The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 23, 2010

Greetings! (aka: Hellllloooooooo)

What a day!

So interesting to read all of your comments about your earthquake experience today. The news is now reporting that it was a Magnitude 5.0 earthquake that originated in Quebec from 18 km in the ground. Crazy!

However, I carried on. I had a race to fuel for and lots of work to do!

The theme of my pre-race eats = Green, Carbo, Clean!

Ezekiel toast with curried couscous and basil…

IMG_0274

I got up from the table and promptly put some salsa on it. Perfect-o!

IMG_0285

With a Green Juice

IMG_0354

Note- this is the first time my juicer has ever gotten any juice out of a leafy green before! I have tried juicing kale before and did not get a drop of juice out of it. I’m not sure what I did differently with this spinach, but it came pouring out. I think it might have been due to placing a couple items on top of the spinach (lemon, apple) to hold it in place…

The juice contained spinach, 1/2 a lemon, 1/2 a cuke, and a tiny apple.

IMG_0352

Yum!

Dessert was Trader Joe’s Fair Trade Dark Chocolate! LOVE this chocolate so much. My heart goes pitter patter.

IMG_0358

8 squares for good measure!

IMG_0359

Afternoon fueling snacks were a Liberate Raw + GF Glo Bar

IMG_0362

A TJ’s Raspberry Fruit Leather…

IMG_0365

I used to eat fruit leather all the time as a teenager. I’d like to make my own in the food dehydrator, actually! Specifically dried mangoes…oodles and oodles of dried mangoes. Mmmmmm.

IMG_0366

….and late afternoon, a Green Monster. I wasn’t sure how to fuel for an evening race, so I figured Green Monsters were always fine with previous races so I decided on that! Can’t go wrong with a monstaaaa.

IMG_0268

It contained: 1 tbsp peanut butter, 2 cups Red Russian Kale (that was the mystery veggie from last week’s CSA!), 1 cup hemp milk, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Powder, 1 tbsp chia seeds, ice, ice, baby.

IMG_0272

It was thick and chewy. :ermm: I might have good news on a new blender coming soon though…

So yes, I was fueled up.

But I was still undecided about the 5-mile race in Toronto. This called for a phone call consultation to OSGMOM. She was less than thrilled for me to be going given all the crazy circumstances today. I also consulted Karly.

She said…

I think there have been enough warning signs today to give yourself permission to not go to this race:
1. Earthquake
2. Crazy protests in Toronto
3. Sweltering heat
4. Torrential downpours/severe thunderstorms expected tonight
5. Possible looming tornado!!!!!

Do you need anymore reasons? :biggrin:

Sometimes all you need is a worried mother and friend to tell it like it is. Reluctantly, I made the call to skip the race, BUT to make things fun for myself, I hosted my own race, much like Caitlin did with the Chickpea Masala 10k Race.

I called it….

The Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh…No

IMG_1526

I didn’t have much time to advertise though, so the turn out was a bit less than expected!

IMG_1691

To my surprise, I was in the FIRST Corral, so that right there was a confidence booster. Sadly, I did not see any elite runners though. I think they were ‘running’ late.

Then, the horn sounded and off I went, filled with adrenaline!

Mile 1:

Right from the start of this race I knew it would be a struggle. The air was thick and humid and the temperature was 29C with a humidity of 37C! The air felt like a damp cloth that had been sitting in a steam room. Gross. Luckily I had my Camelbak on me and it was full with COLD water, so I was good to go. The Camelbak has made my runs SO much better. Having water easily accessible on a run is truly amazing. I am used to the extra weight now too so that is not a factor.

• Mile 1 time = 8:15 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate = 162 bpm
  • Max heart rate =  174 bpm

Mile 2:

The storm clouds rolled in and the wind picked up!

IMG_1670

Hence, ‘OH NO’

I knew right then and there that I had to turn back because the storm was approaching quicker than expected. I pictured the ground opening up and swallowing me whole, but I persisted on. I figured if it did, that would be a pretty cool way to kick the bucket. The wind was refreshing, yet it made the run much more difficult. I was able to pick up a bit of speed despite this.

