Goodness ME!

Greetings!

Well, I LOVED the Camelbak!!! No chafing whatsoever. It was so light I barely noticed it too. I can’t believe I waited this long to get one. :)

I had an awesome run. I think I also broke my shoes in more because the balls of my feet didn’t feel as much pressure on them as compared to the first time. I’m sure it is just an adjustment period.

I ran a speedy 6.45 miles in 59 minutes!

I could get used to this…

IMG_9915

Came back showered, had some cereal, and hit the road. We had planned on going to this mini putt place, but it was way too busy and would have taken too long to get through.

IMG_9851

We ended up at Coconut Point Mall- another huge outdoor mall.

hehe not sure what my mom is doing here, but it sure is cute ;)

IMG_9835  IMG_9860

We went to the For Goodness Sake Natural Food Market for lunch!!!

By the way, I meant to mention that I have found most of the trip restaurants from a fabulous website called Happy Cow. A bunch of you suggested it to me, and it is AWESOME. You can search anywhere in the world for vegetarian and vegan restaurants. :mrgreen:

IMG_9865 IMG_9866

It didn’t look like much from the outside, but my oh my was it amazing inside!!!! It was like a mini Whole Foods only with MORE selection (at least compared to the Canadian Whole Foods!). Eric squealed, ‘ANGE THEY HAVE MAPLE ALMOND BUTTER!!!!!!’ and I almost died laughing!

How does he know about this stuff??? ;)

IMG_9870 IMG_9874

It has been way too long since I have had a fresh juice so I knew immediately what I was going to start with. I got the Veggie Awareness in 8oz and some wheatgrass juice—all was made fresh before my bulging eyes!

IMG_9900IMG_9901

If there was ever a more appropriate time…

BOOM!!!!

IMG_9878

My juice on the left (fabulous!) and Eric’s strawberry- banana- apple smoothie (also fabulous!) I was so shocked when Eric got a smoothie because he has always hated smoothies and now he loves them all of a sudden.

IMG_9879IMG_9892

Eric got the Chicken melt on a sprouted grain bagel! He loved it.

IMG_9880

I got the veggie sandwich on sprouted grain bread (toasted of course).

IMG_9902

IMG_9884

With chips…

IMG_9889

Do I even need to say how this tasted?

IMG_9894

IMG_9875

Then I went shopping for dessert- literally!

I got these raw and vegan LEMON DROPS which were out of this world.

IMG_9903 IMG_9904

Then I got some other fun things, most of which I have never tried before! Have you ever had any of these products?

IMG_9906 IMG_9907

By the way, I am obsessed with dried mango lately!!

IMG_9908

Once home we went on a walk and saw more wildlife!

IMG_9924

Eric was crazy and got within a few feet of the baby…I was nervous!

IMG_9916 IMG_9921

Mid street yoga…why not? ;)

IMG_9936

IMG_9929

It is now late and we just got back from cocktails and a wonderful dinner out with friends (and I am struggling to type!). Recap coming tomorrow!

We are off to pack up as it is our last night in this condo with my parents! Early tomorrow we are off for Sanibel Island where we will spend our last day on the beach and going out to sea for a Dolphin cruise. :) Apparently there is free wireless from the motel, so I should be good to go.

Today’s question- what is your favourite ‘splurge worthy’ food product from a natural food store?

I was all excited to try out Kombucha today and then I got sidetracked by the other products and forgot to buy it.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

1 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) March 30, 2010

Thanks for the heads-up on that website. Finding good veggie restaurants can be really hard overseas so I’m definitely bookmarking that ASAP. :D

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 30, 2010

Hahaha I love that you said Eric squealed…he is sucha cutie. Oh I ran for 59 minutes today too :)

I’ve tried the chocolate Go Raw crackers–the whole bag went down in minutes. AMAZING!! I also got a HUGE sample of Theo chocolates–those too went down fast. I had the help of my family though because it was over Thanksgiving.

I love dried mango slices–the natural kind, no added sugars. So tangy and tough to chew.

3 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 30, 2010

Oh and Justin’s almond butter is life changing. I can suck down those packets on their own.

Okay now I sound crazy.

4 NC March 31, 2010

I totally second that . The maple almond butter is amazing….. I’m completely addicted to it :) . Good to know I am not the only one who is addicted to the nut butters… Hope you like it .

5 pam landy March 30, 2010

WOAH, as I am reading this I am eating “go raw original super cookies.” They are absolutely delicious. I haven’t tried the “go raw super chips” yet. Let me know how they are. Hmmm besides your glo bars (my absolute favorite) I think I would pick Trader Joe’s blueberry, raspberry oat bran muffins!

