Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 8, 2010

Greetings! Might I ask how is it Thursday already!?

Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Adapted from Ohh May’s Vegan Overnight Oats.

PM Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 1 cup almond milk, and more if needed
  • 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled and smashed
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions: Mix together the above ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge overnight.

This picture was actually taken after 1 hour in the fridge…I was like a kid on X-mas Eve and just had to peek at the presents before bed!

EDIT: Here is an updated recipe that you can print!

IMG_3907

Mental rotation…

IMG_3904

Little known fact about me- I am HORRIBLE at mental rotation- especially 3-D!

mental-rotation-test

I am the type of person who turns a map… It is probably one of the things I do that irritates (and amuses) Eric the most. It is also probably the reason he bought me a GPS for my car… :mrgreen:

In the morning, remove bowl from fridge and add your magical toppings

AM Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon nut butter
  • Pure Maple Syrup

Directions: Serve nut butter in a spoon and drizzle Maple syrup over top. Serve overnight oats cold.

IMG_3924

WOW, these were magical!

IMG_3922

All mixed up!

IMG_3925

I admit, the whole thought of eating oats COLD without cooking them totally turned me off…it just sounded GROSS…and wrong…but ohhh was this so RIGHT!

I think the banana is key in the oat mixture to add sweetness and the toppings really make it come alive into something exciting to eat!

I thought because I didn’t have any yogurt it would be a huge fail, but by increasing the chia seeds and almond milk, I was able to mimic the yogurt consistency.

The best part of it is that it took literally 2 minutes to whip together and throw in the fridge the night before. These would be a great option for summer when you don’t feel like a hot bowl of oats.

I did up the nutritional information because I know how much you guys love it!

This nutritional information includes: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 2 tablespoons chia seeds, and 1 small banana.

Untitled

9 grams of protein and 11 grams of fibre before you even add any toppings- nice! :)

Updates:

Today’s question- Have you ever tried overnight oats? How do you make them? If you haven’t tried them, would you?

I was scared, but I took one for the team and gave it a whirl…and I am so glad I did. I can see myself experimenting with all different kinds of concoctions! :)

I’m off to get my Glo Bar delivery ready for the STORE!!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 8, 2010 at 7:20 am

I just got on the overnight oats wagon and now I am obsessed. I’ve had them every day for a week! I agree that banana is key – it gives it such a good texture and sweetness throughout. I also like to add canned organic pumpkin to the mix to give it a fiber boost. Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2010 at 7:23 am

such a great idea about the pumpkin!

Linda May 23, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Hi, I have made a similar recipe. I used steel cut oats and oat groats. Wonderful! I added a banana, vanilla flavoring, I think I used chia seeds.

Sarah August 20, 2014 at 10:34 pm

I always freeze my banana when they are too ripe and I don’t have an immediate plan to use them. Upon making my overnight oats, I decided to sauté my frozen bananas and found they added the most wonderful caramelization to the recipe.

Krista April 27, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Sauteeing frozen bananas??! This sounds amazing! What oil do you use in the pan??

Kristen April 8, 2010 at 7:20 am

If you like pumpkin, take out the banana and put some pumpkin in…if you add the “typical” pumpkin pie spices, it tastes a lot like pumpkin pie for breakfast!

I wasn’t sure about cold oats either until I tried them in the fall. I’m definitely a convert. I love them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2010 at 7:23 am

pumpkin pie sounds right up my alley!

Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 8, 2010 at 7:24 am

No I’ve never tried them because I’ve been a bit scared of them, and also wondered if they would work without full dairy yoghurt etc.

But I am so going to do this now. I think I will add some fruit too. Thank you for veganising :)

Emmanuelle April 8, 2010 at 7:30 am

I love overnight oats, I don’t have them very often but when I do it’s yummy! Great timing for this recipe as I want to cut down a bit on dairy for a while, so vegan overnight oats all the way! The only thing is, I can’t find chia seeds in my local health stores here in Brussels, I’ll have to find a way around it or order them somewhere as I’ve been wanting to try them anyway!
Thanks for sharing!

Nicole April 8, 2010 at 9:53 am

I tried to find chia seeds in Switzerland and went to about six different health food stores. They didn’t even know what chia seeds are! After some searching in the internet, I found out that the laws of the European Union don’t allow the import of chia seeds. Though I found a company in Germany, but with all the customs duties it was way too expensive. One pound of chia seeds would have cost me about 50 dollars!

Emmanuelle April 8, 2010 at 10:24 am

Thanks Nicole, I understand now why I couldn’t find them… Wow so the EU allows for GMO in potatoes but won’t allow the import of chia seeds or stevia, go figure!

Nicole April 8, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Hey Emmanuellee. We do get stevia in Switzerland. But it wasn’t allowed for some time. But now you even get stevia in supermarkets! Hope that this will happen to chia seeds as well…

mandy April 12, 2010 at 7:00 am

I live in Germany and was looking for them too. I actually have found them through an online store called Gojiking.co.uk It has a fantastic range of things and I had no problem getting them here to Germany from the UK. They stock all sorts of super foods that you can’t find here. Hope this helps.

Emmanuelle April 12, 2010 at 9:45 am

Thanks Mandy, I will check it out!

Gia February 28, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Whoa, really? I live in Portugal and I just bought chia seeds at health store today for the first time. Are you sure that law isn’t just for Switzerland?

veganlisa April 8, 2010 at 7:34 am

I first tried overnight oats a few years ago. It is the perfect breakfast when you’re short on time but you need some sustained energy. Oats are so good at filling me up and keeping me full for hours. I love your addition of chia. I like my oats with cinnamon and raisins.

kaila April 8, 2010 at 7:43 am

I always make mine with greek yogurt pumpkin lots of cinnamon and oats ( since your vegan maybe soy yogurt would work :)), they come out so creamy and delish! topped with sliced banana and walnuts !

Jenny April 8, 2010 at 7:52 am

Usually I make them with banana and yogurt and they are awesome!

Jessica @ How Sweet April 8, 2010 at 8:12 am

I jsut can’t get into overnight oats! They taste like plain dough to me, no matter how much I season them!

La April 8, 2010 at 3:11 pm

add cocoa powderrrrr

Estela @ Weekly Bite April 8, 2010 at 8:13 am

I love overnight oats! I can’t wait to try your version :)

Leah @ L4L April 8, 2010 at 8:14 am

I’m not a huge fan of overnight oats. I’ve tried them a few times. I think I just prefer a hot meal in the morning. Unless it’s a GM of course. ;) I think I actually had texture issues with my overnight oats. Maybe my milk/oats ratio was off.

Danielle April 8, 2010 at 8:16 am

My jury is still out on overnight oats. The consistency just isn’t right for me when using yogurt + oats…too thick for oats maybe? Maybe thinning it with some milk would help…and I really like the chia seed idea!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 8, 2010 at 8:17 am

Overnight oats are muesli that actually originated in Switzerland at the turn of the 20th century by a physician by the name of Bircher-Benner for his patients. They are sometimes called Bircher-Benner oats or Birchermuesli.

