These Fries Will Change Your Life

IMG 4408 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

Today I put out a plea on Twitter asking for Parsnip fry recipes! Ricki pointed me to her post  and as soon as I saw the pictures, I was salivating. You know when you just look at a picture and you know it will taste amazing? That’s how I felt about these fries. They did not let me down!

IMG 4412 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

Nut Butter Crusted Parsnip Fries

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from Diet, Dessert, & Dogs.

Yield: 1-2 servings.

Ingredients:

• 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into thin fry-like strips
  • 3 tbsp nut butter (I used 2 tbsp chunky peanut butter + 1 tbsp almond butter)*
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up. Peel and cut parsnips into fry-like strips. In a medium size bowl, mix together the nut butters, olive oil, and salt. Take parsnips and toss in bowl with your hands until fully coated. Line up on baking pan and cook at 400F for 30-50 minutes until crisp. I cooked mine for 40 minutes, but probably could have left them in another 5 minutes to crisp up even more. They were wonderful!

Note: You can probably use any kind of nut butter you prefer!

After coating in a bowl:

IMG 4395 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

Line ‘em up!

IMG 4403 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

After cooking:

IMG 4421 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

I honestly never imagined parsnip fries could taste this good.

Never in my LIFE would I have dreamed of using nut butter as a fry coating!

IMG 4422 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

Parsnips resemble carrots, but are paler and have a stronger flavour. Apparently, the core can be quite bitter so sometimes people omit it when cooking, but I used the whole kit and caboodle and didn’t notice any bitter flavour, at least in these fries anyways.

parsnips thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

[Source]

IMG 4411 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

You must run to the grocery store, pick up some parsnips, and make these fries.

IMG 4414 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

What are some life-changing foods you have had?

Some of mine:

~~

Weekends are a bit like rainbows; they look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.  ~John Shirley

Lisa April 16, 2010

Those look AMAZING!!! I’m obsessed with kale chips ala Kath.
Also, hempseeds.

Emily April 16, 2010

This post was fate!! I just started the Paleo diet and it has been smooth sailing except for missing french fries. I’ll sub extra almond butter (or maybe walnut butter… hmmmm….) for the peanut butter and then it’s 100% paleo! Can’t wait to try.

Jenny April 16, 2010

You are a genius! What a great recipe!!!

Paige (RAN) April 16, 2010

Those look gorgeously delicious!

Midgetkeeper April 16, 2010

Oh yum, luckily I have some on hand!

lisa April 16, 2010

I recently discovered your page…and that has been life changing! Love the green monster smoothies.

Life changing #1 –My granola recipe:

3C oats
1/2c slivered almonds
1/4 coconut
1/4 pumpkin seeds
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c chopped pecans
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
3 T butter
1/3 c honey
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 c chopped dates
1/2 dried fruit

Mix together everything from oats to salt. Melt butter with honey…add vanilla. pour over oat mixture and mix together. spread on cookie sheet. bake 325 for 20 min. turning ever 5 minutes.

Great with vanilla soy, vanilla yogurt, pbutter and apples, or by the handful!!

Life changing #2 “Cheesecake”

Use an immersion blender to blend together low fat cottage cheese and low fat yogurt. (this gets rid of the lumps!)

That’s it!!! Use it for parfaits, dips, add fruit….tastes just like cheesecake!

ENJOY!!

Debbi April 16, 2010

Wow! I’m with you about not knowing a thing about parsnips. I so want to try these though! Thanks for sharing what looks to be an awesome recipe!

Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 16, 2010

Yum, I just saw parsnips at Super Target tonight, I always thought they were a turnip of some kind. Learn something new every day.

Hmmmmm….life changing food for me would be:
Menage e’Trois California Red Wine….LOL
Green Monsters of all kinds
Quinoa
Ezekial breads
Amazing Grass

Noelle April 17, 2010

These sounds really deliicous! I do not eat them often but this should be a nice excuse!

RJ April 17, 2010

Well that is part of my dinner solved! I get a veggie box every fortnight and there has been lots of parsnips recently. Usually they end up in soup cos I don’t LOVE them but I think that is about to change! Under 4 weeks until I come to Canada on holiday! Cannot wait to hit Lululemon….

Leah @ Simply Fabulous April 17, 2010

I love parsnips! They are also great roasted with a bit of EVOO and some rosemary and thyme! Or roasted with a bit of honey drizzled on top (that was how I had them the first time… prior to that a few years ago I was a parsnip virgin!).

Shawna @ Balancing Me April 17, 2010

YUM!!! Those look so delicious! I’m going to be picking up some Parsnips this weekend. Maybe I can trick the family into eating them :)

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen April 17, 2010

Must be careful with the parsnips! The almond butter helps in lowering the total GI load but on their own, parsnips rate a 97 on the glycemic index. And you know what high GI foods do to the old metabolism!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 17, 2010

I love parsnips- and if you say these are that good, I HAVE to try them!

Some of my life changing foods?
Oats
Nut butters!
Sweet potatoes
Greek Yogurt
Goat cheese
Flax, hemp, chia
fresh juice
GM’s!

All thanks to the lovely food blogging world :)

xo
K

Sophie @ yumventures April 17, 2010

I’ve never had fries with nut butter…they sounds like they are worth a try! My mom makes parsnip fries but coats them in a little parm cheese…soooo good!

