These Fries Will Change Your Life

IMG 4408 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

Today I put out a plea on Twitter asking for Parsnip fry recipes! Ricki pointed me to her post  and as soon as I saw the pictures, I was salivating. You know when you just look at a picture and you know it will taste amazing? That’s how I felt about these fries. They did not let me down!

IMG 4412 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

Nut Butter Crusted Parsnip Fries

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from Diet, Dessert, & Dogs.

Yield: 1-2 servings.

Ingredients:

• 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into thin fry-like strips
  • 3 tbsp nut butter (I used 2 tbsp chunky peanut butter + 1 tbsp almond butter)*
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up. Peel and cut parsnips into fry-like strips. In a medium size bowl, mix together the nut butters, olive oil, and salt. Take parsnips and toss in bowl with your hands until fully coated. Line up on baking pan and cook at 400F for 30-50 minutes until crisp. I cooked mine for 40 minutes, but probably could have left them in another 5 minutes to crisp up even more. They were wonderful!

Note: You can probably use any kind of nut butter you prefer!

After coating in a bowl:

IMG 4395 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

Line ‘em up!

IMG 4403 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

After cooking:

IMG 4421 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

I honestly never imagined parsnip fries could taste this good.

Never in my LIFE would I have dreamed of using nut butter as a fry coating!

IMG 4422 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

Parsnips resemble carrots, but are paler and have a stronger flavour. Apparently, the core can be quite bitter so sometimes people omit it when cooking, but I used the whole kit and caboodle and didn’t notice any bitter flavour, at least in these fries anyways.

parsnips thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

[Source]

IMG 4411 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

You must run to the grocery store, pick up some parsnips, and make these fries.

IMG 4414 thumb   These Fries Will Change Your Life

What are some life-changing foods you have had?

Some of mine:

~~

Weekends are a bit like rainbows; they look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.  ~John Shirley

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 16, 2010

um, i’m going to whole foods to get parsnips now. are you KIDDING me with those things?! holy heaven!

let’s see, life changing food…it’s all life-changing when you learn to really enjoy it and not be afraid of it, right? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2010

Yes I agree!

u will not believe these fries…..crazy. let me know what u think!

Michael February 9, 2014

I do a similar thing with Brussels when they’re in season. Nut butter, some creole seasoning, fresh garlic, and olive oil to line the pan. Two great minds!

Gena (Choosing Raw) April 16, 2010

I ADORE Ricki and everything she does! I cannot wait to try these!

Ricki April 16, 2010

Heee heeee! I am so glad you liked them! (And aren’t you totally sweet for mentioning the Ellen Show–thanks!!) :D

A life-changing food for me had to be avocado. I remember the first time I ate it, as a teenager–wow, was I impressed! And now I use it in so many things from smoothies to baking. Love it!

krissy April 16, 2010

YEAH! I have a bag of parsips sitting in my fridge and I have been contemplating how to use them up! Now I exactly what to do with them! YOU THE BEST!!! xoxo
love ya sista!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker April 16, 2010

These fries look so yummy, I might just have to run to the store to get parsnips after work!

We grill our own pizza. Learning to grill pizza has been COMPLETELY life-changing. Here’s how, if you’re curious. I’m going to be posting a recipe for a roasted-veggies/vegan version of this pie next week: http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/01/my-favorite-pizza-dough-recipe.html

Mary April 16, 2010

Those look SO delicious!!! I may have to go out and get some and try this out!! :)

Nienke at Revel April 16, 2010

This is perfect! I’m leaving for the weekend and didn’t buy any groceries – all I have left is a big ol’ parsnip! I felt all sad about my dinner prospects until I read your post. Good timing – thanks Angela!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 16, 2010

I got a salad the other day that had pasnips as a topping. They were in little chunks…kinda like home-fry ish. They were so fabby. I love the nut butter addition!

Kelly April 16, 2010

Thanks for the walk-through on the prep of these fries! I am super stoked to try these! As for a life-changing food…I’m with Ricki on that one. Avocados rock! Oh and coconuts! I’m crazy for coconuts!

Diana April 16, 2010

They look amazing! I’ve never tried parsnip but I am very curious!

Sheilah April 16, 2010

Wow! I can’t wait to try this. I have sweet potatoes on hand and sunflower seed butter… maybe we’ll improvise until we can find some parsnips that aren’t $3 a pound!

Life-changing food? Tofu. I love it in all its variations.

Tyrah April 16, 2010

Those sound and look amazing, can’t wait to try them, thanks for sharing! We just tried parsnips for the first time last year.
Just found your blog and really enjoying it =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2010

Thank you! Glad you enjoy it.

Tyrah April 26, 2010

ok, so we made the fries and they are SOOOOOOOOOOO good! Thanks a bunch, here’s my post on them =)

Tamara @ The Stretch Jean Incident. April 16, 2010

SO many life-changing foods, it’s hard to pick just a few!

-Spaghetti Squash
-Asparagus
-Zucchini
-Greek yogurt
-Oats

And, although I rarely buy it because it’s too tempting to eat out of the jar every time I’m in the kitchen, Peanut Butter Co.’s White Chocolate Dream. Never knew peanut butter could taste so orgasmic.

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 16, 2010

These look awesome! I gotta say…I’ve tried parsnips a couple times and I wasn’t a fan. But I’m thinking that anything covered in nut butter and then roasted has GOT to taste decent :D

Krysta April 16, 2010

Oh my… goodness…! It would have never crossed my mind to do that to a parsnip! I am going to try this right away. AH! Even better, I think, will be the sweet potato version. :)

christina cadden April 16, 2010

mmmmm, looks amazing!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 16, 2010

A-MAZ-ING! Like I need another excuse to eat more nut butter :)

Kelsey April 16, 2010

this is earth shattering!! hehe

Diana @ frontyardfoodie April 16, 2010

I have parsnips growing in my garden right now! I’ve actually never eaten one so I thought it might be a good thing to give a whirl. These look so good! How could I resist making this recipe when I harvest!

jessica @ how sweet April 16, 2010

Those sound absolutely amazing!!!