You can google it for the original recipe but I believe it includes some proportion of oats, apples, cream, lemon juice, nuts, and raisins.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 8, 2010 at 8:18 am

Definitely not Alton Brown.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2010 at 8:33 am

thanks will look him up!

Jess April 8, 2010 at 10:50 am

I echo the definitely not Alton Brown. I’ve been eating overnight oats since I was a small child. I think my Dad replicated the muesli noted above. I also eat them hot – I find that soaking them overnight and then microwaving them gets similar results to cooking on a stove top. This also works great if you are going to add dried fruit to the oatmeal that you want to get a bit plumper.

Ashley April 12, 2010 at 12:51 am

Oh right…I saw this on the side of the Bob’s Red Mill Muesli bag about the Swiss soaking their oats overnight. Genius, whoever it was!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 8, 2010 at 8:17 am

Overnight oats are delicious!! I let them soak in a mix of yogurt and almond milk…mmmmmm, mmmmm.

I saw them on a menu once as Swiss oats– I wonder if that’s where the idea originated? Not sure…

Janna April 8, 2010 at 8:21 am

I have never tried overnight oats …but now I think I will :)

Majl April 8, 2010 at 8:26 am

Thanks for posting! I will try to do this next time I am on the road and don’t have a kettle in my room.

Ali April 8, 2010 at 8:26 am

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it!

Sarah April 8, 2010 at 8:28 am

Thanks for sharing this post! I have yet to try overnight oats, due to that same fear of grossness. But this has helped convince me and I’m glad I’ll be able to enjoy my oats for breakfast even though the weather has gotten warmer. Thanks :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 8, 2010 at 8:32 am

whoa I never knew that overnight oats were COLD . .. okay I’m going to have to muster up some courage for these some times

Nicole, RD April 8, 2010 at 8:37 am

I don’t do “overnight” oats, but I do throw milk on some oats on my way out the door in a Tupperware and eat when I get to work (less than 1 minute needed). I toss in a baggie I prepare ahead of time which has pepitas, brown sugar, almonds/pecans, and cranberries. Easy and delicious!

Jil April 8, 2010 at 8:37 am

LOVE Alton Brown for so many reasons. I have never made overnight oats myself buuut yeah, I have always admired them from afar in the blogosphere. They look absolutely amazing!

Jes (Self Motivation) April 8, 2010 at 8:40 am

I have never tried overnight oats, but they definitely look good! I will have to give them a shot. Where do you purchase chia seeds?

Also, I LOVE Alton Brown! He combines two of my favorite things… food and chemistry!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 8, 2010 at 8:41 am

I love overnight oats! I usually make them with yogurt and chia….yum :-)

Mae April 8, 2010 at 8:42 am

Wow yours looks 100% better than mine!! :-) Hahaha I’m horrible at those mental rotation tests too…
The banana totally makes the oats, so true!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 8, 2010 at 8:48 am

Well, I feel dumb. I’ve always heated mine after. Who knew you were supposed to eat them cold? They look good, but like you I’m a little skeptical about the temperature. I might cheat and microwave them still.

Danielle_veg April 8, 2010 at 8:50 am

My version of overnight oats involves soaking my steel-cut oats before cooking them in the morning. Alton Brown (AB to his fans!) uses a slow cooker to prepare his oats overnight, so a hot breakfast is ready in the morning. I agree with Samantha Angela: this delicious recipe sounds like Bircher muesli. YUM.

Danielle_veg April 8, 2010 at 8:52 am

By the way, one of my friends frequently adds soaked, rolled oats to his protein shakes! You might like to try it. Simply soak a half-cup of rolled oats in water or juice for at least 20 minutes, then blend with protein powder and fruit or whatever you like in your smoothies!

Jen April 8, 2010 at 8:50 am

I love overnight oats! I usually mix 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, a LOT of cinnamon, 1 smushed banana, 2 tablespoons flax seed oil, and a handful of goji berries to an almost empty nut butter jar. It’s a great way to get the extra nut butter out that is stuck to the sides and rim :) I’ve finally found chia seeds at a local market, so next time I will definitely add some.

Katie T April 8, 2010 at 9:00 am

One of my biggest worries when I went vegan almost a year ago was how to replace my beloved Greek yogurt in my overnight oats – but you’re right, I’ve found that the combo of mashed banana + chia seeds + almond milk does the trick! I usually throw in half a scoop of brown rice protein powder too for a little extra boost and the stevia sweetness!
Now I play around with all kind of variations – cocoa powder and PB for Reese’s oats, canned pumpkin, walnuts, and raisins for pumpkin-pie oats…the possibilities are endless! The other day I did lemon-zucchini-poppyseed overnight oats (inspired by the muffins I was making) by adding some shredded zucchini, crushed pineapple, poppyseeds, and lemon zest to the usual mix. It was DIVINE – highly recommended!
Thanks for the amazing blog Angela! Blogs like yours have been SO important for me as I’ve overcome by disordered eating tendencies (and transitioned to veganism!). You are a fantastic healthy role model and a source of constant inspiration!!

Shelly April 8, 2010 at 9:03 am

I make mine the exact same way- with almond milk and chia seeds! I like to add frozen cherries and vanilla to mine the night before and top it off with almond butter in the morning. So good!

Jessica P April 8, 2010 at 9:06 am

I totally turn maps according to where we’re going!! I just can’t get it if I don’t! I’ve tried Alton Brown’s oats in the crockpot before, and I did not like them at all! I thought they were very bland, and if I recall correctly very watery-not how I like my oats! I might have to try the overnight oats though, and have them cold, now that the weather is getting warmer here in NC.

krystina April 8, 2010 at 9:11 am

I really want to try overnight oats but I used my last banana today.:( I wonder if a thawed frozen banana or pumpkin puree would work instead?

Gina April 8, 2010 at 9:16 am

I had overnight oats this morning for my first time too!! Mine were made with greek yogurt and almond milk. I added mixed berries and a banana and some stevia for some sweet. They were just so so but yours look amazing. I think I shall try your version soon!

Laura April 8, 2010 at 9:18 am

I have tried overnight steel cut oats and didn’t like the texture… but I will try your recipe, sounds yummy!
I have a healthy living question for you… what do you use to clean your house? I have made some big changes to my eating, stopped the fake sugars, been exercising regularly, etc. I feel great and want to continue this healthy lifestyle. I have been wondering about healthy cleaning products. I’d love to hear your thoughts and wonder what your readers use, too. Love your blog!

Madeleine @ Notes On A Page April 8, 2010 at 9:19 am

It’s not vegan-friendly, but I love overnight oats with cottage cheese instead of yogurt. Any way you make ’em, they’re a great quickie breakfast!

Zoe September 23, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Cool idea: cottage cheese!

