Sunsets And Great Friends

Hello!

Back to last night’s recap.

I feel like I am always a day behind when I am blogging on vacation…It is hard to keep up. ;) True dedication!

IMG 9951 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

Guess where this dress is from?

TARGET!!! Or should I say…Tarjet…the fancy way. ;)

Someone actually told me that Target is rumoured to be opening in Canadian locations shortly…I would be so happy if this is true.

Last night was lots of fun. We went over to my best friend’s parent’s condo for cocktails and then out for dinner. I have known Allison’s parents since grade 7! They are some of the the sweetest people I have ever met and are such good friends with my family. We dearly missed Al and her hubby last night though.

IMG 3052 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

Their condo is to die for and has the best view…

IMG 9956 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

IMG 9964 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

We sat on the balcony to watch the sunset.

IMG 9959 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

It was gorgeous!

IMG 3036 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

Appetizers…I had lots of veggies and roasted red pepper hummus. Mmmmm. I also had two glasses of white wine.

IMG 9961 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

IMG 9971 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

Group shot on timer! ;)

IMG 3054 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

IMG 3023 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

Then we were off to an Italian restaurant called Sam-Bucco’s. I called ahead to let the chef know that I was vegan and asked if there were any vegan options. Sometimes chefs get all flustered when I ask for something vegan so I thought I would be pro—active! To my delight the chef was more than accommodating. He basically said he could make ANYTHING and not to worry! My kind of man… ;)

Cathy and I split the Chilled Asparagus (without cheese) –Mandarin oranges, poached pears, pine nuts, golden raisins, shaved grana padano cheese, vinaigrette.

I want to make this at home! Fabulous. I would never have thought to combine these foods.

IMG 9975 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

Red wine was enjoyed…

IMG 9976 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

This morning my mom and I tried to determine how much wine we had, but we couldn’t! The waiter kept topping up our glass throughout the night so it was hard to tell. I’m guessing I had another two 6oz glasses at the restaurant…but like I said, who really knows! ;)

For dinner I ended up ordering two more appetizers and had them for my main course.

Eggplant Tourine… Layered roasted eggplant, avocado, roasted red peppers and tomatoes.

This was SOOOOO good. Lots of olive oil!

IMG 9983 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

House Salad

Baby greens, with cucumber, grape tomatoes and marinated mushrooms…I had it without the croutons and house dressing and had oil and vinegar instead.

IMG 9979 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

At the end of our meal the owner came out to talk to us…which is always a nice touch. He said, ‘You must be the vegan I spoke with!’

He was super nice and we chatted away about veganism. He is actually going vegan for two months right now as part of a religious commitment and he said that it is much easier than he thought. He also said he eats all the time now. Preaching to the choir…

He told us that I was the first vegan that he has ever had in this restaurant (to his knowledge)- and he said there was one vegetarian that he knew of. I guess it is not a popular area for vegetarians or vegans!!

We had a ball! Cathy and my mom are new BFF’s! Like Allison and I, my mom and Cathy are so much alike.

IMG 9986 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

Early this morning we got up, I took a rest day off exercise, and Eric and I helped my mom clean the condo before we left. We had to be out by 10am. We did a bunch of laundry, vacuumed, cleaned the counters, and took out all the garbage, etc. After saying our tearful goodbyes Eric and I were off to Sanibel Island for our LAST NIGHT of vacation. We keep saying what a wonderful vacation this has been because we don’t have the desire to go home yet. Usually we always feel ready to leave at the end, but we both wish we were staying another few days. It has been a great run though!

Sanibel Island is fabulous and we had lots of fun exploring. Our day involved beaches and dolphins…recap coming soon!

IMG 01052 thumb   Sunsets And Great Friends

Tomorrow we are up early for a run + bike tour of the island, checking out of our hotel, and then killing some time before our 8pm flight home. The good news is that the weather is going to be fabulous in Toronto when we return- 25C and sun!

Today’s question- Are you a big beach person? Are you the type of person who could stay at the beach all day long when on vacation or do you tend to stay away from it and prefer other things?

Eric and I are so not beach people- don’t get me wrong we LOVE the beach and love the water, swimming, sand, salty air, etc…but we can’t be in the sun for long. With our pale skin the sun really drains us after a couple hours. We also go stir crazy and have to be moving around a lot. I can ‘lay out’ at the beach for 30 mins. max before I get bored and have to swim or go somewhere! :) I can never sit still…

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 31, 2010

Love your Target dress!! I do love the beach, but I am also very pale. I prefer to sit at the pool. But going to the beach for a week each year is one of my favorite things to do! :)

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 31, 2010

Love that dress!! I’m kind of a beach person. I like to relax but I get really bored if I’m laying there for too long. I LOVE playing in the waves and snorkeling, though!

