Tell Yourself You Can DO IT!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 5, 2010

IMG_8629

I unleashed my fierce determination when I got my wetsuit on this morning!

I like the ‘fake it til you make it’ approach when trying something new. It also helps if you let out a ‘rawr’ or big growl.

Of course, a little swimming fear crept up on me…

IMG_8623a

After practicing putting on and taking off our wetsuits we headed off to the race site!

When we arrived my heart started beating VERY fast! It was one of those, ‘Oh my gosh what have I done?’ moments.

IMG_1367a

IMG_1379

Part of the try-a-tri transition area.

IMG_1395

Here’s where the magic happens!

IMG_1360

Luckily the weather turned out gorgeous today for our dress rehearsal.

IMG_1361

We put together a video of the swim! [I apologize about the very low volume– it was SUPER windy today and I couldn’t get the video to be any louder.]

Swim Verdict –> Eric was much more comfortable swimming in the open water than I was. He has had a lot of time in lakes as a kid so I think he has the upper hand! He was really fast in the water too. I felt like I had to keep my head out of the water much more than usual because it kind of scared me when I was looking into the dark water below me.

Wetsuit verdict –> Much warmer and lots of buoyancy. Two thumbs up!

Unfortunately tomorrow’s weather report isn’t looking so stellar! :ermm: BOO, Hiss.

weather

Anyone have any tips on the bike portion in triathlons? Should I stay on the inside if I am slower?

When we got home we made lunch ASAP!

I had a huge salad.

IMG_8529

It contained CSA lettuce (2/3 of a head!), salsa, carrots, tomato, homemade dressing, and about 1.5 cups of leftover quinoa.

IMG_8527

I also had an Ezekiel wrap with 1/2 of a large avocado and 1/4 cup of roasted red pepper hummus.

IMG_8679

Afternoon snack was this bad boy:

IMG_8681

I am off to go prep some last minute things. I am going to try and post tomorrow AM before we leave. I will hopefully be showing you some pre-race eats, what I am bringing to the tri/what I am wearing, and tell you what approach Eric and I have decided to take for this event. I think you might be surprised! :devil:

Have a great night!

Kristina June 5, 2010 at 5:37 pm

awesome!! :) you look totes fierce in your suit! you guys are going to do great tomorrow, Good Luck and HAVE FUN !

Michelle @ Eatingjourney June 5, 2010 at 5:41 pm

When I was doing my tri I kept to the side unless I was going to pass someone. I pretended that I had a laser on my helmet and my goal and was to ‘blast’ someone out of the way. I also talked to myself a lot when I was biking. Motivating myself. Psyching myself up. Just go and have fun. Just enjoy the experience, and you know what I wish I would have done more of..pushed myself harder. Esp. in the swim, I could have gone harder. I think that thing, to, is that I went too fast in the swim at the beginning, cause I had so much adrenaline. It’s a calm, full-throttle, not bursting due to nerves. If that makes sense. Imagine, Visualise, Succeed.

Hannah June 5, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Good luck tomorrow!!! You are so fierce! What a great bonding experience for you and Eric.

Michelle June 5, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I’ve swam in a lot of lakes and oceans, and as a child I was terrified of seaweed! It’s not so bad anymore, just tell yourself it’s just plants. Yeah, they feel gross, but they’re just plants in water. Good luck tomorrow!!!

Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 5, 2010 at 5:57 pm

You look like you mean business! Good luck!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 5, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Seeing this video is kind of decreasing my fears of the open water!!

Stefanie June 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm

You will both do great. Just have fun and try your best. Good luck.

Maria @ a healthier Maria June 5, 2010 at 6:29 pm

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!! You will be amazing :)

Michelle June 5, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Awww Ange HOW cute do you look in that wet suit!?! It’s like you were meant to be wearin’ one Ms. Triathelete! :) I’m so excited for you for tomorrow. Hope you and Eric both stay safe and have A TON of fun!!!

