Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Greetings! Might I ask how is it Thursday already!?

Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Adapted from Ohh May’s Vegan Overnight Oats.

PM Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 1 cup almond milk, and more if needed
  • 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled and smashed
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions: Mix together the above ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge overnight.

This picture was actually taken after 1 hour in the fridge…I was like a kid on X-mas Eve and just had to peek at the presents before bed!

IMG 3907 thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Mental rotation…

IMG 3904 thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Little known fact about me- I am HORRIBLE at mental rotation- especially 3-D!

mentalrotationtest thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

I am the type of person who turns a map… It is probably one of the things I do that irritates (and amuses) Eric the most. It is also probably the reason he bought me a GPS for my car… :mrgreen:

In the morning, remove bowl from fridge and add your magical toppings

AM Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon nut butter
  • Pure Maple Syrup

Directions: Serve nut butter in a spoon and drizzle Maple syrup over top. Serve overnight oats cold.

IMG 3924 thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

WOW, these were magical!

IMG 3922 thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

All mixed up!

IMG 3925 thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

I admit, the whole thought of eating oats COLD without cooking them totally turned me off…it just sounded GROSS…and wrong…but ohhh was this so RIGHT!

I think the banana is key in the oat mixture to add sweetness and the toppings really make it come alive into something exciting to eat!

I thought because I didn’t have any yogurt it would be a huge fail, but by increasing the chia seeds and almond milk, I was able to mimic the yogurt consistency.

The best part of it is that it took literally 2 minutes to whip together and throw in the fridge the night before. These would be a great option for summer when you don’t feel like a hot bowl of oats.

I did up the nutritional information because I know how much you guys love it!

This nutritional information includes: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 2 tablespoons chia seeds, and 1 small banana.

Untitled thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

9 grams of protein and 11 grams of fibre before you even add any toppings- nice! :)

Updates:

Today’s question- Have you ever tried overnight oats? How do you make them? If you haven’t tried them, would you?

I was scared, but I took one for the team and gave it a whirl…and I am so glad I did. I can see myself experimenting with all different kinds of concoctions! :)

I’m off to get my Glo Bar delivery ready for the STORE!!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 8, 2010

I just got on the overnight oats wagon and now I am obsessed. I’ve had them every day for a week! I agree that banana is key – it gives it such a good texture and sweetness throughout. I also like to add canned organic pumpkin to the mix to give it a fiber boost. Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2010

such a great idea about the pumpkin!

Linda May 23, 2013

Hi, I have made a similar recipe. I used steel cut oats and oat groats. Wonderful! I added a banana, vanilla flavoring, I think I used chia seeds.

Kristen April 8, 2010

If you like pumpkin, take out the banana and put some pumpkin in…if you add the “typical” pumpkin pie spices, it tastes a lot like pumpkin pie for breakfast!

I wasn’t sure about cold oats either until I tried them in the fall. I’m definitely a convert. I love them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2010

pumpkin pie sounds right up my alley!

Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 8, 2010

No I’ve never tried them because I’ve been a bit scared of them, and also wondered if they would work without full dairy yoghurt etc.

But I am so going to do this now. I think I will add some fruit too. Thank you for veganising :)

Emmanuelle April 8, 2010

I love overnight oats, I don’t have them very often but when I do it’s yummy! Great timing for this recipe as I want to cut down a bit on dairy for a while, so vegan overnight oats all the way! The only thing is, I can’t find chia seeds in my local health stores here in Brussels, I’ll have to find a way around it or order them somewhere as I’ve been wanting to try them anyway!
Thanks for sharing!

Nicole April 8, 2010

I tried to find chia seeds in Switzerland and went to about six different health food stores. They didn’t even know what chia seeds are! After some searching in the internet, I found out that the laws of the European Union don’t allow the import of chia seeds. Though I found a company in Germany, but with all the customs duties it was way too expensive. One pound of chia seeds would have cost me about 50 dollars!

Emmanuelle April 8, 2010

Thanks Nicole, I understand now why I couldn’t find them… Wow so the EU allows for GMO in potatoes but won’t allow the import of chia seeds or stevia, go figure!

Nicole April 8, 2010

Hey Emmanuellee. We do get stevia in Switzerland. But it wasn’t allowed for some time. But now you even get stevia in supermarkets! Hope that this will happen to chia seeds as well…

mandy April 12, 2010

I live in Germany and was looking for them too. I actually have found them through an online store called Gojiking.co.uk It has a fantastic range of things and I had no problem getting them here to Germany from the UK. They stock all sorts of super foods that you can’t find here. Hope this helps.

