Operation Hydrate

Hello!

After another trip to Swim & Sports, Eric ended up getting the same goggles as me, except in men’s. The TYR Nest Pros are great fitting goggles!

IMG 0465 thumb   Operation Hydrate

I got Finis ear plugs:

IMG 0466 thumb   Operation Hydrate

We also found out that Swim & Sports rents wetsuits so we will probably rent a wetsuit from them for our Try-a-tri. Unfortunately, I think the Costco wetsuits are the kind made for water sports and not triathlons.

IMG 0463 thumb   Operation HydrateIMG 0461 thumb   Operation Hydrate

Sketchie watched the little bunnies outside! They are all around our house and I think they live under our deck! Sketchie talks to them through the window…almost like a gasping meow (his mouth moves but no sound comes out!).

I actually didn’t get my work accomplished today because we ended up doing a bunch of boring errands. Errands are such a weekend time suck! We had to go to Home Depot, Canadian Tire, and Home Hardware (my 3 worst nightmares!) and get groceries too. I am going to have to double up tomorrow and have an extra long day of work.

I was longing to go swimming all day. Luckily the pool had another adult length swim on early this evening! I was looking forward to it all day. Eric decided to sit this one out as he is quite stiff from last night’s swim.

I am loving the TYR suit so far! It doesn’t ride up at all, which is a first for me and swimsuits. It stays put and is very comfortable. Two thumbs up!

IMG 04592 thumb   Operation Hydrate

I decided to play ‘let’s see if I can beat last night’s time’ for a fun game.

Today’s swim:

145 thumb   Operation Hydrate

Last night it took me 40 minutes to do 30 lengths/15 laps/750 m and tonight it took 28 minutes! I still stopped quickly after each length to catch my breath so I wasn’t pushing too hard, but I definitely pushed harder than yesterday! My arms are feeling it tonight…hopefully I can bake tomorrow.

What I learned, Day 2:

• Try not to look at the bottom of the change room floor or the pool floor…ignorance is bliss! I won’t tell you what I saw on the change room floor tonight. ;)
  • After the swim: Shower first and then go in the sauna so you can dry off before getting into clothes
  • Baby powder on the inside of the cap + ear plugs help (no water logging tonight)
  • Create games or challenges in the pool to prevent boredom
  • If you feel a hair on your body, pretend it is a phantom hair
  • Meditate while in the sauna and zone out
  • I need double the amount of shampoo + conditioner after swimming as compared to just washing my hair at home. Must be the chlorine!
  • Make sure you don’t go on a hungry stomach
  • I dearly miss MUSIC while swimming!!! Are there any gadgets to listen to music in the water?

It was a great workout! I came home absolutely famished though. Next time I will make sure I have more fuel in me an hour before leaving.

All I wanted when I got home was FUEL + WATER!

Operation hydrate quickly became the theme of the meal. Eric told me to go on ahead because he was doing work outside.

I had a chilled green tea

IMG 5007 thumb   Operation Hydrate  IMG 5026 thumb   Operation Hydrate

A delicious bowl of Cheesy Savoury Oats (for recipe see here):

IMG 5021 thumb   Operation Hydrate

I just love these savoury oats! The key is to have lots of flavourful toppings. I particularly enjoy tomato sauce.

IMG 5014 thumb   Operation Hydrate

1 English Cuke + salsa + Ground pepper:

IMG 5011 thumb   Operation Hydrate

And half a grapefruit. I bailed on the grapefruit because my tummy was a bit water logged! In all honesty, what I really want is dark chocolate, so I will probably have some while relaxing later tonight. The grapefruit can wait until tomorrow. ;)

IMG 5018 thumb   Operation Hydrate

It was the perfect post-swim meal!

IMG 5008 thumb   Operation Hydrate

Updates:

• New Green Monster recipes are up
  • I now have a category on the left sidebar called ‘Triathlon: Try-a-tri training’. I will be filing all of my triathlon training posts under this category

I’m off to do a bit of work on the website re-design and start laundry (gulp!). Eric and I have a movie planned while snuggling on the couch later. I can’t wait to just relax. :)

Have a wonderful evening!

~~

“If you only do what you know you can do- you never do very much.” as0   Operation Hydrate Tom Krause

Camille April 24, 2010

Ooh, Savory Oats are my favorite!
Yours look especially delicious!