LisaG June 5, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Have a good time and “tri” to enjoy yourselves. Can’t wait to see how it goes!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 5, 2010 at 6:47 pm

AHHHH!! I even have to talk myself into swimming in the tiny pool at my apartment. Props to you an Eric for braving the open water!!!! I’m so excited for you two!!

Marie June 5, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Good luck tomorrow! On the bike, always stay to the right unless you are passing someone. Be sure to announce yourself if you are going to pass! Bikes are quiet, and sometimes you can surprise someone if they don’t hear you.

Tri’s are awesome. You will rock it!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 5, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Looking good.

Kirsten June 5, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Good luck tomorrow! I’m sure you both will do amazing!

Steph June 5, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Ange, you guys are going to be AMAZING tomorrow! I’m so excited for you. I’m doing the sprint relay at 9:45 and we have to be in the park before your race begins so I’ll be cheering for you both!

For the biking portion, you need to stay to the right unless you’re passing. I’m sure they will explain the rules but you have to keep a certain distance around you or it’s considered drafting. You have a certain amount of time to pass someone when you move into their zone. Don’t stress about that though; the rules will be explained and it’s pretty natural to bike the course without drafting. I don’t think they’re too hard on the try-a-tri racers anyways. Just get out there and do your best!!! I’m feeling pretty intimidated by the hills because I’ve heard my bike course (the 30K) has a killer hill on the 6th line.

Anyways, best of luck and if I happen to see you after my race I’ll come say hello! Can’t wait to see your recap on the blog.
– @stephnairn

Christina June 5, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Good luck tomorrow, I’m looking forward to the recap! Definitely stay towards the right on the bike unless you want to pass.

Have fun, you’re going to do awesome!!

Susan June 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Hahaha, that is definitely some FIERCE determination Ange!! You and Eric are going to rock it tomorrow!! I actually kind of like that I can’t see in lakes. That way you are oblivious to what creatures may be below! :P As for the bike portion, just make sure you don’t bike too close behind someone so the officials don’t think you’re drafting (probably not as big a concern on mountain bikes I guess). Also, it’s always best to warn someone if you’re passing them, you never know when the person you’re passing will randomly swerve out.

In case I don’t touch base with you again – GOOD LUCK!!! and HAVE FUN!! Don’t stress about the weather, you’ll be wet from the swim anyways ;)

Camille June 5, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Good luck on your Tri!
You guys are going to do fabulous!

Bridget June 5, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Ange, you look gorgeous in the wetsuit. No joke! You are fieeeeerce!

I’ve always had a fear of seaweed – especially when it lurks up around your ankles Eeek! Hope you guys fun tomorrow, and enjoy the experience :) Good luck

highonhealthy June 5, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Good luck on the try-a-tri!! That must be so exciting! Nervewracking too but such a great experience. :)

ida June 5, 2010 at 7:55 pm

good luck tomorrow!! you’ll do well, i’m sure. Hopefully people will get spread out enough that the bike course wont be too congested. just stay to the right and you’ll be fine.

Angela @ a healthy fit June 5, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Good luck. On the bike, make sure if you pass you pass on the left and just stay to the right. You’ll be fine!!! My co-workers are doing their first tri tomorrow.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 5, 2010 at 8:29 pm

good luck tomorrow angela! I’m sure you two will do great :)

Sarah June 5, 2010 at 8:34 pm

You look like such a badass in that first pic!! Good luck tomorrow, you’ll do great!!!

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy June 5, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Hey girl!! I just had my sprint tri today. The swim was definitely the scariest part! I did the whole thing on my back because getting my head in the water was too scary for me, so you might want to consider that : P Also the bike portion is pretty easy… stay towards your right if you’re slow and then when you’re passing people you pass to the left and tell them “To your left!” just to make sure they know you’re there. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Jenn (GH) June 5, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Love those top two photos! Made me smile. Your expression is adorable!

