Homemade Coconut Butter

Good morning! :biggrin:

We have another situation here.

IMG_0228

I love coconut butter. My favourite kind is the Artisana Raw Coconut Butter. It is smooth as silk and subtly sweet.

IMG_0241

However, heavenly bliss comes with a hefty price tag. Granted, it lasts me forever, but when Ashley told me that I could actually make my own coconut butter very easily, I knew I had to try it myself!

All I did was put 2 cups of shredded organic coconut into the food processor…

IMG_0210

Process your little heart out. Use a spoon to scrape down the side of the bowl. This takes about 10 minutes or so.

Then you will be left with beautiful coconut butter!

IMG_0216

Who knew!?

IMG_0217

I compared the homemade coconut butter to the to Artisana and the Artisana brand was definitely smoother and a bit sweeter and overall better tasting. I have a feeling it has something to do with the way they process it. I’m guessing you could also get it smoother in a Vita-Mix or Blendtec blender. This did the trick though and was sure delicious!

IMG_0236

Homemade Coconut Butter

Ingredients:

• 2 cups shredded coconut

Directions: Process in a food processor (or capable blender) for about 10 minutes until a butter forms, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Yields: approx 1/2 cup coconut butter.

I can’t wait to try this in VOO!

IMG_0224

I also made Carob Coconut Butter because I LOVE carob and coconut together. My Heaven Glo Bar is based on this combination.

IMG_0242

The carob powder gives it a bit of natural sweetness too.

IMG_0249

Carob Coconut Butter

• 1/4 cup or more of homemade coconut butter
  • 1 tbsp of carob powder

Directions: MIX!

IMG_0248

If you are a coconut fan, you will love it!

Needless to say, breakfast was AWESOME this morning…

IMG_0257

I was in HEAVEN.

IMG_0250

IMG_0252

IMG_0253

I’m drooling. Again.

Well, this gal is getting back to work. I hope you have a glowing Tuesday and I will see you later today! :biggrin:

1 Jessica @ How Sweet June 22, 2010

I adore coconut butter, and I am obsessed with all things coconut. I made a coconut pistachio butter too that was SO good.

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 22, 2010

Ashley is such a genius!

I love reading about her concoctions

3 Abby June 22, 2010

This is too funny! Last night I tried making coconut butter, but it seemed to be taking too long so I gave up! Now that I have confirmation that I was doing it right (lacking only patience) then I’ll revisit it tonight!!
Thanks!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2010

yea it took 10 mins or so…lots of patience! lots of scraping. :)

5 Danielle (Runs on Green) June 22, 2010

I’ve tried making my own coconut butter a few times and I just can’t seem to do it right! I’m going to crack the Artisana code…

6 Raja July 20, 2013

Hi I understand ur frustration and I made some today in a cheap little food processor that I bought from Big Lots for 10 dollars. It is 5 years old but it works. It did however, take me one whole hour. I used a half pound of organic raw unsweetened coconut. My food processor is not very strong but eventually I got what I was hoping for. Good Luck!

7 Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks June 22, 2010

It’s so easy, huh! I made my own after reading HEAB’s exploits with making Coconut Butter. So good!

8 Bekah June 22, 2010

This is for sure a must try! I’ve been wanting to give Artisana a try, but you are right about the price. =(

9 Ameena June 22, 2010

I have never had coconut butter, mainly because I refuse to pay the astronomical price Whole Foods charges for a tiny little jar. Thanks for letting me know it is possible to make it at home!

10 Jocelyn June 22, 2010

I tried to make my own..but my food processor was not having any of it..or my blender. Shortly after, my food processor bit the dust! I think you need a strong one lol…perhaps one day when I get a vita mix, I will try it again ;)

11 Nienke at Revel June 22, 2010

Totally craving coconut butter RIGHT NOW. And it looks like I cannot put off buying a food processor much longer…

Also – where did you get those cute green cups? Crate and Barrel?

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2010

Yup, OSGMOM got them for me for my bday :) Love them! I have one in orange too.

13 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 22, 2010

You may have just solved my dilemma of my desire for coconut butter that I haven’t given in to because of the cost.