• Mile 2 time = 8:12 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate = 167 bpm
  • Max heart rate =  174 bpm

Mile 3:

It started to rain during the last 0.5 mile stretch and this was great inspiration to boot it home! I ran fast and I ran hard. I decided a 5k race would have to do! During the last 1/4 mile it POURED rain and I felt like I was in the Amazing Race or something. That, or I was Rocky. Probably Rocky actually.

• Mile 3 time = 7:50 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate = 166 bpm
  • Max heart rate =  182 bpm (sprinting at the end! Wheeee)

3 mile race stats:

• Time: 24:17 min/mile
    • Avg pace: 8:06 min/mile

IMG_1679

[That is not all sweat… it was raining too! But yea, it’s mostly all sweat I guess. lol]

As I approached the ‘finish line’ no one was in sight and amazingly, I WON the race! :lol: I even took home this awesome 1st place ribbon!

IMG_1685

I can assure you, I will not be taking this bad boy off for a while.

I have some post-race fuel waiting to be consumed. Have a good night!

Tami June 23, 2010 at 6:09 pm

How awesome is it that you made your own ribbon! I love it.

Laura June 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I am literally laughing out loud right now! :-) This may be one of your best posts yet, Mrs. OSG!

Amy June 23, 2010 at 6:16 pm

OMG Ange, I laughed my butt off reading this post!!!! You go girlie! I never doubted for a second that you could win that race! As far as that monster…I’ll be honest, bleh! lol I gag just looking at it, but the juice looks amazing! Did you need a spoon to get it down? You are hard-core, woman!

Callie June 23, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Haha. Congrats on first place. :)
    I used to looove fruit leathers. So chewy and fruity.

Alanna @ Blood, Sweat & Cupcakes June 23, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Haha! what a fantastic idea! Holding your own race :) Congrats on first place LOL

Good call on skipping the race, it’s a crazy day!

Kelly June 23, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I love the ribbon, absolutely beautiful!

Congratulations, you should be very proud of yourself. ;)
    Waiittt..what protests in Toronto?

Kristina June 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

you are SO cute. of course you totally won!! :)

you are so fun, you made me smile and laugh and now my dog is looking at me and dancing around… :)

Aneta June 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

congrats on the race!
    super duper cute! u r fabulously creative!
    ya i was supposed to go out running, but settled for yoga and 30 day shred. it is bad out there!

Katy S. June 23, 2010 at 6:20 pm

This post is awesome! Totally made me laugh.

Samantha June 23, 2010 at 6:20 pm

You are so cute!!! What a great idea hosting your own race. I had to laugh about the elite runners. I think they got lost since the race was last minute. Love your ribbon. That’s one to definitely brag about! You know…I think it’s selling for 100,000 on ebay. Something about a “rare” and hard to find ribbon! Great job!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 23, 2010 at 6:23 pm

HAhahahaaaaaaaa. this is beautiful!

I was wondering if you were up to something sneaky like this!! Love the ribbon!!

Through my raw food course, I found some interesting organic/raw Canadian websites!! I thought I should share!! http://www.rawnutrition.ca/ and these guys have AMAZING dried mango (since you mentioned it!) http://www.realrawfood.com/

Great job on your run… cheeky cheeky!!

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm

awesome tks! I will check those websites out :)

Kailey @ Mission Healthy June 23, 2010 at 6:24 pm

haha you’re so cute! Way to go on winning the race ;)

Rachel June 23, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Ahhh, the earthquake that was felt by all my family and friends in Upstate NY, and is all over facebook and twitter. Lol, I’m glad it wasn’t big, and everyone is safe.

I totally thought of you today. I went to the running store to get some shoes, and they had one of those backpack things with water. I think yours is a Camelbak? This was Nathan’s or something, and was not nearly as expensive as I thought. Like $60. I am def going back for it when I’m not there spending $200 on shoes and compression socks :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 23, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Well done on making the most of some not so nice conditions!

Erinn June 23, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Where did you get that gorgeous, pink tank top?! Hilarious ribbon, by the way. You need to hang that on the wall! It was a once in a lifetime experience.

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Its from Lululemon in 2008 I believe!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 23, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Ahahaha! I love how you made your own race!!!

Karen W. (WrightLifeTCM.com) June 23, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Funny post! I love seeing people entertain themselves- and then entertain others!

About the lack of kale juice, it may be the quality of the juicer OR that you just need to wrap the kale around something juicy. I always wrap the kale leaves around around chunks of cucumber. Spinach has a higher water content so it’s no problem.

