1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

IMG 8989 thumb   1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

Any idea what this is?!

IMG 8989 thumb1   1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

It looks a bit similar to the green onion (on the right below)…and smells like an onion…

If it walks like an onion and talks like an onion, it probably is…?

IMG 8997 thumb   1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

IMG 9005 thumb   1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

IMG 8987 thumb   1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

IMG 8994 thumb   1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

IMG 9001 thumb   1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

IMG 9002 thumb   1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

IMG 8992 thumb   1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

Eric and I are trying to decide what to make for a special ‘CSA’ themed dinner this weekend…any ideas? :biggrin:

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 11, 2010

i’m daydreaming of things i could make with those goodies!!! yum!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 11, 2010

I hate veggies, yet I still want a CSA delivery.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2010

haha I dont know why but that made me laugh so much!

Kristina June 11, 2010

it’s all beautiful :)

I think it’s a garlic top ? ;) I’ve seen them at my farmers market.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2010

ohhhhhhhh it could be! It smells strong…

Kristina June 11, 2010

okay, I was right, but forgot the name :)~

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 11, 2010

Yup. It’s garlic flower.

I actually just saw an episode of Ricardo and Friends this week where he uses it in a pistou on pasta. It looked really good.

Julie @SavvyEats June 11, 2010

Garlic scapes! I’ve been wanting to try those…

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 11, 2010

Those curly green things are garlic scapes (aka garlic curls). Super yummy in pesto. I like them in vegan pesto, but beware they make an intense pesto – it’s basically garlic scapes + evoo + cashews or pine nuts + salt + lemon juice. For 2 bunches of garlic scapes like you have, I would use about 1/4 cup of evoo and 1/4 of nuts and 1/2 a lemon to begin with and adjust from there. I think I added extra cashews last time to make the pesto a little less intense-garlic-central. The pesto is awesome with pasta, especially if you add something sweet like sundried tomatoes – also good with hot steaming quinoa, or in wraps with veggie burgers or mixed with hummus. If you want a mellower flavor another option is to roast the garlic scapes – here’s a good approach: http://www.affairsofliving.com/imported-20100106014405/2010/6/7/oven-roasted-garlic-scapes-gluten-free-vegan-acd.html.

Hope this helps :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2010

amazing!!!

Leann June 11, 2010

This is exactly what I was going to say! We got them last year from our CSA. Amazing pesto!

Andi June 11, 2010

humm.. Pesto flatbreads with grilled veggies!! YUMMM

what about a vegan apple pie? options are endless

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 11, 2010

Looks like a super-green stir fry to me! Your CSA share looks fabulous. :-)

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 11, 2010

Looks like ramps. They come off the tops of garlic. They have an oniony garlic flavor and are good in stir frys.

Stephanie June 11, 2010

I just got garlic scapes in my CSA too! I put them in a homemade hummus with fresh oregano, lemon, and red pepper flakes. Just the right amount of garlic! I also heard they are really delicious in soups….happy cooking!

Leah June 11, 2010

The green curly things are garlic scapes. I just got them in my cropshare box too! I made this… Garlic Scape Hummus with Kohlrabi chips!!
5-6 Garlic Scapes steamed
1 can chick peas
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
up to ¼ cup of water for blending tender.

Combine all ingredients and blend, add water as needed until smooth. Chill until ready to serve.

Kohlrabi is the crazy purple root veggie. Google it.. it’s crazy looking!!

Hope you try this out!!

Helen June 11, 2010

Maybe some sort of stir fry / Chinese style dish with noodles and sauce?? That veggie is definitely intriguing!!

Sara June 11, 2010

Garlic scapes! I just bought some for myself at the farmer’s market. I chopped and steamed them like I would asparagus and served with pasta; I also ate them raw in salads.

Zainab June 11, 2010

Those are garlic scapes! I have them on my garlic plants right now…I’m seeing them all over the farmers market too.

Casey June 11, 2010

Yum! Garlic scapes! I used to get them when we had a share at a CSA.

Marta June 11, 2010

Now I know what came in my local produce bag! I got the whole plant but I had to chop off the tops to fit it in my fridge. Wish this post had come up last night as I already sent the tops to the composter :( I’m trying the baby garlic in a couscous dish tonight with some roasted sweet potato and experimenting with an almond butter & lemon dressing. This was my first week and it is ridiculously exciting to see what comes. I’m looking forward to a whole summer of inspiration.

Wendy June 11, 2010

I just bought some garlic scapes last night. I chopped them into pieces, sauteed in a bit of olive oil and threw in some chopped swiss chard. Sprinkled with some ume plum vinegar. YUMMY!!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers June 11, 2010

Wow, you got some really awesome goodies!!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 11, 2010

I would surely be intimidated by so many veggies I wouldn’t know how to prepare. But I bet it makes you such a better chef!

Meredith June 11, 2010

AFter you first posted the link for the CSA I went on the website and decided I had to have it too!! We went to pick up our first share last night, looks like we got all of the same things except we didn’t get the garlic scapes, we got cilantro instead :)

Cassie June 11, 2010

ooh yes yes they’re garlic scapes! i got them in my veggie box (csa) last week. i tossed a few into my kale saute to give it some garlic flavor. they are apparently good roasted too! they smell stronger than they taste (in my opinion).

let me know what you do with yours – i still have half a bunch to use :)

Nkatz June 11, 2010

The veggie in question is GARLIC SCAPES! They make the BEST pesto in the universe, and they are unstoppable when you roast them with sweet potatoes, olive oil, and sea salt.

Obviously you can doctor these to replace the parm cheese. Garlic scape pesto is absolutely one of my fave things.

