A Win-Win Situation

Helloooooo!

Today has been a busy one and I thought my head was going to spin off a few times, but I am here and relatively all intact. :lol:

I could not bring myself to go near the kitchen tonight. Luckily Eric saved the day and cooked up some Amy’s Veggie burgers for us for dinner. I don’t think I have ever been so grateful to have a meal cooked for me!

IMG 6897 thumb   A Win Win Situation

I had: 1 Amy’s Texas patty, 1/4 cup red pepper hummus, 1/2 avocado, 2 tbsp tomato paste, and ground black pepper.

I concluded:

• It always tastes so much better when someone else makes it!! Why is that?

I felt like I was eating a gourmet meal. Oh He Glows was so proud of himself. It was a win-win situation.

IMG 6894 thumb   A Win Win Situation

Dessert was an Adore Glo Bar shared with Eric (he demanded the bigger half and I figured he earned it).

I decided that I need to bring some calm back into my life today, so I am off to do 20 minutes of Yoga for Strength with Jackie Casal.

• It will be done in the dark.
  • It will be done with a candle.
  • It will be done with spookie Sketchie walking all over me and underneath me when I do downward facing dog cat.

IMG 7386 thumb   A Win Win Situation

Creeeeeepy. :alien: He is a tough yoga instructor let me tell you!

Eric and I also have a hot date with Tom Papa and Michael Scott tonight that I am excited about. Thursday nights are great for laughter on TV!!

Tonight’s question: What is your ‘go-to’ quick and easy meal when you are tired and don’t want to cook something elaborate?

