The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

Greetings! (aka: Hellllloooooooo)

What a day!

So interesting to read all of your comments about your earthquake experience today. The news is now reporting that it was a Magnitude 5.0 earthquake that originated in Quebec from 18 km in the ground. Crazy!

However, I carried on. I had a race to fuel for and lots of work to do!

The theme of my pre-race eats = Green, Carbo, Clean!

Ezekiel toast with curried couscous and basil…

IMG 0274 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

I got up from the table and promptly put some salsa on it. Perfect-o!

IMG 0285 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

With a Green Juice

IMG 0354 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

Note- this is the first time my juicer has ever gotten any juice out of a leafy green before! I have tried juicing kale before and did not get a drop of juice out of it. I’m not sure what I did differently with this spinach, but it came pouring out. I think it might have been due to placing a couple items on top of the spinach (lemon, apple) to hold it in place…

The juice contained spinach, 1/2 a lemon, 1/2 a cuke, and a tiny apple.

IMG 0352 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

Yum!

Dessert was Trader Joe’s Fair Trade Dark Chocolate! LOVE this chocolate so much. My heart goes pitter patter.

IMG 0358 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

8 squares for good measure!

IMG 0359 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

Afternoon fueling snacks were a Liberate Raw + GF Glo Bar

IMG 0362 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

A TJ’s Raspberry Fruit Leather…

IMG 0365 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

I used to eat fruit leather all the time as a teenager. I’d like to make my own in the food dehydrator, actually! Specifically dried mangoes…oodles and oodles of dried mangoes. Mmmmmm.

IMG 0366 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

….and late afternoon, a Green Monster. I wasn’t sure how to fuel for an evening race, so I figured Green Monsters were always fine with previous races so I decided on that! Can’t go wrong with a monstaaaa.

IMG 0268 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

It contained: 1 tbsp peanut butter, 2 cups Red Russian Kale (that was the mystery veggie from last week’s CSA!), 1 cup hemp milk, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Powder, 1 tbsp chia seeds, ice, ice, baby.

IMG 0272 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

It was thick and chewy. :ermm: I might have good news on a new blender coming soon though…

So yes, I was fueled up.

But I was still undecided about the 5-mile race in Toronto. This called for a phone call consultation to OSGMOM. She was less than thrilled for me to be going given all the crazy circumstances today. I also consulted Karly.

She said…

I think there have been enough warning signs today to give yourself permission to not go to this race:
1. Earthquake
2. Crazy protests in Toronto
3. Sweltering heat
4. Torrential downpours/severe thunderstorms expected tonight
5. Possible looming tornado!!!!!

Do you need anymore reasons? :biggrin:

Sometimes all you need is a worried mother and friend to tell it like it is. Reluctantly, I made the call to skip the race, BUT to make things fun for myself, I hosted my own race, much like Caitlin did with the Chickpea Masala 10k Race.

I called it….

The Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh…No

IMG 1526 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

I didn’t have much time to advertise though, so the turn out was a bit less than expected!

I approached the start line and checked the mailbox while I was waiting. Awesome.

IMG 1691 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

To my surprise, I was in the FIRST Corral, so that right there was a confidence booster. Sadly, I did not see any elite runners though. I think they were ‘running’ late.

Then, the horn sounded and off I went, filled with adrenaline!

Mile 1:

Right from the start of this race I knew it would be a struggle. The air was thick and humid and the temperature was 29C with a humidity of 37C! The air felt like a damp cloth that had been sitting in a steam room. Gross. Luckily I had my Camelbak on me and it was full with COLD water, so I was good to go. The Camelbak has made my runs SO much better. Having water easily accessible on a run is truly amazing. I am used to the extra weight now too so that is not a factor.

• Mile 1 time = 8:15 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate = 162 bpm
  • Max heart rate =  174 bpm

Mile 2:

The storm clouds rolled in and the wind picked up!

IMG 1670 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

Hence, ‘OH NO’

I knew right then and there that I had to turn back because the storm was approaching quicker than expected. I pictured the ground opening up and swallowing me whole, but I persisted on. I figured if it did, that would be a pretty cool way to kick the bucket. The wind was refreshing, yet it made the run much more difficult. I was able to pick up a bit of speed despite this.

