What Do You Think About?

Let the weekend begin!

Not going to lie, I started the weekend off by celebrating with some wine. :)

Thank you for your congrats on my Glo Bars hitting Ambrosia! I couldn’t be happier to have your support. :) Also, great discussion going on in My Breakfast Story– it is really inspiring to read about your journey, so thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Fit Sugar had a wonderful post today called ‘What do you think about when you run?. Fit Sugar wrote about a recent opportunity to meet two elite runners Jenny Barringer and Sarah Bowman at the New Balance Women’s Running Summit.

07mini_event02

[Pic source]

When the elite runners were asked what music they listen to when they run they simply chuckled and said they don’t listen to music…ever. When asked what they think about when they run, they simply said, ‘running’.

I thought this was so interesting, although not overly surprising, that elite athletes would have their mind on the training, and not anything else.

Another tidbit that I thought was fascinating was that for every hour they are running, they spend 2 hours on strength training, stretching, and icing their muscles! Reading this makes me want to stick with my strength training, stretching, and icing when sore!!! I think it also speaks to how hard running is on the body and how we need to ensure our muscles are strong so they can support the wear and tear of the sport.

When I used to play competitive fast pitch we had training in sports psychology and we learned about the importance of tuning out all distractions. It is supposed to improve not only your mental game, but your physical performance too!

IMG_0180 (2)

On this particular 12 mile run, I was thinking…

• Damn, it’s hot. It’s getting hotter with every mile too! Oh crap…
  • Thank God I have a Camelbak now!! *takes gulp*
  • I hope I don’t see one of these!
  • How much longer? I sure wish my Polar wasn’t broken!
  • I wish I lived here ;)
  • Oh good song, crank volume and repeat.

I had Eric by my side (on bike) so I talked to him most of the time! Had I been alone I would have been thinking all kinds of things to pass the time.

I had to ask myself the same questions after I read this article:

1) I tend to always listen to fast and upbeat music, and

2) What I think about on runs varies in great part by the type of run that I am doing. For example, when I go on long, slow-paced runs, I let my mind wander and I think about so many things…family, friends, blogging, to-do lists, the bakery, etc. However, when I do speed work, like the 10k mock race on Monday, I typically only think about running, my goal, my pace, my form, and how much longer I have to pant for! There isn’t much energy to think about much else.

One of the things I LOVE about running is that it gives me time to think and be with my thoughts. I have created Glo Bar flavours and dreamed up new dinner recipes on some of my long runs! I consider that a productive run… ;) Other runs, I just soak up the scenery. It really varies!

I like having the freedom to take running seriously on some days and take it very lightly on other days. I think there is a time to train and a time to play and that is how I like it.

What about you- what do you think about when you run (or just exercise in general)? Do you let your mind wander or do you just zone out and not think about anything? What about during a race?

Updates:

• My RAW and gluten-free Glo Bar was a smashing success-finally after SO many trials over the past several months!!! More info to come next week… :)
  • Is anyone else having their comments disappear on them after hitting submit? It has happened to me a couple times and also to another reader. I’m wondering if it is due to this new plug-in I installed…

Enjoy your Friday night :) Coming up tomorrow a VERY delicious dinner recipe you will want to try this weekend!

Page 2 of 2«12
Jen April 11, 2010

I used to always listen to music while, but ever since my iPod broke I have been running sans tunes. My thinking, much like yours, varies. Sometimes I actually get into deep thinking mode and think about goals, family, happiness, writing goals, etc. Other times, especially during speed work or long runs, I concentrate on my breath. It’s almost like a meditation. In through my nose, out through the mouth, in, out, in, out… It really is one of the only times I can calm my mind :) Just writing this makes it so I can’t wait to strap on those shoes and go for a long run!

Grace April 11, 2010

When I run, I always listen to music, it kind of keeps me from paying so much attention to my breathing rhythm and pretty allows me to zone into just the runner’s high. When I swim, I count laps and make sure my form and stroke are proper, bought water proof casing for my Nano and water proof head phones, haven’t tried this just yet. When I cycle, no music, just nature and the sound of my surroundings. During Jazzercise, I pay attention to my form in the mirror most of the time…totally not shy to see myself in the mirror especially during lifting as well for my form.

I haven’t noticed anything about the dissappearance of my posts but not sure what that would be.

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble April 10, 2010

I started my weekend off with wine too!

Nicole April 10, 2010

Sports psychology sounds so interesting! Back when I was a cheerleader, I was under intense pressure from my coaches and teammates to be able to throw a back handspring… something which absolutely terrified me. I am not a fan of being head-over-heels. I spent so much time and energy trying to learn how, but my fear was crippling. I remember someone telling me that I should think how many athletes do– that is, to envision my success. I thought that was such an interesting concept, but I had such a hard time grasping it! The few times I blocked out the fear and actually got in the zone, I could throw a beautiful (if not very imperfect) back handspring, time and time again. It wasn’t a matter of me not physically being able to throw one, not knowing how, it was just a mental thing! (In the end, I decided that back handsprings just aren’t for me haha!)