6 Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) March 30, 2010

Artisana walnut butter was my big splurge at a health food store!

Glad to hear you’re having a great trip :)

7 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) March 30, 2010

I love buying kombucha every once in a while – it’s definitely my funny health quirk/splurge. Looks like you found your vegan heaven, and that Eric liked it as well too!
Oh, and maple almond butter? Sounds amazing.

8 Jenny March 30, 2010

I love Newmans – they’re $5 a box here, that’s. A splurge for me!

9 Lauren March 30, 2010

I like to buy kale chips from the natural food store when I’m too lazy to make them myself. They are so good, and they are so easy to make, so I really have no excuse. And they’re really expensive at the natural food store. What can I say? I’m flawed.

Everything looks so beautiful! Love the pictures. I like to do random yoga in the street too. People think I’m crazy, but thats part of the fun.

10 Jessica March 30, 2010

I too just picked up a similar packet of the Justin’s Almond Butter and Peanut Butter but have yet to try either.

11 Toni March 30, 2010

Your trip thus far has sounded fabulous! Good food, friends and family! What more could a girl want?! Sanibel is absolutely gorgeous as well as Captiva! Great beaches, sunsets, wildlife, biking paths,and restaurants. My personal favorite is “The Island Cow.” They have a huge menu and great salads!

12 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 30, 2010

definitely flavored nut butters…i love them but it’s definitely a splurge for me! either that or really great cheese :)

13 *Andrea* March 30, 2010

i loveeeee dried mango too! it takes me a while to chew, which i love because i easily eat dried cherries and pineapple by the handful! lol. your trip sounds so fun! love all the delicious vegan eats

14 Audrey March 30, 2010

I’ve had the GoRaw Pizza chips and they were incredible.

15 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 30, 2010

Cashew butter! sooooo good but definitely a splurge!

16 Patrice March 30, 2010

Haha, the “Zzzzzzzz” at the end explains a lot.

17 Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES March 30, 2010

oooooooh those sandwiches and chips!!!

aaaalways splurge on new nut butters. i feel like they always prove to be worthy “investments” :)

18 Brynn March 30, 2010

Theo! I live near the factory and love walking through and tasting all the crazy flavors. They have a dark chocolate orange bar that reminds me of the chocolate oranges I used to get in my stocking at Christmas.

19 Jenny (Green Food Diaries) March 30, 2010

my favourite are DEFINITELY raw crackers! I get them from Noah’s in Toronto, I’m not sure if Whole Foods have them.

20 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition March 31, 2010

I have a Natural Food store addiction! I pass 3 on my way to work in NYC. Love them. Spend WAY too much money at them!

That’s my favorite Yoga pose…you look great!! I do it everywhere cool i go :) haha

xo

Jocelyn

21 Jolene March 31, 2010

Splurge Worthy:

– Amazing Grass Powder
– Coconut Bliss
– Organic Spelt Pasta
– 8 dollar PB & Co. Peanut Butter

22 Melissa (Veggie Bites) March 31, 2010

I actually just tried the acai and pomegranate vita coco tonight. My friend who tried it with me didn’t like it much but I really did! I think it’s supposed to be much more hydrating than water, so it would probably be great after a workout!

23 Jamie @ Tearaveler March 31, 2010

Ha LOVE the name of the natural food store – for goodness sake! Catchy, creative, I like it! =) My food splurge would have to be pistachios.. or a few good tomatoes… to a college student they are pretty pricey! Hah

24 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete March 31, 2010

Yay! I’m glad that you like your camelbak. It is an essential for me for any run over an hour. I hate the running belts. Plus, when I race, I feel so much lighter than I do on my training runs with it on!

25 Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear March 31, 2010

I could get used to that weather too, but to the wildlife :D

Amazing eats again!

26 Laura March 31, 2010

I love the happy cow website, I always check it before I’m going somewhere new

27 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 31, 2010

I love getting komboucha too! Chocolate chewies from Whole Foods are also a great treat!

28 Ellen March 31, 2010

Kombucha and coconut water are my faves. It’s getting expensive, but coconut water has become my during and post-workout drink of choice.

29 Pure2Raw Twins March 31, 2010

Coconut water and fresh coconuts is one of my favs to buy at the store. And love Kombucha though lately have been making it myself to help with cost. So happy to see that you are having a great time down in FL – where I am from in that area :) Coconut Point is such a fun place to shop and hang out.