My go-to meal is always frozen veggie burgers. Freezer –> to plate –> in 5 minutes flat. I have never messed up a frozen veggie burger. No kitchen disasters. Just feel-good, wholesome memories. I keep saying I need to make a colossal batch of my In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie burgers and freeze them, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet! Some day… :biggrin:

~~~

“Sometimes you have to make your own opportunities and that’s why I’m on TV. I wasn’t going to sit around anymore, waiting patiently for the damn phone to ring. I had to create my own place- I’ve always done that.” ~ Bette Midler (PS- I updated the quotes page tonight)

Carolyn May 13, 2010

Awww! That was so sweet of him! =) It’s always nice when your other half recognizes the fact that you’ve worked your bum off and does something that makes it all seem worth it. My dad brings my mom flowers when he knows she’s had a rough day or week, or takes her out on a date. Cheers her right up!
(I also suspect this has to do with the rest of the family’s survival, too: My mother is *not* fun to be around when she’s stressed, haha!)

I hope you have a great night tonight, yoga, TV show, daemon cat and all! ~^

P.S. I was wondering: Do you ever take a rest day when you’re training for an event, like your Try-a-Tri, or upcoming marathon? I’m not trying to criticize you or anything. I just noticed that you stopped taking rest days, and I was wondering what the thinking was behind that.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2010

I have been taking about 1 complete rest day a week with 2 easy/non-strenuous days. Body is very happy. =)

Rachel May 13, 2010

I was just scrolling down to ask this exact question… I was curious if you ever took a day off. I know that you really enjoy your exercise though, so I wasn’t sure if you did it every day because you love it, and also I know you are training.

Leah May 13, 2010

How sweet of him to make you dinner! Theres nothing better than a man who can cook for you.
At least, I think theres nothing better. I wouldnt know – I cant even get my boyfriend to wash his dishes. On the odd time he does, he puts them so close to the sink I think theyre dirty and wash them again.
When I dont want to cook I make myself quesadillas. I always have salsa, or the ingredients to make salsa on hand, add some cheese and Im done! Love it.

Amy May 13, 2010

My quick go to meal is beans and rice. Always yummy!!!

Pam (pamcakes and eggs) May 13, 2010

I LOVE doing yoga in the dark without my glasses or contacts. I just close my eyes and go with it. Very relaxing. Enjoy!

Kristina ( spabettie! ) May 13, 2010

Mmm, one of my quick meals looks almost exactly like that… some sort of wrap, usually with a faux burger or chicken patty. I usually make a big pot of quinoa on Monday, so another quick favorite is a BOWL, quinoa + black bean + avocado + this garlicy-lemon sauce I make. SO YUM.

We’re looking forward to the same television tonite! We love the Thursday shows + Marriage Ref (and I think I have a he’s-funny crush on Tom Papa). There it is, I said it.

Have a fabulous night!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2010

Oh I need to make bowls more often…love them. Remind me of Fresh!

RE: Tom papa crush…you are preaching to the choir girlfriend! I think Eric and I both have a crush on him…haha…he is just so cute I want to squeeze his cheeks!

Erin May 13, 2010

There are some things that always taste better when someone else makes them. My mom’s cookies taste a million times better than mine, even if we use the exact same recipe. It’s the love. :D

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 13, 2010

Quesadillas! We throw everything in them.

Allison @ Food For Healing May 13, 2010

we definitely resort to SOUP when we don’t want to make anything elaborate. I love soup.

that burger wrap looks tasty. I need to try some vegetarian pattys again, had a bad experience before so i am a little hesitant.

Lisa May 13, 2010

LOL! I cracked up at that picture! My kitty looks very similar to Sketchie and he LOVES to help me do yoga or my foam roller. ;)

Tina May 13, 2010

So true that food tastes better when someone else makes it! I mostly feel that way about salads. I hate salads when I make them but LOVE them when made by others. They could be the exact same thing, but I would still prefer the one I didn’t make.

I would have to say veggie burgers, Morningstar buffalo “wings” and some frozen veggies are my go to quick meal.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2010

I am the same way with salads. Whenever someone else makes them they taste sooooooo good.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 13, 2010

How funny, my “go to” meal is black bean burgers! I love them, and the best part is that Adam actually asks for them…

Keri @ Baby Spinach Steps May 13, 2010

Has to be a salad! There’s nothing more satisfying – or easy – than opening the fridge, starting with a leafy green base (I almost always have some in the fridge), and topping it with whatever else I can find. That, or a bowl of Puffins..haha.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2010

I dont know why but I find salads so annoying to make. maybe it is our salad spinner (it’s wonky). Actually one of my least favourite things to do is use the salad spinner. maybe that is why I hate making salads so much. I love salads though. It’s a catch 22 I guess. ;)

theemptynutjar May 13, 2010

this will sound weird, cuz u dont understand my funny thoughts…but i wish i were as brave as u…seriously…with food and with everything.
not vegan…but boy u sure make it all look pretty.

Heather May 13, 2010

Sweet guy, that Oh He Glows!
I have many quick “go to” meals, as I don’t really like cooking big elaborate meals. Baking is another story…
Anyway, a fave would have to be gluten/dairy/egg free pancakes.
Super easy and only takes about 5 minutes.

LIsa May 13, 2010

I love when someone else does the cooking! And my go to meal is poached free range eggs on a ww English muffin. Satisfying and delicious!

Maria @ a Healthier Maria May 13, 2010

yumm I have never thought to prepare veggie burgers that way! I will definitely have to try this because I always have a hard time figuring out what to use besides cheese!

Also that is so funny about your cat. My dog does the exact same thing so I spend the entire time cracking up instead of concentrating on the yoga.

& my go to quick & easy meal is Amy’s pizzas. I try not to eat too much frozen food but these things are amazing. I went through a stage where they were the only thing I ever ate & had to force myself to stop!

Camille May 13, 2010

What a super looking wrap!
My go to “quick” meal is any variation on oats: savory oats, sweet oats… anything!

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary May 13, 2010

