The Hunger Monster Returns

Whohoo Friday night! :mrgreen:

Apparently there is a party going on in our backyard…

IMG_6374

Don’t be fooled by his cuteness…he leaves ‘surprises’ on our deck for us!

IMG_6283

The squirrels and raccoons love climbing up on our ‘squirrel proof’ bird feeder. Last summer, I also saw the raccoon hanging from it!

img-2103-thumb

Little buggers! ;)

Amazingly, I made it to the lunchtime swim today just in the nick of time! I had a speedy yet satisfying workout.

Today’s Routine:

• Freestyle- 25 metres
  • Breaststroke- 25 metres
  • Flutter board- 50 metres

I did this 7.5 times for a total of 750 metres/30 lengths. My time today was just under 25 minutes. I was really pushing myself and I was so out of breath, which made it hard to do the bilateral breathing during the freestyle. I do a breath every 3 strokes and I was barely making it today!!!

I noticed a couple things today:

• My ankles get sore when I use the flutterboard to work on my kick. Hopefully they get stronger over time!
  • My arms were sore today…not sure if that was the baking I did all morning or what (I mix every batch by hand).

I finished the swim with 3 minutes of treading water and 2 more pool lengths for a speedy 30 min. swim.

In conclusion:

1) Swimming is HARD. No run I have ever done has challenged my lungs in this way, except for maybe my 2 half marathon races!

2) Swimming makes me soooo hungry. More hungry than running!

I barely made it back to the car before I broke into my Glo Bar emergency stash!

IMG_0738

It was so needed.

I came home and I was craving a fresh juice in a MAJOR way.

IMG_6366

In the juice: 4 carrots, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 cuke.

It wasn’t my best combo to date, but it did the trick! Then it was onto lunch.

IMG_6378

Quinoa + Mushroom Tomato Sauce Wrap

Ingredients:

• 1.5 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup pasta sauce
  • 1 can organic canned mushrooms
  • 1 Ezekiel wrap
  • Seasonings, Salt, pepper

Directions: Cook quinoa. Mix together pasta sauce and drained mushrooms and heat. Scoop quinoa and sauce onto a wrap and serve.

IMG_6387

For some strange reason, I have been obsessed with canned mushrooms since I was a child!!! It is the only canned veggie I buy occasionally. I just love the taste of canned mushrooms for some reason! When my mom and I used to make pizza, I would always steal a few canned mushrooms with pizza sauce on them before they went into the oven. Bliss!

IMG_6377

This wrap was major.

IMG_6389

Dessert…2 organic dates…aka- nature’s candy! YUM!!! I love dates so much. I used to be scared of them because of how they look (cockroaches!), but I am so glad that I tried them.

IMG_6305

[Insert afternoon of work here.]

[Insert crazy bird smashing over and over into our windows all day long.]

DINNER:

IMG_6465

One of my favourite easy dinners = roasted vegetables.

IMG_6409

1 parsnip, carrots, 1 huge sweet potato, 2 red peppers, 1 sweet onion.

IMG_6413

IMG_6414

IMG_6419

Roasted Vegetables:

Directions: Chop them all up, throw them into a big plastic container, add EVOO + salt, pepper, seasonings…put the lid on and SHAKE!!!

IMG_6425

x 2

IMG_6428

Throw onto a baking pan lined with tin foil and bake for about 50-60 minutes at 400F, tossing once half way through.

IMG_6429

After 1 hour the house smelled ahhhh-mazing.

IMG_6438

I had mine with leftover quinoa.

IMG_6444

IMG_6448 (2)

and Orange water ;)

IMG_6456

IMG_6463

It was quite possibly the perfect dinner. The hunger monster was silenced. For now.

I’m off to work on the website re-design. Keep your eyes peeled for the new look which I hope to reveal this weekend!

Enjoy your night :)

Page 2 of 2«12
Carla in Sydney May 9, 2010

That racoon is the cutest thing ever! We don’t get them here (Australia) so I see them as adorable instead of the “pest” that I imagine they can be over there. I was on holiday in California last October and I went to a beach at Carmel – on the way from San Fran back to LA – and I came across 2 squirrells. I was so EXCITED and spent hours with them jumping all over my lap. Koalas are certainly cute to look at but you can’t get “up close and personal” like I did with these squirrells!

Also – Can you please tell me what EVOO is? Is it an oil? Thanks for your help Angela! :-)

Susan May 8, 2010

Ahhhhh!!! I LOVE the new layout!!! Definitely worth the wait :D

Okay, so I’m not entirely sure how much truth there is to this, but I vaguely recall reading an article that swimming elevates your hunger because your body has to try harder to regulate it’s temperature after. I should look into that again!

Hillary May 8, 2010

Love Love Love the new look!!
My best friend introduced me to your website with your Project Glow. I was having a huge problem with acne and it was really starting to get to me. Well it has been just over a month and I have to saw my skin is glowing. I mentioned it to my friend last night and she agreed. We then just said “Angela knows all.” Thank you so much and keep up the great work!

Zainab May 8, 2010

Is there a post describing how you started swimming? There is a pool at my gym and I’m dying to use it but I have no idea how to start!

Hilary (Red Head, Yellow Dog) May 8, 2010

Hey Angela – question: what was the website where you made those awesome photo books of your wedding and of sketchie? I wanted to make one of Toby for James for his birthday :) Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010

blurb.com!