30 Jil March 31, 2010

Ohh, that market looks amazing! And I’m not vegan or technically vegetarian (though I don’t eat much meat, period) but I will definitely have to check out happycow.com – that sounds amazing. It’s always so hard to find good, healthy restaurants in an area you don’t know much about!!

31 Erin March 31, 2010

I eat those Super Chips ALL the time!!! I have the kind in the green package that you posted and also another flavor in a yellow package in my pantry. They are awesome. I buy them at the North Carolina version of Whole Foods called Earth Fare (which is my all-time favorite store).

32 Erin March 31, 2010

PS- Dried mango (unsweetened) is my favorite snack. I buy mine at Earth Fare and Trader Joes. It makes me sad when Trader Joes is out of it. :(

33 Lia March 31, 2010

I will splurge on local organic eggs…they’re so expensive but hopefully the price means the chicks didn’t suffer at all! Also…organic pistachios.

It’s adorable that your husband got so excited about maple almond butter lol!

34 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 31, 2010

That place looks awesome! I think all natural vegan protein powder, or Amazing grass is splurgeworthy enough for me!!

I LOVE that maple almond butter, those go raw chips AND that vitacoco! You’ll love it all! =D

xo
K

35 Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind March 31, 2010

Angela, I think you needed this vacation. You usually sound happy, but your vacation posts have sounded REALLY happy. :)

Bet you’re…glowing. Haha ba dum ch!

36 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 31, 2010

I’ve tried other flavors of those goraw chips and I really like them!! Their “original” flavor is like coconut cookies!

37 Kris March 31, 2010

Coconut Point mall is great, and your lunches looked delish! I love dried mango and coconut water. We def have a lot of wildlife here in FL, unfortunately I see mostly snakes and gators.

38 Katie March 31, 2010

Looks like a gorgeous day with beautiful scenery and great food!

39 Meg's Gut March 31, 2010

Dried mango is the best. Have you ever had the 7D brand? It’s by far my favourite.
Splurge worth food product = coconut butter! Love it!

40 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 31, 2010

If I can say it again…you are seriously making me miss South Florida. I’m going to Pensacola in a month, but that’s just not the same. Have fun!

41 Lisa March 31, 2010

Yea, I’m so happy you get to go to Sanibel. It is the neatest place and great for shells.

42 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 31, 2010

Granola and organic yogurts are my splurges.

Also, it looks beautiful there! But you’ll be happy to know it’s getting warmer here in Ontario. If you’re getting home for the weekend, you’ll be just in time for 20+ degree temperatures! :)

43 Julie @SavvyEats March 31, 2010

The Justin’s Maple Almond Butter is amazing!!! Eating some right now, actually :)

44 Kelly March 31, 2010

Both those sandwiches looked absolutely amazing. Have fun in Sanibel, I hear it is beautiful.

45 Christina March 31, 2010

That Happy Cow website is great!! Thanks :)

I’m not a fan of that coconut water but I love Justin’s Almond butter!!

46 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 31, 2010

I love Teavana. I have had the Justin’s pb, yum and I love Woodstock farms product. I went to Theo’s chocolate’s a few months ago when I was in Seattle Washington. It is delicious chocolate.

47 Jennie {in Wonderland} March 31, 2010

Sanibel! My parents go there every year for a month… this year they are going twice. Obsessed doesn’t even begin to cover it. I get to go for 1 week next year and I’m so excited!

My favourite splurge is probably PB & Co Peanut Butter [although it’s actually cheap in the UK… only £1.89] and hemp oil. I also love different teas, nutritional yeast and spelt flour. I spend so much cash to keep myself in my favourite goodies, but it’s worth it.

48 Amy March 31, 2010

You have hot legs.

That is all. :)

49 Diana @ frontyardfoodie March 31, 2010

Oh that all looks so fun!

My favorite splurge item is always some crazy fruit I’ve never seen or eaten before. I love the experience! Then I have to go study up on them which is always good.

50 mrs.mfc March 31, 2010

I have tried vita coco! Actually, my husband is a wine sales rep for a beverage distribution company that has just started selling vita coco. I have had the regular coconut water, and also the pom/acai one. I really like both of them, but I think I like the regular one the best.

51 Lauren March 31, 2010

My favorite health food store splurge would have to be Ooba hibiscus drinks. They’re so addictive! I can’t wait to catch myself a husband one day and turn him into a health food lover just like Eric. :)

52 Paige @ Running Around Normal March 31, 2010

LOL, yet again, Eric squeeling about maple nut butter reminds me of something my hubby would do :-p
I’ve never tried the GoRaw snacks, but I have seen them. I have tried bananas though ;) hehe
Have a great day!! :)

53 Katie March 31, 2010

I LOVE dulse. It’s a bout $7/bag, but it’s packed really tightly and goes a long way. I love topping my salads with it and a bit of avocado… it’s a salty sea vegetable and always makes me SO much more excited to eat my packed lunches at work!