Long story short… it’s really fascinating to think about how much thought processes can affect physical performance! How cool that some people are able to focus like that.

Lauren April 10, 2010

YAY about the glo bars!!!! Can’t wait to order some!!!

Miranda @www.mirandasjeans.blogspot.com April 10, 2010

This morning I thought of this entry when I went running, to see what I thought about while I ran.
I thought about:
– This entry
– The Edward Sissor Hands turtle
– Wishing I could hear birds chipring over my up beat music playing on my Ipod
– Looking into the windows of my parents house to see if anyone was awake (630am – they were not).
– Wondering what is better when running, landing on your heals and pushing off with the toes or landing flatter, toes first and pushing up with the foot. Heal toe felt better.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 10, 2010

I write blog posts in my head too!! My comments are showing up here, but my reply comments on my own blog aren’t showing up…

Lizzie April 10, 2010

My mum convinced me to chuck the ipod and run sans music – what motivated me to do it was a 10K race where under USTAF rules, music devices were not allowed on the course (obviously no one pays attention to that!), but it made me decide to not bring it with me, just in case. I haven’t run with music and that was 3 years ago. I hear and see so much more when I run outside. There have been times when people have been looking for directions and been able to ask b/c I’m not wearing headphones. I do use my iPhone when I am l am on the treadmill though – 8 miles of t-mill running can be tough with no distractions! :) I think about a gazillon different things when I’m running and even if I haven’t solved a single problem by the time I’m finished, it’s still helpful :)

Susan April 10, 2010

FOOD! I always think about what I’m going to eat when I get home ;) I need to listen to fast, upbeat music too. Lately I’ve been into punk-rock while running, the pounding music makes me pound the ground better ;)

Mariepouliche April 10, 2010

I always listen to music. It gets me in the mood :)
I’m a very anxious person and exercising is the best way to help me to calm down. Everything seems easy after my workouts.
Also, when I’m getting tired and feel like giving up, I visualize myself. I see me being strong and I push harder… I’m hard to myself: I like having a good sweat!

jassy April 10, 2010

i think about the fats being converted to energy–beta oxidation and electron transport chain…haha=)

i am usually thinking how fun running can be if my left foot and right pelvic joint were not sore=)

Kelly April 10, 2010

I’m impressed that they can think of nothing but running- I can’t even focus on the task at hand during yoga and that’s when you are really supposed to think about nothing haha. That’s okay though- I enjoy listening to music and letting my mind wander :)

Anne P April 10, 2010

I stopped listening to music when I run – I like just listening to nature and not being distracted. You’re right, though – unless I’m going balls to the wall fast and sprinting/doing hills, my mind is wandering. But I like that – it’s my time to think :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 10, 2010

When I run I listen to loud, upbeat music as well. It also depends on the type of run I am going on! I invent recipes at times as well, go over my to-do list… sometimes I just plain daydream!!

xo
K

Judy (Cookbook maven) April 10, 2010

I am fairly new to running. While I enjoy listening to music, I don’t. I know it’s safer that way. Plus my mp3 player is on my phone & constantly reboots itself . . . it’s a pain.

And I find I really don’t think about much at all while running!

Sarah April 10, 2010

I usually work out to a dvd and if I know the routine I like to let my mind wander – I write so many blog posts in my head when I do that! lol. I find that when I concentrate I often don’t enjoy the routine as much. It’s as though I feel every minute of pain, strain and puffing and I just don’t like it. When I tune out, I’m often surprised when I finish that it was so easy!

If I’m out walking I usually don’t listen to anything, I like to hear the birds and think about … everything and anything!

Jenn April 10, 2010

I always listen to music when I do cardio. It’s not always upbeat sometimes it’s just dramatic ;-) I find working out often gets my creative juices flowing in other areas of my life.

Natalie April 10, 2010

I must have music while I run, or do any type of training. I just ordered a waterproof mp3 for swimming laps this summer. When I run I listen to the music and enjoy the feeling of movement and being outdoors. I usually have my dogs so I keep an eye on them and make sure they aren’t too far ahead or behind me.

I’m one of the new orders you returned to after your vacation, and both my husband and I love your bars! Good work and congrats on getting on the store shelves.

Sam April 9, 2010

I bought a refurbed iPod a couple of years ago to use during exercise but found that I actually preferred not having music. I like to hear my breaths, feet turning over, small animals rustling in the bushes, things going on around me. It feels pure.

When I run, I mostly think about the run. How it feels good, how even my gait is, how quietly my feet hit the ground, staying loose, how my legs feel, how the breathing feels and sounds, how it feels to go a certain pace, reminding myself that if I keep my head down I’ll be at the top of the hill in no time, etc. Or sometimes my mind clears and I just focus on the doing aspect of it.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 9, 2010

yay I totally need a new dinner recipe – I’ll be reading tomorrow!

Jenn April 9, 2010