Taylor May 8, 2010

Hey Angela,
Off topic, but me and my husband are going to Europe in September for 2 weeks…We’re still trying to figure out the kinks of where we’re going, etc. etc. Since you went there for your honeymoon, is there one place you recommend that we absolutely can’t miss? I’m trying to get lots of perspectives. Thanks :)

Ivy May 8, 2010

I love the new layout! Much nicer to look at :)

Diana May 8, 2010

I love the new layout Angela! Much simpler and less cluttered! Love it!

ellen eats beets May 8, 2010

swimming makes me soooo hungry. Love canned mushrooms too, its such a great flavor. Just wanted to say i used to read a lot, cut back bc of school, but I’m back and the layout looks great!!

Brittany May 8, 2010

The new layout looks awesome Angela. I love it!

It’s funny because I have been obsessed with canned mushrooms as well. I could eat a whole small can in one setting, but my mom would always try to stop me because she said they were expensive.

Lastly, roasted veggies for dinner is simply the best ever. So easy, yet so so delicious.

Have a great weekend my lady.

Jen May 8, 2010

I love your new web design!

Oh, and I will never look at a date the same way again. You’re right! They do look like roaches! yuck!

Denise May 8, 2010

Awesome New Look!!! And your picture in the blue halter really does GLOW!

Gavi May 8, 2010

Your new website looks amazing, Angela!! I’m so excited for you!! :)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas May 8, 2010

I can’t believe I’ve found another person who loves canned mushrooms! I thought I was the only one with that dirty little secret!

When I was little, my grandmother always kept a few cans in the pantry for me. She’s cook them in a pot on the stove for me. It’s a great memory. Something about that smell…

That, and picking fresh kohlrabi for my afterschool snack. Good stuff.

melanie May 8, 2010

Quick tip…a pan of dog food placed away from the bird feeders will satisfy the raccoon. A pan of chicken scratch and/or sunflower seeds will work for the squirrel. My mom has always fed any wild creature in the backyard (including possums). Now the raccoon taps on the back door when she’s late with the food;). But they mostly leave the bird feeders alone now!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 8, 2010

I love the new look of the blog!

Dinner looks amazing. I love vegetable dishes with all those different colours. :D

Jennifer May 8, 2010

Wow, I LOVE the new look!! Where did you get those glass straws? I know you’ve told us but I can’t find the post. I love dates too, they ARE candy!!!

m May 8, 2010

I LOVE your new header — you look gorgeous!

Katie May 8, 2010

The new layout is gorgeous, it’s so clean looking and fresh.
Love it!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 8, 2010

WOW! I love the new blog layout, it is gorgeous!!!

Those animal pics ARE cute, but I know how much trouble they can be!! Speaking of animals, we just brought Stella home last night, so she is going to have to come meet Sketchie some time :)

And mmmmm…. roasted veg. So comforting!

xo
K

Lynne May 8, 2010

Love the new look blog! You look stunning! :-)

Kamaile May 8, 2010

Eewww to canned mushrooms :-) but the wrap looks good! Love the new layout!

Suzanne May 8, 2010

I love canned mushrooms tooooo!!!! ;-)

Keri May 8, 2010

Love the new look! Beautiful picture!

jassy May 8, 2010

nice layout!

I’m really curious with the taste of quinoa and parsnip…i don’t think it’s available at my side of town=)

Sarah @ cocoanutshakes May 8, 2010

your new header makes me feel like i have some vicarious glowing goin on.

i just started liking dates too!!! especially stuffed with almond butter =) i think i have larabars to thank….my lazy larabar recipe is 1 date + almond butter + salt, on a spoon.

Ester May 8, 2010

I don’t usually comment but I just have to say that I loooove the new design! Elegant, cool & visual.

Little Aspects May 8, 2010

New layout looks great! Very fresh and minimalistic :-)

Wei-Wei May 8, 2010

I need to talk to you about this design.

I am dying on the inside.

I am stunned.

Beyond belief.

This is beautiful. You are beautiful. Your blog is beautiful.

Can I marry this layout?

Megan @ Sweet On May 8, 2010

Holy redesign, Batman! AMAZING! :D

Cristy @ bottegalyla.com May 8, 2010

Can we please talk about the layout?! I LOVE it!!! Well done! And you look gorgeous in the header! (As always!!! :) )

William May 8, 2010

I love canned mushrooms too. Heck, who am I kidding? I love them fresh, canned, dried, etc. Ha ha!

Lindsay May 8, 2010

This is kinda random, but I love the color of your juice! For some reason, brightly colored drinks really intrigue me. I think that’s part of how I was persuaded to try a green monster.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 8, 2010

WOW! Your new layout is GLOWING. I love it. You’re using Thesis now? I wish I had the blogging knowledge to create such an aesthetically pleasing site. Is that you in the header? I don’t think it looks like it, but perhaps it is. Great job to you [and Eric]!

Julie May 8, 2010

Wow, I love the new look! It’s really fresh and minimalistic – in a good way. And love the blue :)

Fifi May 8, 2010

Oh my, that quinoa wrap is calling my name… I’m making it for dinner!

Have you heard of the Total Immersion DVDs? That was how I learnt to swim freestyle and improve on my form (all without a personal coach). It’s basically a set of swim drills that you practice to gradually get to a level where you’re a really efficient swimmer. They lately came out with one for open water swimming too. There are some videos on YouTube or you could get it from Amazon. I hope this was helpful (:

P.S. Love the new layout!

Sara May 8, 2010

We had the exact same dinner tonight: roasted vegetables and quinoa! Weird!

Your new design is great! And your masthead is beautiful. Nice work!