14 Steph (@mediterraneanmiss) June 22, 2010

Angela this all looks amazing!!!! Coconut – amazing. Carob – amazing.
Fresh coconut butter with jam on toast? I’m drooling in my cubicle at work!!

xox

15 Christina June 22, 2010

Oooo, I have never tried coconut butter before because it’s fairly expensive, for something I don’t even know if I like, but thanks for letting us know how to make it. I might just try some now :)

16 Marina June 22, 2010

I made coconut butter twice, but I can only make it with my mom’s food processor :/ So that will have to wait for a few weeks :D I need the coconuty stuff. It’s so yummy!

17 Kristina June 22, 2010

yep, me too, I figured I was doing it wrong… patience! :)

thanks for sharing, now I will try again since I know I WAS on the right track… I use coconut butter a lot, and tried to make my own :)

the carob looks great too… carob was the chocolate in our house growing up… I love it.

18 Melanie June 22, 2010

Oh my gosssh that looks so good. I’ve never had coconut butter but I think that I am going to have to try this!

19 Callie June 22, 2010

You wouldn’t believe how much I spend on coconut butter!
I’ve gotta try this. :)

20 Jessica June 22, 2010

The carob coconut butter look awesome!
Your dishes always look so yummy!

21 claire June 22, 2010

I have yet to try coconut butter but know I will love it…since I do love coconut oil and pretty much all nut butters…thanks for the idea!

22 JL Goes Vegan June 22, 2010

I just tried Artisana coconut butter for the first time this weekend (thanks to previous post by you!) I will definitely try this.

23 Nic June 22, 2010

Delicious!!!
Ashley got me hooked on homemade almond butter and now I’ll definitely try the coconut butter!!
Your toasts look sooooo good!!! Time for my snack here!!! Can you please send them to me asap!

24 Amber K June 22, 2010

It looks so pretty and I keep reading about everyone’s love of it, but I just can’t stand coconut, so I highly doubt I’d like coconut butter!! =P

25 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) June 22, 2010

Ange, every time your concoctions are overflowing…I picture you finishing your photo shoot, putting down the camera and slurping it up while licking the side of the glass. At least, that’s what I’m tempted to do just by looking at it :)

26 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 22, 2010

Umm – I have no words. Okay, that’s a lie…I have a few. Oh my goodness. Seriously, that coconut butter looks epic and I wouldn’t have thought it’d be so easy!

27 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 22, 2010

Man, that looks good. I never eat coconut butter since it’s so high in saturated fat, but I’m sure it’s absolutely delicious.

28 steph May 23, 2012

Coconut oil is a medium chain fat and so your body does not absorb it!! It’s super amazingly good for you!

29 Ashley June 22, 2010

I wonder if it matters what brand of coconut you use too. I couldn’t tell a difference bt/n mine and the artisana, but maybe I need to do a side-by-side taste testing. Mine also came together in about 5 minutes….very strange, lol! Yummmmm breakfast!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2010

yea Im sure it depends on the brand you use, where it is from, and also the processor you use too! Mine was together in 5 mins too, but I wanted to see how smooth I could get it so I processed it longer.

31 Ericka June 22, 2010

Angela, do you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes?

And Ashley, what brand of coconut did you use?

32 AngelaOSG June 22, 2010

I use unsweetened :)

33 Camille June 22, 2010

Oh oh oh! It looks so delicious!

34 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 22, 2010

angela, you’re making me drool too much with this one :) i love making homemade coconut butter, but i need to try carob or cocoa powder in it soon!

35 Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 22, 2010

I just finished off and washed out my Nuts to your Nut Butter Cashew Butter. I’m pretty excted because I plan to resue the jar to store some homemade cashew butter.

36 Sarah June 22, 2010

Yum, yum, yum! I am a big fan of coconut butter, but am trying to save money at the moment, so I haven’t had any in a while. I’m glad to know I can make a much cheaper version at home!

