The Crazy Veggie Returns

Hello!

Today was back to the bakery preparing for the market and getting caught up on orders. I have about 450 Glo Bars to make Thursday and Friday…it is going to be tight to say the least. I have a feeling I am going to be up until 3am baking on Friday night to prepare for Saturday’s market!

I realized that today is also our CSA pick-up day…I know I always say this, but I cannot believe how quickly the week goes by. Eric and I have been stuffing our face with veggies around the clock and I still had a bunch of spinach, bok choy, and asparagus to use up today!

I rolled up my sleeves and shoved every piece of spinach I could into the blender…

IMG 9730 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

The result was one of the most intense Green Monsters I have ever had! It was glorious. I sure needed an energy boost after just 4 hours of sleep last night. In the GM was about 4 cups spinach, 1.5 cups hemp milk, 1/2 cup cherries, 1/2 banana, 1 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Protein Powder, and ice, ice, baby.

IMG 9731 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

Down the hatch. Instant feel-good endorphins flowing through my veins.

After work, it was time to use up the rest of the GREEN for dinner!

I had two goals in mind when making this dinner: 1) Finish off last week’s CSA, and 2) Make it light enough so we wouldn’t feel weighed down for our planned evening SWIM!

I used Eric’s method and broke the asparagus ends off- it was fun! I threw the baby bok choy and last 3 garlic scapes onto a baking sheet. I drizzled extra virgin olive oil all over it and massaged it into the vegetables. I sprinkled coarse sea salt all over…

IMG 9741 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

I love coarse sea salt…it reminds me of the huge chunks of salt that used to be on the doughy Pretzels I would buy as a teenager (Pretzelmaker, anyone!?!).

and then ground black pepper to finish it off!

IMG 9746 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns IMG 9747 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

Crank it!

IMG 9748 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns IMG 9749 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

I popped it into the oven at 375F for about 25 minutes.

Perfecto!

IMG 9758 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

I think this was only my second time having baby bok choy. It was better than I remembered!

IMG 9766 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

I think EVOO + Sea salt and seasonings are key when roasting veggies. I can’t believe I never used to use them! They make such a difference. I sprinkled some slivered almonds and roasted garlic scapes on top.

I served a bunch of these on the side…

IMG 9756 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

To those of you who said these are addicting…you are CORRECT! The box is almost gone! :cwy:

IMG 9772 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

Sooo crunchy and the perfect amount of sea salt!

And of course a huge serving of asparagus!

IMG 9761 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

I think roasted asparagus is one of my favourite things in the world.

This dinner rocked.

IMG 9767 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

I shed a single tear when I realized that was the end of the garlic scapes. I said a little prayer to the CSA Gods that there would be more this week…

Dessert was a Glo Dough! Mmmmmmmmm.

IMG 9753 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

As I mentioned, I was dragging my behind today from the lack of sleep and the miss-my-friend blues. Eric and I were eating dinner and I said I was debating skipping swimming tonight and going Friday night instead. Eric said, ‘Ange, that won’t happen…you have the Farmer’s Market to prepare for Friday night and there is no way you will have time to go swimming when you will be preparing and up late…let’s just do it tonight!’

I almost dropped my fork with delight. Was my very own husband actually motivating me to workout!? Amazing. Reason number 534 why having a workout partner is a good thing! I have never had a workout buddy before and sometimes it is so nice to have that motivation when you need it. I said, ‘You are right…I won’t have time Friday. Let’s just commit to 30 minutes, it will fly by like it always does.’

Before I could think twice I was in my swimsuit and all packed to go!

IMG 15812 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

On the drive to the pool, we talked about what our swimming goals were from now until the next Try-a-tri on July 18th. We both decided that we want to start swimming more without stopping at each end of the pool; something we did during our training for the 1st triathlon.

Tonight, I set a goal of doing 50 metres at a time without stopping (before I was doing 25). I think part of the reason why I freaked out in the first try-a-tri was that there was no place to stop! I need to beat this mental hurdle and pretend that one length of the pool does not mean I have to stop.

The Swim:

100 metre cycles

• 50 metre freestyle
  • 50 metre flutter board (recovery #1)
  • 30 second rest (recovery #2)
  • REPEAT 7 times

I repeated the 100 metre cycles 7 times for a total of 700 metres in around 20 minutes. My total swim time is so much less when I don’t stop as much.

The pool was PACKED and the water was very choppy tonight! Our area is huge for triathlons and everyone was there getting their training in.

