What’s Your Sign, Baby?

Greetings!

I hope you had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed some lovely spring-time weather!

IMG_0368

I had to share with you this awesome comment I received about the Nut Butter Parsnip Fries from Jennifer:

“O.M.G. These are seriously SOOOOOOOOOOO good!  Made them last night and my husband still can’t stop talking about them and how they are absolutely restaurant material! They are definitely one of the best things to come out of our kitchen in a LONG time…..my husband just corrected me and said that they are one of the best things to come out of our kitchen EVER!!!! Thanks for sharing! I wish I would have bought more parsnips!!! Oh, and they are awesome with sweet potatoes too, I mixed them for a half and half combo—-DIVINE!!!”

Love the enthusiasm! :)

For about 5 hours this morning I worked on OSG’s website re-design! Hair pulling and headaches ensued, but I actually made a lot of progress (with Eric’s help). I am trying to get it done ASAP because I need to strike while the iron is hot! I am hoping to have it launch really soon…as in maybe tomorrow or Tuesday…!

Lunch today was wonderful and green!

IMG_4591 (2)

You know Operation Spinach Week? Well, I looked in the fridge today and I STILL had two huge bins of spinach to use up! I barely made a dent last week. Luckily, I think these two Costco bins will last at least another week or two, so I should be ok! :)

IMG_4576

I threw into the wok 4-5 cups of organic spinach along with some Crisped Potato, Chickpea, and Carrot leftovers from last week.

IMG_4593 (2)

I also added about 1/3 of a cup of Simply Natural Organic Tomato Sauce.

IMG_4582

I heated it until the spinach wilted. It was lovely and bursting with colour.

IMG_4594 (2)

I also enjoyed this random picture I snapped of our dining light…

IMG_4585

I had my lunch along with a Yellow Pepper and Fontaine Santé Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. I am obsessed with Fontaine Santé hummus! [You can find it at Costco in big tubs and at Loblaws, FYI]. This is by far the best brand I have tried (and I have tried a lot). I need to get back to making my own, but I just can’t stop buying this!

IMG_4612

After lunch I was feeling pretty bummed about not being able to race today (that makes THREE races so far in 2010 that I have not been able to run!) and I was kind of getting down on myself. It is hard when you want to do something so badly, but the body tells you otherwise, isn’t it?

I get a lot of emails from many of you who have sustained injuries and I am always asked how I got through it…

The KEY, my friends…is to stay BUSY!

Whether it is reading, lifting weights, painting, writing, attending a photography workshop, knitting, volunteering at the SPCA, whatever you enjoy…you must fill your time with something you look FORWARD to each and everyday. Schedule something in just like you would schedule in a workout!

So today, I did just that. Since I couldn’t run (safely anyways!), Eric and I decided to fill that time with a rejuvenating hike in the sun! It was just what I needed to perk myself up and remind myself that it is not the end of the world when plans don’t happen as you intend.

Life goes on. We make the best with what we have. Deep breath.

Don’t I look HAPPY?? :mrgreen: We had a ball.

IMG_0361

I was!

Is it funny that Eric and I know who Sony is??? Gotta love small towns…lol.

IMG_0366

So pretty!

IMG_0384

Eric has lived here for most of his life, so every time we go hiking he tells me amusing stories about his childhood. He was quite the hooligan! [He is a LEO, FYI…all the Leos I know are bad a$$, lol!]

IMG_0375 IMG_0378

The hike was awesome today! It cheered me right up. Unfortunately Dwight was DEAD (I must have left it on overnight), so I have no fun stats to report. We hiked for over an hour though. Good times!

IMG_0362

I look calm as a cucumber, but don’t be fooled each stick was hiding a potential snake…

When we got home, I was starving like a mad woman. I had a (trial 14) GF + raw Glo Bar with a tablespoon of chunky peanut butter on top. Awesomeness. It held over my hunger for 3 hours until dinnertime.

IMG_4617

Tonight’s question: What’s your sign, baby? :mrgreen: Do your personality traits line up with how your sign is described?

