tidy up.
>I should really start doing this. I still haven’t fully unpacked everything I took with me for college last semester…
* If you have to pack a lunch for anyone, get it ready the night before.
>At my house, lunch is always cooked and ready the night before.
* Make your bed.
>For some reason when I’m home I never do this…at college I do though. I should probably start making my bed at home as well.
My Stress Tips:
1. Read a book before bed
2. Wake up early and have a relaxed (non-rushed) breakfast.
3. Eat at a table
4. Keep an agenda for appointments and things you need to get done
5. I keep all my clocks at least 5 minutes fast so I am always early.
6. Drink hot tea before going to bed

48 Wei-Wei June 24, 2010

These are some great tips! You’re getting mighty creative with your VOO parfaits there ;) keep it up! It looks absolutely delicious. :D

Wei-Wei

49 Jackie June 24, 2010

The jam looks so tasty. How do you come up with all these great/yummy ideas??? I can’t wait till our local Valley strawberries are out so I can give it a try.

50 Jo June 24, 2010

Very wise de-stressing tips. Walking around the block is my favorite go-to move right now.

Also that strawberry thing looks amazing!

51 AGS June 24, 2010

Hmmm. I guess I really fall outside of the mix on this one. I think these things are fairly unimportant. Stress for me comes from work and and relationships. Everything else doesn’t matter. Maybe I’m just not wired to “the little things”. I suppose the philosophy is: if you deal with the big things, then the little things just take care of themselves, or if they don’t take care of themselves, they don’t matter. (But this could be because I spend so little time in my home, so I really hardly know what it looks like during waking hours.)

52 Paige (RAN) June 24, 2010

Awesome idea to add chia seeds to make jam. It looks marvelous!
I try to do as many things on the list as I can. One thing that gets done every single morning is making the bed. If I don’t get it, my husband does. The ones that I slack on is making lunch before bed ( I make mine, but not the husband’s…he gets the short end of the stick because it rarely gets made in the morning too!) and placing me keys in the same spot. I use different bags for different jobs, but use the same set of keys, so it can be hard to keep up.

53 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 24, 2010

That jam would make such a good waffle or pancake topping!

Writing out to-do lists is my number one way to reduce stress. Having everything written out helps to stop me from going over and over the list in my mind.

54 Liz June 24, 2010

I can’t wait to try making jam!! Do you think it would work with frozen strawberries? Or just fresh ones?

55 Dorry June 24, 2010

I’m afraid I let my gas tank get to empty FAR too often! But I like this list – some very simple, effective ideas. :)

56 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 24, 2010

I do a lot of those, but generally keeping my house clutter free helps me avoid stress. If papers or junk pile up I get anxious.

57 Hillary June 24, 2010

An easy freezing tip for the pesto is freeze it in ice cube trays then it is already in a single serving and you can just pop one out when you need it

58 Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 24, 2010

Ooooooooooo, that looks mawvelous dawlink!

Never let your car’s gas level fall into the “empty” zone. – I’ve only done this a half a dozen times and the hubby always tells me….what were you thinking…uh that’s just it, I wasn’t…LOL!

Put your keys away in the same place every day – I highly advise this, as we get older, that tends to be one of the most vital things to remember.

Turn out the light as soon as you’re sleepy – Gosh I’ve never heard this one, but it sounds good.

Walk around the block – Not when it’s 105 heat index…doh!

Take 10 minutes before bed to tidy up – I do like to have my sink empty of dirty dishes before I go to bed though.

If you have to pack a lunch for anyone, get it ready the night before – Always, in fact I make my GMs and my hubbies smoothies the night before.

Make your bed – Always like to have a made up bed…I know, the hubby thinks it’s goofy cause we’re gonna mess it up anyway…LOL! Mom always said, have your bed made, you never know who’s gonna visit surprisingly. :)

My addition to this, I always get my clothes ready for the next day…always!

59 jenna June 24, 2010

mmm…fresh strawberry jam with out gelatin….sound devine!

60 Sarah June 24, 2010

I do all of these things :) I’m farely OCD about cleaning ie I wash all my pots/pans before I eat my meal and will pack my lunch for work the next day before dinner. I just function better in a clean environment!

I’ve found that listening to a 10-15 min. nighttime meditation in bed with the lights off really helps me relax physically and mentally so my mind isn’t racing! Plus a good sweat session always helps burn some stress :)

61 Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks June 24, 2010

Cuh-razy nice looking parfait there, Angela!! And what an awesome idea to use chia seeds to thicken up the jam! I am definitely going to do this jam recipe.