I use the Jack Lalanne juicer and some juice does come out of the kale, but not a lot, and its very concentrated.

BTW- I have a Vita-Mix and it ROCKS.

xo

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm

That is a great tip about the kale + cuke. Will try this out sometime.

Candice June 23, 2010 at 6:53 pm

lol. you are hilarious in this post. You know, I’ve been reading your blog for quite some time now, and it always brings me such inspiration. You have no idea. Oddly enough, I hardly ever comment. I’m sorry that I get so much from your blog, but I hardly ever contribute anything or leave an encouraging comment. I think I always just assume that you have so many commenters and readers that it doesn’t really matter. dumb;)

Anyway, just wanted to say I think you’re awesome, and I really appreciate all that you do for OSG. Sorry for taking so much, but not giving back anything in the past!

Btw, congrats on 1st place!

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 9:51 pm

You are too sweet! Totally made my night. Thank you. :)

Krista June 23, 2010 at 6:54 pm

This is hilarious! You just made my day with this post!

jassy June 23, 2010 at 6:57 pm

first place?! oh wow…haha…nice ribbon…good for motivation right?!:)

lots of earthquake has been happening every now and then…

Cassie June 23, 2010 at 6:59 pm

You are dorky in the most adorable way possible! :D
    YAY FOR YOU! Congrats on the big win ;)
    Seriously though, what a great idea instead of just flopping on the couch!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 23, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I’m glad you decided not to head downtown tonight. Totally not worth it! Your race is much more awesome. Way to place first! :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 23, 2010 at 7:09 pm

haha Your ribbon is too cute! Hard-earned – fooo shooo! :) That toast with the couscous looks amaaazing ,btw.

Heather June 23, 2010 at 7:11 pm

hahaha loooove the ribbon. first place – you must be sooo proud!!! :P
    I was actually in Toronto today (more North, near Yorkdale), and I didn’t even feel a thing earthquake wise. Atlhgouh some people who were in the same building as me said they felt the shaking – weird!?
    I think it’s a good idea that you strayed from Toronto, especially near downtown – it’s crazyness here!!

mary June 23, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I LOVE this post!! :) congrats on your big win! ;)

Heather June 23, 2010 at 7:15 pm

you are too adorable…’nuff said :)

also, fruit leather and i…well, we’re in love. there, it’s out there for the world to hear!!! :)

Sarah June 23, 2010 at 7:20 pm

CONGRATULATIONS :)

Your 3 mile race made me giggle! First place is fantastic. Earthquakes are valid reasons to miss a race as are thunderstorms. Fruit leather is yummy toooooooo.

andrea @ a cake for a wife. June 23, 2010 at 7:28 pm

ha ha ha! This post cracked me up. Love your race, congrats on your win!!

And I totally think you made the right call on not going to the actual race. All signs point were definitely pointing to ‘no’!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind June 23, 2010 at 7:33 pm

“Probably Rocky actually.” hahahaha hilarious

and I love the little “You Win!” on the (sweet) medal

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 9:52 pm

haha Eric goes…oh no you didnt post that on the blog did you? haha ;p

lindsay June 23, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I heard about the eathquake! Crazy! But glad you ran a “different” race. Did you win it? hehe! Looks like a fun one. :)

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 23, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Good call on skipping the race.

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing June 23, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I’m just going to echo what everyone else already wrote: LAUGH. OUT. LOUD. (caps for emphasis, not for shouting!) hahaha! Awesome post!

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place June 23, 2010 at 7:44 pm

wow, you are one speedy girl!! great time for a 3 miler! +

Helena June 23, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Hi! :) Can you tell me how many days your home made hummus (50 cent hummus) can be in the fridge?

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 9:53 pm

hmmm it’s never an exact science but it generally keeps a while if you use lemon juice :) It preserves it longer anyways. I would guess at least a week, maybe longer!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 23, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I love this!!! hahahaha What an awesome ribbon! :D It’s definitely fridge-worthy

Laura (Starloz) June 23, 2010 at 7:58 pm

um curried couscous, recipe please!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner June 23, 2010 at 8:01 pm

LOVE the ribbon.

