Homemade Coconut Butter

Good morning! :biggrin:

We have another situation here.

IMG 0228 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

I love coconut butter. My favourite kind is the Artisana Raw Coconut Butter. It is smooth as silk and subtly sweet.

IMG 0241 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

However, heavenly bliss comes with a hefty price tag. Granted, it lasts me forever, but when Ashley told me that I could actually make my own coconut butter very easily, I knew I had to try it myself!

All I did was put 2 cups of shredded organic coconut into the food processor…

IMG 0210 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

Process your little heart out. Use a spoon to scrape down the side of the bowl. This takes about 10 minutes or so.

Then you will be left with beautiful coconut butter!

IMG 0216 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

Who knew!?

IMG 0217 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

I compared the homemade coconut butter to the to Artisana and the Artisana brand was definitely smoother and a bit sweeter and overall better tasting. I have a feeling it has something to do with the way they process it. I’m guessing you could also get it smoother in a Vita-Mix or Blendtec blender. This did the trick though and was sure delicious!

IMG 0236 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

Homemade Coconut Butter

Ingredients:

• 2 cups shredded coconut

Directions: Process in a food processor (or capable blender) for about 10 minutes until a butter forms, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Yields: approx 1/2 cup coconut butter.

I can’t wait to try this in VOO!

IMG 0224 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

I also made Carob Coconut Butter because I LOVE carob and coconut together. My Heaven Glo Bar is based on this combination.

IMG 0242 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

The carob powder gives it a bit of natural sweetness too.

IMG 0249 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

Carob Coconut Butter

• 1/4 cup or more of homemade coconut butter
  • 1 tbsp of carob powder

Directions: MIX!

IMG 0248 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

If you are a coconut fan, you will love it!

Needless to say, breakfast was AWESOME this morning…

IMG 0257 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

I was in HEAVEN.

IMG 0250 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

IMG 0252 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

IMG 0253 thumb   Homemade Coconut Butter

I’m drooling. Again.

Well, this gal is getting back to work. I hope you have a glowing Tuesday and I will see you later today! :biggrin:

Jessica @ How Sweet June 22, 2010

I adore coconut butter, and I am obsessed with all things coconut. I made a coconut pistachio butter too that was SO good.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 22, 2010

Ashley is such a genius!

I love reading about her concoctions

Abby June 22, 2010

This is too funny! Last night I tried making coconut butter, but it seemed to be taking too long so I gave up! Now that I have confirmation that I was doing it right (lacking only patience) then I’ll revisit it tonight!!
Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2010

yea it took 10 mins or so…lots of patience! lots of scraping. :)

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 22, 2010

I’ve tried making my own coconut butter a few times and I just can’t seem to do it right! I’m going to crack the Artisana code…

Raja July 20, 2013

Hi I understand ur frustration and I made some today in a cheap little food processor that I bought from Big Lots for 10 dollars. It is 5 years old but it works. It did however, take me one whole hour. I used a half pound of organic raw unsweetened coconut. My food processor is not very strong but eventually I got what I was hoping for. Good Luck!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks June 22, 2010

It’s so easy, huh! I made my own after reading HEAB’s exploits with making Coconut Butter. So good!

Bekah June 22, 2010

This is for sure a must try! I’ve been wanting to give Artisana a try, but you are right about the price. =(

Ameena June 22, 2010

I have never had coconut butter, mainly because I refuse to pay the astronomical price Whole Foods charges for a tiny little jar. Thanks for letting me know it is possible to make it at home!

Jocelyn June 22, 2010

I tried to make my own..but my food processor was not having any of it..or my blender. Shortly after, my food processor bit the dust! I think you need a strong one lol…perhaps one day when I get a vita mix, I will try it again ;)

Nienke at Revel June 22, 2010

Totally craving coconut butter RIGHT NOW. And it looks like I cannot put off buying a food processor much longer…

Also – where did you get those cute green cups? Crate and Barrel?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2010

Yup, OSGMOM got them for me for my bday :) Love them! I have one in orange too.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 22, 2010

You may have just solved my dilemma of my desire for coconut butter that I haven’t given in to because of the cost.

Steph (@mediterraneanmiss) June 22, 2010

Angela this all looks amazing!!!! Coconut – amazing. Carob – amazing.
Fresh coconut butter with jam on toast? I’m drooling in my cubicle at work!!

xox

Christina June 22, 2010

Oooo, I have never tried coconut butter before because it’s fairly expensive, for something I don’t even know if I like, but thanks for letting us know how to make it. I might just try some now :)

Marina June 22, 2010

I made coconut butter twice, but I can only make it with my mom’s food processor :/ So that will have to wait for a few weeks :D I need the coconuty stuff. It’s so yummy!

Kristina June 22, 2010

yep, me too, I figured I was doing it wrong… patience! :)

thanks for sharing, now I will try again since I know I WAS on the right track… I use coconut butter a lot, and tried to make my own :)

the carob looks great too… carob was the chocolate in our house growing up… I love it.

Melanie June 22, 2010

Oh my gosssh that looks so good. I’ve never had coconut butter but I think that I am going to have to try this!

Callie June 22, 2010

You wouldn’t believe how much I spend on coconut butter!
I’ve gotta try this. :)

Jessica June 22, 2010

The carob coconut butter look awesome!
Your dishes always look so yummy!

claire June 22, 2010

I have yet to try coconut butter but know I will love it…since I do love coconut oil and pretty much all nut butters…thanks for the idea!

JL Goes Vegan June 22, 2010

I just tried Artisana coconut butter for the first time this weekend (thanks to previous post by you!) I will definitely try this.