EaterNotARunner April 16, 2010

Those look SO good!!

Kelly April 16, 2010

Wow, I just tried parsnips for the first time recently- I actually had to ask at the grocery store to know what they looked like haha.
This recipe sounds AMAZING!!!!
Life changing foods for me are oatmeal with pumpkin, egg whites and apple, almond butter/peanut butter, and dried mango…right now anyways, I always have knew life changing foods!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2010

YES DRIED MANGO!!! Im obsessed.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 16, 2010
Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 16, 2010

Those parsnips look stellar! When I made parsnip fries I ommitted the core after tasting it raw, but as long as they taste the same when they’re cooked I’m all for using the entire veggie.

My life changing foods are:
ALMOND BUTTER!!!
flax seed
chia seeds
puffed egg whites
greek yogurt
sandwich thins

and finding ways to cook veggies :D

Lauren M. April 17, 2010

puffed egg whites? Please, do tell…

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 17, 2010

It’s from the Fitnessista. Put two eggs worth of egg white in a pam-sprayed bowl and microwave for about 45 minutes or until it stops popping. I add hot sauce to mine and put it on top of a sandwich thin with laughing cow cheese.

Jane April 18, 2010

45 seconds I hope…hehe

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 16, 2010

Oh my gosh, I need this in my life NOW. I love any kind of faux-fry. :D

nut April 16, 2010

I’ve never had parsnips before.
I feel like I need to write out all your recipes. Too much to remember!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2010

They taste a lot like carrots!

Carrie (Love Healthy Living) April 16, 2010

Wow, these really do look life changing. I want to try them SOON!!! Yeah, whoever thought of coating in nut butters? Sounds delicious though.

Erin April 16, 2010

Brussels sprouts, greek yogurt, and spaghetti squash. All things I would have never picked up these items myself in the store, but after some prompting by friends and family I did. My life has been different ever since.

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 16, 2010

I tried parsnips before and didn’t like them. But this sounds yummy and might be a tastier way to try them.

Kaitlin April 16, 2010

And to think I was contemplating throwing away my bag of parsnips!! I tried baking them with olive oil and it just wasn’t doing it for me. Thank you for giving my forlorn bag of parsnips a purpose, I will definitely try this.

Life changing foods:

Definitely chia seeds and amazing grass <–basically food
hummus because I love non-meat proteins
quinoa
dark chocolate

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2010

Glad I saved their lives…hehe

Julie April 16, 2010

I have to say, I’ve always been super jealous of your creativity when it comes to recipes. Those parsnips look delish.
I think my life changing food would be overnight oatmeal. I’ve had it for breakfast everyday (or almost) since I found out about it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2010

All the credit goes to Ricki :) She is a culinary genius!

Oops I forgot about overnight oats!

Ana April 16, 2010

Wow, these look sooooo good, another one here who must buy parsnips and try this recipe!! Do you think it would be ok if I used all almond butter Angela? Could you taste the pb? (like a more pronounced peanut flavor?) I just love almond butter more than ob!! :)
I like parsnips especially roasted, take a look at this recipe I have posted for Honey Roasted Root Vegetables, make it with Maple instead of honey and I am sure you are going to like these veggies!

One thing I discovered recently and can’t imagine not having at my fridge is almond butter, omg I love this stuff, I can eat from the jar, anytime, with anything, love it in my oats and with crackers, amazingly good!
Also I love Flaxseeds, but these I have been eating for years now, since I first tried I never spent a day without my flax (I am known for bringing it with me on trips and all – even when we went to Brazil to visit family – I wasn’t sure I would find it there!)
Oh, and yes, another recent one: chia seeds, I love them!! Amazing in oats and just plain chia pudding is totally delicious!
Ana

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2010

Looks delicious!

Sara April 16, 2010

Parsnips are delicious! In fact, I had them in my roasted vegetable mix tonight, along with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, red peppers, and zucchini. Simple and tasty! The parsnips were my favorite, though; like spicy carrots!

Meghan@traveleatlove April 16, 2010

I love parsnips! You will soon discover all of the amazing things you can do with them, like a velvety, rich carrot and parsnip soup. Mmm love love love that slightly spicy kick they have!

Heather (runningwithsass.com) April 16, 2010

they look yummy, I ahve never had them before!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 16, 2010

Wow those fries sound AMAZING!!!! Of course, what isn’t covered in almond butter?
I recently discovered carrot fries… totally changed my life too. I used to hate carrots!
And sweet potato fries are pretty much one of my most favorite things EVER.

Allison @ Food For Healing April 16, 2010

those do look good! might be something to try, since i’ve never had parsnips before.

My life changing foods have been Chia Seeds definitely. I LURVE them.

livnletlrn April 16, 2010

Ditto what Krissy at 3:58 p.m. said. 3 parsnips and a sweet potato sitting in the kitchen, rainy Friday night after a very difficult week, and you posted this recipe on the perfect day for me to see it. You’re right; they’re fabulous! Thanks!

emily April 16, 2010

My life was changed by that vegan hot coccoa recipe you posted a while back, holy yum!

Gina G April 16, 2010

im sorry im a sporatic commenter, it is sometimes hard to comment because of school work(less then 2 months and i graduate from highschool) but i just had to tonight!
i cannot wait to try these, (i’ve never had parsnips eithr!)
thankyou so much!