I’m a Taurus BULL (how endearing isn’t it?):

• Dedicated
  • Stubborn
  • Focused
  • Loving + playful
  • Easy-going (most of the time, but I have many stressed out moments fairly often)
  • Patient (I am not patient, although I try)
  • Loyal partner or friend
  • Good with money (MOST of the time, heh)

~~~~

Coming up tomorrow on OSG: My all-time favourite vegan casserole recipe!

Page 2 of 2«12
Jeniffer April 20, 2010

I’m an Aquarius, and everything I have ever read about them is me!
Once in awhile I’ll check my horoscope, just for fun, and at times it can be pretty accurate for me.
Just found your site the other day, and have (pardon the term when so much of this is cooking!) “devoured” much of it already.
Great site. And hiking, for me before we had kids, was my most challenging and often-repeated workout. I stopped after the kids were born, because there were things that just were not compatable for them. Hills and trees and bugs, oh my! LOL
:-D

alicia April 19, 2010

I’m a Taurus, May 8th, and I’m everything the list says (except the money part). I’m extremely patient, but don’t test me :)

Eunice April 19, 2010

Haha my boyfriend is a Taurus and he is every single thing on that list! Especially the patient (with me) part :)

Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel April 19, 2010

Another Taurus…April 25! I fit the script to a “T” too! I am patient…until I lose patience and then all bets are off so watch out!!

Steam the spinach and freeze in Green Monster portion sizes…that is what I do so I don’t have to steam as often.

Courtney April 19, 2010

I have been reading food/health blogs for about three years now and I have to admit, I’m really tired of hearing people complain about not being able to run because of injuries. This is not meant to be offensive in any way, but I have to share my own thoughts… does it ever occur to any of you that maybe, just maybe, the human body is not meant to run with that amount of intensity and frequency? If you push your body so much that it gets injured, over and over again, then maybe it’s time to stop. That doesn’t mean you can’t run and running can be healthy… but overexerting yourself is NOT.

Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 19, 2010

I am a Gemini, through and through and am married to one. We are absolutely compatible in every way as well. Gemini is an energetic, charismatic, communicative, witty individual with a child-like fascination with the world and with new experiences. I totally refuse to grow up even almost about to be 44 yrs old. I am young at heart and I think even when I’m 75, I will still have that mentality.

Ahhhh running injuries, I have 2 bulging discs and severe sciatica due to running on hard surfaces for so many years, but I just rest up and then get back out there and keep on trucking….until I can’t. I know that’s not good, but it’s so hard to give up something completely that you are so passionate about.

Twisted Chicken April 19, 2010

I am definitely a Taurus and I think that’s a very good thing.

Thanks to your fantastic and enthusiastic influence, I tried a few new foods this weekend. First time buying real maple syrup, almond milk and quinoa. First time making breakfast oatmeal, black bean burgers, hummus and quinoa. All were so delicious and surprisingly satisfying without weighing me down. I felt full but not heavy or lethargic as I normally do. I am testing the waters of going meat-free (at least red meat for sure) and I am thrilled at the dishes I made this weekend.

Thanks for this great website. You are helping me change my attitudes about food and health and fitness which is having a profoundly positive effect on my life.

Keri@unlazykeri April 19, 2010

I’m a Cancer, and while I have the Cancer moodiness, they are also supposed to be emotional and kind. I am actually more of a fire-ish personality. My fiance is a Scorpio but doesn’t act at all like a fire sign, but he would make a good Cancer. We always joke that our birthdays got mixed up!

Shelly April 19, 2010

I’m a Leo too!
I can definitely be warm and generous like my sign says, but I think that I am *really* introverted for a Leo. I get along well with people and can be talkative, but I really don’t like to stand out.

Bronwyn April 19, 2010

Scorpio here, for the most part. My birthday is Oct 23 though, so I have a lot of random Libra traits as well. Sometimes depending on the horoscope I’m reading, I am libra…

Miriam April 19, 2010

I am a leo and my bf is also a leo! Grrrr!!!… We both love to shine, like to have a big social life and network, are generous people… and we are both hard headed, impatient… ! So yes, I must say that our sign, without defining who we are 100%, is giving some clear indications!

Lindsay April 19, 2010

My fiance and I are both Scorpios and both is that a combination!! We both fit the description to a T too :)

I’ve been dealing with some running injuries too… I’m set to run my first half-marathon next weekend and as I’ve been running the longer distances, my right ankle has been giving me trouble. I have this soreness around my heel and can’t seem to make it go away =/

Christina April 19, 2010