Therese April 8, 2010 at 9:23 am

THANK YOU for posting about overnight oats without yogurt! I LOVE yogurt and I LOVE oatmeal but I seem to NOT love the two together! I’ve tried overnight oats and didn’t like it because of the yogurt. I’ll definitely give it a shot without the yogurt though as I love the idea of overnight oats, gives me more time in the mornings for other things!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 8, 2010 at 9:24 am

YUM I love overnight oats!!! They are the best! I liked to have them ready for breakfast last summer after coming in from a morning run. So good!! I didn’t know they were from Alton Brown though, the first person that I learned about them from was Kath.

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 8, 2010 at 9:26 am

i have tried them and was NOT a fan…i didn’t love the cold oats and the texture was just off. i think i’d rather have cold yogurt with homemade toasted oats on top or something like that where the texture matches my expectation in taste (does that make sense?)

Jess @ MTL Veggie April 8, 2010 at 9:28 am

Mmm Overnight Oats are great for my mornings on the run! I like to use vanilla soymilk, almond butter, banana, some walnuts, if I’m in the mood for added creaminess I’ll add some yogurt to the mix, and top it off with a sprinkling of cinnamon. So good!!

Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES April 8, 2010 at 9:33 am

Favorite method of overnight oats is equal parts almond milk, greek yogurt and oats. Obviously not vegan, but delicioso :)

Amy April 8, 2010 at 9:35 am

I just started making overnight oats to save time in the morning. I use steel cut oats because I like the crunchy texture. I add Hemp milk, flax, and the oats for overnight, then in the morning, I mix in some cinnamon, a small banana, a bit of yoghurt, and a spoonful of crunchy almond butter. Yummy!

Juliana April 8, 2010 at 9:49 am

As always you inspired me to try something new and healthy! I hate cooking in the morning, so I will definately try the overnight oatmeal! Thanks!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 9:51 am

Whew that is a lot of fiber and protein! Overnight oats have always turned me off a bit just because of the whole coldness factor, but I can see how is could be great in the summer!

Christina April 8, 2010 at 9:52 am

I tried overnight oats last summer. Like you, I was grossed out by the idea of cold oats and amazed that they were so good! Then after that I meant to make them again but never remembered to do it at night. I’m more of a morning person! I think I will definitely try out your recipe though, I just need to go buy normal oats – I only have steel cut!

And I had my first green monster of the season on Tuesday. YUM :)

nut April 8, 2010 at 9:53 am

Nice creation. I think HEAB did something similar. There are a million different ways to do overnight oats and a million different toppings for sure, I need to start this experimenting stuff!

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 8, 2010 at 9:54 am

I just made overnight oats for this morning! I did 1/2 cup oats + 1/2 cup almond milk + 1/2 cup pumpkin (and pumpkin pie spice and sweetner :) ) It comes out super thick!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2010 at 9:59 am

must use pumpkin!!!

kayla April 8, 2010 at 9:58 am

Hey Angela! I have a quick question.. Do you think they would work w/o the banana, or is there something I can substitute it with? I really HATE banana flavored things..icecream, oats, candy..etc. But I do love bananas haha weird!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2010 at 10:00 am

The banana is great because it adds a creamy sweetness, but you could definitely make it without- just add more sweetener on top, or like someone else mentioned, try sweetened protein powder!

Alyne September 20, 2010 at 11:22 am

Peeled ripe pears = sweet and thickens.

Pears are my new secret ingredient for sandwiches, oats, yogurts (soy or otherwise), salads <3

Lizz (Leading the Good Life) April 8, 2010 at 9:59 am

I love overnight oats, too! I like mine on the ‘chewy’ side, so I tend to use a little less liquid.

Run Sarah April 8, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’ve tried them before with just liquid and I hated them – I may have to try with yogurt or chia seeds. I just love my warm oats!

Kelly Michelle April 8, 2010 at 10:06 am

That’s exactly how I make my overnight oats actually, I just use almond milk since I don’t buy dairy free yogurt and I always add chia. My usual flavor is carob powder though, so yummy- I also mix in unsweetened brown rice protein powder.

Kelly Michelle April 8, 2010 at 10:06 am

p.s. please let me know how the homemade deodorant worked!!! I am dying to know

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2010 at 11:41 am

I’m on the fence…no conclusion until I make my next batch with tea tree oil and maybe lavendar

Ashley April 8, 2010 at 10:13 am

I love overnight oats. I was actually craving some last night so I made them for breakfast this morning. Meghann (graduatemeghann.com) gave me the idea first. I use 1/2 cup oats. about 3/4 cup almond milk. A LOT of cinnamon and small scoop of peanut butter. I leave that over night then in the morning I add a chopped up apple and a little pumpkin granola for crunch. They are truly amazing. YUM

Michelle April 8, 2010 at 10:18 am

I make it a few nights every week so I can have breakfast once I get to work…my recipe is a different. It’s called muesli to go and I got it out of COOK GREAT FOOD by the dieticians of canada.

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup frozen berries
1 tbsp honey (to taste for sweetness)

then I add a sliced banana in the morning. It is tied for favourite breakfast with slow cooked oats and PB.

[email protected] April 8, 2010 at 10:19 am

My mom often gave us Muesli when I was a child and this is exactly what overnight oats has always reminded me of….almost a raw granola actually.

I use almond milk instead of yogurt, it thickens up as the oats absorb the liquid, and add chopped fresh fruit fruit.

YUM!

I want to know about the deodorant also!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2010 at 11:42 am

Aoife - Adventures in Veg April 8, 2010 at 10:22 am

I’ve never tried this…I think I will during the summer when it’s hotter! (It’s still fairly cold here). Love oats every morning in the winter so why not summer ;)
The Alton Brown recipe is for cooked oats, so it’s different – it’s for the lucky folk with slow cookers.

Gina April 8, 2010 at 10:23 am

About 5 years ago when I was working out with a trainer, he told me to mix raw oats with yogurt and eat it for breakfast every day. I did that for about 5 months and got pretty sick of it and initially thought it was coming back to haunt me in the blogworld! However, the idea of letting it sit overnight and add yummy toppings may convince me to try it out again:)

Marcia April 8, 2010 at 10:28 am

That looks incredibly yummy. I’ve been hearing about overnight oats on the blog-o-sphere and MUST try them now. Yum. This is the first time that I’ve read the actual directions.

And I am also horrible at mental rotation. I also turn a map. And I’m an engineer. At my first real job, I was looking at drawings for installation of a test system onboard a ship. For about 18 months of preparation. It was >1 year into it before I realized “oh wait, THAT’S where you are putting it??” I couldn’t picture it from drawings, and this was pre-high-speed internet days, so it’s not like anyone could email me a picture.

Amy @ Everything is Homemade April 8, 2010 at 10:38 am

What a coincidence! I just made overnight oats for the first time on Tuesday night and ate them yesterday morning. And I thought I was the very last person to the overnight oat party!

