The Hunger Monster Returns

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 7, 2010

Whohoo Friday night! :mrgreen:

Apparently there is a party going on in our backyard…

IMG_6374

Don’t be fooled by his cuteness…he leaves ‘surprises’ on our deck for us!

IMG_6283

The squirrels and raccoons love climbing up on our ‘squirrel proof’ bird feeder. Last summer, I also saw the raccoon hanging from it!

img-2103-thumb

Little buggers! ;)

Amazingly, I made it to the lunchtime swim today just in the nick of time! I had a speedy yet satisfying workout.

Today’s Routine:

• Freestyle- 25 metres
  • Breaststroke- 25 metres
  • Flutter board- 50 metres

I did this 7.5 times for a total of 750 metres/30 lengths. My time today was just under 25 minutes. I was really pushing myself and I was so out of breath, which made it hard to do the bilateral breathing during the freestyle. I do a breath every 3 strokes and I was barely making it today!!!

I noticed a couple things today:

• My ankles get sore when I use the flutterboard to work on my kick. Hopefully they get stronger over time!
  • My arms were sore today…not sure if that was the baking I did all morning or what (I mix every batch by hand).

I finished the swim with 3 minutes of treading water and 2 more pool lengths for a speedy 30 min. swim.

In conclusion:

1) Swimming is HARD. No run I have ever done has challenged my lungs in this way, except for maybe my 2 half marathon races!

2) Swimming makes me soooo hungry. More hungry than running!

I barely made it back to the car before I broke into my Glo Bar emergency stash!

IMG_0738

It was so needed.

I came home and I was craving a fresh juice in a MAJOR way.

IMG_6366

In the juice: 4 carrots, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 cuke.

It wasn’t my best combo to date, but it did the trick! Then it was onto lunch.

IMG_6378

Quinoa + Mushroom Tomato Sauce Wrap

Ingredients:

• 1.5 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup pasta sauce
  • 1 can organic canned mushrooms
  • 1 Ezekiel wrap
  • Seasonings, Salt, pepper

Directions: Cook quinoa. Mix together pasta sauce and drained mushrooms and heat. Scoop quinoa and sauce onto a wrap and serve.

IMG_6387

For some strange reason, I have been obsessed with canned mushrooms since I was a child!!! It is the only canned veggie I buy occasionally. I just love the taste of canned mushrooms for some reason! When my mom and I used to make pizza, I would always steal a few canned mushrooms with pizza sauce on them before they went into the oven. Bliss!

IMG_6377

This wrap was major.

IMG_6389

Dessert…2 organic dates…aka- nature’s candy! YUM!!! I love dates so much. I used to be scared of them because of how they look (cockroaches!), but I am so glad that I tried them.

IMG_6305

[Insert afternoon of work here.]

[Insert crazy bird smashing over and over into our windows all day long.]

DINNER:

IMG_6465

One of my favourite easy dinners = roasted vegetables.

IMG_6409

1 parsnip, carrots, 1 huge sweet potato, 2 red peppers, 1 sweet onion.

IMG_6413

IMG_6414

IMG_6419

Roasted Vegetables:

Directions: Chop them all up, throw them into a big plastic container, add EVOO + salt, pepper, seasonings…put the lid on and SHAKE!!!

IMG_6425

x 2

IMG_6428

Throw onto a baking pan lined with tin foil and bake for about 50-60 minutes at 400F, tossing once half way through.

IMG_6429

After 1 hour the house smelled ahhhh-mazing.

IMG_6438

I had mine with leftover quinoa.

IMG_6444

IMG_6448 (2)

and Orange water ;)

IMG_6456

IMG_6463

It was quite possibly the perfect dinner. The hunger monster was silenced. For now.

I’m off to work on the website re-design. Keep your eyes peeled for the new look which I hope to reveal this weekend!

Enjoy your night :)

Jenny May 7, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Ugh my hunger monster has yet to barely make an appearance today! I wish she would;)

Marissa May 7, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Yummy eats! I admit that I am still scared to try dates!