37 Leslie @ LaMamaNaturale June 22, 2010

Hi there!
First comment here….this post just made my day!!! OMG! Thank you so much for sharing this easy way to create coconut butter. I have not had the opportunity to try it and have been holding off on a few recipes. I’ve just added coconut shreds to the shopping list and can’t wait to test it out. Hooray- Have a marvy day!! :)

38 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 22, 2010

That’s it?? That’s all you do!? Ha, I’ve been wanting to try coconut butter for so long, I didn’t realise it wasthat simple!

39 Wei-Wei June 22, 2010

That looks sooooo good! I don’t like shredded coconut because of the flavour, but if I ever do buy it I think I’ll turn at least half of it into coconut butter. I never thought something so dry-tasting could end up as butter (and contain so much saturated fat O_O)! It looks delicious, though. :)

Wei-Wei

40 Tamara June 22, 2010

The Artisana tastes better not because they have some super-secret process, but because the coconut flakes you buy at the store have been defatted (they’re what’s left after they press out the oil out for other uses). If you flake and dehydrate fresh coconut meat yourself, the result would probably be much richer…but it would also be a huge pain!

41 Erika June 22, 2010

Mmm I love carob.
And I love that you make your own versions of packaged products. It’s fun and delicious! I love the jam I make so much that I won’t buy any from the store anymore!

42 Laura June 22, 2010

I made my first batch of banana soft serve overnight oats this morning! They were SO good (I even layered it a la OSG!) and I added in some diced strawberries as well. By any chance have you ever tried making a bigger batch of banana soft serve and just scooping out what you need each day? I’d love to make them more often but it quickly in to a lot of extra dishes and time to wash to haul out the food processor each day… I’m thinking a pre-made batch would work, but was wondering if the banana soft serve would turn brown or start to taste funny. Any thoughts?

43 AngelaOSG June 22, 2010

Ive wondered about that too…my guess is that it wouldnt turn out. You’d have to keep it in the freezer which would require processing it again when you took it out. I think it would go brown and mushy in the fridge too! I wonder if it is possible to use one of those small magic bullets for a smaller clean up?

44 Gypsy June 22, 2010

Yes – my friend uses a magic bullet and she makes the banana soft serve all the time.
I’ve resigned to leaving my food processor out on the counter because I’m constantly making banana soft serve, sometimes twice a day!
The clean up is a small price I have to pay for such a delight ;)

Angela – have you ever added dates to your banana soft serve? I think they must be too sticky because I couldn’t get them to blend with the banana. I’ve tried it fresh and frozen. Help!

45 AngelaOSG June 22, 2010

No I haven’t tried adding dates…it has crossed my mind though. I think I would process the BSS first until desired texture/softness, then try adding the dates. Sometimes dates process better in a more liquid consistency.

46 Veggielady4life June 22, 2010

What a great idea!! I have been seeing coconut butter on different food blogs, but I was hesitant to buy any because of the price tag. I will try this homemade version first and see if I like it!

47 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 22, 2010

I need to try this, stat! looks fabulous!

48 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 22, 2010

Thank you thank you thank you! I have been eye-ing the coconut butter at Whole Foods for a while now, but $15 for a jar of anything is just not happening anytime soon. I must try this!!!

49 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 22, 2010

Ahhh, I’ve got to try that homemade coconut butter! I’m seeing it everywhere!

50 Kelly June 22, 2010

I guess I can assume that coconut butter is different than coconut oil? thanks to you, I already use coconut oil for baking and moisturizer. Coconut butter just sounds interesting.

51 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition June 22, 2010

I’ve tried coconut oil but never butter– I’ll have to give it a try!

52 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 22, 2010

As much as I try, I can’t bring myself to like coconut (even in pina coladas!) but your breakfast still looks delicious!

53 Diana @ frontyardfoodie June 22, 2010

I NEVER thought about how easy it would be to make coconut butter! THANK YOU! I totally am going to give this a whirl.

54 Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 22, 2010

Ooooo, that sounds soooooo mouth watering. Love coconut anyway!