Glad to hear swimming is going well!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 24, 2010

Your meal alone (the food part) will give you lotsa fluid too!! So water-packed!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2010

Yea that was the plan!! 1.25 cups water in the oats alone + the cuke is a loooot of water. :) I feel so much better now.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 24, 2010

UR ROCKING UR SWIMSUIT! and what an amazing color on u too!

mm grapefruit is amazing. so refreshing. all ur eats looks so scrumptious.

xoxo

Bre April 24, 2010

Speedo makes an MP3 player for the water, as do a couple of other larger swim specific companies. They have come down in price since they first appeared on the market. Most of the time they clip onto the strap of your goggles in the back, and the headphones fit in like ear plugs with short wires going from the headphoens to the music base ont he strap.
You can also buy waterproof casing now for your music player that works the same way as the acutal waterproof MP3. :)

Thanks!!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 24, 2010

I haven’t tried the savory oats yet and am a little hesitant, even though yours always look great.

Tonyne @ The Unlikely Success Story April 24, 2010

I love the quote at the end of your blog. Fantastic. Reading your posts recently always makes me want to go swimming!

Kelly April 24, 2010

They absolutely make gadgets for swimming tunes! When I was on the swim team in high school I had a little underwater radio w/headphones :)

You can get a little case for your iPod here:

Bunch of different options here:

Basically just google waterproof mp3, under water mp3, etc. and find what works for you!

Thanks Kelly!

Marla April 24, 2010

The Fat Cyclist uses these for underwater music:

He writes about it here:

I saved the links because someday I want to do triathlons too, and I love running or biking with music so I expect it will be the same for swimming. Thanks for talking about how to get started with triathlons here on your blog! I look forward to reading more about it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

thank you!! I think I found what I need :)

Britt April 24, 2010

My favourite swim times were when the synchronized swimming teams were practicing in the adjoining pool – They’d play music in the water so you can only hear it when your head is under. So much fun! Glad the baby powder helped a bit!

nut April 24, 2010

Hope you rented a good movie!

Veronica April 24, 2010

I am the opposite of you…I love NOT having music while I swim. Swimming is very relaxing and therapeutic for me…even if I’m swimming so hard that my arms want to fall off! ha I love the noise of the water and the silence in my head. When I swim I TRY to not think about anything, instead I count “one, two, three” then breathe and repeat. It is the best natural high.

I hope that swimming becomes more enjoyable for you without music!

I was a swimmer in high school and all through college I swam at least 5 days a week. I’ve competed in a few triathlons and LOVE LOVE LOVE them :) I hope you do too!

Happy training!! :)

Jil April 24, 2010

Those cheezy oats sound amazing and so glad you’re having such a good time in the pool!

Kelly April 24, 2010

I totally hear you on missing music when you are swimming- I think thats one of the reasons I haven’t gone back to swim since my triathlon I just get so bored doing it that I have to stop before my body is necessarily done (though probably not now when I haven’t swam in forever). If I do swim again I DEFINITELY need to get those ear plugs you have- I hate having water in my ears!

Also, how is your hair and skin doing with the chlorine? I always felt like I smelled like it still long after I showered. It made me crazy!

It has been DRY!

*Andrea* April 24, 2010

errands are definitely still an accomplishment ;) i always put them off!! haha

so cool that erik’s into swimming now. you’re an amazing influence on people. also, your arms are so toned – you look great :) i hate looking at myself in swim suits but you are so confident. i love it!

the cukes/salsa combo looks delicioussss

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

Thank you…remember just strut your stuff! ;)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 24, 2010

Those oats look incredible!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 24, 2010

I hate home depot and running errands also. It’s right up there with cleaning house, oh and of course groceries. Have a good relaxing evening.

EaterNotARunner April 24, 2010

Good idea on the water-filled meal!

Michelle April 24, 2010

Congrats on the super time decrease in just one day! :) I hope you DIDN”T rent ‘a serious man’ because me and my hubby tried to cuddle to that last night, and had to turn it off 2/3 of the way through because it was so bad! boring and pointless!
hope you have better luck!

