The Hunger Monster Returns

Whohoo Friday night! :mrgreen:

Apparently there is a party going on in our backyard…

IMG 6374 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

Don’t be fooled by his cuteness…he leaves ‘surprises’ on our deck for us!

IMG 6283 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

The squirrels and raccoons love climbing up on our ‘squirrel proof’ bird feeder. Last summer, I also saw the raccoon hanging from it!

img2103thumb thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

Little buggers! ;)

Amazingly, I made it to the lunchtime swim today just in the nick of time! I had a speedy yet satisfying workout.

Today’s Routine:

• Freestyle- 25 metres
  • Breaststroke- 25 metres
  • Flutter board- 50 metres

I did this 7.5 times for a total of 750 metres/30 lengths. My time today was just under 25 minutes. I was really pushing myself and I was so out of breath, which made it hard to do the bilateral breathing during the freestyle. I do a breath every 3 strokes and I was barely making it today!!!

I noticed a couple things today:

• My ankles get sore when I use the flutterboard to work on my kick. Hopefully they get stronger over time!
  • My arms were sore today…not sure if that was the baking I did all morning or what (I mix every batch by hand).

I finished the swim with 3 minutes of treading water and 2 more pool lengths for a speedy 30 min. swim.

In conclusion:

1) Swimming is HARD. No run I have ever done has challenged my lungs in this way, except for maybe my 2 half marathon races!

2) Swimming makes me soooo hungry. More hungry than running!

I barely made it back to the car before I broke into my Glo Bar emergency stash!

IMG 0738 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

It was so needed.

I came home and I was craving a fresh juice in a MAJOR way.

IMG 6366 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

In the juice: 4 carrots, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 cuke.

It wasn’t my best combo to date, but it did the trick! Then it was onto lunch.

IMG 6378 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

Quinoa + Mushroom Tomato Sauce Wrap

Ingredients:

• 1.5 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup pasta sauce
  • 1 can organic canned mushrooms
  • 1 Ezekiel wrap
  • Seasonings, Salt, pepper

Directions: Cook quinoa. Mix together pasta sauce and drained mushrooms and heat. Scoop quinoa and sauce onto a wrap and serve.

IMG 6387 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

For some strange reason, I have been obsessed with canned mushrooms since I was a child!!! It is the only canned veggie I buy occasionally. I just love the taste of canned mushrooms for some reason! When my mom and I used to make pizza, I would always steal a few canned mushrooms with pizza sauce on them before they went into the oven. Bliss!

IMG 6377 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

This wrap was major.

IMG 6389 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

Dessert…2 organic dates…aka- nature’s candy! YUM!!! I love dates so much. I used to be scared of them because of how they look (cockroaches!), but I am so glad that I tried them.

IMG 6305 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

[Insert afternoon of work here.]

[Insert crazy bird smashing over and over into our windows all day long.]

DINNER:

IMG 6465 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

One of my favourite easy dinners = roasted vegetables.

IMG 6409 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

1 parsnip, carrots, 1 huge sweet potato, 2 red peppers, 1 sweet onion.

IMG 6413 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

IMG 6414 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

IMG 6419 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

Roasted Vegetables:

Directions: Chop them all up, throw them into a big plastic container, add EVOO + salt, pepper, seasonings…put the lid on and SHAKE!!!

IMG 6425 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

x 2

IMG 6428 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

Throw onto a baking pan lined with tin foil and bake for about 50-60 minutes at 400F, tossing once half way through.

IMG 6429 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

After 1 hour the house smelled ahhhh-mazing.

IMG 6438 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

I had mine with leftover quinoa.

IMG 6444 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

IMG 64482 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

and Orange water ;)

IMG 6456 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

IMG 6463 thumb   The Hunger Monster Returns

It was quite possibly the perfect dinner. The hunger monster was silenced. For now.

I’m off to work on the website re-design. Keep your eyes peeled for the new look which I hope to reveal this weekend!

Enjoy your night :)

Jenny May 7, 2010

Ugh my hunger monster has yet to barely make an appearance today! I wish she would;)

Marissa May 7, 2010

Yummy eats! I admit that I am still scared to try dates!