Emmanuelle April 12, 2010

Thanks Mandy, I will check it out!

veganlisa April 8, 2010

I first tried overnight oats a few years ago. It is the perfect breakfast when you’re short on time but you need some sustained energy. Oats are so good at filling me up and keeping me full for hours. I love your addition of chia. I like my oats with cinnamon and raisins.

kaila April 8, 2010

I always make mine with greek yogurt pumpkin lots of cinnamon and oats ( since your vegan maybe soy yogurt would work :)), they come out so creamy and delish! topped with sliced banana and walnuts !

Jenny April 8, 2010

Usually I make them with banana and yogurt and they are awesome!

Jessica @ How Sweet April 8, 2010

I jsut can’t get into overnight oats! They taste like plain dough to me, no matter how much I season them!

La April 8, 2010

add cocoa powderrrrr

Estela @ Weekly Bite April 8, 2010

I love overnight oats! I can’t wait to try your version :)

Leah @ L4L April 8, 2010

I’m not a huge fan of overnight oats. I’ve tried them a few times. I think I just prefer a hot meal in the morning. Unless it’s a GM of course. ;) I think I actually had texture issues with my overnight oats. Maybe my milk/oats ratio was off.

Danielle April 8, 2010

My jury is still out on overnight oats. The consistency just isn’t right for me when using yogurt + oats…too thick for oats maybe? Maybe thinning it with some milk would help…and I really like the chia seed idea!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 8, 2010

Overnight oats are muesli that actually originated in Switzerland at the turn of the 20th century by a physician by the name of Bircher-Benner for his patients. They are sometimes called Bircher-Benner oats or Birchermuesli.

You can google it for the original recipe but I believe it includes some proportion of oats, apples, cream, lemon juice, nuts, and raisins.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 8, 2010

Definitely not Alton Brown.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2010

thanks will look him up!

Jess April 8, 2010

I echo the definitely not Alton Brown. I’ve been eating overnight oats since I was a small child. I think my Dad replicated the muesli noted above. I also eat them hot – I find that soaking them overnight and then microwaving them gets similar results to cooking on a stove top. This also works great if you are going to add dried fruit to the oatmeal that you want to get a bit plumper.

Ashley April 12, 2010

Oh right…I saw this on the side of the Bob’s Red Mill Muesli bag about the Swiss soaking their oats overnight. Genius, whoever it was!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 8, 2010

Overnight oats are delicious!! I let them soak in a mix of yogurt and almond milk…mmmmmm, mmmmm.

I saw them on a menu once as Swiss oats– I wonder if that’s where the idea originated? Not sure…

Janna April 8, 2010

I have never tried overnight oats …but now I think I will :)

Majl April 8, 2010

Thanks for posting! I will try to do this next time I am on the road and don’t have a kettle in my room.

Ali April 8, 2010

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it!

Sarah April 8, 2010

Thanks for sharing this post! I have yet to try overnight oats, due to that same fear of grossness. But this has helped convince me and I’m glad I’ll be able to enjoy my oats for breakfast even though the weather has gotten warmer. Thanks :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 8, 2010

whoa I never knew that overnight oats were COLD . .. okay I’m going to have to muster up some courage for these some times

Nicole, RD April 8, 2010

I don’t do “overnight” oats, but I do throw milk on some oats on my way out the door in a Tupperware and eat when I get to work (less than 1 minute needed). I toss in a baggie I prepare ahead of time which has pepitas, brown sugar, almonds/pecans, and cranberries. Easy and delicious!

Jil April 8, 2010

LOVE Alton Brown for so many reasons. I have never made overnight oats myself buuut yeah, I have always admired them from afar in the blogosphere. They look absolutely amazing!

Jes (Self Motivation) April 8, 2010

I have never tried overnight oats, but they definitely look good! I will have to give them a shot. Where do you purchase chia seeds?

Also, I LOVE Alton Brown! He combines two of my favorite things… food and chemistry!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 8, 2010

I love overnight oats! I usually make them with yogurt and chia….yum :-)

Mae April 8, 2010

Wow yours looks 100% better than mine!! :-) Hahaha I’m horrible at those mental rotation tests too…
The banana totally makes the oats, so true!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 8, 2010

Well, I feel dumb. I’ve always heated mine after. Who knew you were supposed to eat them cold? They look good, but like you I’m a little skeptical about the temperature. I might cheat and microwave them still.

Danielle_veg April 8, 2010

My version of overnight oats involves soaking my steel-cut oats before cooking them in the morning. Alton Brown (AB to his fans!) uses a slow cooker to prepare his oats overnight, so a hot breakfast is ready in the morning. I agree with Samantha Angela: this delicious recipe sounds like Bircher muesli. YUM.