Karla June 11, 2010

Wow! Your CSA bag is so varied! Last week, in mine there were 3 types of lettuce, radish, turnips and rhubarb! I’m excited to go to the farmer’s market tomorrow to see what’ll be in next week’s!

Emily June 11, 2010

I’m so jealous of your CSA bag. This week I got chard, 3 types of lettuce, radishes, and some bok choy. All amazingly high quality, but still… I want some fruit and garlic scapes!

NKatz June 11, 2010

For dinner, you could make a fantastic pasta dish with roasted asparagus and tomatoes, and you could make a pesto with roasted garlic scapes, and you could probably process some of your leafy greens into the pesto, or you could serve them separately as a salad for the first course. You could make some wonderful apple tarts for dessert. YUM! I don’t know how I’d include the bok choi…I’d probably reserve that for a stir fry later in the week.

Kelly June 11, 2010

Ooh-la-la! Me likey! The possibilities are endless with that much freshness! Yum! Should be tasty whatever you decide to make!

Lee June 11, 2010

Hi Angela, those are definitely garlic scapes, we used to get them with our veggie co-op. I used to have a recipe for an amazing garlic scape pesto. Unfortunately, I can’t find it now, but if you googled the pesto you’d probably find something. Good luck!

Jacquie June 11, 2010

They’re garlic scapes!

I’m about to try this myself, but a fellow DC food blogger recently made pesto from it.. http://mangotomato.blogspot.com/2010/06/galic-scape-parsley-almond-pesto.html

Rachel June 11, 2010
Claire June 11, 2010

Like all the other comments…definitely scapes! So fun..and sounds like others gave you some great recipes! I

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 11, 2010

Do you get a CSA bag every month or week? That’d be so cool! I wanted to join in on one but it’s too expensive for my budget. All that stuff looks so fresh, though. Whatever you decide to make, it’s gonna be awesome.

Andrea June 11, 2010

I’m jealous of your CSA box. Maybe next year… I’ll have to just go to the market tomorrow morning to get my fresh veggie fix.

VeggieGirl @ Barley and Me June 11, 2010

Garlic scapes have such a short season (just a few weeks!). Enjoy them. Check out Closet Cooking’s garlic scape recipes (he has some amazing ones).

I did a CSA for the first time last year and it was unbelievable. Such a good birthday present!!!

Meredith June 11, 2010

I think the CSA is giving you these mystery items so they get on the blog! ;) Free advertising! I’ve never heard of garlic scapes but now I want some.

kelli fisher June 11, 2010

They are garlic scapes!

Use them with the asparagus and lemon and make a pasta with white beans.. or make a flatbread pizza with homemade flatbread, tomatoes,arugala/lettuceasparagus, white bean garlic scape puree
(uses most of the stuff ;) )
read this link about them: http://www.tastespotting.com/clicks.php?url=http://www.applepiepatispate.com/vegetable/garlic-scapes-12-ways/&disp=16442

enjoy :D

Ana June 11, 2010

Awesome CSA box! I LOOOOOVE Bok Choy!!!
Yes, those are garlic scapes and I so want to try them, never found those around here. I have read you can treat and eat them like asparagus by sauteing in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. I love garlic, lots of it, so I really want to try garlic scapes, it can only be good!
Let us know what you make and how you like them!
Ana

Alexandra June 11, 2010

I’m pretty sure those are garlic scapes! No one really grows those down in San Diego that i know of.. Love your baby bok choy! :)

Sarah June 11, 2010

I was just about to answer your question, but I see that others have already beat me to it! I received garlic scrapes in my own CSA, but I haven’t tried them yet. I’m interested to find out how yours turn out!

Lisa @ bakebikeblog June 11, 2010

What a wonderful array of produce! Looking forward to seeing what you create :) Have fun!

Jennifer June 11, 2010

I live in China, and we have that vegetable all over the place right now. Here it’s called “da suan,” or “big garlic.” And it’s used in stir frys. Delicious!

Nicole Y. @ An Adventurous Life June 11, 2010

Hey Ange!
Just wanted to say that your photos are particularly gorgeous today! Love the color of the veggies with the bright & inviting background color. Is that a placemat? Pink cutting board? I am probably totally off, right?! :) Either way, great photos today! Can’t wait to see what meal you two come up with! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2010

Thank you! :) It is a neon pink bristol board if you can believe it!

Regina June 11, 2010

My FAV garlic scape recipe involves a pea spread! Here’s what I do:

I roast a bunch (like you have) or two. Garlic scapes – generally speaking (save a few heirloom varieties that are quite pungent) – are often much more mild than the garlic bulb. (They’re the top part of hardneck varieties that you pick 2 weeks prior to harvest, to send more energy into the bulb.)

From there, I blend the roasted scapes with 2-3 cups of fresh peas that have been blanched for about a minute (or frozen peas that have been thawed). I throw in a small handful of toasted walnuts, a third of a cup of grated parmesan cheese, sea salt and pepper to taste and a small glug (maybe a tablespoon) of fruity olive oil. I’ve made this spread dozens of times and everyone devours it – even the “green-haters” and meat-o-philes! If you’re not into cheese, just leave it out and add a dollop of almond butter. (That sounds weird, but it is just wonderful and the texture is wonderfully creamy!)

Regina June 11, 2010

I was just watching “Julie and Julia” and saw a scene where Julie Powell is drooling over some basil – which just reminded me! – I always add in about 8-9 basil leaves to the pea spread. And frankly, the more the merrier! :-) Okay, back to the film. (Smile!)

Page 1 of 212»