• Mile 2 time = 8:12 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate = 167 bpm
  • Max heart rate =  174 bpm

Mile 3:

It started to rain during the last 0.5 mile stretch and this was great inspiration to boot it home! I ran fast and I ran hard. I decided a 5k race would have to do! During the last 1/4 mile it POURED rain and I felt like I was in the Amazing Race or something. That, or I was Rocky. Probably Rocky actually.

• Mile 3 time = 7:50 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate = 166 bpm
  • Max heart rate =  182 bpm (sprinting at the end! Wheeee)

3 mile race stats:

• Time: 24:17 min/mile
    • Avg pace: 8:06 min/mile

IMG 1679 thumb   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

[That is not all sweat… it was raining too! But yea, it’s mostly all sweat I guess. lol]

As I approached the ‘finish line’ no one was in sight and amazingly, I WON the race! :lol: I even took home this awesome 1st place ribbon!

IMG 1685 thumb1   The ‘Earthquake Run & Shake 5 Point Oh No’ Recap

I can assure you, I will not be taking this bad boy off for a while.

I have some post-race fuel waiting to be consumed. Have a good night!

Tami June 23, 2010

How awesome is it that you made your own ribbon! I love it.

Laura June 23, 2010

I am literally laughing out loud right now! :-) This may be one of your best posts yet, Mrs. OSG!

Amy June 23, 2010

OMG Ange, I laughed my butt off reading this post!!!! You go girlie! I never doubted for a second that you could win that race! As far as that monster…I’ll be honest, bleh! lol I gag just looking at it, but the juice looks amazing! Did you need a spoon to get it down? You are hard-core, woman!

Callie June 23, 2010

Haha. Congrats on first place. :)
    I used to looove fruit leathers. So chewy and fruity.

Alanna @ Blood, Sweat & Cupcakes June 23, 2010

Haha! what a fantastic idea! Holding your own race :) Congrats on first place LOL

Good call on skipping the race, it’s a crazy day!

Kelly June 23, 2010

I love the ribbon, absolutely beautiful!

Congratulations, you should be very proud of yourself. ;)
    Waiittt..what protests in Toronto?

Kristina June 23, 2010

you are SO cute. of course you totally won!! :)

you are so fun, you made me smile and laugh and now my dog is looking at me and dancing around… :)

Aneta June 23, 2010

congrats on the race!
    super duper cute! u r fabulously creative!
    ya i was supposed to go out running, but settled for yoga and 30 day shred. it is bad out there!

Katy S. June 23, 2010

This post is awesome! Totally made me laugh.

Samantha June 23, 2010

You are so cute!!! What a great idea hosting your own race. I had to laugh about the elite runners. I think they got lost since the race was last minute. Love your ribbon. That’s one to definitely brag about! You know…I think it’s selling for 100,000 on ebay. Something about a “rare” and hard to find ribbon! Great job!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 23, 2010

HAhahahaaaaaaaa. this is beautiful!

I was wondering if you were up to something sneaky like this!! Love the ribbon!!

Through my raw food course, I found some interesting organic/raw Canadian websites!! I thought I should share!! http://www.rawnutrition.ca/ and these guys have AMAZING dried mango (since you mentioned it!) http://www.realrawfood.com/

Great job on your run… cheeky cheeky!!

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010

awesome tks! I will check those websites out :)

Kailey @ Mission Healthy June 23, 2010

haha you’re so cute! Way to go on winning the race ;)

Rachel June 23, 2010

Ahhh, the earthquake that was felt by all my family and friends in Upstate NY, and is all over facebook and twitter. Lol, I’m glad it wasn’t big, and everyone is safe.

I totally thought of you today. I went to the running store to get some shoes, and they had one of those backpack things with water. I think yours is a Camelbak? This was Nathan’s or something, and was not nearly as expensive as I thought. Like $60. I am def going back for it when I’m not there spending $200 on shoes and compression socks :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 23, 2010

Well done on making the most of some not so nice conditions!

Erinn June 23, 2010

Where did you get that gorgeous, pink tank top?! Hilarious ribbon, by the way. You need to hang that on the wall! It was a once in a lifetime experience.

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010

Its from Lululemon in 2008 I believe!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 23, 2010

Ahahaha! I love how you made your own race!!!

Karen W. (WrightLifeTCM.com) June 23, 2010

Funny post! I love seeing people entertain themselves- and then entertain others!