62 Mikki June 24, 2010

I always make hubby’s lunch the day before (no time at night!) but I am AWFUL about the keys. I never know where they are like currently I am using the “spare” key as my own key because I seem to have misplaced my giant jumble of keys…again (see: always)

Thank goodness your hubby is home safe with you today and not downtown in the madness. Maybe he could prep everything for your garlic scape pesto?? (a gal can dream right?)

63 Heather Baedke June 24, 2010

oh my goodness your strawberry oats looks fabulous! What kind of carob powder do you use?

Thank you!

64 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 24, 2010

I need to add the make the bed and the clean up 10 minutes each night. I think that could make a big difference and make my weekend tasks so much less daunting. Sometimes I’m really good about leaving my car keys in the same place, and sometimes I’m not. I get much better about these types of things when I’m in a routine but lately I’ve been traveling way too much for work!

65 Sarah June 24, 2010

Love the stress relief tips! Especially making your bed and leaving your keys in the same place every night – I do those and they definitely help! I have a problem with not letting your gas gauge reach “empty” though – I’m so bad about that!

66 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 24, 2010

I think you should have a page JUST for your Vegan Overnight Oats. The are seriously the most amazing photos!

67 Janine June 24, 2010

I’ve been in love with scapes from the first time you mentioned them. Went out the very next weekend to the farmer’s market and loaded up. So much fun….these veggies have some serious personality! A recipe that I found that I am IN LOVE with….think that maybe you’d like it, so I’m sharing quickly. I don’t remember where I found it, but there are many variations on the web.

White bean/scape dip:
4 scapes, chopped
1 can any type white bean, drained and rinsed (I use great northern)
Juice from 1/2 lemon (or lime…interesting twist)
1-2 T. EVOO (I’ve used both, and both times w/ great results)
1-2 T. water (for consistency)
Salt and pepper if desired
Hot pepper flakes if you want kick (haven’t tried this yet)

Process scapes & lemon until well blended. Add beans, EVOO, salt, pepper and process again. Add water until desired consistency.

I can’t get enough of this. So easy…so yummy. To me, it falls somewhere between a guacamole & hummus taste. I LOVE to dump a layer on a tortilla, add tons of lettuce, tomato, etc. & sunflower seeds, and chow down. Or as a dip for crackers, cukes…..

Love your blog, Ange. It’s the only one that I follow faithfully…and I thoroughly enjoy every ounce of wisdom and adventure that you share. Thank-you!

68 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 24, 2010

I so agree with those stress tips. I love the strawberry jam, I need to make my own non loaded with sugar homemade jam.

69 Lauren Modeen June 24, 2010

Thanks for these little de-stress tips! It’s funny how such little things can lead to so much stress if left unchecked. By being a little more diligent, you can live so much more peacefully.

Another thing I try to do to keep stress away is “compartmentalize.” Annoying and unfortunate things happen all the time, but if you chalk it up to the “cost of operating as a human” it makes things easier. For example: car expenses are a huge pain for me, and I always feel so frustrated spending hard earned $ on fixing things I didn’t even knew existed (eg; certain car parts). But if you “compartmentalize” that the car expenses are just part of being alive, I find that it isn’t as upsetting!

Nice job on the jam. I’ll definitely be giving that a try :)

70 Kate June 24, 2010

I take 20 minutes each day to do something cleaning-wise. Whether it’s vacuuming, scrubbing the shower, dusting, laundry, etc… it helps to keep things clean on a constant basis so I’m not spending 4 hours on my Saturday morning CLEANING! I also have disposable wipes I keep underneath my bathroom sink that I use to wipe down the counter every other day. And I keep my make up in a basket that I can easily put in the drawer after I use it in the morning. Keeps things from being cluttered in the bathroom! :) Woah, after reading this I realized I’m a little obsessive about being clean!

71 Mary June 24, 2010

I need to follow the advice on the car keys… I think I lose my keys at least three times a week.

72 Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 24, 2010

That definitely looks better than any jam I’ve seen on shevles!

73 Mary June 24, 2010

I also belong to a CSA. I have for a couple years now and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
I’m so guilty of letting my gas tank get waaaay to low. It drives my husband crazy. I do make my bed everyday. My mom always taught us to do that and she always said it makes the whole room feel cozier…which is so true! I love when I take the time to tidy up before bedtime. It starts my morning off so much better when I walk down the stairs in the morning and I see that everything is put away.