Nienke at Revel May 7, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I love how you use a fancy glass for your ‘orange water’!! It’s like when “Holly” Golightly drink milk out of a martini glass in Breakfast at Tiffany’s :)

P.S. Racoons are big meanies

EaterNotARunner May 7, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I’m still turned off by the way dates look…yuck!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices May 7, 2010 at 7:28 pm

You have so many creatures in your backyard!! I don’t think I would do well with them considering I am scared of squirrels ever since 2 made their way in my apartment (I left a window open about an inch by accident and they got in!). I give you so much credit for your swimming workouts! Go you!

Kristina ( spabettie! ) May 7, 2010 at 7:32 pm

oh no. now each time I eat a date I’m going to think of cockroaches. we are having all the brother / sister / parents over tomorrow for Mom’s Day BBQ… one of my menu items includes dates. Hmm.

*LOVE* the third photo of the raccoon + feeder! just goin’ for it!

have a fabulous weekend!

Angela (ohsheglows) May 7, 2010 at 7:38 pm

sorry :(

Kristina ( spabettie! ) May 7, 2010 at 11:17 pm

’tis ok… I just ate one, and I’ll be fine.

oh, and *LOOOOOVE YOUR NEW LAYOUT* !!

Beautiful !

:) Cheers

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010 at 11:35 pm

haha glad you are ok ;)

Daniel May 7, 2010 at 7:33 pm

That looks like my kind of dinner! How much EVOO do you use when you put it in the container and shake? I’m still a bit nervous about using large amounts of oil so I was just curious. And do you eat the whole pan by yourself? (I normally do so that’s why I’m worried about the oil, haha.)

I really need to try dates and buy some Ezekiel wraps again! I got them once and didn’t like how chewy they were but I think my taste might have changed :P

Angela (ohsheglows) May 7, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I used about 1 tbsp total and I split the veggies with Eric :)

nut May 7, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Sounds like you had a good day.
Stuff your dates with nut butter or coconut butter – so yummy! I need to buy some more. Dates and raisins are great in oatmeal and cereal also.

Have a lovely evening.

Cynthia (It All Changes) May 7, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I always laugh at videos of things like that ;-)

You are right that swimming is a hard workout. I loved doing it when I wasn’t allowed to run with my back problems.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) May 7, 2010 at 7:59 pm

i JUST silenced my hunger monster with a delicious after-dinner snack! vitatop and chocolate pudding!

Camille May 7, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I love your glass! It’s so cool!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 7, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Quinoa is one of my new favorite foods.

Krystina May 7, 2010 at 8:25 pm

I now know what’s for dinner tomorrow. Thanks Angela!

Jil May 7, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Ohh those veggies look amazing!!

Betsy H. May 7, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Your dinner looked amazing. I love roasted veggies too. Never roasted parsnips…must try that :) Quinoa is so yummy. It is good mixed with garlic and spinach too.

Hope you have a great weekend :)

Lisa May 7, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Swimming creates a hunger like no other exercise. After a good swim session I am so hungry I want to eat everything in sight!!!! I’d eat my shoe!!! I haven’t experienced that hunger with any other exercise.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I now why is that!?

Allison @ Food For Healing May 7, 2010 at 8:49 pm

definitely some tasty looking food there.

thats funny how squirrels and raccoon get into the feeder thats made to keep them out haha. gees.

[email protected] May 7, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Your dinner looks so good. I have to start buying myself fun glasses and dishes, although I don’t want to end up with a whole cabinent like you :)

Danielle (Coffee Run) May 7, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I think maybe running feels easier because we’re acclimated to it. I did Jillian’s shred the other day and was dyingggg and super hungry…hungrier than I would have been after an 8 mile run lol

[Insert crazy bird smashing over and over into our windows all day long.] <– haha

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 7, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Roasted veggies are THE best! I’ve never cooked mine that long (I’m usually too impatient) but I bet they end up with much better flavor and texture. I think I’ll have to plan ahead of time next time ;)
P.S. – The bird smashing into your window comment literally made me laugh out loud…haha, thanks! :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 7, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Omigoodness I think that I absolutely HAVE to try the quinoa + mushroom wrap. I would have never thought of that pairing but it sounds delicious.

tasha - the clean eating mama May 7, 2010 at 9:22 pm

roasted veggies are the best! I love seeing wildlife in your backyard. Growing up, we had a slat lick for the quiet deer that would wonder around. Living in the city just isn’t the same.