Carla Shorts April 24, 2010

Angela you look precious in your new suit! I like the colors, all bright and cheery! Do you have a road bike? I am wanting to do a tri but I am balking at the prices of the bikes! Eeek!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

We have mountain bikes and are going to use them for our try-a-tri. If we decide that we want to do more we might look at buying some used road bikes :)

Allison @ Food For Healing April 24, 2010

thats awesome that you can just rent the wetsuits, that will save you alot of money!

the swimsuit looks great on you, the colors are amazing

we busted out our bikes today, got some small saddle bags and an odometer, i’m excited to get out on them this summer.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

I want to get both of those gadgets!

Allison @ Food For Healing April 25, 2010

they are great. I posted the odometer that I got on my blog, you can check it out, i recommend it and it was only like $75 at a bike shop!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 24, 2010

Those tips are GREAT! I’ll definitely be looking them up when I get to start swimming again!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 24, 2010

I’m glad the swimming is going better today :)

Mmmmm I love saunas. I’m so jealous you get to be in one after your swims

Lisa April 24, 2010

My cats do the same thing. We have a lot of bunnies, squirrels, etc that torture my cats. They make a weird chirping sound. So bizarre!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

haha glad Sketchie is not the only one!

Sara April 24, 2010

Hi Angela,

I was a competitive swimmer throughout high school and part of college (and still swim on a team for fun), so here are a few tips based on your comments. :)

1) If you’re a bit freaked out by germs in a public pool, don’t worry – as swimmers know well, “chlorine kills everything!”

2) If it hurts taking your swim cap off, try doing it underwater, or at least with your head tilted back and in the water. Also, are you using a silicone or a latex cap? Silicone ones are MUCH easier to get on and off if you’re not used to swim caps, and you’ll probably find them much more comfortable than latex ones.

3) Definitely make sure to shower before hitting the sauna…otherwise the sauna can “bake” the chlorine into your skin (basically it would just lead to drier skin)…you definitely want to get the chlorine off of your as soon as you can.

4) When you get your lesson, make sure to ask them to go over head positioning with you (where your head should be when you’re not breathing). You don’t want to be looking at the bottom of the pool right below you, but you also don’t want to be looking out in front…basically you want to be looking out at the bottom of the pool further out in front of you. Head positioning is important because it will make you faster, and put you in the best body alignment – all good things to have so that you guys can kick butt in the try-a-tri! :) Also, make sure the instructor does go over proper head positioning for breathing as well.

I’m so proud of both of you for tackling your fears! Swimming is a difficult sport considering our bodies weren’t really built for it! In high school, the football used to scoff at us, saying that swimming couldn’t be as difficult as football. Our coach offered for them to join us at practice one day. After struggling immensely, they published an article in our school newspaper the next week, acknowledging their admiration for swimmers!

Don’t hesitate to email me if you have any questions about swimming. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

Thanks for the great tips!

Michelle April 24, 2010

Awe! I can’t believe you have bunnies in your yard! That is so cool! They’re adorable :)

Lin April 24, 2010

Angela, I just have to say that I have so much respect and admiration for your enthusiasm and intiative to always be trying something new. It’s really inspirational! I read your blog every day and my whole style of eating has changed as a result… and that’s not an exaggeration. In fact, I just had my second Green Monster of the day… spinach, soy milk, raspberries, a cucumber, a banana, almond butter, and chia seeds. Along with a huge boost in energy, the big thing I’ve noticed is how much prettier my skin looks!… something that totally surprised me. I didn’t have breakouts, but did have lots of redness and uneven discoloration, fine lines, and sun damage, plus just general dullness. For the first time in many years (I am 54) my skin looks smoother and plumped up, with a healthy glow instead of inflammation. I always exercised a lot and considered myself healthy, but didn’t realize how unhealthy my eating habits were. Evidently, consuming so many fruits and vegetables has MANY benefits! I also started taking a daily multivitamin, 2 extra vitamin C’s, 2000 I.U. of vitamin D, wild salmon fish oil capsules, and 4 mg of a supplement called astaxanthin daily, which I think helped as well. Anyway, so much of this is thanks to you!

I’m going to try the savoury oats recipe next week, it looks fabulous! Keep writing,… you do so much for so many people.