Danielle_veg April 8, 2010

By the way, one of my friends frequently adds soaked, rolled oats to his protein shakes! You might like to try it. Simply soak a half-cup of rolled oats in water or juice for at least 20 minutes, then blend with protein powder and fruit or whatever you like in your smoothies!

Jen April 8, 2010

I love overnight oats! I usually mix 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, a LOT of cinnamon, 1 smushed banana, 2 tablespoons flax seed oil, and a handful of goji berries to an almost empty nut butter jar. It’s a great way to get the extra nut butter out that is stuck to the sides and rim :) I’ve finally found chia seeds at a local market, so next time I will definitely add some.

Katie T April 8, 2010

One of my biggest worries when I went vegan almost a year ago was how to replace my beloved Greek yogurt in my overnight oats – but you’re right, I’ve found that the combo of mashed banana + chia seeds + almond milk does the trick! I usually throw in half a scoop of brown rice protein powder too for a little extra boost and the stevia sweetness!
Now I play around with all kind of variations – cocoa powder and PB for Reese’s oats, canned pumpkin, walnuts, and raisins for pumpkin-pie oats…the possibilities are endless! The other day I did lemon-zucchini-poppyseed overnight oats (inspired by the muffins I was making) by adding some shredded zucchini, crushed pineapple, poppyseeds, and lemon zest to the usual mix. It was DIVINE – highly recommended!
Thanks for the amazing blog Angela! Blogs like yours have been SO important for me as I’ve overcome by disordered eating tendencies (and transitioned to veganism!). You are a fantastic healthy role model and a source of constant inspiration!!

Shelly April 8, 2010

I make mine the exact same way- with almond milk and chia seeds! I like to add frozen cherries and vanilla to mine the night before and top it off with almond butter in the morning. So good!

Jessica P April 8, 2010

I totally turn maps according to where we’re going!! I just can’t get it if I don’t! I’ve tried Alton Brown’s oats in the crockpot before, and I did not like them at all! I thought they were very bland, and if I recall correctly very watery-not how I like my oats! I might have to try the overnight oats though, and have them cold, now that the weather is getting warmer here in NC.

krystina April 8, 2010

I really want to try overnight oats but I used my last banana today.:( I wonder if a thawed frozen banana or pumpkin puree would work instead?

Gina April 8, 2010

I had overnight oats this morning for my first time too!! Mine were made with greek yogurt and almond milk. I added mixed berries and a banana and some stevia for some sweet. They were just so so but yours look amazing. I think I shall try your version soon!

Laura April 8, 2010

I have tried overnight steel cut oats and didn’t like the texture… but I will try your recipe, sounds yummy!
I have a healthy living question for you… what do you use to clean your house? I have made some big changes to my eating, stopped the fake sugars, been exercising regularly, etc. I feel great and want to continue this healthy lifestyle. I have been wondering about healthy cleaning products. I’d love to hear your thoughts and wonder what your readers use, too. Love your blog!

Madeleine @ Notes On A Page April 8, 2010

It’s not vegan-friendly, but I love overnight oats with cottage cheese instead of yogurt. Any way you make ‘em, they’re a great quickie breakfast!

Therese April 8, 2010

THANK YOU for posting about overnight oats without yogurt! I LOVE yogurt and I LOVE oatmeal but I seem to NOT love the two together! I’ve tried overnight oats and didn’t like it because of the yogurt. I’ll definitely give it a shot without the yogurt though as I love the idea of overnight oats, gives me more time in the mornings for other things!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 8, 2010

YUM I love overnight oats!!! They are the best! I liked to have them ready for breakfast last summer after coming in from a morning run. So good!! I didn’t know they were from Alton Brown though, the first person that I learned about them from was Kath.

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 8, 2010

i have tried them and was NOT a fan…i didn’t love the cold oats and the texture was just off. i think i’d rather have cold yogurt with homemade toasted oats on top or something like that where the texture matches my expectation in taste (does that make sense?)

Jess @ MTL Veggie April 8, 2010

Mmm Overnight Oats are great for my mornings on the run! I like to use vanilla soymilk, almond butter, banana, some walnuts, if I’m in the mood for added creaminess I’ll add some yogurt to the mix, and top it off with a sprinkling of cinnamon. So good!!

Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES April 8, 2010

Favorite method of overnight oats is equal parts almond milk, greek yogurt and oats. Obviously not vegan, but delicioso :)

Amy April 8, 2010

I just started making overnight oats to save time in the morning. I use steel cut oats because I like the crunchy texture. I add Hemp milk, flax, and the oats for overnight, then in the morning, I mix in some cinnamon, a small banana, a bit of yoghurt, and a spoonful of crunchy almond butter. Yummy!

Page 1 of 41234»