54 Lisa March 31, 2010

Shitake mushroom “beef” jerky from Planet Organic. It’s $3 per stick, which, if you eat a lot of them, can really add up.

55 AJ March 31, 2010

Hi Angela, I don’t think I’ve ever commented before but I love your blog!!

I was just whole foods and almost bought dried mango, but decided to splurge on raw blondie macaroons by The Living Cuisine. They are so good!! My new favorite dessert! If you try Kombucha, you should try the Passionberry Bliss, I’ve tried a few flavors and that one is my favorite =)

56 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 31, 2010

Kombucha is definitely my biggest splurge!! I love fun health food stores :-)

57 Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear March 31, 2010

We don’t have Justin’s Butter anywhere here except in the small packets like what you bought :(

I love all the drinks Whole Foods has to offer, minus Kombucha, (just can’t get into that stuff) so that is always a little splurge for me.

I’ve been considering a Camelbak now that I am running longer distances, glad to hear you liked yours so much!

58 chandra h March 31, 2010

great job on the run! what beautiful scenery… :)

my favorite splurge worthy HF products = raw cacoa beans + goji berries, yummmm

<3 http://www.prettytimepiece.org

59 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 31, 2010

Awww how cute about Eric!!! Blogger husband award :)
Justin’s almond butter is great!! As well as Kombuchas. It’s an acquired taste but SO good!
That sandwich looks the BOMB!

60 Kelly March 31, 2010

I went through a period where I was obsessed with dried mango!! The unsweetened stuff is so tasty and chewy, I love it! I haven’t had it in awhile but I also haven’t been back to Bulk Barn to get some! :)

That’s cute that Eric got excited about the almond butter. I haven’t tried that one but I can’t wait to one day!

61 Nicole March 31, 2010

Your sandwich looks delish! I’m not a fan of Vitacoco but I love Justin’s maple almond butter. I’m actually eating it as I type ;)

62 Mandy@OneHungryMess March 31, 2010

Omgggg! Isn’t teavana the coolest tea place ever? I love how they fan the tea into your face to smell it. Always makes me laugh :P

Those maple almond butter packets are to die for! They keep me from eating a whole jar of it.

I consider every trip to a health food store a splurge. Only kidding, but seriously. :) Hard to come by here in good ol Wisconsin! (In my best hick accent)

63 Cynthia (It All Changes) March 31, 2010

My favorite splurge is Crofters because it is low enough sugar that I can eat but is still jam.

64 Sarah March 31, 2010

coconut water is GREAT during/after runs! so hydrating and refreshing. those lemon drops look absolutely amazing too.

65 Sophie @ yumventures March 31, 2010

I always splurge on organic meat. I won’t have it any other way :)

66 Carrie (Love Healthy Living) March 31, 2010

Looks like you are having a great vacation. With all of that exercise, you must feel fabulous. Enjoy!!!

67 Mo March 31, 2010

Your light orange shirt from Target looks great on you – it’s a really good color!

You are heading to one of my favorite spots in the whole world….Sanibel Island! Lucky you!

68 Gina March 31, 2010

My favorite splurge is coconut butter…it’s so expensive, I should really try making my own. Love the new products…I just bought the Theo cherry almond bar last weekend…it’s sooo good…the boyfriend didn’t like it and I was secretly thankful because I won’t mind eating the whole thing! On a side note, Theo’s chocolate factory is here in Seattle and I am hoping to schedule a tour this summer…apparently you get tons of free samples during the tour…could be dangerous!!!

Ps. I love doing random yoga poses in photos!!! So cute:)

69 Christine (The Raw Project) March 31, 2010

Awesome food, the sandwich looks wonderful. My favorite health splurges are raw chocolate and super-cashew creamed kale chips.

70 Lizz (Leading the Good Life) March 31, 2010

Thanks so much for reviewing the camelbak! I’ve been contemplating getting one, but I was worried about chafing, too.

71 Callie March 31, 2010

My parents live on Sanibel Island and I spent two weeks there every winter growing up. It’s so beautiful and the wildlife is amazing. There are great bike trails in Ding Darling Animal Preserve and you can rent 2 person bikes. Have fun!