Steph (@mediterraneanmiss) June 23, 2010 at 8:16 pm

You are almost too adorable to be allowed. What a wonderful idea!
    I’m so glad the tornado warning has passed =\ how scary was THAT, yikes.

Ericka June 23, 2010 at 8:19 pm

LOL! Congratulations on winning the race!! What an amazing accomplishment. :P

Tonyne @ The Unlikely Success Story June 23, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Loved this post. It screams happiness to me. :)

Therese June 23, 2010 at 8:26 pm

You are TOO cute! And you know what?! I cancelled plans tonight also due to this “severe thunderstorm warning” and we got NOTHING!!!

But congrats on winning the ENTIRE race! You’re so hardcore!!!

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm

hahaha I know, I hit publish on the post and the sun came out and we ended up going for a walk. Awesome forecasts as usual ;p

Stacey June 23, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Hahaha this post literally made me LOL. Amazing to make something fun out of not so fun situation. :-)

Also PLEASE tell me where you got that ADORABLE pink tank top you’re wearing?! I love the asymmetrical straps. Love love love and want.

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm

thanks! Its lululemon from 2008!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans June 23, 2010 at 8:28 pm

OMG Angela that is hillariously adorable! I love that you hosted your own impromptu 5k race in lue of the Toronto one.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 23, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Hahaha you are too cute.

IN all seriousness, the only race I ever ran was in the evening and it was TERRIBLE!

Kirsten June 23, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Congratulations on your first place finish! ;) I think you made the right decision to not go to the race.

How do you manage to keep last week’s CSA veggies fresh until the next? I tend to use up all the stuff I get in the first couple of days – otherwise it just wilts!

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I find most of it keeps EXCEPT the spinach…that wilts fast I have discovered. The rest seems to be ok as long as I keep it in the crisper on the highest vegetable setting. :)

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm

hahah CONGRATS on winning for your age group, gender, and overall :D

TJ’s chocolate – mmMMMmmmm yesssssss
    Chewy monstahs = mmmmm….no lol

Paige (RAN) June 23, 2010 at 9:10 pm

You are too frickin’ cute! Love that you took the time to make your self a ribbon – and especially love the “you win!” at the end LOL
    Rain is definitely a motivation factor to kick up the speed a notch!

Chase (TheChaseProject) June 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I am giggling out loud at your race recap! :) Adorable! Glad nothing terrible happened with all the drama in Toronto today!

Jocelyn June 23, 2010 at 9:16 pm

hahah this is too funny…love it!
    Glad you decided not to go..it just seems so crazy in and near Toronto today! eeee!

callah June 23, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Your race stats always impress me! I am training for a half, I am just so slow! It’s like they say though, it’s the finished that’s important :)
    I also did a run tonight! 6k with my running club. So hot, yet I think my hot yoga pratice has actually acclimatized me to sticky heat- it wasn’t the heat that slowed me down at the end of my run, but running too fast too early! Live and learn right!
    Anyways, just wanted to let you know I wrote a little review of your GloBars on my yoga blog. I loved the Run: Mini bars from the farmers market!!

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches June 23, 2010 at 9:32 pm

This post is adorable! I’m glad you made the most of your race. :) Congratulations on the big win. Your eats today look awesome as well! So much beautiful green….

Wei-Wei June 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Hahaha you’re so cute! Congrats on finishing the race! YOU’RE A BEAST, first place woot! :D

Wei-Wei

Meredith June 23, 2010 at 9:53 pm

lol I love it. Tomorrow when I go for my run I’m making myself a ribbon!

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I highly recommend a ribbon…lol. Specifically with the words 1st place on it and YOU WIN!

Lindsay June 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Congratulations on first place! Such an accomplishment! Lol. This us definitely one of my favorite posts!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels June 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I had to laugh so hard when you said “To my surprise, I was in the FIRST Corral”

MB June 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm

You are so adorable. Congrats on finishing first in the Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No. I love the first prize ribbon. Glad you decided to play it safe and stay out of harms way today. As usual, you put a smile on my face. Thank you! ;)

Ed June 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm

You’re too cute! Love the ribbon!

Lauren M. June 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Awesome job! I get so happy when I run negative splits like that! Woo!