Nic June 22, 2010

Delicious!!!
Ashley got me hooked on homemade almond butter and now I’ll definitely try the coconut butter!!
Your toasts look sooooo good!!! Time for my snack here!!! Can you please send them to me asap!

Amber K June 22, 2010

It looks so pretty and I keep reading about everyone’s love of it, but I just can’t stand coconut, so I highly doubt I’d like coconut butter!! =P

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) June 22, 2010

Ange, every time your concoctions are overflowing…I picture you finishing your photo shoot, putting down the camera and slurping it up while licking the side of the glass. At least, that’s what I’m tempted to do just by looking at it :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 22, 2010

Umm – I have no words. Okay, that’s a lie…I have a few. Oh my goodness. Seriously, that coconut butter looks epic and I wouldn’t have thought it’d be so easy!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 22, 2010

Man, that looks good. I never eat coconut butter since it’s so high in saturated fat, but I’m sure it’s absolutely delicious.

steph May 23, 2012

Coconut oil is a medium chain fat and so your body does not absorb it!! It’s super amazingly good for you!

Ashley June 22, 2010

I wonder if it matters what brand of coconut you use too. I couldn’t tell a difference bt/n mine and the artisana, but maybe I need to do a side-by-side taste testing. Mine also came together in about 5 minutes….very strange, lol! Yummmmm breakfast!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2010

yea Im sure it depends on the brand you use, where it is from, and also the processor you use too! Mine was together in 5 mins too, but I wanted to see how smooth I could get it so I processed it longer.

Ericka June 22, 2010

Angela, do you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes?

And Ashley, what brand of coconut did you use?

AngelaOSG June 22, 2010

I use unsweetened :)

Camille June 22, 2010

Oh oh oh! It looks so delicious!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 22, 2010

angela, you’re making me drool too much with this one :) i love making homemade coconut butter, but i need to try carob or cocoa powder in it soon!

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 22, 2010

I just finished off and washed out my Nuts to your Nut Butter Cashew Butter. I’m pretty excted because I plan to resue the jar to store some homemade cashew butter.

Sarah June 22, 2010

Yum, yum, yum! I am a big fan of coconut butter, but am trying to save money at the moment, so I haven’t had any in a while. I’m glad to know I can make a much cheaper version at home!

Leslie @ LaMamaNaturale June 22, 2010

Hi there!
First comment here….this post just made my day!!! OMG! Thank you so much for sharing this easy way to create coconut butter. I have not had the opportunity to try it and have been holding off on a few recipes. I’ve just added coconut shreds to the shopping list and can’t wait to test it out. Hooray- Have a marvy day!! :)

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 22, 2010

That’s it?? That’s all you do!? Ha, I’ve been wanting to try coconut butter for so long, I didn’t realise it wasthat simple!

Wei-Wei June 22, 2010

That looks sooooo good! I don’t like shredded coconut because of the flavour, but if I ever do buy it I think I’ll turn at least half of it into coconut butter. I never thought something so dry-tasting could end up as butter (and contain so much saturated fat O_O)! It looks delicious, though. :)

Wei-Wei

Tamara June 22, 2010

The Artisana tastes better not because they have some super-secret process, but because the coconut flakes you buy at the store have been defatted (they’re what’s left after they press out the oil out for other uses). If you flake and dehydrate fresh coconut meat yourself, the result would probably be much richer…but it would also be a huge pain!

Erika June 22, 2010

Mmm I love carob.
And I love that you make your own versions of packaged products. It’s fun and delicious! I love the jam I make so much that I won’t buy any from the store anymore!

Laura June 22, 2010

I made my first batch of banana soft serve overnight oats this morning! They were SO good (I even layered it a la OSG!) and I added in some diced strawberries as well. By any chance have you ever tried making a bigger batch of banana soft serve and just scooping out what you need each day? I’d love to make them more often but it quickly in to a lot of extra dishes and time to wash to haul out the food processor each day… I’m thinking a pre-made batch would work, but was wondering if the banana soft serve would turn brown or start to taste funny. Any thoughts?

AngelaOSG June 22, 2010

Ive wondered about that too…my guess is that it wouldnt turn out. You’d have to keep it in the freezer which would require processing it again when you took it out. I think it would go brown and mushy in the fridge too! I wonder if it is possible to use one of those small magic bullets for a smaller clean up?

Gypsy June 22, 2010

Yes – my friend uses a magic bullet and she makes the banana soft serve all the time.
I’ve resigned to leaving my food processor out on the counter because I’m constantly making banana soft serve, sometimes twice a day!
The clean up is a small price I have to pay for such a delight ;)

Angela – have you ever added dates to your banana soft serve? I think they must be too sticky because I couldn’t get them to blend with the banana. I’ve tried it fresh and frozen. Help!

AngelaOSG June 22, 2010

No I haven’t tried adding dates…it has crossed my mind though. I think I would process the BSS first until desired texture/softness, then try adding the dates. Sometimes dates process better in a more liquid consistency.

Veggielady4life June 22, 2010

What a great idea!! I have been seeing coconut butter on different food blogs, but I was hesitant to buy any because of the price tag. I will try this homemade version first and see if I like it!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 22, 2010

I need to try this, stat! looks fabulous!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 22, 2010

Thank you thank you thank you! I have been eye-ing the coconut butter at Whole Foods for a while now, but $15 for a jar of anything is just not happening anytime soon. I must try this!!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 22, 2010

Ahhh, I’ve got to try that homemade coconut butter! I’m seeing it everywhere!

Kelly June 22, 2010

I guess I can assume that coconut butter is different than coconut oil? thanks to you, I already use coconut oil for baking and moisturizer. Coconut butter just sounds interesting.

Page 1 of 3123»