Nienke at Revel May 7, 2010

I love how you use a fancy glass for your ‘orange water’!! It’s like when “Holly” Golightly drink milk out of a martini glass in Breakfast at Tiffany’s :)

P.S. Racoons are big meanies

EaterNotARunner May 7, 2010

I’m still turned off by the way dates look…yuck!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices May 7, 2010

You have so many creatures in your backyard!! I don’t think I would do well with them considering I am scared of squirrels ever since 2 made their way in my apartment (I left a window open about an inch by accident and they got in!). I give you so much credit for your swimming workouts! Go you!

Kristina ( spabettie! ) May 7, 2010

oh no. now each time I eat a date I’m going to think of cockroaches. we are having all the brother / sister / parents over tomorrow for Mom’s Day BBQ… one of my menu items includes dates. Hmm.

*LOVE* the third photo of the raccoon + feeder! just goin’ for it!

have a fabulous weekend!

Angela (ohsheglows) May 7, 2010

sorry :(

Kristina ( spabettie! ) May 7, 2010

’tis ok… I just ate one, and I’ll be fine.

oh, and *LOOOOOVE YOUR NEW LAYOUT* !!

Beautiful !

:) Cheers

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010

haha glad you are ok ;)

Daniel May 7, 2010

That looks like my kind of dinner! How much EVOO do you use when you put it in the container and shake? I’m still a bit nervous about using large amounts of oil so I was just curious. And do you eat the whole pan by yourself? (I normally do so that’s why I’m worried about the oil, haha.)

I really need to try dates and buy some Ezekiel wraps again! I got them once and didn’t like how chewy they were but I think my taste might have changed :P

Angela (ohsheglows) May 7, 2010

I used about 1 tbsp total and I split the veggies with Eric :)

nut May 7, 2010

Sounds like you had a good day.
Stuff your dates with nut butter or coconut butter – so yummy! I need to buy some more. Dates and raisins are great in oatmeal and cereal also.

Have a lovely evening.

Cynthia (It All Changes) May 7, 2010

I always laugh at videos of things like that ;-)

You are right that swimming is a hard workout. I loved doing it when I wasn’t allowed to run with my back problems.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) May 7, 2010

i JUST silenced my hunger monster with a delicious after-dinner snack! vitatop and chocolate pudding!

Camille May 7, 2010

I love your glass! It’s so cool!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 7, 2010

Quinoa is one of my new favorite foods.

Krystina May 7, 2010

I now know what’s for dinner tomorrow. Thanks Angela!

Jil May 7, 2010

Ohh those veggies look amazing!!

Betsy H. May 7, 2010

Your dinner looked amazing. I love roasted veggies too. Never roasted parsnips…must try that :) Quinoa is so yummy. It is good mixed with garlic and spinach too.

Hope you have a great weekend :)

Lisa May 7, 2010

Swimming creates a hunger like no other exercise. After a good swim session I am so hungry I want to eat everything in sight!!!! I’d eat my shoe!!! I haven’t experienced that hunger with any other exercise.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010

I now why is that!?

Allison @ Food For Healing May 7, 2010

definitely some tasty looking food there.

thats funny how squirrels and raccoon get into the feeder thats made to keep them out haha. gees.

Megan@EatScrapRun May 7, 2010

Your dinner looks so good. I have to start buying myself fun glasses and dishes, although I don’t want to end up with a whole cabinent like you :)

Danielle (Coffee Run) May 7, 2010

I think maybe running feels easier because we’re acclimated to it. I did Jillian’s shred the other day and was dyingggg and super hungry…hungrier than I would have been after an 8 mile run lol

[Insert crazy bird smashing over and over into our windows all day long.] <– haha

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 7, 2010

Roasted veggies are THE best! I’ve never cooked mine that long (I’m usually too impatient) but I bet they end up with much better flavor and texture. I think I’ll have to plan ahead of time next time ;)
P.S. – The bird smashing into your window comment literally made me laugh out loud…haha, thanks! :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 7, 2010

Omigoodness I think that I absolutely HAVE to try the quinoa + mushroom wrap. I would have never thought of that pairing but it sounds delicious.

tasha - the clean eating mama May 7, 2010

roasted veggies are the best! I love seeing wildlife in your backyard. Growing up, we had a slat lick for the quiet deer that would wonder around. Living in the city just isn’t the same.

Run Sarah May 7, 2010

That raccoon bird feeder photo is hilarious! Its so weird, I used to always be so out of breath running but could swim forever. Now I haven’t swam much so not sure how out of breath I would be, but its funny how for many others its the opposite! I LOVE that combo of roasted vegetables, I made a similar baking pan earlier in the week. Amazing!

