Tropical Lemon Coconut Muffins

For a very important date!

Thanks to my lovely mother in law, our clocks are now set to the right time this morning!

Eric and I had a leisurely breakfast this morning and then we received her time-change reminder email around 11:30am. Who knows how long we would have gone had she not emailed us! lol.

Now, despite our lazy morning, I feel like I am running behind and I need to catch up! I sure love Springing Forward, but I do not like missing an hour out of the day…

Our weather continues to be very Spring like…

IMG_8778

However, the weather is supposed to be warm and sunny all week, and just as it gets cool again we will be on a plane for FL! :)

Some of you asked if we are taking Sketchie on our trip with us…LOL…sadly, no! My in laws are coming to stay at our house while we are away to cat sit for us. He loves the in laws (I think more than us!) so he will have a grand old time I’m sure!

Let’s rewind to yesterday’s shopping trip at the outlet mall…

Do you ever have high hopes for a shopping trip and you don’t find ONE thing!? That was me yesterday!

Fun things about shopping:

• Spending time with girlfriends
  • Summer clothes
  • Starbucks or Mall juices when you are dying of thirst
  • Sales

Not so fun things about shopping:

• Trying on a million things and not finding anything
  • Huge crowds, people running into you
  • Not finding a parking spot
  • Too loud music in the stores

Krissy and I went into Guess and we said to ourselves…I think we are getting OLD because this music is just way too loud! It was really bad music too.

It was still pouring rain when we left and made for another 1 hour + drive home.

This morning’s breakfast however, was very tropical! I needed something to brighten the morning…

IMG_2301

Close your eyes and picture a tropical beach. Picture the smell of coconut and lemon and the richness of coconut butter all melting together…

I recently met a wonderful lady named Ricki Heller from Diet, Dessert, n Dogs. Ricki is the former owner of a Toronto Bakery called Bake It Healthy and she is also the author of this wonderful cookbook:

IMG_2309

It is called Sweet Freedom and it is fabulous. It features breakfast recipes, baking tips and tricks, cookies, bar, squares, cakes, cupcakes, frostings, cheesecakes, and raw and no baked treats! All baked with healthy ingredients of course.

IMG_2310

The recipes in this book are very unique and you can tell that she put so much time and effort into every page. I was blown away by the creativity of Ricki’s recipes.

For example: ‘Sweet Potato and Chocolate Chip Muffins’, ‘Cinnamon Coffee Toffee Bars’, ‘Plum Topped Cornmeal Cake’, ‘Twice Spiced Ginger Biscuits’, and ‘Chai Cheesecake’. You will not find these recipes anywhere else. The recipes take more time than I am used to, but the results are definitely worth it.

IMG_2293

These were really tropical tasting. Lemon and coconut muffins…who knew?!

IMG_2296

With some vegan margarine…

IMG_2306

So good! I had two for breakfast and didn’t think I would be full, but I am actually not hungry at all. Must be those filling coconut oils!

GLO BAR DEADLINE:

Don’t forget tomorrow is the LAST day you can place a Glo Bar order and have it shipped out before I leave for my trip! Otherwise, I will not be shipping out orders again until the second week of April! There may or may not be some sales going down! ;)

Plans for today include:

• Workout (I am going to try HITT running today!)
  • Helping Eric with renos in the scary basement
  • Meeting a girlfriend for tea
  • Cleaning bathrooms
  • Packing for trip/digging out summer clothes

A huge congrats to Caitlin for rocking the triathlon this morning!

Enjoy your Sunday :)

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
DS May 26, 2016

Hi Angela! Thank you for your amazing recipes! Don’t know how I’d have got through my vegan journey without them :)

A quick question about these muffins – Do they freeze well? And how long would you recommend?

Thank you again!

Pat November 29, 2015

Can I substitute the spelt for almond meal (made from my almond milk)?

Mimi October 29, 2015

Hi Angela – just tried these and they’re delicious! Does anyone know the nutrition info per serving?