Run Sarah May 7, 2010 at 9:23 pm

That raccoon bird feeder photo is hilarious! Its so weird, I used to always be so out of breath running but could swim forever. Now I haven’t swam much so not sure how out of breath I would be, but its funny how for many others its the opposite! I LOVE that combo of roasted vegetables, I made a similar baking pan earlier in the week. Amazing!

Wei-Wei May 7, 2010 at 9:41 pm

The wrap looks aaaaahmazing! And your dinner. Ohmagawd. Roasted veggies = HEAVENNN!

have a great night! :)

Wei-Wei

Carolyn @ lovinlosing May 7, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I randomly looked out my window the other day and saw a raccoon sauntering across the yard. It freaked me out a little since they’re nocturnal so I wondered if it might be rabid or something.

Erica May 7, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Good job with your swim successes! You’re doing great for just starting the sport. I think you’re going to do a fantastic triathlon

When I first started swimming, bilateral breathing was a killer! But now I like to do breath-control sets where you breath every 9, 7, then 5 strokes. It can be challenging but it’s so neat when you start to see yourself improve over time!

Tonight’s dinner looked so yummy. :)

(Accidentally posted this comment on your lunch post! Oops!)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I’d love to swim for workout but we don’t have a pool around – it sounds great!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) May 7, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Swimming definitely makes me super hungry! I LOVE quinoa. The wrap looks delicious and those veggies…YUM! Have a great evening and good luck with the redesign! Can’t wait to see it!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 7, 2010 at 10:13 pm

roasted veggies are a huge favorite of mine, and so are canned mushrooms! i can’t wait to see the redesign..it’s going to be amazing :)

Shelly May 7, 2010 at 10:17 pm

yum those meals look so delicious!
I am liking this new website layout…liking the blue and white.
You look so pretty in that picture you used for your header :)

Grace aka Triathlonbabe May 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I love animals, regardless of what they are and those pics just prove how wonderful and curious nature can be. Love it!!!

Your roasted veggies are so colorful it makes me hungry. Question, I love Quinoa but I only have one recipe for them and it has all these additions, do you or any of your fellow bloggers or responders have a plain quinoa recipe, where I can make one huge pot and fix them however I want for different meals?

It’s odd because when I sweat during a workout, I’m thirsty and don’t really have an appetite but when I swim I want to eat anything I can find.

I googled why swimming makes us so hungry…here’s what I found: Swimming is an activity that uses many muscle groups at once. Unlike other types of exercise that focus on a particular group of muscles. This causes the body to use more energy. Energy is supplied to the body through food intake.

Fitness on-line says this on this link: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/tips/expert-advice/why-am-i-always-hungry-after-swimming/

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010 at 10:54 pm

That is interesting! I am definitely much more out of breath when I swim and my arms and legs are all sore at once.

Priyanka May 7, 2010 at 10:26 pm

oh my gosh same here, I have always loved canned mushrooms.

I love the new layout and the header is amazing!

Katie May 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Hi Angela!
I really love your blog. You do a great job. I think the new layout looks nice but I would either left or right justify everything in your second column. When things are centered, it kind of looks dated. Otherwise, keep up the great work. You are such a breath of fresh air.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Yes I agree, however I couldnt figure out how to change it. I’m going to inspect the element in firefox. Should be an easy change

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010 at 11:28 pm

its fixed! yawhoo

Katie May 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I noticed it right away when I popped over today. MUCH better! :)

Carly @ The Road To Health May 7, 2010 at 10:55 pm

OMG Angela I love the new blog look! :)

jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 7, 2010 at 10:56 pm

LOVE the new blog layout! the picture of you in the header is gorg

Katie May 7, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I get super hungry after swimming too. As for your ankle – you may be kicking with your lower leg in that case. Your power should come from the waist and thighs. I like to concentrate on “swinging” my hips a bit with the kick. Your knees shouldn’t really be bending at all.

Hope that helps with the ankle! If not, definitely do ankle rolls before and after to stretch!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Oh wow I didnt know that! I will try this next swim. Thanks for the tip :)

Jen May 7, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Hey Ange – had to share this recipe with you, since you’re a quinoa fan. I had this for lunch all last week and cannot believe how full it kept me. My lunch break is at 12:30 and I was usually just getting hungry for dinner around 6 pm; not bad for just under 300 calories! (I added a cup of canned chickpeas to this recipe): http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Quinoa-Greek-Salad-97764

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010 at 11:29 pm

OMG. Making this…as in tomorrow! Thank you!!!!!!!