Jenny March 31, 2010

I’m a beach person, but I grew up in Clearwater so I don’t know if it counts:) I could spend ALL day at the beach (and well into the night!), and can’t wait to this coming summer!

Ashley March 31, 2010

What a fun day and the food all looks fabulous. SO nice when a restaurant can be that accommodating. I am totally the same with the beach. I LOVE it but can’t be there for more than 2hrs at a time..it’s relaxing but I start to get antsy. Hence our honeymoon to Ireland driving around the country in a rental car :)

Samantha March 31, 2010

looks and sounds like you’re having a blast!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 31, 2010

i am SUCH a beach person! on our honeymoon we stayed either in the room (wink wink) or on the beach, and that’s it! there were so many cool things to do on maui, but we were beach bums the whole time…and wouldn’t have it any other way!

Audrey March 31, 2010

I love your dress! What a gorgeous place–sunsets are one of my favorite things ever.

I’m so glad you enjoyed your vaca. I enjoyed it to! All your blog posts almost made me feel like I was soaking up the sun and enjoying all those new stores and eats right along with you guys! thanks for all your recaps. :)

Danielle (Coffee Run) March 31, 2010

Angela, you’re gorgeous!!
Hah about the comment from the chef- I totally relate. Going vegan = eating a lot lol

I love the beach :D

bitt March 31, 2010

you look so happy in all your pictures. looks like a fun vacation. glad you are finding that restaurants are veganising things for you.

*Andrea* March 31, 2010

oh my gosh you look so pretty!!!! your mom and you look so alike, both beautiful women! your mom reminds me of some actress i can’t put my finger on it. LOVE your the dress. such a pretty color, perfect for florida. i love target :) hope it moves up to canada! i went to sanibel island once as a little girl with my parents and sister and loved it.

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow March 31, 2010

We are such BEACH people! But not lay out beach people. We walk and walk and explore beaches. Good in that we are always moving but not so good because we are in the sun for so long! :) Sunscreen is a must!

nancylicious March 31, 2010

i am a total beach person – living in costa rica now!
that said, however, the beach does NOT equal just catching rays. i’m completely addicting to surfing at the moment – and there are plenty of bodyboarders, paddleboarders, skimmerboard(ers), and runners who enjoy the beach and stay active at the same time!

that said, i am not pale nor do i burn easily (though sunscreen is still a go) so perhaps i’m lucky!

*Andrea* March 31, 2010

also, i am a total beach person. i went insane on spring break this year because all ym girl friends were so antsy and had to be moving or doing something and i was perfectly happy with a drink in hand, on my towel, by the pool or beach tanning or reading for hours on end. pure bliss ;)

enjoy the rest of the trip!

Candice March 31, 2010

Love the dress – and you look beautiful! Glowing of course!

My husband and I are like you and Eric – we get super stir crazy if we spend too much time at the beach. We’d much rather be sightseeing and exploring! A few hours at the beach is always refreshing, though. Glad you guys have had such a great time. I’ve loved reading all your posts!

Jil March 31, 2010

Love the dress! and Target! haha Looks like an amazing evening! Their condo is absolutely stunnnning.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 31, 2010

What an adorable dress! It’s often surprising, the great clothes that can be found at Target!

I am so not a beach person either. Sitting in the sun and sweating just sounds so miserable.

Ameena March 31, 2010

I am not a beach person at all! In Hawaii we did everything except sit on the beach. :) Cute dress…Target rocks!

Lisa March 31, 2010

I am DEFINITELY a beach person! My idea of the perfect vacation would be laying on a beach with a book and an umbrella drink.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 31, 2010

What a gorgeous view from that balcony!!!! I love the beach! But I get sunburnt really easily so I havev to be careful :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 31, 2010

I LOVE the beach!!! I can lay out all. day. long!!
That condo is gorgeous!!! And your meal last night looks amazing, yum! So cool that the chef was so accommodating! Not many are like that!

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary March 31, 2010

I’m a moutain’s kind of gal ;) There’s nothing like being in nature next to some flowing water… very centering!
-Mary

Veggielady4life March 31, 2010

You know… I’ve always said that I like the beach… IN THEORY… but the actual act of getting all sandy and wet and sticky… I’m almost ashamed to say I’m not a fan. But your pictures are gorgeous!! Definitely looks like so much fun!

Amanda March 31, 2010

When I was visiting Canada a few weeks ago I heard from folks there that Zellers was purchased by the owners of Target and the stores will really start to be quite similar. The woman who told me this works for Covergirl and sets up the displays – when she went to Zellers she was told it needed to be set up the way Target does….might not be the same but maybe close:)

Maureen April 1, 2010

Could be possible Zellers is owned by the Hudsons Bay Company who were purhcased by a US company in the last year I believe.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] March 31, 2010

Very cute dress. I like your suit and shades too – so stylish ; )

Megan (from Happily Healthy) March 31, 2010

Wow!! I definetely need a condo like that! Looks soo nice! And I hope it’s true about the Canadian Targets. I think that would make my life haha!!