Wei-Wei May 7, 2010

The wrap looks aaaaahmazing! And your dinner. Ohmagawd. Roasted veggies = HEAVENNN!

have a great night! :)

Wei-Wei

Carolyn @ lovinlosing May 7, 2010

I randomly looked out my window the other day and saw a raccoon sauntering across the yard. It freaked me out a little since they’re nocturnal so I wondered if it might be rabid or something.

Erica May 7, 2010

Good job with your swim successes! You’re doing great for just starting the sport. I think you’re going to do a fantastic triathlon

When I first started swimming, bilateral breathing was a killer! But now I like to do breath-control sets where you breath every 9, 7, then 5 strokes. It can be challenging but it’s so neat when you start to see yourself improve over time!

Tonight’s dinner looked so yummy. :)

(Accidentally posted this comment on your lunch post! Oops!)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 7, 2010

I’d love to swim for workout but we don’t have a pool around – it sounds great!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) May 7, 2010

Swimming definitely makes me super hungry! I LOVE quinoa. The wrap looks delicious and those veggies…YUM! Have a great evening and good luck with the redesign! Can’t wait to see it!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 7, 2010

roasted veggies are a huge favorite of mine, and so are canned mushrooms! i can’t wait to see the redesign..it’s going to be amazing :)

Shelly May 7, 2010

yum those meals look so delicious!
I am liking this new website layout…liking the blue and white.
You look so pretty in that picture you used for your header :)

Grace aka Triathlonbabe May 7, 2010

I love animals, regardless of what they are and those pics just prove how wonderful and curious nature can be. Love it!!!

Your roasted veggies are so colorful it makes me hungry. Question, I love Quinoa but I only have one recipe for them and it has all these additions, do you or any of your fellow bloggers or responders have a plain quinoa recipe, where I can make one huge pot and fix them however I want for different meals?

It’s odd because when I sweat during a workout, I’m thirsty and don’t really have an appetite but when I swim I want to eat anything I can find.

I googled why swimming makes us so hungry…here’s what I found: Swimming is an activity that uses many muscle groups at once. Unlike other types of exercise that focus on a particular group of muscles. This causes the body to use more energy. Energy is supplied to the body through food intake.

Fitness on-line says this on this link: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/tips/expert-advice/why-am-i-always-hungry-after-swimming/

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010

That is interesting! I am definitely much more out of breath when I swim and my arms and legs are all sore at once.

Priyanka May 7, 2010

oh my gosh same here, I have always loved canned mushrooms.

I love the new layout and the header is amazing!

Katie May 7, 2010

Hi Angela!
I really love your blog. You do a great job. I think the new layout looks nice but I would either left or right justify everything in your second column. When things are centered, it kind of looks dated. Otherwise, keep up the great work. You are such a breath of fresh air.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010

Yes I agree, however I couldnt figure out how to change it. I’m going to inspect the element in firefox. Should be an easy change

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010

its fixed! yawhoo

Katie May 8, 2010

I noticed it right away when I popped over today. MUCH better! :)

Carly @ The Road To Health May 7, 2010

OMG Angela I love the new blog look! :)

jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 7, 2010

LOVE the new blog layout! the picture of you in the header is gorg

Katie May 7, 2010

I get super hungry after swimming too. As for your ankle – you may be kicking with your lower leg in that case. Your power should come from the waist and thighs. I like to concentrate on “swinging” my hips a bit with the kick. Your knees shouldn’t really be bending at all.

Hope that helps with the ankle! If not, definitely do ankle rolls before and after to stretch!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010

Oh wow I didnt know that! I will try this next swim. Thanks for the tip :)

Jen May 7, 2010

Hey Ange – had to share this recipe with you, since you’re a quinoa fan. I had this for lunch all last week and cannot believe how full it kept me. My lunch break is at 12:30 and I was usually just getting hungry for dinner around 6 pm; not bad for just under 300 calories! (I added a cup of canned chickpeas to this recipe): http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Quinoa-Greek-Salad-97764

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010

OMG. Making this…as in tomorrow! Thank you!!!!!!!

Amy May 7, 2010

Swimming always cranks up my hunger and I love your new page design!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2010

Thanks everyone!

Sara May 8, 2010

Hi Angela,

Make sure to relax your ankles when you use a kickboard…it’ll help you to go faster and will put less stress on your ankles. :)

Page 1 of 212»