In my mix went:
1/2 cup oats
3/4 cup soy milk
2 tbsp ground flax
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Handful of dried cranberries
Handful of sliced almond

It was delicious! I’ll be eating this all summer!

Megan (from Happily Healthy) April 8, 2010 at 10:41 am

I always heat my overnight oats in the microwave for about 30 seconds. This was they’re not cold but not too hot. Just warm and perfectly delish!

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 8, 2010 at 10:51 am

I’m not a big fan of overnight oats… The reason ? I’m not a huge fan of “sweet oats”. I posted here about that :)

What I do love is chia pudding like things. So, maybe I’ll give your vegan version some time!

-Mary :)

Tina April 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

I haven’t tried overnight oats and don’t plan to. I am a HUGE texture eater so the thought of it makes me think it will be like soggy bread, which I cannot stomach at all. So if I want to cool down my oats, I just have them with yogurt mixed in. LOL

And I think those figures are the same. I want to know if they are now!

Carrie (Love Healthy Living) April 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

Love overnight oats! I have them every other morning. Here’s my step by step guide for how I make mine: http://bit.ly/cHOVoD. Love your blog!

Kayzilla April 8, 2010 at 11:16 am

I’ve tried them before… sort of. I used to mix my oats with yogurt and let them sit for a few minutes and get a very similar texture. The problem I have is that I’m SOOOO impatient. When I know there’s oats, and they’re going to turn into yummy cold oats, I get so antsy that I want to gulp them up, liquid and all right from the refrigerator. Strange? Maybe a little.

Allison @ Food For Healing April 8, 2010 at 11:22 am

overnight oats sound like such a great idea, i should do it sometime haha

GPS is great, i’m sure i will be getting on eventually, especially if we go for a road trip to the states, i wouldn’t be able to handle trying to read a map!

Catherine April 8, 2010 at 11:36 am

Yummmm! I totally want to try this for tomorrow morning – I love love oats, but never have time to cook them on work days, and don’t eat dairy, so the Chia seed sub is right up my alley!

kathleen April 8, 2010 at 11:42 am

I’m a fan, but I don’t make them all the time because I like to have fruit in the morning. I think they originally come from adapted museli recipes. I used to love the museli that my childhood friend’s mom used to make the morning after sleepovers. It had apples and flax seeds in it too. I’ll have to try to recreate that soon.

Dana April 8, 2010 at 11:51 am

Congrats on your Glo Bars being featured in a store!! :)
I think they would do amazingly at my university, we have so many gourmet convenience stores and natural food stores that would stock them! Are you selling them at the farmers market this year?

Tay April 8, 2010 at 11:52 am

Banana is definitely key, although I’ve made it without the banana as well. I usually add cinnamon, maple syrup, and nut butter to the mix the night before. As well as occasionally pumpkin! Raisins are also delicious because they plump up overnight.

Marie April 8, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I make the overnight oats ALL the time and they taste like dessert to me!

I actually end up doing oats, almond milk, some yogurt, and a scoop of Chocolate Amazing Grass the night before…next morning I add in my banana and nut butter.

its chocolatey, peanut buttery deliciousness! I’m obsessed!

Sara April 8, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I’ve been making vegan overnight oats for a while now – but I use Stonyfield O’Soy yogurt! It’s made in my home state, so I have to represent. The fruit-on-the-bottom ones are particularly awesome =)

One Healthy Apple April 8, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I love overnight oats. I prefer them vegan and had them this morning! I added:
-1/2 cup oats
-almond milk- 1/2 cup
-chia seeds
-unsweetened applesauce
-chopped strawberries
-blueberries

Elizabeth April 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Hello Angela- I’m new and have been reading your wonderful blog for several months. In fact, you and your readers inspired this 50 year old to start running- used to hate but now love it so thank you! :-)

I had to laugh @ your map rotation comment cause I thought I was the only one who did that! My DH feels much the same as Eric.

I love your oats ideas- they look yummy. I have been making mine on the stovetop and I add some cooked quinoa (thanks to you again!) to it and it’s delicious. Thought I would put that out there as I know you love quinoa and it’s a good way to get more protein in our oats.

Thanks for your blog and wish you continued success both with your blog and bakery business!

Jenna April 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Confession. I’ve never had overnight oats. It seems so simple though, I need to get on board!

Kelly April 8, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I love overnight oats in the summer when it’s too humid to breathe let alone turn on the stove. I use 1/3 c oats, 2/3 c almond milk, assorted dried fruits, flax meal. I add walnuts when I’m getting ready to eat it. I’m goiing to have to find the chia seeds. I bet the banana makes it a lot thicker. I’m going to have to try that.

Lin April 8, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I have been having overnight oats for breakfast every day since about the same time I started daily Green Monsters… I drink a GM as soon as I get out of bed, then shower, makeup, hair, and on to the oats, then on my way to work. This is so filling and satisfying (not to mention energizing!) that if I have to work til two or three without a break, I’m okay with that. I like to use a chopped up pink lady apple instead of banana sometimes, as well as addng a half scoop of whey protein and some cinnamon. Also, if I’m not in the mood for cold cereal, it does warm up well after 1 minute in the microwave. Love fresh blueberries on top!

One side note: a hard time of day for me used to be about four o’clock… I always wanted a sweet snack then (chocolate chip cookies were my downfall!!) So instead I substitute a second GM at that time. No cookies or coffee for six weeks now! And what a difference in the way I feel. Again, thanks for all your fascinating info. I follow about 5 blogs, but yours is my absolute favorite. ;o)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Those oats look amazing! I am *considering* going completely vegan, and currently my overnight oats contain yogurt, so I will need to try these!!

xo
K

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope April 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm

i eat oatmeal every day, but the thought of over night oats COLD always scared me, even though i’ve seen jenna from “eat, live, run” and kath do it, as well. But now that you’ve done it and approve of the flavor, I might need to go ahead and give it a try!!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Hmm I haven’t thought of adding a banana smashed. I usually chop it up and have it as a topping. I’ll try it this way next time!

La April 8, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I just started doing overnight oats and I can’t go back. I do it pretty simply and it’s rather fool proof. I mash up at least half a banana with nut butter until like a batter, add 1/3c oats, whatever mix ins I want (usually cocoa powder, cinnamon, ground flax, nuts, raisins), and a splash of almond milk or water to stir it all together, let it sit overnight, and it’s pretty wonderful. With the cocoa powder (which is pretty much a daily addition) it tastes like a brownie for breakfast, but healthier.

Dukka Girl April 8, 2010 at 3:13 pm

As someone mentioned above, the original overnight oats are Swiss Birchermuesli. I blogged about it only a day or two ago:) It’s basically grated apple and oats soaked in milk overnight, then add yogurt and other fruit in the morning.

