Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Greetings! Might I ask how is it Thursday already!?

Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Adapted from Ohh May’s Vegan Overnight Oats.

PM Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 1 cup almond milk, and more if needed
  • 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled and smashed
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions: Mix together the above ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge overnight.

This picture was actually taken after 1 hour in the fridge…I was like a kid on X-mas Eve and just had to peek at the presents before bed!

EDIT: Here is an updated recipe that you can print!

IMG_3907

Mental rotation…

IMG_3904

Little known fact about me- I am HORRIBLE at mental rotation- especially 3-D!

mental-rotation-test

I am the type of person who turns a map… It is probably one of the things I do that irritates (and amuses) Eric the most. It is also probably the reason he bought me a GPS for my car… :mrgreen:

In the morning, remove bowl from fridge and add your magical toppings

AM Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon nut butter
  • Pure Maple Syrup

Directions: Serve nut butter in a spoon and drizzle Maple syrup over top. Serve overnight oats cold.

IMG_3924

WOW, these were magical!

IMG_3922

All mixed up!

IMG_3925

I admit, the whole thought of eating oats COLD without cooking them totally turned me off…it just sounded GROSS…and wrong…but ohhh was this so RIGHT!

I think the banana is key in the oat mixture to add sweetness and the toppings really make it come alive into something exciting to eat!

I thought because I didn’t have any yogurt it would be a huge fail, but by increasing the chia seeds and almond milk, I was able to mimic the yogurt consistency.

The best part of it is that it took literally 2 minutes to whip together and throw in the fridge the night before. These would be a great option for summer when you don’t feel like a hot bowl of oats.

I did up the nutritional information because I know how much you guys love it!

This nutritional information includes: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 2 tablespoons chia seeds, and 1 small banana.

Untitled

9 grams of protein and 11 grams of fibre before you even add any toppings- nice! :)

Updates:

Today’s question- Have you ever tried overnight oats? How do you make them? If you haven’t tried them, would you?

I was scared, but I took one for the team and gave it a whirl…and I am so glad I did. I can see myself experimenting with all different kinds of concoctions! :)

I’m off to get my Glo Bar delivery ready for the STORE!!

Page 4 of 4«1234
Brittany October 28, 2015

How long would this last in the fridge?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2015

24-48 hours :)

Iphone August 13, 2015

What’s up, just wanted to mention, I liked this post.

It was practical. Keep on posting!

Dianne Ritchie April 6, 2015

I came across your cookbook at a local London Drugs outlet last week. I figured I could use some more ‘glow’ in my life and picked it up to take a look. WOW. Awesome book!
I was particularly struck by the Vegan Overnight Oats and Musili recipes…..Oats don’t have to be cooked?!?!? This I had to try!
I bought the book and a fresh bag of oats as well as the other ingredients needed for this recipe and for the granola recipe and made a batch of each. I loved it! and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the granola chunks on top.
My questions for you are: how long will this keep in the fridge (My husband liked it too, but has his tried and true normal morning routine and won’t eat this is often as I do)?
Have you tried freezing this dish? Does it freeze well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2015

Hi Dianne,

THank you for your kind words on the cookbook! It should keep in the fridge for a few days. I’ve tried freezing it and I don’t find it thaws very well. Hope this helps!

patent registration in dubai February 18, 2015

Hi, all is going well here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s in fact excellent, keep up writing.

Jill January 14, 2015

Never in my life did I ever think that I would crave overnight (COLD) oatmeal. Especially, when it has been -15F in the morning, here in Maine. Delish!

At work, I can now think of 4 people who are making them as well. Because they thought my breakfast looked great. They love how easy it is to make. Not to mention inexpensive and healthy.

Alex August 6, 2014

I was surprised how good these tasted. On the constant search for other cool breakfast treats during summer and this was delicious and satisfying.

Rusty August 1, 2014

I was skeptical, but these are amazing! I’m not even using mix-ins, just eating the base straight from the little jar it overnighted in. Mine turned out a little soupy, but I think that’s because I only used the smaller amount of chia – I’ll use both Tbsp. next time. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jocelyn April 21, 2014

I just got your cookbook and I can’t wait to get started! Quick question – can you make a week’s worth go overnight oats to last the week or should you make only what you intend to eat the next day? How does it hold up past one day?

Aideen April 11, 2014

I’ve eaten overnight oats every morning for 10 1/2 years. I partially prepare 4 breakfasts at a time. I soak the large flake thick cut oats in almond milk. I often sprinkle about a tsp of All Bran onto the oats, too. When I’m doing the beforehand prep, I fill 4 stackable containers with frozen berries (blue, rasp, straw). I cut up a wee bit of frozen mango & a prune & add them to the berries. I also prepare 4 small containers with milled flax seed, walnut pieces, almond flakes & a couple of raisins. In the morning, I put some coconut yogurt on top of the soaked oats. I cut up part of a banana & a slice of 2 of canned peach & I add 2 or 3 grapes or blackberries. I mix together the made-ahead fruit with the daily fruit & add some juice sweetened with stevia. I pour the fruit mix on top of the oats, then sprinkle the seed/nut/raisin component on top. I put it in the microwave just long enough tp bring all the cold food to room temperature. When I’m feeling wild, I put a dollop of low-fat whipped cream on top. Today I bought chia seeds for the 1st time. I’m thinking I may use them instead of the flax sometimes (or maybe use a bit of both). (BTW, I also mix hemp protein powder into the almond milk because if I don’t get plenty of protein in the a.m., I feel terrible). It all sounds like more work that it actually is! Besides, I do 4 at a time.& I have it down to a science.

daisy February 23, 2014

I tried making this last night, using bananas and blueberries, and I love, love, loved it!! The flavor, the texture, all of it! I was sad when it was gone. On the bright side, there’s always tomorrow! :o) Thanks so much!