Jil April 17, 2010

oh.my.god. these look and sound absolutely phenomenal!! i might try it with sweet potatoes… hmmm.

Sebrina April 17, 2010

I went out last night and bought parsnips to make these and they are in my oven as I type.. I am impatiently waiting for them.

Green smoothies have changed my life, and my kids lives!!
Artisana Coconut Butter
EV coconut oil
Mysterium Tremendum Cookies http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/mysterium-tremendum-cookies-402715
Chipotle sauce (take one can of chipotles in adobo sauce and puree until smooth. I use this in black bean dip, hummus, vegetarian chilis.. so yum!!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl April 18, 2010

Wow.

Angela, these look fantabulous–I’m sure they were SO delish!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Brittany April 18, 2010

Oh my goodness, I love parsnips and these fries look freakin awesome. I need to make them asap!

Jennifer April 18, 2010

O.M.G. These are seriously SOOOOOOOOOOO good! Made them last night and my husband still can’t stop talking about them and how they are absolutely restaurant material! They are definitely one of the best things to come out of our kitchen in a LONG time…..my husband just corrected me and said that they are one of the best things to come out of our kitchen EVER!!!! Thanks for sharing! I wish I would have bought more parsnips!!! Oh, and they are awesome with sweet potatoes too, I mixed them for a half and half combo—-DIVINE!!!

Laura April 18, 2010

trying them tonight! so excited :) thanks!

Jolene April 18, 2010

I am making them this week!!! I’m sold.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) April 20, 2010

OH MY GAWDDDDD

Sarah April 20, 2010

I tried these tonight and they were good! I think I needed to either cook them longer or maybe not as long. Oh well I will just have to make them again until they are perfect! :) Thanks for the recipe. As far as life changing food, the Green Monster has totally changed my mornings. I am addicted!

Krysta (grains of my life) April 28, 2010

I made these with sweet potato fries and Maranatha Almond Butter. So good! I used Greek Yogurt for dipping and it was a perfect match. :)

kristina May 9, 2010

I love parsnips! Gotta try these!!

Nicole May 17, 2010

Thank you so much for this recipe!! I just gobbled them down and ummmmm ummmmm yum! I love adding new unique recipes to my bag of trick and this one is definitely going in the bag!

Lauren May 18, 2010

Hey Angela,
Love these fries more than life itself! Do you happen to know the nutritional stats on them?

Emily May 21, 2010

Angela – I tried the fries with sweet potatoes the other night, and they got a little burnt…Do you flip yours halfway through cooking?!?!?!

Krystina May 22, 2010

Hi Angela!
I just wanted to let you know that I made these fries tonight and they were AMAZING. Everything I thought they would be and more. Thank you. :)

Nichole @ Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion July 14, 2010

Do you think these would be good if I didn’t peel the parsnips?

Kate @ Ordinary Girl, Extraordinary Journey August 30, 2010

These sound so so good! I’ve not tried parsnips before but this sounds like a good way to try them!!

Lauren @NoFauxFood August 30, 2010

I made these a few months ago, and yes life changing.
try them with carrots, seriously glorious!
We eat them 3-4 times a week now :)

Nichole (Flirting with Food Fitness & Fashion) September 6, 2010

I made the fries and I didn’t peel them and they were so delicious!!!! I could not stop eating them and I made a bunch. I had to share so I didn’t devour the whole pan myself!!

Here is my post:

matt gordon October 28, 2010

good grief i am hungry. this is the 3rd time in a week i have seen parsnip fries. time to try them. i found you on tastespotting, and now you blog will be found in my google reader subscription.

Carolyn Jung October 28, 2010

I totally love parsnips, so I am definitely trying them as fries like this. Nut butter is the secret, huh? Genius idea!

Quay Po Cooks October 28, 2010

I don’t think I can find parsnips here. Can I use turnip instead?

Rose Ragan October 28, 2010

Hi Angela, I love your wonderful picture in your header. How did you get that wonderful background? The parsnips look absolutely wonderful. I have a garden full of turnips I’m going to try this recipe on. Do you think this will be okay for turnips?

My Mom, the Cancer Warrior, planted all the turnips because she’s aways planted turnips but she doesn’t have any good recipes for turnips that my teenagers like. I’ve roasted them with other root vegetables and that is great but I’m always open for more.
Thanks,
Rose

Natalie April 26, 2012

Thank you for this! Will definitely try with my finicky eaters
Love parsnips, I don’t have a big sweet toth and usually replace half of the carrots called for in a recipe with parsnips – taste is so much more complex and better!
Have you tried turnip fries? I made the rosemary-garlic ones and they turned out delicious. The ones leftover got a bit soggy though… Wondering whether next time I should dehydrate them a bit first…
And I don’t really have any life-changing foods.
But I have my absolute favorites:
Beets
Basil (along with balsamic, it was my first “adult taste acquisition” discovery)
Fresh sourdough
quinoa
Buckwheat
Asparagus
Avocado
Chickpeas and tahini-less hummus
Red lentils
And so on – love discovering new foods ;)

Hailey October 22, 2012

Ok, just made these Parsnip Fries and YUMTASTIC!

I used unsweetened roastered almond butter and rock salt, added a dash of sweet paprika.

Page 2 of 3«123»