Amy May 7, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Swimming always cranks up my hunger and I love your new page design!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Thanks everyone!

Sara May 8, 2010 at 12:02 am

Hi Angela,

Make sure to relax your ankles when you use a kickboard…it’ll help you to go faster and will put less stress on your ankles. :)

Sara May 8, 2010 at 12:10 am

We had the exact same dinner tonight: roasted vegetables and quinoa! Weird!

Your new design is great! And your masthead is beautiful. Nice work!

Fifi May 8, 2010 at 12:15 am

Oh my, that quinoa wrap is calling my name… I’m making it for dinner!

Have you heard of the Total Immersion DVDs? That was how I learnt to swim freestyle and improve on my form (all without a personal coach). It’s basically a set of swim drills that you practice to gradually get to a level where you’re a really efficient swimmer. They lately came out with one for open water swimming too. There are some videos on YouTube or you could get it from Amazon. I hope this was helpful (:

P.S. Love the new layout!

Julie May 8, 2010 at 12:19 am

Wow, I love the new look! It’s really fresh and minimalistic – in a good way. And love the blue :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 8, 2010 at 12:30 am

WOW! Your new layout is GLOWING. I love it. You’re using Thesis now? I wish I had the blogging knowledge to create such an aesthetically pleasing site. Is that you in the header? I don’t think it looks like it, but perhaps it is. Great job to you [and Eric]!

Lindsay May 8, 2010 at 1:00 am

This is kinda random, but I love the color of your juice! For some reason, brightly colored drinks really intrigue me. I think that’s part of how I was persuaded to try a green monster.

William May 8, 2010 at 1:21 am

I love canned mushrooms too. Heck, who am I kidding? I love them fresh, canned, dried, etc. Ha ha!

Cristy @ bottegalyla.com May 8, 2010 at 1:34 am

Can we please talk about the layout?! I LOVE it!!! Well done! And you look gorgeous in the header! (As always!!! :) )

Megan @ Sweet On May 8, 2010 at 2:06 am

Holy redesign, Batman! AMAZING! :D

Wei-Wei May 8, 2010 at 2:37 am

I need to talk to you about this design.

I am dying on the inside.

I am stunned.

Beyond belief.

This is beautiful. You are beautiful. Your blog is beautiful.

Can I marry this layout?

Little Aspects May 8, 2010 at 2:56 am

New layout looks great! Very fresh and minimalistic :-)

Ester May 8, 2010 at 4:06 am

I don’t usually comment but I just have to say that I loooove the new design! Elegant, cool & visual.

Sarah @ cocoanutshakes May 8, 2010 at 4:22 am

your new header makes me feel like i have some vicarious glowing goin on.

i just started liking dates too!!! especially stuffed with almond butter =) i think i have larabars to thank….my lazy larabar recipe is 1 date + almond butter + salt, on a spoon.

jassy May 8, 2010 at 5:12 am

nice layout!

I’m really curious with the taste of quinoa and parsnip…i don’t think it’s available at my side of town=)

Keri May 8, 2010 at 5:21 am

Love the new look! Beautiful picture!

Suzanne May 8, 2010 at 6:25 am

I love canned mushrooms tooooo!!!! ;-)

Kamaile May 8, 2010 at 6:29 am

Eewww to canned mushrooms :-) but the wrap looks good! Love the new layout!

Lynne May 8, 2010 at 6:31 am

Love the new look blog! You look stunning! :-)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 8, 2010 at 6:52 am

WOW! I love the new blog layout, it is gorgeous!!!

Those animal pics ARE cute, but I know how much trouble they can be!! Speaking of animals, we just brought Stella home last night, so she is going to have to come meet Sketchie some time :)

And mmmmm…. roasted veg. So comforting!

xo
K

Katie May 8, 2010 at 7:20 am

The new layout is gorgeous, it’s so clean looking and fresh.
Love it!

m May 8, 2010 at 7:23 am

I LOVE your new header — you look gorgeous!