Squirrel January 20, 2014

Greetings from the Land Down Under…. My favorite ‘overnight oats’ recipe comes courtesy of Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Benner who first prepared this dish in 1900 for patients at his sanitarium who could not digest complex foods (as a footnote though, HE got the idea from a dish his Wife prepared !!!). I soak raw oats in pressed apple juice with added chopped dried apricots, dried apple, sultanas, shredded coconut, chopped dates and rice bran. Then in the morning I top it with bio-dynamic yoghurt(another footnote here- most yoghurts on the market are made with milk solids- ie milk powder- at least in part, this is NOT a digestible food as it’s small grains get lodged in the kidneys and are unable to be filtered out, and anyways, how far from milk’s natural state can you get than dried granules, errk!!! You can make your own yoghurt quite simply, but I am blessed to be able to source a lovely yoghurt made by Paris Creek Farms in Adelaide…) Anyhoos the resulting breakfast is the yummest of the yum and a great source of fibre and all sorts of goodies!!!! Jah Love from Squirrel….

Emanuela January 12, 2014

Hi :) I’d love to try this recipe but I can’t find chia seeds in Italy…how can I substitute them? :) Thank you for sharing!

Lisa September 19, 2013

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been looking for something cold and healthy I could bring to work for breakfast. This is so filling & delicious. I put everything in an old salsa jar, seal it up, and grab out of the fridge in the a.m. I missed the a.m. part of adding the maple syrup and nut butter, and think it is great without.

Natasha August 17, 2013

This is by far the most delicious oatmeal breakfast I’ve had. I’ve been meaning to try your recipe for a while and finally did. I’m savoring the last bits of it now and am in heaven. thank you for posting this.

Julie T. August 14, 2013

Tomorrow is my daughter’s first day of 8th grade (we’re in California), and she asked for this for her first day breakfast! :) We call it “Oatmeal Pudding”, LOL Thanks for the great recipe!

Tricia Ewanchuk June 17, 2013

Just made this for the first time and it was amazing. Thank you for this recipe.

Gabrielle Hammer June 12, 2013

Brand new to this…can you use steel cut oats(aka pinhead oats) for this?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2013

I don’t recommend it – they are very very chewy and don’t get creamy like rolled oats. Of course, feel free to experiment though!

Jeff June 10, 2013

Wow!! love, love, love this recipe…tastes like banana bread but without the fat and calories. Also I have diabetes and found this recipe has no negative effect on my blood sugar ( a good thing).

Marg May 28, 2013

I have a recipe similar to this. I am not vegan but tried it and found it was so good I am hooked on VOO. I make mine in a jelly sealer and it’s a neat way to serve it in the morning. My grandkids love Grandma’s jarred Oatmeal “Pudding”
Per sealer I just add the measures into the jars one by one as listed in the recipe, so line them up into a production line.
1/3 c.old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 c.pure juice… your choice
1 tsp. honey or agava syrup
1/4 c. Silk Pure Almond
1 tsp. Chia seeds (if you have them but it works without also)
1/4 c. fresh fruit, blueberries, strawberries coarse chopped,raspberries, ripe bananas cut in 1/4 slices
I put the lid on the sealer, shake and store overnight in the fridge. It’s delicious! Just remove the lid and serve a jar per person.

Allison April 7, 2013

I just made overnight oats with chopped spinach, raisins, and cinnamon. Surprisingly delicious!

Emma March 31, 2013

Mmm I had this for breakfast today it’s lovely :) I bet it would be nice with chocolate milk instead of almond and the vegan equivalent of Nutella instead of nut butter!

Kelly March 14, 2013

Made this for today’s breakfast & it was really good!!! Thank You! I have tried overnight oats w/ yogurt and wasn’t that fond of it, but this one is a keeper. I felt great all morning, not hungry (usually an hour after breakfast I’m ravenous). It was nice that I did the prep the night before and it was just waiting for me in the fridge come morning!

Hannah February 22, 2013

I work at a donut shop and I’m converting to a plant strong/vegan diet, this will be just PERFECT for my situation! I can make it the night before then grab it at 3 in the morning and take it to work with me! LOVVVEEE!

Katie February 21, 2013

I made my overnight oats with my homemade almond milk (also your recipe!)… and I have to tell you, this is one of the most amazing breakfasts I have had in a while! Way better than using store bought almond milk!