Amra February 1, 2015

I love all your recipes , they are soo delicious . It is truly hard to pick a favorite one , but I love your Lemon and Coconut muffins yummy . I was thinking of trying and replacing lemon with blueberries and see how that tastes .

BigHeart October 21, 2014

Hi,
I have tried this recipe several times. I love the flavour but they always turn out super crumbly. Is there something I am doing wrong or something I can add to prevent this? Thanks in advance. I visit your site often.
xo

Jodie May 13, 2014

I’ve made these twice because I really liked the flavor. I did however just scrape the batter into an 8″ round cake pan the second time so it felt like a bigger result than 6 muffins. Both muffins and cake were slightly dry and slightly crumbly. . . . how can I fix this? I found one site that suggested less baking powder?? What do you think?

Adding a handful of chocolate chips was really tasty :)

Jodie April 29, 2014

This is the second muffin recipe of yours that I’ve tried and it’s another keeper! Although not as moist as the blueberry banana, they’re still a pleasant change of flavor. I’d use more lemon zest next time and double the recipe. 6 muffins just wasn’t enough for the effort. I only used half a cup of maple syrup and the sweetness was fine. But I also added chocolate chips! :)

Debbie February 12, 2014

Those muffins were SO delicious. Being a registered dietitian and health conscious I was hoping I could find the nutrition information for them somewhere (anywhere). They were so yummy. Thank you for posting!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness March 17, 2010

Lemon & Coconut go so well together, who knows why!.. Another great addition.. white chocolate!

SoVeryFabulous March 16, 2010

Those muffins look and sound delicious! I think I may try them out this weekend. I love that I already have most of the ingredients on hand. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Lori March 15, 2010

Those muffins look and seem so delicious and decadent! I cannot wait to try them!
Yay to the vacation! You’ve worked hard creating your dream (and someday mine… well not really but I would LOVE it) bakery creating the best looking and sounding foods!
Have a great vaca!

Audrey March 15, 2010

I don’t think you’re getting old, loud music in stores always bothers me, too. Maybe I’m an atypical teen in that way, but I’m always like “geesh! I only have one pair of ear drums!” Haha.

Ricki is awesome! Her stuff in so creative and I love reading her blog. These muffins sound great! They look super moist, too. :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] March 15, 2010

those muffins sound AMAZING! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen March 15, 2010

The same thing happened to my boyfriend and I yesterday. It wasn’t until I turned on my computer at 12:00. Kind of nice knowing we spent the morning not thinking about time. And I LOVE Ricki’s book. She is a delightful!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) March 15, 2010

I hope you love Florida! I am heading to NYC.

Those muffins look delish!

Neven March 14, 2010

Sweet Freedom looks like a winner. I’ll have to order a copy, my husband and son would love those muffins.

island girl March 14, 2010

hey angela! those muffins look great, i can’t wait to make them! do you know how many calories are in one muffin?

kalli@fitandfortysomething March 14, 2010

those muffins look amazing! yes sometimes shopping can be very draining….i try to take it in small chunks or I go crazy!

Kelly March 14, 2010

Those recipes do sound good, especially the muffins you made and the sweet potato muffins. Unfortunately I am major slacker when it comes to baking and I like it to be as quick as possible haha. Though if I have many more rainy days like this I guess I could spend some time baking haha.
Sorry about the shopping trip. I definitely have days like that where I just find nothing I want!

Christine (The Raw Project) March 14, 2010

I forgot about the time change too, lol. The muffins look great! I have not been outlet shopping in awhile, but I’m itching to go now.

Aoife - Adventures in Veg March 14, 2010

Aw those muffins look so nice…am practically drooling here! I love Ricki’s blog, she seems like the sweetest person, I bet you two got on so well :)

I just wanted to say too, I know this sounds silly as we don’t know each other but I’m so excited for you getting to go on a fab holiday – you work so hard, you and Eric really deserve a lovely holiday together. I’ve never been to Florida but I imagine it’s really relaxed with lovely weather!