Jenn (eating bender) March 31, 2010

Ahhhh I love your dress from Tarjay :) I hope you get some in Canada. Although maybe not for the sake of your bank account because I swear I can’t go into a Target without spending at least $50. It’s a curse.

Love the wine a’flowin and so jealous that you got to visit Sanibel for a day! I used to go there with my family all the time when I was younger but it’s been ages!

I’m definitely not a beach person, though! Like you, I go stir crazy sitting in the sun for too long. I feel like I’m an egg frying on the towel :) But it’s always a fun vacation!

Lizz @ leadingthegoodlife March 31, 2010

I do like the beach, but I am more of a ‘mover’, like you. I have very very pale skin so I am constantly applying sunscreen – which is even more annoying when sand is involved! I just returned from a trip to LA and we only spent one afternoon on the beach. Otherwise we were walking, hiking, bike riding, or exploring the city!

TorontoGirloutWest March 31, 2010

First of all I LOVE your friend’s condo. I kind of want to move in! lol

Second of all – the picture of you and your hubby in the beach is beautiful! You both look so happy and relaxed! Totally frameable!!! :)

Jolene March 31, 2010

What an amazing looking condo!!!!

I am not a big beach person … I could never stay on the beach for more than about an hour. I would get so bored!

Oh, and you and Eric make a gorgeous couple!!!

bobbi March 31, 2010

Oh am I BEACH person!!!! I love the beach, hello CA!! I miss Hawaii everyday. My Hubby has pale skin so he loves umbrellas :) Oh and I love the dress, might have to go get it for Easter. Hope that’s ok ;)

jenn March 31, 2010

IT’s been fun reading about your Florida adventure. I grew up going to the same area visiting my great grandma so your posts have brought back very warm memories for me.

I’m NOT stereotypical beach person even though I live 5 minutes away. Don’t get me wrong I love LOOKING at the beach but I don’t like the sand, salt, and my pale skin is sensitive to the elements. That said I do love working out on the beach. It’s perfect for kettlebells and sprints.

Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES April 1, 2010

loveeee that dress. red is your color, chica!

Kim April 1, 2010

my husband and I are with you: NOT beach people. Don’t take me wrong, when we are on a tropical vacation we go to the beach everyday, but we never stay for more than 1.5 hours. we go, steak out a spot (usually in shade for my fair skin), have a swim for 20 minutes, lay in teh sun/shade to dry off and then it is off to our next destination! we are actually in his home country, Malta, in the Mediterranean right now on a 3 month sabbatical from Calgary. woo hoo! i don’t understand how people can lay in sun all day..I often think that their lives are so stressful that they just want to veg all day.

Erinn April 1, 2010

I have your dress!! Haha, my boyfriend thinks I’m incredibly lame for getting so excited for having the same dress as you.

“Is that the green monster lady?” It’s a work in progress…

Tania @ Moment Anew April 1, 2010

Angela, looks like you had a healthy, dreamy vacay :)
Are you driving or flying back? I hope you’re not flying with Sky Service, they just went under today. It’s all over the news here.

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear April 1, 2010

I love going to the beach! I think it’s because we don’t really have one (or beach weather either….) here in South Finland BUT one week is absolutely the max time I can spend at a beach resort, I need some activities and exploring too :)

Mel April 1, 2010

That is a gorgeous condo! Angela, I just wondered if you were aware that animal products such as egg whites, gelatin or isinglass are often used when making wine, in the clarification process? Maybe you have decided to make an exception in this case? I’m not being critical at all, just curious!

M April 1, 2010

Per Mel’s point — there is actually an app (Vegan Express) that tells you which alcoholic beverages are vegan!
It has info for chain restaurants (blech) and other products, too.

It is not 100% accurate, so it’s best to confirm on the restaurant’s website or with the chef, but it can be really helpful if you’re in a pinch!

Lizzie April 1, 2010

Ummmm . . .. yes!!! Absolutely a beach person. There’s something very thought provoking about being at the beach. I can sit out if I have a good book, but I like to swim and run/walk along the beach too. North American winters have made me appreciate them even more!!

I can’t believe your holiday is over already!! It felt like it just started – hopefully you feel it’s been longer! :)

Natasha April 1, 2010

I grew up near the beach in Australia. I could stay a good portion of the day as long as I have some shade, a supply of sun-block, a wide brim hat and a light shirt with long sleeves. I don’t mind laying out on the beach for an hour or two with a magazine, but in the end some swimming and a nice long walk with my feet in the water are the best part. That and soaking myself in the salt water is so beneficial for my skin, and I love how I look and feel after a visit to the beach. :-)

Page 1 of 212»