Kelly April 8, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I am obsessed with overnight oats! I ran across it somewhere in the food blog world and just had to try it and see what the hype was about! I love how quick it is in the morning! I don’t have to think about breakfast at all, just take the bowl out of the fridge and enjoy! I have even got my boyfriend on board. ;)

My usual bowl of overnight oats includes: 1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup plain yogurt, 1/3 cup milk, sliced strawberries (and any other berries on hand) with about a pound of cinnamon mixed in. ;) If I have chia seeds, I throw those in too!

Erika April 8, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I absolutely love love love overnight oats. I pretty much have them every morning while sitting in my car counting down the last few minutes before I have to go into work. My latest concoction has been to have them with banana and peaches along with the usual yogurt and chia seeds. Sort of like a peaches and cream dessert. Soooooo good! I’m glad you finally jumped on the OO bandwagon :)

Theresa April 8, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Those overnight oats sound SO good! YUM! I have also been so nervous to try them but your post inspired me! I think they will be perfect for breakfast next week before work! I will have to add some ingredients to my grocery list. I also have a question, how did you calculate the nutrition info like that?

Thank you! :) I love your blog!!!

Iris April 8, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I LOVE overnight oats!! I make them with

– 1 cup of rolled oats
– 1/2 cup of apple juice
– 1/2 cup of 8th Continent (Light) Vanilla soy milk
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– dime-sized amount of honey (but lately I’ve been trying it w/o the honey to decrease sweeteners in my diet)

I like eating them cold. I usually end up making about 5 in advance…….and I eat them on my days off for lunch, along with an apple and frozen banana. Love it!

Caz April 8, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I always assumed Overnight Oats was just the American name for Bircher Muesli which is very common here in Australia and something that I think has been around in Europe for ages and ages.

Perhaps because it’s so warm the whole year here, it’s on every breakfast menu in every cafe and there’s a ton of different variations. It’s definitely delicious!

But I don’t think Alton Brown invented it, despite what he may claim.

Kris April 8, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I love overnight oats, if I can leave them alone until morning. I start snacking on them shortly after making (I’m weird, I don’t mind the taste of raw oats). I make mine w/ soy milk, vanilla, craisins, and almonds. I had to quit making them because I was eating too much of them!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) April 8, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I tried to make them the other night. My oats never absorbed the liquid! What did I do wrong? I used 1/3 cup GF oats, 1/3 cup almond milk, and 1/3 cup water; covered my bowl, and left it in the frige overnight.

court June 24, 2010 at 7:39 pm

did you try using the ground flax or chia seeds? that’s supposed to thicken it…

mountain girl April 8, 2010 at 9:12 pm

How ’bout one-WEEK oats??? You can make awesome yogurt by blending oats with water til smooth and thick, then culture in a yogurt maker or warm place for 48 hours or longer. For toppings, I stir in coconut milk, cinnamon, chia and flax meal, shredded coconut, stevia, and sometimes blueberries. It’s so good…I’m getting addicted! It works even better with whole oat groats. You can learn more if you google “oatgurt”.

Jessica April 8, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I’m such a fan of overnight oats! Who doesn’t love a quick, warm and filling breakfast?! I like to add coconut milk yogurt along w/ vanilla hemp milk for extra richness, molasses for a touch of sweet and then it’s all about the spices: cardamom, ginger, curry and cloves (not all at once)are my key to not getting bored w/ it. Yum!

Rebecca April 8, 2010 at 10:14 pm

are you supposed to cover the bowl or just leave in the fridge open?

unavocis April 8, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Very cool :) I look forward to trying this! Before I got too far into it, I thought you were going to discuss a slow cooker recipe. But I was not disappointed!
Love the recipe :)

Judy (Cookbook maven) April 9, 2010 at 4:49 am

I’ve blogged a few times about my overnight oats. Usually involves chocolate & PB (which you can add in the night before, btw, too).

And I don’t eat mine cold — I warm them up in my oven at the lowest setting for about 20-30 minutes — it’s like eating an oatmeal cookie & I adore it.

And a big congrats on getting into a store! We’ll all be able to say we knew you when.

Susan April 9, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I am convinced that Alton Brown is the source of most genius culinary delights ;)

I have tried and tried, and I just cannot get into overnight oats. I prefer my breakfasts to be warm when possible, and when given the choice I will always choose HOT oats over cold ones! (but with an ICED coffee please ;) )

Jolene April 9, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I have never tried overnight oats, but I plan on trying them soon!

Candice April 10, 2010 at 8:34 am

I’m so glad you finally tried overnight oats! I love them! They are a great idea for those of us who have to leave for work really early or have to eat on the go. I make the vegan version, but usually add pumpkin and cinnamon to mine. Love them! Oh, and chia seeds are definitely the “icing on the cake”:)

Lynda April 10, 2010 at 8:35 am

First time trying overnight oats, I was a little skeptical. I really don’t like the idea of cold oatmeal, but these were pretty good. I’m very impressed and I am curious to see how long I stay full for. I will definetly be posting this recipe on my blog too. Thanks,Ang!

Nichole May 8, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Angela, I just got turned on to your blog and this was the first thing I made. OMG, yum!

Here’s mine: http://veganniche.blogspot.com/2010/05/overnight-oats.html

Thanks so much for the recipe!

Nicole June 1, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hi Angela.

This recipe is rather amazing. Thank you very much for sharing. Both my husband and I really enjoyed it this morning.

I found your website for Green Monsters a while ago, and made them for a while. Then winter came, and I got away from them, and frankly, completely forgot about them. But then I remembered them, and had one yesterday morning…delish!

Your ‘Oh She Glows’ website is fantastic. I really enjoy reading through everything. You are quite an inspiration. :)

Tonight I’m making your ‘cheesy’ oats. I’ve never used nutritional yeast before, but I’m quite an adventurous person in the kitchen.

Take care,
Nicole

Katie June 19, 2010 at 12:21 am

OMG…. overnight oats sound so good!! Thanks for the awesome tip! Especially in the summer… eating something hot just isn’t as appealing.
I soak my cereal the night before I eat it too…. corn flakes or special k. Its very very good.
How mushy do the oats get? Would it get softer/ more mushy leaving it longer…. like ‘soaked for 30 hours oats’?

court June 23, 2010 at 7:35 pm

about the overnight oats: is it important to use chia seeds? and, do i need to use almond milk? or would normal skim milk work okay?

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Normal milk will work! YOu need either chia seeds or ground flax seeds typically to make it thick enough. Otherwise it will be watery.

court June 24, 2010 at 7:37 pm

okay, thanks! these look amazing, i’ll be trying them soon :)

Debbie McKnight July 3, 2010 at 10:38 am

Well I’m a little behind, but I just tried VOO. I thought, “How good can they be?” Boy was I surprised! They are delicious!! I just sliced up some strawberries (no nut butter or syrup for me) and it was fabulous. I’ll be having those a lot more often. I put brown rice protein powder in mine and it tasted great. When I put it in hot oats, it’s rather nasty. Thanks for a great new breakfast idea.