Someday I hope to try a triathlon with my hubby. He did a full one right before we met but I’ve always been too afraid to even consider the swim. Most of the ones around here are in the ocean and I know I would panic out there but a lake? Mmmm? Maybe? I’m very interested in hearing about how it feels for you on race day.

Amber K June 5, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I hope you get lots of rest and have an awesome time!

Erin June 5, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Good luck, have fun and stay safe!

Krista June 5, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Best of luck tomorrow!! :)

E June 5, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Hey Ange! Just wanted to drop in in wish you luck tomorrow. Not that you need it, You and Eric look PRO in those wetsuits. Really, if there was a market in wetsuit modeling you’d be great. lol Have fun! and good luck to the both of you again :]

lindsay June 5, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Wetsuits will help you go faster! And keep looking ahead during the swim. Ive goteen kicked several times, haha! Battle wounds are cool though.
Cheers!
LC

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 5, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Good luck and have fun!!

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 5, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Good luck tomorrow!! You & Eric will rock it :D

Peggy June 5, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Stay to the right unless passing. The phrase “on your left” is your friend when passing (said loudly.)

Good luck! Have fun! I recommend deep breathing exercises prior to the swim, and stay to the back and the outside if you think you’re on the slower side with swimming. You’ll be less likely to get stuck in the washing machine. And whatever you do, if it’s shallow enough to walk, DON’T do it! You’ll jack your heart rate through the roof and not be happy on the bike.

Ilana June 5, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Can I just comment on every post of yours “I love you!”? You’re adorable, you’re inspiring, I don’t even know what to say anymore! You’re so fantastic. You make me want to try to learn to swim!!

Wei-Wei June 5, 2010 at 9:40 pm

GOOD LUCK! You can most DEFINITELY do it. You’ve been training very hard and very well, I’m sure the triathlon will be a blast! Remember to get your rest tonight and have FUN tomorrow. I’m rooting for you! :D

That is a HUMONGOUS salad. Wow. ;)

Wei-Wei

AngelaOSG June 5, 2010 at 9:58 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH everyone!!! yawhoo.

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 5, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Good luck good luck good luck! Three good lucks since it’s a triathlon and all :)

Lizzie June 5, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I don’t use this phrase very often and I would say kick ass, but instead I’m going to say haul ass (!) tomorrow, lady!! You will be fabulous!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 5, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Swimming in natural water freaks me out. I always feel like something is going to bite me or I’m going to step on something yucky, lol. Love the suit, though!! :D Wearing that would make me feel much less intimidated by it.

Jenn

Lauren @ Health on the Run June 5, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Loved the video! It’s so cute! Glad you got a chance to do an open water practice today. Hopefully it’ll make things go more smoothly tomorrow (and make it less scary).

Good luck!! :)

Brynne June 5, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Rock that tri!!

tasha - the clean eating mama June 6, 2010 at 1:32 am

You both will rock the event! Good luck and I will be cheering you on from Seattle! =)

C.L June 6, 2010 at 3:06 am

Heya Angela, you look great in the wetsuit! Really hot! Bout the bike leg, yeah, definitely stay on the inside so that faster bikers can pass by without having to yell or manuever too much. I’ve yelled at people many times during races to keep to the inside while I’m overtaking. (really don’t mean to yell and be rude, but hey, it’s a race, and I need to pass by them!) that said, I know you’ll do wonderfully!!! You’re fuelled by veggie goodness after all! All the best! =) You’ll love the addictive experience of triathlon!

Marina June 6, 2010 at 3:57 am

You look really cute :)
Good luck, I’m sure you’ll do great and have an amazing time!

Lynne June 6, 2010 at 5:22 am

Good luck! Have a wonderful time! :)

Triathlonbabe June 6, 2010 at 11:15 am

Oh man, I’m so mad I didn’t get to wish you luck Ms. Ange! Girl, I know you did mawvelous, no problemos there! I LOVE OPEN water as opposed to pool tri’s but still for your next you should try a pool one!

Lisa June 6, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Great video! That’s cool to see. Did you get video of the actual tri at all?