74 bitt June 24, 2010

chia does deserve to be a staple in everyone’s house! wish it was more widely available and cheaper for most people.

love your pictures.

75 Erin June 24, 2010

That strawberry jam is GORGEOUS!

76 Marina June 24, 2010

My stress-relieving tips are focused more so on the mind aspect of stress but I’ll share them anyway because I don’t think they are too “out there” :P

– let go of the urgency to know what the future holds. Accept uncertainty and limited control
– practice mindfulness and relaxation through breathing deeply and focusing your mind on the present moment
– make sure to completely relax (both body and mind) before you go to sleep. If you fall asleep stressed out or angry, you will wake up feeling the same way

77 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini June 24, 2010

I love stress busting tips and I love Gretchen!

* I don’t have a car, it really helps my stress levels!
* My keys live in a dish on the sideboard. I know where they are all the time.
* Sometimes I fall asleep before I turn the light off
* Always walking and cycling.
* Always clear up before bed. It’s nice to wake up to a tidy house
* Always pack my lunch the night before
* Himself always makes the bed

78 sassy molassy June 24, 2010

your 5k post from last night was hilarious btw. Loved the ribbon you made yourself! ANd that strawberry jam idea is GENIUS! Any chance glo bar shipping will come down in price? I wanted to order some last night, but realized that to ship to OR it would cost $25. Yikes.

79 Kris | iheartwellness.com June 24, 2010

I love these tips!

I follow almost all of them anyways…I am very “like that” same thing before bed. Always put the mail, keys, cellphone in the same place. Make breakfast at the exact same time!

Lol, sometimes maybe I just need to leave my keys in another room to keep me on my toes ;)

Great looking jam!

xxoo

80 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 24, 2010

Great tips, and love the looks of that fresh jam, yum!

I don’t do ANY of those tips… but I think I should! Esp keeping my keys in the same place and tidying before bed!

I always settle down with a warm mug of tea to get ready for bed. It’s great at the end of a stressful day!

xo
Kris

81 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 24, 2010

What lovely jam!!!
oooh and I made basil pesto last night – so delish!

82 Katherine June 24, 2010

I’ve actually been doing a lot of those things lately (I’ve been working with someone to reduce my stress level). It’s so the little things that can alleviate tension/make you feel better. Your layered glass looks wonderful,too!

83 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 24, 2010

I do almost everything on that list. I’m still over-stressed, though. lol :D

Jenn

84 Gypsy June 24, 2010

oooo – crisp, clean, tight sheets are one of my favorite things!! Love a made bed…it’s such a grandma rule but it really does make a difference!

I emailed my fiance a picture of your latest VOO creation as a teaser for tomorrow morning :)
i just made homemade jam 2 days ago with my strawberries that were getting a bit too overripe but next time I’ll use chia seeds–

My tidy up trick: Never leave a room empty handed. There’s always something that needs to be put away.

85 Sabina June 25, 2010

I stumbled across your blog from Averie’s (Loves Veggies and Yoga). Thanks for sharing those stress-relieving tips. I am a HUGE proponent of getting everything for the next day ready the night before (especially lunches!). It took my husband a while to get comfortable with this system, but after seeing how easy it made mornings, he’s now converted. :-)

86 Nicole June 25, 2010

I picked up my house for 10 min’s before I went to bed last night. It is amazing how much you can get done. I walked down stairs this morning…and it felt wonderful!

87 Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 25, 2010

I love the tips! I follow those myself!!! I also like to hike in the woods, go to the cell phone lot at the airport to watch airplanes land and take off, cook or bake something new, and read your bloggie, of course!

AND HELLO?! STRAWBERRY JAM WITH CHIA? OMG TOO SMART!!!!!

88 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 25, 2010

The only one that I do is put my keys in the same place every day.

Your oats look so beautiful!

89 kellyO June 25, 2010

This breakfast is what finally convinced me to try overnight oats. Wow! I wasn’t as fancy, no layers, just overnight oats and mashed up strawberries. This was absolutely wonderful!

90 Charlie July 14, 2010

I made this jam for this morning and it was delicious! I tried overnight oats for the first time and I must say, it is really the best breakfast to have in the summer!

91 Bek May 4, 2012

Do you think you could do a full jar recipe for homemade jam that can keep in the fridge? I am looking for a jam with no added sugar and think chia seeds will be a great thickening agent!