Eric and I were quite exhausted at the end of this swim. It is so hard not stopping for a rest at the end of each length. This is just the push we need to take our swimming to the next level. Naturally after the swim we were bottomless pits and had dinner #2 which was a big bowl of Nature’s Path Raisin Bran. Oh and I also had some of Ashley’s nut butter and more TJ’s crackers. :lol:

PS- We also picked up our CSA while in town…

IMG00174201006162047 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

I am OBSESSED my friends, obsessed. These garlic scapes are even more curly and scary looking than last week. Positively evil. Copious amounts of vegan garlic scape pesto will be made this week.

IMG 15842 thumb   The Crazy Veggie Returns

[For some reason I seem to enjoy putting it in front of my face and being creepy…!] Eric goes…’You are such a garlic scape CREEPER!’ haha.

More on the CSA goodies in my next post. This girl is off to bed for hopefully a full night of solid Z’s! Sleep tight.

Kailey @ Mission Healthy June 16, 2010

Those scapes are INSANE! Don’t you love how great of a workout swimming is? I used to swim and play water polo in HS and it’s crazy how great of a workout you get!

Oh this is random but where do you get your chia seeds for your overnight oats? I can’t seem to find them at local grocery stores :(

Brooke June 17, 2010

I often read your blog but never comment but today I just had to! Erics comment “’You are such a garlic scape CREEPER!’” CRACKED me up! You two are just ridiculously cute together! and YAY for the swim that almost wasn’t! :0)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 16, 2010

I really wanted to try your garlic scape pesto the other night, but my family and I searched so many grocery stores and couldn’t find any :( We had to go with store bought pesto instead.

AngelaOSG June 16, 2010

That’s always the way isn’t it…when you want something they don’t have it…I saw some at WHole Foods last week. Not sure if every WF would have it though.

Kamana June 17, 2010

Whole Foods is also only in Ontario and BC right now, those of us in the middle are SOL. :(

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 16, 2010

Well done on your swim! You will be swimming the whole 700m without stopping in no time!! :)

Camille June 16, 2010

Haha, I love the last picture!

mary June 16, 2010

with your scapes you could DEFINITELY be incognito!

Allison @ Food For Healing June 16, 2010

those garlic scapes are hilarious! I love them ha

Run Sarah June 16, 2010

I need to look out for these garlic scapes! Love the bok choy and asparagus dinner – it looks amazing!! Congrats on the great swim, too. Having a partner can make getting workouts done so much easier!

Kristina June 16, 2010

it’s fun to see Trader Joe’s products in your photos… :)

garlic scapes (or as I call them garlic TOPS – ha!) yay! I am planning to try your pesto, I love everything garlic. nice photos :)

that is SO awesome Eric was motivating you to go tonight!! look what you’ve done… :)

Ashley June 16, 2010

I have miss my friend blues tooooo. Love the VEG-tastic dinner AND the photos!! The big chocolate chips in the glo-dough are awesome. That green monster is litearlly “GLO-ing!!” Good luck finishing everything!!!

Donna Porter June 17, 2010

I heart those pita crackers! I would totally send you some to fuel your addiction! Of course, I would hold them ransom for Glo bars!! LOL

Jamie @ Tearaveler June 17, 2010

Oh I am so incredibly jealous of all of your greens right now!!!! I’m doing research in Nepal and have been forbidden to eat fresh veggies and leafy greens = no spinach! =( x infinity!

Helen June 17, 2010

Lol you do look scary, garlic creepers are so odd! I’m glad you enjoyed your swim. I’m always starving after swimming, it really takes it out of you!

Sara @ Fro Yo Foodie June 17, 2010

I’d never heard of garlic scapes until I read this post! I’m going to be on the lookout…Are they kind of like curly green onions?

Evening summer swims are the best! Congrats on meeting your new goal!

AngelaOSG June 17, 2010

They are the tops of garlic :) yummmm

Victoria June 17, 2010

I have not heard of garlic scapes.. well, until now! :)

I love asparagus, I could eat it by the bucket full! x

callah June 17, 2010

I had never heard of CSA boxes til I read your post last week! I signed up straightaway and got my first box tonight as well- and lo and behold, garlic scapes! going to make some potato and scape salad for a BBQ this weekend!

callah June 17, 2010

also, I’ll be hitting up the Farmer’s market this weekend, I’ll be sure to check out your booth :)

Sarah June 17, 2010

Love that Eric encouraged you to do your swim :) Workout buddies make it so difficult to be lazy…lol.

Good luck with the massive amounts of baking today and tomorrow! I’d offer my services but I’m horrible at baking.

And have fun with those garlic scapes….I’m intrigued enough to try to find them in my area!