Jennifer May 8, 2010 at 7:32 am

Wow, I LOVE the new look!! Where did you get those glass straws? I know you’ve told us but I can’t find the post. I love dates too, they ARE candy!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 8, 2010 at 7:38 am

I love the new look of the blog!

Dinner looks amazing. I love vegetable dishes with all those different colours. :D

melanie May 8, 2010 at 7:56 am

Quick tip…a pan of dog food placed away from the bird feeders will satisfy the raccoon. A pan of chicken scratch and/or sunflower seeds will work for the squirrel. My mom has always fed any wild creature in the backyard (including possums). Now the raccoon taps on the back door when she’s late with the food;). But they mostly leave the bird feeders alone now!

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas May 8, 2010 at 7:58 am

I can’t believe I’ve found another person who loves canned mushrooms! I thought I was the only one with that dirty little secret!

When I was little, my grandmother always kept a few cans in the pantry for me. She’s cook them in a pot on the stove for me. It’s a great memory. Something about that smell…

That, and picking fresh kohlrabi for my afterschool snack. Good stuff.

Gavi May 8, 2010 at 8:09 am

Your new website looks amazing, Angela!! I’m so excited for you!! :)

Denise May 8, 2010 at 8:34 am

Awesome New Look!!! And your picture in the blue halter really does GLOW!

Jen May 8, 2010 at 8:35 am

I love your new web design!

Oh, and I will never look at a date the same way again. You’re right! They do look like roaches! yuck!

Brittany May 8, 2010 at 8:36 am

The new layout looks awesome Angela. I love it!

It’s funny because I have been obsessed with canned mushrooms as well. I could eat a whole small can in one setting, but my mom would always try to stop me because she said they were expensive.

Lastly, roasted veggies for dinner is simply the best ever. So easy, yet so so delicious.

Have a great weekend my lady.

ellen eats beets May 8, 2010 at 9:11 am

swimming makes me soooo hungry. Love canned mushrooms too, its such a great flavor. Just wanted to say i used to read a lot, cut back bc of school, but I’m back and the layout looks great!!

Diana May 8, 2010 at 9:30 am

I love the new layout Angela! Much simpler and less cluttered! Love it!

Ivy May 8, 2010 at 9:34 am

I love the new layout! Much nicer to look at :)

Taylor May 8, 2010 at 10:20 am

Hey Angela,
Off topic, but me and my husband are going to Europe in September for 2 weeks…We’re still trying to figure out the kinks of where we’re going, etc. etc. Since you went there for your honeymoon, is there one place you recommend that we absolutely can’t miss? I’m trying to get lots of perspectives. Thanks :)

Hilary (Red Head, Yellow Dog) May 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

Hey Angela – question: what was the website where you made those awesome photo books of your wedding and of sketchie? I wanted to make one of Toby for James for his birthday :) Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010 at 8:01 pm

blurb.com!

Zainab May 8, 2010 at 11:57 am

Is there a post describing how you started swimming? There is a pool at my gym and I’m dying to use it but I have no idea how to start!

Hillary May 8, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Love Love Love the new look!!
My best friend introduced me to your website with your Project Glow. I was having a huge problem with acne and it was really starting to get to me. Well it has been just over a month and I have to saw my skin is glowing. I mentioned it to my friend last night and she agreed. We then just said “Angela knows all.” Thank you so much and keep up the great work!

Susan May 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Ahhhhh!!! I LOVE the new layout!!! Definitely worth the wait :D

Okay, so I’m not entirely sure how much truth there is to this, but I vaguely recall reading an article that swimming elevates your hunger because your body has to try harder to regulate it’s temperature after. I should look into that again!

Carla in Sydney May 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm

That racoon is the cutest thing ever! We don’t get them here (Australia) so I see them as adorable instead of the “pest” that I imagine they can be over there. I was on holiday in California last October and I went to a beach at Carmel – on the way from San Fran back to LA – and I came across 2 squirrells. I was so EXCITED and spent hours with them jumping all over my lap. Koalas are certainly cute to look at but you can’t get “up close and personal” like I did with these squirrells!

Also – Can you please tell me what EVOO is? Is it an oil? Thanks for your help Angela! :-)