Eleanor July 12, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I love overnight oats (or cold porridge, as it’s probably less interestingly called here in England!) probably even more than hot ones but, and this is probably weird, I just put them in water overnight and eat them like that… Mmmmm! x

Eleanor July 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Ps – I’ve just read Katie’s comment and if you leave them in the fridge like that two nights, they’re even better!

Jeneine Boyd July 26, 2010 at 4:41 am

Hi Angela,
I love your recipes on your website!
I have a querie regarding portion size of overnight oats, & nut butter, & prunes/dried fruit, and was wondering if you could give me your opininion.
I make overnight oats for my husband & myself – enough to last for a few days to a week depending on how hungry my husband is. My recipe is as follows – 3 cups organic rolled oats, 3 tbls chia seed, 1/2 cup pepitas, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 2 tbls organic shredded coconut, cinnamon to taste, 1/2 cup raisins, this is all soaked in water overnight & left in the fridge until all consumed throughout the week by the 2 of us. AM topping for myself are 6-8 nuts, brazil, macadamia, cashew & almonds, 3 prunes, tsp flaxseed meal, and a drizzle of Agavae Syrup. I serve myself 5 heaped tbls which is equivalent to about 3/4 of a cup. Do you think this is too much? And is that too many nuts & dried prunes to add in the AM? I have this for brunch & have some raw vegies if hungry in the afternoon to tide me ove till dinner. Also with the nut butters, when I have them on my spelt toast I spread it quite thick it would probably be 1 1/2 tbls is that too much?, lunch is then usually followed with a smoothie made from a big handful of baby spinach, 1/2 cup rasberries, 1/4 frozen banana, an apple, tbls maca powder, tbls chia, tbls flaxseed meal, 1 cup H2O, & 1/2 cup rice milk.
I would really love your response to these questions.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2010 at 10:36 am

Hey there!
I can’t comment specifically on whether it is too much because for one I don’t know how many calories you need and two I am not sure what the caloric breakdown would be for your recipe. =) I would suggest going to nutritiondata.com and entering in the recipe and then dividing it by the amount of servings you get out of it, to find out the nutrit. breakdown. Hope this helps! =)
Angela

elaine! August 7, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I tried overnight oats once and they were nasty. I think it’s because most recipes call for yogurt, which I simply don’t like very much. I’m going to try again one of these days without yogurt, because I LOVE my hot oatmeal on cold mornings. I think I needed more sweetness and a less soupy texture, so I’ll try the mashed banana thing for sure.

Clare August 12, 2010 at 9:47 am

I know I am the last person on the boat for this but I just tried overnight oats for the first time last week and they were AMAZING. They have completely changed my mornings and energy/mood for the first half of the day!

THANK YOU.

Cameron August 13, 2010 at 9:29 am

These looks amazing… but how imperative are the chia seeds? I can’t find any in my area… is there something you can replace them with?

Kelly Izzo August 16, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I tried these for breakfast today, really really good! Thanks for posting! :)

I linked to your blog, you should check mine out. Kelly-izzo.blogspot.com

Epicurean Vegan August 24, 2010 at 11:58 am

Oh my gosh, that looks wonderful! I will definitely try that. Thanks!

Kelli September 4, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I just stumbled upon your website the other day. I am training for my first marathon and usually down a few chia seeds before runs. This morning I did my first 20 miler and thought there was no better time than that to try your overnight oats. I fell in love! They were delicious and I have never felt better! I finished my run with a green monster! Thanks for all the advice and I can’t wait to keep trying all of these wonderful suggestions!

Tiffany September 7, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Hi- not exactly sure how I found your website but I have been enjoying the vegan overnight oats for a few days now and love them (and have told my mom about them) and I have also made one of your recent cookie recipes. Thank you so much for posting. I’m about to celebrate 6 months going vegan (and honestly never felt better) and I have been struggling with my sweet tooth so your recipes and insight have been really encouraging for me. Originally from California, I’m currently living in Aberdeen, Scotland (almost 3 years now), it’s been challenging being vegan surrounded by a lot of friends who think I’m strange and being picky…so it’s been nice to receive some great encouragement and support even if it’s through a blog!

Kristen September 14, 2010 at 10:01 am

Thank you so much for the food ideas. I just tried this last night and this morning had one yummy breakfast (I don’t have the chia seeds yet, though). I am trying so hard to get healthy, but fall off quite often, and my body and emotions feel it, then my family suffers too. Do you have a “grocery list” of the items you buy on a regular basis? I’m desperate for a little guidance and help to getting more consistent. HELP!

Rasha September 18, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Two words: nom nom.

I’ve actually been making these for quite some time now, even before my obsessed friend lead me to your website and showed me this recipe. How awesome is that! :)

I like adding a bunch of stuff to mine, including ground flax seeds, wheat germ, a little bit of coconut flour, cinnamon, kasha, and I sometimes half the oats with spelt/rye flakes. Today is the first time I add the chia seeds and the banana, so I’m sooo excited for tomorrow morning! I almost want to eat it now! But ah, patience!

Thank you! :)

-Rasha

Danielle April 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I have been enjoying overnight oats ever since I saw them on this blog. I’ve discovered that a combo of cinnamon, raisins, bananas and almond extract makes the oats taste like cookies :)

Jennifer Jasman April 10, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I am trying the overnight oats for the second time (will have them tomorrow morning) The first time (last year) I made them with quick oats and I really couldnt get past the look of them…this time I got some regular oats and I am going to share them with my hubby hopping it turns out as it looks like a lot of people really like them YAY for trying new things :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2012 at 6:41 am

Yes they are much much better with regular oats…I hope it goes better for you!

Jon @Elements2Lead April 11, 2012 at 12:47 pm

These were amazing. What a great way to have something ready in the morning. Thank you so much for sharing. Love your story too. Keep being the person you are! Thanks.

Jennifer Jasman April 11, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Update: Both me and my husband liked them although I wouldnt have it every day definitly going to put it the weekly rotation. I did however read the recipe incorrectly and added 2/3 Cups of oats, it actually was a good amount for sharing :) I will try other flavours as I progress :) Thanks Angela for the encouragement!

Isabelle April 18, 2012 at 2:23 pm

LOVE, love love this recipe. My 13 year old son tried it this morning and loved it too.
I made it with my winter fruit compote instead of banada and that is soooo yummy :)
PS: never had Chia seeds before and love those too.
God bless the day I found your blog!

Beth April 18, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Can I substitute the Chai Seed with Flax seed? I couldn’t find any at my grocery store

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I dont think it will have the same effect, although I could be wrong!

Julie May 16, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Oh ye non-lovers of the overnight oatmeal, try your oats made in the morning with 1 c oats, 2 c almond milk. Cook 20 min and add 1 tbsp cacao powder, 2 tbsp maple syrup and 2 tbsp flax. Spoon into bowls and add 1 tsp almond butter and a splash of almond milk. Mmmmm. Warm creamy, dreamy chocolatey pudding for breakfast! And it’s healthy! But shhh! It’s my little secret!