Cassie @ Tasteful Tales June 17, 2010

Hahaha your garlic scape creepy face made me laugh :)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 17, 2010

Good for you for going and getting your swim in. He’s probably right and your Friday will be crazy.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 17, 2010

Ahaha you do kind of look like a creeper :P

But that dinner looks fab!

And how great is it you have a workout buddy? Awesome motivation! I wish Nick was home more so he could kick my ass! lol

xo
Kris

Miranda @ MirandasJeans June 17, 2010

So you have a new blender then! What did you decide to get? Did I miss that post?

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 17, 2010

Those are some wild garlic scrapes!!! And you’ve definitely did a numer on Eric since HE’S now motivaing you to work!! Total role reversal!

jenna June 17, 2010

HAHA What crazy looking scapes!

THis morning I brought a green monster to work with me and my coworker freaked out!! she said “WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT????” :)

have a great day :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 17, 2010

Haha…you don’t look creepy, you look a bit obsessed. :) So do you just have really great light in your home or was it daytime when you took those pictures. They came out great but by dinner there’s almost zero natural light in my house.

AngelaOSG June 17, 2010

It was still light out and I take them on the windowsil…and then I use Lightroom to enhance the photo.

Karla June 17, 2010

Garlic scrapes?! Why haven’t I gotten that in my CSA?!!? Looks super exciting!!

M.E. June 17, 2010

A doctor on the Today Show said that the nutrients in spinach, kale, etc. cannot be effectively absorbed by the body in the absence of fat. She said, for example, it is better to dress your salad with real full-fat salad dressing in order for your body to absorb the most nutrients. I immediately thought of you, and how you should try and add some fat your green monsters! Just thought you’d like to know!

AngelaOSG June 17, 2010

There are a lot of healthy fats in chia seeds….more omega’s than salmon apparently!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 17, 2010

Those garlic scapes are outta control! They would make a great Halloween costume.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 17, 2010

I’ve never tried garlicscapes before! I think I’ll have a look for them at the market this weekend. Your dinner looks delicious!

Laura June 17, 2010

aren’t partners the best?! ;-) I did NOT feel like working out after work last night but my fiance wouldn’t take no for an answer and said come on, let’s go – no excuses. You’ll be so happy you went. And it was true! I had the best run – went further and faster than I’ve been doing and of course, felt phenomenal after!

Christine @Grub, Sweat and Cheers June 17, 2010

I don’t think I’ve ever seen garlic scapes in the shops…they sound brilliant though.

Good for you with the awesome swim! I’m not a great swimmer but you’ve inspired me to give it a shot again some time soon. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve been.

What is it about swimming that makes for a ravenous appetite after? I can swim 20 minutes and feel the need for a side of beef after…

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy June 17, 2010

This makes me so excited about my CSA!! My first pick-up is this Sunday :D

alanna June 17, 2010

hi!! i just discovered your blog via my best friend becky at http://www.happinessisaprivateship.blogspot.com, and i am OBSESSED! i have been reading your archives like a crazy person, and you are so cute, inspiring and beautiful – i’m a fairly lenient vegetarian but you’re really inspiring me to incorporate a lot more veggies into my diet! can’t wait to keep following :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 17, 2010

Wow – the color of that GM is gorrrgeous!

Carolyn @ lovinlosing June 17, 2010

I’ve been worried about having to stop during the tri I’m training for (July 11th) because it’s in a pool and I don’t want to be in anyone’s way. Last night I did some of these drills (http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_swim/tno_swimarticle_08.asp) and just focused on that and breathing and I was able to do 15 laps straight!!! That’s almost double what I need to do for the tri so I am feeling much more confident.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 17, 2010

Yum! That GM is so bright and green!! And I now officially have to try garlic scapes.

Tracey June 17, 2010

Hey Angela! I had to comment about the scapes. I just recently signed up for a local, organic garden delivery service. I get my orders every two weeks and this week I received garlic scapes in my box! I was so excited that I knew what they were! I’m glad you found out before I received them, I would have had no idea what those crazy things were otherwise. I can’t wait to use them and try your pesto!!

Amber K June 17, 2010

I love all things garlic, so I really hope I can find garlic scapes sometime! I probably would put them in front of my face, too. Total creepers!

Callie June 17, 2010

Those are some crazy garlic scapes.
Glad you decided to go swimming after all. :)

Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 17, 2010

I definitely need to make your garlic scape pesto!

Sarah W June 17, 2010

love it

also last i knew, those pita bite crackers were NOT vegan! maybe double check?

AngelaOSG June 17, 2010

Yup they are vegan! Ash doubled checked all the labels for me before buying.

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 17, 2010

The CSA’s definitely are good motivation to get in tons of veggies!

Page 1 of 212»