72 Jenny March 31, 2010

I love Kombucha though it’s pricey so I try to only get it occasionally. I also love the Vita Coco coconut water. It’s great anytime but that potassium actually makes it really good if you over-indulged and wake up hungover :) That with some B-12 is my go-to hangover cure!

73 Beccy March 31, 2010

Love your website – don’t remember how I happened upon it, but I have been trying to get everyone I know to try the green monsters – most people are so surprised that they like them! My husband (previously not a breakfast person) is hooked too – he says he just doesn’t feel as well during the day without one! Your Florida trip looks like it has been a great time! Hope you have fun in Sanibel – one of our favorite destinations if you are looking for an easy, laid-back time – enjoy!

74 Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow March 31, 2010

Whole foods store + juice bar + delish food = MY DREAM!

I was in California this weekend and the whole foods store we went to was just unreal! I could live and work there and be one happy lady!

My favorite splurge would probably be coconut butter. So fabulous and delish but often doesn’t meet the budget.

75 Baroque Diva March 31, 2010

Sanibel Island is sooooo beautiful. Can’t wait to see pics from your trip there, I know my way around that island very well.

I agree that the GoRaw products are awesome, although TOO EXPENSIVE! A small bag of granola is $13.99 at Whole Foods here in Boston! I still splurge on that, and organic kale, which is $2.99 for a small bunch! (We go through a lot more than that small bunch in a week, lemme tell you!)

76 Angela March 31, 2010

That food store looks crazy good!! My fave splurge items are the tahini chip cookies from WF bakery!! I grab a few and eat them over the course of a week.

Enjoy your last night at the condo!! It’s been a great trip!

77 Melissa March 31, 2010

Again, some great eats! Ahh, I can’t wait to be wearing shorts again:) I’ve heard of the go raw brand but not the almond milk brand ( if that’s what is in the tetra pack, I didn’t go in for a close up). My splurge item is medjool dates. They are super expensive here in BC but I’m so addicted to them:)
Enjoy the rest of your trip and have a great time on that cruise..sounds like fun!

78 Megs March 31, 2010

I love that coconut water! It’s amazing in smoothies and for post-workout (or post-night out) recovery! Maple almond butter sounds amaaaazing.

79 Nat March 31, 2010

I usually splurge on baking ingredients because they last longer (probably not for you since you’re a baker and all!). Also a new bar always gets me! PB&J Larabar? Yes please. I’ll take 4.
Have fun on the rest of your lovely vaca!

80 Jayme March 31, 2010

i gotta say, i am lovinnn these florida posts, it feels like i’m there for the 10 minutes it takes to read it.
i always splurge on flavoured nut butters and greek yogurt, and any tasty cereals that we don’t get up north. :)

81 Kimberly March 31, 2010

Hi Angela! :) My favorite splurge would have to be the “nut butters”. Regular PB is cheaper than the other nut butters, but making your wallet a little lighter to buy some Barney Butter is totally worth it! I L-O-V-E Bee’s Knees as well and could literally eat both them straight from the container :P I actually picked up a SYNERGY (Kombucha) in DIVINE GRAPE flavor (grape is my go-to) from Naturally Yours today and it was BOMB!

I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing your pics. Informative and fun at the same time! :)

Enjoy the rest of your vacay! Looks FABULOUS!

82 Laura March 31, 2010

My current favourite splurge – Amy’s Organic Refried Black Beans! They probably aren’t that expensive in the US and Canada but they are here in Aus.

83 Eliana >^..^ April 1, 2010

You need to try the dried mango from Kopali, I love that company as it is all fair trade and organic. You can find it at Whole foods.

I need to try that maple almont butter. Yumm.

84 Dominique April 3, 2010

Right now my biggest splurge is Vita Coco water, the one that’s actually in your photo! It reminds me of a fresh young coconut, which sometimes my dad gets for me at the grocery store when they’re on sale. Nothing beats Vita Coco though. I’ve tried some of the cheaper Asian brands but they’re filled with other stuff (sugar, water, coconut pulp–which I don’t like) but at $2.39 for the smaller size or $2 on sale at the Whole Foods in Yorkville–it’s a big splurge for me. The Yorkville WF has had it on sale for the past month now and last time I went I got a dozen and got an extra 10% for buying so many. I was going to purchase the larger size but with the sale price, the smaller size was even cheaper. Now I just need to ration my coco water.

Mmm…maple almond butter…it’s like the best of both worlds. I wonder if I can find that anywhere in Toronto.

85 Kathryn September 9, 2010

Oh TEAVANA – we have one in our mall, I love all the little samples. I bought the most delicous iced tea there this summer but it was $5.00!!! OMG I think it was worth it though ;)