Johanna May 18, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I have just prepared my over night oats for the morning! (first time trying it!) But I ran out of chia seeds. Could anything else be substituted? Flaxseed perhaps? Thank you, and cannot wait to try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2012 at 10:57 am

Ive tried it with ground flax before and I wasnt a fan personally!

niah June 21, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I am trying this with steel cut oats! I wonder if steel cut is ok I also used another choco protein powder I had

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Ive tried it with steel cut oats before and I didnt really care for it. I missed that creaminess from that rolled oats! I do know some ppl like it with SC though so you might enjoy it!

Kristen August 15, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Just made my second batch. I use ground chia and unsweetened rice milk. In the morning I’ll be adding blueberries and baked apple chunks (apple, cinnamon, maple syrup). I add my banana in the morning too =)! Oh and some homemade granola too for crunch that has roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds in it! Eventually I’m going to try with some Sunbutter added in. Love all the suggestions here! Will be trying with pumpkin too! Wow…tons of ideas popping into my head!

Diana September 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Just started on overnight oats after finding this thread. Love them. I omit the banana and used dried currents or raisins instead. Wonderng, can you make up a weeks worth in separate containers at a time?

Mandi Adler September 27, 2012 at 10:49 am

I eat different renditions of this daily. It’s also good with coconut milk. My favorite combo is with wheat germ and ground flax.

Dave October 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Thank you very much for this delicious recipe!! This is so easy to make and is so good!!! It fills me up and I can go strong at work until lunch time with this awesome breakfast!! I also tried this with the green monster and what an awesome breakfast that made!! Thank you for such a wonderful awesome breakfast treat!!

Syd October 16, 2012 at 4:30 am

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for for about 10 months now when I made the transition to be vegan (I was vegetarian for 10 years prior) and I’ve been inching to make these oats since! I finally had the (pardon my french) balls to do it and I absolutely love them!!

Thanks for this recipe and I will make these often as I usually have to get up super early for work and have little time. I usually make a green smoothie but this is such a nice treat!

Syd from Halifax :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 16, 2012 at 10:14 am

So glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Wendy October 28, 2012 at 11:33 am

I have been wanting to try these, but this morning was the time but I had not prepped overnight also no chia seeds yet, so I combined everything and then microwaved for 1 min. Then let sit for 1 hour, then added cooking grade maple syrup and a single serving of Justin’s Almond butter, YUMMY! I will make an overnight batch for tommorow too, Thsnk you

Katy November 9, 2012 at 9:09 am

Hi Angela,

I made this recipe last night for breakfast this morning along with 1 tbs chocolate peanut butter. In the morning, my VOO tasted yummy but the texture was sort of liquidy and soggy. Is that how it’s supposed to be? I like a breakfast bowl with a little more bulk. Should I add less milk or something? Figured I would ask you because you’re the queen of VOO and I’m determined to perfect mine! :)
Thanks so much.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

Hey Katy, Yes you are right, it’s supposed to be mushy, that’s just how this dish is and I know it’s not for everyone. That being said, you can certainly reduce the amount of milk next time. Also, the chia seeds are a necessary ingredient as they soak up a lot of the liquid. I encourage you to play around with the recipe until it suits your needs. Goodluck!

Kacey December 15, 2012 at 9:54 am

Is there anything I can use to replace the banana? I tried this today (omitting banana) and the texture was kinda strange and a little on the watery side. I’m thinking the banana probably helps with thickening it, but I can’t stomach them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hey Kacey, Im sorry I dont know of a sub. The banana def. thickens it up and sweetens nicely. you might be able to get away with grated apple but I dont think it will thicken quite as much. Youd probably need to reduce the milk content.

Vegan Radhika SArohia December 16, 2012 at 2:46 am

Never even heard of heard of VOO till this blog! I didn’t even know what “VOO” was when I saw it in other ohsheglow posts on here till stumbling upon this entry [somehow found my way over to this post while trying to search out basil recipes for tomorrow haha]

Anyway, gonna have to purchase some chia seeds and try this out soon, looks good!:)

Rachel January 3, 2013 at 8:12 am

What an awesome recipe! Thank you so much Angela. I bought chia seeds for the first time just so I could use them for these oats and what a treat. So excited I finally have something filling and quick for breakfast.

Thank you again!
Rachel

Jenny January 10, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I’m only very new to discovering the wonders of chia & I’m loving this recipe.
Of all the chia puddings I’ve tried this is my fav, I added a tablespoon of cacao powder & drizzled some maple syrup over the top then a sprinkling of shredded coconut

Sarah January 31, 2013 at 10:31 am

Wow – this is truly the first batch of “oatmeal” that I’ve ever liked! This is also the first time I have used chia seeds – I loved the added thickness and tapioca-like texture they created. The only change I’ll make next time will be to blend the banana and milk (I used oat milk) together before letting it sit overnight, just to make it a bit smoother. Thanks for the recipe – I’m looking forward to trying new fruit and topping combinations!

Healthnut Nutrition February 13, 2013 at 10:29 am

I’ve never tried over night oats but I might just have to since I have all the above ingredients:) I’ve been loving oatmeal in the morning and recently made an amazing batch which I posted on my youtube channel and blog you can check it out here: healthnutnutrition.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/the-best-oatmeal-ever/

Maria February 17, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I just prepared this with millet flakes and oat milk – looking forward to the morning! (Wow, I actually wrote that, considering that in six hours I’ll have to get up on a Monday morning… wow.)

Katie February 21, 2013 at 9:43 am

I made my overnight oats with my homemade almond milk (also your recipe!)… and I have to tell you, this is one of the most amazing breakfasts I have had in a while! Way better than using store bought almond milk!

Now I just need to find a way to use the leftover milled almonds from the milk process :)

Hannah February 22, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I work at a donut shop and I’m converting to a plant strong/vegan diet, this will be just PERFECT for my situation! I can make it the night before then grab it at 3 in the morning and take it to work with me! LOVVVEEE!

Kelly March 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Made this for today’s breakfast & it was really good!!! Thank You! I have tried overnight oats w/ yogurt and wasn’t that fond of it, but this one is a keeper. I felt great all morning, not hungry (usually an hour after breakfast I’m ravenous). It was nice that I did the prep the night before and it was just waiting for me in the fridge come morning!

Emma March 31, 2013 at 3:15 am

Mmm I had this for breakfast today it’s lovely :) I bet it would be nice with chocolate milk instead of almond and the vegan equivalent of Nutella instead of nut butter!

Allison April 7, 2013 at 8:43 am

I just made overnight oats with chopped spinach, raisins, and cinnamon. Surprisingly delicious!