55 Tracey June 22, 2010

I am really beginning to love coconut. Thanks for the recipes, they sound delish :)

56 Alicia @culinarybliss June 22, 2010

I just discovered a source of bulk unsweetened coconut, so I’m going to have to try this!
I’d been meaning to tell you, I just bought that Oster blender listed at #2 on your blender list. Verdict: awesome. Amazing motor and blends really thoroughly. Highly recommended, and I got it for $32 with a coupon!

57 Jess @ MTL Veggie June 22, 2010

Who knew coconut butter could be so easy and simple to make (and pretty cost effective). I do have one question though- any idea how long it would keep? Should I store it in the fridge?

58 Leah June 22, 2010

Ive tried a few times to master coconut butter. Its HARD!! I started from scratch with young coconuts and everything. Pretty sure the finished product is currently growing mold in my fridge.

59 Danielle June 22, 2010

I think I just died. And I haven’t even tried it yet! Thank you you you :)

60 Cynthia (It All Changes) June 22, 2010

I saw this on Heather Eats Almond Butter and keep meaning to try it. I haven’t had the actual stuff though because of the price.

61 Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 22, 2010

Awesome!!! I doubt this’ll work in a Magic Bullet. I need to invest in a food processor so I can start making all your creations!

62 Alex June 22, 2010

I cannot find coconut butter ANYWHERE in the UK. I am making this. THANK YOU!

63 Sportsgirl June 22, 2010

I didn’t even know coconut butter existed, but I’m going to make it! I make my own nut butters with my food processor too!

64 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 22, 2010

I want to try this, but I don’t know if my ancient food processor could handle it! :P

65 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 22, 2010

oh my – thankyou so much for sharing this! Must make some ASAP!

66 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 22, 2010

What an amazing and simple idea, who would have thought of that.

67 Carly @ Happy Healthy Foodie June 22, 2010

Where can I find that Artisana coconut butter in Canada…Whole Foods?

68 Laura (Starloz) June 22, 2010

I had no idea you could do this, I might have to try this. it sounds delicious!

69 Jennifer June 22, 2010

OMG! I’m sitting in my office drooling over your fabulous looking toast! I want, I want, I want lol!

Angela do you ever worry about the saturated fat in coconut? I guess being vegan you wouldn’t consume as much as say a meat eater.

70 AngelaOSG June 23, 2010

Good question! I don’t typically worry about the sat fat in coconut, because just as you mentioned I have no other sources of sat fat in my diet. Also plant sat fat is supposed to be much less harmful than animal based sat fat.

71 Lisa June 28, 2010

not all saturated fats are created equal, and if you google coconut oil, you will find all the research that shows it’s type of fat is amazingly good for you. and if you haven’t try it on your skin, it is amazing. it even cleared up my baby’s skin from baby acne, which everyone says nothing can help except time!

72 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 22, 2010

I love coconut SO much, but I have never had coconut butter! I am going to try making some in my Vita-Mix!

73 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 23, 2010

OH EM GEE. I MUST make this!!! I just so happen to have a whole jar of raw coconut in the cabinet. It’s a sign.

74 Andrea @ Sweet N Green June 23, 2010

That coconut butter and jam sandwhich looks SO good!

75 Ricki June 23, 2010

I made my own coconut butter a few months ago and liked the flavor a lot, but when I refrigerated it, it turned BRICK HARD! Did the same thing happen with yours?

76 AngelaOSG June 23, 2010

I didnt refigerate mine! I dont refrigerate the artisana coconut butter either.

77 Jo June 23, 2010

Ah I was just thinking that I really wanted to try coconut butter cause I have never had it! But I will just try making my own instead!

78 Kittie June 26, 2010

I tried the coconut butter….it did not work. I waited…oh how I waited. about an hour. I have coconut powder.

79 Lissette June 27, 2010

wow! who woulda thought it’d be dat easy?! would def love to try it, especially as good as u make it sound And look! gr8 pix :) have a super sparked day!!

80 Lisa June 28, 2010

I am all about the coconut, and have a question about the flakes. I understand most flakes are already pressed to get the oil out, is that not true for the organic flakes? what brand (or brands) do you recommend to have enough fat in it to make the butter? because after plunking down for one jar, I know I can’t do that as much as I would like, and want to use my vita-mix. I am ambitious enough to play with a whole coconut, but I don’t know how many I will be able to get a hold of here in WA on a consistent basis. Thanks for your wonderful info!