Leah June 23, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I love that you had your own race!! The ribbon is maybe the best part. I was really bored at work today, so I kept reading the news, and yah, the weather, protests, earthquake, crazy stuff!! I even saw the guy wearing that Stephen Harper mask. It was a good mask – I knew it was supposed to be him RIGHT away! Anyhow, yah, not running the race was a very good idea.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

I love that you did your own race – that is so cute!!

Bridget June 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Yay Ange! Great job on the “race” ;) I love the idea of an individual challenge. I think it’s less distracting and can allow you to focus solely on the race rather than being distracted by what the other competitors/spectators are doing.

You deserve that ribbon – too cute!!

ChocolateCoatedRunner June 23, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Wow, good job on your 5k! Your not going to believe this but that was the same exact time as one of my 5k races! LOL and i have the same garmin.

Mama Pea June 24, 2010 at 12:03 am

First place?! Get outta here! You must be so glad you decided to run!

Ashley June 24, 2010 at 12:22 am

BAhahahaaaa…Congrats on your victory!!! Actually, that was one heck of a 3m run…way to go! Love how you turned your no-race night into something fun. I’m so glad you’re enjoying the TJ’s goodies. I’ve actually never had that specific chocolate bar, so I’m glad it was delicious :) Why I didn’t by any fruit leathers for myself is beyond me…TJ’s has some of the best. They’re nice + thick!

Hayley June 24, 2010 at 12:41 am

CONGRATS ON FIRST PLACE!!! I think I need to run races like that!! I did not feel the quake. It is so weird. I was wondering where did you get your glass straw???

AngelaOSG June 24, 2010 at 7:29 am

its from Glass D’harma :)

Becki @ HikeBikeEat June 24, 2010 at 12:43 am

That is incredible! Good for you, still racing when you could have just sat down and made some more soft serve (which I may have done…). You should be very proud :)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 24, 2010 at 1:26 am

LOL, that’s awesome!! Very creative and fun. :)

Jenn

Emily June 24, 2010 at 2:14 am

OMG! So I so your earlier post just about the earthquake, and I immediately called my dad, who works at home from an eastern suburb of Rochester, New York. I said, “Dad, I read on this blog that there was an earthquake around Toronto, did you feel it???” To which he responded, “Oh, jeez, you’re soooo right! I thought I dozed off for a minute, because I felt the house move, but now it makes so much sense!” I told my friends at school and one noted the context clues we get from the Internet now. I heard about an earthquake that moved my house from you and my friend on Facebook hours before I saw anything on any local channel. I love it!

AngelaOSG June 24, 2010 at 7:28 am

I was thinking the SAME thing…immediately after the shake, It was on twitter and the radio station I listen to 1010.

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 24, 2010 at 3:18 am

Haha, I love this post!!
    1) cous cous on toast – genius!
    2) making your own race :D I can imagine that made it so fun – next time I’m ‘bah’ abut a run I’m totally going to do that :p
    And I completly agree about the camelbak – mine has been a life saver!!
    Oh, and are you planning on taking Glo Bars across the pond!? The UK needs them!

Salina June 24, 2010 at 3:23 am

lmao.. rocky — so freaking funny!!

Casey Thomas June 24, 2010 at 3:33 am

Love this post Angela! You are hilarious.
    Love sooo many of your snacks today…mmmm liberate, green juice and green monster!

Cassie @ Tasteful Tales June 24, 2010 at 4:42 am

This is hysterical! Awesome post.

Little Bookworm June 24, 2010 at 4:46 am

Love how you made your own race!

Lynda June 24, 2010 at 4:53 am

Ha ha ha, too funny girl, LOVE that you got out and did your own race, and commentary! Priceless.

Michelle June 24, 2010 at 6:00 am

I LOVED this post Ang! It made my morning. Love your energy :)

Danielle June 24, 2010 at 6:22 am

Can you post the curried couscous recipe please? :)

AngelaOSG June 24, 2010 at 7:28 am

It was leftover curried couscous from the other night’s recipe…I think I posted it? :) Let me know if you can’t find it!

Kelsey June 24, 2010 at 6:56 am

This post made me laugh so hard! Especially the “I approached the start line and checked the mailbox while I was waiting. Awesome.” Haha!
    I love that even though you didn’t get to the race as planned, you made the most of it by having your own impromptu race. :)

Pam C June 24, 2010 at 6:56 am

You are adorable! This is seriously one of my favorite posts that you’ve done. I needed a good giggle this morning.