I’m a Libra. I just looked up their traits and it’s weird how many of them I have! Diplomatic, flirt, easygoing, peaceable.. the list goes on!

Lauren April 19, 2010

I am a cancer, and some of the traits fit, but some of them don’t. I grew up in a house with my mom and my sister and they are both Libras, so I think a lot of their Libra traits rubbed off on me! Still a cancer at heart though.

I’ve seen that hummus at costco…usually in HUGE tubs haha. Never tried it though. I’m always overwhelmed by food at costco and the big packages. Its a lot of stuff, if you live alone. I’ll try looking for it at the grocery store, its look yummy.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 19, 2010

“If you are injured you must find a way to fill that time with an activity you enjoy.” So true! At first when I injured my two knees I’d sit around and feel sad that I couldn’t do anything I wanted to. Now I go to the movies instead so that the time is filled…and my mind is off my inabilities.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 19, 2010

That lunch looks awesome! I LOVE that hummus… and they had it on sale at Valumart this week! But I JUST made my own hummus, so I resisted…. :(

I am a Leo! I used to be a badass…. Now I’m old and boring, haha. But I still have crazy hair and can be a little vain. ;)

xo
K

Angela (ohsheglows) April 19, 2010

I will have to learn more about your past…hehe

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear April 19, 2010

I’m a true scorpio :D and my dad and my first serious boyfriend are both Leos, they’re troublemakers that’s for sure ;)

Ashley April 19, 2010

I’m a virgo about 90% lol. I’m meticulous and health oriented, but I wouldn’t say I lack passion and I’m an artist so I’m more creative than my sign gives me credit for.

Kris April 19, 2010

Sagitarius here. I’m totally opposite. Def not the life of the party :)

I love your posts! So inspiring and positive! Let your body heal and the races will still be there. Have a great day!

Maura April 19, 2010

Definitely a Gemini :) Curious, easily distracted, loves to talk– yup, that’s me!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind April 19, 2010

Taurus here, too! May 11th. I’d say the description fits me pretty well…minus the impatient and easy-going parts. I’m a pretty high-strung individual. :)

Michelle April 19, 2010

I am also a Taurus, and I am pretty much like my sign. I’m not that stubborn, though. I’m much more passive!

Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 19, 2010

Himself is a Leo too and has a massive lion tattooed on his arm just to prove how BadAss he is!!!!

I am a Gemini and it is sooo true. I’m flighty and indecisive and have weird mood swings and can be very ungrounded. Luckily I have my Leo man to keep my feet on the ground!

Sam April 19, 2010

I’m a taurus too, and those traits describe me perfectly! Dedicated – yep. Focused – yup. Stubbon – oh yes! Hehe. When’s your birthday Ange?

Angela (ohsheglows) April 19, 2010

May 16th :) you?

Carissa @ Fit To Indulge April 19, 2010

Pisces!!! I’m a dreamer, compassionate, and totally spontaneous.. yep that fits the bill. :) And your day looks a lot like mine. Nothing like a nice hike on a spring day. Your spinach eats look nummy too!

One Healthy Apple April 18, 2010

I love hiking with my husband too!

I am a pisces- creative, sensitive, spaced out- all of the above! I am a little bit more panicked than the typical pisces, but I love learning about the traits associated with signs for fun!

kate April 18, 2010

Ahhh! I am so scared of snakes. But I still love to be outdoors & hike. In fact, Ive never seen one in the wild! Thanks god!

Kris | iheartwellness.com April 18, 2010

Beautiful day out!! I love spending Sunny Sunday’s enjoying the outdoors ;)

Aquarius baby!!! I totally believe in what the stars say ;)

Have a great evening!

XXOO
Kris

Jolene April 18, 2010

I am a Libra … Libras are all about balance, and I totally am. Everything in my life is balanced, and I am really good a juggling a lot of things at once.

I love your light fixture – it is beautiful!!!

Mary April 18, 2010

I’m a Gemini. I think that I definitely fit the descriptors. high energy, fast paced. haha!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness April 18, 2010

Oh goodness that salad looks so good! I’m in the same boat, 2 giant containers of spinach that I can’t let go to waist. Oh and I’m a leo and I fit it to a T :)

Paige (RAN) April 18, 2010

Those hiking pictures are so cute! Too funny you know who Sony is LOL

I’m an aries…through and through!

Julie @savvyeats April 18, 2010

Another Taurus right here.

Dedicated – Yep!
Stubborn – Check
Focused – Definitely check
Loving + playful – Yep!
Easy-going – Eh… only a little bit
Patient – Like you, I try but struggle with this one
Loyal partner or friend -Yes!
Good with money – How about “decent” with money? ;)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 18, 2010

I am a Taurus too and I fit everything except for the patient… definitely NOT!
As for the injury thing, staying busy is a must. I get really really down when I’m not busy. And since I’ve been on crutches, I can’t really BE busy so it sucks. I can’t wait to get off of crutches just so that I can DO something.