About the lack of kale juice, it may be the quality of the juicer OR that you just need to wrap the kale around something juicy. I always wrap the kale leaves around around chunks of cucumber. Spinach has a higher water content so it’s no problem.

I use the Jack Lalanne juicer and some juice does come out of the kale, but not a lot, and its very concentrated.

BTW- I have a Vita-Mix and it ROCKS.

xo

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010

That is a great tip about the kale + cuke. Will try this out sometime.

Candice June 23, 2010

lol. you are hilarious in this post. You know, I’ve been reading your blog for quite some time now, and it always brings me such inspiration. You have no idea. Oddly enough, I hardly ever comment. I’m sorry that I get so much from your blog, but I hardly ever contribute anything or leave an encouraging comment. I think I always just assume that you have so many commenters and readers that it doesn’t really matter. dumb;)

Anyway, just wanted to say I think you’re awesome, and I really appreciate all that you do for OSG. Sorry for taking so much, but not giving back anything in the past!

Btw, congrats on 1st place!

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010

You are too sweet! Totally made my night. Thank you. :)

Krista June 23, 2010

This is hilarious! You just made my day with this post!

jassy June 23, 2010

first place?! oh wow…haha…nice ribbon…good for motivation right?!:)

lots of earthquake has been happening every now and then…

Cassie June 23, 2010

You are dorky in the most adorable way possible! :D
    YAY FOR YOU! Congrats on the big win ;)
    Seriously though, what a great idea instead of just flopping on the couch!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 23, 2010

I’m glad you decided not to head downtown tonight. Totally not worth it! Your race is much more awesome. Way to place first! :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 23, 2010

haha Your ribbon is too cute! Hard-earned – fooo shooo! :) That toast with the couscous looks amaaazing ,btw.

Heather June 23, 2010

hahaha loooove the ribbon. first place – you must be sooo proud!!! :P
    I was actually in Toronto today (more North, near Yorkdale), and I didn’t even feel a thing earthquake wise. Atlhgouh some people who were in the same building as me said they felt the shaking – weird!?
    I think it’s a good idea that you strayed from Toronto, especially near downtown – it’s crazyness here!!

mary June 23, 2010

I LOVE this post!! :) congrats on your big win! ;)

Heather June 23, 2010

you are too adorable…’nuff said :)

also, fruit leather and i…well, we’re in love. there, it’s out there for the world to hear!!! :)

Sarah June 23, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS :)

Your 3 mile race made me giggle! First place is fantastic. Earthquakes are valid reasons to miss a race as are thunderstorms. Fruit leather is yummy toooooooo.

andrea @ a cake for a wife. June 23, 2010

ha ha ha! This post cracked me up. Love your race, congrats on your win!!

And I totally think you made the right call on not going to the actual race. All signs point were definitely pointing to ‘no’!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind June 23, 2010

“Probably Rocky actually.” hahahaha hilarious

and I love the little “You Win!” on the (sweet) medal

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010

haha Eric goes…oh no you didnt post that on the blog did you? haha ;p

lindsay June 23, 2010

I heard about the eathquake! Crazy! But glad you ran a “different” race. Did you win it? hehe! Looks like a fun one. :)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 23, 2010

Good call on skipping the race.

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing June 23, 2010

I’m just going to echo what everyone else already wrote: LAUGH. OUT. LOUD. (caps for emphasis, not for shouting!) hahaha! Awesome post!

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place June 23, 2010

wow, you are one speedy girl!! great time for a 3 miler! +

Helena June 23, 2010

Hi! :) Can you tell me how many days your home made hummus (50 cent hummus) can be in the fridge?

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010

hmmm it’s never an exact science but it generally keeps a while if you use lemon juice :) It preserves it longer anyways. I would guess at least a week, maybe longer!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 23, 2010

I love this!!! hahahaha What an awesome ribbon! :D It’s definitely fridge-worthy

Laura (Starloz) June 23, 2010

um curried couscous, recipe please!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner June 23, 2010

LOVE the ribbon.

Steph (@mediterraneanmiss) June 23, 2010

You are almost too adorable to be allowed. What a wonderful idea!
    I’m so glad the tornado warning has passed =\ how scary was THAT, yikes.

Ericka June 23, 2010

LOL! Congratulations on winning the race!! What an amazing accomplishment. :P

Tonyne @ The Unlikely Success Story June 23, 2010

Loved this post. It screams happiness to me. :)

Page 1 of 3123»