Brick Breaker

Greetings! Want to start your weekend off on the right foot? Take Oprah’s No Phone Zone Pledge and help end texting while driving! I have signed it, have you?

In other news, I am one bike ride closer to being a crazy biker chick!

IMG 0550 thumb   Brick Breaker

Well…not really. Actually not even close, but that is what I pretended in my head today!

Today was my first official BRICK workout for the TRY-A-TRI.

What is a brick workout?

• Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout, one after the other with minimal or no interruption in between, just as you would do in a race. [source]

Because the order of the triathlon will be Swim –> Bike –> Run, I decided to Bike and then Run in today’s Brick.

IMG 0551 thumb   Brick Breaker

[Dwight is a beast!]

This was a lunchtime workout, so I had half of a Raw + GF Glo Bar for fuel and ate lunch when I got home.

IMG 0575 thumb   Brick Breaker

I filled my water container with my caffeinated water- (Chilled Green Tea), and I was on my way…

IMG 0562 thumb   Brick Breaker

Just me and the road.

I have lots of practice with gear shifting in our area!

IMG 0553 thumb   Brick Breaker

75F and sunny. Boom.

IMG 0555 thumb   Brick Breaker IMG 0558 thumb   Brick Breaker IMG 0561 thumb   Brick Breaker

After about 4 miles on the road, I channeled my inner Crazy Bike Chick (CBC)…

IMG 0564 thumb   Brick Breaker

I decided to take a deep breath and tackle the same trail that Eric and I rode last night!

I don’t know about you, but I absolutely thrive on activities that I cannot do well/confidently. The fact that biking on rocky trails scares me, makes me want to do it so badly! It is like some magnetic force that makes me want to prove to myself that I can master it.

I think the key to tackling new things is to turn: anxiety –> motivation –> excitement.

IMG 0566 thumb   Brick Breaker

I told these rocks that I would conquer them.

I think I did do better than last night too! I didn’t go as slow. Eric tells me that I am more likely to fall when I go super-slow. Maybe there is truth to that?

I like this comment from Katie this morning:

“My stepdad is a mountain biking fanatic and when I first started going on trails with him, his best tip was to never look at the rock’s you don’t want to hit. Keep your eyes focused on the path you want the bike to take.”

I must admit, I stare at the rocks…

I have also realized that there is something very peaceful about mountain biking.

IMG 0567 thumb   Brick Breaker

He shall now be called HAROLD, Guardian of the Woods.

I did 10k today- which is the distance of my Try-a-tri bike leg.

I can totally see myself becoming addicted to mountain biking…I had a blast!

IMG 5799 thumb   Brick Breaker

10k bike ride stats:

• 40:02 mins
  • 6.1 miles
  • Avg pace: 9.1 mph
  • Max pace: 17.4 mph

Then I made a quick transition, drank more green tea, and was on my way for a quick run.

IMG 0544 thumb   Brick Breaker

I ran a short and sweet mile (I was thirsty and forgot my Camelbak). My legs didn’t really feel tired, in fact, they felt warmed-up and quite loose.

IMG 5801 thumb   Brick Breaker

Run stats:

• 1 mile
  • 8:23 mins

Total Bike + Run Brick = 48:25 mins. (plus a few minutes for transition)

Lunch was speedy- 1 can of Amy’s Reduced-Sodium Split Pea Soup + a couple handfuls of Mary’s crackers.

IMG 5798 thumb   Brick Breaker

I love split pea soup. I always thought it was gross until I just tried it one day!

IMG 5795 thumb   Brick Breaker

For dessert I had the other half of the GF + Raw Glo Bar.

Eric wants to swim laps with me tonight…I wasn’t planning on it, but I can’t bring myself to say no because I am just happy that he is enjoying it. I’ll probably just take it easy and have a relaxing swim (and lots of sauna time!)

PS- This post was titled to honour my husband’s addiction to Brick Breaker. Eric has beat all the levels once and now he is on round 2, level 16. He just can’t get enough of it!

Meghan@traveleatlove April 30, 2010

I am really excited for you! I am a little embarassed to admit I haven’t biked in sooooo long! Now that my hubby does, I would like to but am a so scared! I also love brick breaker! Perfect for my train commute home!

Lisa April 30, 2010

I didn’t know about the term “brick” but I love it. Turns out I’ve been doing that already. :)

nut April 30, 2010

I have that soup and want to try it very soon. Where do you live , its beautiful beautiful.

You are amazing…I know I say that all the time,,,sorry :)

Jolene April 30, 2010

That is so awesome that Eric is getting involved in the activities that you love!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 30, 2010

I’m definitely going to sign that pledge. It’s sad how many avoidable accidents occur because of texting while driving!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 30, 2010

I love the Oprah pledge–I texted while driving a few times but absolutely see the stupidity of it and NO MORE. No talking either, unless pulled over. Too dangerous.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 30, 2010

I am a HUGE fan of mountain biking :) Yes I even have two bikes – one for the trails and one for the road :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 30, 2010

It inspires me so much that Eric has really gotten into swimming laps. I’m hoping to encourage my dad to do something active this summer.

EaterNotARunner April 30, 2010

Awesome workout! I would think the transition would be hard.

Liz April 30, 2010

With your love of beets and that watch you really are channeling Dwight!!

I admire your work out ethic!!