81 Rachel July 4, 2010

A friend of mine turned me on to your blog and I just visited it for the first time. I’m having fun looking through your recipes and I love coconut so this coconut butter sounds delish but I’m curious. . . what all would you use it on/with? I see your picture of it on toast. How else have you used it?

82 Jocelyn September 11, 2010

is this just with regular unsweetened shredded coconut? what else do you use coconut butter for? and does it go in the fridge? Love the idea! i have some carob too, i will try both as i have the same food processor as you, AND a vitamix.

83 Kate April 11, 2012

Ok, so I am just now finding your blog & I have never heard of coconut butter before but my 12 year old who is obsessed with coconut requested I make this tonight to top her vegan banana bread with in the morning! :D thanks for such an awesome website!

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2012

Thank you Kate! I hope you enjoy it :)

85 Loretta April 19, 2012

Did you use dried coconut or fresh (frozen)?

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012

I used unsweetened shredded coconut :)

87 Loretta April 19, 2012

So,…you used DRIED shredded coconut?

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2012

yup!

89 Michaela April 20, 2012

Do you put the left overs in the fridge? How long does it last? Looks amazing, just made raw almond butter, so good :)

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2012

It lasts in the fridge for a while…Im not exactly sure but I’d guess 2-4 weeks at least.

91 steph May 23, 2012

I have been blending for almost 20 minutes and still no butter. Its close though I guess but it’s so hot now, I’m going to wait until it cools down before I finish it…

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2012

Hey Steph, I’ve heard that the type of coconut used affects whether it “butterizes”. Just curious what type of coconut you used? Ive had this happen to me before too.

93 Sheila Hunt August 20, 2012

I can’t wait to try this. Thank you!

94 Katie August 25, 2012

I have tried this twice, and in my professional grade food processor it still just gets stuck to the sides so much (even with pushing it down with a spatula) that I can’t get it ground anymore. Sigh…

95 Aaron April 21, 2013

ummmmmmm
delicious.
mixed mine with cocoa powder and a smidgeon of brown sugar. quick n ez

96 Raja July 20, 2013

I want to try the commercial brand just to compare the taste. Mine turned out well after an hour in a very small, cheap food processor. I couldn’t stop sampling the product and plan to put it in baked oatmeal in the am. Thanks so much.

97 lina August 9, 2013

hello, im new to using coconut in general. does this go in the fridge when done? how long will it last and mine waz kinda liquidy , should it be? thank you =)

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2013

Hey Lina, Yes it should be liquidy, not to worry!
It should last for about a month or longer. You can keep it in the fridge or at room temperature in a jar.

99 Joy October 11, 2013

This looks wonderful. Question for you: could this be used as coconut oil in recipes? I am now living in Africa and cannot find coconut oil anywhere :( I can, however, get fresh coconuts on the daily, and I have thought about trying to make my own coconut oil. I have just been too lazy thus far, but this looks like an easier alternative.

100 Theresa October 23, 2013

Hi – I made coconut butter – and thought it went perfectly – except it didn’t solidify! Did I not blend it long enough? What have I done wrong?

101 Laura February 5, 2014

The unsweetened coconut that I got at the store was pretty darn dry. I’m just thinking that it wouldn’t come out very smooth because of the dryness. Couldn’t you add a bit of coconut oil if it was too dry?

102 Marie-Claude May 28, 2015

Hi Angela! Can i use unsweetened coconut?!

103 Karla September 2, 2015

How do you store this? I successfully made some but it’s gone quite hard in the cupboard

104 Benjamin Weingarten April 7, 2016

Hello Steph! I have never tried coconut butter before. But after read your given blog, I want to try this one. I can’t wait to try this great recipe. It looks like so yummy and delicious. Thanks for sharing great info.

105 John Marris May 11, 2016

Good site.I am feeling glad to visit here.Homemade coconut butter often too tasty and healthy.I like it.I want to ask that coconut butter and coconut milk can be mixed in same recipe?