Brittany June 24, 2010 at 7:10 am

I really enjoyed this entry :) hahaha

Kristy June 24, 2010 at 7:30 am

You are too damn cute! Thanks for the load of smiles this morning! :-)

Monika June 24, 2010 at 7:38 am

Hee hee, that’s just too cute :)

Ange June 24, 2010 at 7:38 am

I get so frustrated with the little amount of green juice I get from my romaine & kale in the morning – I’ll have to switch up the order like you did!

Ange – where do you buy your Amazing grass from? I can’t find it at any local health stores (I live in Niagara on the Lake)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 24, 2010 at 7:38 am

Holy cow, I don’t know how you managed to run in yesterday’s weather! I was working up a sweat by just sitting around! I love how you made up your own race though. That certainly would make a run more exciting! :D

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 24, 2010 at 7:45 am

You are too funny. Does your husband just sit back and laugh at you or is he a willing participant? Love the ribbon.

Camille June 24, 2010 at 8:03 am

Congrats! You are so awesome!

Andrea June 24, 2010 at 8:03 am

You are hilarious! I am curious – how come you post your running stats in miles rather than kilometres?

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 24, 2010 at 8:14 am

Hahaha I LOVE how you made your own race! And I think your ribbon is gorgeous! :) I was curious about trying kale in a green monster this week, but read that kale doesn’t taste so hot in smoothies – what did you think? Was it a stronger, leafier taste than the usual spinach?

jenna June 24, 2010 at 8:32 am

:) sounds like an amazing run!!

Michelle (Life, With Relish) June 24, 2010 at 8:36 am

I love the idea of having your own race! Way to be flexible and stay motivated :)

manda June 24, 2010 at 8:44 am

awww, your race was so cute! congrats on getting first place, woohoo!

Kacy June 24, 2010 at 8:47 am

Haha, you’re too funny! Way to not let the circumstances of the day get you down :)

Jess June 24, 2010 at 9:21 am

Love your workout top!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous June 24, 2010 at 9:26 am

Haha this post was hilarious! Props for the first place!

I had a small migraine last night but instead of calling off my workout I decided to push through and did 2 miles on the treadmill and did some squats and ab work with the bosu ball (I love love love the bosu). I also did a few bicep curls with some 10 lb weights.

Yay!

Tara June 24, 2010 at 9:29 am

You are too cute. Put a smile on my face.

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 24, 2010 at 11:26 am

Yum, that curry couscous looks good on the ezekial bread…I’ve run a few evening races in the past and am never sure how to fuel either. I don’t know how my tummy would handle a GM before a race though. Good job attempting to get your run in regardless of the decision you made for the actual race. You have the most creative mind gal! Love it!!!

How do you figure your mile splits on your Garmin, I still have yet to do that since I use an interval in my runs?

Susan June 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Haha, love that you did your own race instead!! Yes, I would say there were definitely greater forces at work keeping you from that race ;) The epicenter wasn’t too far from Ottawa (33 miles). It scared the crap out of me!! My sister lives in a high rise and I was scared the shaking was going to get worse and topple the thing! I expected the rain storms and tornado warnings in Ontario, but not the earthquakes ;)

Lauren @ Health on the Run June 24, 2010 at 2:45 pm

haha, I love this post!! What a great idea. I’ve never hosted my own race, but once during high school XC, one of our meets got canceled and so my coach decided that we’d just have our own little race instead. It definitely made me run faster than I would have at a normal practice.

Good call on skipping the original race and great job on the one you hosted!! :)

Jen June 24, 2010 at 3:50 pm

You are so cute! I love that you made your own race!!!!! And, you won!!!

Kathryn June 25, 2010 at 10:32 am

My husband and I are just barely starting to run, so once again I’m loving this blog! We’ve done a mile run twice this week. We were much faster than we thought and we improved between day one and two!

I have a hard time getting juice out of kale too, and I also think it is waaayyy too tasty to waste on juice. Collards are pretty good through the juicer, but the best thing so far is this giant bag of southern greens I bought at Trader Joes! I just shove 2 hand fulls in the juicer and I get about an ounce of super dark concentrated beautiful greenness. Then I throw in an apple or two and a carrot!

Thank you again for your blog…hopefully I get some work done at work today though. I’m feeling addicted to reading!