Now I just need to find a way to use the leftover milled almonds from the milk process :)

Maria February 17, 2013

I just prepared this with millet flakes and oat milk – looking forward to the morning! (Wow, I actually wrote that, considering that in six hours I’ll have to get up on a Monday morning… wow.)

Healthnut Nutrition February 13, 2013

I’ve never tried over night oats but I might just have to since I have all the above ingredients:) I’ve been loving oatmeal in the morning and recently made an amazing batch which I posted on my youtube channel and blog you can check it out here: healthnutnutrition.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/the-best-oatmeal-ever/

Sarah January 31, 2013

Wow – this is truly the first batch of “oatmeal” that I’ve ever liked! This is also the first time I have used chia seeds – I loved the added thickness and tapioca-like texture they created. The only change I’ll make next time will be to blend the banana and milk (I used oat milk) together before letting it sit overnight, just to make it a bit smoother. Thanks for the recipe – I’m looking forward to trying new fruit and topping combinations!

Jenny January 10, 2013

I’m only very new to discovering the wonders of chia & I’m loving this recipe.
Of all the chia puddings I’ve tried this is my fav, I added a tablespoon of cacao powder & drizzled some maple syrup over the top then a sprinkling of shredded coconut

Rachel January 3, 2013

What an awesome recipe! Thank you so much Angela. I bought chia seeds for the first time just so I could use them for these oats and what a treat. So excited I finally have something filling and quick for breakfast.

Thank you again!
Rachel

Vegan Radhika SArohia December 16, 2012

Never even heard of heard of VOO till this blog! I didn’t even know what “VOO” was when I saw it in other ohsheglow posts on here till stumbling upon this entry [somehow found my way over to this post while trying to search out basil recipes for tomorrow haha]

Anyway, gonna have to purchase some chia seeds and try this out soon, looks good!:)

Kacey December 15, 2012

Is there anything I can use to replace the banana? I tried this today (omitting banana) and the texture was kinda strange and a little on the watery side. I’m thinking the banana probably helps with thickening it, but I can’t stomach them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2012

Hey Kacey, Im sorry I dont know of a sub. The banana def. thickens it up and sweetens nicely. you might be able to get away with grated apple but I dont think it will thicken quite as much. Youd probably need to reduce the milk content.

Katy November 9, 2012

Hi Angela,

I made this recipe last night for breakfast this morning along with 1 tbs chocolate peanut butter. In the morning, my VOO tasted yummy but the texture was sort of liquidy and soggy. Is that how it’s supposed to be? I like a breakfast bowl with a little more bulk. Should I add less milk or something? Figured I would ask you because you’re the queen of VOO and I’m determined to perfect mine! :)
Thanks so much.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2012

Hey Katy, Yes you are right, it’s supposed to be mushy, that’s just how this dish is and I know it’s not for everyone. That being said, you can certainly reduce the amount of milk next time. Also, the chia seeds are a necessary ingredient as they soak up a lot of the liquid. I encourage you to play around with the recipe until it suits your needs. Goodluck!

Wendy October 28, 2012

I have been wanting to try these, but this morning was the time but I had not prepped overnight also no chia seeds yet, so I combined everything and then microwaved for 1 min. Then let sit for 1 hour, then added cooking grade maple syrup and a single serving of Justin’s Almond butter, YUMMY! I will make an overnight batch for tommorow too, Thsnk you

Syd October 16, 2012

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for for about 10 months now when I made the transition to be vegan (I was vegetarian for 10 years prior) and I’ve been inching to make these oats since! I finally had the (pardon my french) balls to do it and I absolutely love them!!

Thanks for this recipe and I will make these often as I usually have to get up super early for work and have little time. I usually make a green smoothie but this is such a nice treat!

Syd from Halifax :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 16, 2012

So glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Dave October 5, 2012

Thank you very much for this delicious recipe!! This is so easy to make and is so good!!! It fills me up and I can go strong at work until lunch time with this awesome breakfast!! I also tried this with the green monster and what an awesome breakfast that made!! Thank you for such a wonderful awesome breakfast treat!!

Mandi Adler September 27, 2012

I eat different renditions of this daily. It’s also good with coconut milk. My favorite combo is with wheat germ and ground flax.

Diana September 2, 2012

Just started on overnight oats after finding this thread. Love them. I omit the banana and used dried currents or raisins instead. Wonderng, can you make up a weeks worth in separate containers at a time?

Kristen August 15, 2012

Just made my second batch. I use ground chia and unsweetened rice milk. In the morning I’ll be adding blueberries and baked apple chunks (apple, cinnamon, maple syrup). I add my banana in the morning too =)! Oh and some homemade granola too for crunch that has roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds in it! Eventually I’m going to try with some Sunbutter added in. Love all the suggestions here! Will be trying with pumpkin too! Wow…tons of ideas popping into my head!

niah June 21, 2012

I am trying this with steel cut oats! I wonder if steel cut is ok I also used another choco protein powder I had

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2012

Ive tried it with steel cut oats before and I didnt really care for it. I missed that creaminess from that rolled oats! I do know some ppl like it with SC though so you might enjoy it!