Lin April 24, 2010

p.s. Speaking of trying something new that is also a little fearful, I recently went skydiving for the first time with my daughter who is 30, and my son, 29…. and LOVED IT!!!! I can’t wait to do it again! :oD

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

Wow thank you for such a nice comment! And congrats on all the wonderful changes that you have made! The blog has definitely made me more daring to try new things because I receive such amazing support from everyone. Goodluck with the rest of your journey!

Also, I want to skydive so badly! Eric has and he wants to take me!

Wei-Wei April 24, 2010

WOW! Amazing improvement! By the way, I don’t know if you know this, but you especially have to take big pains to wash the chlorine out of your hair because you have gorgeously golden blonde hair… I’ve heard that chlorine can turn it GREEN! Not to scare you or anything, just an FYI.

Those savory oats look awesome. I love tomato sauce!

Have a great Sunday, and good luck with the rest of your training! :)

Wei-Wei

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

I am a bit scared about my hair turning green…I think it did when I was younger!

Mary April 24, 2010

I have those same ear-plugs! I love them! Your post swim meal looks SO so good! :) I cant wait to go to the farmers market when I get back to NC tomorrow morning and get some delicious veggie nomz! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

yea the ear plugs are great!

Susan April 25, 2010

Ohgod, those three stores are my nightmare too. I get so lost in them. Before I know it I’m fantasizing about what light fixtures I want in my dream house someday and totally forget what I’m there for.

You’ve already got tons of great suggestion for music in the pool! I recommend a cheap little waterproof radio. I’d be way too scared to put my iPod in a case and wreck it. When you listen to music in the pool though, others in the water can often hear it because of the way sound travels through water. At the university they used to play music IN the pool for us!

Angela April 25, 2010

Hey Ange!
Just sent you an email with info on where to buy the waterproof music gear. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 25, 2010

Wow that’s an awesome improvement in your time from yesterday. Congrats! :)

Jessie April 25, 2010

I love swimming for exercise. Make sur to saturate your hair with water before entering the pool. It will lessen the effect of the chlorine on your hair. Also, there are special shampoos to wash out the chlorine.

Good luck with your training.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

Ohh good tips…I was just putting my dry hair in the cap and then showering, then the pool. Next time I will wet my hair, then put on the cap, then pool. Tks!

Maddie April 25, 2010

I actually saw a waterproof mP3 in the December issue of Fitness magazine (I only remember that because I thought it was so cool!) Maybe you should check out their website?

Maria April 25, 2010

This blog is so wonderful and encouraging! Not to mention addictive…

I have been battling anorexia for close to five years, and after 20kg weight gain am now at the stage where I am learning to eat without any lists etc. It is extremely difficult, since after all these years of self-induced starvation, my sense of hunger/fullness is completely screwed up. And I am still so afraid of gaining even more weight. But you give me hope and inspiration. And added conviction to beat this horrible disease once and for all. Thank you so much. And greetings from Finland.

Hi Maria,

Thank you for leaving me such kinds words. I wish you the best with your recovery!

Shawna @ Balancing Me April 25, 2010

Totally rockin’ the new swimsuit!

What are you using to track your swim progress?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

Just my head right now :) lol

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 25, 2010

What cute little bunnies!

The new suit looks great! I love that blue colour :)

Umm, I hate boring errands too! We did the whole roundup on Saturday afternoon (Crappy Tire, Groceries- although I like this one, I was exhausted, Future Shop, and IKEA- byfar the worst!!)

Glad your training is going well!!

xo
K

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

haha Ikea on a Saturday is a nightmare!

rebecca April 25, 2010

I forget to add – before you swim, wet your hair and apply a thick coat of heavy duty conditioner. The conditioner can be cheap just the thicker the better.

Triathlonbabe April 25, 2010

I have a waterproof case with waterproof headphones for my Nano. The apple store has an actual ipod, I believe is waterproof. Sounds like you are coming along in your swimming. Good job!

Triathlonbabe April 25, 2010

BTW, Paul Mitchell makes a shampoo that is really good for swimmer’s hair.

Jin April 25, 2010

The hardest thing about swimming for me was the ‘no music’ sadness! At first when I started out, it was so hard to keep my mind distracted but as time went by, my mind sort of zone out and focused on gliding through the water. I imagined myself swimming in the calm sea!

Swim without music for awhile so you really get deep down into the integrity of swimming before you plug your earphones in!

Page 1 of 212»