Angela (ohsheglows) April 30, 2010

bahaha yes I guess I am. Oh God. It all adds up now!

Bridget April 30, 2010

Way to go Ange! You showed those rocks whose boss ;)

Jenny April 30, 2010

That’s so good that he’s getting into swimming! Enjoy:)

Stephanie of Stephanie Inspired April 30, 2010

Speaking of your husbands addictions, how is he doing with kicking the soda habit? I too am working on it… so I was curious how he was doing!

Angela (ohsheglows) April 30, 2010

He’s doing great!!! No soda since the FL trip! Amazing.

Babs April 30, 2010

You’re such an inspiration! I had high ambitions when I started law school–I was going to ride the 3miles each way to school. I decided to bike around town shortly after I moved down here, and I fell on the way out of my development :( I think I caught a bit of curb, and slowly tipped over (I couldn’t get my feet out of the little feet holder things). As I tipped, I saw a guy driving by gawking. Embarassing. Then I got up and was attacked my mozzies! I walked back to the condo bleeding (from the fall) and with huge mozzie bites on my face. And that was the end of my biking to school. I do regret that I gave up so quickly. You’re inspiring me to get back on the bike again :)

Kilee April 30, 2010

I know what you mean about not saying “no” to another workout. I usually workout in the morning, but if my boyfriend asks me to work out in the evening with him I always tag along for fun. That way I get a little extra cardio & stretching in that I have have skimped on in the morning. Can’t wait to try your turnip fries. Just need to get some turnips first!

nichole April 30, 2010

i am eating the amys split pea soup while reading your post, i thought it was a funny coincidence!

Carine April 30, 2010

My friend always texts while he’s driving and I am always scared when I am in his car!! Your area has such lovely scenery! Beautiful!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 30, 2010

Wow great job. Sometimes I do circuit workouts were I run after doing resistance training, sprints, and cycling. You do feel like your legs are warmed up and ready to go. I do worry that I’m going to fatigue and not be able to make it.

Tracey April 30, 2010

Great job!!!

Bike gear shifting is something I’ve never been good at.

Rita April 30, 2010

Gorgeous pictures! What a place for a run. Enjoy your swim ;)

Camille April 30, 2010

It is so awesome that your husband is getting in on the tri-training!

Allison @ Food For Healing April 30, 2010

thats exciting that you are starting to like biking more. Trail riding is so much fun, its way better than staying on any road!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 30, 2010

you are so fit and fabulous! so inspiring :)

Rachael April 30, 2010

Truly a scenic route. I’m working on biking more – I walk pretty much everywhere, run and do Bikram yoga, but I’ve convinced myself that biking requires muscles I just don’t have…
Enjoy the spring!

Amber K April 30, 2010

Apparently all of my workouts are “brick” workouts. I get entirely too bored doing just one thing. I “machine hop” like crazy at the gym.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 30, 2010

OMG, ok I have beat brickbreaker, too (obsessed!) and was so disappointed that it didn’t really do anything at the end after I beat it!

Debbi April 30, 2010

I so had to go play brickbreaker after I read this. Just for a little bit, but it was fun. Awesome workout!

kallie April 30, 2010

i love taking pictures while on runs or bike rides, it makes you look at the scenery in a more active way and appreciate it more

jenn May 1, 2010

Riding on roads scares me much more than trails. I’m so afraid of cars! When I was a little a sideview mirror of a passing car scraped my forearm. I’m been nervous on roads ever since.

Pretty pictures!

BCSM May 1, 2010

Angela, Thank you for putting so much time and effort into your blog, reading it never fails to put a smile on my face! Hope you and all the other readers (who make up one of the web’s least snarky comment environment – thanks guys!) have a wonderful weekend!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 1, 2010

Great workout- you make me want to try mountain biking now!!

xo
K

Julie May 1, 2010

Sounds (and looks) like such a great bike ride! And the split-pea looks so good :)

Jane May 1, 2010

What a great workout…biking, running, and swimming…way to go. I am anxiously waiting for my bike to return from the repair shop….have some great country routes picked out…if the blackflies behave:)

Kelly May 1, 2010

Awesome 1st brick workout. I actually never found my legs being that tired when I would go for a run after a bike, but then again I never went far- so who knows? It’s definitely a good thing to practice though, especially the transition. You are already basically doing a triathlon all in one day!

Dana May 1, 2010

I love reading your posts about Try-a-Try training! Had never heard of Brick workouts before! I feel like this is getting me ready to do one! :)

Jackie May 1, 2010

I wish I had half of your energy for workouts! Seeing your pics and reading your post makes me want to get out on a bike, althought I think I might need training wheels again it’s been so long since I’ve been on one. :o)

jen trinque @ recipes for creativity May 1, 2010

It’s so true that you have to look at where you want to go, not what you are trying to avoid! I learned that the hard way when I learned to snowboard. Look where you want to go. Sort of similar to life!

You seem excited and like one tough cookie, keep up the awesome training!

Jil May 1, 2010

Congrats on a great ride and run!!

Stephanie May 1, 2010

I really loved this post!! You’ll be a CBC in no time!!! lol.

Keep up the great work, I’m looking forward to reading more about your try-a-try training!

kate May 1, 2010

I plan on getting on my bike today! I used to be kind of grossed out by split pea soup becuase of the color & the fact that there are peas in it but now I love it!

Page 1 of 212»