Marg May 28, 2013 at 12:46 am

I have a recipe similar to this. I am not vegan but tried it and found it was so good I am hooked on VOO. I make mine in a jelly sealer and it’s a neat way to serve it in the morning. My grandkids love Grandma’s jarred Oatmeal “Pudding”
Per sealer I just add the measures into the jars one by one as listed in the recipe, so line them up into a production line.
1/3 c.old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 c.pure juice… your choice
1 tsp. honey or agava syrup
1/4 c. Silk Pure Almond
1 tsp. Chia seeds (if you have them but it works without also)
1/4 c. fresh fruit, blueberries, strawberries coarse chopped,raspberries, ripe bananas cut in 1/4 slices
I put the lid on the sealer, shake and store overnight in the fridge. It’s delicious! Just remove the lid and serve a jar per person.

Jeff June 10, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Wow!! love, love, love this recipe…tastes like banana bread but without the fat and calories. Also I have diabetes and found this recipe has no negative effect on my blood sugar ( a good thing).

Gabrielle Hammer June 12, 2013 at 5:19 am

Brand new to this…can you use steel cut oats(aka pinhead oats) for this?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2013 at 6:53 am

I don’t recommend it – they are very very chewy and don’t get creamy like rolled oats. Of course, feel free to experiment though!

Tricia Ewanchuk June 17, 2013 at 8:56 am

Just made this for the first time and it was amazing. Thank you for this recipe.

Julie T. August 14, 2013 at 1:05 am

Tomorrow is my daughter’s first day of 8th grade (we’re in California), and she asked for this for her first day breakfast! :) We call it “Oatmeal Pudding”, LOL Thanks for the great recipe!

Natasha August 17, 2013 at 8:51 am

This is by far the most delicious oatmeal breakfast I’ve had. I’ve been meaning to try your recipe for a while and finally did. I’m savoring the last bits of it now and am in heaven. thank you for posting this.

Lisa September 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been looking for something cold and healthy I could bring to work for breakfast. This is so filling & delicious. I put everything in an old salsa jar, seal it up, and grab out of the fridge in the a.m. I missed the a.m. part of adding the maple syrup and nut butter, and think it is great without.

Emanuela January 12, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Hi :) I’d love to try this recipe but I can’t find chia seeds in Italy…how can I substitute them? :) Thank you for sharing!

Squirrel January 20, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Greetings from the Land Down Under…. My favorite ‘overnight oats’ recipe comes courtesy of Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Benner who first prepared this dish in 1900 for patients at his sanitarium who could not digest complex foods (as a footnote though, HE got the idea from a dish his Wife prepared !!!). I soak raw oats in pressed apple juice with added chopped dried apricots, dried apple, sultanas, shredded coconut, chopped dates and rice bran. Then in the morning I top it with bio-dynamic yoghurt(another footnote here- most yoghurts on the market are made with milk solids- ie milk powder- at least in part, this is NOT a digestible food as it’s small grains get lodged in the kidneys and are unable to be filtered out, and anyways, how far from milk’s natural state can you get than dried granules, errk!!! You can make your own yoghurt quite simply, but I am blessed to be able to source a lovely yoghurt made by Paris Creek Farms in Adelaide…) Anyhoos the resulting breakfast is the yummest of the yum and a great source of fibre and all sorts of goodies!!!! Jah Love from Squirrel….

daisy February 23, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I tried making this last night, using bananas and blueberries, and I love, love, loved it!! The flavor, the texture, all of it! I was sad when it was gone. On the bright side, there’s always tomorrow! :o) Thanks so much!

Aideen April 11, 2014 at 12:20 am

I’ve eaten overnight oats every morning for 10 1/2 years. I partially prepare 4 breakfasts at a time. I soak the large flake thick cut oats in almond milk. I often sprinkle about a tsp of All Bran onto the oats, too. When I’m doing the beforehand prep, I fill 4 stackable containers with frozen berries (blue, rasp, straw). I cut up a wee bit of frozen mango & a prune & add them to the berries. I also prepare 4 small containers with milled flax seed, walnut pieces, almond flakes & a couple of raisins. In the morning, I put some coconut yogurt on top of the soaked oats. I cut up part of a banana & a slice of 2 of canned peach & I add 2 or 3 grapes or blackberries. I mix together the made-ahead fruit with the daily fruit & add some juice sweetened with stevia. I pour the fruit mix on top of the oats, then sprinkle the seed/nut/raisin component on top. I put it in the microwave just long enough tp bring all the cold food to room temperature. When I’m feeling wild, I put a dollop of low-fat whipped cream on top. Today I bought chia seeds for the 1st time. I’m thinking I may use them instead of the flax sometimes (or maybe use a bit of both). (BTW, I also mix hemp protein powder into the almond milk because if I don’t get plenty of protein in the a.m., I feel terrible). It all sounds like more work that it actually is! Besides, I do 4 at a time.& I have it down to a science.

Jocelyn April 21, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I just got your cookbook and I can’t wait to get started! Quick question – can you make a week’s worth go overnight oats to last the week or should you make only what you intend to eat the next day? How does it hold up past one day?

Rusty August 1, 2014 at 8:15 am

I was skeptical, but these are amazing! I’m not even using mix-ins, just eating the base straight from the little jar it overnighted in. Mine turned out a little soupy, but I think that’s because I only used the smaller amount of chia – I’ll use both Tbsp. next time. Thanks for the great recipe!

Alex August 6, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I was surprised how good these tasted. On the constant search for other cool breakfast treats during summer and this was delicious and satisfying.

Jill January 14, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Never in my life did I ever think that I would crave overnight (COLD) oatmeal. Especially, when it has been -15F in the morning, here in Maine. Delish!

At work, I can now think of 4 people who are making them as well. Because they thought my breakfast looked great. They love how easy it is to make. Not to mention inexpensive and healthy.

patent registration in dubai February 18, 2015 at 2:18 am

Hi, all is going well here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s in fact excellent, keep up writing.

Dianne Ritchie April 6, 2015 at 1:44 am

I came across your cookbook at a local London Drugs outlet last week. I figured I could use some more ‘glow’ in my life and picked it up to take a look. WOW. Awesome book!
I was particularly struck by the Vegan Overnight Oats and Musili recipes…..Oats don’t have to be cooked?!?!? This I had to try!
I bought the book and a fresh bag of oats as well as the other ingredients needed for this recipe and for the granola recipe and made a batch of each. I loved it! and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the granola chunks on top.
My questions for you are: how long will this keep in the fridge (My husband liked it too, but has his tried and true normal morning routine and won’t eat this is often as I do)?
Have you tried freezing this dish? Does it freeze well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2015 at 10:00 am

Hi Dianne,

THank you for your kind words on the cookbook! It should keep in the fridge for a few days. I’ve tried freezing it and I don’t find it thaws very well. Hope this helps!

Iphone August 13, 2015 at 8:05 am

What’s up, just wanted to mention, I liked this post.

It was practical. Keep on posting!

Brittany October 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm

How long would this last in the fridge?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2015 at 2:11 pm