My favorite go to quickie dinner has to be an egg sandwich and some fruit OR exactly what you had. HEHE Infact, I made a bbq ‘burger’ (Amy’s Cali – will have to try the texas one!) with a sandwich thin, red onion and mashed cado with some baked sweet potato. I was so hungry, I made the burger and ate it and then had the taters as a second course ;)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 13, 2010

My go to meals are definitely frozen chicken burgers too. Or oatmeal, cause I’m always craving it :)

Wei-Wei May 13, 2010

Strange… my reply is the same as Camille, above! I turn to savoury oats with chopped veggies added in (plus some flavouring from this savoury oatmeal-flavour packet) because… well, that’s the only thing I really know how to make.

I love how you named him Oh He Glows. Seems so weird to say out loud, though!

Wei-Wei

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 13, 2010

i’m a huge fan of pasta…come to think of it, that’s what’s going on for dinner here tonight! it’s always filling and always yummy, and you just can’t beat that :)

Sarah for Real May 13, 2010

My go-to meal is pasta too! I’ve always got some sort of noodles and a jar of marinara in the pantry. Add a quick salad and it’s a whole real meal!

Jen May 13, 2010

When I don’t feel like cooking, my #1 solution is to grab a cooked chicken at the grocery store and a bag of salad (or salad bar, if they have one)…nothing could be easier. How sweet of Mr.OHG to cook for you tonight! I have been having the longest, busiest week ever at work and did not feel like cooking tonight, but my hubby isn’t home :( Good thing there was chili in the freezer…leftovers work in a pinch, too!

Jodie May 13, 2010

My go to meal is a Spinach/ vege omelet, heavy on the veges and slice dry toast.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 13, 2010

Awwww how sweet of Eric! You’ve got a good one girl!

Rachael May 13, 2010

I’m with you on meals tasting amazing when prepared by someone else – especially a loved one who is acting out of kindness and compassion. My partner’s repertoire is small, but somehow, even a plain, baked sweet potato is perfect when coupled with his “I made this” look.
Love the cat’s expression – if Bikram teachers could copy that, they would bring discipline (fear?) to a whole new level…

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 13, 2010

When I’m working out and especially doing anything on the floor my cat always seems to show up and crawl all over me. :)

Heather May 13, 2010

the cat is creepy!
my go to meal is usually spaghetti

Lizzie May 13, 2010

My go to dinner is wholewheat pasta with Whole Foods brand pasta sauce (roasted red pepper, or sundried tomato and basil) and some goat cheese thrown in for a creamy taste. It’s quick, easy, healthy, (how? well when my husband and I were looking for a quick dinner it was white gnocchi, pasta sauce, and a wedge of (on sale) brie thrown in – tasted really good at the time, but could not stomach it ever again!!) In fact I am feeling nutrition deficient just talking about it :)

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches May 13, 2010

My go-to meal when I’m too tired to do anything is always eggs. They take three minutes to cook, taste amazing, and are sooooo satisfying. I love a good omelette for dinner….or an egg sandwich…or scrambled….or….! Gosh, I guess I’ll take eggs in any form really.

SweetKaroline May 13, 2010

an article you would be interested. Scott Jurek vegan ultramarathoner.

kate May 13, 2010

I agree 100% it tastes better when someone else makes it. I think thats the appeal of going out to eat.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers May 13, 2010

Hahaaa I just asked the same question at lunch… honestly veggie burgers are usually my go to as well. I didn’t have any today so I took a frozen box of veggies & barley, and mixed in black beans. Yum! (And it’s DEF better to have someone else make it for you…but that never happens in my house haha)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 13, 2010

My favorite go-to meal when I don’t feel like cooking was actually on the menu tonight – cereal! Sometimes, a big bowl of cold cereal for dinner is so satisfying for me – especially when I don’t feel like waiting more than 2 minutes to eat!
And you’re right…any meal prepared by someone else always tastes better! :-D

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 13, 2010

OMG! i think the devil took ahold of the cat! lol

ruby May 13, 2010

My fave meal for when I don’t want to cook is a refried bean wrap. Sometimes it’s just beans and salsa in a tortilla. Other times I re-heat leftover veggies and pile them on too. And of course there’s always a bowl of hot or cold cereal if I can’t be bothered building a wrap.

Amber K May 13, 2010

Our easiest meal is black bean wraps with brown rice and steamed veggies. 15 minutes tops. If you’re talking REAL laziness it is usually: open cupboard, grab bowl, dump cereal into bowl, eat. =)

Megan@EatScrapRun May 14, 2010

Angela, you are missing the best Thursday night show – 30 Rock! It took me awhile to get into it, but now my husband and I watch it every week. It’s hilarious.

Ela May 14, 2010

A go-to meal? I don’t think I have one! I cook every night for me and my boyfriend and the kitchen is somewhere I love to be so it’s a joy.
However sometimes when I’m just cooking for myself I will have scrambled eggs or baked beans on toast.

Ilana May 14, 2010

I think of myself as the laziest cook ever. Every cooked veg I eat, I probably steamed. I keep my steamer on the stove, for instant gratification. Every meal is literally whatever vegetables I have in the fridge, thrown into a bowl, topped with a quick dressing. Lazy and good. I’ve never tried Amy’s patties but they look quite good.

Triathlonbabe May 14, 2010

I love your food presentation, no matter what it is you are eating, it always looks good.

I feel your pain with being tired and headaches. We are putting in a lot of overtime for the next few months with a huge project we have taken on and putting in lots of hours. This is a rarity, as being a salaried employee this does not happen but we are being paid OT to put these hours in and get the project moving. I don’t mind it, but it really puts a damper on the lifestyle. I’m so tired, I don’t want to work out or run or anything for that matter. I barely had the energy to go to the opera on Wed. night. Ugh! I’m hoping next week I can get back to a regular schedule and working out like I always do. I only got in 2 days of runs and one day of strength trng and that doesn’t cut it for me. Those are the things that keep my sanity in check and when I don’t do those things I lose it.

As for quick fix meals, veggie patties are key for us as well. The other thing that is a quickie meal for us, is a big ol mixed green salad or Mary’s crackers or Doktor Kracker’s w/hummus and olives is big quickie for me.

Page 1 of 212»